Nuzlocke A Meticulous Rush ~ Pokemon White 2 Chesslocke FINAL CHAPTER!

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Welcome one and all to my first documented Nuzlocke! Well it is a chesslocke specifically. This is an extremely specialized version of a nuzlocke which forces strategy more than anything so I'll be trying my best to not lose too early!

So without further ado:
Standard Nuzlocke Rules

1. The locke will only begin once I collect pokeballs
2. You can catch only one Pokemon per route
3. You must nickname each Pokemon that is caught
4. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead
Chesslocke Rules

1. There is a catch limitation of 15 Pokemon (excluding the starter), giving a total of 16 Pokemon throughout the entire locke.
2. Throughout the run I may only have 1 King, 1 Queen, 2 Bishop, 2 Knights, 2 Rooks and 8 Pawns. Due to the limited number of Pokemon I am able to catch, I may skip some early encounters
3. Each Pokemon must be given their role before they can be used in battle.
Roles

King: My Starter is the king. The king cannot be boxed under any circumstances and must always be on my team. If the King dies, the locke is over!

Queen: Only Female Pokemon may be the queen

Bishop: May only have two damaging moves at any time

Knight: May not use moves which have a base power greater than 60 (Without calculating STAB)

Rook: May not use moves with secondary effects on the enemy. They can use non damaging moves however. (For example, The rook can use tackle and stun spore, but not ember because it has the added effect of potentially burning) [EDIT on 22/12/18, I reread the rules and I misinterpreted one of the rules when I read. The moves shouldn't have secondary effects ON the enemy however moves like giga drain, leaf storm or thrash which have secondary effects on my pokemon, it is fine.]

Pawn: May not evolve ever. It also cannot be a Pokemon that is already evolved upon capture or has no evolution. If a Pawn manages to win a major battle (Rival, Gym Leader, E4, etc) by itself then it can be become a Knight, Bishop, Rook or a Queen, the last only applies to female Pawns.

So that is the gist of it. I haven't decided on a starter yet, but I will be starting the first chapter of the locke soon~ I hope you enjoy the challenge and let's hope that this doesn't turn out horrendously bad!

Last edited:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
omgosh that sounds difficult, but very interesting! :0 I didn't know about this challenge, good luck with it Moxie ^^
very curious about what pokemon you will choose~

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Okay, I hate to say this, but gotta agree with @Bunnie about this sounding difficult. It's still interesting, though. :happyazurill:

That aside, I have a question regarding the roles in chesslocke. If your starter turned out to be a female one, will she count as the King? Or maybe as the Queen? Which one is it?

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Bunnie: I knew of it for a looooong time, but I was way too intimidated to actually try it! Well I mean I'm trying it now, but I don't really have the highest of hopes xD. And yup~ Starter is Oshawatt!

Sania: The rules never did specify about that, but I'd assume I have to keep restarting till I get a Male. Thankfully don't have to worry about that

Calaf: Thank you! I appreciate it
First update surprisingly today! Guess I was excited
“Are you hungry Kenshi?”

Kenshi, my Oshawatt seemed to be giving me the cold shoulder after that narrow victory. He seemed to be mad at me for panicking and almost costing us the fight against Monty. I sighed a bit as I lightly adjusted the golden king sticker that was placed on his chest, smiling at the shine that it gave off in contrast to the night sky. I got up and Kenshi seemed to begrudging follow my lead as we crossed through route 19, the cold breeze egging me forward.

It wasn’t long before we were intercepted by a large man who claimed to be the champion, It was rather hard for me to believe since the carefree expression sure didn’t instill the tough grit I expected from a champion that had won his own king’s game. The man who called himself Alder seemed quite amused, proving his champion status with a king sticker emblazoned on his Volcarona. “Though I am an ex champion more than anything.”

“An ex champion?” That meant he had been defeated, his king probably having been wiped out. I stared at his Volcarona in a bit of awe, while Kenshi seemed to be a lot more aggressive with its sense of awe…oh was he just angry? After seeing the golden king sticker on my Kenshi, Alder decided on his own that he would make me his apprentice. Before I could even try to argue against that, he told me to move forward through route 20 with his battling guidance.

Hardly getting to see the surroundings in Floccesy town, I ended up being rushed forward into route 20 with only the slightest of guidance from Alder. Even with the small bit of guidance, I managed to get through route 20 all the way up to Floccesy ranch.

Just as I walked in, I was intercepted by a wild Pidove. A long battle later, I managed to capture without much difficulty. I named the Pidove, Rivo then tried to make Kenshi say hi, only to get glared off by him. I sighed a bit in defeat and decided to place a pawn sticker onto Rivo after a little deliberation. However a run in with Monty and his Snivy ended up allowing me to promote Rivo to a Bishop.

It was quite the rush through Floccesy town after that battle, a hunt for a missing Pokemon which seemed to be held captive by…a showman? Why else would he be in such a get up? Must be an actor from Pokestar studios forgetting they were still in character. Heading back to Alder’s dwelling after those exhausting sequence of events seemed to be almost a comfort. Clearly I was naive
-Named myself Rune
-Named rival as Monty
-Picked Oshawatt as my starter (King) and decided to name him Kenshi
-Fought Monty at Aspertia City
-Ran away from wild Patrat encounter in route 19
-Ran away from wild Sewaddle encounter in route 20
-Caught Pidove (Pawn) at Floccesy ranch and decided to name him Rivo
-Fought Monty at Floccesy Ranch with Rivo solo, allowing it to get promoted
-Promoted Rivo into Bishop
-Defeated Alder’s two students
Route 19: Patrat – (avoided)
Route 20: Sewaddle – (avoided)
Floccesy Ranch: Pidove – (Caught and made it Pawn)
Oshawott_B2W2.gif

Kenshi the Oshawatt (King)
Lvl: 10
Nature : Gentle
Ability: Torrent
Moves: Tackle, Tail whip, Water Gun

Pidove_BW.gif

Rivo the Pidove (Pawn -> Bishop by defeating Hugh solo at Floccesy Ranch)
Lvl: 10
Nature: Impish
Ability: Big Pecks
Moves: Gust, Growl, Leer
King, Queen, Bishop, Bishop, Knight, Knight, Rook, Rook, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn
Nothing yet
Nothing yet

Last edited:

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
This looks fun. I love chess. I think I'll do something similar to this.
By the way, why did you run from the Patrat and Sewaddle?

icelandic

Adept Trainer
It's certainly a cool concept, and the promotion mechanics are a neat touch.

Will you be following a level cap, or just grinding like crazy?

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
yay this is exciting ^^ Kenshi already acting like a King hmm n.n
have you already decided what pokemon you'll use for each role?

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
So if I understand this correctly, you are not limited to the first encounter on a route like in a regular Nuzlocke? And the Pidove doesn't count as one of your two Bishops right?

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
@Greninjaman: It sure is fun! Well kinda stressful. And I ran from Patrat and Sewaddle because I am only allowed to catch 15 Pokemon total in the locke as to represent the number of pieces in a chess board, the king being the starter and the sixteenth. I didn’t think sewaddle and Patrat were worth it.

@icelandic: I want to stay somewhat on par, but there may be times where I grind a bit to overlevel slightly, probably in the later parts of the game!

@Bunnie: I’ve never used Oshawatt before so I’m glad to use Kenshi! And no not really. Since I have one chance each route I’m going into it semi blind but I check a lot of things before deciding it’s role and if it’s worth adding to the roster. Like I knew I’d have a battle with Hugh soon when I caught Rivo so it gave me a chance to get rid of a pawn straight from the start! Not going to be as easy to promote as I keep heading forward

@Calaf: Actually I am limited to one mon per route. If I run from an encounter it’s like wasted, but since I can only catch 15 Pokemon total I need to make all my catches count! Patrat and sewaddle weren’t gonna cut it. And no! Since Pidove was a pawn, it doesn’t take up a bishop slot even though it’s promoted. That’s why early game promotion is good since the major battles are relatively easy for the pawns to solo.
So I haven’t already gotten to finish all my documenting and playing yet so I decided to instead give my thoughts on the first chapter since I didn’t do that earlier
I am already enjoying myself skimming through these mechanics. I had to research what kind of moves Pidove has as I almost made it a Knight or a Rook. Thankfully I did recall the Hugh match and went with Pawn.
I’m kind of nervous about facing the gym leader but I have to just go for it! Might grind a bit to be even with Cheren though
If you were playing this locke instead of me, which starter would you pick as your king?

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Since losing the king means losing the challenge, I think the low speed and relatively low defenses of the Emboar line would make it somewhat of a liability. I feel like the Samurott line is the most balanced for this challenge, although the Serperior line would be good as well. Serperior wouldn't have as much offensive power, but then again, neither does the king in actual chess :P

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Hmm, doing the research like you did, that's a tricky one.

Serperior has the advantage of speed, but for me the massive drawback of poor coverage. Poor coverage means switching and switching is dangerous in a Nuzlocke. Serperior can however learn Dual Screens which I reckon could be a massive asset, meaning it can be better kept alive with item support

Samurott is probably the best typing defensively and he gets priority Aqua Jet too which could save his neck. Plus Oshawott is so cute :oshawott: !

Emboar is a strong attacker, but I agree the low speed could be an issue, plus a lot of his moves have recoil. I'd say Tepig's my last choice.

I think I'd go with Oshawott. Snivy's later potential is tempting, but in a *locke there's a real risk you don't get to the later game.

Mind you that aspect to Snivy would fit the theme. In chess, once it reaches the endgame and the threat of an immediate checkmate is gone, "the King is a fighting piece" as Steinitz said. Usually reckoned as stronger than a bishop or knight.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Yeah honestly I think Tepig wouldn't be very good in this format. I was considering Snivy for a long time, but I decided against it eventually and went with Oshawatt since I didn't want to take any risks. True it's not as bulky as Snivy, but Oshawatt is pretty decent all around, good enough for a king I'd think since the goal is for him to live is all!

I actually finished up a lot more playing and documenting today! This part is a bit on the smaller end, because I didn't want to get two badges all in one update. So the format will loosely be going from one badge to another!

“Gym leader challenge? Why would I bother?” I mumbled while munching on the half hearted breakfast that Alder had whipped up. I had decided to stay over last night, since I was wiped out from the adventure at the Ranch. My bed hair was bundled up inside my hat as I started to get ready for my day.

Alder seemed to be extremely energetic even this early in the morning as he rushed me out of his house “Yes! The gym leader challenge is essential for anyone attempting the King’s game. As you cannot challenge the champion without all the 8 badges you see?” It was a brief explanation, but it seemed like that was all he thought I needed as he made me head towards Aspertia City…

“Okay so are you guys feeling ready?” I had gotten through the two trainers at the gym with relative ease, but was starting to get anxious as I looked up at Cheren on his…pedestal I guess? Kenshi and Rivo seemed to be pretty motivated, Rivo more so than Kenshi. Well it was good enough I suppose.

After a relatively hard, yet satisfyingly technical battle involving potions and X enhancers, Rivo managed to defeat Cheren’s Pokemon by himself. The gleaming basic badge seemed to fit the slot in my badge case perfectly. A bit of advice was thrown around, but nothing too serious as Cheren directed me towards Virbank City for my next challenge…

Having seen a family spat that seemed to between the gym leader herself, I ended up deciding to do a bit of training in the Virbank complex, where I was met with a rather irritable Elekid. After a grueling battle with Elekid, including electric attacks to the detriment of my very electric weak team and several Pokeballs, I finally managed to capture him. Naming him Variable and giving him the Bishop sticker due to his seemingly high attack power, I felt confident enough to take on the gym.

“Knock it off you guys…” Kenshi and Variable seemed to having an argument about who was stronger…maybe I wasn’t as confident as I thought.
-Defeated Cheren and got the basic badge!
-Reached Virbank City
-Caught Elekid (Bishop) at Virbank Complex and named him Variable
-Cleared out Virbank Complex
-Defeated trainers in Virbank Gym, all except for Roxie
Virbank Complex: Elekid – (Caught and made it Bishop)
Oshawott_B2W2.gif

Kenshi the Oshawatt (King)
Lvl: 15
Moves: Tackle, Tail whip, Water Gun, Focus Energy

Pidove_BW.gif

Rivo the Pidove (Pawn -> Bishop by defeating Hugh solo at Floccesy Ranch)
Moves: Air Cutter, Growl, Work up, Quick Attack

