Wedlocke Calaf's Pokemon Platinum Wedlocke -- Part 3: Who's Getting Crits Now?

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Okay, real talk. I didn't plan on recording this challenge. Last week, I started up a casual Wedlocke challenge on Pokemon Platinum while I had quite a bit of spare time over the holidays. I didn't mean to have it be a serious, recorded challenge run, just a little playthrough to pass some time. However, recently a few new challenges have been appearing on the forums after what seemed to be a quieter period and I got inspired while reading through them. So, I thought ‘why not record this challenge after all?’ and now here we are. Just a casual Wedlocke without any complicated rules but with grinding, deaths, the works. As I'm writing this, I'm currently at Solaceon Town with this challenge, so the first few updates will take some remembering, but I'm sure it will be fine! I hope you guys will follow along for the journey!

Before we head into the first update, let's have a look at the rules for this challenge:
  1. Pokemon that faint are considered dead and will be permaboxed.
  2. You can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter on each route. However, in the Wedlocke challenge, Gender clause applies: you must have 3 male and 3 female Pokemon at any time, so if your team consists of an uneven number of males or females, you must catch the opposite gender to balance out the team. Encounters of the wrong gender do not count in this case.
  3. Pokemon are paired up and fight in teams. When in battle, you can’t switch to Pokemon of another pair.
  4. Genderless Pokemon cannot be paired. As such, they do not count as encounters and cannot be caught.
  5. Pokemon cannot be deposited in the PC.
  6. All Pokemon will be nicknamed.
  • Dupes clause: If my first encounter in an area is a Pokemon I have already caught, that encounter doesn't count. This also applies to Pokemon that belong to an evolutionary family I have already caught. This clause is used to stimulate variety and to make every Pokemon caught unique within the challenge.
  • Shiny clause: If I encounter a shiny Pokemon, I am allowed to catch it. If this occurs, a Pokemon from the PC must be replaced with the shiny pokemon.
  • Gift clause: gift Pokemon may be accepted and count as a bonus encounter.
  • Male Combee clause: If I encounter a male Combee from a Honey tree, I will allow myself to soft reset for a female, as male Combee are hopelessly weak.

• My starter Pokemon will be determined by the last digit of my trainer ID.
  • The use of items in battle is limited to three items per pair.
  • A level limit will be used throughout the game, set to the level of the highest leveled Pokemon on the team of the upcoming Gym Leader or Champion.
  • As the switching possibilities are already very limited in a Wedlocke, I will play on ‘Shift’.

Without further ado, let's get this show on the road!
___

I start up the game and as I take my first step in my room, my neighbor Damion barges in. Because my first few playthroughs in gen 4 were on Pokemon Diamond, I've gotten used to the standard name there. As a result, I now find it odd to name him anything else. He proposes we go to Sandgem Town to ask professor Rowan for a Pokemon. It seems as well a way to spend a Saturday as any, so we head on over to Route 201. After a brief cutscene where professor Rowan appears and lectures Damion for wanting to dash through the tall grass, he decides it would be a good idea to give a rare Pokemon to some reckless kids. I get the first pick and after a quick glance at my trainer ID, which ends with an '8', I pick Piplup :piplup:. She turns out to be female, which I think is pretty cool considering the small odds. I decide to name her Sissi, after the 1955 movie about the young Austrian empress which is still usually aired around Christmas here. Let's hope she lives to become the empress she's destined to be :empoleon:.

After the obligatory rival battle, which we easily win by spamming Pound, I play through the rest of the start of the game. We head on over to Sandgem Town to thank the professor, get the Pokedex, get a Parcel back home to give to Damion and finally get Poke Balls from Dawn after she shows us how to catch a Pokemon, which means the challenge is officially on!

While getting my encounters on Route 201 and Lake Verity first would be the safest, as it would guarantee me to get a Shinx on Route 202 thanks to Dupes Clause, I'd rather pair Sissi :piplup: with a Shinx for the sake of type synergy. So, I decide to make the big boy play and get my Route 2 encounter first, at the risk of getting a Bidoof there. Thankfully, I find a male Shinx :shinx: first, which I name Gascon. Afterwards, I loop back to get my encounters at Route 201 and Lake Verity: a female Bidoof :bidoof: called Dorothy and a male Starly :starly: called Tempest. (With regards to already getting my starter on Route 201: I always count the starter to be the encounter for the starting town)

On the way to Jubilife City, I train up the party to about level 10. We meet Looker and obtain the Poketch through the delightful ol' side quest with the clowns and the coupons before heading on to Oreburgh City. As we exit Jubilife City, Damion is waiting to challenge us to a rematch. My Starly :starly:, which does have Wing Attack, beats Damion's Starly :starly: which doesn't, as well as his Turtwig :turtwig:.

Afterwards, I attempt to expand the team a bit further, but no dice: Tempest :starly: knocks out a Budew :budew: on Route 204 with a critical hit Quick Attack and the Abra :abra: on Route 205 Teleports away after my Poke Ball fails. We have better luck after we reach Oreburgh City though: in the Oreburgh Mine I catch a female Geodude :geodude: (hah), who I name Bertha. At this point, I can choose to pair her with either a Zubat or Psyduck from the Oreburgh Gate or a Ponyta or Machop on Route 207. Because I already have a Water type and a Flying type on the team, I go with the latter and find a male Ponyta :ponyta:, which I name Blaine, thus completing my team of six. I decide to hold off on the Oreburgh Gate encounter until later.

Afterwards, I train up the team to about level 13/14, with the exception of Dorothy :bidoof:, who I can't train too well against the wild Pokemon around Oreburgh City. I then challenge the first Gym Leader of the game, the Rock-type user Roark.
I lead with Bertha :geodude: against Roark's own Geodude :geodude:. Bertha uses Defense Curl and Rock Polish until she's at +6 Defense and +4 Speed while the opposing Geodude struggles to damage her. She then proceeds to break down the opposition with Rock Smash, which I had taught her just before the Gym. The opposing Geodude is soon defeated despite Roark using a Potion to heal it.
Roark sends out his Onix :onix: to replace the Geodude. Onix doesn't damage Bertha either, but succeeds in getting off two Screeches before falling to Rock Smash, decreasing Bertha's defensive buffer to +2.
Finally, Roark's ace Cranidos :cranidos: comes out. It manages to score a scary critical hit with Pursuit against my Geodude, but is swiftly dispatched with Rock Smash nonetheless, earning us the Coal Badge!

I think this is where I'll leave things off for now. On the next update, we'll head on towards Floaroma Town on our way to Eterna City, where we'll attempt to obtain our next gym badge. Furthermore, we'll try to get some evolutions as well, as no less than four team members are within several levels of evolving. Thanks for reading along and I'll see you all next time!

___
Pair 1:

Sissi the Piplup ()
Level: 14
Nature: Hardy
Ability: Torrent
Moveset:
  • Pound
  • Growl
  • Bubble
  • Water Sport

Gascon the Shinx ()
Level: 14
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Intimidate
Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • Leer
  • Charge
  • Spark

Pair 2:

Dorothy the Bidoof ()
Level: 10
Nature: Bold
Ability: Unaware
Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • Growl
  • Defense Curl

Tempest the Starly ()
Level: 13
Nature: Mild
Ability: Keen Eye
Moveset:
  • Growl
  • Double Team
  • Quick Attack
  • Wing Attack

Pair 3:

Bertha the Geodude ()
Level: 15
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Rock Head
Moveset:
  • Rock Smash
  • Defense Curl
  • Rock Throw
  • Magnitude

Blaine the Ponyta ()
Level: 13
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flash Fire
Moveset:
  • Growl
  • Tackle
  • Tail Whip
  • Ember
None so far.
None so far. :)

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Good job so far! And good luck moving forward; I've heard there are a couple tricky fights with Team Galactic coming up.

It's quite a nice coincidence for me that you're doing a Wedlocke on Platinum. I want Platinum to be the next game I play (if possible) and I want to get more experience with Wedlockes since I feel like they're the logical next step from a Nuzlocke.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Typhlosion: Thanks! The Galactic fights coming up probably won't be easy, but with a Geodude on the team, I feel like I'm as prepared as I can be at this point. Here's hoping for the best!

I would definitely recommend trying a Wedlocke next! They really add an extra dimension to the challenge by limiting switching possibilities, which makes them more challenging and, in my opinion, even more fun as well.
As for a Wedlocke on Platinum specifically: I'll try not to set the bar too high. :winkazurill:

___

After the team previously defeated Roark, the first sentinel to the Pokemon League Challenge, our sights are now set on Eterna City, where the next Gym battle awaits. Unfortunately, we don't have a bicycle yet - as a Dutchman, this has me somewhat uncomfortable - so we can't just bike up Cycling Road. As such, we embark on a slight detour via Floaroma Town. After blazing through the Oreburgh Gate without getting an encounter once more, we arrive in Jubilife City, where we witness prof. Roark and Dawn engaged in a confrontation with two Team Galactic grunts. After they order the professor turn over his research findings, he requests Dawn and me to teach them some manners.

I decide to lead with Gascon :shinx:, who is now at level 14 and thus only one level from evolving. After the one grunt's Glameow :glameow: occupies Dawn's Chimchar :chimchar: with Fake Out, Gascon's Spark just barely fails to take out the other grunt's Stunky :stunky:, which retaliates by hitting Gascon with Screech. I decide it would be best to take out the Stunky before switching out to my Piplup to avoid her taking two hits. As the Glameow is Intimidated, I should be fine unless they get a critical hit, I think to myself.

Unofficial Rule of (Wed)lockes #1: Every time the opponent can't knock you out unless they score a vital critical hit, they will get it. Especially when you explicitly think about it.

Mistakes were made. After Gascon :shinx: knocks out the Stunky :stunky:, I watch his health bar drop from full to 0 HP due to a critical hit Scratch from Glameow :glameow:. Stunned by this sudden stroke of misfortune, I send out Sissi :piplup: to avenge her beloved. Teaming up with Dawn's Chimchar :chimchar:, she manages to take out the dreaded feline.

Man, I can't believe I jinxed it. I had such high hopes for you too, Gascon. With a great Ability in Intimidate and a good Nature, I thought this would be the ultimate chance to finally use a Luxray. I guess it just wasn't meant to be though. RIP.

After saying goodbye to Gascon and permaboxing him, I continue on to Floaroma Town. As we don't have a reserve in the PC yet, Sissi will have to remain a lone wolf for now. We pass through the Ravaged Path and battle some trainers on the upper portion of Route 204 before reaching Floaroma Town. While Gascon's evolution may have eluded us, we finally have two evolutions to make up for it: Sissi :piplup: evolves into Prinplup :prinplup: and Tempest :starly: evolves into Staravia :staravia:.

Confident from the increase in power and seeking revenge, we decide to wipe out two Team Galactic grunts harassing a poor Honey salesman in the Floaroma Meadow. Grateful, he gives us some Honey, which I immediately slather on the nearest honey tree. Maybe we can get a Heracross or an Aipom to give some new power to the team.
While I wait for the honey tree to attract an encounter, I decide Dorothy :bidoof: has straggled behind for too long, so I set out to train her on Route 204. However, before we can reach the magic level 15, where she would evolve into Bibarel, misfortune strikes again: she's struck down at level 12 by another critical hit from a wild Bidoof two levels lower than her.

Sigh. To be honest, I can't even be mad at this one. While Shinx's death was quite frustrating, I kinda expected this one to happen sooner or later: Dorothy's lack of power had already become very noticeable. That being said, it would have been nice to evolve her into Bibarel at least.

So, we say our goodbyes for the second time this update. The two lone wolves on our team :prinplup: :staravia: seem to have bonded over their shared loss, so I pair them up to form a new couple. On the positive side, I can probably count on them to be able hold their own and defend each other. Just gotta watch out for that shared Electric weakness. At least there's none of those around here, right? Anxiously looks towards the Valley Windworks.

Somewhat reluctantly, we head towards the Valley Windworks anyway, as two more Team Galactic grunts block our passage towards Eterna City. We vanquish the Team Galactic grunt guarding the door and bamboozle him by immediately using our own copy of the Works Key, which we got from the grunts in the Floaroma Meadow, to open the door right after he locked it. In the main office of the power plant, we find the Galactic Commander in charge of their operation to extract the plant's wind energy for their own goals, whichever those may be. She challenges us to a battle for the control over the Windworks and with our desire for revenge against Team Galactic not satisfied quite yet, I gladly accept.

I'm not sure if it was Mars or Jupiter, but I remember either of their Zubats carrying Giga Drain. Bertha won't have any of that, so I lead with Blaine :ponyta: just to be safe. Blaine's Flame Wheel does just over half, while Zubat's :zubat: Bite doesn't do all that much. A second Flame Wheel does the trick.
However, the fight has yet to really begin: her level 17 Purugly :purugly: comes out next. Squints while looking at the level. That just ain't right.
It's nothing Bertha :geodude: can't handle though. Under the motto 'never change a winning strategy', I decide to buff her Defense first. Six Defense Curls and two Super Potions later, the situation is under control, with Purugly's Faint Attack only doing 4 HP at this point. Even though Rock Smash doesn't do too much damage either and Purugly has an Oran Berry to boot, Bertha manages to break down the Purugly's defenses in the end, after which Team Galactic takes her leave.

I had planned to extend this update up until Eterna City, but I don't want this to turn into a giant wall of text, so we'll continue towards Eterna City in the next update! See you then!

___
Pair 1:

Sissi the Prinplup ()
Level: 17
Moveset:
  • Peck
  • Growl
  • Bubble
  • Metal Claw

Tempest the Staravia ()
Moveset:
  • Growl
  • Double Team
  • Quick Attack
  • Wing Attack

Pair 2:

Bertha the Geodude ()
Level: 18
Moveset:
  • Rock Smash
  • Defense Curl
  • Rock Throw
  • Magnitude

Blaine the Ponyta ()
Moveset:
  • Growl
  • Tackle
  • Flame Wheel
  • Ember
None so far.
Number of deaths: 2

Gascon the Shinx ()
Caught: Route 202 (level 3)
Perished: Jubilife City (level 14), to a critical hit Scratch from Team Galactic's Glameow.
Final Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • Leer
  • Charge
  • Spark

Dorothy the Bidoof ()
Caught: Route 201 (level 3)
Perished: Route 204 (level 12), to a critical hit Tackle from a wild Bidoof.
Final Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • Growl
  • Defense Curl

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Tough break on the criticals. Handled that hacked Purugly well, though. Good luck versus the upcoming Roserade.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Deva: Thanks for the encouraging words! The critical hits were unfortunate, but that's just the way these challenges go sometimes.
Fortunately though, critical hits cut both ways and our luck may just be turning in this update!

___

With the situation at the Valley Windworks saved and the bridge onto Route 205 cleared, we can finally proceed towards Eterna City. Before we do, however, we have one final order of business to attend to: a Honey tree with my name on it in the Floaroma Meadow.

As we step up to the tree, it suddenly shakes vigorously. Ooh, the suspense! Will it be a Heracross ? Or perhaps an Aipom ? It's a...

Combee.

Nearly as good as the other two. That is, were it not for the fact that it is male. Not to worry though: I implemented the Male Combee Clause for a reason. About fifteen soft resets later, we finally encounter a female Combee :combee:. I name her Victoria, after the British queen. Long may she reign.
While one of the rarer Pokemon would've been cool, I'm actually quite content with getting Combee. I've never used a Vespiquen before, so this should be a nice chance to do so. First things first though: getting Victoria out of her oh-so frail stage.

As a first step towards that goal, I set out to find the queen-to-be(e) a consort. Off the top of my head, the potential encounters on Route 205 should all make for good partners. As I step into the tall grass on the Route just past Floaroma Town, I immediately run into one of the ubiquitous Shellos :shellos:. It's a male, so I catch him and name him Langley, as a loose play on the word 'languidness' ("the quality or state of lacking physical strength or vigor"). With a full team of 6 members once more, all we need is some training before we can resume our journey towards Eterna City.

With how frail Victoria is at this point, it's probably best to train Langley first and I can think of no better place to do so than the Oreburgh Mine. On the way to our intended training grounds, it appears third time's the charm when it comes to passing through the Oreburgh Gate: we finally run into an encounter. After a brief battle, Sona the female Zubat :zubat: is added to the reserves and sent to the PC for now.

With the numerous Geodudes and Onixes (Onices? Onixx??) Rock types present in the mine, it doesn't take too long before Langley reaches level 17. Afterwards, we head back towards Route 204 to train up Victoria, which ends up taking quite a bit longer. However, between switch training and her taking out the occasional Budew herself with a powerful Gust, we finally reach the point where the new pair is trained up to level 18, on par with the other team members. As such, we can finally leave Floaroma Town behind for greener pastures.

After hiking across Route 205, we arrive at Eterna Forest, where we meet a girl named Cheryl. She's scared to cross the spooky spooky forest all by herself, so she suggests we traverse it together, which is fine by me. However, I decide not to count any encounters we run into while we're in double battles. Too often has that Chansey :chansey: with its supposed base Attack stat of 5 knocked out a Pokemon I wanted to catch.

Chansey once again proves itself to be an excellent punching bag and we make it through the forest and past the trainers in it without a hitch. Just before we reach the exit, I decide to make use of Cheryl healing my party between every battle by training up Victoria :combee: until she reaches level 21 and evolves into Vespiquen :vespiquen:. Cheryl and I then make it out of the forest and say goodbye. As a parting gift, she gives us a Soothe Bell, which should come in handy should we ever use Sona :zubat:.

We reach Eterna City and the local Gym Leader is already waiting for us in front of her Gym after Damion apparently hyped up our arrival. She'll have to wait a little while longer though, as I want to train up the rest of the team to level 21 as well, one level below Gardenia's ace. While training, we also find our encounter for Route 211, a male Meditite :meditite: which I call Yogi. After we finish training and Tempest :staravia: demolishes the Gym trainers, we're ready to challenge Gardenia.

I lead with the obvious choice for this Gym: Victoria :vespiquen:, who has a nice quad resist against Grass types. Gardenia's lead, Turtwig :turtwig:, sets up Reflect after taking about 60% from Victoria's Bug Bite. I go for Gust to knock it into the red without knocking it out completely to burn through Gardenia's Super Potion as well as a few turns of Reflect. After a few more Bug Bites, Turtwig is defeated without doing any substantial damage with its Grass type attacks.
Cherrim :cherrim: is up next, but is swiftly dispatched of with Bug Bite as well as it uses Grass Knot in vain. Why it wouldn't set up Leech Seed is beyond me, but I'll take it.
Roserade :roserade: is the final obstacle in the way of us winning our next Gym Badge. It manages to win a few turns after a successful Stun Spore, but the paralysis also means it can't effectively hurt Victoria, as its Poison Sting can't inflict poison anymore. In the end, Roserade is easily defeated just like its allies, earning us the Forest Badge!

With the Forest Badge sitting comfortably in our badge case, we head over to the Team Galactic Eterna Building to rescue the Bike Shop owner's Pokemon, so he'll give us the bicycle we need to cross Cycling Road. On the way there, we encounter the Sinnoh Champion, Cynthia. She notices my Pokedex and so she gives me the HM for Cut to allow us to cut through the thin bushes blocking our path. Well, 'blocking our path'. Seems to me like those bushes could just as easily be side-stepped, but oh well. Out of the Pokemon on my team which can learn the HM, Sissi :prinplup: will learn the least interesting moves by level-up before we reach the Move Deleter in Canalave City, so she gets the short end of the stick and is taught Cut.

Before we go in though, we need a battle plan to take out Jupiter and her cheaty level 23 Skuntank :skuntank:. Between Skuntank's decent stats and the deadly combination of Screech and Night Slash, this thing is a real challenge ender. I wonder what the top 3 strategies to take it out would be?
3. Going head-to-head with Victoria :vespiquen:, probably the strongest Pokemon on the team at the moment.
2. Burning down the Team Galactic building.
1. Hoping for good Magnitude luck with Bertha :geodude:.

I fear Victoria's damage output wouldn't be able to match Skuntank's, so going for that option would almost guarantee we'd lose one pair. The only way to get through the battle unscathed would be to go in with Bertha :geodude: and hope for good enough rolls on Magnitude to take it out in two hits or so. If we're going to go for that strategy though, we need to get her Defense up to par to let her survive two hits of Night Slash. Therefore, I decide to overlevel her slightly, to level 25, at which point she evolves into Graveler :graveler:.

We are now ready to cut through the shrubs and enter the building. We battle our way through a small legion of grunts as well as the infamous Scientist and his Kadabra :kadabra:, who don't pose as much of a challenge as I remember: Victoria :victoria: easily knocks it out with Bug Bite after it declines to attack and goes for an X Special instead. We finally reach the highest room in the building, where Jupiter awaits.

Jupiter leads with her Zubat :zubat:, which once again may or may not have Giga Drain, so I lead with Blaine :ponyta: once more. Blaine goes for Flame Wheel and manages to get a critical hit, knocking Zubat out from full. Off to a good start!
However, the real menace is Skuntank :skuntank:, which pulls no punches and immediately goes for Night Slash against Bertha :graveler:, dealing about 25%.

Bertha used Magnitude!

Magnitude 10!

A critical hit!

Suffice it to say: Skuntank :skuntank: ded.

___

Sissi the Prinplup ()
Level: 21
Moveset:
  • Peck
  • Cut
  • Bubblebeam
  • Metal Claw

Tempest the Staravia ()
Moveset:
  • Growl
  • Double Team
  • Quick Attack
  • Wing Attack

Pair 2:

Bertha the Graveler ()
Level: 25
Moveset:
  • Rock Smash
  • Defense Curl
  • Rock Blast
  • Magnitude

Blaine the Ponyta ()
Level: 22
Moveset:
  • Growl
  • Tackle
  • Flame Wheel
  • Ember

Pair 3:

Victoria the Vespiquen ()
Level: 23
Nature: Gentle
Ability: Pressure
  • Sweet Scent
  • Gust
  • Bug Bite
  • Power Gem

Langley the Shellos ()
Ability: Storm Drain
  • Water Pulse
  • Mud Bomb
  • Mud Slap
  • Harden
Sona the Zubat () :zubat:
Yogi the Meditite () :meditite:
Number of deaths: 2

Gascon the Shinx ()
Caught: Route 202 (level 3)
Perished: Jubilife City (level 14), to a critical hit Scratch from Team Galactic's Glameow.
Final Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • Leer
  • Charge
  • Spark

Dorothy the Bidoof ()
Caught: Route 201 (level 3)
Perished: Route 204 (level 12), to a critical hit Tackle from a wild Bidoof.
Final Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • Growl
  • Defense Curl