Nuzlocke [Ad Victoriam] - WindriderShiva's Generationlocke - Red Arc: Chapter 5! Soulbadge get!

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227

Yessss... another attempt at a Generationlocke. Apparently I never learn. Whoddathunkit?

So what's a Generationlocke?
Well, it's a series of Nuzlockes, from Generation I and all the way up to whichever Generation is current. In this case, I'm going for I through VII, and likely VIII when it comes out.

An important aspect is that the Pokémon species I'll be bringing all the way to the E4 and into the HOF won't be valid catches for the next games (ie. if I use a Nidoking in Red, I won't be able to catch the NidoranM line, or use them anymore through the next games). I think this is my big clause. Rest will be pretty standard fare Nuzlockes. ... I hope.

So about 2 or 3 years ago, I tried one of those. My run met its demise on Sapphire, at the champion, that I remember. It was quite a couple runs, complete with a surprise shiny (Jynx), a Meganium in the HOF, and some nasty bouts of wtf-do-I-do (late Sapphire was super painful). Well this time, I'm hoping to go further than that! I'll probably be planning more, level more carefully and, for once, make better use of TMs and X-whatever items. I guess I want to be more effective, this time around. I'm also hoping to be done by the time Gen VIII rolls around, so I can eventually add that run to this. Not sure how that's gonna work, but we'll see as I eventually as I wipe at Misty progress through the games.

Still, here are the good ol' Nuzlocke rules:

1. If your Pokemon faints, it has "died" and can no longer be used in battle. After a Pokemon "dies", you must either place them in the box permanently or release them. Revival items cannot be used to bring them back, and you can't reset your game either.

2. You can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in an area. This means that if you run into a Pikipek on Route 1, that is the only Pokemon you can catch for that route. If you aren't able to catch it, your encounter for that location is used up.
    • Bodies of water count as the route or town they're in. If you encounter a Magikarp by fishing on Route 204 and it's your first encounter for that route, you can't catch something from the grass or other areas on Route 204 anymore.
    • Trades and gift Pokemon count as encounters for the areas they happen in.

• You can choose how you want to handle encounters before you receive Pokeballs, as well as areas like the Safari Zone.
  3. You can only trade with other games to activate Trade Evolutions. This means that you can only use Pokemon you can actually catch/obtain in your game. In-game trades and gift Pokemon are up to your own judgement.

4. You MUST nickname every Pokemon you catch! This makes the Pokemon more personal- which causes deaths to have an even bigger impact.
The Nuzlocke Challenge also has some clauses, or exceptions to the rules:
  1. Dupes Clause: If your first encounter in an area is a Pokemon you have already caught, that encounter doesn't count. This also applies to Pokemon that belong to an evolutionary family you have already caught. This way you don't get a team full of Pidgeys or Bidoof.

2. Shiny Clause: If you encounter a Shiny Pokemon, you are allowed to catch it. You can choose to replace a Pokemon you already have with it, or just trade it to a different game if you don't want to use it in your challenge.
Additional clauses:
  1. Pokémon that make it to a game's Hall of Fame cannot be re-used for subsequent games.
  2. Any KO before Pokéballs are obtained does not count towards the challenge.

Much like my first attempt, I'll be dividing this into arcs, each with their own compilation posts where I'll keep track of chapters, catches and so on. They'll be listed right under here.

- Coming soon!

This being said, it's time for...

Pokémon Red!

Stay tuned for an update!

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
GLOBAL TRACKER
Starter: Squirtle
Route 1: Pidgey
Route 2: Weedle
Viridian Forest: Pikachu
Route 3: Spearow
Mount Moon: Zubat
Route 4: KOed encounter
Route 5:
Route 6: Mankey
Route 7: No more valid catches
Route 8: Growlithe
Celadon: Eevee > Jolteon
Route 9:
Route 10:
Rock Tunnel: Geodude
Power Plant:
Pokémon Tower: KOed encounter
Route 11:
Route 12: KOed encounter
Route 13: Ditto
Route 14:
Route 15: KOed encounter
Route 16: KOed Encounter
Route 17: KOed encounter
Route 18: Doduo
Safari Zone: Rhyhorn
Route 19: Horsea
Route 20:
Route 21:
Route 22: Nidoran M
Route 23:
Route 24: Abra teleported out
Route 25: Oddish

Global death count: 14

• Malik (Wartortle): Died by a trainer's Geodude's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Hilda (Mankey): Died by a trainer's Geodude's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Omar (Drowzee): Died by a trainer's Geodude's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Demitrios (Nidoking): Died by a trainer's Geodude's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Jackie (Pikachu): Died by a trainer's Graveler's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Birb (Pidgeotto): Died to a Machop in Rock Tunnel
  • SNAAAAAAKE (Arbok): Rival's Gyarados, Hydro Pump
  • Tamara (Graveler): Rival's Gyarados, Hydro Pump
  • Stabby (Beedrill): Rival's Gyarados, Dragon Rage
  • Timmy (Gloom): Died by a trainer's Voltorb Selfdestruct on Route 17
  • Hart (Fearow): Died by a trainer's Voltorb Selfdestruct on Route 17
  • Doggo (Gorlithe): Died by a Raticate's crit Hyper Fang on Route 17
  • Morfintime (Ditto): Died by a trainer's Voltorb's Selfdestruct on Route 12
  • Harvey (Dooduo): Died by a trainer's Voltorb's Selfdestruct on Route 12

- None yet!

Last edited:

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227

"Now is not the time to use that!"
- Prof. Oak

Aaah, Pokémon Red... my first Pokémon game. Land of Lord Helix, ATV and Bird Jesus. Shorts that are comfy and easy to wear. Oak doesn't remember his grandson's name. The Fly glitch. Memory overflows, HP underflows, surfing on statues... this game is pretty broken all-around. And it aged more or less well, to be honest. Psychic types are OP, Dragons are annoying, but at least Sturdy isn't a thing yet. I still have some sorta fun playing it, hence why I'm playing this instead of FRLG.

There's also nostalgia involved in there, no lie.

Well, looking forward to see what that game has in store for me!

Starter: Squirtle
Route 1: Pidgey
Route 2: Weedle
Viridian Forest: Pikachu
Route 3: Spearow
Mount Moon: Zubat
Route 4: KOed encounter
Route 5:
Route 6: Mankey
Route 7: No more valid catches
Route 8: Growlithe
Celadon: Eevee > Jolteon
Route 9:
Route 10:
Rock Tunnel: Geodude
Power Plant:
Pokémon Tower: KOed encounter
Route 11:
Route 12: KOed encounter
Route 13: Ditto
Route 14:
Route 15: KOed encounter
Route 16: KOed Encounter
Route 17: KOed encounter
Route 18: Doduo
Safari Zone: Rhyhorn
Route 19: Horsea
Route 20:
Route 21:
Route 22: Nidoran M
Route 23:
Route 24: Abra teleported out
Route 25: Oddish

• Malik (Wartortle): Died by a trainer's Geodude's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Hilda (Mankey): Died by a trainer's Geodude's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Omar (Drowzee): Died by a trainer's Geodude's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Demitrios (Nidoking): Died by a trainer's Geodude's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Jackie (Pikachu): Died by a trainer's Graveler's Selfdestruct in Rock Tunnel
  • Birb (Pidgeotto): Died to a Machop in Rock Tunnel
  • SNAAAAAAKE (Arbok): Rival's Gyarados, Hydro Pump
  • Tamara (Graveler): Rival's Gyarados, Hydro Pump
  • Stabby (Beedrill): Rival's Gyarados, Dragon Rage
  • Timmy (Gloom): Died by a trainer's Voltorb Selfdestruct on Route 17
  • Hart (Fearow): Died by a trainer's Voltorb Selfdestruct on Route 17
  • Doggo (Gorlithe): Died by a Raticate's crit Hyper Fang on Route 17
  • Morfintime (Ditto): Died by a trainer's Voltorb's Selfdestruct on Route 12
  • Harvey (Dooduo): Died by a trainer's Voltorb's Selfdestruct on Route 12

Last edited:

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Ooh, a generationlocke!! I wish you all the luck and do hope you get to go further than on your last one ^^ Good luck!

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
@SkylarAlpha : Thanks! I hope I get further too. Kinda stressful but I don't know where I'll get if I don't try, eh?

So far, so good! Managed to play quite a bit yesterday, gonna get more time in today. I'm roughly an update ahead, which is a good thing because my play time tends to go down during the week. I was originally going to stream the whole thing but ultimately decided it was too much investment. I have to juggle various things, so at least I can update at my own pace.

So here's the first update!

CHAPTER 1 - HELLO THERE AND WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF POKÉMON!

I'll be your sarcastic, deadpan, meta humor-lovin' guide throughout this run. I'm not one for huge fancy stories (that might change with Pokémon Shield/Sword), so I hope no one's expecting that. Expect puns though.

I went through the dialogue renamed Gary... Gary. Because I can. It's kind of a thing in my runs where I have a liking for the default rival name, though sometimes I'll rename them something stupid like "DUDE". Dude was my rival in Let's Go.

First off, I picked up the Potion from my PC, then exited my house. Despite all these years, my move was to walk right into tall grass. Yep, it's still unsafe. Prof Oak nabbed me outta there, brought me to his lab, where we were joined by what's-his-name, I forgot. Prof Oak instructed us to pick one Pokémon each.

Since this is a Nuzlocke, I left this to RNJesus. From left selection to right:
1: Bulbasaur
2: Squirtle
3: Charmander

Well I got a 2, meaning Squirtle is my starter! I named him Malik. Gary chose Bulbasaur.

Pokémon Trainer Gary
He had his Bulbasaur use Growl, and dear crap my Squirtle has no freaking attack. I used Tail Whip twice, adding some damage... but his Bulbasaur is definitely stronger. He kept using Tackle, with one missed Growl somewhere near the end - and another that connected. I mostly mashed Tackle, while using the Potion because money and I'M WINNING THIS.

Stats: 12/14/11/11. I'll deal with it.

LET'S GET POKÉDEXING! WELL NOT REALLY.
With a bit more money on hand, I left to get Oak's Parcel in Viridian. Took a bit of time to grind on my way back, as I feel Malik's gonna need a couple more levels early on to not die. What I normally do is get my starter to 10 before moving on to Viridian Forest, and that's what I'm gonna do now. At least, he learned Bubble at level 8.

Had a quick rest at my house (two, I was mashing A), then went and delivered Oak's Parcel to, well, Oak. A custom Pokéball. Lucky him! We don't get those until huh... Gen III? Gen IV? Think it's IV.

Gary shows up again. Oak pretty much shove Pokédexes onto us and tells us to gather data on every Pokémon ever. Spoilers, avert your eyes: not happening. Gary proudly announces that he doesn't need me, which is fine because I also don't need him. Threats of not getting a town map are made, and finally, we're released into the wild.

I got Malik to level 10, went to the Pokémon center, then to the Mart to buy Pokéballs. The Nuzlocke has officially starter!

ENCOUNTER TIME
So here's a couple easy, potentially long-term team members encounters coming up.

On Route 1, my first encounter was level 3 Pidgey! His name is Birb, and I like Birb. I climbed back up to Viridian, I veered left onto Route 22, and caught myself a male Nidoran, Demitrios, who's also level 3. On Route 2, my encounter was a level 4 Weedle, who wormed his way onto my team as Stabby.

I took all of these beautiful 'mon back to Route 1 to grind. I wanted it safe, but it took a while. That's the drawback. I got everyone except Stabby to 10, and pushed through. To be fair, he was the first one on my team to evolve - Stabby is now a Kakuna! - and I figured I could get him there during that time.

In Viridian Forest, my catch was a Pikachu, also level 3. Jackie. No real reason why that name, just a random one like Malik and Demitrios. Good news is, I had no real trouble in the forest; I got poisoned once but I did have an Antidote on me. Even the level 9 Weedle went down without a fuss. Then again, I do have Demitrios who's a good help against Poison-types.

On reaching Pewter, I healed up, then went back down to grind a bit. Mostly on Kakuna, though some Weedle as well, and the odd Metapod that dared showing up. Team was 10, 11 (Demitrios) and 13 (Malik) before I decided to take on the Gym. Level 10 Kakuna... more like level 10 Beedrill! The run's first fully-evolved Pokémon!

In which I lost half of Malik's HP to a Diglett and decided to go back out, after he reached 14 anyways. I was hyped getting a Squirtle, but his damage is unfortunately awful, and Bubble not palliating. So I got him to 15, had him learn Water Gun, stocked on a couple of Potions, and re-entered the Gym.

PEWTER CITY GYM LEADER BROCK
Geodude: I had put Jackie in for some quick exp, then swapped her for Malik. Geodude used Tackle, Malik used Water Gun, and OHKOed it.
Onix: Onix's first Screech failed, its second hit, but so did Water Gun.

I got my first badge of this run, the Boulder Badge! And TM34, Bide, but I'm more excited about the badge!

And that just about does it for this update! I will be back at a later point with more!

A lot more.

7 generations of Nuzlockes!

• Started the game!
  • Named myself Shiva.
  • Got out of my house and went into the tall grass.
  • Tall grass police officer Prof Oak drew me out of it.
  • He also dragged me back to his lab to get a Pokémon. I'll take it.
  • Obtained Malik the Squirtle as my starter!
  • Gary challenged me to a fight, which I won. It was tight.
  • Went from Pokémon Trainer to delivery boy.
  • Picked up Oak's Parcel from Viridian City's Pokémart.
  • Went back and gave him his Parcel; got a Pokédex in return.
  • Leveled up a bit more and went baaack to Viridian. Bought Pokéballs!
  • The Nuzlocke has officially started!
  • Caught a level 3 Pidgey on Route 1, named Birb!
  • Caught a level 3 male Nidoran on Route 22, named Demitrios!
  • Caught a level 4 Weedle on Route 2 named Stabby!
  • Leveled my team a bit.
  • Stabby evolved into a Kakuna!
  • Caught a level 3 Pikachu in Viridian Forest, named Jackie!
  • Traversed Viridian Forest with very few difficulties.
  • Leveled everyone up to 10-ish.
  • Stabby evolved into a Beedrill!
  • Entered Pewter's Gym.
  • Beat the first trainer with Malik and went to level up some more.
  • Got Malik to 15! Water Gun!
  • Went back into the Gym.
  • Devoured Brock's Rock Pokémon. All of them were OHKOs.
  • Obtained the Boulder Badge! (And the Bide TM).
  • And now I'm taking a break.

Jackie - Pikachu (Electric)
Level: 11
Moveset: Thundershock, Growl, Thunder Wave

Stabby - Beedrill (Bug/Poison)
Level: 10
Moveset: Poison Sting, String Shot

Birb - Pidgey (Normal/Flying)
Level: 10
Moveset: Gust, Sand-Attack

Demitrios - NidoranM (Poison)
Level: 11
Moveset: Leer, Tackle, Horn Attack

Malik - Squirtle (Water)
Level: 15
Moveset: Tackle, Tail Whip, Bubble, Water Gun

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Finally, after a week, I have something to post!

CHAPTER 2 - HI! I LIKE SHORTS!

Exiting Pewter and onto Route 3, I started focusing on different Pokémon.

Talking about that youngster with the quote, on Route 3... I had Jackie out, and his Rattata crit her, leaving her at 7HP. She crit it back and KOed it though, but it was a scary moment, watching that HP drop. The rest went fine. My first wild encounter on here was a level 8 Spearow, Hart!

As for Mt. Moon, my catch is a level 8 Zubat! Her name is Lorie. Soon after, Malik reached 16 and evolved into a Wartortle, which is gonna help through this. Demetrios evolved while facing a Rocket grunt.
Honestly, the rest of Mt. Moon was rather eventless. No big fights, no near KOs. I picked up a Moon Stone somewhere to evolve Demitrios later on.

Ah damn... I was distracted and KOed my Route 4 encounter, Ekans. Ugh. I like Arbok too. I was not paying attention. At that point, I decided to grind some more, since I barely got done in the cave. I got my team to 18, except Stabby who's still 10... I gotta get around to him. time to face Oak's nameless grandson.

Pokémon Trainer Gary
Pidgeotto: This time I'm ready for it. I have Jackie on lead, she's 18 too. Thundershock crits and fails short of KOing Pidgeotto. The latter's Gust connects for a whole 15 HP. Jackie's Quick Attack crits as well.
Abra: I went with Hart for this. It used Teleport, failed, Hart dropped it to red zone with Peck. Another failed Teleport, another Peck, and Abra went down.
Rattata: Hart's Fury Attack missed. Rattata used Tackle before Hart's Fury Attack, hitting it twice before losing most of its health to a Hyper Fang. I sent Birb out; his defense was lowered by Tail Whip, leading into a crit Quick Attack. Nothing bad. Rattata was KOed to a Gust.
Bulbasaur: Gust crit! Bulbasaur used Growl, failed, then took another Gust to the face. It also used Vine Whip for a not-very-effective effect. One Quick Attack with Birb, and Bulbasaur was also KOed.

Considering my last Nuzlocke attempt failed there, this was super easy.

BUGGET NUGGET BRIDGE
#1, a Bug Catcher is, well, a Bug Catcher. Hart obliterated his team with two Pecks. The following Lass was a bit more annoying, mostly due to the Pidgey's Sand-Attack. The third trainer - the Youngster - gave me quite a scare, with his Rattata and its Hyper Fang. Sitting and watching your Pokémon's health going from mostly full... down to 3 HP. Whew. That was a close call. Number 4 went okay, but Number 5 has a Machop with Karate Chop. Demitrios handled it rather well though.

My catch on that route? An Abra!... that used Teleport. Oh well. No new Pokémon here either. I picked up a level 14 Oddish on Route 25, Timmy. Hope I can turn him into a Vileplume some day!

Anything "Machop" makes me get to the edge of my seat. I'm always afraid one's gonna nail that one crit that's gonna send a Pokémon to that PC box in the sky. And there's a couple of those on Route 25. Not helping that Karate Chop is typed Normal in Gen I, so Flying types like poor Hart still get nasty crits. I had to go back to the Pokécenter once about mid-way through the route, and after seeing Bill that was my first destination. On the other hand, I did get Stabby some levels; he's now 14.

I met up with Bill up at the Sea Cottage; the guy pretty much trapped himself inside of a Pokémn, The Fly-style. I did get rewarded with the SS. Anne Ticket, for pressing a button on a PC and listening to him.

After obtaining the ticket, I started grinding again. Save for Stabby, who's at 15, my entire team is 20; meaning I also had Hart evolve into a Fearow. So this looks like a good time to head to Cerulean City's Gym. I... hope so. I'm dreading that Starmie, but I always dread the Starmie. I stocked up on Potions, put Jackie up front, and went in.

The two trainers in there never stood a chance. Misty though...

Cerulean City Gym Leader Misty
Staryu: Jackie's Thundershock brought it down to under half HP. Despite not being very effective, Water Gun hit for also about half of Jackie's HP, but it went down.
Starmie: I healed Jackie and got a nasty Water Gun crit. 36 HP gone in one shot. I replaced her for Malik, used Tail Whip once, only to get it negated by an X-Defense. I spammed it while under several crits, from Water Gun to Tackle. Its defense lowered, I sent Hart, who also ate a crit Tackle, then a Bubblebeam. Peck did a nice number on it. I changed him for Birb, who despite a 31 HP Water Gun, brought Starmie down with Quick Attack.

Cascade Badge obtained! Along with TM11, Bubblebeam, and the permission to use Cut on trees.

SHOCK-PROOF PLANS
Now that I have the badge, I can exit Cerulean and deal with Surge. Time to get a new couple catches going. My Route 5 catch was a Mankey, Hilda, a welcome addition to my team. On Route 6, I got a Drowzee, Omar.

Admittedly I'm not in the best position for the next Gym, with two flyers and a Water Pokémon on my team. I do have Nidorino, who gains Ground typing on evolution. And I have a Moon Stone. He's right in that range to learn Thrash too, so evolving him real soon sounded like a good decision. In light of this, I got most of my team to 22-23 before I went to the Vermillion Gym, only to realize I didn't even have Cut.

Time for SS Anne... next update!

• Went out of Pewter and into Route 3.
  • Caught a Spearow on Route 3, Hart.
  • Caught a Zubat on Mt. Moon, Lorie.
  • Malik evolved into a Wartortle on Mount Moon!
  • Demitrios evolved into a Nidorino, also on Mount Moon!
  • KOed my Route 4 encounter, an Ekans. D:
  • Got most of the team to 18 before facing Gary. Was scared, not gonna lie. This is where my last Nuzlocke failed.
  • Faced Gary and won! Was easier than I thought it'd be.
  • Passed Nugget Bridge, all while not liking the fact Rattata leans Hyper Fang so early.
  • Also missed catching an Abra on Route 24/Nugget Bridge. Whoops.
  • Caught an Oddish on Route 25, Timmy!
  • Met Bill at the Sea Cottage and helped him reverse the effects of his machine.
  • Got the S.S. Anne Ticket for it too!
  • Went back to grinding.
  • Got my entire team to 20.
  • Hart evolved into a Fearow!
  • Entered the Water Gym.
  • Dealt with the trainers, then Misty.
  • Won against Misty! Got my Cascage Badge and the Bubbleteam TM.
  • Started planning against Surge, because Surge is mean.
  • Caught a Mankey on Route 5, Hilda.
  • Caught a Drowzee on Route 6, Omar.
  • Grinded until hitting about 22-23.
  • Evolved Demitrios into a Nidorino with the Moon Stone I got from Mt. Moon.
  • Walked to the Gym. Gym is blocked by the tree. I don't even have Cut.
  • Next stop: SS. Anne!

Level: 15
Moveset: Poison Sting, String Shot, Fury Attack

Malik - Squirtle (Water)
Level: 21
Moveset: Tackle, Tail Whip, Bubble, Water Gun

Jackie - Pikachu (Electric)
Level: 22
Moveset: Thundershock, Growl, Thunder Wave, Quick Attack

Hilda - Pidgey (Normal/Flying)
Moveset: Scratch, Leer, Karate Chop, Fury Swipes

Birb - Pidgey (Normal/Flying)
Level: 23
Moveset: Gust, Sand-Attack, Quick Attack, Whirlwind

Demitrios - NidoranM (Poison)
Level: 23
Moveset: Leer, Thrash, Horn Attack, Poison Sting

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Glad you survived Misty (and a previous KO location). Go get the captain some sea sickness medicine! (don't forget Gary right before the captain!)

Reactions: SAF

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
@tacobowler : Yup! Thanks for the reminder - took care of all that!

Everything after that, on the other hand...

CHAPTER 3 - CHAIN REACTION

I'm on S.S. Anne, somewhere I should've been a while ago, honestly. My habit is to clear it entirely, for both money and some exp. I also got some levels for Stabby, who also now boasts the Twineedle move.

Pokémon Trainer Gary
Pidgeotto
: It got a crit Quick Attack on Hilda, who also got a crit back, but with Karate Chop. I sent Jackie out, got her accuracy lowered by Sand Attack, took a Quick Attack, then missed Thundersock. Another Quick Attack went off, before Thundershock finally KOed it.
Raticate: I sent Demitrios and used Thrash. It connected, lowered its HP down to about 5, and Gary used a Potion. Thrash missed. Raticate used Tail Whip, and the next Thrash took care of Raticate.
Kadabra: Birb out! I'm not risking any of the multiple Poison or Fighter types I have. I chose Sand Attack. Kadabra's Teleport didn't do anything. Twice. 2 Quick Attacks worked just fine.
Ivysaur: Not having Hart, I let Stabby out. They match in level. One hit of a crit Twineedle was all it took to bring Ivysaur down. Stabby doesn't get mad - he gets stabby.

I reached the Captain, rubbed his back, and lo... my bag was full. I had to back out, go to the Pokécenter... where I healed, forgot to empty my bag, went back to the boat, flashed my ticket to the guard, realized what I was doing... and backtracked to the Pokécenter again. Came back again, went back to the Captain, rubbed his back for the second time, and got HM01, Cut.

As of now, Stabby isn't just stabby; he cuts.

WALKING DOWN ON ELECTRIC AVENUE
The Gym was surprisingly nice, with a Nidoking and a puzzle that didn't eat 10 minutes of my time. Maybe more like 3-4. I've always been terrible at the switch puzzle and I never remember the patterns, so I wing it. Sometimes it plays nice, other times it's doesn't. This was okay. I opened the doors, reached Surge, and decided to back out before triggering him. I walked out of the door and turned right instead of left, triggering the last Gentleman instead.

Vermillion City Gym Leader Lt. Surge
Voltorb: Voltorb started off with Sonicboom, followed it up with Tackle. Hilda crit Karate Chop twice, and KOed it.
Pikachu: I prepped Demitrios for this. Thrash. OHKO Pikachu.
Raichu: All of his Thunderbolts failed. Demitrios still needed 3 Thrash hits, but that was also a KO!

The Thunderbadge is mine! Along with TM24, Thunderbolt, and I can now use Fly. I won't have that for a bit, but I appreciate.

After getting my badge, I went back to Cerulean and veered right, onto Route 9. After making it through a few trainers, I came across a patch of grass, where I caught a level 15 Ekans, SNAAAAAAKE. I prepped up a bit for Rock Tunnel, by boxing Stabby for now, and replaced him with Omar the Drowzee. I thought I'd prepare more, get potions, the bike... so I headed back towards Celadon, but couldn't get past the bush because Stabby has Cut. I gave up, went back to Route 9, and entered Rock tunnel.

Keep that bit in mind.

ROCK SOLID
To prevent KOs against the Cubone fight at the start, I sent in Birb. Cubone growled enough to draw this fight over a while, but at least Birb was unharmed. I got my first encounter shortly after that battle, which was a Geodude! Named her Tamara.

The rest trainers were okay. Malik took care of the Rock encounters, Birb was responsible of the Machop, and everyone pitched in for other fights. I had it going!

OR MAYBE NOT...
So until I hit a Hiker with a level 25 Geodude, my run had gone well. Very well, in fact. No KO, even at Misty. Surge went down nicely. Gary got his butt kicked with ease. My team was solid. But there was one thing I forgot.

And that thing is Selfdestruct.

The forementioned Geodude used Selfdestruct and killed Malik, my starter. This is my first death of the run, and I'm sad, no lies. This is problematic because I don't have anything else that can take care of the amount of Geodude around, as Demitrios doesn't know any Ground attacks, same with Hilda who has no Fighting attacks yet. I also forgot to buy Escape Ropes.

Unsure if I was gonna power through or backtrack, without Flash on top of that, I just moved. I lost Hilda to another Selfdestruct, followed by Omar. Same reason.

I had no more potions and was out three Pokémon. Triggered a couple trainers, including yet another Hiker with a Selfdestructing Geodude. That cost me Demitrios. A Graveler took care of Jackie (with, you guessed it, Selfdestruct)... and another Hiker with a Machop destroyed Birb.

I have officially wiped at freaking Rock Tunnel.

This isn't the end though! I still have Pokémon, but this was a lot of losses in a matter of minutes. Most of it due to Selfdestruct. I legit forgot that it was a big killer. I tried to cover it up with Malik's Water typing, but even that failed. And when that failed, on top of the ridiculous amount of Selfdestructing AIs, my run took a huge hit.

THE NEW PLAN?
I now needed to train my new "main team", which I kinda did while cleaning up this post. Stabby, Hart, Lorie, Tamara, SNAAAAAAKE and Timmy. With Stabby back on my team, I went to Cerulean and gathered more things. The Bicycle, notably. I usually run Rock Tunnel on sheer muscle memory, but I didn't have the bike and that likely tripped me off. Could have half-avoided it with Flash, but eh... I don't like using it in the first place. I'm stubborn, and once again, this is why I fail.

Oh well. Back to leveling!

• SS Anne time!
  • Farmed the whole thing. Or almost. May have missed a trainer or two.
  • Faced Gary on the boat and won, hands down.
  • Reached the Captain...
  • ... with too many items in my inventory.
  • Went back to Cerulean, forgot to transfer items, went back to the boat, went back to Cerulean...
  • Anyways, got my hands on HM01, Cut!
  • Headed back towards Vermillion to get the next badge.
  • Completed the puzzle while triggering trainers. Exp!
  • Fought Lt. Surge and won the battle! It was pretty easy with a Nidoking...
  • Obtained the Thunderbadge and TM24 (Thunderbolt)!
  • Started roughly planning for Rock Tunnel.
  • Caught a level 15 Ekans on Route 9, named SNAAAAAAKE.
  • Reached the Pokémon Center before Rock Tunnel.
  • Entered Rock Tunnel!
  • Caught a level 17 Geodude, which I named Tamara.
  • Started the trek down...
  • Honestly wasn't doing bad at all.
  • ... Then I hit a Hiker with a Selfdestruct Geodude on his team. Lost Malik the Wartortle.
  • ... Lost Hilda the Mankey to another Hiker's Selfdestruct Geodude...
  • - ... And Omar the Drowzee, to Selfdestruct...
  • ... Also lost Demitrios the Nidoking to the same...
  • ... And Jackie, to a Selfdestruct Graveler...
  • Ran out of potions keeping my team afloat as I lost sense of direction.
  • And finally, lost Birb the Pidgeotto to a Machop.
  • In other words, I wiped in Rock Tunnel.
  • Respawned out on Route 9. Released all fainted Pokémon, put the new team in its place.
  • Went back to Cerulean and Vermillion to get bike and Super Potions.
  • Taught Dig to Tamara if need arises. Plus it's a really nice Ground attack.
  • Started training, and I'm not fully done yet as I type this post.

Moveset: Poison Sting, String Shot, Fury Attack, Cut

Lorie - Zubat (Poison/Flying)
Level: 8
Moveset: Leech Life

Tamara - Geodude (Rock/Ground)
Level: 24
Moveset: Tackle, Rock Throw, Defense Curl, Dig

SNAAAAAAKE - Ekans (Poison)
Level: 16
Moveset: Wrap, Leer, Poison Sting

Timmy - Oddish (Grass/Poison)
Level: 20
Moveset: Absorb, Poisonpowder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder

Hart - Fearow (Normal/Flying)
Level: 24
Moveset: Peck, Growl, Leer, Fury Attack

Last edited:

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
OUCH! Good luck with the new team. Tamara will resist Self Destruct, but would be weak to ground.

How do you get the big sprites again? I can't find the code for that.
Also that's not a Fearow on the last one...

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
That was a painful start to Rock Tunnel... good luck training up the new team! Hopefully the second round will go a lot more smoothly.

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
This was a brutal part. Sucks you lost a lot of members. At least you have some good mons left. Oddish had carried me through lock's before.

AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

What did I just read. I mean, FIVE Pokemon dying to Self-Destruct in ONE UPDATE?!?! That is just beyond brutal, even moreso considering this was before the DS era, where wiping cuts your money in half. You better hope you get some good catches up ahead! And you'll have to decide whether you want Eevee or a Game Corner Pokemon in Celadon...

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Holy crap I wasn't expecting responses this fast! Here we go!

@tacobowler : Thanks for catching that sprite mix-up! I use the Bulbapedia sprites actually, they just seem to work out for me. I'll also have to drop by your run, good luck!

@SkylarAlpha : It was, indeed, uber painful. But I have faith that my new team is going to make up for it, even though I'm pissed for losing my Nidoking (one of my Gen I favs) and my starter. ._.

@Zedark : Actually training this Oddish right now! Looking forward to have a Vileplume on my team; I've had one once but that was eons ago. That I recall it was pretty viable and sturdy (as long as it's not special-related... except Water), but I might be wrong XD. I like the rest of my team so far too.

@Pendraflare : A-yuuuuuuup. That's what I get for being lazy enough to not buy more supplies: I trigger everything I really, really shouldn't trigger, just to save myself. Oh well. It's not like I'm attached to my team or anything... cries, mourns team Not fully decided on what I'll do for Celadon. Usually I grab the Eevee and turn it into... whatever I'm missing, which is looking like a Vaporeon or a Jolteon.

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
After last week's virtual carnage, I had a better time with this update. Sit tight, it's still... something. The TLDR is subsequently long.

As I do have another gaming project I should really work on, I might not touch this much until the 22nd.

CHAPTER 4 - IT'S A HARD ROCK LIFE

As much as I complain about Karate Chop being typed Normal in Gen I, I gotta say this: it not being super effective on Rock-types is making Rock Tunnel attempt #2 easier. I can throw Tamara at Machop around, it barely dents her.

I also like having a Grass-type on my side. Timmy evolved into a Gloom after a trainer fight I apparently hadn't triggered yet, further solidifying him. I mean... he's been able to OHKO Rock-types, something Malik couldn't do - and Malik was overleveled for the area. Still, Timmy had to be watched; I had him out for a fight against a Machop, I believe, when my phone rang. I healed the wrong Pokémon, and Timmy lived with 3 HP.

ROUTE 8VOLUTIONS
I got two new evolutions on Route 8. First, Tamara evolved into a Graveler after getting rid of the first Gambler, and SNAAAAAAAAKE also evolved into a Arbok after a wild encounter. It took several attempt to get a valid catch, most of my encounters having been Machop or Pidgey. Enter Doggo the Growlithe! For recently having gone through LG Eevee with a Ninetails, I'm pretty good with having its exclusive counterpart.

FURTHER PLANTIN'
On reaching Celadon, I did a couple things. I stopped at the Pokémall to buy some Fresh Water and open up the paths to Saffron, then a Fire Stone for Doggo as well as a Leaf Stone for Timmy. Won't be using them yet though, as they definitely need a sturdier moveset before. Will likely come back for either a Water or Lightning Stone for an Eeveelution. Which one? I don't know yet. I'm considering the Nidorina or the Scyther from Game Corner - Scyther because of a nice Psychic resistance, and Nidorina in replacement of Nidoking. But I'm not sure... honestly, my plan for Sabrina is to catch a Snorlax and rip through it all with it.

I picked up the Coin Case from the dude in the restaurant, then went back outside to give the Fresh Water to the guard. Route 7 also looked like a good spot to grind for a bit, though I do think I ran out of valid encounters. I was kinda wrong though, as in the exp yield isn't very great. So I went back to Celadon itself, and started the whole Game Corner story.

I HEARD YOU LIKE GAME CORNERS
So we put a Game corner in your game corner so you can game in your corner while gaming in your corner! With rockets!

Or rather, Team Rocket. This area's just crawling with Rocket grunts, so a bunch of Rattata and Raticate, Koffing, Grimer, maybe an Ekans or two... and the scientists. Which was pretty much that, and some Drowzee as well. Wasn't too hard to knock most of them down. And that was with switching often, since I wanted to level up Doggo a bit.

I went through the floors with ease, path fresh from LG Eevee. Nothing to write a huge letter home. Got the Lift Key off the dude, beat the grunts guarding Giovanni's little fenced off area. Even he went down easily. Talking about him...

Giovanni
Onix: Giovanni used a Guard Spec. on it, then it used Rage. Timmy OHKOed it with Absorb.
Rhyhorn: It started with Horn Attack, but Timmy prevailed. It wasn't a OHKO, but it wasn't bad. Just took two Absorb hits.
Kangaskhan: It used Rage, but it's not very great against Tamara, especially when Dig makes Rage miss half of the time. Two Digs after, Kangaskhan went down.

Silph Scope in hand, I dug my way out of the Game Corner and healed at the Pokécenter.

By the time I realized I wanted to fight the Grass Gym, I was in Lavender Town.

Looks like I'm climbing the tower.

I HAVE FRIENDS WAITING FOR ME HERE...
With six deaths under my belt, I'm pretty sure my old team is resting here. Oh, and Gary. Gary was here.

Pokémon Trainer Gary
Pidgeotto: Tamara got lightly tickled by a Gust, a Quick Attack, and buried Pidgeotto under a pile of rocks, probably up to its head feathers. Gary used a Potion, which sucked because I only had Tackle selected. Pidgeotto used Sand-Attack, lowering Tamara's accuracy. Managed to KO it with Rock Slide despite that.
Gyarados: ... I should have grabbed the Eevee and evolved it into Jolteon, because I don't have anything really against it. I sent Hart, who took a nasty Hydro Pump right in his face. I swapped him for Timmy, who suffered a Dragon Rage. Not looking good here at all. Gyarados scored a crit Bite on Snaaaaaaake, then hit him with a Hydro Pump. Snaaaaake went down. SNAAAAAAAAKE NO! I then had the dumbest moment ever, whereas I sent Tamara out, hoping to get a Rock Throw in. Yup, Tamara's now dead, by Hydro Pump. I sent Stabby, but Hydro Pump connected, followed by Dragon Rage... x2, between Fury Attack and Cut. So I lost Stabby as well. I was saved by Hart and Fury Attack.
Kadabra: I healed Hart. Kadabra confused him with Confusion, while Fury Attack missed. After a self-hit and a failed Teleport from Kadabra, Fury Attack connected and took it down.
Ivysaur: Peck twice, a Vine Whip from Ivysaur, and I was finally released from this hell.

So this is why I usually take Jolteon... this stupid Gyarados. Killed 3 of my teammates, including my Graveler. Plus Jolteon has great speed. Ugh, I feel dumb. I really should've done that before, but well, having one afterwards is still one more Pokémon.

I was on the third floor when I realized I never caught a Pokémon in the tower, and Gengar would have been great on my team. Welp.

The climb on itself wasn't that bad, in all honesty. I still appreciate the healing floor before facing the Marowak. Comes in handy to be able to heal, especially with Gastly and Haunter just taking chunks of 20-something HP with Nightshade. The Rocket grunts on top were a little more annoying, with Poison types and whatnot.

I'm also happy to have a Jolteon. While it's definitely not the first time I've used one of these, they're pretty handy. The problem is that their Gen I native moveset is kinda limited, and it only learns Pin Missile at like... 52. I sent one against Sabrina in a regular playthrough and it absolutely wrecked her team. Much like another Pokémon I've used in a previous Nuzlocke, and I just cannot wait to have again: Snorlax. I'm planning on it, I just need to level up a bit more.

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
We have fun and Grass! And I have a couple Pokémon to gain levels on. Perfect place for Timmy to do his stuff. He doesn't have any Poison attacks bar Poisonpowder, but at least I have Cut. Current goal for him is to get him to 38, learn Petal Dance, and then I can have him evolve into a Vileplume. Got him to 27, Hart to 30, and Doggo's sitting at 24. I think I'm good to face Erika.

Celadon City Gym Leader Erika
Victreebell: Lowered its HP a bit with Timmy, as he's immune to the Poisonpowder spam, then I sent Hart to finish it off. It did use Wrap in-between, but Hart is pretty solid.
Tangela: Same deal. Well, at least I tried. I got hit by a few Binds and Constricts, before I switched to Hart again. Peck KOed it.
Vileplume: I used the same approach; I just really wanted to avoid the leader using Hyper Potion because it's annoying. Lowered just a tad under half HP with Cut, sent Hart out. Hart had to deal with a rather weak Petal Dance, thanks to his Flying typing, and KOed it on the next turn.

This let me get my hands on the Rainbowbadge! And the Mega Drain TM, which I'm likely to slap on Timmy.

Up next: Snorlax attempts, and more catches!

• Went back in Rock Tunnel. Better armed, this time.
  • That was a much, much faster attempt. No casualties were had!
  • Timmy evolved into a Gloom!
  • Finally reached Lavender Town, and took off for Route 8.
  • Tamara evolved into a Graveler!
  • SNAAAAAAKE evolved into an Arbok!
  • Took a bit, but I also have a new catch: a Growlithe named Doggo! They're good dogs, Brent!
  • Planned a bit before heading towards Celadon.
  • Once in Celadon, I hit the mall and bought a couple things, including Fresh Water from the roof.
  • Took the Fresh Water to the guard on Route 8, to open up the way to Saffron.
  • Also picked up the Coin Case.
  • Started the whole Game Corner deal by beating up the Rocket grunt in front of the poster.
  • Powered through the mazes.
  • Obtained the LIft Key from one of the grunts.
  • Used the LIft Key to, well, open up the lift.
  • Beaten more grunts on my way to Giovanny.
  • Including his two guards.
  • Also kicked Giovanni's behind. Easy-peasy fight.
  • Got the Silph Scope, and exited the Game Corner-slash-Rocket hideout.
  • Moved back to Lavender Town to clear out the tower.
  • I knew I had to face Gary in there...
  • ... But I forgot about the Gyarados.
  • Gyarados wipes not one, not two, but three of my teammates.
  • First off, SNAAAAAAKE the Arbok gets KOed because of Hydro Pump.
  • I then proceed to the SMARTEST MOVE IN HISTORY!...
  • ... and I send Tamara. A Graveler.
  • Reasoning: Gyarados is part Flying, I have a Rock-type with Rock Throw...
  • You can guess what happened next. In a move everyone saw coming but me, Gyarados uses Hydro Pump and KOs Tamara.
  • I am an idiot. I mean I knew that beforehand, but this is another level. I might as well poke fun at it.
  • I send Stabby, almost expecting to wipe at this point.
  • Stabby gets stabbed back, and gets KOed. Dragon Rage is the culprit.
  • I take out Gyarados with Hart's Fury Attack. W H E W.
  • Kadabra goes down, then Pidgeotto, and I finally won over Gary.
  • Screw you Gary.
  • Time to rebuild the team a bit...
  • I go back to Celadon and pick up the Eevee - Anja.
  • That Thunderstone I bought gets used. Anja is now a Jolteon. I'm not letting Gyarados get away with this.
  • I also add Lorie to my team, before going up the Tower.
  • Goes pretty well all-around, except I realize about halfway that I've gotten no catch from it.
  • Hart also deals with the Marowak, typing given.
  • The Rocket Grunts get their butts kicked; Mr. Fuji is now safe and sound.
  • I get plot-ported out, and into Mr. Fuji's house, where I receive the Pokéflute.
  • I can now wake up Snorlax, but they're beastly and I'm not sure I'm suited for them just yet. Instead, I go back to Celadon. Again.
  • I opt to defeat the trainers in the Gym before facing Erika.
  • Very easy fight, with Hart and Timmy pitching in. Rainbowbadge get! And the Mega Drain TM.

Timmy - Gloom (Grass/Poison)
Level: 28
Moveset: Absorb, Acid, Stun Spore, Cut

Hart - Fearow (Normal/Flying)
Level: 30
Moveset: Peck, Mirror Move, Leer, Fury Attack

Anja - Jolteon (Electric)
Level: 26
Moveset: Tackle, Sand Attack, Thunderbolt

Doggo - Growlithe (Fire)
Level: 26
Moveset: Bite, Roar, Ember, Leer

Level: 17
Moveset: Leech Life, Supersonic, Bite

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
You're not having a lot of luck lately. Sucks you lost another three team members. But it does make me feel better about losing my Nidoking to the same Gyarados. Doggo should be a good addition to the team. if you can find a good fire TM, I think a lot of the level up movesets aren't so good in gen 1. Good luck going forward!

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
First off, apologies for pretty much disappearing mid-run. The usual mix of real life/depression/anxiety kinda hit at the same time, but things are calming down. I also hit a nasty bout on this run, making things rather annoying, and I may have had a couple new games as well somewhere between all of this.

Anyways, I'm now back, and I've made actual progress! More on that in the update itself.

CHAPTER 5 - BACK FROM A KOG-HIATUS

The beginning of this update was written in Early March, and I'm not feeling like rewriting it all. Tone changes about two-thirds into.

First things first: Snorlax.

I started with Hart - my only level 30 - and started spamming Leer. It's still on my moveset, I might as well use it. Eventually, Hart ate a crit Headbutt - 70 HP damage. Fury Attack brought Snorlax down to about 2/3rds, and then Peck KOed it. Whoops. Did not wanna KO it... oh well. There's another Snorlax for a bit later. Hope is not lost.

Cycling Road gave me a Raticate as a first encounter. Which I also KOed. I'm starting to think Hart might do the job against Sabrina. Because huh, it's not Timmy who's gonna get that job - Timmy got KOed to... Selfdestruct. Timmy was not the only Selfdestruct-related death:

I lost Hart immediately after.

Screw you, Selfdestruct.

A CRIT Selfdestruct on top of that.

The death toll continues with Doggo, to a crit Hyper Fang.

At this point, I had two Pokémon left: Anja the Jolteon, and Lorie the Zubat. Might as well say one Pokémon left. I did manage to get a Doduo, Harvey, before calling it a session.

I came back and got Anja to 32, got the Fly HM, which I taught to Harvey, and flew out to Fuschia. I decided against going to the Safari Zone right now, and went onto Route 15, then 13. A pit stop on Route 13 led to a Ditto encounter, as well as a successful catch! Morfintime (AKA Morph) joins the party! I picked up the Super Rod on Route 12... and then huh... crap went down. In the form of several Voltorbs. Sacrificed Harvey and Morph to keep Anja, which means the death toll to Selfdestruct has risen to NINE.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I've lost nine Pokémon to the same stupid move because Gen I is terrible with that.

Further up north, my dreams of having a Snorlax were shot by a crit Thunderbolt. Well this run's pretty bad. So back to Fuschia I go.

ZONE OF THE SAFARI
Here, I'm going to treat this as one big zone, kinda like a house with multiple floors. First encounter in the hub, Rhyhorn! YES! Named him Udon. Hopefully he'll live long enough to stop more Selfdestructs, meaning I gotta level him up. I somehow managed to not pick up too many items, and after getting lost and going back in, I got my hands on HM03, Surf.

Equipped with the Super Rod, I went down to Route 19 and caught myself a Horsea, Mystery.

And this is where remembered I forgot the Gold Teeth from the Safari Zone.

~

SO WHAT HAPPENED?
When I hit that point, I thought I was due for a break. Originally, I was gonna be gone for a week or two, nothing really worth mentioning except in passing. Except, as I said earlier, a combo of absolutely everything dropped on me, so I turned to other, less frustrating games to compensate the lack of enthusiasm I had after losing most of my active team on this run. I wasn't gonna ruin my Nuzlocke by playing in a mindset I wasn't comfortable with playing, so I shelved it while I recouped.

Over early April, I had a few, short grind sessions, feeling I wasn't going anywhere. But I didn't wanna can the run, and didn't have a lot of things to report anyways, so there were no actual updates either. It was slow, but better slow progress than no progress. I didn't wanna burn out.

Around mid-April, I had reached a point where I needed a break from work, and after much fuss, they agreed on giving me 2 weeks off off. I didn't consider them holidays per se. My mother came to visit, I focused on things I should have done years ago, revamped my apartment, built a new computer desk; really took care of myself, honestly.

With my mother now gone back in our hometown, feeling much more chill, I figured I was ready to invest time in this Generationlocke. And so I'm back.

~

BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING
In regards to this run as a whole, my team's faring better. Udon is 39, Lorie 18, while Anja and Mystery are both 38. The slow grind paid off. I also nabbed TM26 (Earthquake) from Silph Co. in Saffron, therefore adding a much more viable move to my "okay" pool. I slapped it right on Udon, who's made good use of it already. I also fought some Rocket grunts and Scientists up in Silph Co., notably on Udon, who needed a boost for Koga. So I got him to 38, felt sturdy, and took back south to Fuschia.

I fought most of the Gym for extra exp; Udon hit 39 after Koga's first Koffing.

Fuchsia City Gym Leader Koga
Koffing: Earthquake.
Muk: Used Poison Gas, which didn't affect Udon. I retaliated with Earthquake, leaving Muk at two pixels of HP. KOed with Horn Attack.
Koffing: The second one. I used Horn Attack, at first wondering why I didn't OHKO with Earthquake... but I'm choosing to put it against a potential heal. And another KO by Earthquake!
Weezing: 43?! Oh boy. It used Toxic, and I ended up a badly poisoned Udon. No matter though. Earthquake dropped it to about a third of its life bar. Weezing used Sludge... and Earthquake chose its time to crit. But it's all good: this was Koga's last Pokémon!

Finally feeling I'm progressing through this again. I got the Soulbadge, TM06 (Toxic) and the Arceus-given right to Surf outside of battle. If you're curious, Udon lost 15 HP during this fight.

And I was worried!

Next goal: get a couple more catches, reach Cinnabar, grind at the Mansion and eventually beat Blaine.

• Wanted to get a Snorlax. Two possible attempts.
  • Attempt #1 failed due to too many Fury Attacks. I should've seen it coming.
  • KOed a Raticate on Cycling Road. No luck.
  • Lost Timmy to a Self-destruct...
  • Lost Hart to another Self-destruct immediately after...
  • Lost Doggo to a crit Hyper Fang...
  • But caught a Doduo, Harvey, on Route 18.
  • Also caught a Ditto, Morfintime, on Route 13.
  • Picked up the Super Rod on Route 12.
  • Lost Morfintime to another. Freaking. Self. Destruct.
  • Lost Harvey to ANOTHER. FREAKING. SELF. DESTRUST.
  • That's NINE Pokémon down to Self-destruct.
  • NINE. I MEAN, C'MON, GEN I.
  • Snorlax attempt #2... also failed. Thanks, crit Thunderbolt.
  • Two Pokémon left, but I refuse to give up. It's not over till it's over.
  • Used the Super Rod on Route 19: caught a Horsea, Mystery!
  • Went to the Safari Zone in order to catch something, grab HM03 Surf, and the Gold Teeth.
  • Caught Udon the Rhyhorn!
  • Came back with two out of three items; I was missing the Gold Teeth.
  • Took a two-months break to focus on other, more pressing matters, and less frustrating games.
  • I still did grind every now and then, but in short sessions.
  • Mystery evolved into a Seadra!
  • Grind paid off! After the break, I went back to Saffron and grabbed TM26, Earthquake.
  • Fought some Rocket grunts/Scientists there as well.
  • Made it back to Fuchsia and KOed the Gym, save for one dude I forgot.
  • Fought Koga, and won, easily at that.
  • Obtained the Soulbadge, and TM06 Toxic, plus the ability to Surf on the field.

Udon - Rhyhorn (Ground/Rock)
Level: 39
Moveset: Horn Attack, Stomp, Strength, Earthquake

Level: 18
Moveset: Leech Life, Supersonic, Bite

Anja - Jolteon (Electric)
Level: 38
Moveset: Tackle, Sand Attack, Thunderbolt

Mystery - Seadra (Water)
Level: 38
Moveset: Water Gun, Surf, Smokescreen, Leer

Last edited:

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
My goodness your luck stinks! But I'm glad you're in a better mental space. And I envy you for being able to use Seadra, I've always wanted to use one!

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
Unlucky once again. You do not have great luck with those self destructs? Did this not happen in a previous one of your parts with the self destruct? Anyway I'm glad you're back/ready to continue.