Elekid_BW.gif

Variable the Elekid (Bishop)
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Static
Moves: Shock Wave, Frustration, Leer, Quick Attack(Not allowed to use)
King, Queen, Bishop, Bishop, Knight, Knight, Rook, Rook, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn
Nothing yet
Nothing yet
Catching this Elekid was a nightmare. Like it was so bad to the point where I had to hope for Kenshi to tank as many thunder shocks as possible. Was it worth it? Not completely sure yet, but the high speed and mixed attack powers of Electabuzz keep me optimistic.
And god there were so many crits in this portion. Like 5 or so in such a small time frame!
The battle with Cheren wasn't so bad since I used an X attack and X defense on my Rivo. I mean they kept using work up so I still wasn't confident, but managed to get through it pretty easily
Who do you think is going to be the weak link moving forward from the team and who do you think has the most potential?

Last edited:

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I think Variable is going to be held back by the Bishop restriction. In competitive at least its final form was famous for carrying moves to hit just about everything super-effective. Mind you, it was also famous for still not having quite enough power. But Knight or Rook would also have been a problem for Variable, so maybe Bishop was the least bad option.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
All in all, you currently have quite a well-rounded team, so I think that each of your current Pokemon will prove to be valuable at some point. Still, I have to agree with icelandic that Variable's designation as a Bishop may prevent you from using its coverage potential. The Electivire line can still be quite powerful in-game though, even if it just has an Electric move and one coverage move. I actually think Rivo will turn out to be the weakest member, due to it mainly learning special moves, while its physical attack stat is so much better.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Yeah, I mean Variable is pretty hard hitting, but god he can't take a hit. I have a few regrets with catching him honestly, but I should be fine I think...Rivo so far has been great! It's surprisingly bulky because of it's impish nature and return does a crazy amount of damage...particularly one shotting the sandile I wanted...
So this chapter is definitely longer than the last! I think this is how the trend will be at this point from now on! I'm just splitting them at points where gym badges are won. So far the locke has been a lot of fun! A lot to keep track off, but it adds to the fun~
A blue glow enveloped Kenshi just as it used it’s shell to deflect a venoshock from Roxie’s Whirlipede. Before I could even tell what was happening, Kenshi struck Whirlipede hard with it’s newly gained move Razor shell. The Whirlipede fell in defeat, and the transformation seemed to stick…Kenshi had evolved into a Dewott! I paced over to it, leaning over to pat it’s head, but stopping out of caution only to be met halfway by his head in an awkward movement. I smiled at the endearing gesture before slotting in the Toxic badge into the badge case. After exchanging some basic pleasantries with Roxie, I decided to make my way to my next destination…

I groaned in exasperation as I sat outside the staircase of the Pokestar screening room, having being forced into making a feature. Kenshi and Variable weren’t even trying to hide their laughter at my dry line delivery while Rivo seemed to be respectfully quiet. “Next time I’m going to stick you guys in front of those screens too…” I grumbled loud enough for them to hear, their laughing stopping in it’s tracks instantly. Satisfying.

Making our way back to Virbank city, I ended up being pulled into a confrontation with Team Plasma. After a brief scuffle it escalated to a chase on the sea. They seemed to escape into the vast expanse of Castelia city. After a thorough search, I ended up going with Monty into the Castelia sewers.

“Ugh this is disgusting…”

“Well what did you expect a Sewer to smell like exactly?” Monty asked harshly, his mind laser focused on hunting the team plasma members

“Well I’m sure this is a surprise to you, but I don’t go sewer diving too often” I mumbled before internally deciding it was safer to not say anything more as it might frustrate him more. Thankfully it wasn’t long until we found a few team plasma grunts. A quick scuffle later, the gym leader Burgh seemed to scare them off just with his presence.

