Gen 8 VGC Battle Spot Brutal Sun (Series 7 Sun Hyper Offence)

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
This was meant to be a video, but Youtube videos are hard... I will get there though.

Team 4.png

I've spent much of today playing around with this team, because I want to get to Master Ball before the end of the month (I'm Ultra Ball 10 right now!), and I want to produce a series showcasing team building as a process. Something educational, something different, something, epic.

This team is an amalgamation of 2 other teams I've seen - a Torkoal + Venusaur team, and a Thundurus + Urshifu Team, with Weakness Policy Metagross chucked in. The first 4 Pokémon hit so freaking hard its crazy, and puts up a lot of turn one offensive pressure.

Anything feedback would be appreciated, as I'm stumped on Mimikyu's spot.

Torkoal @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drought
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Burning Jealousy
- Body Press
- Protect
- Yawn

Bulky Torkoal - why haven't I used this in the last few generations? He's insanely bulky - he took a STAB Max Quake the other day with 8 HP remaining, which burned the Garchomp back, netting me the win.

Burning Jealousy was chosen over Eruption and Heatwave because it is an anti-set up move. If you're proccing Weakness Policy or setting up boosts, you're getting burnt, which puts me back into a decent advantage. Yawn does the same thing, and puts the opposing Pokémon in a difficult position. Body Press is a great coverage move, making the most of that huge Defence STAT, and hitting Heatran, Tyranitar and Incineroar for Super Effective.

Bold and 31 IV inspeed outruns Dusclops, but underspeeds Glastrier, so I can burn it after it self activates Weakness Policy with Brick Break in Trick Room.

Venusaur-Gmax @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- Sleep Powder / Protect

The other half of the Torkoal Venusaur - this gives me insane speed control, turn one, and threatens so much stuff in response. Most Tailwind abusers aren't running max Speed, whereas I will outrun anything up to base 80, including Adamanat Metagross and Modest Heatran. It also outruns Scarf Blacephalon in the Sun, which was so useful to beat a Mind Blown Blacephalon + Steam Engine Coalossal lead.

Sludge Bomb threatens Fairies, which wall Urshifu, Leaf Storm threatens Grounds, which wall Thundurus. Earth Power is an important coverage move, hurting those Fire and Steel types and netting Venusaur some useful Special Defence boosts.

The choice between Protect + Sleep Powder is hard. Sleep Powder at least turns into Max Guard, giving me the option to Protect, giving me the option of "either / or." Protect would come in clutch at some points, but Sleep Powder still has that 75% chance to put something to sleep (if its slower, obviously)

Urshifu-Gmax @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

This thing is insane. Who would have thought that a Dark / Fighting type in a metagame filled with Fairies would thrive?

So many people have used this set, because it OHKOs so much. The sheer threat of it dissuades people bringing their Trick Room options, lest they get OHKO'd by a Choice Band Wicked Blow or Close Combat. To be honest, it doesn't need the other moves.

Sucker Punch for occasional Priority, but I'm loathed to lock myself into it. Iron Head was chosen over Poison Jab, as it has better max options. Poison Job doesn't help most of my team at all.

This thing combos very well with...

Thundurus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Brutal Swing

I guess this is my replacement for Gyarados, which I trade Intimidate with something that loves being Intimidated and much better base Speed.

Being an Electric and a Flying type, he threatens everything that walls the rest of my team. Waters? Check. Grass types? Check. Flying Types? Steel types? Check, Check.

Max Airstream is also one of my favourite moves, giving me a second form of Speed control; with Urshifu next to him, the two can threaten to KO everything slower than them, and get the jump on a lot of other things as well.

Defiant also protects Urshifu as well - if you try and crush one, you boost the other. Its a very potent combo, as Thundurus alone can get out of hand quickly with boosted Speed, and potential Max Knuckles.

Assault Vest... is an option, but it couldn't go on anyone else. It does cushion some blows from Max Darkness and Max Wyrmiwind, meaning he can get some extra Defiant boosts.

But what that also means, is that he needs a 4th damaging move. So I went with Brutal Swing to help...

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Stomping Tantrum
- Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt
- Protect

Weakness Policy Metagross is everywhere. This is the new Tyranitar, the new Rhyperior. When you've got something as bulky as Metagross, and give him double HP, and a lot of weaknesses, it just screams Weakness Policy.

Thundurus is quite fast, so usually that will get proc the Weakness Policy, and this can start setting up Defence and Special Defence boosts to become a monster. Max Speed, Max Attack isn't the most efficient spread, but it at least gets him hitting Metagross's first, giving me a better chance of winning.

Iron Head for accuracy, as it has the same base power as Meteor Mash when Dynamaxing. Stomping Tantrum also has same base power as Earthquake when Dynamax. Ice Punch is pretty good coverage, hitting Landorus-T and Dragons for super effective. Zen Headbutt would be better for neutral coverage, hitting Rotom-W and Rotom-H for neutral. Protect for... protect.

I'm not entirely convinced by him - he's more of a niche pick against some funky set up leads. While they are busy setting up Trick Room, I'll have a +2 Attack, +1 (Sp) Defence, and in a good position to sweep with Focus Sashes broken.

Mimikyu @ Mental Herb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Taunt

The least liked member on the team - its very disappointing right now. Maybe I'm expecting too much of it, but I don't know. Its kind of a lot of stuff chucked together.

Mimikyu gives me anti Trick Room, some anti set up with Taunt, and a way of setting up Metagross with Shadow Sneak. Disguise gives her an almost guaranteed turn one to survive, and then lets the team roll from there.

I'd love to have this as another, hardcore Trick Room option, but not sure it would really fit with the team. It would give me a scary back up to hyper offence for sure, but giving it a way of setting up without Fake Out kind of bites. I wish I had something with Fake Out, maybe.

===​

Currently this team is 6-1, with its only loss due to a dangerous Xurkitree and Tapu Koko lead. It killed everything, as not having a Ground type kind of bites.

Last edited: