AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
The general idea so far, as listed in the main committee thread, is a doubles pink Pokemon tournament. That's a good starting point, but of course there are a couple more details to be worked out. I'd like to get the other committee members' thoughts on these!

--Platform: Everyone seems to be on the same page using Showdown. Cartridge battles worked alright last time, but that would be too difficult and/or time consuming if we have any kind of theme, which we will. Using Showdown doesn't allow us to have true Multi Battles, but one couple can always hop on the same account and make their decisions together.
--Format: Using the Doubles format came up from the original idea that there would be two people battling together on one side, and the Wedlocke-inspired battle rules I mentioned once would also need that. However, it doesn't look like either of those are going to happen, so there's no direct need to play Doubles. There's also nothing wrong with doing it that way, but we could consider using Singles as well.
--Tier: No pink Pokemon are banned to Ubers, so we could get away with having these battles in the OU tier. That said, there's really no harm in playing Ubers, to allow as many things as possible in case I'm forgetting something, so I think that's what we should do.
--Theme: Using only Pokemon in the Pink color group sounds like fun, so I'm good with that. Do we also want to add the clause that every Pokemon must know Attract? I think that would end up being a bad idea. Attract doesn't affect genderless Pokemon, and most if not all of the genderless pink Pokemon are legendaries (Mew, Tapu Lele, etc). An immunity to the debilitating gimmick of the battles has a very high chance to make these Pokemon, which are already some of the strongest in the group, just too much to handle.
Cleffa
Clefairy
Clefable
Igglybuff
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Mega Slowbro
Slowking
Exeggcute
Lickitung
Lickilicky
Happiny
Chansey
Blissey
Mime Jr.
Mr. Mime
Porygon
Mew
Flaaffy
Hoppip
Snubbull
Corsola
Smoochum
Miltank
Whismur
Skitty
Milotic
Gorebyss
Luvdisc
Cherubi
Mesprit
Munna
Musharna
Audino (NOT Mega Audino)
Deerling (all seasons)
Alomomola
Spritzee
Aromatisse
Sylveon
Diancie
Mega Diancie
Oricorio (Pa'u Style)
Fomantis
Lurantis
Lurantis-Totem
Stufful
Bewear
Bruxish
Tapu Lele

*Sunshine Cherrim is listed as pink, but since Cherrim always defaults to its Overcast form, which is purple, Cherrim will not be allowed.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
I feel like having Tapu Lele in this format isn't really a good idea. There's nothing in this meta that can stop it except maybe Chansey and Mega Slowbro.

I also think that 6v6 Singles is probably the best format to go with. It's what most people are the most familiar with and it's the least complicated battle style out there.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I like the idea of doubles personally, because it feels more... couple-y? Plus the format isn't used often so it makes it a little more of an even playing field because less people are familiar with it. Singles would be fine too, im just partial to doubles heheh.

I do agree about Tapu Lele though, I was thinking about that earlier. It's rampant in OU as things are now, and that's with checks and counters in the tier. With only pink Pokemon, it'll end up being on every team... with very few Pokemon that can go against it, like Res pointed out.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
I had thought about that problem when I brought up Attract, and my general thought was that using that rule would mean we ban genderless Pokémon. It’s up to everyone, of course, but I do think that some sillier rules make things more inviting for more casual players, similarly to how I kind of get intimidated a bit when I see labels like “OU” and “Ubers” just became it makes things sound more intense. That could be a personal thing only, but I thought I’d bring that perspective into it in case other non-competitive players feel similarly.

Of course, there’s nothing WRONG with framing it as a competitive tournament instead of a more casual one. I just think there could also be value in catering to the more casual members for an event like Marriprom as well.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Don't worry, I plan for this to be a casual tournament. Those are just things we have to take into consideration for how it will actually be run.

I had thought about that myself, but I wanted to see if anybody else brought it up. Goodness knows Tapu Lele is damn near unstoppable in OU as it is, and having it in a group of Pokemon this narrow would probably be a recipe for disaster.

I like Dino's solution, of banning the genderless Pokemon, since that would take care of most of the serious threats at the same time. Genderless pink Pokemon are...Porygon, Mew, Mesprit, (Mega) Diancie, and Tapu Lele. Aside from Porygon, who I don't think anyone will really miss, all legendaries. So, any problems with that? Banning the listed Pokemon, and everything must have Attract?

Resolute

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Time Zone
EST
Here's another idea: Instead of submitting Showdown replays in the thread itself, maybe participants should send it you instead. If we want to keep this casual, people aren't going to want to change up their team between every battle to try and one-up other teams.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I don't think we need to specify that certain Pokemon are banned, just saying that every Pokemon needs to be from the pink color group + have the move attract would be fine since it has the same effect.

I also don't think we need to go beyond that for tiers, clauses, or anything else. Having only two rules makes it really easy for people to get into it if they aren't familiar with competitive battling.

We could have people send replays in privately, but because people like spectating matches live, that feels like it would be kinda restrictive. If people wanna be super competitive and do research on teams they can, but I don't think the casual players will mind very much. Again, simplicity is key here.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I don't think we need to specify that certain Pokemon are banned, just saying that every Pokemon needs to be from the pink color group + have the move attract would be fine since it has the same effect.

I also don't think we need to go beyond that for tiers, clauses, or anything else. Having only two rules makes it really easy for people to get into it if they aren't familiar with competitive battling.

We could have people send replays in privately, but because people like spectating matches live, that feels like it would be kinda restrictive. If people wanna be super competitive and do research on teams they can, but I don't think the casual players will mind very much. Again, simplicity is key here.
Mmm, not quite the same effect. Mew is genderless, but being Mew it can learn Attract. Should we not allow it anyway? With the versatility Mew possesses, and theoretically being the only legendary, it would wreak havoc. And I wasn't going to go so far as to specify that certain Pokemon are banned from the group, but likely just give a list of which Pokemon we'll allow. That'll save people the trouble of checking which Pokemon are pink too.

We won't shove it down peoples' throats that this is going to be an "Ubers" tournament, and I don't expect them to know or even care what that really means, but again, simply for the sake of logistics and being consistent I'd like to make sure that people select the Ubers format when they play their matches on Smogon.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I personally don't feel like Mew is as big of a problem as Tapu Lele, it's strong but most of that comes from the versatility. That being said, it can learn attract but can't actually use it in battle. Just change the phrasing to say that all Pokemon must be pink + able to use attract, and then provide the list of legal Pokemon, and that'd work well I think.

We can specify that when you challenge the opponent to a battle you should do it in the Ubers tier through showdown. I'm mostly just concerned about labeling it as an Ubers tourney when it's pretty different from that.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I see what you mean. It's definitely not an Ubers tournament, and we can make that clear too. And I realized we never came to a true consensus on this, but I agree with Seaturtle that Doubles lends itself better to a couple-themed and more balanced environment. So, this is what we've got.

-Battles played in the Ubers Doubles format on Showdown
-All Pokemon must be in the Pink color group
-All Pokemon must have Attract in their moveset
-Players can choose from the following Pokemon:
Cleffa
Clefairy
Clefable
Igglybuff
Jigglypuff
Wigglytuff
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Mega Slowbro
Slowking
Exeggcute
Lickitung
Lickilicky
Happiny
Chansey
Blissey
Mime Jr.
Mr. Mime
Mew
Flaaffy
Hoppip
Snubbull
Corsola
Smoochum
Miltank
Whismur
Skitty
Milotic
Gorebyss
Luvdisc
Cherubi
Munna
Musharna
Audino (NOT Mega Audino)
Deerling (all seasons)
Alomomola
Spritzee
Aromatisse
Sylveon
Oricorio (Pa'u Style)
Fomantis
Lurantis
Lurantis-Totem
Stufful
Bewear
Bruxish
Resolute mentioned sending the replays to me privately to prevent people from scouting and/or counter-teaming their opponents. However, I plan to participate in this myself if my partner is willing. Should that be the case, should we look for a non-participating committee member to be in charge of the replays, or just post them in the thread and ask/trust people to leave them alone?

Resolute

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Time Zone
EST
I think letting a non-participating committee member handle it is a great idea.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I agree that that would be the best course of action ideally, but it means we have to find someone who fits that description. Any takers, folks?

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I don't think it matters that much, personally. If we're trying to make it more causal, making the battles more private and secretive feels like it's too much? We could let people send them privately if they want to protect team secrecy, but there's a good chance people will be posting the links for people to watch live in the Competitive Battling channel anyways. It feels like it's a lot of trouble to go through for something that not many people would care about.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Should we allow single participants to enter the tournament? Obviously since it's Showdown we would have two people working on one account, which a lone person could do just as well. But if we open that up, I'm worried about possibly getting too many people to have the thing done in time.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I think that would be ok and would probably result in more participation.