Bucs’ Boroughs - Pendraflare’s White 2 Pirate Golden Age Time Warp Challenge [Clay-Mation!]

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Why hello, everybody! So as of late, I’ve done plenty of Pokémon challenge runs but haven’t really documented them. But nowadays with us not being able to do a whole lot, I feel like it may be worth pulling it out here once again, to give myself something to do. And hopefully by the time I’m done with this challenge, things outside will be looking up. (That IS a “hopefully”.) But no, this won’t be a Nuzlocke, as much as I miss those it is good to do something less stressful. And I've done many challenges on XY and USUM - the former of which I’ve already completed one Monotype on each this year and the latter of which I just finished a different run in, so I thought I'd do some DS era for a change. Which includes my favorite game in the series, the one I’ll be playing here! This is actually the same challenge I did on Platinum two years ago when we did Azurilland Plays for Sinnoh. So, let’s get on with it!
The basic Time Warp Challenge Rules are average fare for this game and era. With that, here are the…
Allowed types: Water, Dark, Ground, Fighting, Flying, Ghost + Grass after beating Burgh (Required Pokémon: Basculin)
Banned types: Bug, Rock, Electric, Psychic. But then this rule comes in…
"Navy" bounty: You have been given orders to catch the pirates by any means necessary. Switch one allowed type and one banned type with each other. With that, I will swap Ghost-types and Bug-types. There’s only one Ghost-type I would want to us anyway, and I like the selection of Bug-types here. After said revision, we've got it looking like…
Allowed types: Water, Dark, Ground, Fighting, Flying, Bug + Grass after beating Burgh (Required Pokémon: Basculin)
Banned types: Ghost, Rock, Electric, Psychic
"Ship" rule: One Pokemon in your team must be designated as your vessel. This Pokemon is the only one that can and must learn Surf. Optionally, name this Pokemon like you would a ship. So when I get Basculin, I'll want to get clever!
(Credit to Ahri from Pokecommunity for these rules)

Other rules I’m using:
1. The battle style must be on Set at all times, preventing me from switching out after beating my opponent’s Pokémon.
2. Items cannot be used from the bag in battle, other than Poke Balls of any kind. Outside of battle is fine though, and so are healing items.
3. I will be playing on the Challenge Mode setting, which increases the levels of opposing trainers and gives the Gym Leaders and Elite Four extra Pokémon.
Also, while not a serious rule in its own merit, I will also be listing the number of times each of my Pokemon faint in battle. It's nothing significant, just there for fun like Marriland liked to do in his challenge streams.
So that’s pretty much it! If I remember anything else to mention, I’ll add it here. But for now, hope you enjoy this one!

Last edited:

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So I got the first part ready. Let's get on with it! Enjoy.
  • So I started the game, chose the boy and named him Jack, after of course one Captain Jack Sparrow. I named the rival Turner, after sir Will Turner from the same series.
  • As the game began, Mom asked if I wanted a Pokémon. And a Pokédex. No, I don’t know how to open my bag, darn it! You’re asking me a lot of questions. Though a girl with a green hat? That sounds nice. Once I was outside, I met with Turner and his sister, who were quite talkative. He sent her back home and we had to make our way to the outlook for Bianca.
  • We were at the outlook, and Bianca was there, clueless as ever. … Until she asked me to help them complete the Pokédex. I refused. No, you didn’t mishear me! You’re asking a lot of this person you just met to help you complete the Pokédex! How do you mishear “no” as “yes”? Are you just-OKAY FINE I’LL HELP YOU. I chose Tepig as my starter, and even got a female Tepig at that! I named it Porkler.
  • Turner had already hatched an Oshawott from an egg. Y’know, in my time playing this game, I’ve always wondered how he had hatched a certain Pokémon from an egg before you even got your starter? Anyway, I used Tail Whip, and 3HKO’d him. Thanks to Challenge Mode, I gained two levels and not one.urner
  • After the typical tutorials, and getting the Running Shoes, I was free to do as I pleased in heading down Route 19. There, I caught a Purrlion that I named Bandina. As I neared Floccesy Town, we were ambushed by… Alder! Who just jumped off a cliff like it’s nothing. He talked for a bit and guided me over to allow me for some training… But then he saw that I have two Town Maps, and wanted me to give the other one to Turner.
  • So we had to go through Route 20! I let Bandina gain some EXP off the two trainers before I came to a wild Sewaddle, which I caught and named Thread. There was another Youngster with a Patrat, which Bandina dealt most of the damage against, but he finished her, which in turn allowed Thread to finish him and gain big EXP. Faints: 1
  • Then we got to Floccesy Ranch. After gaining a bit of EXP, I went forward and was faced with Turner. He had just the Oshawott. By having Bandina lower his Attack, Thread was able to beat him pretty easily. I gave him the Town Map, and then a pair of Breeders came and discussed how their Herdier had disappeared somewhere. Turner was SIGNIFICANTLY more worried than they were!
  • I wanted to get him out of the way quickly so I could use the female breeder to heal up with. While I was here, I caught two more Pokémon: a Pidove that I named Sparrow and a Psyduck that I named Wizzybeak.
  • Then I dealt with the trainers. None of them were much tough or worth talking about, which is kinda standard fare for the beginning of most games. Eventually I reached a Team Plasma grunt who was heckling the poor Herdier! He wasn't taking it well that I chased him down, and threw TM21 for Frustration at me. Funny and fitting! Turner made it no secret that he wasn't anywhere near as calm as they were. But we found it, so all's well that ends well. That's where I'm gonna leave this off.
:tepig: (F) "Porkler", Level 9
Stats: 31, 18, 14, 15, 15, 13
Moves: Ember, Odor Sleuth, Tackle, Tail Whip

:purrloin: (F) "Bandina", Level 8
Stats: 26, 14, 12, 15, +15, -13
Ability: Unburden
Moves: Assist, Growl, Scratch
Number of times fainted: 1 (Youngster Petey's Patrat)

:sewaddle: (F) "Thread", Level 8
Stats: 27, 14, 17, -9, 15, +13
Ability: Chlorophyll
Moves: Bug Bite, Tackle, String Shot

:pidove: (M) "Sparrow", Level 7
Stats: 25, 12, +15, 11, -9, 11
Ability: Big Pecks
Moves: Growl, Gust

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 8
Stats: 26, 14, 13, 16, 14, 14
Ability: Cloud Nine
Moves: Scratch, Tail Whip, Water Gun, Water Sport

Playing time: 0:55

So as far as my team goes, early on I wanted to have a good selection to have ready. Psyduck being a Water type is nice for this part, and swapping the Ghost type for the Bug type is one that should prove to be beneficial. Sewaddle with String Shot and Bug Bite should be great for Cheren up ahead. You'll see next time how I handle him. Thanks for reading!

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
How about more? Updates may be a bit slow, but I’ll get these out alright! Anyways, enjoy.
  • After finding the ranch owner’s Herdier, I returned to Alder, who had a change of plans and wanted me to train some kids under his wing! I beat them handily and they gave good EXP. Shortly after, Mr. Medal showed up from nowhere, gave me a Medal Box and explained the Medal Rally to me. Then Alder informed me of a new Gym Leader in Aspertia City who was awaiting challenge!
  • So I trained my team up some. Bandina proved tough to train, and even set back a faint from a Level 7 Lillipup after a critical hit from 14 HP. Whatever. I got everyone to Level 10, except Porkler who I got to Level 11. Faints: 1
  • On the way back, Alder stopped me… while jumping off a cliff. Dude, you gotta stop skiing that, you could hurt yourself, especially at your old age! Nevertheless, he gave me some Oran Berries to prepare for what was ahead.
  • With that, I made my way to the Aspertia City Gym. Clyde was there, and so was the Gym Leader, Cheren. He assigned his students to take position! Porkler got most of the EXP from the two trainers. I then went back and got them all to Level 11, and Porkler to 13 so she could get Defense Curl.
  • So I went back to Cheren, who was ready for his first battle as a Gym Leader! :patrat: As he began with Patrat, I opened with Wizzybeak. I began with Tail Whip as he used Work Up. We were speed tied, and he got to +3, but I scored a critical hit Scratch that forced him to use his Potion. I used Disable to stop his Tackle, and got in a Scratch before he used Bite. I brought in Bandina as he used Work Up, but Scratch finished him. / :lillipup: Lillipup was after. I stayed in as he used Work Up, but I had Growl ready for him. This exchange went on for one more turn before he used Tackle for half on the dot, but I stuck with the plan. Then he went back to using Work Up, and I had him at -1. After three more turns of this, he used Tackle again... Which scored an undeserved critical hit for the KO. I brought in Thread, and Tackle did not even 1/4 before I used String Shot. I used Bug Bite to steal his Oran Berry, it did alright, around 1/4, while his Tackle did moderate off of -1. Bug Bite came short of getting him to half... Then his Tackle scored ANOTHER CRITICAL HIT TO GET ME TO 2 HP!!! It propped my Oran Berry, but dear lord! I got him to 1 HP before he finished me. Sparrow came in and used Quick Attack to finish him, and grew to Level 12. / :pidove: Last was his Challenge Mode addition, his mirror-match. He used Leer, but I had Big Pecks to say screw you to that! I used Growl. Then he used Work Up, but I counteracted with Growl. After another two turns of that, he used Quick Attack for 4 HP. Then he used Work Up again but I used Leer to throw a curveball. After three more Work Up/Growl exchanges, Quick Attack did light as I got him to -2. Another light hit preceded another Leer. We exchanged Quick Attacks ad we were both right near half. Then he propped my Oran Berry, and I fell short. One more exchange and he was done. Faints: 3
  • So I got the Basic Badge and TM83 for Work Up. He talked about his past adventures a bit, and so did Bianca as I made my way outside. Cheren followed me out, and after some talk, I was given the Xtransceiver. Juniper found our numbers, and pointed at me to enjoy exploring with Pokémon… Even though y’all literally pulled me in to help you knuckleheads complete the Pokédex. Can I just have fun?
  • Anyway, Turner showed up, but wasn’t pleased by Cheren’s apparent lack of confidence, and took after him. That left me free to press on!
:tepig: (F) "Porkler", Level 13
Stats: 40, 24, 18, 20, 20, 16
Moves: Defense Curl, Ember, Tackle, Tail Whip

:purrloin: (F) "Bandina", Level 11
Stats: 32, 17, 15, 18, +15, -17
Assist, Growl, Sand-Attack, Scratch
Number of times fainted: 3 (Youngster Petey's Patrat, critical hit from a wild Lillipup while at 14 HP, Cheren's Lillipup)

:sewaddle: (F) "Thread", Level 11
Stats: 33, 18, 22, -11, 19, +16
Number of times fainted: 1 (Cheren's Lillipup)

:pidove: (M) "Sparrow", Level 12
Stats: 36, 18, +22, 15, -11, 16
Moves: Growl, Gust, Leer, Quick Attack

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 11
Stats: 32, 18, 17, 21, 17, 17
Moves: Disable, Scratch, Tail Whip, Water Gun
Number of times fainted: 1 (Cheren's Patrat)

Basic Badge: Obtained in Part 2 / Pokémon used: :psyduck: :purrloin: :sewaddle: :pidove:

Time: 2:14

So it turns out I didn’t even need Tepig with Defense Curl for Cheren after all. I was prepared to use that only if I had to. But I’m glad I was able to make this more of a team effort! Marriland wasn’t kidding though when he said Cheren is super happy with critical hits! You can argue I kinda deserved it for using Attack reduction, but whatever. Anyway, I’ll be able to get a certain OTHER Pokémon up ahead… One I’m certainly looking forward to getting. All that said, thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Alright, time to share more! Enjoy.

• Having bested Cheren, I had the next city to make my way to. On the way, Bianca had an enhancement for the Pokédex, the Habitat List. Funny how you have to say no to her question to make her go on…
  • Taking it from there, I went back to Route 20, where a Hiker wanted to show me some stuff… But his ego got in the way and his Riolu was easily bested. After he stepped aside, I was free to head down, where Cheren and Turner showed up and gave me some Pecha Berries. And wanted me to back them. Argh, I'm a pirate, the rules don't apply to me!
  • Now that I had the chance, I went on to catch that Pokémon. Yes, the one… VENIPEDE!!! I named it Rammerbug and wasted no time in making it a full-fledged team member. I dealt with the trainers, and most of them were easy enough, but that infamous Nursery Aide with the Dunsparce was a little tough, even while lowering her stats. Bandina was unable to keep up, but it did grant my new addition some decent EXP. Faints: 1
  • With that, we were in Virbank City. After a brief call talking about the area, we encountered Roxie, who got heated over her dad's desire to be a ship captain and a movie star. They went their separate directions. Did he say…a ship captain? That's right up mine! ARRRRRRRGH!!!
  • In Virbank, there were a couple things of interest, including the Silk Scarf down a long narrow path. And a Roughneck who wanted to trade a Great Ball for my Poké Ball… Sure, if being ripped off is your thing… I think that's where I'm gonna leave this off.
:tepig: (F) "Porkler", Level 13
Stats: 40, 24, 18, 20, 20, 16
Moves: Defense Curl, Ember, Tackle, Tail Whip

:purrloin: (F) "Bandina", Level 11
Stats: 32, 17, 15, 18, +15, -17
Assist, Growl, Sand-Attack, Scratch
Number of times fainted: 4 (Youngster Petey's Patrat, critical hit from a wild Lillipup while at 14 HP, Cheren's Lillipup, Nursery Aide Kimya's Dunsparce)

:sewaddle: (F) "Thread", Level 12
Stats: 36, 19, 24, -12, 21, +17
Number of times fainted: 1 (Cheren's Lillipup)

:pidove: (M) "Sparrow", Level 12
Stats: 36, 18, +22, 15, -11, 16
Moves: Growl, Gust, Leer, Quick Attack

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 12
Stats: 34, 19, 18, 22, 18, 19
Moves: Disable, Scratch, Tail Whip, Water Gun
Number of times fainted: 1 (Cheren's Patrat)

:venipede: (M) "Rammerbug", Level 12
Stats: 31, 18, 20, -13, +16, 19
Ability: Poison Point
Moves: Defense Curl, Poison Sting, Rollout, Screech

Basic Badge: Obtained in Part 2 / Pokémon used: :psyduck: :purrloin: :sewaddle: :pidove:

Time: 2:36

Sorry for the short update, but I should get into more of a habit of posting these. But anyways now I have a full team, and you'll see how they fare up ahead against the trainers at the Complex. And Roxie, too. Thanks for reading!

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Cheren apparently does NOT like Growl. 2 crits? That's just mean!
Nice and on the Venipede! Scolipede is going to be a great team member! Especially Jolly!

Poor Purrloin, though. It's been through the ringer.

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Thanks for checking in here! And the Venipede is actually Careful but it's still good. I'll always take one of those! And it wouldn't be the FIRST time I've dealt with Cheren and critical hits, either. And safe to say Purrloin isn't likely to last in the long term. Will it? You'll have to find out. For now, onto the next part! Enjoy.
  • Now underway in Virbank City, I made my way into the complex. The first thing there was the ranch owner, who wanted me to round up some Workers. Your wish is my command!
  • We dealt with some Normal-types that were easy enough, and I picked up TM46 for Thief. And a Woobat dealt a little more trouble than I would've expected. As for the three Workers, one had a duo was perfect for Wizzybeak. And an Elekid. And a Riolu that Porkler handled fine, but after I accidentally misclicked on Defense Curl against his Lillipup, he scored a critical hit to KO from half. Like, come on, bro. Once he was done, I got TM94 for Rock Smash from the ranch owner. Also, one of the guys there wanted to impress Roxie. Well, why don't you face her and try that yourself? Faints: 1
  • I then got to training. I got everyone to Level 15, hoping that would be sufficient. Then we entered the Gym, where Roxie's band members were jamming, but I silenced them handily enough.
  • Them it was time for Roxie herself. "Get ready! I'm gonna knock some sense outta ya!" Uh, doesn't that mean your gonna make me dumber? Wow, I must have pissed you off good. Anyway… Let's goooooooooo!!!!!!!
  • :koffing: As she started with Koffing, I opened with Thread. Venoshock almost OHKO'd, but I lived and used Bug Bite to steal her Oran Berry before she finished me the next turn. I brought in Wizzybeak to Disable it, causing her turn to fail, and Confusion did half her remaining health, before her Tackle did under 1/3 of mine. Another hit finished her. / :grimer: Grimer, her Challenge Mode addition, was next, and anticipating Disable, I used Water Gun, which hit light - and I was right, she used Disable to keep me from using Water Gun. Confusion did alright, but she used Poison Gas to poison me. Trying to keep her out of healing range, I used Tail Whip before her Venoshock finished me. I then used Rammerbug, and used Defense Curl which was then disabled, and Rollout hit alright before she used a light Venoshock… And I missed. She used it again, and I got in a Screech, then after one more hit, Rollout finished her. / :whirlipede: Whirlipede was last, and used Protect to block Rollout. Then she used it herself, which almost finished me, but I narrowly survived and used Screech to cut her Defense. After another hit, I used Bandina, who managed to hang on to live the third hit and use Sand-Attack to cut her accuracy, but she still hit through that to KO both her and Sparrow. With just Porkler left, I brought her in… And she missed with Venoshock! Flame Charge hit big, but Poison Point activated, and propped her Sitrus Berry. I was faster, and another Flame Charge…got the KO for the win. And Porkler grew to Level 17, and evolved into Pignite.
  • So after she punched herself out, she commended me and gave me the Toxic Badge, and TM09 for Venoshock. Soon after, a yellow haired dude came out and wanted me to come to Pokéstar Studios… Which reminded Roxie to get back to helping the captain! You sure you don't want to let me take over for him? Haha, that's where I'll leave this off.
:pignite: (F) "Porkler", Level 17
Stats: 58, 40, 26, 33, 28, 24
Moves: Arm Thrust, Ember, Flame Charge, Tail Whip
Number of times fainted: 1 (Critical hit from Worker Nathan's Lillipup)

:purrloin: (F) "Bandina", Level 15
Stats: 41, 22, 19, 23, +18, -21
Growl, Pursuit, Sand-Attack, Scratch
Number of times fainted: 4 (Youngster Petey's Patrat, critical hit from a wild Lillipup while at 14 HP, Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Whirlipede)

:sewaddle: (F) "Thread", Level 15
Stats: 42, 23, 28, -15, 25, +19
Moves: Bug Bite, Tackle, Razor Leaf, String Shot
Number of times fainted: 2 (Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Koffing)

:pidove: (M) "Sparrow", Level 15
Stats: 43, 21, +26, 18, -13, 19
Moves: Air Cutter, Growl, Leer, Quick Attack
Number of times fainted: 1 (Roxie's Whirlipede)

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 16
Stats: 42, 24, 23, 28, 23, 23
Moves: Confusion, Disable, Tail Whip, Water Gun
Number of times fainted: 2 (Cheren's Patrat, Roxie's Grimer)

:venipede: (M) "Rammerbug", Level 15
Stats: 37, 21, 23, -16, +19, 23

Toxic Badge: Obtained in Part 4 / Pokémon used: :sewaddle: :psyduck: :venipede: :purrloin: :pidove: :tepig:

Time: 3:32

So I did kinda get a taste of some unexpected strength in the Complex, but Roxie certainly put up a fight. I wasn't at all surprised by that, it did become a nail-biter, especially when that Whirlipede came out. But I didn't want to evolve Porkler into Pignite and make it anticlimactic. I got lucky having Rammerbug live a hit to half her Defense, especially since I missed a Screech prior. But it all worked out and made it more exciting. Onto the next part soon!
Also, you guys may notice I haven't posted anything of my Platinum Egyptian Era challenge yet. I've been meaning to but just haven't had much of a notice with this going on too and the fact that I'm playing MANY Pokémon games all at once. But I will try to get that out at some point. Thanks for reading!

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
I think this next part is due now. Enjoy.
  • With Roxie done and over with, I had to take to Pokéstar Studios. We got to see Pop Roxie's new movie, which was shown on a special screen… And played as a character who was a total coward. I got the chance to replay it myself, except doing it RIGHT. And I got some Lemonades and an endorsement for my troubles.
  • Upon my return to Virbank, Roxie was dealing with Team Plasma, and so was Turner, who was NOT swayed by their words. I dealt with a Grunt who proved simple enough. As they fled, Roxie gave me HM01 for Cut, and Turner and I took to Route 20 to follow them down. The other grunt hates when people won't let things go… Quite frankly, in this case, why would I? She didn't take long.
  • After we returned to Virbank, Roxie was talking to Pop, saying she thought his movie was pretty good. Uh, Roxie, did we watch the same thing? Because a movie about a coward is pretty boring. But he was proud to take us on his ship, off to Castelia City!
  • After exchanging numbers with Turner, I received a Bicycle from a Harlequin. Gotta love the big city and their campaign!
  • It wasn't long before I went up north past city's end, and after meeting with Bianca and getting the Dowsing Machine from her, we were on Route 4. While there, I picked up a new Pokémon: a Sandile named Rochaye. I wasted no time adding her to the party. Lol, letting Purrloin have it and then dropping it. Who am I?
  • There was lots to check out in Castelia City, though. Amanita, the PC designer, multiple Harlequins who had me getting a Rare Candy, the Exp. Share, the Amulet Coin, and a weird dude I'm back who popped out of nowhere to give me TM70 for Flash. In a Café, the server gave me a Moomoo Milk, and another man on black talked about he after a long time returned home and embraced his mother in tears. Wow, that's deep. My god, when this quarantine subsides will all the happy stories come in sooner? Or later?
  • After most else was done, we took to the Battle Company. It wasn't long before we started to get in some craziness, as the second Clerk outmatched Sparrow with his mirror match. He needs better physical moves, so I taught him Return. After going back to heal, I opted to turn to Rammerbug for a Clerk with a Marill. I used Screech in the face of his Defense Curl, then I used mine, but he had Rollout! Intending to get in a quick Poison Sting, I accidentally misclicked on Rollout… Which did alright. But his second hit triggered Poison Point, which got him to half and allowed the second hit to get the KO. Faints: 1
  • I decided not to heal up Rammerbug, and after Porkler handled a female Clerk with a Budew, we took the elevator upwards to face the strongest trainer in the building… A janitor's grandson. Hiring him as your heir apparent? I led off with Thread, and his Eevee used Tail Whip twice as two hits of Bug Bite got him near half. After a Quick Attack that dealt just above half, I got him low, but had to bring in Sparrow. Who took two Quick Attacks before I finished him with Return. Then the Herdier came out and wasted no time finishing it off with Tackle. I brought in Thread once again, narrowly survived a hit, and used String Shot to cut his Speed and a quick hit before he finished me. Wizzybeak got in a Tall Whip, and another hit before peacing out. Porkler did the honors, with a critical hit no less. Faints: 3
  • I also popped into the Game Freak building. Morimoto, the Game Freak designer, was in the building, and he wasn't tough. Thread and Wizzybeak kinda destroyed him. After was Nishino, who's apparently a Hiker, and I also managed easily enough.
  • Then I took back to Route 4. The first guy there, a Backpacker, wasted no time in getting brash as his Sandile OHKO'd Wizzybeak with a critical hit Bite, which kinda sums up this part in a nutshell. And while Thread handled it, his Herdier had Sand Rush, so he wasn't slow. She didn't last there. Then we had the everlasting spawn that was Pokémon Breeder Irene. Rochaye 2HKO'd her Drilbur with Bite, but was dealt a Mud-Slap. While she flinched her Marill with Bite, that was all for nothing as she missed the second turn and was finished with BubbleBeam. Faints: 3
  • After going back to heal up, there were still two Fishermen left. The first guy… His Basculin was resilient. Thread's Razor Leaf didn't 2HKO this thing, even with the sandstorm. I switched in Wizzybeak, who had the Exp. Share… But Cloud Nine prevented the sandstorm from finishing him. Yet he beat me to the punch, but that allowed the sandstorm to finish him. And get Thread over 1000 EXP and get to Level 18… So I decided not to use her for the second guy. After lazily using my Revive on Wizzybeak, I used him against his mirror-match, which was won in a game of Disable and Water Gun despite my lower levels. I switched in Porkler for his Basculin, and she got in a Rock Smash and had him just below half before his Aqua Jet picked me off. I brought in Rochaye, and he could've used Aqua Jet to destroy her, but he was lazy and used Bite, which flinched me, then Headbutt, allowing me to finish him. Faints: 2
  • Wow, I really went in detail there, didn't I? After all those strenuous battles, I think this is a good spot to leave it off.
:pignite: (F) "Porkler", Level 18
Stats: 61, 43, 28, 35, 30, 25
Moves: Ember, Flame Charge, Rock Smash, Tail Whip
Number of times fainted: 2 (Critical hit from Worker Nathan's Lillipup, Fisherman Andrew's Basculin)

:sewaddle: (F) "Thread", Level 18
Stats: 49, 27, 33, -17, 29, +23
Number of times fainted: 4 (Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Koffing, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Herdier)

:pidove: (M) "Sparrow", Level 18
Stats: 50, 25, +30, 21, -15, 21
Moves: Air Cutter, Quick Attack, Return, Roost
Number of times fainted: 3 (Roxie's Whirlipede, Clerk Gilligan's Pidove, School Kid Neil's Herdier)

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 18
Stats: 46, 27, 25, 31, 25, 26
Moves: Confusion, Disable, Tail Whip, Water Pulse
Number of times fainted: 5 (Cheren's Patrat, Roxie's Grimer, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Sandile, Fisherman Hubert's Basculin)

:venipede: (M) "Rammerbug", Level 17
Stats: 41, 24, 26, -18 +22, 25

:sandile: (F) "Rochaye", Level 17
Stats: 44, 29, -18, 19, +20, 28
Ability: Moxie
Moves: Bite, Sand-Attack, Sand Tomb, Torment
Number of times fainted: 1 (Pokémon Breeder Irene's Marill)

Notable Pokémon in storage:
Number of times fainted: 4 (Youngster Petey's Patrat, critical hit from a wild Lillipup while at 14 HP, Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Whirlipede)

Toxic Badge: Obtained in Part 4 / Pokémon used: :sewaddle: :psyduck: :venipede: :purrloin: :pidove: :tepig:

Time: 4:55

Well, these trainers kinda threw me for a curve. Having played this game on Challenge Mode multiple times, sometimes these trainers don't do that much, but this time there was carnage. With a lot of high levels, it's easy to fall behind, especially if you don't take the time to grind up. But I don't mind it. Will Burgh prove this difficult? We'll fund out next time. Thanks for reading!

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Oof that Janitor really Cleaned up.
I'm sorry. That was terrible lol.
But really, that was no bueno. I never played through Challenge mode in Black/White 2, but its certainly living up to its name so far.

Oh man. Polestar studios. I really wish that were better. I love the idea of making movies, having different outfits (the Male's casual outfit is one I really wish they'd bring back. It was cute.), but it was so inconsequential, and everything went by too slowly. You had to make the movie, then watch it. If they streamlined it, it would be much more interesting.

But at least there's the tree to the top right that has the properties of the water tiles next to it. I spent way too much time just surfing on that tree lol.

Vivid Stardust

~ Like Stars In The Sky ~
AKA
Vivid, Apollo
Reading that Cheren battle gave me flashbacks to “I Won’t Wait For ‘Someday’!”, man...At least you’re not doing a Nuzlocke (which is smart, because they’re hard!); you would have lost several times over if that was the case.

I think you’ll be able to handle Burgh just fine; Sparrow and Porkler should be able to handle most of his team. Good luck with the rest of the run!

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
@Gokudera Well, not the janitor himself, his grandson, haha. But some Challenge Mode runs of this game have proved difficult for me, some haven't. This threw me for a curve, alright! As for Pokestar, while the whole process did feel a little bogged, I still enjoyed it myself on my initial play of the game. Don't think I ever surfed on that tree though :P

@Vivid Stardust Yeah, I'm certainly thankful this wasn't a Nuzlocke, because if it was, dear goodness. As for Burgh? You'll find out right now.

So we're on for more! Enjoy.
  • With just about everything done in Castelia City for me to do, there was but one matter left: the Gym! Clyde was at the entrance and talked about how the Gym Leader had headed towards the sewers. Iris was right behind, and caught onto that! Y'know, if he's always disappearing from the Gym with artist's block, maybe something should be done about that?
  • As far as the trainers in the sewers went, they weren’t that tough. Some of them inflicted some damage, but I had the right typings for most of them and others decided to be dumb. I did find the Leftovers, though, which was essential.
  • But eventually we found Team Plasma. Turner wasn’t having their talk. Porkler handled their pair of Dark-types before they fled. As we were about to take street them, Burgh appeared out of nowhere and invited me back to the Gym. Turner appreciated my help and I got HM04 for Strength from him. Then suddenly some wired guy talked about my Pokémon's strength and Team Plasma… Huh. So, I was free to go about!
  • I went on into the Relic Passage. As far as the three trainers there went, they did prove a bit cumbersome but they weren't super rough.
  • As we left, Iris noticed that Turner seemed upset after leaving the streets, but that wasn't her concern and suggested me take back to the Gym. I had that intention…
  • …But first there was an order of business I wanted to go with! Going into the garden, there was a Pokémon I could pick up there. That's right… Eevee! I did get my hands on one with a Docile nature, and did what was necessary to evolve it into Umbreon. So I have a Synchronizer now! But it's not going to be a long term team member. I put it back in the box for now.
  • All that was remaining was the Gym itself. I tried to get even chances for everyone to fight, and did just enough to get both Thread and Sparrow to evolve into Swadloon and Tranquill respectively. Two of my team members were still under Level 20, though. But that didn't stop me from going in for the Gym Leader, Burgh. He wanted to talk about his Bug Pokémon, and after that, it was time for battle!
  • :dwebble: As he began with Dwebble, I started with Wizzybeak. Faint Attack did almost half, as Water Pulse did over half and propped his Sitrus Berry. He used it again, and I lived with 5 HP and Water Pulse got the KO. / :leavanny: Leavanny was next, unsurprisingly, and KO'd with Aerial Ace. I brought in Thread, hoping to live an Aerial Ace and maybe cripple him… Nope. I then turned to Sparrow, and as he missed with GrassWhistle, Aerial Ace scored a critical hit for the OHKO. / :karrablast Karrablast came next, and I brought in Porkler, who took a Headbutt for 1/5. Aerial Ace hit harder though, but did under half my remaining health. Flame Charge hit big and boosted Speed. He wasted time with Endure but was soon finished. / :shelmet: Shelmet was last, and I used Ember for a little under half, as he used Curse. I switched for Rammerbug, who had the Exp. Share, as he used it again. I used Screech and he was left with +1 Defense… Then I used it again and he got itself to its normal stage. I used Rollout, and he used Curse, then Acid, but I missed the third hit as he used Struggle Bug. After a few more turns, he was done… But even with the Exp. Share, Rammerbug did NOT reach Level 22.
  • With that, I got the Insect Badge and TM76 for Struggle Big, which is only 30 power in this game. Eh. That'll do it for this one.
So, I forgot to take pics of the stats screen for this one, so I won't have those this update. They'll be back next time, though. They're not far off from what they were last part, so it's not a huge difference.

:pignite: (F) "Porkler", Level 21
Number of times fainted: 2 (Critical hit from Worker Nathan's Lillipup, Fisherman Andrew's Basculin)

:swadloon: (F) "Thread", Level 20
Number of times fainted: 5 (Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Koffing, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Herdier, Burgh's Leavanny)

:tranquill: (M) "Sparrow", Level 22
Number of times fainted: 3 (Roxie's Whirlipede, Clerk Gilligan's Pidove, School Kid Neil's Herdier)

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 19
Number of times fainted: 6 (Cheren's Patrat, Roxie's Grimer, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Sandile, Fisherman Hubert's Basculin, Burgh's Leavanny)

:venipede: (M) "Rammerbug", Level 21

:sandile: (F) "Rochaye", Level 19
Moves: Bite, Mud-Slap, Sand Tomb, Torment
Number of times fainted: 1 (Pokémon Breeder Irene's Marill)

Notable Pokémon in storage:

:umbreon: (M) "Revolver", Level 20
Stats: 68, 32, 49, 29, 58, 34

Insect Badge: Obtained in Part 6 / Pokémon used: :psyduck: :swadloon: :tranquill: :pignite: :venipede:

Time: 6:43

With another Gym battle done, I'm sure the next area is likely to put up more challenge too. I wanted to make sure I had Tranquill ready to take on Leavanny with, but the court Air Cutter OHKO was unrecorded. It could've been a little more interesting had that not happened. I had the Chesto Berry ready for Grass Whistle, but it turned out to be the best case scenario. Anyhow, we've got some strong foes up ahead, so we'll start to get to them next time. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Let's get on with more, how about it? Enjoy.
  • With everything in Castelia City done and taken care of, I went on towards Route 4 again. But then we ran into the same weird headed dude from the sewers, who wanted to look at my Pokémon. He talked about Wizzybeak and how she is a more competent specimen than other Psyduck, and introduced himself as Colress, and talked about bringing out the power of Pokémon. I followed him to Route 4, where he used the Colress Machine to eradicate some Crustle, and talked about how he disagrees with Team Plasma and has his own idea. It was time for battle!
  • As he opened with Magnemite, I began with Rochaye. Sand Tomb unfortunately missed the first turn, and Magnet Bomb did just under half. I hit the second turn though, and after he got me just near KO it got him to heal up and was finished within two more turns. Klink took another hit before finishing me, though. Porkler finished him. Faints: 1
  • He gave me a Protein, lauded my handling of Pokémon, and left me free to go about. I started to go through the trainers, but stopped after a few so I could continue on, because there was a Pokémon up ahead I wanted to get. There was a Darumaka that hit a little hard but it was bested. Rammerbug evolved into Whirlipede so there was that!
  • So we progressed up to Join Avenue, where the clerk there was having a hard time wondering what to do with his fancy venue… Sure, give it to some teenager you just met! That won’t end badly AT ALL! Anyway… What would I say to introduce someone? That’s quite simple, actually. It me. As in, the greatest mascot in human existence. And what do I say when I’m truly moved? Ya nerds! And you shall refer to me only as Gritty! If they had ten spots for the phrases I’d put in “Eat up bud”, but with only eight characters it wouldn't have looked as snazzy with no spacing. You know, fun story - I heard about how there was a game with no fans and there were more technicals because you could hear the players cussing out. I’ll say, if there are games with no fans, I’m all for hearing the bickering. TK knows how to chirp! THEY’LL BE ABOUT FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE!!! Well, not anymore, because Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection has been dead for six years now. Even so, it’s still fun. Goodness do I miss my hockey…
  • Oh, yeah, in the hilarity of all of that, I forgot I was playing a Pokémon game here. So after I was done there, I arrived in Nimbasa City. However, I didn't waste much time in depositing both Rochaye and Thread, as before doing anything else, I wanted to get my next team member. With three badges in hand, I can now get any Grass-types to use in battle. I went through Route 16 and snuck by the trainers to get to the Lostlorn Forest. Side note, this is one of the best areas in the game for Nuzlockers. Everything here except male Combee is great. I remember Marriland's Black 2 Wedlocke way back in 2014 where he had the terrible misfortune of finding a male Combee here. Ultra oof. Anyway, I found the Roselia I was looking for, and caught it with a Quick Ball. I named it Flourini.
  • With that, it was time to say goodbye to Thread. With my team in desperate need of strong special attacking firepower, Roselia is the much preferred choice. Tangela might be even better later on, though.
  • I took back to Route 4 to continue to deal with the trainers. The one that hit the hardest by far was Rich Boy Keenan, whose Herdier did over half to Wizzybeak with Take Down, I did around half with Water Pulse, and he used… Work Up? Yet he lived another hit and finished me. He used Work Up again against Rochaye and basically just rolled over. Other than that, it wasn’t too nasty here. I got TM28 for Dig, too. Faints: 1
  • Then we had the Desert Resort. Things got a little wild here. Also, I like how the description of the area says it’s “too harsh to be a resort” yet it’s still called one. For the trainers, we had a Pokémon Ranger whose Darumaka could’ve 2HKO’d Porkler had it not been for a miss thanks to Hustle. And we had a Backpacker, where I had Rammerbug in front, and his Dwebble out-bugged me. Wizzybeak finished him. Faints: 1
  • As for the Relic Castle, the only thing of substance was a Sigilyph that would've 2HKO'd Rochaye had he used Air Cutter twice instead of using Light Screen. I got Rock Tomb in there.
  • Oh yeah, I also went through the bit on Hidden Grottos with Bianca. Now I can access the breeder who gives the EV-reducing berries. That's where I'm gonna leave this one off.
:pignite: (F) "Porkler", Level 23
Stats: 76, 53, 34, 44, 36, 31

:tranquill: (M) "Sparrow", Level 22
Stats: 64, 39, +42, 30, -23, 35

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 23
Stats: 56, 33, 31, 39, 31, 32

:whirlipede: (M) "Rammerbug", Level 23
Stats: 57, 36, 52, -27, +48, 28
Moves: Bug Bite, Iron Defense, Poison Tail, Screech

:sandile: (F) "Rochaye", Level 24
Stats: 59, 40, -23, 25, +27, 39
Moves: Bite, Dig, Mud-Slap, Sand Tomb

:roselia: (M) "Flourini", Level 23
Stats: 56, 39, 31, 56, 43, 36
Ability: Natural Cure
Moves: GrassWhistle, Leech Seed, Magical Leaf, Mega Drain

Storage:

:swadloon: (F) "Thread", Level 20
Stats: 57, 33, 45, -22, 39, +25

Number of times fainted:
:pignite: Porkler: 2 – Critical hit from Worker Nathan's Lillipup, Fisherman Andrew's Basculin
:purrloin: Bandina: 4 – Youngster Petey's Patrat, critical hit from a wild Lillipup while at 14 HP, Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Whirlipede
:swadloon: Thread: 5 – Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Koffing, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Herdier, Burgh's Leavanny
:tranquill: Sparrow: 3 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Clerk Gilligan's Pidove, School Kid Neil's Herdier
:psyduck: Wizzybeak: 7 – Cheren's Patrat, Roxie's Grimer, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Sandile, Fisherman Hubert's Basculin, Burgh's Leavanny, Rich Boy Keenan's Herdier
:whirlipede: Rammerbug: 2 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Backpacker Sam's Dwebble
:sandile: Rochaye: 2 – Pokémon Breeder Irene's Marill, Colress' Klink

Insect Badge: Obtained in Part 6 / Pokémon used: :psyduck: :swadloon: :tranquill: :pignite: :venipede:

Time: 8:04

That desert area can be a little much, but it still does feel like the game ramps it up here. Although I may have left Thread behind, I might bring her back for Elesa, and maybe train Revolver up some, considering Sparrow and especially Wizzybeak will be useless against her. Also, speaking of Sparrow, I noticed that I didn't use him once this part. That's what happens when you singlehandedly beat a Level 26 Leavanny for over 2K EXP and become the highest level on the team. I'm excited about Roselia, too. Anyway, we may not have gotten that much done here, but the next part will certainly be eventful. Thanks for reading, ya nerds!

Last edited:

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I didn't understand that reference before, but I looked it up and now it makes total sense lol.
(I miss it too. My brother, dad, and I were supposed to see a Pens game in North Carolina last month, but that obviously didn't pan out. But theres a Slim chance the game might be still be played since its Divisional)

As much as I love Leavanny's design, I absolutely agree with going for Roselia. It's a much better pokemon overall. And it can evolve.
Colress is a really interesting character. I just wish he had more of a role in the games.

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Haha, I wouldn't expect most to get it right away either! Yeah it is unfortunate that the pandemic has cut short a lot of plans, but time will determine how it'll turn out in the end. I remember when we played the Caps for the final time like a week before this all blew over, one person called into our talk radio station from DC as he was preparing for the game. One day I'll see that arena for myself! (In the meantime, in football world, the Battle of Pennsylvania comes in October! Wonder if any fans will be allowed then…)
As for Roselia, I like it more and I did want an old Pokémon in there, and again I needed the special attacker. And Colress was a different kind of character but the game does kinda make his implications a little unclear… Until the post-game, that is.

That aside, time for more! Enjoy.
  • So with a tough Gym Leader up ahead, there was much to consider. And the first step to preparing for her…was repeatedly getting the EV-reducing berries every day I could remember to. I also went back to Lostlorn Forest and managed to find a Pinsir that I named Slicer. It's not likely that it'll be used much (if at all) but it's still pretty strong.
  • I also taught Fly, which I got HM02 from Bianca for last part but didn't mention that, to Sparrow so he can have a good physical Flying-type attack.
  • One order of business I decided to settle for is joining Rosa to take on the Subway Bosses. As I used Sparrow alongside her Servine, I used Fly as she used Leaf Tornado on Gurdurr for not much. I landed and still fell short of the KO and Rosa used Leaf Tornado on Boldore. Sparrow was then ganged up on and KO'd. After they were finished, they went back into the Battle Subway, and Rosa suggested they were holding back, but I wouldn't quite agree. She gave me the Vs Recorder. Faints: 1
  • Since Wizzybeak is going to be dead weight in the coming Gym, I decided to put him back for right now and bring back Thread. (Also, did I call Wizzybeak a she at one point? Brain fart.) I decided to peek into Small Court and there were some basketball players! Quickly in we were jumped by a Level 28 Whirlipede! I had the right tools for that, but then we dealt with a Level 27 Herdier. It used Work Up twice and scored a critical hit to OHKO Rammerbug… But it got the Poison Point, and Thread had Protect, so she was able to finish it. She gained two levels from it. After his Roggenrola was done, Thread evolved into Leavanny. Faints: 1
  • Obviously we had business to take care of, so we took to Route 16. The first trainer had a Drilbur that was pretty easy, but then we faced two Backers with a pair of Scraggy. I used my two Bug-types, but not even a critical hit with Razor Leaf on one of them could stop them from ganging up on Thread with Payback. Even with Rammerbug trying to even them out, Razor Leaf still fell short on both of them, and they finished Thread but Porkler finished them. I bounced some chick's Whirlipede and then a dude's Watchog, though it came very close to beating Sparrow with confusion and Super Fang shenanigans. Faints: 1
  • Next up was the Lostlorn Forest! I used Rammerbug against the breeder's Tranquill, weird as it looks, as to not overuse Sparrow. It didn't quite work out as three hits KO'd me. Rochaye finished that. We also had a Pokémon Ranger with a Trubbish, and after Leech Seed from Flourini was followed by several failed attempts to use GrassWhistle, I tried Thread, who was slightly weakened from the breeder's Liepard, and tried to finish it, but once again came a sliver off. After that was done, the last trainer had an Emolga that tried to be cheeky with Double Team but after evading a few shots of Flourini's Leech Seed it was sapped then Magical Leaf shooed it off. Faints: 2
  • I also ran into a Foongus in the Hidden Grotto. It has Regenerator as its ability, so I thought hey, I have nothing to lose. So I caught it and named it Popup. Unfortunately, it has a Careful nature, which I'm not huge about, but it is there.
  • I swapped Wizzybeak back in for Rochaye before Route 5, just to make sure he didn't fall TOO behind. I also grabbed that Pinsir I just caught and slapped Cut and Strength on it, which allowed me to deal with one last trainer I missed. She had a Liepard that wasn't tough.
  • As for Route 5, we had a Baker, who was easy, and a Dancer with a Scraggy that Wizzybeak scored a critical hit for well over half but used Swagger. He still managed. But we also had an Artist with a strong Sigilyph! Of course this had to happen after I put my Dark-type away… He hit big on Wizzybeak, and Light Screen was no help there. I was prepared to sack off Thread, but he used Whirlwind of all things. Ultimately, Flourini was the one to bite it. Sparrow took over to beat it. We also had a Pokémon Ranger who spoke of an "electrifying" battle… Yet she used a Budew and Roselia? She was beaten handily. We also had two Backers with two Minccino that actually hit rather hard. Faints: 1
  • Going to the Big Stadium, we had more EXP to get. The first Linebacker had a Darumaka up front, which was unfavorable for Rammerbug, so I switched in Wizzybeak, who was met with a Fire Punch for half and a burn. Water Pulse hit good, but not enough for the KO, and it finished me. Rochaye finished it and Rammerbug beat his Timburr. We had two more Timburr that were handled accordingly, and a Dwebble that proved more of a problem than expected but still nobody fainted to it. We did the same Small Court Business too. Faints: 1
  • I healed up and grabbed Flourini again. This has actually gone on long enough, and Elesa will be convoluted (more on that in the blurb), so I'm gonna leave it off here.
:pignite: (F) "Porkler", Level 27
Stats: 88, 62, 40, 51, 42, 35

:leavanny: (F) "Thread", Level 25
Stats: 79, 61, 50, -36, 43, +58
Moves: Bug Bite, Protect, Razor Leaf, String Shot

:tranquill: (M) "Sparrow", Level 26
Stats: 74, 46, +49, 35, -26, 41
Moves: Fly, Quick Attack, Return, Roost

:whirlipede: (M) "Rammerbug", Level 26
Stats: 63, 41, 59, -29, +53, 31

:sandile: (F) "Rochaye", Level 25
Stats: 61, 42, -24, 26, +28, 40
Moves: Bite, Dig, Mud-Slap, Swagger

:roselia: (M) "Flourini", Level 25
Stats: 61, 42, 33, 61, 46, 39
Moves: Giga Drain, Leech Seed, Magical Leaf, Venoshock

Storage:

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 25
Stats: 61, 36, 34, 42, 33, 35

Have not used in battle:
:pinsir: (F) "Slicer", Level 24
:foongus: (M) "Popup", Level 21

Number of times fainted:
:pignite: Porkler: 2 – Critical hit from Worker Nathan's Lillipup, Fisherman Andrew's Basculin
:purrloin: Bandina: 4 – Youngster Petey's Patrat, critical hit from a wild Lillipup while at 14 HP, Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Whirlipede
:swadloon: Thread: 7 – Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Koffing, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Herdier, Burgh's Leavanny, Backers Stu & Art's Scraggy, Pokémon Ranger Serenity's Trubbish
:tranquill: Sparrow: 4 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Clerk Gilligan's Pidove, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Ingo and Emmet's Boldore
:psyduck: Wizzybeak: 8 – Cheren's Patrat, Roxie's Grimer, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Sandile, Fisherman Hubert's Basculin, Burgh's Leavanny, Rich Boy Keenan's Herdier, Linebacker Dan's Darumaka
:whirlipede: Rammerbug: 4 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Backpacker Sam's Dwebble, OHKO'd by a critical hit Take Down from Hoopster John's Herdier at +2 Attack, Pokémon Breeder Galen's Liepard
:sandile: Rochaye: 2 – Pokémon Breeder Irene's Marill, Colress' Klink
:roselia: Flourini: 1 – Artist Horton's Sigilyph

Time: 10:10

Most of the time (including the other two challenges I have threads for here) I'm at least a little ahead of where I've pushed to, but this is one of those times where I've actually posted to the point I've played to. I know without battling Elesa that she is going to be difficult. I'm not sure how I'm gonna beat her without using bag items, because with Aerial Ace on Challenge Mode, her Emolga can super-effective literally everything else I'm using, except Umbreon, who's weak to Bug, which she also has one of. I could train it up further if I'm really not feeling good about this battle. Similarly, evolving Rochaye into Krokorok would make it significantly easier, but would it make it a cakewalk? I might just have to train up Revolver, because it'd probably be of more help than Sparrow will. You'll find out next time how I end up handling it. Thanks for reading!

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Honestly, I think evolving Rochaye is your best bet. It would make things easier, but not overly easy, especially since Emolga checks the rest of your team. She'd be a royal pain if you didn't evolve Rochaye.
But that's just my 2 cents.

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Well, you'll see how that went when we get into it right now! Enjoy.
  • So I had some training to do before taking on Elesa. I did so, and decided I was indeed gonna bust out Revolver for her. He'll certainly be better than Wizzybeak or Sparrow.
  • With most of my team at Level 27 or 28, I was ready to roll. Also, Sparrow did faint once against one of the Infielders who had a mirror-match. His Air Cutter scored a critical hit for almost 2/3 on switch-in, another Air Cutter got me to 2 HP but he used Quick Attack. No matter. I wanted to make sure he and Wizzybeak didn't fall too far behind while they were stowed away for this one. Faints: 1
  • This Gym is really cool. We beat the trainers, who were putting on their dance show, and Elesa was on full display! Did we have what it takes to shine brightest?! Time to find out!
  • :emolga: As she began with Emolga, I started with Rochaye. She used Pursuit of all things for 7 HP as I went for Rock Tomb for 1/4 and lowering her Speed. She then used Aerial Ace for over half my total health, as Rock Tomb got her below half and halved her Speed too but propped her Sitrus Berry. I then missed and was finished with Aerial Ace. I tried Rammerbug, and Aerial Ace did 2/3 and triggered Poison Point while Screech halved her Defense… OR NOT!!! She finished me but was below half. I tried Porkler, who she was still faster than and dealt an UNDESERVED CRITICAL HIT Volt Switch for almost 3/4!!! :flaaffy: Flaaffy came out and promptly took over half from Flame Charge because Blaze. I used it again for the KO, but Static triggered. / :emolga: Emolga immediately finished me. I used Revolver, but she used Volt Switch to Joltik for 1/6 before my Leftovers. :joltik: Faint Attack did alright. I tried Flourini, who was met with Thunder Wave. I got in a Venoshock to keep her just out of healing range as X-Scissor narrowly 2HKO'd. Thread used Bug Bite to finish her. :emolga: Emolga was next, and I had to decide: hope to somehow survive an Aerial Ace or force her to heal? I banked on her surviving. Nope. OHKO'd without a critical hit. With only Revolver left, she healed as I used Faint Attack for not much at all, but poison got her near 2/3. Making an outrageous gamble, I used Dig. And she Volt Switched to Zebstrika!!! :zebstrika: Dig did 1/4, unfortunately but unsurprisingly. She used Volt Switch and scored a critical hit for 2/3 my remaining health, and Emolga took a Faint Attack which triggered Static. After a Volt Switch, I was helpless and quickly finished.
  • So, thoughts… That didn't go the way I hoped it would. Had some rather bad luck that certainly didn't help. But I may not have even been in it at all had she not been dumb on the very first turn. But even with me being down to my last one and her still having both Emolga AND Zebstrika, I'm left feeling that if I had taught Rest to Revolver I probably would've won, but I didn't think too seriously to do that beforehand. Well, I did, but I decided not to at the time.
  • I didn't do a whole lot else to prepare for the next round, besides getting everyone to Level 28. Which got Rochaye to learn Crunch. I also slapped Payback on Revolver, since most of the time he's bound to be going last. We returned to the Gym, where Elesa was awaiting. Take two!
  • :emolga: As she began with Emolga, I once again started with Rochaye. Unfortunately, Aerial Ace did JUST under half as Rock Tomb did over 1/4 and the Speed drop. She then finished me. I brought in Revolver and switched in Flourini, as she used Volt Switch over to Zebstrika. :zebstrika: She used Pursuit, but it did 1/3 my remaining health (so even if she had used Flame Charge, I still would've lived) as I used Toxic Spikes. Then she used Flame Charge for the KO and a Speed boost. I used Revolver, as she used Volt Switch for just under 1/4 and switched in Joltik, :joltik: who was immediately poisoned and took a Payback for 1/4. Leftovers healed me to 5/6 as she took poison damage. I used Porkler, who was met with Thunder Wave, to my disappointment, before poison got her to half. Volt Switch did over 1/3 as she brought in Emolga again, :emolga: who took a nice hit from Flame Charge, but her Sitrus Berry got her to half. I used Revolver, who took a moderate hit from Aerial Ace, and after Leftovers had near 2/3. Volt Switch got me below half as she used Joltik again, :joltik: who took a good hit from Payback, which got her to healing range while Leftovers got me just near half. As she healed, I decided to take the unusual route and use Dig, yet I was faster and she paralyzed me. But between two rounds of poison and Dig, she was out just over half while I had under 2/3. As her X-Scissor got me into the red, I hit through paralysis and used Rest while poison damage got her near 1/3. I tried Rammerbug, who took a weak X-Scissor before she used Volt Switch to get me to half and bring in Emolga, :emolga: who took a Poison Tail to get her to 1/4 then finished me. I used Revolver and took a Volt Switch for 1/4 before Joltik came back in. :joltik: I stayed in and snoozed, while her X-Scissor did half my remaining health before Leftovers got me back to half and poison finished her. / Finally after her first fainted Pokémon, Flaaffy was next and got poisoned. :flaaffy: I woke up and used Rest again, as she used Volt Switch for 1/4 to bring out Zebstrika, :zebstrika: who was poisoned. I had 5/6 and she had 7/8. Stomp did 1/8 before Leftovers. After a Volt Switch to Flaaffy, :flaaffy: I had half and she had 7/8. I decided to wise up, and after waking up, used Dig to avoid a Volt Switch and get above half as she dropped to 3/4. Dig hit to get her to 1/4 before she used Thunder Wave. She used Volt Switch to get me near 1/3 and brought in Zebstrika, :zebstrika: but I got in Rest. Then she fell to 5/8. She decided to get lazy and use Pursuit, which Leftovers healed as poison got her just near half. She used Volt Switch for 1/4 and bringing in Flaaffy again, :flaaffy: who after poison damage I woke up against and finished with Payback. Unfortunately, Static was a thing, too. / :zebstrika: Zebstrika was next, and I switched in Porkler, who was met with Flame Charge. Poison got her to her Sitrus Berry and 5/8. Volt Switch got me to 2 HP… AND I WAS FULLY PARALYZED!!! :emolga: Quick Attack finished me. I used Revolver, and hoping to get clever, I switched to Thread for the first time this whole battle, as she used Volt Switch for 1/8 to Zebstrika. :zebstrika: I used Protect to block a Flame Charge and deal her some poison down to 3/8. She used Flame Charge… Which I lived with 15 HP and Bug Bite SCORED A CRITICAL HIT FOR THE KO!!! (Disclaimer: The crit didn't seriously matter, because even if she had lived, poison would've finished her off, especially since I had Protect.) / :emolga: Emolga was last, and Aerial Ace got the KO. With just Revolver, I just had to get in a Payback… Which I did after a light Volt Switch, ending the battle.
  • Finally after all of that, I received the Bolt Badge along with TM72 for Volt Switch, which won't be of any use here since I can't catch Electric-types. She then took me down the runway with her lady friends, and I was admired by them. After this super tough battle I've earned it, darn it!
  • So I healed up, and after such an intense battle, this would be a good spot to leave it off.
:pignite: (F) "Porkler", Level 28
Stats: 90, 64, 41, 53, 43, 36

