RMT Gen 8 VGC A COALOSSOL VICTORY (VGC Series 6 /Season 10 RMT)

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Its a cheesy team strat, but after being a bit tilted at the end of season 6, decided to just chuck a good old fashioned Coalossal team together. I'm having a lot of fun with it, maybe go and try it out on the ladder as well!

[EDIT 09/10/2020] - Reached Master Ball Tier, initially ranked at no.703 in the world with 11 straight wins. Will keep playing ranked over the weekend. Just... Shocked.

FB_IMG_1602221011032.jpg

Coalossal-Gmax @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Steam Engine
Level: 50
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Meteor Beam
- Solar Beam

Primarina (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball

Sneasel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Lash Out
- Icicle Crash
- Surf

Cofagrigus @ Mental Herb
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Body Press
- Imprison

Tsareena (F) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Sweet Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Triple Axel
- Protect

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

2020100205510900-B8FAEF4816CAC2B76D11869B05CA7601.jpg

Coalossal-Gmax (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Steam Engine
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Meteor Beam
- Solar Beam

Main sweeper of the team, and still surprises people. Which is scary, because to be honest, this is the what VGC 2020 is all about. Gigantamaxing, procing Weakness Policy, smashing things in front of you.

Moveset is pretty standard, but it works. Heat Wave gives him the ability to sweep outside of Gigantamax, as Solar Beam is his only move to hit Water types with (GASTRODON), while Meteor Beam is his strongest Rock move (Hyper Beam type move).

There's a few nuances to play around with this thing though. Even with Modest, 236 Speed, he is very slow, netting him 80 Speed. Thats a lot of investment for something that is so slow, but it hits 360 Speed after the Steam Engine is procced, which is fast enough to outrun everything up to 180 Speed with Tailwind - thats base 100 invested territory. WITH Tailwind (Talonflame with that turn one, priority Tailwind is ridiculously common though).

Protect can also be used to set up Weakness Policy. I had one game where I lead Sneasel + Coalossal, and had Tsreena + Primarina in the back. Gastrodon Max Geysered Coalossal through Protect, doing about 1/3 damage. I then set up Sun with a Max Flare into his Lycanroc, KOing Lycanroc with Icicle Crash from Sneasel. I then lived a second Max Geyser, which was weakened due to Sun. For a Pokémon with 4x weaknesses, playing around Protect and Sunlight can allow him to live longer.

Primarina (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball

Coalossal Support No.1 and back up sweeper. Primarina is probably the best attacker in the format right now. Great typing, great movepool, huge Special Attack, great Special Defence, and is generally difficult to OHKO, especially dynamaxed.

But most Primarina's are Life Orb'd, and have Hydro Cannon for raw power, and Liquid Voice Hyper Voice for a STAB Water spread move. Because I want to run Aqua Jet, I need a Water STAB move, as Hydro Cannon is a two turn attack, and Hyper Voice actually turns to Max Strike when Dynamaxed. So I've had to go Torrent + Hydro Pump to give her some power outside of Dynamax. Its a bit of a handicapped moveset, but it works.

Moonblast is for Fairy STAB, and Energy Ball is amazing for bulky Waters, OHKOing Gastrodon without Rindo Berry, and giving the rest a few troubles along the way.

Aqua Jet is amazing, and allows you to get set up against Talonflame and outrun most of their 'mons. I've lead this a lot, especially if they don't have Amoonguss, Gastrodon or Clefairy / Clefable. Being a weak Priority move allows him to get Coalossal set up first, and start my sweep off without taking any damage. Its undone by Fake Out, but hey, thats what the next guy is for.

Sneasel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Lash Out
- Icicle Crash
- Surf

It feels really cheap using a Not Fully Evolved Pokémon over his fully evolved brother, but Inner Focus makes him immune to Fake Out, allowing him to Surf to set up Coalossal, all of the time. This is useful against teams with redirection, so with Amoonguss, Clefairy / Clefable or Gastrodon in the back.

Fake Out is an amazing lead move, breaking Sashes and stopping 1st turn strats in their tracks. Surf to set up Coalossal; it really doesn't have any other utility, as his stupidly low Special Attack does nothing other than break Focus Sashes or Sturdy. Lash Out is his best STAB move and can double power if they use a stat lowering Max move, or he gets Intimidated. Icicle Crash over Triple Axel for more reliable damage, as Triple Axel only beats it damage wise 70% of the time. The Flinch chance could be useful, too.

I would want Taunt on there somewhere, but I'm a hit first, ask questions later kind of guy. It would probably go over Lash Out, but I'm not sure.

Cofagrigus @ Mental Herb
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Body Press
- Imprison

This should be Dusclops, I mean, he's bulkier, has the same typing and movepool, so why use Cofagrigus over him?

One move - Body Press.

Body Press has two uses for this team; it makes him way more offensive as his great Defence Stat can be put to good use. It does a reasonable amount of damage, but its second use is to proc Weakness Policy on Coalossal.

Trick Room gives me the option to sweep with Coalossal, even if they have Tailwind. The combination of Mental Herb and great defences means the only thing that can stop him setting up is double targetting (why would you if there's a Gigantamax Coalossal sat next to him) or Spore from Amoonguss.

Being able to avoid Taunt by holding a Mental Herb is his biggest strength over Dusclops, who has lower Defences without Eviolite.

Shadow Ball gives him some STAB to threaten Ghosts & Psychics, which every team has one or two of.

EV's balance out his defences, as his Special Defence is a bit lacklustre otherwise.

Tsareena (F) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Sweet Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Trop Kick / Power Whip / Grassy Glide
- High Jump Kick
- Triple Axel
- Protect

I panicked when I threw her onto the team, but she does surprisingly well as a physical attacking Grass type that can threaten Ferrothorn and Amoonguss.

With Wide Lens, that Triple Axel almost becomes 100% accurate, so can really threaten stuff with a 120 BP Ice move. Hi Jump Kick is also 99% accurate, so apart from Protect and Ghosts, is almost certain to hit as well.

The choice between Trop Kick for accuracy and Power Whip for power is difficult - its currently Trop Kick, but I can't see the Attack being that useful. I can see Grassy Glide being useful, as this team often has Grassy Terrain set up through Coalossal / Primarina Max Overgrowth.

Gone with Power Whip as the Grass STAB, and changed the ability to Sweet Veil. With Sweet Veil, pesky Amoonguss have an even worse time against my team, as I don't generally have issues with priority moves being pretty slow and bulky. Sweet Veil guarantees to Trick Room / Imprison goes off, and stops a few Spore mind games or Coil Milotic with Hypnosis.

Thanks @Gigarchomp99 for the Sweet Veil Bountsweet!

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist / Sheer Force
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

OK so Jolteon didn't last long. At all. I decided to ditch him literally after 2 games, as I couldn't see myself bringing him at all.

Why Conk? Well him gives me way more bulk, something that works well without Dynamax, but can at a pinch. He has a strong STAB priority, an Electric move boosted by Iron Fist, and doesn't care too much about bulky Waters thanks to Drain Punch spam. He works well in Trick Room, and can tank a hit from a ton of stuff.

I ended up going Iron Fist over Guts, as I really wanted 4 attacks and didn't want to burn a turn getting... Burnt. All of his moves are boosted by Iron Fist, and while he doesn't hit the gold standard of Scizor Bullet Punch, I feel he's way more threatening all round.

Hope you like it, give it a whirl, and see what you think! Its a very fun team with plenty of options to match almost any other team, controlling the speed and ending games fast. I'm currently 4/0 on the Ranked Ladder (after the reset) but I've used a very similar team from Osirus before, which has Beat Up Weavile & Justified Cobalion.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Updated the team a bit:

1. Given Coalossal a faster spread, outruning everything up to positive base 90s in Tailwind with the Steam Engine. This gives me the option to Aqua Jet into Gigantamax Coalossal against Talonflame leads.
  2. Power Whip on Tsareena. The extra damage means she hits Primarina harder, and makes up for the lack of Life Orb or Expertt Belt. Wide Lens improves her accuracy as well. Also makes the most of Wide Lens too - getting 3 Triple Axels is pretty good, although it doesn't do enough to Amoonguss for my liking. Might give her Taunt over Protect or Hi Jump Kick as well.
Team is currently 7W 0L, will update rental code etc later!

Last edited:

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Team is amazingly 10-0, Colossal late game is such a massive threat.

Trick Room leads are a bit a problem, especially when paired with Amoonguss. Might try and get a Sweet Veil on Tsareena, which will prevent either Pokémon going to Sleep, and give her Taunt over Hi Jump Kick.

Also trying out Specs Jolteon over Scizor, as another Water type counter and late game clean up option. He's damage output against Amoonguss is underwhelming though!

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Added screenshot of my current record with team. Just wow

Only changes I've made is Specs Jolteon over Scizor, and Lum Berry on Cofagrigus for annoying Amoonguss leads. He's not being Taunted much, but I do miss it when I'm leading with him and I *need* to get Trick Room up. We shall see what happens!

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Updated team, as I'm currently up to no. 612, 13 wins, 0 losses.

How high can I climb? No idea!

[EDIT] - If you want the rental code, its 0000 0005 6YG5 W2.

Last edited: