Ask a Super Nerd anything.

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I graduated in geological sciences, now work as an IT professional, and I spend much of my life either playing videogames or browsing the web. I think that qualifies me as a Super Nerd. I even wear glasses, some of the time.

Ruellia

I'm a flowerrr
Hmm, what would you say is your favorite game at the moment, and what currently is your favorite console? :)

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
henlo there!

i have some questions c:

1. if you existed in the Pokemon world, what region would you live in and what would be your 6 pokemon team?
2. what do you like to do in your free time?
3. what's the ideal job for you?

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Favourite game currently? I'd say Kerbal Space Program, I've been playing it on and off for a few years now, getting back to "on" in the past few weeks, and there are always new things to do. Only thing is I'm struggling to focus on it the way I used to, maybe it's just because I'm a bit stressed by other stuff.

Favourite console currently? My 3DS. Only recent console I own actually, I haven't had a home console since the PS2. I plan on getting a Switch when the price drops, which because the thing has sold like hotcakes hasn't happened yet.

If I existed in the Pokemon world
That's a hard one. Playing the games Johto is my favourite region, but to live in? I'm somehow drawn to Unova. The big city of Castelia, the theme parks and sports in Nimbasa, the arts of Nacrene. And, as something of a rock and metal fan, I'd have to see one of Roxie's concerts!

The team:
Empoleon, representing Linux.
Magneton, as possibly my most used Pokemon in the games.
Anorith, the cute trilobite straight out of eons past. (I'm not such a big fan of Armaldo's design).
Golurk, because flying on one is AWE-SOME.
Porygon, to help me figure out what's wrong with everyone's computers.
Golem, one of the old faithful of the rock/grounds.

What do I like to do in my free time?
Besides web browsing and videogaming, you mean. Well Lego, I've spent rather too much money on it. The pride and joy of my collection is definitely the Saturn V, and I've an ambition to collect every Space Shuttle they've made. Also reading. Not as much as I used to and tends to be non-fiction nowadays, I think the last thing I read was a book on the Avro Vulcan. Also I kind of like driving, though it's rare I'll spare the time and fuel to just go for a drive. (And since I live in a big city it takes a while to get to any good fun roads.)

Ideal job
On-location geologist on humanity's first Mars base :-D
OK, realistic ideal job, I think senior Linux sysadmin. But it's more about working for a good company with good management than the precise job role.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
you mentioned Linux a lot, how come? :D

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I've been using it as my main OS for about 15 years now. I first tried a Knoppix CD from the cover of a magazine, and at a time when my PC was running Windows 98, it was a revelation. I quickly learnt a lot about it and have never really looked back since.

Because I'd gained that familiarity I was able to take those skills into my job. Linux and open source have been key to me managing a network of around a hundred PCs across three sites and my work would be very different without it. Of course we need Windows (and Microsoft Office mainly) on the desktops, but on the server I've administered Windows servers and they gave me so much more trouble than the Linux ones.