:leavanny: (F) "Thread", Level 28
Stats: 88, 68, 55, -39, 48, +64
Moves: Bug Bite, Protect, Razor Leaf, String Shot

:whirlipede: (M) "Rammerbug", Level 28
Stats: 67, 44, 63, -32, 57, -33

:umbreon: (M) "Revolver", Level 29
Stats: 95, 44, 69, 40, 83, 48
Moves: Growl, Payback, Screech, Rest

:sandile: (F) "Rochaye", Level 28
Stats: 67, 47, -27, 29, +31, 45
Moves: Crunch, Dig, Mud-Slap, Rock Tomb

:roselia: (M) "Flourini", Level 25
Stats: 67, 47, 37, 67, 51, 44
Moves: Giga Drain, Magical Leaf, Toxic Spikes, Venoshock

Storage:

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 25
Stats: 61, 36, 34, 42, 33, 35

:tranquill: (M) "Sparrow", Level 26
Stats: 74, 46, +49, 35, -26, 41

Have not used in battle:

Number of times fainted:
:pignite: Porkler: 4 – Critical hit from Worker Nathan's Lillipup, Fisherman Andrew's Basculin, Elesa's Emolga (twice)
:leavanny: Thread: 9 – Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Koffing, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Herdier, Burgh's Leavanny, Backers Stu & Art's Scraggy, Pokémon Ranger Serenity's Trubbish, Elesa's Emolga (twice)
:tranquill: Sparrow: 5 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Clerk Gilligan's Pidove, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Ingo and Emmet's Boldore, Infielder Connor's Tranquill
:psyduck: Wizzybeak: 8 – Cheren's Patrat, Roxie's Grimer, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Sandile, Fisherman Hubert's Basculin, Burgh's Leavanny, Rich Boy Keenan's Herdier, Linebacker Dan's Darumaka
:whirlipede: Rammerbug: 6 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Backpacker Sam's Dwebble, OHKO'd by a critical hit Take Down from Hoopster John's Herdier at +2 Attack, Pokémon Breeder Galen's Liepard, Elesa's Emolga (twice)
:sandile: Rochaye: 4 – Pokémon Breeder Irene's Marill, Colress' Klink, Elesa's Emolga (twice)
:roselia: Flourini: 3 – Artist Horton's Sigilyph, Elesa's Joltik first attempt and Zebstrika second
:umbreon: Revolver: 1 – Elesa's Emolga first attempt

Bolt Badge: Obtained in Part 9 / Pokémon used: :sandile: :roselia: :umbreon: :pignite: :whirlipede: :leavanny:

Time: 12:13

Whew! That battle sure took it out of me! I knew it was going to be tough. For that matter, I was determined to not evolve Rochaye, again because I was concerned that doing that would've made it much too easy. Would it have? Maybe. But we’ll never know. It’s taken care of. But I knew I had to pull out the all-around tank, and it held its weight. But now I’m almost gonna feel bad about leaving it behind again! I mean, after how Revolver held the team on his back this battle, it's gonna be a little hard for me to just go "okay, you led us through a super difficult Gym fight, that's it for you". But it’s not something I feel a need to have on me at all times, maybe certain ones like this where it’s one of few answers I have. That said, I'll probably bring him back for Skyla, considering just how weak to Flying my team is and that she has two Psychics. Furthermore, I could keep Thread around for Clay setting as she’ll be helpful there. We’ll get to Driftveil next part, but I don’t think we’ll take on Clay right away. Either way, thanks for reading!

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
This update is certainly overdue but let's do it nevertheless! Enjoy.
  • With Elesa done, I decided to grab Wizzybeak and Sparrow again. So we had a new city to take to… Except Team Plasma was quarreling with Turner! I took care of them, and they had a Watchog that proved annoying with Confuse Ray but I beat it without any faints. Turner then spoke of his sister's Purrloin, and how it was stolen five years ago, and was counting on me to aid him in getting it back.
  • Then we fought the heartbreaker, Charles, on Route 5, who was doing Triple Battles. Rochaye OHKO'd his Sigilyph with a critical hit, but his Tirtuoga picked off Sparrow below half with AncientPower. Besides that, it was pretty straightforward. Faints: 1
  • After crossing the Driftveil Drawbridge, where I caught a Ducklett that I may or may not use, I was in Driftveil City. While two Team Plasma grunts, old and new, were quarreling, Turner broke up that fight and was demanding some talk!
  • So I explored Driftveil City, got some items and approached Rood at Team Plasma's fort. He wanted to test me. His Herdier was manageable for Porkler, but his Swoobat picked it off. Rochaye finished it. And evolved into Krokorok. Faints: 1
  • Turner listened to Team Plasma's story about how they're ACTUALLY trying to save Pokémon this time, but quite frankly, he wasn't having it and demanded his sister's Pokémon back. They didn't really have answers. Furious, he headed to the Gym, leaving me free to go about.
  • Also, along the way, when I went back to Lostlorn Forest, I ran into a persistent Pinsir that refused to let Wizzybeak run away four turns in a row despite a three level deficit, and picked it off. Geez… Faints: 1
  • We dealt with the trainers on Route 6. Most of them were easy work, but there was a Castform that dealt big damage.
  • Right outside the Gym was Turner, who had advice for me: Clay's tough. He may be my favorite Unova Gym Leader, but that don't mean I'm not prepared for a battle. We'll tackle that next time.
:pignite: (F) "Porkler", Level 28
Stats: 90, 64, 41, 53, 43, 36

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 28
Stats: 67, 40, 37, 47, 37, 38
Moves: Confusion, Disable, Screech, Water Pulse

:tranquill: (M) "Sparrow", Level 29
Stats: 82, 52, +55, 39, -28, 45

:whirlipede: (M) "Rammerbug", Level 29
Stats: 70, 45, 65, -33, +59, 34

:krokorok: (F) "Rochaye", Level 28
Stats: 75, 54, -33, 36, +38, 52
Moves: Crunch, Dig, Mud-Slap, Rock Tomb

:roselia: (M) "Flourini", Level 29
Stats: 69, 48, 38, 69, 53, 45
Moves: Giga Drain, Magical Leaf, Toxic Spikes, Venoshock

Storage:

:leavanny: (F) "Thread", Level 28
Stats: 88, 68, 55, -39, 48, +64

:umbreon: (M) "Revolver", Level 29
Stats: 95, 44, 69, 40, 83, 48

Have not used in battle:

Number of times fainted:
:pignite: Porkler: 5 – Critical hit from Worker Nathan's Lillipup, Fisherman Andrew's Basculin, Elesa's Emolga (twice), Rood's Swoobat
:leavanny: Thread: 9 – Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Koffing, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Herdier, Burgh's Leavanny, Backers Stu & Art's Scraggy, Pokémon Ranger Serenity's Trubbish, Elesa's Emolga (twice)
:tranquill: Sparrow: 6 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Clerk Gilligan's Pidove, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Ingo and Emmet's Boldore, Infielder Connor's Tranquill, Charles' Tirtuoga
:psyduck: Wizzybeak: 9 – Cheren's Patrat, Roxie's Grimer, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Sandile, Fisherman Hubert's Basculin, Burgh's Leavanny, Rich Boy Keenan's Herdier, Linebacker Dan's Darumaka, a wild Pinsir in Lostlorn Forest
:whirlipede: Rammerbug: 6 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Backpacker Sam's Dwebble, OHKO'd by a critical hit Take Down from Hoopster John's Herdier at +2 Attack, Pokémon Breeder Galen's Liepard, Elesa's Emolga (twice)
:sandile: Rochaye: 4 – Pokémon Breeder Irene's Marill, Colress' Klink, Elesa's Emolga (twice)
:roselia: Flourini: 3 – Artist Horton's Sigilyph, Elesa's Joltik first attempt and Zebstrika second
:umbreon: Revolver: 1 – Elesa's Emolga first attempt

Bolt Badge: Obtained in Part 9 / Pokémon used: :sandile: :roselia: :umbreon: :pignite: :whirlipede: :leavanny:

Time: 13:13

Not a whole lot to say about this one, but I just thought I'd get an update out. Clay I feel like I have the right coverage for, and I'll likely bring back Thread once more for him. You'll see how it fares next part. Thanks for reading!

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
I've finally had time to catch up on this challenge and I've been enjoying reading along so far! Those were some intense battles, dang!

I like how you switch around team members between Gyms, despite this not being a Nuzlocke challenge. In my experience, that really helps to keep things fresh and exciting. Good luck on the rest of this challenge!

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Thanks for the post! And yeah, I like to have some variety in my team, but in the end I'll have to leave someone behind. I also like when battles are intense. Sometimes I play like I have nothing to lose (particularly in newer games like B2W2, XY and USUM).

And I was meaning to get this out the day after I posted the previous part, I even had most of it written out then just forgot about it. I'll try to get on a faster pace with the updates, though! Enjoy.
And with all our training finished, it was time to take on the Gym itself. But I decided to leave Porkler behind for Thread again seeing as he would be useless in a Ground-type Gym. It did take a little bit of squirming about in the dark top get to Clay. The trainers were what you'd expect. And Rammerbug evolved into Scolipede! How about that! We got to Clay who was ready to see what we could do.
As he began with Krokorok, I opened with Thread, who was met with the Intimidate. Despite that, I went for Razor Leaf, which did over half and propped his Sitrus Berry before he used Bulldoze for a light hit and the Speed drop. Then he used Sandstorm, while I went for Bug Bite, which still got the KO. Onix was next and used Rock Slide, which did half my total health and Razor Leaf did slightly over half his. But then I accidentally mis-clicked on Bug Bite, which got him low after he missed with Rock Slide. But he hit again though, so that was out of there. I used Wizzybeak… Only for him to use Explosion and get me to 3 HP. The sandstorm subsided before Sandslash came out and picked me off with Crush Claw. So I used Flourini, and as he used Hone Claws, my Miracle Seed boosted Giga Drain OHKO'd with a critical hit that may or may not have mattered. Excadrill was last, and Bulldoze straight-up OHKO'd. Oof! I used Rammerbug, and got in Screech before his Bulldoze did over half and got the Speed drop, then Metal Claw picked me off. I brought in Rochaye, and Slash did 2/3 (would've OHKO'd without the Eviolite) and I used Rock Tomb to lower his Speed before turning to Sparrow, who caused his Bulldoze to fail. As Return hit for over 1/3, Rock Slide OHKO'd with a critical hit that I doubt mattered. I brought Rochaye back in, and Dig KO'd for the win.
So I got the Quake Badge and TM78 for Bulldoze, so that's nifty. He was about to invite me and Turner to something special, but he had a question… Why he had forgiven Team Plasma. Clay believed there was a chance they had changed, and didn't want Turner (or anyone for that matter) to only see their own ideas. Anyway, he was ready to invite us to the Pokémon World Tournament.
There, we had a show to put on. In the tournament, Flourini swept both Turner and Cheren, but Colress required some help from Rochaye.
But then, Team Plasma was on the loose! We had to take to the Plasma Frigate at the dock to deal with them. Most of the grunts were pretty easy and gave good EXP for Porkler, which she needed after being absent for the Driftveil Gym. They weren't having it with us and kicked us off the boat.
However, before doing anything else, I took to Route 6, where Cheren talked about some super cold weather! I was assigned with the duty of investigating it, and received HM03 for Surf.
Part of the reason I did that first and foremost was because I had a Pokémon to catch. I took to Route 6, and used a Repel to make sure I'd get one at a high level. Basculin! It took a little bit of roughening, and scored two undeserved critical hits against Revolver, even after I lowered its Attack. Oh, and Flourini fainted in there, too. I named it Blue Haven. It did take me I think one reset to get one with Adaptability. Faints: 2
I went through the other side of the Relic Passage. As far as the trainers in there went, there really wasn't a whole lot to talk about with them. Some of them hit a bit hard, but I had the right coverage for them. It was a good chance to get my new recruit a little EXP. With that, I decided that's where I'll leave this off.
:pignite: (F) "Porkler", Level 32
Stats: 102, 73, 47, 60, 49, 42
Moves: Flame Charge, Heat Crash, Low Kick, Rock Smash

:tranquill: (M) "Sparrow", Level 30
Stats: 84, 54, +57, 40, -29, 47

:scolipede: (M) "Rammerbug", Level 31
Stats: 84, 68, 61, -42, +55, 74
Moves: Iron Defense, Megahorn, Poison Tail, Screech

:umbreon: (M) "Revolver", Level 31
Stats: 101, 47, 74, 43, 88, 51
Moves: Dig, Growl, Payback, Rest

:roselia: (M) "Flourini", Level 31
Stats: 73, 51, 41, 74, 56, 48
Moves: Giga Drain, Leech Seed, Magical Leaf, Stun Spore

:basculin: (M) "Blue Haven", Level 30
Stats: 86, +74, -43, 62, 39, 66
Ability: Adaptability
Moves: Aqua Jet, Aqua Tail, Crunch, Surf

Storage:

:leavanny: (F) "Thread", Level 30
Stats: 93, 73, 59, -42, 51, +69

:psyduck: (M) "Wizzybeak", Level 30
Stats: 71, 43, 40, 50, 39, 41

:krokorok: (F) "Rochaye", Level 30
Stats: 79, 56, -34, 37, +39, 53

Number of times fainted:
:pignite: Porkler: 5 – Critical hit from Worker Nathan's Lillipup, Fisherman Andrew's Basculin, Elesa's Emolga (twice), Rood's Swoobat
:leavanny: Thread: 10 – Cheren's Lillipup, Roxie's Koffing, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Herdier, Burgh's Leavanny, Backers Stu & Art's Scraggy, Pokémon Ranger Serenity's Trubbish, Elesa's Emolga (twice), Clay's Onix
:tranquill: Sparrow: 7 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Clerk Gilligan's Pidove, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Ingo and Emmet's Boldore, Infielder Connor's Tranquill, Charles' Tirtuoga, Clay's Excadrill
:psyduck: Wizzybeak: 10 – Cheren's Patrat, Roxie's Grimer, School Kid Neil's Herdier, Backpacker Clifford's Sandile, Fisherman Hubert's Basculin, Burgh's Leavanny, Rich Boy Keenan's Herdier, Linebacker Dan's Darumaka, a wild Pinsir in Lostlorn Forest, Clay's Sandslash
:whirlipede: Rammerbug: 7 – Roxie's Whirlipede, Backpacker Sam's Dwebble, OHKO'd by a critical hit Take Down from Hoopster John's Herdier at +2 Attack, Pokémon Breeder Galen's Liepard, Elesa's Emolga (twice), Clay's Excadrill
:roselia: Flourini: 5 – Artist Horton's Sigilyph, Elesa's Joltik first attempt and Zebstrika second, Clay's Excadrill, Blue Haven while catching it
:umbreon: Revolver: 2 – Elesa's Emolga first attempt, Blue Haven while catching it

Quake Badge: Obtained in Part 11 / Pokémon used: :leavanny: :psyduck: :roselia: :scolipede: :krokorok: :tranquill:

Time: 15:14

Another intense Gym battle, so I'm glad it was a good one. And while it was a little hard to say goodbye to Wizzybeak, I had to use Basculin as per rules, but I'm excited for it. I used a Basculin once in Ultra Moon and with Adaptability backing it, it was super fun. In an arguably easier game, it should do well. We'll find out up ahead. Thanks for reading!