Café Marriland - Come Dine With Us!

Which ingredient should our first club event focus on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruellia

I'm a flowerrr
What is your favourite kind of chocolate?

My favorite kind of chocolate is a good milk or white chocolate w/ nuts! Lindt and Cadbury both steal my heart. 💚

Which flavours do you think compliment chocolate the best?

I'd say dark or citrus fruit, or some type of nut such as peanuts, almonds, or hazelnuts and yes I know peanuts are technically legumes. Matcha and espresso are also very nice flavors that compliment chocolate really well, and you can't forget vanilla!

What is your fondest chocolate related memory?

Uhhh this one took thought but ig one of my first halloween experiences when I'd literally manage to obtain like 2 full pillowcases of chocolate that I'd eat in just a few days but now I don't really eat chocolate all too much anymore as I'm lowkey orthorexic. 😔

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Alright,, here is my entry for the chocolate-based recipe event!

Chocolate Banana Bread: A Tale of Hope

First Attempt
I used to make this bread a lot, like, 4 years ago. Needless to say it has been a while, but I kept saying I should make it again, so this was the perfect excuse. Last weekend, I bought all the ingredients, blasted some Ariana Grande, and busted out my first attempt of this bread in years.

Unfortunately, I was a bit careless and made a few mistakes. Firstly, I followed the original recipe since I couldn't find my altered version, and didn't use enough flour. I completely forgot that back in the day, when I used the amount of flour the original recipe said, it didn't seem to be enough so I would always up it a little and it would come out perfectly. Secondly, I didn't measure out the baking soda exactly, because I don't know, I felt cocky?

Anyway as you can imagine, the mixture was too wet, and it collapsed in the middle when I cooked it, instead of properly rising and cracking in the middle. You can see a picture in the spoiler below.

Second Attempt
This weekend, I decided to try again since the only thing I needed to buy more of was bananas. I learned from my mistakes - I upped the flour, and I carefully measured out the baking soda. However, when I started mixing it all together, it became apparent I messed up again. The mixture was incredibly dry - my hand was getting tired trying to get the flour to blend. I guess this time, I used TOO much flour. But still, I mix what I can and throw it in the oven anyway, crossing my fingers.

And just as I feared, it came out very lumpy, and looking rather dry. Definitely nothing like bread at all. Feeling defeated, I just covered it in foil and threw it in the fridge without even taking a picture.

However, as I slept that night, my roommate tried a bit with whipped cream, and sent a nice text that it tasted incredible. When I awoke, he had eaten a third of it in one sitting. I guess looks aren't everything, huh? I snapped a picture at that point so that can be seen below.

Overall
Neither of my attempts turned out anything like I wanted them to, but I don't really want to spend more money on more ingredients so I will likely just leave it at that... we'll see. For reference, here is a very old picture I still have of when the bread turned out nice. It's kinda low quality and you can't really tell that it turned out any better, but I promise it did lol, complete with the crack in the middle.

I have a confession to make: I am really bad at baking.

Recipe
This is the original recipe that I found on the internet. You can also easily substitute chocolate chips for things like nuts, maybe even fruit?

1 cup sugar ✦ 2 eggs ✦ 1/3 cup vegetable oil ✦ 1 and 1/4 cup mashed banana ✦ 1 teaspoon vanilla ✦ 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour ✦ 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa ✦ 1 teaspoon baking soda ✦ 1/2 teaspoon salt ✦ 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips​

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mash bananas together to equal 1 and 1/4 cups. I've found between 2 and a half - 3 bananas does the trick, and I usually just use a fork to mash. Make sure they are ripe and easy to mash!! Ones that are browning works best for this hehe.
  3. In a medium sized bowl, beat together sugar, eggs, and oil to combine. Then, beat in the mashed bananas and vanilla.
  4. In a separate (large) bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Again, I've found you may need to play with the flour amount, and you can always throw in other things at this point like nuts.
  5. Stir the wet mixture in with the flour mixture. DO NOT OVERMIX - just stir until you don't see any flour. If you mix too much, the bread will come out really dense (it's intended to be fluffy).
  6. Spray a standard-sized loaf pan with nonstick spray and dust with flour. I use a spray with flour already in it.
  7. Pour in the batter and bake for 40-70 minutes. Make sure you start checking it at around 40 minutes. You want to bake only until it rises and cracks in the middle, and when you gently press it, it should spring back. If you bake it any longer, it will turn hard as a rock once it's cooled!! So make sure you check it often.
  8. Enjoy your bread! It tastes amazing warm, and whatever you don't eat right away, just cover it with aluminum foil and put in the fridge. Even cold it tastes incredible. I love eating it with whipped cream!!

thanks for reading about my failure learning experience! Even when not cooked correctly it tastes amazing heheh;3

The Griddler

Mermaid and Robot Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
PuppeteerMask, MystletainnKick
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
@shhmew I know it doesn't feel like it, but the pictures of your banana bread don't seem nearly as bad as you feel they are! I can almost smell it through the screen, and it makes me want to bake some right now. Regardless, you put in a damn fine effort to make the recipe work and toughed it out when things didn't work out. I'm glad that you decided to share your efforts with us. (And honestly? I've been looking for a good banana bread recipe to begin with, so this is just super convenient for me.)

And, this makes you our first submission for the event! Your recipe has been spotlighted at the beginning of the thread and a special 🌟 Recipoint has been assigned to your name. Of course points don't mean anything, but they look nice, and everyone loves to watch numbers go up, right?

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
@shhmew It doesn't look nearly as bad as you worry it does! It definitely looks edible which is the most important thing- Plus you can't be worse at baking than I am. Mainly because I just never do it.
I'm gonna be going back to my family's house on Wednesday and staying up til my birthday so I might see if I can get Ma to teach me some good chocolate-based recipes. Really want to participate in this event, after all.

Rainbow Rocket Grunt

Team Rocket Grunt
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Aimee, Lulu, LuluRina, Rina, ALL HAIL GIOVANNI!
Time Zone
GMT+11
IGN
Lulu
I made PUDDING!

Source of recipe - My sister's cook book!
....thats as far as I know lol
Also we usually double the recipe and I didn't this time so there is less sauce then we usually have... oh well

Chocolate Pudding

Ingredients

60g of Butter
1/2 cup of Sugar
1 egg
1 cup of Self Raising Flour
1 tablespoon of Cocoa
1/2 cup of Milk
1 teaspoon of Vanilla essence/extract

Sauce Ingredients
2 oz of Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons of Cocoa
1 1/4 cups of Boiling Water*

Method

Cream Butter with Sugar and Vanilla and Egg until light and fluffy
Fold in sifted Self Raising Flour and Cocoa alternatively with Milk
Place mixture in greased, oven-proof dish**

Sauce Method

Mix Brown Sugar and Cocoa together and spread evenly over the pudding batter
Pour over boiling water

Bake at 180 c / 356 f for 35 minutes

*Double Boiling Water if you want more sauce
**1.5L capacity ovenproof baking dish
Well I haven't cooked that in a while :D it was fun!!

The Griddler

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
Your submission has been added to the logs, @Rainbow Rocket Grunt! And you're now our new Recipoint leader, with a total of 3 points!

There is no prize for being Recipoint Leader. But maybe I'll make a leaderboard with that last post I have reserved at the beginning of the thread.

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
After a lot of difficulty deciding what I wanted to do for the challenge (seeing as I'm not really a chocolate kind of guy), I found my inspiration while working. Behold, Chocolate-Toffee-Chip Cookies!
Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (actual vanilla, none of that fake crap)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate, but you might like it differently)
  • 1 cup toffee chips
Now, you might be saying to yourself, "Bones, that's not a lot of sugar here, cookies are supposed to be sweet!" You are absolutely correct, the recipe I adapted this from did include 3/4 of a cup of white sugar. Thing is, I actually forgot to add it when I was cooking! Despite this, my test audience thought they would've been too sweet with the extra sugar, probably because of the toffee. They're a little breadier in taste than I'd normally make, but they're still plenty delicious. Still, feel free to add that extra sugar if you'd like.

Cooking
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Add flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda to a large bowl
  • Soften your butter until it's just slightly melted and add it to the bowl
  • Mix thoroughly
  • Add eggs and vanilla
  • Mix thoroughly again
  • Add chocolate and toffee and stir together
  • Place smallish balls of dough onto a baking sheet
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes
All in all, I'm pretty happy with how these turned out. I might fiddle around with some stuff, but overall I was pretty pleased with my first attempt.

Ruellia

I'm a flowerrr
Oh my gosh.

I wish I could have participated in this chocolate event because I know exactly what I'd make and you'd all be hella drooling.

Rex

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
EST
Oh my gosh.

I wish I could have participated in this chocolate event because I know exactly what I'd make and you'd all be hella drooling.
It's not too late to participate! Make something and show us!

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i wanna seeeee rue!!

also everyone's entry already has me drooling ehehehh

The Griddler

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
@Bones Barlow Added to the front page! Those cookies look pretty damn good, and I appreciate the disclaimer about the sugar. All in all a good submission.

@Ruellia There's absolutely nothing stopping you from participating, Rue. This is a month-long event and there's no signups. You're more than welcome to submit a recipe or answer the questions asked in the opening post for the event.

As for myself, I had intended on making something for my wife and grandmother-in-law yesterday, but they grabbed the wrong ingredients for me... I plan on going out there myself later on and picking up the right stuff so I can make it for them before the end of the month, so stay tuned for more from me.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
Oh crap I forgot to post the cookies I had! Oh well, they weren't fancy, just chocolate chip cookie bars with fudge on top.

The Griddler

Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Switch FC
SW-0956-0339-1010
I suppose it's time I stepped up and posted something like a proper leader. I give you the chocolate caramel cookie bar. Please excuse my poor photography, with my actual camera unusable right now, I need to make do with my phone.

So we have the whole thing, the first square I cut which fell to three pieces, and the second square I cut out which stayed intact. And hoo boy, these came out a lot thicker than they did the last time I tried to make them. Which is weird, because I had a lot of worried that I was spreading my crust too thin when I started making it. Ah well. It tasted good and I'm sure my family will love it when they come to visit. Here's how they are made.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of butter
  • 2 cups of coarsely chopped pecans
  • 1 cup of flaked coconut
  • 1 can (300ml) of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 package (227g or 36 individually wrapped squares) of caramels
  • 2 tablespoons of milk or light cream
  • 1 cup of semi-sweet baking chips
Substitutions:

You can substitute either half or all of the pecans for crushed pretzels, which I'm quite fond of doing and did when I made this recipe today.

Steps:

1. Grease a 13"x9" (or similarly sized) baking pan.
  2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Combine flour and sugar
  4. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly.
  5. Press the butter, flour and sugar mixture into your baking pan.
  6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the mixture is a lightly golden hue.
  7. Sprinkle pecans (and/or pretzels) and coconut over your crust
  8. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly on top of your crust.
  9. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until your filling is set
  10. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes
  11. Heat caramels and cream in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring often until smoothly melted
  12. Drizzle caramel topping over your filling
  13. Sprinkle with chocolate chips
  14. Cool completely, cut into squares.

If you want a presentation like mine with the smoothed out chocolate topping, then let your bars sit in the open for some time after adding your chocolate. Once the chips are starting to melt and lose shape, gently brush the topping with a knife until the chocolate is evenly spread over the topping. Then, cool the mixture in the fridge.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Alright so
I dont often bake things or do any kind of dessert mainly because I usually can't handle that much sweet stuff
BUT
I really wanted to contribute to the club and this event. So I thought I'd make something with Ma when I was home the past few days. I couldn't think of anything specific so what ended up happening is we both made my birthday cake together yesterday. Usually we'd (or, she'd, I guess) make her own icings and stuff but she didn't have time to prepare all of it so the icings are store bought in a little tub.

Because I'm a [censored] for symbolism I had to theme the cake. Two types of sponge, there's milk and white chocolate, cake pops with white chocolate coating and milk chocolate cake inside- you get what I was going for. Also, the little chocolate buttons on the top around the edge? They're also like that, the milk chocolate ones have white chocolate inside and vice versa. The only reason the cake isn't half iced with chocolate is because I dont like chocolate icing.
As much as I like to keep my dark secrets, I'll gladly give you all the recipe:

Ingredients
14oz Self Eaising Flour
14oz Margarine
14oz Caster Sugar
7 Eggs
4tspn Cocoa Powder
A Bar of White Chocolate for melting
Popsicle Skewers? Sticks? I guess is what you'd call them? You know what I mean, they're in the picture.
(The following can be made yourself if you want but we just bought them for this one)
Undiscernably Sized Tub of Vanilla Icing
Undiscernably Tub of Salted Caramel Icing

Cooking Process
  1. Cream together the Margarine and Sugar!
  2. Add the 7 Eggs!
  3. Bit by bit, add the flour. Adding it all at once makes it a bit lumpy
  4. Add few drops vanilla essence! As much as you think necessary, really, I like vanilla so I went with about 2 caps from the tiny bottle.
  5. Take about half of the batter out, this batter's for the vanilla sponge!
  6. Add the Cocoa Powder to the remaining batter and mix until it is a consistent brownish colour!
  7. Add the batter to 2 separate cake tins and bake at around 170 Degrees (Celsius) for 40 minutes!

Making the Cake Stylish
  1. So the cakes are gonna have a bit of a strange peak to them, cut that off the top so they're both flat. DONT THROW THESE AWAY, you'll need them
  2. Cut both of the cakes in half. It doesn't matter which way you plan to stack them BUT you're going to want to add icing between the layers to stop it from falling apart. You're going to want to use the Salted Caramel icing here. The salt helps stop the cake from being waaaaay too sickly so I thought it'd be a good addition here!
  3. Once you've glued the layers together, cover in the Vanilla Icing.
  4. Start decorating however you want really! If you have a piping bag, even better! Make some cool swirls and stuff! The chocolate used in mine are Chocolate Buttons and something similar but I cannot remember what they're called for the life of me.

cAKE POPS
  1. If you threw away the remaining cake you won't be able to do this I'm afraid. On the bright side, if you kept it, cake pops are really easy to make!
  2. Crumble the remaining cake down into a kind of mass of crumbs in a large bowl.
  3. Throw your remaining vanilla icing into the crumb bowl and mix around until the crumbs start to actually stick together.
  4. Shape the now cake pop mix into spheres, if you have an ice-cream scoop, that works PERFECT for it!
  5. Melt the white chocolate in a bowl!
  6. Dip the end of the popsicle skewer/stick/spear in the white chocolate before stabbing it about half an inch into the ball of cake.
  7. Put the un-coated cake pops in the freezer until the white chocolate sets. This will stop the stick from falling out of the cake.
  8. Coat the now-cold cake pops in the white chocolate before putting them back in the freezer to, well, freeze.

When the cake pops are done, you can either eat them or save them for later, or stab them into the cake for extra style points!

Sorry for my inconsistent instructions- I remember eating it more than making it lol
I hope this is acceptable though! It was a damn nice cake if I do say so myself and definitely the prettiest thing I've ever made, even if I had help from my Ma. I have finally contributed! Fanfare and festivals await...

Karolina

Majesdanian
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jaye
Time Zone
CST (GMT -6)
Name: Karolina
Nickname: Jaye
Pronouns: She/her
Favourite Food: Oh, god. I love food so much that it's hard to choose. I guess I'll put Kimchi Fried Rice.
Extra: Creme Brûlée.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Thought I'd share my dinner from tonight here with y'all. The cheese ravioli was store bought, I just had to heat it up, and the sauce was also store bought, but I made the garlic bread myself!! It came out a little mushy in the center though, where I put too much butter, but other than that, it was pretty good.

Also experimenting with making my own dip for chips instead of just buying the little dip mix packets and sour cream from the store, I can just buy sour cream and use the spices I already have. The one I made tonight came out pretty good and more or less tastes like the stuff I'd get from buying the dip mix packet and mixing it with the sour cream, but I still tasted some sour cream in it, so I think I still need to find the right balance of spices.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Don't have any pictures to share with y'all but I've been having a lot of fun with instant ramen recently. I've experimented with adding different things to the basic noodle soup, like a fried egg, leftover fajita meat, or packages of flavored tuna.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Don't have any pictures to share with y'all but I've been having a lot of fun with instant ramen recently. I've experimented with adding different things to the basic noodle soup, like a fried egg, leftover fajita meat, or packages of flavored tuna.
I've done that before too! I only added vegetables though; I'm not a big meat eater, and I'm not a huge fan of fish either. I considered adding egg, but I was a little hesitant about it not coming out right and also I only really like scrambled egg. I'd gotten sriracha sauce too, which also added a little kick to it. I do have a picture of mine though! I'd be willing to try it again, but probably not any time soon because it's too hot for soup-like foods.

Rex

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
EST
My fiancée bought into one of those recipe delivery services (Hello Fresh). Tonight we made cheddar crusted chicken with mashed sweet potatoes and roasted broccoli. Really easy recipe and the chicken was absolutely delicious. I'm not a big fan of either sweet potatoes or broccoli but they were both mostly tolerable.

Imgur link to picture

Status
Not open for further replies.