• Smash Camp 2020

Smash Camp, an event that has run for twelve years, has started once again! Everyone who joins is separated into one of four cabins where you'll compete to earn points through various activities, such as flash games, tournaments, and other events. At the end of camp, the totals will be finalized, and the cabin with the most total points wins. It's an awesome way to have fun with your friends while meeting new people in the process, and is open to anyone, not just members of the Marriland Forums!

Pre-Camp has officially started, with Camp itself beginning on Monday. It will be taking place exclusively on the Smash Camp Discord, which you may join by clicking here. If you have any questions, feel free to join the server and ask - we hope to see you there!

Bulletin Board

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
I've been playing the 16384 flash game for a while now and while the shape is different, it seems to be very similar to 2084 in terms of gameplay. I used to be pretty good at 2048 back in the day, so I'll share some strategy for the Hex flash game:
  • The winning strategy for 2048 was to keep your high numbers into one of the corners, so you got blocks of ascending numbers orderly stacked in subsequent layers. I've been trying this strategy for 16384 Hex and it seems to work well here too.
  • What this means for the flash game is, quite unsurprisingly, that it's best to focus everything in one corner (I've been using the top right corner). The trick is to keep your high numbers in the corner by only using moves directed into the corner as much as possible. While I was using the top right corner, I mostly used moves targeted towards the top-right, top-left and right. If those moves weren't possible, I would use bottom-right and I would prevent moves targeted towards the left and bottom-left at all costs.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Main tip for Winterbells: Farm points early. Hit as many bells as possible at the start. Provides a good base for your first double. (Always hit the bird.) Snowballs hard in this game.

Will try out the 16384 Hex strategy. Flailed around with little overall plan. Never played games like this. Figured someone did.

Edit: Is done in by controls more than anything. Sets up a nice position. Ruins it by hitting the wrong direction. (Inputs Q and C quite often too.) Spawns trash where the large number was. Cannot easily fix it. Loses patience, leading to more bad times.

Definitely works well, though.

Last edited:

SarasaKat

bibb pretty
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kat
Time Zone
EST
  • A mask
  • A receipt or order with your name (or username) on it (bonus: the name is misspelled)
  • A fireplace/fire pit (bonus: it's outside)
Scav Hunt items today!

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
A tip for Maverick Bird: try to get slightly below the opening and then flapping through. This will prevent you from hitting the top. Of course, it not the only way to clear the obstacles, but it is the safest one in my experience.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Looked at the flash game results. Noticed the 12.8 quadrillion score in Winterbells. Mentioned the game snowballing above. Never increases in difficulty after...5 birds up? Seems ridiculous even so. Estimated the stats of it. Assumed 20 bells for every double score bird. (Chose that based on ~25 bells before the first bird.) Bounced off of roughly 800 bells and 40 birds. Remembers about ~200 Bells for a score of 5.7 million. Impressive.

Wings over Water: Only played this a few times. Snowballs here too.
Scoring: (Birds in flock ^ 2) * 10 per new bird. 10 for the first bird, 40 for the next, then 90, 160, 250, 360, and so on. Jumps up fast.

1. Hung around the bottom of the screen. (Warning: May still hit your flock while offscreen.) Lunged forward for any nearby blue birds and powerups. Immediately retreated.
  2. Grab all powerups, except maybe Gold (health refill) at high health.
  3. Can survive after losing your flock. Kills your score combo, however. Might as well be game over.
  4. Recommends sound for the hit noise. Manages okay with a close eye on your health bar, though.
  5. Definitely use the click power. Tended to need it most on swans. Be sparing with it, however. Costs maybe 21% of your health bar.
Edit: Played more Maverick Bird. Dislikes this game. Designed it to mess with your senses. Becomes difficult to judge how to position yourself like in Calaf's screenshot. Flashes the screen upon earning a high score. Works too. Saved a string of new high score screenshots at 24, 25, 26, 27, and 28. Blasted past that to 47...then 48 and 49.

Cannot offer much more advice, other than to try to train your instinct on when to dive. Scored better with good dives. Set up good positions.

Last edited: