AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
How on earth did you manage to get Shadow Claw that early? At any rate, seems like Beetz was a really good choice after all!

CONNORmn

Rookie Trainer
How on earth did you manage to get Shadow Claw that early? At any rate, seems like Beetz was a really good choice after all!
In HG and SS the tm for shadow claw is just sitting on the other side of the east exit of ecruteak. Seems like they wanted to give you a better chance against morty by gifting this to you right by his gym lol.

CONNORmn

Rookie Trainer
I head to blackthorn and grind the team up to level 41. Time for Claire. I lead with lanturn and one shot gyarados with discharge. I swap to heracross for dragonair and one shot both of them with close combat. I go into Persian for kingdra and use fake out then slash to bring it below half health. She hits me hard so I swap to heracross and finish it off with close combat.

After taking on kimono girls and taking care of lugia, I head to the E4. I beat the rival and grind up the team to level 47. The top 4 are all grinded up. The other two I’m taking in for Ban Fodder are Furret and Aipom. Here’s the final look at the team before E4:

:heracross: Beetz Lvl 47
Brick break
Close combat
Night slash
Aerial ace

:magmar: Grilled Lvl 47
Flamethrower
Faint attack
Focus blast
Confuse ray

:persian: Gio Lvl 47
Fake out
Slash
Bite
Power gem

:lanturn: Bulbs Lvl 47
Surf
Discharge
Blizzard
Signal beam

:furret: Dobbs Lvl 28 (Ban Fodder)

:aipom: Aip Lvl 7 (Ban Fodder)

Will is up first. Persian uses fake out and bite to take out xatu. I stay in and one shot jynx with bite. I swap to magmar and one shot exxegutor with flamethrower. I swap to lanturn and two shot slowbro with discharge. I go back to Persian to fake out and bite the final xatu.

Koga up next. Magmar one shots ariados and forretress with flamethrower. I swap to lanturn and use surf to three shot muk. I stay in and two shot crobat with discharge. I swap to magmar and one shot Venomoth with flamethrower. Koga goes down.

Bruno is next. I two shot hitmontop with flamethrower. I wanted to use special attacks here because hitmontop has counter and likes to use it. Lanturn one shots onyx with surf. Stay in and two shot hitmonlee with surf. Swap to Persian and fake out and two slash on hitmonchan. I did this because he had no fighting moves. Finally machamp. I go to heracross and land a one shot crit aerial ace taking him out.

Karen up next. Heracross one shots umbreon with close combat. Lanturn one shots murkrow with discharge. Persian two shots gengar with bite. Thank god no destiny bond this time! I swap to lanturn for houndoom. He goes nasty plot turn one. Uh oh! I land a surf nearly taking it out. But he outspeeds me. I have to risk it to finish him. I go for surf. And she swaps out to vileplume! Wow! She would’ve been better off staying in and attacking. Now she will lose. I swap to magmar to finish vileplume with flamethrower and back to lanturn for surf to finish houndoom after easily taking a crunch.

Finally. Lance. The final battle of Gen 4! I start off by one shorting gyarados with discharge after taking a waterfall. I stay in against dragonite and almost die to outrage. I land a blizzard though and take it out. I need to heal freely. Time to sacrifice. I swap to aipom for the next dragonite. Aipom dies as I heal lanturn. Lanturn comes back in and takes a dragon rush for massive damage but finishes dragonite with blizzard. The final dragonite comes out but I need to freely heal again. Another sacrifice. I go to furret and heal lanturn as furret dies. I go back to lanturn and one shot blizzard after taking a hyper beam. I need lanturn for the final two. I go to Persian for charizard. I fake out to get free damage. I use the next turn to heal lanturn. Persian gets one shot crit air slash. I go to magmar. I need to damage it a bit more. I land a confuse ray but he breaks through and lands another crit air slash and one shots magmar. Yikes. I go to lanturn and surf after taking dragon claw and finish him. I need to fully heal for aerodactyl. I go to heracross for aerodactyl. I heal up lanturn as heracross goes down. Lanturn comes in and eats a rock slide then takes it over half with surf. I take another rock slide with 30 hp left then fish him with surf.

Another close call against lance! Gen 4 is officially done now! On to gen 5! I’m thinking these will be tough as there is 4 games I’ll start to run low on good options. I’ll be starting black or white here soon!

Pokemon Red:
Blastoise
Nidoqueen
Victreebell
Ninetails
Machoke
Fearow

Pokémon Blue:
Venusaur
Lapras
Kadabra
Jolteon
Dugtrio
Raticate

Pokémon Yellow:
Pikachu
Nidoking
Sandslash
Hypno
Vaporeon
Onix

Pokémon Gold:
Typhlosion
Pidgeot
Wigglytuff
Ampharos
Slowbro
Miltank

Pokémon Silver:
Meganium
Crobat
Golem
Tentacruel
Girafarig
Ledyba

Pokémon Crystal:
Noctowl
Politoed
Gengar
Quagsire
Venomoth
Psyduck

Pokémon Ruby:
Sceptile
Swellow
Exploud
Flygon
Manectric
Sharpedo

Pokémon Sapphire:
Swampert
Ninjask
Camerupt
Lunatone
Vileplume
Spinda

Pokémon Emerald:
Aggron
Skarmory
Ludicolo
Electrode
Solrock
Illumise

Pokémon Fire Red:
Charizard
Parasect
Arbok
Exeggutor
Hitmonlee
Dewgong

Pokémon Leaf Green:
Rhydon
Primeape
Dodrio
Clefable
Starmie
Caterpie

Pokémon Diamond:
Torterra
Staraptor
Floatzel
Skuntank
Medicham
Abomasnow

Pokémon Pearl:
Infernape
Gyarados
Roserade
Hippowdon
Mismagius
Weavile

Pokémon Platinum:
Empoleon
Luxray
Togekiss
Rotom
Bronzong
Garchomp

Pokémon Heart Gold:
Feraligatr
Butterfree
Weezing
Forretress
Espeon
Mammoswine

Pokémon Soul Silver:
Heracross
Magmar
Persian
Lanturn
Furret
Aipom

Last edited:

CONNORmn

Rookie Trainer
Hey guys. Quick update here. I’m gonna put this run on hold for a while. I got to around 6 badges in black then lost my save data. I will come back eventually but just can’t get into it right now. Thinking about doing some sort of randomized run on each game for my next challenge. But I’ll get back to this run in the future for sure and thanks for those who have followed. 🤟

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Dude, that's the worst. I totally get it; the same thing happened to me on a casual Ruby run. Best of luck going forward!