AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Lately I've been getting a hankering to play some Kanto again. FRLG are beyond my technical capabilities, and I'm not ready to cough up for a Switch to play Let's Go Eevee, so that leaves Gen I.

Now, I've played Pokemon Blue before, and I thought it was fine. I have to decide if I'd like to play Red or Yellow, if I end up doing this at all. Is there anyone who has played both one of the paired versions and Yellow, and who could tell me how they stack up against one another? I don't plan to keep the starter Pikachu on my team, so there goes the main difference of Yellow, and regardless of which one I play I know I want to use Charmander. Does Yellow have enough (or any) of the perks/updates that usually accompany third versions to make it worth waiting a badge or two to pick up the Charmander? Or should I just go for Red and get it as my starter right away?

Revan

Wound in the Force
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ravey, Steve
Time Zone
US Central Time
Personally I vastly preferred Yellow to Red. You get Charmander before you beat the second gym, and can get Bulbasaur around that time as well. I found most of the gym leaders to be more difficult in Yellow than in Red especially due to the insane level spike between Erika and Koga/Sabrina. There are a lot more connections to the anime though, namely part of Team Rocket and the Gym Leaders' teams, which are sometimes completely different from Red/Blue. Basically I find Yellow more challenging but also very nostalgic since I played it first after having watched Season 1 of the anime. The challenge is nice, and at the same time it's very easy to get a balanced team fairly early on especially if you add certain Pokemon to your team.

Oh, and also I think the sprites of the opposing Pokemon look soooooooo much better in Yellow omg.

Long story short, if you want an experience more like the anime and tougher Gym Leaders, I'd say go with Yellow. I hope this helps!

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I see; thanks for the advice, Revan! Since I posted that I've done a bit more poking around myself, and I found a useful bit of info that guarantees I want to play Yellow over Red. Turns out Charizard can learn Fly by HM in Yellow only, and not in Red and Blue. That's important to me, since I want to have the HMs readily available but I don't particularly want to have another Flying-type Pokemon on my team. So, Yellow it is.

Cheshire Cat

Cursed
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
4184-2828-4738
IGN
Angel
I believe the rival is more challenging in Yellow as well.
It's been years and Yellow is the only of the first generation that I have left, I can not fathom how the damn thing is still functioning after almost 20 years at this point but I digress.

I remember that I ended up having to get a friend of mine to beat that last rival battle for me because I'd gotten through the E4 3 or 4 times only to have my rival kick my ass.
Granted, it was my first game though.

Personally, I prefer Yellow for the overall adventure because I love the Pikachu starter and battling Jesse and James instead of random Rocket Grunts even though the game still referred to them as 'Rocket Grunt' but prefer Red or Blue to exploit glitches. Namely, because the Old Man glitch can't be done in Yellow.

Last edited: