A journey through Trauma: Horror movie reviews

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Okay...so I've always been a bit of a wimp when it comes to horror movies, like the person in a friend group who hides under the sofa for the next three nights after watching a B movie slasher. So my friend made fun of me for it a few hours ago which compelled me to start frequenting horror movies since it's a genre I really love, but am terrified of.

So that's kinda where this review thread comes in! It's more like filtering my thoughts and feelings about a movie down so I can appreciate the craft and somewhat chip at my fear a bit? I don't know if that'll work lol, but considering I haven't watched many of the old ones or the more recent ones, I guess this will be a perfect place for me to share my thoughts whenever I watch a horror movie. I have a few movies in mind actually, but since I haven't watched many, I'd love a few suggestions too! Either way this is going to be my outlet to get over some fears!

So the main pattern I planned on having is switching between a modern horror movie (AKA the 2000s+) and the more classic horror movies (Pree 2000s) and since the first movie I want to watch is decided, I'll be alternating between those two for a while and hopefully in a couple months I'll get used to the genre. Here's hoping lol

Conquered Titles
Ghost Stories (2017)​

Last edited:

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
GHOST STORIES (2017)

Okay this was an odd start for my first movie to watch lol, but I was really interested in watching this movie since it came out and I wasn't sure what to expect honestly lol. I'm easily startled and this movie really hit me with some seriously freaky imagery. This movie is basically a string of 3 short stories that couldn't be understood by a popular (and assumed dead) paranormal debunker. So a rather popular modern paranormal debunker was invited to try to solve these 3 cases that couldn't be explained and boom the movie starts.

My feelings about the Movie
This movie was so interesting!! Like the premise itself just got me excited and the way that it set up everything was crazy interesting! All three stories/cases seemed to have three distinct genre of horror and they were strung together by our protagonist who was being treated to the story, while we watched their experiences. The atmosphere in this movie is also really heavy...it didn't really give me a break and I felt on edge throughout all the scenes, not one of them were less interesting than the other okay the first one was pretty standard and it was interesting enough to keep me around even when I really didn't want to be there to watch the end result of all this. The ending was so confusing that I'm not really sure what to think. Confusing isn't the right word lol, I get what happened, but I didn't have enough time to process it while it was happening. Last 10-15 minutes of this movie were a bit too strange so I kinda dock points for that also gonna dock points cause I couldn't understand their british accents, but otherwise this movie was so cool!

So I would recommend this to people that like contemplative horror movies mixed with a bit of weirdness, but it definitely had some heavy fear elements, the third short story/case specially really got me at the end...

On that note, time to talk about how scared I got:

How scared was I throughout?
Like I said, I was on edge for most of this movie. Each story/case tried to mess with me in different ways, each of them giving me distinctly different feelings about them.
The first story/case was more generic in it's horror elements, as in the stuff you're used to probably? It built up the tension really well though, over like 10 minutes or something? It really hit when the creature appeared and I was pretty much frozen in place.
The second story/case is probably the most fun one, mixing comedy and horror, but even that freaked me out considerably...I'm not sure how it resolved, but it made me laugh nervously for most of it so it's probably the least scary one? Still solid
The third one started off really slowly...but as the protagonist kept going through the case, I think this one scared me the most by the sheer suddenness of it. It was psuedo jumpscare, but it was so well built up that I just couldn't get the face out of my head even though I watched the movie like a week or two ago...
So yeah it was scary. A lot of tension gathering, only dipped near the ending tbh

Rating
As a film: 8/10
Being scared: 7/10

lol I hope the next movie is not too creepy

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
I like the premise of this review series, great theme, made me smile. I hope you'll continue with this soon?

That being said I'm deducting points for that shade thrown at British accents, you ****.