Animation vs Pokemon (SoulSilver) Challenge (Checkpoint: Whitney)

How should I document this run?

• Exposition with screenshots

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Bullet list without screenshots

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Hey there, folks. Welcome to yet another one of my challenges. Unlike most of my challenges which are string sextet-themed, this one is based on this video titled Animation vs Pokemon by Alan Becker. It's about the adventure of an orange stick figure (a.k.a. The Second Coming / TSC) in Johto courtesy of the animator connecting his NDS to his laptop with Pokemon HeartGold on. Here's the full video:
Okay, I know that Alan used HeartGold in his video, but I'll be using SoulSilver instead (hence the title). The rule is quite simple: I am to play SoulSilver with the same squad as The Second Coming's (excluding HM buddies) :
  • Feraligatr line :totodile::croconaw::feraligatr:
  • Pidgeot line :pidgey::pidgeotto::pidgeot:
  • Ampharos line :mareep::flaaffy::ampharos:
  • Heracross :heracross:
  • Magcargo line :slugma::magcargo:
  • Bellossom line :oddish::gloom::bellossom: (no Vileplume :vileplume:)
Since one of them is pretty hard to evolve prior to the Kanto arc, I'll stretch my playthrough all the way to Red (no, not the red stick figure). Also, I might catch additional Pokemon as either trophies (like shinies and legendaries) or HM buddies.

Btw, I have a question for y'all: regarding my writing style, how should I record this run?
I'll keep the poll open for about a month or so. Regardless of your choices, enjoy. :happyazurill:

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Okay, before we get started, let me tell you all about some stuffs regarding this playthrough:
  • My Alpha Sapphire run uses screenshots of things that happen mostly in the daytime and my Ultra Sun run uses those depending on the storytelling (defaulting to daytime if no specific time is mentioned). Unlike those though, the screenshots here will be at a random timing. So please don't be surprised if some consecutive screenshots may hop from daytime to nighttime to morning to dusk etc.
  • I don't have any nicknaming themes this time, just going random. And the colors used for those nicknames will be gender-based (boy, girl, neither).
And now that you people asked for it, I'll start the story, ORAS String Hexalocke-style. :thisisfineazurill:

His name is Orange (as in TSC's color as a stick figure). He started his adventure from New Bark Town just like any protagonists from Johto-based games. (am I the only one who love to break the 4th wall?)

He read a random letter from his neighbor, Lyra, then went downstairs to get his stuffs from his mom. She also told him that Lyra and her :marill: had been waiting for him outside and that Professor Elm had been looking for him too. He went to the professor's lab to find out that he wanted to give him a Pokemon. Plus, a friend of the professor's, Mr. Pokemon, wanted to give him something to be examined ASAP but he couldn't get out from the lab, so Orange was basically an errand boy in this case. Either way, the boy went ahead and chose...

This little crocodile is a boy, so Orange named him Crocs :totodile:. He then introduced Crocs :totodile: to his mom and went to Mr. Pokemon's house via Cherrygrove City. And as expected, Mr. Pokemon's there who revealed that the "something to be examined ASAP" turned out to be a mystery egg :pokemonegg:.

And then there's Professor Oak who happened to be there. He gave Orange a Pokedex for whatever reasons and left for his usual radio show. That being done, Orange went back to the lab, albeit a little bit rushing due to Professor Elm's SOS call out of the blue. He then bumped into a red-haired boy who immediately challenged him to a battle.

Passerby boy | Orange
:chikorita: | Crocs :totodile:
  • Scratch | Rage
  • Scratch | Rage
  • Scratch | Rage
  • Scratch | Rage
  • Growl (:faintedazurill:) | Rage
Somehow Orange recognized the :chikorita: he had fought as the very same one at Professor Elm's lab. "Could it be... theft? And was he the thief?" he thought as he read the redhead boy's trainer card. He actually kept that in mind until he arrived at the lab. Just when the local police investigating the matter accused Orange for being the thief, he and Lyra convinced the policeman that he got it wrong because Lyra saw the red-haired boy whom Orange had battled earlier. Plus, Orange saw TDL as the name written at the redhead's trainer card, so that's it.

As Lyra and the policeman left, Orange gave Professor Elm the mystery egg :pokemonegg: from Mr. Pokemon. The boy then left to start his journey for real. Using the Pokeballs Lyra gave him, he caught Bird Jesus :pidgey: at Route 29 and went past Mr. Pokemon's house all the way to Violet City.

At Violet City Pokecenter, there's this man named Primo from The Show Me Show who gave Orange :slugma: and :mareep: eggs. The boy then went to the local gym but it's closed at the moment, so he went to Sprout Tower instead. He trained there with the help of the sages, eventually reaching Elder Li. Not without bumping into TDL, though.

Elder Li | Orange
:bellsprout: (1st) | Crocs :totodile:
  • Vine Whip | Rage
  • Growth | Rage
  • Vine Whip | Rage
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Rage
:bellsprout: (2nd) | Bird Jesus :pidgey:
  • Vine Whip | Gust
  • Vine Whip | Potion to Crocs :totodile:
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Gust
:hoothoot: | Crocs :totodile:
  • Growl | Water Gun
  • Peck | Scratch
  • Peck | Scratch
  • Peck | Scratch
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Scratch
Now that they're done, Orange immediately perked up both Crocs :totodile: and Bird Jesus :pidgey: at the Pokecenter before tackling the local gym led by Falkner.

Since this was his first gym, the boy was naturally quite nervous, especially with the flying-type gym's design. It is basically two-floors building with the second one being real high. Good thing Orange doesn't have acrophobia, otherwise reaching Falkner alone would've been a real nightmare for the rest of his life.

Falkner | Orange
:pidgey: | Bird Jesus :pidgey:
  • Tackle | Gust
  • Sand-Attack (missed) | Tackle
  • Sand-Attack (missed) | Tackle (missed)
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Tackle
:pidgeotto: | Crocs :totodile:
  • Gust | Rage
  • Roost | Rage
  • Roost | Rage
  • Roost | Water Gun
  • Roost | Bite
  • Roost | Water Gun
  • Roost | Scratch
  • Roost | Scratch (critical hit)
  • Roost | Scratch
  • Gust | Scratch
  • Gust | Potion to Crocs :totodile:
  • Roost | Rage
  • Gust | Rage
  • Gust | Rage
  • Roost | Rage
  • Gust | Rage
  • Gust | Rage
  • Gust (:faintedazurill:) | Rage (critical hit)
Falkner finally admitted defeat by giving Orange the Zephyr Badge and TM Roost. He also suggested Azalea Town for the next destination. And so Orange did, but not without accepting the egg from Professor Elm's aide at the nearby Pokemart. He actually had nothing to do with the third egg though, so off to the PC it went. That being done, the boy made his way to Azalea Town.
:totodile: Crocs (Boy)
Level: 13
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Timid
Moves: Scratch, Bite, Water Gun, Rage

:pidgey: Bird Jesus (Boy)
Level: 13
Ability: Keen Eye
Nature: Docile
Moves: Tackle, Sand-Attack, Gust, Quick Attack

:pokemonegg: Eggy #1 from Primo (Unknown)
Level: ???
Ability: ???
Nature: ???
Moves: ???

:pokemonegg: Eggy #2 from Primo (Unknown)
  • The rival's name (TDL) comes from The Dark Lord a.k.a. the hero-turned-villain from Animator vs Animation III and the main villain from Animator vs Animation Shorts.
  • I'm very sorry, dear Christian and Catholic people out there. The :pidgey:'s name comes from how the people at Twitch Plays Pokemon named their :pidgey: line, so please blame TPP should it be a big deal for you in the first place.
  • Roost can be either useful or annoying depending on which side you're on. In my case, it's the latter. Why? Because Falkner's :pidgeotto: loved to use it as soon as it took some damage (even if its HP still ended up in the "green range"). It sure tested my patience big time because I had to wait for the :pidgeotto: to run out of its Roost and for Crocs :totodile:'s Rage to build up. Still worth it tho. :upsidedownazurill:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Bugsy arc here~ :whistleazurill:
Okay, I did say that Orange made his way to Azalea Town. However, he did a little sidetracking to Route 36 where a random guy gave him HM Rock Smash. That, and not to mention the weird tree blocking the way, hence Orange having no other choice but to go south from Violet City.

Since neither Bird Jesus :pidgey: nor Crocs :totodile: can learn Rock Smash, Orange caught a female :rattata: for that very purpose. He didn't feel like nicknaming her, though. The boy also caught a male, unnicknamed :wooper: and went through the Union Cave on his way to Azalea. And when he finally got out from the cave, Crocs :totodile: gotten overjoyed because it's raining outside.

A little bit later, Orange saw an old man with a random guy in black. The latter claimed himself as Team Rocket. He knocked the old man just enough for him to get outta there, then stayed to "guard" a nearby well.

Orange decided to ask the locals around and he found out that the local :slowpoke: were gone for whatever reasons. Also, the old man from before was revealed to be Kurt, the Pokeball expert. He then went to Kurt's house to get the full story of whatever happened. He told him that the Team Rocket baddies from before kidnapped the local :slowpoke: because they wanted to cut the :slowpoke:'s tails and sell them. Kurt then rushed to the Slowpoke Well with Orange catching up to him. And by the time the boy got into the well, Kurt sat there with his back aching. The old man then told him to go ahead.

Orange then proceeded to beat the hell out of Team Rocket, eventually leading him to one of its executives, Proton.

Proton | Orange
:zubat: | Crocs :totodile:
  • Leech Life | Scratch
  • Leech Life | Scratch
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Scratch
:koffing: | Bird Jesus :pidgey:
  • Smog | Gust
  • Smog | Tackle
  • Poison Gas (missed) | Quick Attack
The baddies skedaddled upon Proton's defeat, and so did the ones chasing them. As a thanks, Kurt gave Orange a Fast Ball, one of his apricorn-based Pokeballs. He then opened up his workshop as the boy made his way to Azalea's gym.

The gym's design here basically revolves around spiders, especially with all those :spinarak:-shaped karts. Since this is a bug-type gym, it should be more than enough to deter entomophobes and arachnophobes from coming there in the first place. Not for Orange though, for he managed to evolve Bird Jesus :pidgey: into :pidgeotto: with the help of the trainers there.

The first evolution sure had boosted Orange's spirit to fight the gym leader, Bugsy.

Bugsy | Orange
:scyther: | Bird Jesus :pidgeotto:
  • Focus Energy | Gust
  • Leer (ate the Sitrus Berry) | Gust
  • Quick Attack | Gust
  • Quick Attack (:faintedazurill:) | Gust
:metapod: | Crocs :totodile:
  • Tackle | Rage
  • Tackle | Rage
  • Tackle | Rage
  • Tackle | Rage
  • Super Potion to :metapod: | Rage (critical hit)
:kakuna: | Crocs :totodile:
  • Poison Sting | Rage
  • Poison Sting | Rage
Orange managed to get the Hive Badge and TM U-turn from Bugsy for the former's victory. Crocs :totodile: also celebrated it by evolving into :croconaw:.

Just when Orange was going to enter Ilex Forest, TDL butted in, rudely asking about Team Rocket's return. It seems like he's in for a surprise upon learning that Orange had already taken care of the ones at the Slowpoke Well, hence TDL's desire to battle him.

TDL | Orange
:gastly: | Crocs :croconaw:
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Bite
:bayleef: | Bird Jesus :pidgeotto:
  • Razor Leaf | Gust
  • Poison Powder (missed) | Gust
:zubat: | Crocs :croconaw:
  • Supersonic (missed) | Rage
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Water Gun (critical hit)
Now that TDL's out of the way, Orange can finally continue his journey for real.
:croconaw: Crocs (Boy)
Level: 18

:pidgeotto: Bird Jesus (Boy)
Level: 19

:pokemonegg: Eggy #1 from Primo (Unknown)

:pokemonegg: Eggy #2 from Primo (Unknown)
So we have three major battles in this part: Proton's first battle, Bugsy's gym battle, and rival's (in my case, TDL's) second battle. Both Crocs :croconaw: and Bird Jesus :pidgeotto: did too well for carrying me through those battles. Crocs :croconaw: managed to take both Proton's and TDL's :zubat: down, spam Rage against Bugsy's cocoons, and OHKO TDL's :gastly: with a single Bite. And Bird Jesus :pidgeotto: too, breezed through Proton's :koffing:, Bugsy's :scyther:, and TDL's :bayleef:. All of them were done before any of the eggs hatched (read: before I got more backups).

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Ah, bane of HGSS players... 😅
Inside Ilex Forest, Orange found an apprentice of Azalea's Charcoal Man who's quite in a pickle. He couldn't find his boss' two :farfetchd: who wandered off when they're supposed to cut down trees and gotten lost somehow. The boy immediately stepped up to help him. However, one of the eggs he's been carrying was hatched.

Again, Orange got a boy, this time in the form of a :slugma: whom he named Maxie. He then proceeded to chase those two :farfetchd: and catch them from behind. Once he got both, the Charcoal Man himself came. He gave him HM Cut as thanks for finding both of his :farfetchd:. The boy then did more stuffs: caught Blossom the :oddish:, taught his :rattata: how to headbutt, went back to Azalea to grab Hera the :heracross:, hatched the second egg (Wooloo the :mareep:), trained all of the newcomers, helped a Kimono Girl navigating through the forest, and managed to get out from there to the other side.

From there, he walked all the way to the north until he reached Goldenrod City. Not without Lyra introducing him to the Day-Care couple and Wooloo :mareep: evolving into :flaaffy:, though.

As soon as he arrived at Goldenrod, he went to the nearby bike shop in which the owner lamented about his bike sales declining. He then had Orange to go around the city promoting his bikes. The boy accepted, of course, since he's already tired of walking everywhere and this could be an opportunity of getting a free bike. He also renamed Wooloo :flaaffy: to Ampere :flaaffy: for whatever reasons.

Orange then went to the city's gym only to find out that its leader, Whitney, was going out. He later found her in the Radio Tower trying to do a quiz campaign hosted there.

So he did the quiz and got everything correct, much to Whitney's surprise. His reward? A Radio Card for his Pokegear. Whitney then rushed to her gym with Orange following her.

Much to his surprise, this gym is full of ladies. He got fazed by this sight like any normal boys would, but the enthusiastic Hera :heracross: went like "Pull yourself together, dude." Thanks to her, he managed to reach Whitney without any more awkwardness.

Whitney | Orange
:clefairy: | Hera :heracross:
  • - (:faintedazurill:) | Brick Break
:miltank: | Hera :heracross:
  • Stomp | Brick Break
  • Stomp (:faintedazurill:) | Brick Break
Unlike Falkner and Bugsy earlier, Whitney threw a tantrum upon her defeat. Even the challenger didn't see this coming.

Seeing whatever happened over there, a nearby trainer reassured Orange that Whitney is usually like this anyway. She also told him that the gym leader would cool down after the tantrum. And yes, she did. Whitney actually gave him the Plain Badge and TM Attract as soon as she pulled herself together. That, and she also told him about the Pokeathlon Dome and suggested him to try it out. Orange then got out to the nearby flower shop to get a SquirtBottle before moving on.
:croconaw: Crocs (Boy)

:pidgeotto: Bird Jesus (Boy)

:heracross: Hera (Girl)
Ability: Guts
Nature: Sassy
Moves: Tackle, Aerial Ace, Horn Attack, Brick Break

:slugma: Maxie (Boy)
Level: 16
Ability: Magma Armor
Moves: Yawn, Smog, Ember, Rock Throw

:flaaffy: Ampere (Boy)
Level: 17
Ability: Static
Nature: Hardy
Moves: Tackle, Growl, Thunder Shock, Thunder Wave

:oddish: Blossom (Girl)
Level: 16
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Jolly
Moves: Absorb, Stun Spore, Acid, Poison Powder
Aight folks, I got my remaining 4 teammates here in this chapter. To be frank though, I don't want to have an all-boys team (especially since the :slugma: and :mareep: from the eggs are both males), so I had to hunt for female :oddish: and :heracross:. It surprisingly proves instrumental to Whitney's defeat because tl;dr Hera :heracross: soloed her big time. And since I ended up repeating what @Kaori once did to Whitney in her Soul Silver Nuzlocke-Scramble run, this sure reminds me about what I said there back then:
Okay, people could say Whitney is so dang hard, but you proved otherwise with the right strategy: a female fighter or two who can outspeed her squad and ruin their attraction-related stuffs (Clefairy's Cute Charm and Miltank's Attract). LGBTQ+ isn't a thing in Pokemon world, y'see. :winkazurill:
Also, please excuse my indecisiveness regarding my :mareep:/:flaaffy:'s nickname. :mareep: kinda reminds me of Wooloo at first (with all those Sword and Shield hype), but later thought that it would be a weird name for an :ampharos:. Plus, the base unit of electric current is called ampere from which the new name is taken, hence the name change. Good job, me. 😅