Animation vs Pokemon (SoulSilver) Challenge (Checkpoint: Falkner)

How should I document this run?

• Exposition with screenshots

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Bullet list without screenshots

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Hey there, folks. Welcome to yet another one of my challenges. Unlike most of my challenges which are string sextet-themed, this one is based on this video titled Animation vs Pokemon by Alan Becker. It's about the adventure of an orange stick figure (a.k.a. The Second Coming / TSC) in Johto courtesy of the animator connecting his NDS to his laptop with Pokemon HeartGold on. Here's the full video:
Okay, I know that Alan used HeartGold in his video, but I'll be using SoulSilver instead (hence the title). The rule is quite simple: I am to play SoulSilver with the same squad as The Second Coming's (excluding HM buddies) :
  • Feraligatr line :totodile::croconaw::feraligatr:
  • Pidgeot line :pidgey::pidgeotto::pidgeot:
  • Ampharos line :mareep::flaaffy::ampharos:
  • Heracross :heracross:
  • Magcargo line :slugma::magcargo:
  • Bellossom line :oddish::gloom::bellossom: (no Vileplume :vileplume:)
Since one of them is pretty hard to evolve prior to the Kanto arc, I'll stretch my playthrough all the way to Red (no, not the red stick figure). Also, I might catch additional Pokemon as either trophies (like shinies and legendaries) or HM buddies.

Btw, I have a question for y'all: regarding my writing style, how should I record this run?
I'll keep the poll open for about a month or so. Regardless of your choices, enjoy. :happyazurill:

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Okay, before we get started, let me tell you all about some stuffs regarding this playthrough:
  • My Alpha Sapphire run uses screenshots of things that happen mostly in the daytime and my Ultra Sun run uses those depending on the storytelling (defaulting to daytime if no specific time is mentioned). Unlike those though, the screenshots here will be at a random timing. So please don't be surprised if some consecutive screenshots may hop from daytime to nighttime to morning to dusk etc.
  • I don't have any nicknaming themes this time, just going random. And the colors used for those nicknames will be gender-based (boy, girl, neither).
And now that you people asked for it, I'll start the story, ORAS String Hexalocke-style. :thisisfineazurill:

His name is Orange (as in TSC's color as a stick figure). He started his adventure from New Bark Town just like any protagonists from Johto-based games. (am I the only one who love to break the 4th wall?)

He read a random letter from his neighbor, Lyra, then went downstairs to get his stuffs from his mom. She also told him that Lyra and her :marill: had been waiting for him outside and that Professor Elm had been looking for him too. He went to the professor's lab to find out that he wanted to give him a Pokemon. Plus, a friend of the professor's, Mr. Pokemon, wanted to give him something to be examined ASAP but he couldn't get out from the lab, so Orange was basically an errand boy in this case. Either way, the boy went ahead and chose...

This little crocodile is a boy, so Orange named him Crocs :totodile:. He then introduced Crocs :totodile: to his mom and went to Mr. Pokemon's house via Cherrygrove City. And as expected, Mr. Pokemon's there who revealed that the "something to be examined ASAP" turned out to be a mystery egg :pokemonegg:.

And then there's Professor Oak who happened to be there. He gave Orange a Pokedex for whatever reasons and left for his usual radio show. That being done, Orange went back to the lab, albeit a little bit rushing due to Professor Elm's SOS call out of the blue. He then bumped into a red-haired boy who immediately challenged him to a battle.

Passerby boy | Orange
:chikorita: | Crocs :totodile:
  • Scratch | Rage
  • Scratch | Rage
  • Scratch | Rage
  • Scratch | Rage
  • Growl (:faintedazurill:) | Rage
Somehow Orange recognized the :chikorita: he had fought as the very same one at Professor Elm's lab. "Could it be... theft? And was he the thief?" he thought as he read the redhead boy's trainer card. He actually kept that in mind until he arrived at the lab. Just when the local police investigating the matter accused Orange for being the thief, he and Lyra convinced the policeman that he got it wrong because Lyra saw the red-haired boy whom Orange had battled earlier. Plus, Orange saw TDL as the name written at the redhead's trainer card, so that's it.

As Lyra and the policeman left, Orange gave Professor Elm the mystery egg :pokemonegg: from Mr. Pokemon. The boy then left to start his journey for real. Using the Pokeballs Lyra gave him, he caught Bird Jesus :pidgey: at Route 29 and went past Mr. Pokemon's house all the way to Violet City.

At Violet City Pokecenter, there's this man named Primo from The Show Me Show who gave Orange :slugma: and :mareep: eggs. The boy then went to the local gym but it's closed at the moment, so he went to Sprout Tower instead. He trained there with the help of the sages, eventually reaching Elder Li. Not without bumping into TDL, though.

Elder Li | Orange
:bellsprout: (1st) | Crocs :totodile:
  • Vine Whip | Rage
  • Growth | Rage
  • Vine Whip | Rage
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Rage
:bellsprout: (2nd) | Bird Jesus :pidgey:
  • Vine Whip | Gust
  • Vine Whip | Potion to Crocs :totodile:
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Gust
:hoothoot: | Crocs :totodile:
  • Growl | Water Gun
  • Peck | Scratch
  • Peck | Scratch
  • Peck | Scratch
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Scratch
Now that they're done, Orange immediately perked up both Crocs :totodile: and Bird Jesus :pidgey: at the Pokecenter before tackling the local gym led by Falkner.

Since this was his first gym, the boy was naturally quite nervous, especially with the flying-type gym's design. It is basically two-floors building with the second one being real high. Good thing Orange doesn't have acrophobia, otherwise reaching Falkner alone would've been a real nightmare for the rest of his life.

Falkner | Orange
:pidgey: | Bird Jesus :pidgey:
  • Tackle | Gust
  • Sand-Attack (missed) | Tackle
  • Sand-Attack (missed) | Tackle (missed)
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Tackle
:pidgeotto: | Crocs :totodile:
  • Gust | Rage
  • Roost | Rage
  • Roost | Rage
  • Roost | Water Gun
  • Roost | Bite
  • Roost | Water Gun
  • Roost | Scratch
  • Roost | Scratch (critical hit)
  • Roost | Scratch
  • Gust | Scratch
  • Gust | Potion to Crocs :totodile:
  • Roost | Rage
  • Gust | Rage
  • Gust | Rage
  • Roost | Rage
  • Gust | Rage
  • Gust | Rage
  • Gust (:faintedazurill:) | Rage (critical hit)
Falkner finally admitted defeat by giving Orange the Zephyr Badge and TM Roost. He also suggested Azalea Town for the next destination. And so Orange did, but not without accepting the egg from Professor Elm's aide at the nearby Pokemart. He actually had nothing to do with the third egg though, so off to the PC it went. That being done, the boy made his way to Azalea Town.
:totodile: Crocs (Boy)
Level: 13
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Timid
Moves: Scratch, Bite, Water Gun, Rage

:pidgey: Bird Jesus (Boy)
Level: 13
Ability: Keen Eye
Nature: Docile
Moves: Tackle, Sand-Attack, Gust, Quick Attack

:pokemonegg: Eggy #1 from Primo (Unknown)
Level: ???
Ability: ???
Nature: ???
Moves: ???

:pokemonegg: Eggy #2 from Primo (Unknown)
Level: ???
Ability: ???
Nature: ???
Moves: ???
  • The rival's name (TDL) comes from The Dark Lord a.k.a. the hero-turned-villain from Animator vs Animation III and the main villain from Animator vs Animation Shorts.
  • I'm very sorry, dear Christian and Catholic people out there. The :pidgey:'s name comes from how the people at Twitch Plays Pokemon named their :pidgey: line, so please blame TPP should it be a big deal for you in the first place.
  • Roost can be either useful or annoying depending on which side you're on. In my case, it's the latter. Why? Because Falkner's :pidgeotto: loved to use it as soon as it took some damage (even if its HP still ended up in the "green range"). It sure tested my patience big time because I had to wait for the :pidgeotto: to run out of its Roost and for Crocs :totodile:'s Rage to build up. Still worth it tho. :upsidedownazurill: