Nuzlocke A Glorious Blaze ~ A Unova Generation Locke!

MacVanish

Professional Amateur
AKA
Joran Joran
Part 0: Rules
So I was just chilling and with nothing better to do I thought to myself: "Why don't I do another nuzlocke?" But just another nuzlocke through just another game won't be interesting enough. So I decide to wade my way through one of the many Drayano60 romhacks, because of their added difficulty and added pokemon. But that's not enough no way, I'm going to go through both of the Unova games in a row.
  • Fainted Pokémon are considered dead and cannot be used and must be permanently boxed.
  • I may only catch the first Pokémon I encounter in any route or area.
    • Dupes Clause: I cannot catch any Pokémon I already have caught before or their entire evolution line.
    • Shiny Clause: All shiny Pokémon are bonus encounters, unless they are the first encounter of the route or area.
    • Gift Clause: Any Pokémon given to me do not count towards the encounter of the area where they were received.
    • Static Ecnounters: Static encounters are usually legendary Pokémon and are subjected to the same rules as all other encounters, first come first served.
    • Pinwheel Clause: Any area that is called the same but have vastly different catch lists (Not 1 or 2 added) are counted as separate areas. This includes Hidden Grotto's in Black 2.
    • Generation Clause: Here's the big one. Any Pokémon caught in Blaze Black cannot be caught or used in Blaze Black 2. An exception to this rule is split evolutions, but I am unable to use said Pokémon to progress until I have fully evolved them into their split evolution. Meaning I cannot continue forward until I have evolved my Gloom into a Bellossom if I had used a Vileplume before.
  • All Pokémon must be nicknamed. I won't be using a naming theme for this run.
  • Only 5 healing items may be used per battle. Drayano60 hacks are tough mkay?
  • Blaze Black 2 will be played on challenge mode. (Send help)
  • I will be using a level limit and won't be able to use any Pokémon above said levels. The limits are usually the gym leader unless specified otherwise:
    • Blaze Black: 14, 20, 30, 38, 44, 56, 63, 66, 73(ELITE4), 77(GHETSIS)
    • Blaze Black 2: 14, 21, 29, 38, 45, 53, 60, 66, 70(KYUREM), 78(ELITE4)
:snivy: Hayter ♂
Killed by: Wild :spinda: @Dreamyard
Part 1 - Part 2
Level 5 - Level 12
"Snake, what's wrong? Snake? Snaaaaake!"
:psyduck: Huey ♂
Killed by: N's :zorua: @Nacrene City
Part 2 - Part 3
Level 16 - Level 19
"Should have been Dewey or Louie"
:persian: Cashmere ♂
Killed by Burgh's :scolipede: @Castelia City
Part 1 - Part 4
Level 6 - 30
“I declare Bankruptcy!”
:tirtouga: Crusta ♂
Killed by Burgh's :leavanny: @Castelia City
Part 3 - Part 4
Level 25 - 30
"Man of the sea, buried at sea."
:ludicolo: Tapatio ♂
Killed by Clerk♂'s :poliwhirl: @Castelia City
Part 2 - Part 4
Level 12 - 27
“Life is like a dance, and you’re out of moves.”

I will be surprised if I even manage to get past Blaze Black itself. I will keep a list of caught encounters probably in the updates tab, but we'll see.

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Oooh, good luck for this one. I once tried my own Nuzlocke (a String Hexalocke to boot) and failed miserably as soon as I got my first badge. You gotta avenge me, please please please...

MacVanish

Professional Amateur
AKA
Joran Joran
Part 1: The sparks of life
Thank you thank you for the kind words of encouragement. It sure is going to be tough but I think I can manage (Hopefully). This time I plan to go all the way to Straiton city.
I start the journey and play as the female trainer, they always have had the better character design because the male trainers suck by default for being too generic. You can make the case for BW2 but that game has the best female design of the whole series IMO.
I named myself Mumei and have ID: 41022 meaning I take Snivy in this game.
I beat the crap out of my 'supposed' best friends and Snivy gets to level 7 without any great difficulty. From what I could see in battle he does have low Sp Att though.
I walk down to the living room and mom gives me my stuff including a bicycle, which is a must if I am a self respecting Dutch citizen. As I cycle my way through Nuvema town I finally get the Pokedex and get to name Snivy.
-[GIFT] Hayter the Snivy (M) Lv. 7 Careful Overgrowth @Nuvema Town.
Whilst I usually prefer grass type starters, Snivy is he exception. Their level-up moveset is kind of weak but in this game he gets an additional dragon typing and a few better moves here and there. The careful nature sure doesn't help in the long run and it's a crying shame that Hayter doesn't have Contrary as an ability.
Bianca wants to take our first steps on route 1 together, but I'm not getting of this bike. Apparently she wants to do some sort of contest to fill more pages of the Pokédex but none of us will actually more than 2 Pokémon. So what's the point of it?
-Yegdip the Pidgey (F) Lv. 4 Lonely Big Pecks @Route 1
Pidgey usually falls to the wayside as the standard normal/flying bird when compared to the likes of Taillow & Starly, but Drayano gave this bird some extra wings. The added moves and Lonley nature really make this bird shine and I can't wait for it.
I decided to train these guys up to level 9 so I will have an actual strong move in Yegdip's Pluck. Which will be my crutch for the upcoming few routes because Hayter won't cut it with Vine Whip.
Ghetsis holds his little speech after Juniper shows me how to PokéCenter. Lady, I knew how all this already worked before you were being programmed. Oh, and N was a joke with Yegdip's Pluck. Nincada & Mankey got OHKO'd and Purrloin 2HKO'd.
As I walk to route 2 my mom calls me up that I no longer have to walk and hands me some running shoes. Gee mom, that would have been useful if I didn't have the objectively BEST vehicle to take me around Unova.
Route 2 is crawling with Bugs and knowing I will have to take out Chili, I sure hope I can get one of the non-bugs on the route. Makney, Meowth, Pochyena & Spearow would be great but a 5% don't look like a good time.
-Cashmere the Meowth (M) Lv. 6 Lax Technician @Route 2
Oh boi, I sure did get one of the best encounters I could on route 2 and with the better ability of the 2. Cashmere with Technician is going to be a beast. STAB Technician boosted Fake-Out? Sign me up. With the added bonus of not being weak to fire in the upcoming gym? I think this is a keeper boys and girls.
So Biance says hello and Yegdip says goodbye, Straiton city says hello and we say goodbye because it's time for the Dreamyard hosting the, in my humble opinion, most dangerous generic trainer in this game. We all know and hat him, the first trainer's number we receive, he is none other than Youngster Joey!
But for real, normally all normal mooks in the game use 0 IV pokemon, which additionally results in them always having hidden power fighting. But Drayano60 gave this Youngster Joey a 6 31 IV rattatta and combined with Hustle its Flame Wheel and Quick Attacks hurt.
But then Cashmere gets a crit Fake out and barely one shots him so all this build up for nothing.
-[GIFT]HydroHomie the Panpour (M) Lv. 10 Calm Gluttony
Nothing much different from the normal monkeys. They have a little better moveset but in the end they're just your standard pls carry me in this gym battle Pokemon. Gluttony can be good, but I prefer the starter abilities because of the clutch factor it gives them. It also means their ability is more useful when holding anything other than a berry. The nature doesn't help but I've seen worse.
I trained everybody to level 12, except for Yegdip who was already to level 13.

:snivy:
Hayter (M) (Snivy)
Careful Overgrow
Lv. 12 @Nothing
Vine Whip
Tackle
Leer
Wrap
"Kept ya waiting, huh?"

:pidgey:
Yegdip (F)
Lonely Big Pecks
Lv. 13 @nothing
Pluck
Quick Attack
Faint Attack
Razor Wind
"She's the name in the mirror."

:meowth:
Cashmere (M)
Lax Technician
Lv. 12 @nothing
Scratch
Fake Out
Bite
Hynosis
"Look at mister moneybags over here."

:panpour:
HydroHomie (M)
Calm Gluttony
Lv. 12 @nothing
Water Gun
Acrobatics
Scratch
Hone claws
"r/Hydrohomies sends their regards"

Nothing too exciting happened except for that baller 5% encounter. The team is looking good for the next gym.
Next up: Cheren & Chili spice things up!

MacVanish

Professional Amateur
AKA
Joran Joran
Part 2: Getting fired up ~ Versus Chili
Last time we got all the way to Straiton city. Our goal for today is to get the first badge and to Nacrene city. But first we'll have to go through Cheren in the trainer's school!
Let's start this part off with a bang! It's time to fight Cheren for the second time and this time he's got a Starly in his team.
Cashmere doesn't really care and with a quick fake out, scratch 1-2 KO. His tepig was even more of a joke. HydroHomie is here to remind Cheren of his daily water intake whilst soaking the Tepig.
Afterwards Cheren mentions that the gym leader should be back at the gym by now and gives us HM01 Cut. Which is actually a useful move. 60 power 100 accuracy and a grass typing to boot. I was contemplating putting it on Cashmere for the Technician boost, but ultimately decided on HydroHomie for that extra type coverage and I like Cashmere's moveset right now.
In the dreamyard I find multiple goodies, which are completely useless right now. Those being the TM's for Smack Down, Struggle Bug & Incinerate.
Luckily there's more to be found in the Dreamyard than just items, there's Pokémon to catch and that I did!
-Polko the Munna (M) Lv. 11 Quiet Analytic @Dreamyard
I'm not a fan of Munna or Musharna. If I wanted a slower bulky Psychic type I'd go with Reuniclus any day of the week over Musharna. But Polko has the perfect combination of Nature and ability that might make me change my opinion on this line.
So with a great new member added to our ranks I can start doing another training montage to level 14 for the gym.
I'd love to say that it went without any major problems, but I can't. Whilst training up Hayter I ran into a wild Spinda at about the same level as Hayter, and he got a critical hit Uproar and knocked Hayter out in 1 hit.
:snivy: Hayter (M)
Part 1 - Part 2
Level 5 - Level 12
"Snake, what's wrong? Snake? Snaaaaake!"
Whilst he might now have been as strong as Yegdip or have a great moveset like Cashmere, he still was the one who started it all. It's always sad to lose a partner and especially your first. Pain gets the better of us all.
In other news, HydroHomie learned how to Pulsate his water so that's nice. Now we're off to face Chili!
Chili: Rotation Battle
:tepig: :charmander: :cyndaquil: :torchic: :chimchar: :pansear:
Whilst you might expect it would be just a Water Pule party, it's not. Cashmere starts off with his trade marked Fake Out and Cyndaquil gets knocked to very, very low HP.
We both rotate to different Pokémon, HydroHomie hit Chili's Charmander to, again, very low HP. He decides to Dragon Dance.
Next turn Chili heals up his Charmander and HydroHomie takes it our with another Water Pulse. :charmander: KO'd
Out comes the Torchic, but Chili swaps to cyndaquil and he gets taken out by another Water Pulese. :cyndaquil: KO'd
Next up is his Pansear, but he again swaps and this time to Tepig who, after surviving a Water Pulse, goes for Yawn. And instead of doing the smart thing of rotating to another Pokemon, I hard switch HydroHomie out to Polko. Meanwhile his Torchic goes for a Focus Energy.
Polko goes for a yawn on Pansear who sets up a Nasty Plot.
Rotate to Yegdip who, witha very nice critical hit, takes out the Torchic after being hit by an Ember. :torchic: KO'd
Another Pluck takes out the Tepig. :tepig: KO'd
Now it's just the Chimchar and Pansear left. And he decides now is a good time to fake out. But I predict that and let Cashmere take the hit.
Now instead of going for an offensive move, Pansear decides to set up another Nasty Plot before going to a sleep he'll never wake from. Polko hits a Psybeam to red HP.
Polko then proceeds to take out Pansear with a second Psybeam. :pansear: KO'd
Chimchar in a last ditch effore goes for Assist, hoping to get Bite but ends up getting Featherdance. Polko then proceeds to take out Chimchar as well. :chimchar: KO'd

Victory! Trio Badge get!
In battle deaths: 0
Total deaths: 1
Team Plasma was a joke and I get the TM for hidden power from Fennel. Which after some testing, Polko seems to have HP-Ice. Ice is nice but not necessary at the moment.
Continuing past Straiton city I found myself on route 3 and, like any normal person would, decided it was a good time to beat up the preschoolers and caretaker their Pokémon. Subsequently Yegdip evolves into a Pidgeotto.
Cheren was jokingly easy like usual. Cashmere takes out the Staravia with ease, HydroHomie his roggenrolla and Yegdip handles the Pansage and Tepig with ease.
Team Plasma and Cheren run of to Wellspring cave, but I have a Pokémon to catch.
-Tapatio the Lotad (M) Lv. 12 Jolly Swift Swim @Route 3
-Robin the Zubat (F) Lv. 13 Calm Inner Focus @Wellspring Cave
Tapatio is going to be zooming once the rain is up, but sadly his Jolly nature does means his, what could be powerful, special attack will be lower than I'd hope it would be. But I've always like the Lotad family and their great taste in headwear. Let's hope Tapatio can delive like the many other Lotas I've used.

Robin is another case of a bad nature holding back the great strength that is his Attack. Zubat are always a pain starting out, but once they get rolling they're great and keep getting better. Not much to say about zubat other than what has already been said before.
Okay Cheren, I know you're not the brightest light in the harbor but can you please do your best for once in this battle?
Decides to do nothing except growl with his Staravia.
Geez thanks for lowering the Physical attack of all these SPECIAL attackers. Sure did come in handy there buddy. Now I know why all our battles are so easy for me.
I get a fishing rod for my troubles and you know what that means? More Pokémon weak to Electric type!
-Huey the Psyduck (M) Lv. 16 Rash Swift Swim @Straiton City.
I love psyduck and golduck. They look so cool and the idea of being able to use psychic moves always sounded so cool to me, but their stats left a different impression. But Huey sure has left a great impression and will (hopefully) keep growing stronger and stronger.
Found TM46 Thief in Wellspring cave and I decided to go robbing some Audino of their berries. And not just that, on Route 3 I can find the Water starters and they have a 50% chance to hold a Mystic Water. The same for outer Pinwheel forest with Fire & Charcoal and inner Pinwheel forest with Grass & Miracle Seed. So those are being stolen as well.
Whilst beating some of the random trainers, Yegdip & Cashmere got to level 20 which is the limit thus meaning I can't use them as much in the gym itself and versus N which does worry me a tad bit.
But luckily I still have another encounter left which is outer Pinwheel Forest.
-Chopper the Sawk (M) Lv. 17 Lonely Mold Breaker @Pinwheel Forest (outer)
Now this is epic. A Sawk with an Attack boosting nature and also holding a black belt? I feel like I've won the lottery! He sure was a pain in the neck to catch, but oh boy he sure is worth it. 52 attack at level 17? That's 21 more than Yegdip which also has a Lonely nature and is 3 levels higher with a few EVs in attack probably. Chopper is going to carry me through Lenora! Welcome to the team Chopper, we're glad to have you!
Everybody else got trained to level 19 before fighting N.
:pidgeotto:
Yegdip (F)
Lonely Big Pecks
Lv. 20 @nothing
Pluck
Acrobatics
Faint Attack
U-Turn
"She's the name in the mirror."

:meowth:
Cashmere (M)
Lax Technician
Lv. 20 @nothing
Scratch
Fake Out
Bite
Hynosis
"Look at mister moneybags over here."

:panpour:
HydroHomie (M)
Calm Gluttony
Lv. 19 @Oran Berry
Water Gun
Acrobatics
Cut
Thief
"r/HydroHomies sends their regards"

:zubat:
Robin (F)
Calm Inner Focus
Lv. 19 @nothing
Wing Attack
Bite
Thief
Hypnosis
"Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Batman smells."

:psyduck:
Huey (M)
Rash Swift Swim
Water Gun
Confusion
Hypnosis
Disable
"No my names is Louie, or was it Dewey?"

:sawk:
Chopper (M)
Lonely Mold Breaker
Low Sweep
Double Kick
Focus Energy
Work Up
"He's going to knock your socks off!"
:lombre: Tapatio (M) Lv. 19
:munna: Polko (M) Lv. 20
:snivy: Hayter (M) Lv. 12 @Part 2
After doing some IV calculations, Chopper actually has somewhere between 3 to 8 IV in attack and defense, and 0 to 2 IV in special defense. Now that doesn't look good, but it's a good thing he still has 125 base attack.

Now we stand before the Museum and await our fateful battle with N & Lenora. Will we prevail or will our treck through Unova be ended prematurely? Find out next time!

MacVanish

Professional Amateur
AKA
Joran Joran
Part 3: Progress keeps raging on! ~ Versus Lenora
"The N fight didn’t have many highlights except that Huey got hit by a crit pursuit when switching out for Cashmere and died.
:psyduck: Huey (M)
Part 2 - Part 3
Level 16 - Level 19
“Should have been Dewey or Louie”
During training were packing a punch, something HydroHomie and Tapatio would be jealous of, but that Zorua was on your heels and wasn’t about to let you go. But now I will have to. I have let your brothers down, but mostly you.
After clearing out the gym trainers, Chopper is dangerously close to level 21. 19 exp to be exact. But after doing some quick training everybody is up to level 20.
Lenora: Double Battle
:stantler::herdier::furret::bibarel::watchog::bouffalant:

Yegdip and Tapatio are send out first but Yegdip takes a quick U-turn to swap to Cashmere. Meanwhile Herdier lands a helping hand to Stantler to hit Tapatio with an extrasensory. Tapatio sets up a leech seed in turn.
Cashmere hit Stantler with a Fake Out but gets hit by a retaliate and has to eat his Oran berry, but he won’t be able to take a second from Herdier.
Cashmere puts herdier to sleep and Stantler disables Tapatio’s Water Pulse, but he was busy setting up seed on Herdier.
Out comes Chopper and Lenora heals Stantler. Tapatio uses Nature Power which turn to Tri Attack and hit Stantler and Paralyses it in turn.
Chopper sets up 2 Work ups while Stantler and Herdier snooze and are set up to lose.
Chopper hits Stantler with a Low Sweep and takes out Stantler whilst Tapatio hits Herdier with another Tri Attack. :stanler: KO’d
Herdier wakes up and uses Helping hand on Bouffalant, but Chopper takes it out with another Low Sweep. Tapatio uses Tri Attack on Herdier and burns it. :bouffalant: KO’d
Out comes Furret and down goes Furret. Chopper low sweep is too strong. Tapatio takes out herdier with another Tri Attack. :furret: KO’d, :herdier: KO’d.
Chopper hits the Watchog with another Low Sweep and down it goes. Bibarel hit Tapatio with a Retaliate but Tapatio being a true lad hangs on with 6 HP and lands a quick Leech Seed on the Bibarel. :watchog: KO’d.
Tapatio is switched out to Polko. Chopper then takes out the Bibarel. :bibarel: KO’d
Victory! Basic Badge get!
Total deaths: 2
New level limit: 30
Afterwards I clear out the whole outer pinwheel forest & challenge rock area. Chopper takes a piece of the Challenge Rock for a free Star Piece.
Nice sturdy Pokémon team you have there kid. Would be a shame if somebody could break the mold. Off we go to the Inner Pinwheel Forest where we run into:
-Lilly the Petilil (F) Lv. 19 Quirky Chlorophyll @Pinwheel Forest (Inside)
: A Neutral nature, good IVs for everything but Special Attack. I like Chlorophyll but if it had Leaf Guard I could use Petal Dance as a Lilligant because that would turn into Own Tempo. But Giga Drain will have to do and will do nicely. The added moves in Extrasensory as Petilil and Earth Power as Lilligant as well as the extra TMs such as Psychic, Shadow Ball & Focus Blast will make it that Lilly will have quite the coverage.
Team Plasma was a joke and easy to take care of. (This is going to be a recurring theme I guess)
Got some Moon stones from Lenora and after looking at Polko’s level up moveset. I decided to evolve her right now. Musharna now learns Psychic at level 39 and Munna won’t learn anything I’d consider worth it and that’s why I’ll evolve her now.
Evolves, gains only 2 speed from evolution.
I love you Polko, please never gain any speed ever again.
In Castelia city I talked to mister scientist on the first dock and got 6 water stones and the same deal with Polko, both Tapatio & HydroHomie will evolve now because they don’t learn any useful moves anytime soon that I’d consider worth it.
Looting Castelia city was looted to the ground. The battle tower is left alone for the Pokémon not being trained up for the third gym. Most of the team taking on Burgh will consist of Pokémon being caught or received in the upcoming moments. Route 4 contains some fossils and also some good wild Pokémon like for example:
-Tots the Darumaka (F) Lv. 25 Lax Rattles @Route 4
Rattled will change into Iron fist which will only boost Fire Punch and Hammer Arm, whilst Sheer Force would power up a lot more moves moves like Fire Punch, Bulldoze, Rock Slide and so on. Although now I can take advantage of the secondary effects of said moves. Rattled will also be useful when being hit by bug type moves in the gym and IV calculations show that everything except attack is below 10, but her attack IVs are between 25 to 29 which does bring a smile to my face. Tots with an eviolite will hopefully be a powerhouse in the Castelia city gym.
Since the fossil aren’t encountered in the wild but technically given to me, I consider the fossils to fall under the Gift clause rule sooo:
-Medius the Archen (M) Lv. 25 Naughty Defeatist @Nacrene City [Gift]
-Cerebum the Cranidos (M) Lv. 25 Quirky Sheer Force @Nacrene City [Gift]
-Crusta the Titouga (M) Lv. 25 Hasty Sturdy @Nacrene City [Gift]
After doing some IV calculations it shows that these 3 all have good IVs in the stats that I want them to have. Crusta does have 6 to 9 defense with a lowering nature but is rocking a nice 28 to 31 speed IV with boosting nature speed. Now I’m uncertain which Pokémon I should use for the upcoming gym, maybe I’ll even use all 3 of them. But for now all 3 of them are looking great and I can’t say that I’ve used them before. I’m looking forward to what these will show me.
Instead of the usual Audino grind, I decided to battle the wild Pokémon at Route 4 who give Attack EVs just for those few extra stats and the healing house is very closeby.
Important things that happened during training:
Contemplated to just give up and go for Audino’s at multiple times.
Cashmere evolved into a Persian.
Cerebum evolved into a Rampardos.
Robin evolved into a Golbat a Crobat the level immediately after that.
Looking back at it probably was no more than 30 EV, but you never know if those 7 to 8 extra attack will matter or not.
:psyduck: Huey got crit pursuit by N's Zorua & died
N was beat without any other trouble
:sawk: Chopper & :lombre: Tapatio Wrecked Lenora
:petilil: Lilly ♀ Lv. 19 was caught @Pinwheel Forest (Inside)
Plasma stole some bones which I stole back which were subsequently stolen by Lenora
:darumaka: Tots ♀ Lv. 25 was caught @Route 4
:archen: Medius ♂ Lv. 25 was received @Nacrene city
:cranidos: Cerebum ♂ Lv. 25 was received @Nacrene city
:tirtouga: Crusta ♂ Lv. 25 was received @Nacrene city
A lot of training was done
:pidgeotto:
Yegdip ♀
Lonely Big Pecks
Lv. 30 @nothing
Acrobatics
Faint Attack
U-turn
Pluck
“She’s the name in the mirror.”

:crobat:
Robin ♀
Calm Inner Focus
Lv. 30 @King’s Rock
Wing Attack
Bite
Confuse Ray
Hypnosis
“Jingle Bells, Batman smells. Robin lays no eggs.”

:archen:
Medius ♂
Naughty Defeatist
Lv. 30 @Sitrus Berry
Pluck
Smack Down
Acrobatics
Agility
“Half the health, half the effort.”

:rampardos:
Cerebum ♂
Quirky Sheer Force
Lv. 30 @Quick Claw
Smack Down
Chip Away
Pursuit
Endeavor
“You’ve been hit, you’ve been struck by, truck. OW!”

:tirtouga:
Crusta ♂
Hasty Sturdy
Lv. 30 @Amulet Coin
Aqua Jet
Smack Down
Crunch
Wide Quard
“Turtles are the sea ones, Tortoises live on land!”

Forgot to put Tots in here. She was Level 30 but won't be used in the gym but instead Cashmere will be used.
:persian: Cashmere ♂ Lv. 30
:simipour: HydroHomie ♂ Lv. 26
:musharna: Polko ♂ Lv. 23
:ludicolo: Tapatio ♂ Lv. 25
:sawk: Chopper ♂ Lv. 30
:petilil: Lilly ♀ Lv. 19
:snivy: Hayter ♂ Lv. 12 @Part 2
:psyduck: Huey ♂ Lv. 19 @Part 3
What do you mean I have a giant Water weakness? What do you want me to do? Take grass types into the BUG gym? Silly reader, of course not. Besides what bug type would have access to powerful Water moves?
Burgh leads with a Bug/Water type carrying Scald.
It’s been nice knowing you all. See you in the next run! /s

Last edited:

MacVanish

Professional Amateur
AKA
Joran Joran
Part 3 4: Fireflies! ~ Versus Burgh
Before we go on ahead, sadly enough I did lose some of my notes. Most importantly from Burgh, so I tried to do my best from what I remember.
Brugh: Double Battle
:vespiquen::masquerain::heracross::yanmega:
:scolipede: @Sitrus Berry :leavanny: @Sitrus Berry
My team:
:pidgeotto: Yegdip @nothing, :persian: Cashmere @King's Rock
:crobat: Robin @King's Rock, :tirtouga: Crusta @Eviolite
:rampardos: Cerebum @Quick Claw, :archen: Medius @Sitrus Berry

(This is all from memory)
  • Masquerain was taken care of first turn by Cashmere & Yegdip. Yegdip takes an Acrobatics from Vespiquen.
  • Heracross comes out and hits Cashmere with a Night Slash(?), Cashmere puts Vespiquen to sleep & Yegdip takes out Heracross with an Acrobatics.
  • Scolipede comes out. And from this point I don't have any notes & remember much. Scolipede takes out Cashmere whilst Yegdip takes out the Vespiquen.
  • I send out Crusta to use Wide Guard to protect Yegdip from Rock Slides & do so semi-succefully. Yegdip does survive the Scolipede Rock Slides, but Crusta does go down to Leavanny in the end. Yegdip does take out the Leavanny in return.
  • Cerebum is send out & Yegdip switches out to Robin. Cerebum & Robin handily take out the remaining Yangmega & Scolipede.
Burgh defeated! New level limit: Lv. 38
In Battle deaths: 2
Total deaths: 4
:persian: Cashmere ♂
Part 1 - Part 4
Level 6 - 30
“I declare Bankruptcy!”
You were a staple of the team. Your fake-out was the bane of our foes' existence. Never having a pay day didn't stop you from bringing in the big bucks, but in the end you had to bargain. Your life for that of Yegdip and victory. Fare thee well old friend.
:tirtouga: Crusta ♂
Part 3 - Part 4
Level 25 - 30
"Man of the sea, buried at sea."
You had only recently joined us, but left us soon after. Too soon. You showed us your potential and lived up to it, as much what was needed of you. You followed the lead showed by Cashmere and traded your life for Yegdip's. May you finally be at rest.
Whilst clearing out the Battle company, Tapatio missed a Razor Leaf and got killed by a Metronome X-Scissor critical hit. So so unlucky!
Final thoughts on Tapatio:
:ludicolo: Tapatio ♂
Part 2 - Part 4
Level 12 - 27
“Life is like a dance, and you’re out of moves.”
Great moves and great taste in headgear. You and Chopper danced all over Lenora but both of you had to leave the stage soon after to make place when Burgh poked his head around the corner. You left the stage once and you've left it again. Sadly, there won't be a part 3 to your tale.
Outer & Inner Desert resort fall under the Pinwheel Forest clause and after looking at the Relic Castle lists it too will fall under said clause. Meaning I can get 4 catches at this resort area. The 1F & B1F share 0 Pokémon in the catch list. B2F to B6F & the maze house evolved forms of the 2 upper floors meaning those won’t fall under Pinwheel clause.

-Chad the Dwebble ♂ Lv. 25 Docile Sturdy @Desert Resort (Outer)
-Bonny the Mandibuzz ♀ Lv. 29 Lax Overcoat @Desert Resort (Inner)
-David the Onix ♂ Lv. 29 Sassy Weak Armor @Relic Castle (1F)
-Granger the Gastly ♀ Timid Levitate Lv. 27 @Relic Castle (B1F)

HydroHomie took out the remainder of Route 4, Desert Resort & Relic Castle almost single handedly. Remember kids, stay hydrated! He did just barely got to level 39 meaning he is unable to be used until Elesa is beaten. And I wasn’t planning to use him for her.

Got and taught HM04 Strength to Chopper & David. It’s an 85 power Rock type move now making it a very useful move for the next gym and the gym after Clay.

-Bijekoer the Vespiquen ♀ Lv. 30 Mild Pressure @Route 16
-Fierhinne the Farfetch’d ♀ Lv. 26 Hardy Super Luck @Lostlorn Forest
-Jiskefet the Trubbish ♂ Lv. 29 Docile Sticky Hold @Route 5
Fierhinne :farfetchd: has been buffed in Blaze Black and is looking real strong. I’m considering training him up for Clay, but we’ll have to get past Elesa first.

Bijekoer :vespiquen: looks real cool, but not real strong. I have many other flying types which are stronger and a bug type which can do the tanking better like Chad :dwebble: which I’ll cover soon

:trubbish: Jiskefet brought me some blacksludge which will be useful for Robin or Jiskefet himself. Sticky hold is nice to keep those pesky hands of my items. Looking interesting, but not at the moment.

:dwebble: Chad has the possibility to become a defensive rock or a sweeper with Shell Smash. For now he can sit back, relax and enjoy the David show.

:mandibuzz: Bonny looks like another great tank, but unfortunate nature lowering the special defense but you can’t have it all. Again, kick back and relax because I have other tanks at the moment. He She could be really useful against Clay though with overcoat and his her defensive nature. But that is then and this is now. And now he’s not she won't be useful.

:gastly: Granger has a great nature, but her special attack does waver on the lower side. Luckily Drayano made it so Haunter can evolve into Gengar without the need for trading, but she sure is looking like another possible team member for fighting Clay with her levitate.

:onix: David is going to be used in the gym. Period. His special defense might not be the best in the world, but he is the definitive best counter to Emolga. He can easily tank Emolga’s Acrobatic and get set up to +6 speed. His defense would be lowered, but I think he’ll manage with his Eviolite. Special Attacks will wreck him anyways.
On route 5, together with the Macho Brace, I could do a lot more efficient EV training for my physical attackers with Pokémon like Braviary, Nidoking, Cinccino & Emolga in the shaking grass. Audino have only a 40% encounter rate making it a great place.

I was heavily considering doing some BP but it was not worth it. I just realised Power Band would be great for somebody like Polko because it would boost the Special Defense EVs he would get regardless of what Pokémon he would beat AND get the speed lowering effect of it to ensure Analytic would activate. But with 35 speed at level 38, I don’t think I’ll need that speed lowering effect.
:archen: Medius evolved into an :archeops: Archeops
:darumaka: Tots evolved into a :darmanitan: Darmanitan
:petilil: Lilly evolved into a :lilligant: Lilligant
Did a lot of EV training. Taught some different moves. Looted route 5, 16 & Lostlorn Forest
During training I got the Pokerus! Which helped speed up EV training.
I realised I had misspelled Cerebum’s name and actually want to call him Cerebrum and thus have renamed him.
:persian: Cashmere & :tirtouga: Crusta died in the battle with Brugh
Burgh was defeated
:ludicolo: Tapatio died in a very unlucky way
Bianca & Cheren were easy fights
Route 4, 5, 16, Desert Resort & Lostlorn Forest were cleared out.
A lot of Pokemon were caught this Part.
Beat N at the ferris wheel.
Did training for Elesa
:onix:
David ♂
Sassy Weak Armor
Lv. 38 @Eviolite
Strength
Dig
Smack Down
Stealth Rock
"You're pretty good."

:rampardos:
Cerebrum ♂
Quirky Sheer Force
Lv. 38 @Quick Claw
Strength
Chip Away
Pursuit
Dig
"You've been hit by, you've been struck by. Truck."

:sawk:
Chopper ♂
Lonely Mold Breaker
Lv. 38 @Soft Sand
Brick Break
Dig
Strength
Bulk Up
"Going to rock your socks"

:darmanitan:
Tots ♀
Lax Iron Fist
Lv. 38 @Charcoal
Fire Punch
Dig
Strength
Facade
"Eat your 'taters, kids!"

:lilligant:
Lilly ♀
Quirky Chlorophyll
Giga Drain
Extrasensory
Stun Spore
Aromatherapy
"Put your petal to the metal!"

:musharna:
Polko ♂
Quiet Analytic
Lv. 38 @Scope Lens
Psyshock
Light Screen
Yawn
Moonlight
"Nigh night."
:farfetchd: Fierhinne ♀ Lv. 26
:vespiquen: Bijekoer ♀ Lv. 29
:trubbish: Jiskefet ♂ Lv. 29
:dwebble: Chad ♂ Lv. 25
:mandibuzz: Bonny ♀ Lv. 29
:gastly: Granger ♀ Lv. 27
:pidgeotto: Yegdip ♀ Lv. 32
:archeops: Medius ♂ Lv. 38
:crobat: Robin ♀ Lv. 38
:simipour: HydroHomie ♂ Lv. 39 (Over Elesa limit)
:snivy: Hayter ♂ Lv. 12
:psyduck: Huey ♂ Lv. 19
:tirtouga: Ludicolo ♂ Lv. 30
:ludicolo: Tapatio ♂ Lv. 27
Next time we take on Elesa! Looking forward to her more than to Burgh if I'm quite honest. Hopefully the battle will go smoother than it did with Brugh too.

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
:mandibuzz: Bonny looks like another great tank, but unfortunate nature lowering the special defense but you can’t have it all. Again, kick back and relax because I have other tanks at the moment. He could be really useful against Clay though with overcoat and his defensive nature. But that is then and this is now. And now he’s not useful.
Uh, "he"? Isn't it (the pronoun) supposed to be "she"? :thonkazurill:

MacVanish

Professional Amateur
AKA
Joran Joran
Part 5: Sparks & Cinders! ~ Versus Elesa
I knew I was going to make a mistake in forgetting somebody's gender and making the wrong call on the 50/50. Actually it would be 33/33/33. Anyway, to make up for that I'll give an extra bonus at the end of the Part just for you @SAF
B(But you didn't notice that it also was the second Part 3. :thonkazurill:)
So without further ado, let's get right to the Elesa fight!
Elesa: Single Battle
:emolga::manectric::ampharos::raichu::galvantula: Lv. 36
:zebstrika: Lv. 38 @Sitrus Berry

My team:
:onix: David ♂Lv. 38 @Eviolite
:rampardos: Cerebrum ♂ Lv. 38 @Quick Claw
:sawk: Chopper ♂ Lv. 38 @Soft Sand
:musharna: Polko ♂ Lv. 38 @Scope Lens
:darmanitan: Tots ♀ Lv. 38 @Charcoal
:lilligant: Lilly ♀ Lv. 38 @Big Root

:emolga: U-turn & switches to :galvantula:. :onix: David uses Strength. :galvantula: KO’d, 5 left!
:onix: David switches out to :rampardos: Cerebrum. :ampharos: send out by Elesa.
Quick Claw popped! :rampardos: Cerebrum uses dig. :ampharos: misses Focus Blast. :rampardos: hits Dig. :ampharos: KO’d, 4 left!
:rampardos: switches out to :lilligant: Lilly. :raichu: send out by Elesa.
:lilligant: Lilly uses stun spore. :raichu: hits Focus Blast.
:lilligant: Lilly uses Giga Drain. :raichu: missed Focus Blast.
:lilligant: Lilly hits the final Giga Drain to KO. :raichu: KO’d, 3 left!
:lilligant: Lilly switches out to :onix: David. :manectric: send out by Elesa.
:manectric: uses Flamethrower, :onix: David uses Stealth Rock.
:manectric: uses Flamethrower, :onix: David uses Dig.
:manectric: misses, :onix: David hit Dig. :manectric:'s [STATIC]. :manectric: KO’d, 2 left!
:emolga: send out by Elesa.
:emolga: U-turn & Switches to :zebstrika:. :onix: David uses Strength. :zebstrika:’s [SITRUS BERRY].
:onix: David switches out to :musharna: Polko. :zebstrika: uses Double Kick.
(Actually forgot to teach Polko Psyshock so he still has Psybeam. Oops)
:zebstrika: uses Wild Charge. :musharna: Polko uses Psybeam.
Elesa uses Hyper Potion on :zebstrika:. :musharna: uses Moonlight.
:zebstrika: uses Volt Switch and swaps to :emolga:. :musharna: uses Psybeam. :emolga: KO’d, 1 left!
:zebstrika: uses Wild Charge. :musharna: Polko uses Psybeam.
:musharna: Polko switches out to :lilligant: Lilly, :zebstrika: uses Wild Charge
:zebstrika: uses Flame Charge. :lilligant: uses Giga Drain. :zebstrika:’s [SAP SIPPER].
:lilligant: Lilly switches out to :darmanitan: Tots. :zebstrika: uses Flame Charge.
:zebstrika: uses Wild Charge & :darmanitan: Tots takes it like a champ! :zebstrika: KO’d, victory!

Bolt Badge get! New level limit: Lv. 44
Total deaths: 5
Cheren was a joke fight again, and yet he’s still mad that I keep beating him. Maybe you should stop challenging me. Can't lose if you don't fight. Alder also pops up and tells Cheren he should give up on becoming Champion, or something like that. I wasn't realy listening.
I continue on and I have 4 more catches to do, but I'm saving the Driftveil encounter for later because I forgot about it until now.

-Moonshoes :hoppip:♂ Lv. 30 Naive Prankster @Driftveil Drawbridge
-Fahrenkalt :vanillite:♀ Lv. 30 Impish Ice Body @Cold Storage
-Addit :plusle:♂ Lv. 30 Impish Plus @Route 6

Team Plasma in the Cold Storage was handily dealt with by my non-Clay Pokémon. If you don't like the cold, why would you even go in there? Or is this some "What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger" kind of moment? Then about 2 to 3 years later you're going to freeze the entire region over so everybody can fell what you've been through? Even though it was your own choice to do so. You could have just jumped into the sea and swam away. I'm going off on a tangent. Let's get back to business
:hoppip: is being added to the Clay squad. Great anti-Excadrill Pokémon. She always has priority on him with her status moves even in the sandstorm with Sand Rush. Then she can put a stop to his Sand Rush speed boost with Worry Seed. Of course then I have to switch quickly to a Pokémon that can actually defeat him before he sets up a few Swords Dances. Moonshoes is definitely an option, but sure isn't the only one.

:vanillite: Fahrenkalt could be a good addition to the team, if it weren’t for the fact that half his team isn’t weak to Ice-type and 2 of the 3 that are weak to it carry Stone Edge that will wreck her AND 2 of his Pokémon are Steel type that will ALSO wreck her. Also her nature doesn’t help her on the offensive, but she could shift into a more defensive role. But I’m just not too sure. She could, however, still be a great consideration for taking on Skyla. For now, you can stay in the box.

:plusle: Addit is kind of a letdown. With Pokémon like Deerling & Natu in the grass, getting a Plusle at a 5% encounter is like winning the Hunger games lottery. It sucks. Unlike many other 1 stage mediocre Pokémon, Drayano did not buff Plusle or Minun. Giving it a better ability or just a boost in special attack or speed would have been a great thing to do. But I guess not. Oh well, at least I can't get a Plusle in Blaze Black 2.

I cleared out all the trainers in the gym with my non-Clay Pokémon. It wasn’t a cakewalk nor was it very difficult. It was nice to see that I have strong enough Pokémon to handle almost any situation without super effective moves.
Time to do some training for Clay! See you in the next part where I take on "Run killer Clay". Stay tuned!
The Chanseys in the grass on route 6 are great for training up Moonshoes because the HP EVs are a great thing for Moonshoes to have. Also I don’t have to attack with Acrobatics because of Leech Seed/Reflect. Take Down crit does about 20 HP and Leech Seed heals all of that up. 0% chance of death versus the Chansey. Now it does take a while, and I have to get him to level 40 before evolving to get Worry Seed, but it works without any risks. And I don't want to risk letting my Moonshoes die.

:gastly: Granger is also being added to the Squad for fighting Clay. Granger is great because he is immune to ground and not weak to rock like my MANY flying type Pokémon. Additionally, she can use Energy Ball which is great for dealing with most of Clay's team. Even with the low IVs he's still faster and hits harder than :lilligant: Lilly, but he does lose in the Bulk compartment.

For Granger I actually went all the way back to Pinwheel Forest to fish in the pond at the dark grass area. There I could find only Psyduck & Poliwag which both give the EVs I want on her. Maxed her out rather quickly if not for the fact that fishing is slower than random grass encounters. Afterwards it was a quick trip to the Cold Storage to fight Audino’s at a 90% encounter rate.

Fierhinne was also added to the Squad for the Clay fight. With Super Luck + Stick he has a 50% crit rate when using Leaf Blade & Night Slash and a 33% with Sacred Sword. You read that right, Sacred. Sword. Fierhinne is busted. No he really is busted. Let me list the changes to Farfetch'd here:
Type: Fighting / Flying HP: 52 → 70 Attack: 65 → 105 Defense: 55 → 70 Special Attack: 58 → 50 Special Defense: 62 → 70 Speed: 60 → 110 Total: 352 → 475. Busted.

Other team members for Clay are going to be: :lilligant: Lilly, :simipour: HydroHomie & :sawk: Chopper. No brainer choices. Lilly most importantly for Seismitoad, HydroHomie for the Scald burn chance to wreck his physical attackers, and Chopper mostly for the Steel types.
  • Beat Elesa without much trouble
  • Cheren keeps getting easier and easier
  • Caght 3 Pokémon: :hoppip: Moonshoes, :plusle: Addit & :vanillite: Fahrenkalt.
  • Thoughts: Good, bad, okay
  • Plasma goons beaten in Cold Storage
  • Gym cleared out with the non-Clay squad
  • Did some training like usual
:lilligant: Lilly ♀
Quirky Chlorophyll
Lv. 44 @ Big Root
Energy Ball
Giga Drain
Extrasensory
Stun Spore
“Put your petal to the metal”

:farfetchd: Fierhinde ♀
Hardy Super Luck
Lv. 44 @Stick
Sacred Sword
Leaf Blade
Night Slash
Swords Dance
“Go break a leek!”

:gengar: Granger ♀
Timid Levitate
Lv. 44 @Expert Belt
Shadow Ball
Venoshock
Energy Ball
Icy Wind
“Granger danger! Granger danger!”

:simipour: HydroHomie ♂
Calm Unburden
Lv. 44 @Mystic Water
Scald
Acrobatics
Crunch
Cut
“r/HydroHomies send their regards”

:jumpluff: Moonshoes ♂
Naive Prankster
Lv. 44 @King’s Rock
Energy Ball
Worry Seed
Leech Seed
Reflect
“Is er leven op Pluto? Kun je dansen op de Maan?”

:sawk: Chopper ♂
Lonely Mold Break
Lv. 44 @Black Belt
Brick Break
Strength
Dig
Bulk up
“Going to rock your socks!”
:pidgeotto: Yegdip ♀ Lv. 32
:vespiquen: Bijekoer ♀ Lv. 30
:trubbish: Jiskefet ♂ Lv. 29
:dwebble: Chad ♂ Lv. 25
:mandibuzz: Bonny ♀ Lv. 29
:vanillite: Fahrenkalt ♀ Lv. 30
:plusle: Addit ♂ Lv. 30
:archeops: Medius ♂ Lv. 40
:crobat: Robin ♀ Lv. 39
:musharna: Polko ♂ Lv. 38
:onix: David ♂ Lv. 41
:darmanitan: Tots ♀ Lv. 41
:rampardos: Cerebrum ♂ Lv. 39
:tirtouga: Crusta ♂ Lv. 30
The quote underneath Moonshoes is a reference to a Dutch song called "België" by "Het Goede Doel". Which translated is Belgium by Charity. It's about somebody who want to leave the Netherlands and sings about a lot of different countries he doesn't want to go to and in the ends decides on Belgium. One of the best lines is "Wat Amerika betreft, dat land bestaat niet echt." Losely translate means: "Concering the USA, that country isn't real".
Arr dang I went off on a tangent again. The bonus surprise I was talking about is right here in this spoiler.
Part 6: Smoldering rocks! ~ Versus Clay
Clay: Single Battle
:hippowdon: @nothing :seismitoad: @Chesto Berry
:steelix: @Passho Berry :marowak: @Thick Club
:krookodile: @Persim Berry :excadrill: @Sitrus Berry

The Squad:
:lilligant: Lilly ♀ @Big Root :farfectchd: Fierhinne ♀ @Stick
:gengar: Granger ♀ @Expert Belt :simipour: HydroHomie ♂ @Mystic Water
:jumpluff: Moonshoes ♂ @King’s Rock :sawk: Chopper ♂ @Black Belt

:hippowdon:’s [SAND STREAM]. :lilligant: Lilly uses Energy Ball. :hippowdon: KO’d, 5 left!
:seismitoad: comes out. :lilligant: Lilly stays in.
:lilligant: Lilly uses Energy Ball. :seismitoad: KO’d, 4 left!
:excadrill: comes out. :farfetchd: Fierhinne switched in
:excadrill: uses Swords Dance, :farfetchd: Fierhinne uses Sacred Sword [CRIT]. :excadrill: KO’d, 3 left!
:krookodile:’s [INTIMIDATE]. :farfetchd: Fierhinne uses Swords Dance. :krookodile: uses Torment.
:farfetchd: Fierhinne uses Sacred Sword. :krookodile: KO’d, 2 let!
:marowak: comes out. :farfetchd: Fierhinne stays in.
:fierhinne: uses Leaf Blade. :marowak: KO’d, 1 left.
:steelix: comes out. :farfetchd: Fierhinne stays in.
:fierhinne: uses Sacred Sword, :steelix:’s [STURDY], :steelix: uses Fire Fang.
Clay uses a Hyper Potion on :steelix:, :farfetchd: Fierhinne uses Leaf Blade [CRIT].
:farfetchd: Fierhinne uses Sacred Sword [CRIT]. :steelix: KO’d, victory!

Quake badge get! New level limit: Lv. 56
Total deaths: 5
After we leave the gym Bianca decides she want to have another battle with me. It was actually more difficult than versus Cheren because I had just picked up some lower leveled Pokémon to clear Route 6 & Chargestone cave with. But in the end she went down with any trouble.

In Chargestone cave I find 2 things, and only one of these will actually help me. A Pokémon and N.
-Nicole :joltik: ♀ Lv. 36 Hardy Compoundeyes @Chargestone Cave

N and his 6 Rotom team were no match for my hard reads and actually just using Chopper to Dig all his Rotoms because who cares about Levitate when you have Mold Breaker? The Rotom fan was hit with a Strength to take it out in case you were wondering.

After having a quick run in with the better Juniper (don't @ me) we head on off to Celestial tower to ring the bell for our fallen comrades. And pick up Skyla so she can (hopefully) not kill somebody in our gym battle.

On the way there Fierhinde killed the Ponyta on route 7. Luckily I led with :lilligant: Lilly in the Celestial tower.
-Stando :duskull: ♂ Lv. 38 Naive @Celestial Tower

Now I haven't fully decided on the Skyla team and movesets So I don't have a squad ready to present. So I'll just give you a full list of all my Pokémon.
Beat Clay without any trouble.
Beat Bianca handily.
Beat N in Chargestone cave.
Caugh 2 Pokémon. Nicole :joltik: & Stando :duskull:
Made Skyla return to her gym.
Likely picks for Skyla
:duskull: Stando ♂ Lv. 38 @Eviolite
:steelix: David ♂ Lv. 45 @Rocky Helmet
:joltik: Nicole ♀ Lv. 36 @Magnet
:gengar: Granger ♀ Lv. 54 @Expert Belt
:archeops: Medius ♂ Lv. 41 @nothing
:darmanitan: Tots ♀ Lv. 50 @Charcoal
:rampardos: Cerebrum ♂ Lv. 39 @Quick Claw

Unlikely but possible options for Skyla
:jumpluff: Moonshoes ♂ Lv. 46 @King's Rock
:crobat: Robin ♀ Lv. 39 @Blacksludge
:musharna: Polko ♂ Lv. 38 @nothing
:sawk: Chopper ♂ Lv. 48 @Black Belt
:simipour: HydroHomie ♂ Lv. 45 @Mystic Water

Very unlikely picks
:lilligant: Lilly ♀ Lv. 47 @Big Root
:farfetchd: Fierhinde ♀ Lv. 49 @Stick
:vanillite: Fahrenkalt ♀ Lv. 30 @nothing

Definitely not being used for Skyla
:plusle: Addit ♂ Lv. 30 @nothing
:dwebble: Chad ♂ Lv. 25 @nothing
:pidgeotto: Yegdip ♀ Lv. 32 @nothing
:vespiquen: Bijekoer ♀ Lv. 30 @nothing
:trubbish: Jiskefet ♂ Lv. 29 @nothing
:mandibuzz: Bonny ♀ Lv. 29 @nothing
This is how I go about choosing my teams for the gyms. Making a list of those who surely can do well, like :steelix: David. Nothing except Swanna can touch him. with his massive defense. Or :rampardos: Cerebrum with his massive attack stat and super-effective STAB.
Then we get to someone which is not a conventional pick but can do well to shut down one Pokémon. :jumpluff: Moonshoes can use her Worry Seed to make it that Skyla's :gliscor: will actually Toxic himself instead of heal, his Reflect will also do well to protect his team. But his weakness to Flying makes him a risky choice.
Following up we go for the very unlikely picks. Somebody who doesn't have much to offer but can come clutch in a do-or-die moment. :farfetchd: Fierhinde can crit and kill just about anybody on Skyla's team but is overruled by those who aren't at such a big risk.
Finally we get to the "not worth the effort" picks. Either they are just weak to the gym or I have Pokémon who can do their work better and require less investment. If you're on this list you most likely won't see the light of day unless something realy bad happens or you're the perfect pick for a later moment.
:tirtouga: Crusta ♂ Lv. 30