Hardly any words were exchanged between me and Burgh after Monty left, except for the promise of meeting each other in the gym soon…

I ended up stumbling into an odd park like area by going up a staircase connected to the sewers, thinking it was an alternate exit to the sewer. I managed to find and capture a Petilil that was curiously hobbling abut. It was quite the adorable addition, and it didn’t take too long for me to decide on the name Solara and the role Rook. After the addition I decided to start heading towards Burgh’s gym…

Rivo seemed to relish fighting the Harlequins as it had a clear advantage with it’s flying type. I depended on him so much that it evolved into a Tranquill after a battle with a Swadloon. It seemed to be just in time to face the gym leader too.
-Trained everyone in Virbank complex to lvl 16
-After an EXTREMELY grueling battle with Roxie, almost losing Kenshi atleast 3 times, I managed to win the Toxic badge with no casualties!
-Kenshi evolved into Dewott after defeating Roxie
-Had an “enlightening” time in the Pokestar studios
-Chased down Team Plasma all the way to Castelia city by boat
-Got a bike from a local harlequin in Castelia city
-Explores the Castelia sewers for Team Plasma
-Ran away from wild Rattata at Castelia sewers
-Ran away from wild Timburr at Relic Passage
-Caught Petilil (Rook) in Castelia City/Castelia park and named her Solara
-Rivo evolved into Tranquill while fighting the Harlequins in the gym
-Defeated all trainers in Castelia gym besides Burgh
Virbank Complex: Elekid – (Caught and made it Bishop)
Castelia Sewers: Rattata – (avoided)
Relic Passage: Timburr –(avoided)
Castelia Park/Castelia City: Petilil – (Caught and made it Rook)
Route 4: Sandile (Tried to catch, but killed by mistake)
Dewott_B2W2.gif

Kenshi the Dewott (King)
Lvl: 21
Moves: Fury Cutter, Razor Shell, Water Gun, Focus Energy

Tranquill_BW.gif

Rivo the Tranquill (Pawn -> Bishop by defeating Hugh solo at Floccesy Ranch)
Lvl: 22
Moves: Air Cutter, Roost, Work Up, Return

Elekid_BW.gif

Variable the Elekid (Bishop)
Lvl: 20
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Static
Moves: Shock Wave, Return, Leer, Thunder Wave

Petilil_BW.gif

Solara the Petilil (Rook)
Lvl: 19
Nature: Navie
Ability: Chlorophyll
Moves: Leech Seed, Magical Leaf, Mega Drain, Synthesis
Nothing yet
Nothing yet
Fighting Roxie was horrible. Like I couldn’t handle her and poor Kenshi died almost 3 times due to those venoshocks from Whirlipede being persistently strong! I was almost sure the locke would end several times.

And yikes the effort I went for that stupid sandile! I almost lost Variable cause I tried to use frustration on it, and did like 5% lol I guess it liked me too much so that’s why I replaced it with return. But it sand tombed Variable so all I could do was heal it with the several lemonades I had until the tomb ended! Thankfully the sandile couldn’t one shot…

I was really hoping for a darumaka…to be fair I don’t think I could solo Burgh’s gym, cause I’m half sure he has a dwebble

And I decided to skip on Timburr cause I couldn't evolve it into Conkeldurr without trading and Gurdurr has only 405 base stats. Electabuzz has 495 so a lot more respectable!
How do you think I should handle hidden grottos? Skip them or consider them special? At the moment I'm thinking I'll skip them or count them as the route encounter itself

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I would go by how the game shows the capture location. If it's Route X, then it counts as the encounter for that route; because Grotto Pokemon aren't completely fixed encounters, I'd regard them as random encounters.

If the Pokemon's shown as captured at somewhere else, then go by that. (I can't remember what BW2 actually show).

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
YESSS welcome to the team Solara :3

so that's the new precious member~ i love Petilil (and Lilligant), so i hope she does well in this challenge ^^

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
I think that being allowed one Hidden Grotto encounter throughout the entire game, like Marriland did in his Black 2 Wedlocke, would be a good solution. You could also take Hidden Grotto encounters as the encounter for that route, which I think wouldn't be too broken as you are limited to 16 encounters total anyway. Either way, it would be a shame to miss out on Skill Link Minccino, as it would be a perfect Knight :)

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I’ve decided to just count hidden grotto encounters as the entire route encounter. Route 5 and route 16 have similar Pokemon anyway so it shouldn’t be too much of a loss. That skill link Minccino is definitely worth it :naughtyazurill:

Last edited: