Apple AirPods: To Buy or Not to Buy?

Vigilance

The Devil Himself
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

So these bad boys will run you $159 (or more) but A LOT of people seem to have them as of late. I, myself, am considering buying some and am debating whether to buy them outright, buy them with a new iPhone or not buy them at all and buy some beats?

Do you have them? Do you like them? If you don't have them, what's stopping you from buying them cause hot damn do they look sleek as heck.

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
I agree I see them everywhere nowadays. I have them and they're fine. They have good sound quality, sync easily and don't fall out.

Last edited:

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
IMO, don't.

You can get a regular bluetooth pair of headphones for much cheaper than the airpods would run you with arguably better sound quality, depending on the quality you're look for. In fact, I'd argue that you can get superior quality bluetooth headphones at around the $100 mark that would work just fine with iPhones that would give you a much better experience than the EarPods would.

Really, the airpods are just a truly wireless version of their traditional corded headphones, except jacked up to literally three times the price. Their corded headphones price at about $30-45 (somewhere in between, I think?) depending on where you shop (I'm looking at Target's website right now and they're about $30 or so). So unless you're a die-hard Apple enthusiast who really wants to splurge on their brand of truly wireless earbuds, you can do much, much better.

Something to note is that the AirPods (as far as I know) are not sweat resistant, nor are they designed to be. If you're the type that likes to work out with your earbuds, this is something to keep in mind. You might get away with leaving them in your ear after light jogging or weightlifting, but don't expect them to be reliable for that. For that particular price point, you can rock a pair of truly wireless Jaybirds, or go for Jabra Elite Sport 65t for like... $10-20 more? If you can spare that kind of cash, you'd be able to take calls with it, call upon Siri with it if you want, have decent battery life, and you get an Equalizer via as seperate app, which you don't get with the AirPods.

Point being, the AirPods have stiff competition unless you're just the type of person to pay for branding, I guess.

Last edited:

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
They just kind of look dorky to me. I would rather just buy the thing that allows you to plug your earbuds in.

Vigilance

The Devil Himself
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
IMO, don't.

You can get a regular bluetooth pair of headphones for much cheaper than the earpods would run you with arguably better sound quality, depending on the quality you're look for. In fact, I'd argue that you can get superior quality bluetooth headphones at around the $100 mark that would work just fine with iPhones that would give you a much better experience than the EarPods would.

Really, the Earpods are just a truly wireless version of their traditional corded headphones, except jacked up to literally three times the price. Their corded headphones price at about $30-45 (somewhere in between, I think?) depending on where you shop (I'm looking at Target's website right now and they're about $30 or so). So unless you're a die-hard Apple enthusiast who really wants to splurge on their brand of truly wireless earbuds, you can do much, much better.

Something to note is that the EarPods (as far as I know) are not sweat resistant, nor are they designed to be. If you're the type that likes to work out with your earbuds, this is something to keep in mind. You might get away with leaving them in your ear after light jogging or weightlifting, but don't expect them to be reliable for that. For that particular price point, you can rock a pair of truly wireless Jaybirds, or go for Jabra Elite Sport 65t for like... $10-20 more? If you can spare that kind of cash, you'd be able to take calls with it, call upon Siri with it if you want, have decent battery life, and you get an Equalizer via as seperate app, which you don't get with the EarPods.

Point being, the EarPods have stiff competition unless you're just the type of person to pay for branding, I guess.
Yeah a main selling point for me as of recent is athletic activity and whether or not they fall out. I've looked at the Powerbeats and am considering those as well but I just don't feel like those beats look aesthetically nice when you're not doing athletic activities. You make some good points though and I'll definitely look up those other brands and do a price comparison chart.

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I don't like earphones so nah. Anything in the ear hurt my ears so bad. I have Beats Solo 3 and they're the best. They're like, $300, but if you can get them on Amazon, it's really worth it. I'm never going back to regular headphones.

Also, corded headphones suck because if I don't have the dongle I can't use them reeee

Penumbra

The Devil's Advocate
AKA
Pen, Penu, Penny
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4313-6127-3959
After seeing them in person, they look pretty silly.

Last edited: