AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
That's terrible. Explosion is such a powerful move, and crits really do happen at the worst times. I hope you don't have too much trouble building your team back up, with nothing in the PC.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Typhlosion: Yeah, Explosion is an awful move in Nuzlockes and HG/SS have no shortage of it with all the Koffing-wielding Team Rocket Grunts running about. If only Olive :politoed: had had Damp instead of Water Absorb...

Losing Beryl :graveler: has definitely been... less than ideal, as she was an important part of the defensive backbone of the team. Now, I don't know if I'll be able to fill that niche again immediately, but I'm definitely gonna start building the team back up in this update! What Pokemon will join the team? Let's get to it!

___

After the ****show that was the last update, we have some reparations to do: now that we only have four Pokemon left, the team is a bit lacking in versatility. So, I decided it's time to call on one of the reserve encounters that we can get anytime and as it happens, we are already in Goldenrod City. I head over to the Game Corner and purchase an Abra :abra:, which will serve as our second Bishop. I decide to name him Magnifi; big props to anyone who gets that very obscure Ace Attorney reference.

Magnifi joins the squad as a Bishop!
As it stands, the newest addition to our team is absolutely useless, so before I do anything else, I equip the little guy with the Exp. Share and carefully evolve him into Kadabra :kadabra: against some wild Pokemon. After all, I didn't want to risk Magnifi getting too much experience and overshooting level 16 before evolving, as that would mean he'd miss out on Confusion. After evolving him, we head back to Goldenrod City and resume our quest to take down Team Rocket.

Last update, we obtained the Basement Key from Petrel, right after he destroyed my dream of ever using a Golem in a challenge run with an unfortunate critical hit. Therefore, we start by heading into the basement of the Goldenrod Tunnel to rescue the Radio Tower Director. As we step into the basement, we're ambushed by our rival Silver, who was hoping to challenge Lance, but makes do with us instead. Luckily though, I knew this battle was coming, so I led with my Choice Specs-boosted Aurelius :ninetales:.

Silver leads with his Golbat :golbat: against Aurelius :ninetales:. His Flamethrower leaves Golbat at a sliver of health, but burns it as well, sealing its fate: it goes down after doing marginal damage with Bite. Haunter :haunter: is up next, but its gaseous state is swiftly burned up with another Flamethrower.
Then, Quilava :quilava: enters the field. Aurelius doesn't have the best matchup here, so I switch to Olive :politoed:, who defies a Smokescreen on the switch-in to take out the opposing starter with a single Surf.
Silver sends in Magnemite :magnemite: next, which prompts another switch from me back to Aurelius :ninetales:. Unfortunately, it goes for Thunder Wave on the switch-in and follows up with Supersonic, crippling Aurelius before going down to Flamethrower. As a result, Aurelius can't seem to hit Silver's last Pokemon, Sneasel :sneasel:, as it does decent damage with Faint Attack. In the end, I'm forced to concede and switch to Tycoon :persian:, who takes Sneasel out in two hits with Pay Day.

Silver leaves, after which we're free to explore the basement. We fight our way through several Rocket Grunts and looting burglars before finding the Director in the deepest part of the basement. He gives us the Card Key, which means we can now head to the Observation Deck of the Radio Tower, where the supposed boss of Team Rocket awaits.

Before we do that though, it's time to level-up Magnifi :kadabra: some more, as he would be really useful against the Poison-heavy Team Rocket. Besides, I'm not letting another Gen I trade-evolution Pokemon slip away from me. Magnifi is now at level 22 thanks to the experience share, which means he can now hold his own. I equip him with the Choice Specs and he blitzes through the Pokemon on Route 48 (near the Safari Zone): first only through Glooms :gloom:, then through just about anything that moves once he reaches level 24 and learns Psybeam.

After a surprisingly short training session, Magnifi :kadabra: reaches level 37 and evolves into Alakazam :alakazam:, meaning we're in business. We head back to Goldenrod City once more to put an end to Team Rocket's heinous operation once and for all. We scale the Radio Tower again, pass through the locked door on the third floor and soon encounter the gauntlet of Rocket Executives waiting for us.

The remaining battles against Team Rocket's leaders go over much more easily than the one against Petrel. Magnifi :alakazam: obliterates both of Proton's Pokemon :golbat::weezing: with a Choice Specs-boosted Psybeam before passing the Specs on to Aurelius :ninetales:, who does the same to Ariana's Pokemon :arbok::vileplume::murkrow:. Finally, it's Olive's :politoed: turn; she takes quite a bit more damage from Archer's Houndoom's :houndoom: bite, but takes out all his Pokemon :houndour::koffing: with one Surf too. And just like that, Team Rocket has been defeated and Archer vows to disband the criminal organization once more.

With Team Rocket out of the way, we're free to continue on to Blackthorn City, where our eighth and final badge before the Pokemon League awaits. We make our way across Route 44 and through the Ice Path, fighting some trainers along the way. In the Ice Path, we encounter a Swinub. I consider catching it as a Rook for a while, but in the end I decide against it, thinking the only thing Mamoswine would realistically bring to the table is a very strong Earthquake.

We step into Blackthorn City, where Clair already awaits our arrival according to the guy standing next to the Gym. Before I go in though, I go explore Routes 45 and 46 to gain some more experience. I also go back to Goldenrod City to play Voltorb Flip until I have the 10.000 coins I need to buy an Ice Beam TM, which I teach to Olive :politoed:. We head into the Blackthorn Gym, where the various Dragonairs and Seadras are easily defeated by Olive :politoed: and Mimosa :meganium: respectively.

We then go on to challenge Clair, with the team between level 37 and 41. I equip Olive :politoed: with the Choice Specs, as she'll only be using Ice Beam. Mimosa :meganium: gets to hold a Sitrus Berry and Magnifi :alakazam: gets the Twistedspoon; Aurelius :ninetales: receives a Passho Berry to be able to take one Water-type hit and Tycoon :persian: has his trusty Silk Scarf.

I lead with Mimosa :meganium: against Clair's Gyarados :gyarados:. Despite Mimosa's decently high HP, Gyarados does a lot of damage with Dragon Rage. We exchange a couple of turns, with Mimosa dealing some damage with Magical Leaf in between turns where he heals off the damage with Synthesis and the occasional Hyper Potion. The third Magical Leaf, which is a critical hit, just barely fails to knock Gyarados out, after which Clair heals it up with an Hyper Potion and the whole thing starts over again. The battle goes on like this for a while, but once Gyarados reaches the halfway point in HP again, Clair decides to switch it out in favor of Dragonair. At this point, Mimosa is at full health, but I only have 1 PP of Synthesis left and two Hyper Potions, so I doubt if I came out on top in this first exchange.

Dragonair :dragonair: entering the field is Mimosa's :meganium: cue to get out of there, as I still need him for Kingdra later. I switch out to Olive :politoed:, who unfortunately gets paralyzed on the switch by Dragonair's Thunder Wave. Luckily though, Dragonair is knocked out in one hit by Ice Beam after dealing about 25% damage with Dragon Pulse. Clair then makes a questionable decision, as she decides she'd best send out her second Dragonair :dragonair: next. The second serpentine dragon gets a hit of Dragon Pulse off as well, leaving Olive at half health, but then bites the dust to an Ice Beam as well.

The true menace on Clair's team, Kingdra :kingdra:, is up next. I switch back to Mimosa :meganium:, who is most equipped to withstand Kingdra's powerful special attacks. The first Dragon Pulse does quite a bit of damage, just shy of half of Mimosa's HP. Anticipating this though, I swapped out Reflect for Light Screen when Mimosa hit level 40, which means the next hits only do about 20%.
Another war of attrition like the one against Gyarados follows: the following turns see Mimosa :meganium: doing some good damage with Magical Leaf, which negates Kingdra's Smokescreen as well, but taking some heavy damage on the turns Light Screen wears off as well. In the end, Kingdra is left at a sliver of health by Magical Leaf, but Mimosa is below half health as well. What's more, Light Screen has just worn off and I've burnt through all of my healing options, save for one Hyper Potion. Fearing another Dragon Pulse just might do more than half of Mimosa's HP, I'm forced to concede and switch to another team member.

I switch out to Tycoon :persian:, hoping he can take one Dragon Pulse. As it turns out, it's a good thing I switched, as Kingdra :kingdra: opts to go for Hyper Beam instead. I watch anxiously as Tycoon's health bar keeps dropping from full, but then stops at 10 HP. As Kingdra recharges, our heavily dented feline can safely take it out with Pay Day.

Finally, Gyarados :gyarados: enters the field for one more round of battle. With Mimosa, Olive and Tycoon hurt pretty badly, I feel like I have to switch to another team member at this point. I think this thing carries Bite, so I opt for Aurelius :ninetales: over Magnifi, as he should be safe thanks to his Passho berry. This turns out to be the right choice, as Aurelius is met with an incoming Bite on the switch.
I use the one turn the Passho berry buys us to go for Will-o-Wisp. To my surprise though, the burned Gyarados hits us with a highly disappointing Twister. Does this thing not have any Water moves? I go for Confuse Ray next, which cripples Gyarados even further, then set about to chip it with Flamethrower. Clair turns out to have another Hyper Potion though and eventually, Gyarados whittles Aurelius down to a point where I have to make another decision.

I decide our last Hyper Potion would be best spent on Mimosa :meganium:, so I switch him in one last time. This time, Gyarados is out of Dragon Rage, which means he can't deal any substantial damage to our starter anymore. And so, Gyarados finally falls to a few more Magical Leafs, earning us the Rising Badge!

...or so I thought. Clair is very salty about her loss and refuses to give us the Badge. Instead, she has us go to the Dragon's Den first to pass the Master's test. Anyone else who thinks Clair is the worst Gym Leader ever?

Clair's little sidequest is gonna have to wait for the next update, though. The account of the last battle ran a bit longer than I expected (sorry about that), but it was a really tense battle and I wanted to reflect that. Either way, I think it's best to wrap things up for now. Thanks for reading and I hope to see you again next time!

___

Mimosa the Meganium ()
Role: King
Level: 41
Nature: Relaxed (+Def,-Spe)
Ability: Overgrow
Item: Miracle Seed
Moveset:
  • Synthesis
  • Light Screen
  • Magical Leaf
  • Petal Dance

Tycoon the Persian ()
Role: Pawn -> Knight by defeating Morty solo
Level: 39
Nature: Rash (+SpA, -SpD)
Ability: Technician
Item: Silk Scarf
Moveset:
  • Pay Day
  • Fake Out
  • Fury Swipes
  • Bite

Olive the Politoed ()
Role: Pawn -> Queen by defeating Jasmine solo
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
Ability: Water Absorb
Item: Choice Specs
Moveset:
  • Ice Beam
  • Surf
  • Mud Shot
  • Bounce

Aurelius the Ninetales ()
Role: Bishop
Level: 37
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Charcoal
Moveset:
  • Nasty Plot
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Confuse Ray
  • Flamethrower

Magnifi the Alakazam ()
Level: 39
Ability: Synchronize
Item: Twistedspoon
Moveset:
  • Confusion
  • Psybeam
  • Recover
  • Reflect
None yet.
Number of deaths: 3

Aristotle the Noctowl ()
Role: Pawn -> Bishop by defeating Silver solo in Azalea Town
Caught: Route 29 (Level 2)
Perished: Cianwood Gym (Level 27), to an Ice Punch from a Gym trainer's Hitmonchan :hitmonchan:
Nature: Quirky (neutral)
Ability: Imsomnia
Final Moveset:
  • Roost
  • Confusion
  • Pluck
  • Hypnosis

Hippolyte the Machop ()
Role: Pawn
Caught: Cliff Cave (Level 18)
Perished: Mahogany Gym (Level 34), to a critical hit Blizzard from Pryce's Piloswine :piloswine:
Nature: Naughty (+Atk, -SpD)
Ability: No Guard
Final Moveset:
  • Submission
  • Wake-Up Slap
  • Revenge
  • Protect

Beryl the Graveler ()
Role: Pawn -> Queen by defeating Falkner solo
Caught: Dark Cave (Level 2)
Perished: Goldenrod Radio Tower (Level 35), to a critical hit Explosion from Petrel's Weezing :explosion:
Level: 35
Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)
Ability: Rock Head
Final Moveset:
  • Earthquake
  • Defense Curl
  • Rock Polish
  • Rock Blast
___
Route 29 - Hoothoot :hoothoot: (caught as a Pawn)
Route 46 - Spearow (skipped)
Route 30 - Weedle (skipped)
Route 31 - Bellsprout (skipped)
Dark Cave - Geodude :geodude: (caught as a Pawn)
Sprout Tower - Rattata (skipped)
Route 32 - Hoppip (skipped)
Union Cave - Zubat (skipped)
Route 33 - Rattata (skipped)
Slowpoke Well - Zubat (skipped)
Ilex Forest - Weedle (skipped)
Route 34 - Rattata (skipped)
Route 35 - Nidoran (m) (skipped)
National Park - Weedle (skipped)
Route 36 - Nidoran (m) (skipped)
Route 37 - Stantler (skipped)
Burnt Tower - Rattata (skipped)
Route 38 - Raticate (skipped)
Route 39 - Meowth :meowth: (caught as a Pawn)
Violet City - Poliwag :poliwag: (caught as a Pawn)
Route 40 - Tentacool (skipped)
Route 41 - Tentacool (skipped)
Route 48 - Vulpix :vulpix: (caught as a Bishop)
Cliff Cave - Machop :machop: (caught as a Pawn)
Route 43 - Flaaffy (skipped)
Lake of Rage - Gyarados (skipped)
Team Rocket Hideout - Koffing (skipped)
Goldenrod City - Abra :abra: (recruited as a Bishop)
Ice Path - Swinub (skipped)
Route 45 - Teddiursa (skipped)
King, Queen, Bishop, Bishop, Knight, Knight, Rook, Rook, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn.

Last edited:

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Welcome back, one and all! After we beat Clair in the previous update, it's time to head for the Pokemon League. Before we do that though, we have some errands to run first. Let's get into it!

___

Last time, we left things off right after Clair threw a big tantrum and refused to give us the Rising Badge until we passed the test in the Dragon's Den. As such, we have no other choice but to play along and head into the Dragon's Den. I carefully Repel my way through the cave and traverse the Whirlpool until we reach the inner shrine. Inside, we find a collection of old men, one of whom turns out to be the Master, as well as Clair's grandfather. He asks us a couple of questions to test our compassion in raising Pokemon and after giving the textbook answers, I pass the test.

Clair storms in and is shocked to see we passed the test, as she hasn't yet. How do you even become the eighth Gym Leader if you can't answer a few obvious questions? After the Master threatens to tell Lance about Clair's poor behavior, she finally concedes and gives us the Rising Badge, before storming out of the room. I carefully Repel my way out of Dragon's Den as well, so we can preserve the encounter just in case we want to pick up the Master's Extremespeed Dratini :dratini: at some point. Near the exit of the cave, we find Clair waiting for us, who apologizes and gives us the TM for Dragon Pulse.

As we leave Dragon's Den, we get a call from Prof. Elm, who says he has something neat for us. We fly down to New Bark Town and visit the lab, where Prof. Elm gives us the Master Ball. I doubt I'll be using it, but still, that's nice of him. He also says the Kimono Girls came looking for me and that they're waiting at the Ecruteak Dance Theater. Before I head over there though, there's something else I want to do first.

Earning the Rising Badge means we can now use Waterfall, which allows us to explore some areas we couldn't before, one of which is Mt. Mortar. I teach Waterfall to our trusty Water-HM Wooper and head over there to explore. Mt. Mortar turns out to be quite a maze on the inside, but after a little while, we manage to find the treasure hidden within, including the TM for Aerial Ace and a Dragon Scale. In the deepest part of Mt. Mortar, we also run into a certain trainer, who turns out to be none other than Saffron City's Karate King Kiyo. He challenges us to a battle, but before his Hitmonlee :hitmonlee: and Hitmonchan :hitmonchan: can do anything, Magnifi :alakazam: zaps them into oblivion with Psybeam. Impressed, he gives us a rare Fighting-type: the Hitmons' pre-evolution Tyrogue :tyrogue:. I'll have to get some inspiration before I decide on a name for him, but for now, I'm adding him to the team!

A yet unnamed warrior joins the Knights' order!​

Now, what's the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about Tyrogue? That's right, it's math. With some help of Psypokes' IV Calculator and the Pokemon Showdown calculator, I find out that given Tyrogue's stats, I need to give him at least 60 Defense EVs to get the evolution I want. Therefore, I Exp. Share train him against wild Gravelers just below Blackthorn City. Once he has the necessary EVs, I get the remaining levels against some trainers we hadn't fought before until he reaches level 20 and evolves into Hitmontop! :hitmontop: In honor of his spinning nature, I decide to name our newest addition Dynamo.

After this little detour, I keep the Exp. Share equipped so Dynamo :hitmontop: can train up in the backseat, before heading over to the Ecruteak Dance Theater. As I enter the stage, the Kimono Girls challenge me to a series of battles to determine if I'm worthy of receiving a certain something.

The only Eeveelution I have no good switch-in for is Espeon, so I lead with Tycoon :persian: in these fights. First up in the gauntlet, however, are Kimono Girl Zuki and her Umbreon :umbreon:. After chipping it with Fake Out and Fury Swipes, Tycoon gets hit with Confuse Ray. As I need to preserve him for Espeon, I decide to switch out to Aurelius :ninetales:, who takes out the Umbreon with a couple of Flamethrower after taking some damage from Dark Pulse.

Next up are Naoko and her Espeon :espeon:. Fake Out and Bite from Tycoon take it down to about 30% of its health before it retaliates with a powerful Psychic, that takes Tycoon down to 20 HP from full. Another Bite takes Espeon out, but taking such a big hit means Tycoon's role is pretty much played out, aside from providing Fake Out chip.

Miki and her Flareon :flareon: challenge us next, but are swiftly dispatched with Surf after a switch to Olive :politoed:.

Sayo's Jolteon :jolteon: hits the field next. After it takes substantial damage from Fake Out, I switch to Mimosa :meganium:, who takes the incoming Thunderbolt with ease before taking it out with Petal Dance.

Finally, there's Kuni and her Vaporeon :vaporeon:. Fearing Aurora Beam, I switch to Olive :politoed: instead of Mimosa :meganium:. Olive tanks the incoming Aurora Beam like a champ and thanks to her Water Absorb, the subsequent Surf does even less damage. Slowly but surely, she takes Vaporeon out with a combination of Bounce and Mud Shot.

The Kimono Girls are convinced that I am the guy they need to summon Lugia and so, they give me the Tidal Bell. Combined with the Silver Wing I got from the Radio Tower Director, I should be able to awaken Lugia. The Kimono Girls say they'll meet me in the deepest chamber of the Whirl Islands, so I head over there next. After flying to Cianwood City and exploring the islands, which actually gets quite tedious as you need to enter on the right island to be able to reach Lugia - guess which island I went to last -, we arrive at B2F. A monk is standing guard over Lugia's chamber, but soon lets us pass upon seeing the Silver Wing. All the way at the bottom of the cave, right in front of the entrance of Lugia's lair, we also get our encounter for the Whirl Islands: a male Horsea :horsea:. I decide this would be a good moment to catch our first Rook: meet Vortex!

Vortex joins the squad as a Rook!​

With our first Pokemon in the PC - Hooray! - I continue into the inner part of the island, where Lugia awaits. The Kimono Girls are already there and do some kind of sacred dance that, together with the ringing of the Tidal Bell, summons Lugia :lugia: from its sleep inside the Waterfall. The Kimono Girls urge me to catch it, which I'm obviously not gonna do, but I might as well try to take it out for the experience, right?

Wrong. Tycoon's :persian: Fake Out and Bite don't even take half of Lugia's health, but it almost takes out Tycoon in one hit with Hydro Pump. Fun fact: if Lugia has gone for Aeroblast, he would've been toast. So yeah, time to bolt.

Lugia :lugia: leaves and the Kimono Girls seem a little disappointed, but ain't nobody got time for that. It's time to head for the Pokemon League! We fly back to New Bark Town and surf east along Route 27, until we set our first step into Kanto! We fight our way across Route 26, getting some good experience along the way, until finally, we reach Victory Road.

Victory Road appears to be completely devoid of trainers, but there are some good items there, most notably the TM for Dark Pulse. After I found out previously that Aurelius :ninetales: can't learn Shadow Ball, it's a pleasant surprise to see that he can learn Dark Pulse, which I teach him to round off his final moveset. After an otherwise uneventful trek through Victory Road, our rival Silver catches up with us right as we attempt to step out of the cave. He challenges us to one final battle before the Pokemon League.

I lead with Aurelius :ninetales: and Silver leads with Sneasel :sneasel: for a change. I trade two turns to set up Nasty Plot for half of Aurelius ':ninetales: HP from Sneasel's Faint Attack before he goes on a killing spree: Sneasel is OHKOed with Flamethrower, Golbat :golbat: suffers the same fate, Haunter :haunter: and Kadabra :kadabra: fall to one Dark Pulse each and Magneton :magneton: is melted with another Flamethrower.
As Typhlosion :typhlosion: comes out, I play it safe and take a turn to heal, but it appears to hardly be necessary: as Aurelius :ninetales: has Flash Fire, Typhlosion has to resort to Swift, which does pitiful damage. Aurelius' first Dark Pulse does just shy of 50% of Typhlosion's health, but it appears to have been a low roll, as the next one knocks it out.

And just like that, the final obstacle before the Pokemon League is out of the way! As we step out of Victory Road into the early evening sunset, the Indigo Plateau towers before us in all its glory. Next time, we'll take on the Elite Four and attempt to overthrow the Champion! Before we can do that though, there's a lot of grinding we have to do, so the next update might take a while. Thanks for reading along and stay tuned!

___

Mimosa the Meganium ()
Level: 42
Moveset:
  • Synthesis
  • Light Screen
  • Magical Leaf
  • Petal Dance

Tycoon the Persian ()
Moveset:
  • Pay Day
  • Fake Out
  • Fury Swipes
  • Bite

Olive the Politoed ()
Level: 42
Moveset:
  • Ice Beam
  • Surf
  • Mud Shot
  • Bounce

Level: 40
Moveset:
  • Nasty Plot
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Confuse Ray
  • Flamethrower

Magnifi the Alakazam ()
Level: 40
Item: Twistedspoon
Moveset:
  • Confusion
  • Psybeam
  • Recover
  • Reflect

Dynamo the Hitmontop ()
Role: Knight
Level: 26
Nature: Docile (neutral)
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Exp. Share
Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • Revenge
  • Fake Out
  • Counter

Vortex the Horsea ()
Role: Rook
Level: 22
Nature: Bashful (neutral)
Ability: Swift Swim
Moveset:
  • Leer
  • Focus Energy
  • Water Gun
  • Bubblebeam
Number of deaths: 3

Aristotle the Noctowl (♂)
Perished: Cianwood Gym (Level 27), to an Ice Punch from a Gym trainer's Hitmonchan :hitmonchan:
Final Moveset:
  • Roost
  • Confusion
  • Pluck
  • Hypnosis

Hippolyte the Machop (♀)
Perished: Mahogany Gym (Level 34), to a critical hit Blizzard from Pryce's Piloswine :piloswine:
Final Moveset:
  • Submission
  • Wake-Up Slap
  • Revenge
  • Protect

Beryl the Graveler (♀)
Perished: Goldenrod Radio Tower (Level 35), to a critical hit Explosion from Petrel's Weezing :explosion:
Final Moveset:
  • Earthquake
  • Defense Curl
  • Rock Polish
  • Rock Blast
___
Mt. Mortar - Tyrogue :tyrogue: (recruited as a Knight)
Whirl Islands - Horsea :horsea: (caught as a Rook)
Tojo Falls - Raticate (skipped)
Route 26 - Raticate (skipped)
Victory Road - Golbat (skipped)
King, Queen, Bishop, Bishop, Knight, Knight, Rook, Rook, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Good job not losing anybody, though Tycoon didn't make it easy on you. May I ask why you wanted to use a Hitmontop? Mt. Mortar isn't a challenge one takes on lightly.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Typhlosion: Yeah, Tycoon :persian: definitely gave me a scare there. I guess it's nice to see the coin flip turn out my way for once lol.

As for why I wanted to use Hitmontop, the main reason behind it is that the role of Knight is not an easy one to fill. Hitmontop can have Technician for his ability, which would compensate the 60 BP move restriction. Unfortunately, Dynamo :hitmontop: turned out to have Intimidate, but I figured that would still be pretty good in combination with Revenge. We'll see how well he'll perform when we take on the Pokemon League though!

___

After extensive grinding, it's finally time to take on the Elite Four and the Champion! The level curve within the Elite Four is pretty steep in these games: Will's ace Xatu :xatu: is only at level 42, while Lance's strongest Dragonite :dragonite: is sitting at level 50. Therefore, I settled on training up the squad to be at level 47. Foreseeing poor matchups all across the board for him, I decided to bench Tycoon :persian: in favor of Vortex :horsea:, who I evolved all the way up to Kingdra :kingdra: with the Dragon Scale we found in Mt. Mortar.
Before we head into the fights, let's have a final look at the team!

Mimosa the Meganium ()
Level: 47
Moveset:
  • Synthesis
  • Light Screen
  • Magical Leaf
  • Petal Dance
Ah, King Mimosa. He still serves the role of 'good old, big fat Grass type', so no changes to his moveset. I don't foresee using him much in these battles, but he's hanging out in the back, waiting to save the day in a pinch like he has all throughout this challenge.

Olive the Politoed ()
Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset:
  • Ice Beam
  • Surf
  • Mud Shot
  • Bounce
Olive is sporting the same moveset she had before, but is now equipped with the Choice Scarf our Mom bought for us. The plan is to have her pick off several difficult targets, most notably Lance's Dragonites. Let's see how it pans out.

Moveset:
  • Nasty Plot
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Dark Pulse
  • Flamethrower
Aurelius has been shredding through the AI as of late, so no reason to change things. He has Flamethrower for STAB and Dark Pulse to bop Will and Karen's Gengar, then Nasty Plot for setup and Will-o-Wisp because he can't have more than two attacks anyway.

Magnifi the Alakazam ()
Moveset:
  • Psychic
  • Psybeam
  • Recover
  • Reflect
With his trusty Choice Specs equipped, I doubt Recover, Reflect or even Psybeam are going to get much use.

Dynamo the Hitmontop ()
Item: Black Belt
Moveset:
  • Revenge
  • Rolling Kick
  • Aerial Ace
  • Counter
The second-newest recruit to the team, all trained up to par. Revenge is Dynamo's bread-and-butter, hitting targets for big damage after they hit him. Rolling Kick is there in case we don't want to move last and Aerial Ace is coverage, mainly for Karen's Vileplume. Counter is there because he doesn't have too many other options and it may just save the day.

Vortex the Kingdra ()
Role: Rook
Nature: Bashful (neutral)
Ability: Swift Swim
Item: Dragon Fang
Moveset:
  • Rain Dance
  • Surf
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Draco Meteor
Last but not least, we have Vortex. Rain Dance synergizes well with his Swift Swim and forms a devastating combo with Surf if need be. I learned him Dragon Pulse via TM as general STAB, as well as Draco Meteor through the Blackthorn City move tutor for when we need a nuke. I have high hopes for him against Lance!

Without further ado, let's get into the battles!

First off: Will.

Aurelius :ninetales: will take point in this battle, with his standard Charcoal swapped out for the Blackglasses.

I take a turn to set up Nasty Plot, as Will's weaker Xatu :xatu: takes about 1/5 of Aurelius' health with Psychic. Aurelius then proceeds to blast through Will's team with Dark Pulse :xatu:, Dark Pulse :slowbro:, Dark Pulse :jynx:, Flamethrower :exeggutor: and Dark Pulse :xatu:. One down!

It would seem like Magnifi :alakazam: would be the perfect man for the job when it comes to Koga, but unfortunately, pre-National Dex Koga sports a Forretress :forretress: on his team. With the majority of Koga's team having a secondary Bug type, I call on Aurelius :ninetales: for this battle once more. This time, he'll be holding a Pecha Berry.

The same recipe applies: 1. set up Nasty Plot, 2. Destroy stuff. As Aurelius is conjuring up some bad thoughts, Koga's Ariados :ariados: goes for Poison Jab, which poisons Aurelius aside from doing about 1/5 of his HP. The Pecha Berry comes in handy, but that does mean that I'd better go for an attack instead of getting another boost and risk getting poisoned, which wouldn't be good for Aurelius' longevity.

Koga's Ariados :ariados: and Forretress :forretress: both fall in one hit to Flamethrower. Muk :muk: is up next and because I know these things have a ton of Special Defense, I go for Dark Pulse instead, hoping for a flinch. Muk doesn't flinch though and goes for Minimize. However, it doesn't prevent the incoming Flamethrower from incinerating him.

Koga's ace Crobat :crobat: is up next. He outspeeds Aurelius and tries the same strategy as Muk by setting up a Double Team. The strategy fails once more though and another Flamethrower OHKOes it. The final Pokemon, Venomoth :venomoth:, was doomed from the start. We're halfway!

Alakazam :alakazam:. Choice Specs. Psychic.

Zap! :hitmontop: ded.
Zap! :onix: ded.
Zap! :machamp: ded.
Zap! :hitmonlee: ded.
Zap! :hitmonchan: ded.

The fourth battle is where things start to get interesting. I swap out some more items for this battle: Mimosa :meganium: gets an Occa Berry for Houndoom and Magnifi :alakazam: gets a Kasib Berry to take on Gengar. I lead with Dynamo :hitmontop: against Karen's Umbreon :umbreon:.

This should go well, right? I clearly have the matchup. Let's play it safe and start off with a Rolling Kick, maybe we'll even get a flinch.
Rolling Kick misses though, giving Umbreon a chance to go for Confuse Ray. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is where the hurting begins. Umbreon sets up a bunch of Double Teams, while Dynamo takes turns missing Revenge and hitting himself in confusion. After a few turns, Dynamo is at half health after only getting off one Revenge on a turn that Umbreon didn't hit him, so Umbreon is also only at half health. This is not going how I thought it would at all.

Time to bow out and bring in Mimosa :meganium: to save the day. Magical Leaf sees right through the Double Team and Umbreon can't hurt him at all. Alternating with Synthesis, Mimosa slowly, but comfortably takes Umbreon out, wasting Karen's Hyper Potion in the process.

Karen sends out Murkrow :murkrow: next, so I switch to Olive :politoed:. To my surprise though, Murkrow opts to go for Whirlwind, so Aurelius :ninetales: is brought out instead. That works too: one Flamethrower roasts the birb.

Karen makes a smart move by sending in her Flash Fire Houndoom :houndoom: next. Aurelius can't touch this thing, so I switch to Olive :politoed: again as Houndoom sets up a Nasty Plot of its own. Surf just barely fails to get the knockout and the Dark Pulse Houndoom fires off in retaliation does a lot of damage. Thankfully, Olive's health bar stops rolling at about 30% and another Surf takes out the demon dog.

Vileplume :vileplume: enters and does negligible damage to Aurelius :ninetales: with Acid on the switch. Flamethrower takes it out and Dark Pulse dispatches Karen's final Pokemon, Gengar :gengar:.

Elite Four: defeated. Time to move on to the toughest fight thus far: the Champion, Lance.

Some more item changes incoming: Dynamo :hitmontop: and Mimosa :meganium: both get a Coba Berry, Vortex :kingdra: gets a Haban Berry and Aurelius :ninetales: a Cheri Berry; I know these Dragonites sure love their Thunder Wave.

It's time for Dynamo :hitmontop: to redeem himself after the humiliation that was last battle: he'll lead against Gyarados :gyarados:. The water serpent goes for Waterfall, taking about 30% of Dynamo's health. I was counting on this, so I went for Counter, which does only 40% to Gyarados. I guess Hitmontop doesn't have too much HP. The next Waterfall flinches Dynamo, but the third one allows for another Counter, leaving both Pokemon in healing range. As I heal Dynamo up though, Lance doesn't follow suit, instead switching out to Charizard :charizard:. Dangit.

We have a tough switch to make and I decide Aurelius :ninetales: is the one to take the incoming Air Slash. It does quite a bit of damage, while Dark Pulse doesn't do much in return at all. After two turns, Aurelius is at about 30% health and forced to bow out with Charizard at 60%. Vortex :kingdra: takes about 30% on the switch as well, but does take Charizard out with Surf after outspeeding it.

The first of three Dragonites :dragonite: emerges. I switch to Olive :politoed: to carry out the Choice Scarf strategy, only for Dragonite to narrowly miss its Thunder. Uh oh. Olive's Ice Beam leaves Dragonite alive by a sliver, allowing for Dragonite to paralyze her with Thunder Wave, which sucks as it negates our Choice Scarf. We manage to waste one of Lance's healing items with another Ice Beam, but then it's time to switch to Mimosa :meganium:. He gets paralyzed by the incoming Thunder on the switch, but takes out the Dragonite with Magical Leaf right after.

The second Dragonite :dragonite: is up next. Having seen Thunder on the previous Dragonite, I bet each one has one of the high-power special elemental moves: Like the one before, this Dragonite is at level 49 and after some research, I find out this must be the one with Blizzard. Therefore, another switch to Olive :politoed: should be safe. After Blizzard does very little damage, I use my last healing item to cure Olive's paralysis once more. However, Ice Beam fails to take out this Dragonite as well and it's right back to paralysis for our queen frog. Dragonite is taken out in the end, but at the cost of leaving Olive unable to continue for the rest of the battle.

Lance brings in Aerodactyl :aerodactyl: next, so I switch to Dynamo :hitmontop:. After the Intimidate, Thunder Fang does very little damage on the switch and thanks to Dynamo's Coba Berry, the following Aerial Ace doesn't do that much either. Dynamo can actually live another Aerial Ace and the two uses of Counter comfortably take out the fossil Pokemon.

Gyarados :gyarados: enters for its second round and because Dynamo is in red health territory, I switch to Magnifi :alakazam:, who takes out Gyarados with Psychic after taking little damage from Dragon Pulse, wasting Lance's final healing item along the way.

Finally, the third and strongest Dragonite :dragonite: is up. This is the one packing Outrage and I feel it coming my way. I doubt Psychic will take it out in one hit and since the entire team is weakened (aside from Magnifi :alakazam:, but his physical defense isn't gonna cut it either), something is gonna die. I weigh my options and come to the conclusion that after getting off Intimidate against the Dragonite, something else might stand a chance taking it out. With a heavy heart, I send Dynamo :hitmontop: to his demise; the little health he has remaining disappears in the face of the incoming Outrage.

Now is the time for Vortex :kingdra: to come in and finish this thing. He outspeeds the Dragonite and fires off a Draco Meteor, which barely fails to KO. Dragonite goes for Outrage once more. Even with the debuff from Intimidate AND Vortex' Haban Berry, the Outrage leaves him at a mere 10 HP from about 70% of his health. That's all the health he needs to fire off another Draco Meteor though, sealing the deal and taking out Lance's final Pokemon!

Man, that was rough. Despite the extensive preparations I made, those final two battles were way closer than I would've liked. The fact that Ice Beam just barely didn't take out the Dragonites especially caught me off guard. To think that if only I'd used some Rare Candies to boost Olive :politoed: up from level 47, we may have made it out of the battle unscathed, huh?

That being said, playing the cards we were dealt, I don't think I could've prevented the one death we suffered. It sucks to lose Dynamo :hitmontop: so soon after adding him to the team, but without that Intimidate, we would've had at least two deaths and possibly even more. At least Dynamo got his chance to shine in his last fight. Your sacrifice will not be forgotten, rest in peace.

So, we've beaten the Pokemon League! In a playthrough of any other game, this would mean victory, but this challenge has only reached its halfway point. On the next update, we'll turn our eyes to the Kanto arc of this challenge! Thanks for reading through these extensive battle reports and I hope to see you again on the next update!

___

Tycoon the Persian ()
Moveset:
  • Pay Day
  • Fake Out
  • Fury Swipes
  • Bite
Number of deaths: 4

Aristotle the Noctowl ()
Final Moveset:
  • Roost
  • Confusion
  • Pluck
  • Hypnosis

Hippolyte the Machop ()
Final Moveset:
  • Submission
  • Wake-Up Slap
  • Revenge
  • Protect

Beryl the Graveler ()
Final Moveset:
  • Earthquake
  • Defense Curl
  • Rock Polish
  • Rock Blast

Dynamo the Hitmontop ()
Met: Mt. Mortar (Level 10)
Perished: Indigo Plateau (Level 47), to an Outrage from Lance's Dragonite :dragonite:
Final Moveset:
  • Revenge
  • Rolling Kick
  • Aerial Ace
  • Counter
___
Mt. Mortar - Tyrogue :tyrogue: (recruited as a Knight)
Whirl Islands - Horsea :horsea: (caught as a Rook)
Tojo Falls - Raticate (skipped)
Route 26 - Raticate (skipped)
Victory Road - Golbat (skipped)

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Ah, so you will be going to Kanto. Should be fun! I'd say good luck but you're not going to need it until at least the fight against Blue.

I like the variety of items HGSS gives you because it makes for some fun strategies. The damage-reducing Berries are easily accessible, and in most games you wouldn't dream of having any Choice items on hand until you can buy them for BP in the post-game.

Aurelius's moveset doesn't show Dark Pulse so I'm curious what his moves are!

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Alright, I'm all caught up!
And...damn these losses must have hurt.
Especially Beryl. A crit from Explosion? That's a whole box chock full of bull ****.
And Claire? If you could not go for Hyper Beam and almost murder our resident Tycoon, that's be greaaaat.

And poor Dynamo. Making sacrifices like that hurts like hell, but he went down valiantly.

But your strategies have been great. Those damage reducing berries have come in clutch a lot.
Looking forward to how this progresses.

Last edited: