Discussion Bad Art Habits

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
What are some bad art habits you've formed over time?

Mine is giving up too quickly into an artwork. Sometimes I'll make a really rough sketch and scrap it, over and over again without ever giving it a chance to improve. Almost every artwork goes through an ugly phase, but it's hard for me to persevere through it.

How about you?

Last edited:

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
My biggest one is my inconsistency, at least for graphics. I haven't done a piece in about three months, and stopping for a period of time stunts my growth in ability. Also just not bothering to go through details and smoothing things out.

Sheep

Regular Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Same as you, Michelle. :'< I'm very picky with art, so I tend to scrap and quit with....probably 80% of the artwork I start, if not more. it's awful ; ; sometimes all I need is to keep going and finish it, and by then I'd end up liking it....but ugh, it is really hard being such a perfectionist lol

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
if I'm drawing on paper, I press too hard, that's a rly bad habit of mine. I can't draw light enough to sketch properly. I have such a heavy hand and I've never been able to curb it. It's nice how I don't even have to worry about that with digital drawings.

Reunilu

Reddest of Mages
AKA
Shaymin, Nagi
Mine tends to be leaving out hands or making heads too big. Not in a way that I hide the hands, more like I draw the pose I want and the arms stop where the hands are supposed to be. Making heads too big is probably a result of drawing chibis too much without doing a regular drawing inbetween, so they end up somewhere between childlike and “the head is bigger than the rest of the body” and sometimes I just end up quitting because of it.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
My hand shakes whenever I draw. Digital, painting, sketches, my hand always shakes. It's the reason why I've resorted to pixel art.

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
hmm

well if it's personal art and i don't finish it in one sitting, i probably won't ever touch it again. that's why i tend to stick to pencil + ink sketches. i can do those pretty quickly and be satisfied with them. but if it's say, a digital drawing/painting and I'm trying to get the line art and shading just right, i lose interest pretty quickly.

procrastinating my school art is also a really bad habit that i'm struggling with right now actually haha. as i type this i should be working on my life drawings,,

@shhmew - have you tried using mechanical pencils to draw? some people find them useful bc the lead snaps if you press too hard, so it helps to remind them "oops, gotta draw lighter". you could also use harder pencils such as 2h because they leave lighter lines.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
hmm

well if it's personal art and i don't finish it in one sitting, i probably won't ever touch it again. that's why i tend to stick to pencil + ink sketches. i can do those pretty quickly and be satisfied with them. but if it's say, a digital drawing/painting and I'm trying to get the line art and shading just right, i lose interest pretty quickly.

procrastinating my school art is also a really bad habit that i'm struggling with right now actually haha. as i type this i should be working on my life drawings,,

@shhmew - have you tried using mechanical pencils to draw? some people find them useful bc the lead snaps if you press too hard, so it helps to remind them "oops, gotta draw lighter". you could also use harder pencils such as 2h because they leave lighter lines.
I haven't tried mechanical pencils, but I have tried harder pencils!! I bought a bunch of pencils with different hardness for my drawing class and used them all the time since it made drawing lighter a LOT easier, but it felt like cheating loool

Solar

Loog Noog Supreme
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
This is obscure but sometimes when I’m really in the zone, I suck in my upper lip and kind of gently bite on it? And after a while it leaves a dent that goes away over time. It’s super annoying and I need to STOP but I never even realize I’m doing it.