AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I'm hardly a veteran on the challenge scene: about to complete my first one ever, a Nuzlocke of Yellow. It's been a lot of fun, though, and it's inspired me to maybe try my hand at other challenges in the future like an X Wonderlocke or a Platinum Wedlocke.

For those of you who are not newcomers to the challenger life, what have been some of your best and worst experiences? Favorite and least favorite challenges that you've attempted?

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Best experience: Using an unappreciated Pokemon effectively. Thinks of Tempel the Avalugg :avalugg: first. Destroyed a lot of Champion Cup trainers in Sword/Shield. Remembers a Chatot :chatot: and Vullaby :vullaby: also faring well in Moon.

Worst experience: Either
- Lost Pokemon while training during a blind Ultra Sun Nuzlocke. Wants to zone out during a grind (and also speed it up). Cannot really do that. Could have used that Diglett :alolandiglett: versus either Olivia (Rock Grand Trial) or Totem Togedemaru :togedemaru:.
- Leverages most possible advantages. Hunts for specific abilities, natures, or egg moves sometimes. Results in long grinds. (Example: Soft-reset Horde battles for hidden abilities in X, like Scraggy's :scraggy: Indimidate. Then breed them for a better nature. Next, level them without overleveling everyone else.) Considers this more of a personal problem than a challenge problem, admittedly.

Cannot particularly state a favorite challenge. Disliked that blind Ultra Sun Nuzlocke the most, though. Hates losing Pokemon due to carelessness (most often) or bad luck. May have liked that particular Pokemon. Penalizes you further by forcing you to grind more.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I've only ever really tried a Nuzlocke once, and I stopped because of a moment that pissed me off.

It was Fantina's gym in Platinum.
I cant remember most of my team, but I had a Monferno named Piston. Went to fight one of her trainers with a Haunter.
That punk hit EVERY SINGLE HYPNOSIS. 55% accuracy my ass.
Piston was my only Pokemon not asleep. He was over half health, and died to a crit Shadow Ball.
I was NOT ok after that. Lol. I buried Piston, turned the game off, and just kind of gave up after that.

Vivid Stardust

~ Like Stars In The Sky ~
AKA
Vivid, Apollo
So I haven’t had a best experience yet (partly because I still haven’t won a challenge), but let’s be honest, losing “I Won’t Wait For ‘Someday’!” and “Go For The Golden Mean!” were *rough*. I lost “I Won’t Wait For ‘Someday’!” because Cheren critted my Patrat when he was at *almost full health* (not to mention the rest of the terrible luck I had that run). In “Go For The Golden Mean!”, I had to solo Faulkner with a Chikorita, of all things, and I didn’t get a single other catch that run. To add insult to injury, I also lost that run to a critical hit, since Bugsy’s Scyther crit Aquinas and killed him.

I just hope that my current Nuzlocke run (Back to Basics) and my future Rainbow Wedlocke + Rainbow Monocolor (Monochrome Rainbow) have more luck.... (Edit: And “Like An Animal Circus,” which I just started because I love Unova too much.)

Last edited:

OceanMaster

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
IGN
Isiac
I haven’t done many challenges personally but I do enjoy them. I tend to make my own type of things up and see what I can do; however my favorite one is a vanilla nuzlocke challenge I recently did on Platinum. Unfortunately for me, I lost at Cynthia due to one unfortunate miss but it was my favorite run regardless. My team going in was Gyarados, Electivire, Crobat, Ambipom, Milotic(I caught barboach and magikarp already so feebas was my only possible encounter fishing in Mt. Coronet), and Gardevoir. My team was holding up good until Flint where I lost my first team member, Gardevoir. That loss made things difficult but gyarados plowed through the rest of Flint and Lucian. Then Cynthia came and I led with gyarados set up 3 DD and thought I could sweep but when it came to togekiss I missed my ice fang and ended up dying. Mind you, I didn’t heal from spiritombs damage as I prohibited item usage during battle aside from held items. Then the rest of my team managed to knock everything out up until garchomp. He just obliterated them all. Milotic wasn’t as high as the rest of my team because he was a last minute addition due to my previous water type, Golduck dying in victory road. I lost right then and there and was upset about it all. Until that point I only had 4 casualties: infernape, golduck, Cherrim and staravia. Despite all that it was a fun run and I need to take it more seriously next time. My next favorite would have to be my Y run which I did a mono poison type team. I allowed myself to only use moves that were either poison or their dual type. (e.g Drapion had access to poison/dark moves) and this honestly made things tough but with XYs easy gameplay it wasn’t hard at all. Hence why it’s not my favorite. I’d love to do another challenge run sometime in which I set more restrictions and have a more difficult time with it all. Quarantine will make that happen lol.