B2W2 BW2 were underrated games

Klave

let's get this bread
Staff Emeritus
tbh I feel Gen V got more hate than it deserved because of the whole only use new pokemon thing and that made a lot of people avoid it entirely.

but I think that's a big injustice to BW2 which tbh is probs my fave of the series. Not even for the main game, although the pacing and story are pretty good. It's the postgame that makes it imo:

-Pokemon World Tournament which was the first time I could reliably earn BP but also pretty sick to have all the gym leaders and champions in the game
-Black Tower / White Treehollow, finally a successor the Mt.Battle of Colosseum
-Join Avenue, useful for a lot
-Legendaries everywhere for the first time, and these aren't just wormholes but like you had to find the Azelf/Mesprit/Uxie, and Regis etc.
-whole of southeast Unova to explore, going back to the starting town and seeing level 65s where there used to be level 2 latest
-closure of storylines with Colress, N and Shadow Triad I think
-battle Cynthia the best
-finding all the memory links

and pretty sure there was a bunch of other things I'm forgetting

Cynical_Toast

Professional Video Gamer
AKA
Charlie
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I was always under the impression that BW2 were popular, but then again who knows. They were great, though. Such a ridiculous amount of content to be stuffed into a tiny ds cartridge, it was so good. Frankly it was quite the antithesis to what would come next, lol.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I never heard people hate them, I was always impressed by all the new animating and all the new pokemon. Story was great, music was great, if it's underrated more people should check it out!

Klave

let's get this bread
Staff Emeritus
tbf the perception of them might be better than the people I know who talk about them

also i can't believe I forgot what was the best bit about BW2 which were the medals/achievements you could get in the games. like whoa that was amazing and my fav thing. there were even challenge ones like defeat the elite four with only one pokemon in your team, or only with poison types etc. makes me want to go back and play them again!

I remember Gen VI having some medals but they were only viewable from your pokemon online account which made them completely worthless imo

Calaf

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Klave I totally agree, BW2 are among my favorite games! I love how they combined the Unova Pokemon with fan favorites from earlier generations like Arcanine, Lucario and Flygon. I also like how they tried to make the region less linear by progressing the story towards Lentimas Town and Humilau City instead of Icirrus City. And yeah, the Medal Box was awesome! Especially how they put in goofy medals as well, like getting a free drink at the vending machine or spotting a Wailord in the Marine Tube :P

Pendraflare

It me.
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
To answer the question on why some find B2W2 to be underrated? Well, because of BW fans that call it the worst for being the same game with basically no evidence (especially when they give Emerald and Platinum a pass) and/or crap on the story and think nothing of the gameplay (especially the post-game). Needless to say, it's a reputation that most B2W2 fans find to be unfair.

But that aside, it should go without saying that I'm a longtime fan of these games, and they were my favorites for over three years. One personal thing about the story that I REALLY like is Ghetsis' attempt to have Kyurem freeze you solid, but even better about that was how he literally had in on N saving you from his attack to bring forth the Absofusion. I mean how's that for a villainous ploy? And I'm in the minority of liking the final battle against Iris, if my theme was no indication of that 😅 It's not a particularly brutal fight, but it's fun. That setup is just awesome, and on Challenge Mode she gets big buffs like that Outrage Haxorus and the rematch with that crazy Salamence.

I did come to retroactively dislike them in 2016 after my big Black 2 Nuzlocke had one of the worst -Locke collapses I've seen, but I played them twice in 2017 and have since come back around on them. Are they my favorite games again? It's hard for me to really say, I mean you can say that I like them the most in their own merit, maybe XY or even USUM, but that's just what I have to say about it. So that's my stance on the topic! I do like these games quite a bit even today and I'm sure they'll always be ones for me to enjoy.

Kyogre386

Junior Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
B2W2 is what USUM should have been IMO. Not that USUM were bad by any means, but given there were two games instead of one it felt unjustified that they were more like Platinum than B2W2. I like that it had as many changes as it did, as a proper mid-gen sequel instead of just a third version. And it was the last game with really good dungeons barring remakes, they made them a lot less complex and mazelike in Gens VI and VII.

atlus?

biglilfella
Creative Soul
can't speak for B/W because past the refreshing story and soundtrack it's got looooooots left desired but B2/W2 could occupy a mans for hundred of hours; challenges where they SHOULD be and good story and very smooth level progression as well as carrying that gen V beats forward

p. legit

almost had the most cakewalk champ tho that was pretty residentsleeper

neoratz

i wish squids were real
AKA
Katey
Time Zone
EST
BW and BW2 are SOOOOO good!!!! my personal favorite is platinum but the unova games are a close second for me and i think bw2 is objectively one of the best :D it sucks that it and BW get thrown under the bus so much for... seemingly no reason? everyone i've seen saying they hate it usually say because of the bad pokemon designs but honestly i think trubbish and vanillite are pretty lovable, and there's a lot of designs i think are super good too (deino line, zorua line, the title legendaries, and many more) the only unova poke i truly hate is conkeldurr :faintedazurill:

EDIT: I FORGOT TO MENTION I ALSO REALLY LOVE THE MUSIC.... SO good

Last edited:

Klave

let's get this bread
Staff Emeritus
@Klave I totally agree, BW2 are among my favorite games! I love how they combined the Unova Pokemon with fan favorites from earlier generations like Arcanine, Lucario and Flygon. I also like how they tried to make the region less linear by progressing the story towards Lentimas Town and Humilau City instead of Icirrus City. And yeah, the Medal Box was awesome! Especially how they put in goofy medals as well, like getting a free drink at the vending machine or spotting a Wailord in the Marine Tube :P
Yeaa BW2 were the first games to include a lot of faves as well as have them usable in the game during the story i.e. not locked to postgame or v.late game. I remember thinking it was pretty mad being able to use the, and haha yeah the Wailord in the Marine Tube was a medal I liked, tbh i loved the music there so i didn't mind

To answer the question on why some find B2W2 to be underrated? Well, because of BW fans that call it the worst for being the same game with basically no evidence (especially when they give Emerald and Platinum a pass) and/or crap on the story and think nothing of the gameplay (especially the post-game). Needless to say, it's a reputation that most B2W2 fans find to be unfair.

But that aside, it should go without saying that I'm a longtime fan of these games, and they were my favorites for over three years. One personal thing about the story that I REALLY like is Ghetsis' attempt to have Kyurem freeze you solid, but even better about that was how he literally had in on N saving you from his attack to bring forth the Absofusion. I mean how's that for a villainous ploy? And I'm in the minority of liking the final battle against Iris, if my theme was no indication of that 😅 It's not a particularly brutal fight, but it's fun. That setup is just awesome, and on Challenge Mode she gets big buffs like that Outrage Haxorus and the rematch with that crazy Salamence.

I did come to retroactively dislike them in 2016 after my big Black 2 Nuzlocke had one of the worst -Locke collapses I've seen, but I played them twice in 2017 and have since come back around on them. Are they my favorite games again? It's hard for me to really say, I mean you can say that I like them the most in their own merit, maybe XY or even USUM, but that's just what I have to say about it. So that's my stance on the topic! I do like these games quite a bit even today and I'm sure they'll always be ones for me to enjoy.

I really liked the Iris battle too, I didn't know that was unpopular lol. It was spoiled for me that she is champion but tbh I loved her as a champ, and her whole backstory with it made it cool. another theme i was a fan of as well

B2W2 is what USUM should have been IMO. Not that USUM were bad by any means, but given there were two games instead of one it felt unjustified that they were more like Platinum than B2W2. I like that it had as many changes as it did, as a proper mid-gen sequel instead of just a third version. And it was the last game with really good dungeons barring remakes, they made them a lot less complex and mazelike in Gens VI and VII.
Yeah I agree, BW2 set a standard USUM didn't live up to imo, USUM were ok/good tho. What BW2 had that made it better were the new towns/new way of progressing through the region & new gyms but USUM had the same as SM which made it less interesting.

can't speak for B/W because past the refreshing story and soundtrack it's got looooooots left desired but B2/W2 could occupy a mans for hundred of hours; challenges where they SHOULD be and good story and very smooth level progression as well as carrying that gen V beats forward

p. legit

almost had the most cakewalk champ tho that was pretty residentsleeper
the level progression yeah is so important. to this day I can't rate Gen II/HGSS that high (even as many great things as they have- pokeathlon!!) as the level progression is so horrible. level 15 pokemon outside the 7th gym like cmon man. I doubt I'd replay it anytime soon just because of that

BW and BW2 are SOOOOO good!!!! my personal favorite is platinum but the unova games are a close second for me and i think bw2 is objectively one of the best :D it sucks that it and BW get thrown under the bus so much for... seemingly no reason? everyone i've seen saying they hate it usually say because of the bad pokemon designs but honestly i think trubbish and vanillite are pretty lovable, and there's a lot of designs i think are super good too (deino line, zorua line, the title legendaries, and many more) the only unova poke i truly hate is conkeldurr :faintedazurill:

EDIT: I FORGOT TO MENTION I ALSO REALLY LOVE THE MUSIC.... SO good
yes I like trubbish too!! it's a great lil thing :trubbish: that doesn't deserve any of the hate it gets

-Rosen

Cleb
AKA
Cleb
BW2 definitely did far and away the most of any generation to expand on what already existed imo (granted I've only play Sun on Gen 7 and have zero experience with Gen 6, so I don't know about those), though I feel like it's a lot more underrated because of nostalgia factor, which doesn't really exist at all starting with Gen 5 imo. Some people could argue that it started before or after, but 5 feels like a safe point since the game really started to diverge a lot more from the classic feel from older generations then. It's not my favorite generation (gen 4 still my baby), but it's definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be

Slix

Regular Trainer
Black 2 and White 2 are my favorite and I think arguably could be the most well rounded and best Pokémon games ever.

Like some of you touched on, I think part of the reason they weren't well received was simply because Black and White weren't well received. They stripped a lot of what people expected from Pokémon after 5 generations by removing older Pokémon until postgame. However, B2W2 fixed this gripe, and made a lot of other huge improvements like the World Tournament and Join Avenue, to name a few. I think the other main reason hardly anyone wanted to play B2W2 was the fact they were only on sale a year before X and Y. Add to this that they were at the end of the DS game lifespan, they were almost doomed from the beginning.

That said, it's good to see others enjoy this game as much as I did. Sometimes I wish the Global Link was around for the Dream World still. :P

Kyogre386

Junior Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
I actually think removing all older Pokemon until the postgame was a good thing, and don't see what people hated about it. It gave you more experience with the new Pokemon, as you and your trainers would be using only them, just like in Gen 1. It made the games feel more like a new adventure precisely because so little of the old remained.

I still love B2W2 of course, but if I'm thinking of weak points of BW, that isn't one of them.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Black and White were the first Pokémon games to really interest me. I liked Heartgold, but it wasn’t one of my favorites at the time. BW on the other hand captured my imagination. I adored the story, new Pokémon, and music. It’s the only Pokémon game I’ve put more than a hundred hours on for a single save file.

Rant incoming: Black 2 and White 2 are everything I want in a Pokémon game. Rewarding battles, fun story, amazing music, and an actual postgame! No two hour quest and no mediocre battle facility. The PWT, Join Avenue, and Pokéstar studios were activities that any player can enjoy. You didn’t have to grind for perfect IV Pokémon or spend ages looking for a shiny just to get more out of the experience. (Not attacking anyone who is into these activities. They’re just not for me) Any person can just turn on the game and have something to enjoy. It’s something I really miss about Pokémon.

Beavie

Noodles' Trainer
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
I mean, I'm mid-way through a playthrough of one. The only thing that interrupted it was the fact I got Soul Silver as a gift from my bro and I want to complete that first. My thoughts so far: I've really enjoyed it.

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I usually don't hear people trash on BW2 specifically, it's usually more of a "gen 5 was a mistake" thing. I'm hoping it's going to be like RSE were: for years and years and years I never heard anything positive about them anywhere, and around the time they turned ten years old the people who were like "RSE were the last good pokémon games" started to come out, so maybe by 2022 the same will happen for these.

My favorite game(s) are still HGSS for other reasons, but if I had to pick an objective best they'd probably be BW2. Join Avenue and the tower/tree challenges were great, yeah, but the part that had me replaying and thinking about them for years afterwards was the resolution to the Team Plasma thing. Weirdly enough that's probably one of the bigger complaints I see about them, something along the lines of "they had this really neat thing in BW1 and then they did BW2 and it's back to the same old OH NO SAVE THE WORLD FROM EVIL PEOPLE!" Yeah, except this time we know who the people are and where they came from and what they want and why they're doing it, which not only makes everything make that much more sense in this game but even gives extra meaning to the first BW because you now know what's going to happen to these same people two years down the line, which is rare enough in other games, let alone a game where the story's usually about as deep as the puddle of juice that I spilled on the floor this morning.

tl;dr Unova remakes when?

Kyogre386

Junior Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
I'm hoping it's going to be like RSE were: for years and years and years I never heard anything positive about them anywhere, and around the time they turned ten years old the people who were like "RSE were the last good pokémon games" started to come out, so maybe by 2022 the same will happen for these.
Yeah, what appears to be the community's favorite Gen seems to move forward over time, and often coincides pretty closely with the next remake due (possibly an influence of knowing what will likely happen and remembering the enjoyable stuff from the first time). My favorite Gens have always been 2-4, but it moved more to the later ones of those over time as for my absolute favorite.

Funnily enough, I've heard many people didn't like Gen 3 before (backwards compatibility loss and no more visiting old regions being a decisive factor), but personally people I've encountered were always fine with Gen 3 (and it was my favorite for a long time). I've found Gen V the most divisive, largely due to people's weird obsession with hating inanimate object Pokemon and the false perception that it had more of them (also, screw that, Chandelure is awesome).

PerfectWorld

Fiery Passion
AKA
Anne
3DS FC
3970-0367-7253
IGN
Anne
Gen 5 is my favorite generation. I find the common complaints about Black and White pretty shallow to be honest. Black 2 and White 2 are worthy sequels with a lot of really good features. I have a current file of Black 2 and think the game still holds up.