Calaf's Pokemon SoulSilver White Mono-Color Challenge!

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Hey guys! Welcome to this new challenge!

Althought I've been quite busy due to my participation in the Nuzlocke Hunger Games, I've been having a bit more time again recently, so I've been itching to do a regular challenge! I would have continued my White 2 Wedlocke, but due to... cough cough ...circumstances, I won't be able to continue that for about a week or so. I definitely didn't forget my cartridge somewhere, I swear. Anyway, I've been playing with the idea of doing this challenge for a while now, so I figured I'd just go ahead and start it up! I hope you'll tag along for the ride!

There are a few reasons why I wanted to try this challenge. First and foremost, for as much as I love Dewgong, I've never really used it all that much and this challenge will give me a great opportunity to do so! Second, I thought that this challenge wouldn't even be that hard, since I figured Togekiss would be available right after the third gym thanks to the Pokéathlon. However, it was recently pointed out to me that the Shiny Stone isn't sold there until after obtaining the National dex. Sigh. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to make Togetic work. Mama ain't raised no quitter.

Without further ado: let's have a quick look at the rules I'll be using for this challenge.
1. You may only use Pokémon of a certain color, according to the Pokédex.
This is the main rule of this challenge, which describes which Pokemon may be used. In this case, I'll be using the color white.
I do think I want to impose an exception to this rule, which I'll dub Sketch Clause.
1a. Sketch Clause: Pokemon of other colors may be caught, trained and used against wild Pokemon and Double (trainer) battles which have previously been defeated, to enable Smeargle to Sketch their moves.
2. The challenge is completed when Red is defeated at the summit of Mt. Silver.
3. No items may be used in battle.

Finally, I won't be using a 'hard' level limit. However, I will be trying not to overlevel my Pokemon. In general, they won't be more than a few levels higher than the upcoming Gym Leader or Elite Four.

I have a question for you guys: what do you think of these rules? In particular, do you think Sketch Clause should be allowed? I'd love to hear your opinion!

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say for now! Like I said, I hope you'll read along! The first update will follow soon.

EDIT: I decided to allow Sketch Clause for this run. Thank you for your feedback! Also, I forgot to mention this in the rules earlier, but I will be playing with the battle mode on 'Set'.

Last edited:

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Thought about Sketch Clause. Remains torn.
Pros:
  • Never hears of anyone using Smeargle in playthroughs.
  • May not outspeed that much at base 75 Speed.
Con:
- Accesses nasty moves early: Spore (17 Paras), Baton Pass (22 Ledyba), U-turn (Azalea Gym + Butterfree for double duty), and technically Substitute (Goldenrod Game Corner for 2000). Could grab Belly Drum (31 Poliwag) or wait for Dragon Dance (38 Horsea) or Nasty Plot (38 Meowth).

Perhaps forbid Spore? Hinges heavily on that (and Speed). Does that ruin Smeargle too much? Wants you to have fun with it still. (What is the point otherwise?)

Good luck on your challenge, also.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
I just checked Bulbapedia and your options will be more limited than I thought. At least you can get some stuff early on like Butterfree and Mareep (which looks more yellow to me but according to the internet it's white.)

Either way, good luck on your challenge and may you be blessed with a Serene Grace Togetic!

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
AKA
Daam
Monocolours are scary gosh. Luck to you sir calaf and I wish you the best for this locke!

Man white colour Pokemon are boring and far between

Edit: In terms of sketch clause I can see it being something that’s easily abused, but it also sounds like fun. I mean smeargle without moves isn’t exactly on the top of my list of Great Pokemon

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Looked into Smeargle moves further. Gains relatively little (in terms of power) with Sketch Clause. Finds all the moves anyways. Pushes back timing a little without it.

Supports Sketch Clause. Adds convenience. Allows Smeargle to contribute without waiting over half the game.

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Deva: I agree, Smeargle has access to some great moves, but in terms of stats it really doesn't have much to work with. I mostly thought of Sketch Clause so I don't end up wasting Sketch because a wild Pokemon just happens to use the wrong move. Anyway, thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it! :yayazurill:

@Kaori: Thank you! ^^

@Moxie: Thanks! The challenge probably won't be easy, but then again, that's the fun of it!

Alright, it’s time for the first update! Let’s get this show on the road!

___

Part 1: A blank slate

After I started up the game, I went over to professor Elm’s laboratory to obtain my starter Pokémon. For this run, I allowed myself to start with Caterpie. When I thought of this challenge, it seemed right to do it on SoulSilver as opposed to HeartGold, due to the color association. However, this posed a problem, as one of the available Pokemon for this challenge, Butterfree, is unavailable in SoulSilver until the Bug Catching Contest. Therefore, I decided it would be good to start with a Caterpie. I chose it instead of Chikorita, so my rival would have Cyndaquil. We can’t have the challenge be too easy, after all.

I named my new companion Icarus, after the character from Greek mythology. Just a disclaimer, I didn’t steal your nicknaming theme @Kaori. I thought of it beforehand, I swear. :cheekyazurill: Butterfree’s design, with its seemingly fragile wings, reminds me of the story from mythology. May it serve as a reminder to keep Butterfree away from Pokémon using Sunny Day.

My new buddy and I made our way towards Mr. Pokémon’s house to run an errand for the good professor Elm. I will fastforward through this section a bit, as this part of the game is quite slow. Especially when your only Pokemon is a Caterpie. Here’s a quick summary for you though.
  • We needed to go back to the lab to heal three times, because Icarus got beaten to a pulp by a Hoothoot.
  • We obtained the Running Shoes.
  • Icarus evolved into Metapod :metapod:
After a long trip, we arrived at Mr. Pokémon’s house, only to find out that the world famous Professor Oak was there on a visit. I wonder what wisdom he has in store for us today?

I think Professor Oak is losing his touch, guys.

After obtaining the Mystery Egg from Mr. Pokémon, I head back to professor Elm’s lab. As we pass through Cherrygrove City, our ill-mannered rival challenges us to a battle, which we win fairly easily using the classic ‘Spam Tackle until the other guy faints’ technique. Once back in the lab, where we are asked to name our rival. I decide to just name him Silver for lack of a better idea. After the incident, Icarus and I go back to Route 30, where we battle a few trainers. Afterwards, I train Icarus up to level 10 on Route 31, at which point he evolves into Butterfree :butterfree:

We arrive in Violet City, but I decide to skip most of the city for now and instead go to Route 32 to catch the second member of the team, a female Mareep :mareep:. I thought about a nickname for her for the longest time and eventually I decided on Jasmine, due to the connection of Gym Leader Jasmine with the Ampharos of the Lighthouse. Also, as it turns out, Jasmine is the name of the exact color of Mareep’s wool, which I thought was a funny little coincidence.
(Or is it?! :thonkazurill: cue Illuminati music)

Jasmine has a Relaxed nature, which raises Defense at the cost of Speed. At first, I wasn't too stoked about this, but then I realized she probably won't outspeed anything anyway, seeing as how I can't evolve her. Therefore, the added bulk just might save her life someday.

After catching Jasmine, I train her up to level 10 to match Icarus, at which point she learns ThunderShock. We then head on to the Sprout Tower, where Icarus makes short work of the sages’ Bellsprout. As we reach the top, only the leader of the Tower, who had just finished lecturing our rival, is left.

Icarus :butterfree: makes short work of the first Bellsprout, taking it out in one hit with Confusion.

I switch to Jasmine :mareep: and Hoothoot attempts to go for Hypnosis, which misses. Next, it goes for the offense, attacking Jasmine with Peck, which only takes a few HP. Jasmine takes down 50% of Hoothoot's health with ThunderShock, but falls asleep to Hypnosis on the next turn. Luckily, she wakes up on the next turn and takes out the Elder's Hoothoot, which barely managed to scratch her with Peck.

I switch back to Icarus :butterfree:, as Bellsprout goes for Growth. Its stat boost is in vain, as it doesn't prevent it from being taken out by Confusion.

After beating the Sprout Tower, I head on over to the Gym, where Jasmine quickly dispatches the Gym trainers. I challenge Falkner with both of my Pokémon at level 12.

I lead against Falkner with Jasmine :mareep:. His Pidgey leads with Sand-Attack, lowering Jasmine's attack. It appears to pay off, because Jasmine immediately misses her ThunderShock. Oh boy, is it gonna be one of those Gym Battles?
Pidgey goes for Tackle next, taking only a few HP from Jasmine. In the process, Static triggers, paralyzing Pidgey. Not that it matters, because Jasmine's ThunderShock takes it out in one hit.

Next, Falkner sends out his Pidgeotto. I withdraw Jasmine to get rid of that nasty accuracy drop. As I send out Icarus :butterfree:, Pidgeotto scores a critical hit Tackle, taking nearly 50% of Butterfree's HP. Hoping Gust doesn't knock Icarus out yet, I go for Stun Spore. Luckily, Gust leaves Icarus with 8 HP, after which he successfully paralyzes Pidgeotto. I go for Confusion to get whatever chip damage I can get, taking 20% of Pidgeotto's health before the next Gust knocks Icarus out.
I send in Jasmine to end this. The first Thundershock leaves Pidgeotto with about 20% of its health and it retaliates with Tackle, which hits quite hard, leaving Mareep with 22 out of 38 HP. I presume Pidgeotto goes for Roost next, but it doesn't get the chance, as the next ThunderShock takes it out.

And like that, we've got the Zephyr Badge!

TO BE CONTINUED

___

Icarus the Butterfree
Level: 12
Nature: Hardy
38/19/19/25/24/24
Ability: Compoundeyes
Moveset:
  • Stun Spore
  • Sleep Powder
  • Harden
  • Confusion

Jasmine the Mareep
Level: 13
Nature: Relaxed
40/16/19/24/18/15
Ability: Static
Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • Growl
  • ThunderShock

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Great to see a monocolour challenge. White's an interesting one - no real type biases, but not many Pokemon at all. Looks like a team of Butterfree, Dewgong, Togetic, Mareep, and Smeargle. (And Lugia, if you decide to use it.)

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
I've never seen a Monocolour challenge before so I will be following this one pretty closely. I like the sketch clause, Smeargle doesn't get enough love.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
@icelandic: Yeah, there aren't many Pokemon to choose from in this challenge. However, there's some Pokemon I've wanted to use for a long time, so it should be fun to attempt to reach the end with them! Also, I'm gonna try not to use Lugia, although I will attempt to catch it!

@Zedark: Thanks for following along! I've also never seen Smeargle being used in a challenge, so I agree that it deserves some time in the spotlight!

Alright, it's time for the next update!
___

Last time, we left off right after we had defeated Falkner. As soon as we left the gym, we got a call from good ol’ Professor Elm, who said he wants us to take the Mystery Egg with us. For once, I was actually looking forward to this call, as it means getting the third member of our team. I went over to the Pokemart to pick up the Egg from one of the professor’s aides and subsequently started running around Violet City like a madman to hatch it.

Now, I have to admit something here. I actually soft reset the game a few times because I kept hatching a Hustle Togepi. As much as I’m in for a challenge, Hustle just does Togepi more harm than good, so I have to go with Serene Grace. Thankfully, the third time the Egg hatches, the Togepi :togepi: actually has Serene Grace. He's even got a neat Mild Nature too. I named the little guy Cosmo and went on to train him up a bit. However, by the time he had reached level 7, I had become fed up with his lack of power, so I decided it would be best to evolve him first. So, I went back to Violet City to run around like a madman some more in order to raise his happiness.

Finally, Cosmo’s happiness was finally high enough so that he evolved into Togetic :togetic:. With all of the grunt work done, I could head south down Route 32 towards Azalea Town. As I defeated the final Fisherman, Jasmine attempted to evolve into Flaaffy for the first time, so I figured now would be a good time to head back to New Bark Town and show Prof. Elm my Togetic to obtain the Everstone. On this little trip back, I also explored Dark Cave a bit after teaching Jasmine Flash.

We reached the Pokécenter on the far end of Route 32 and subsequently went on through Union Cave towards Azalea Town. The Rock types in this cave, with their appalling Special Defense, posed no challenge for Cosmo’s Extrasensory. We reached Azalea Town, only to find Team Rocket mutilating Pokemon for their own profit in the Slowpoke Well. To date, I find this one of the cruelest plots in this series of supposed kids' games. Unfortunately, local hero Kurt injures his back as he goes to the rescue, so it comes down to us. After defeating a few wimpy grunts, we reach the leader of the pack, Proton.

I lead against Proton with Jasmine. He sends out his Zubat, which is swiftly taken out with a single ThunderShock.

Against Koffing, I decide to go for Thunder Wave first. In return, Koffing attempts to poison Jasmine, but misses. I switch to Cosmo, who takes a Smog on his way in, which deals a little damage and poisons him in the process. However, it doesn’t matter, as Koffing falls to the first Extrasensory Cosmo fires at him.

After saving the day, the Gym becomes available, so I go over there to defeat the Gym Trainers. However, my Pokemon are still a little underleveled for Bugsy afterwards, so I decide to train them up in Ilex Forest a bit. As I try to enter the forest, we get ambushed by my rival Silver. I sorta thought he wouldn’t appear until after the Gym. With my Pokemon were already at level 15/16, I went in, hoping for the best.

I led against Silver’s Gastly with Cosmo, although not by design. Gastly went for Curse before being taken out by Extrasensory.

Silver sent out Zubat next and I switched out Cosmo for Jasmine to prevent any more damage from Curse. Zubat went for Supersonic on the switch and then again on the next turn, but missed both times. Jasmine retaliated with Thundershock, which left Zubat at about 20% HP. The third Supersonic hit, unfortunately, and Jasmine immediately hit herself in Confusion. As Zubat’s Bite got Jasmine down to about 50% of her health, a second Thundershock broke through the confusion and took it out.

Lastly, Silver sent out Quilava. I went for Thunder Wave to paralyze it, which succeeded thanks to Jasmine snapping out of confusion. Quilava itself had gone for Leer, so I figured I’d better switch Jasmine out to prevent her from fainting. I switched Cosmo back in, who had his accuracy lowered on the switch by Smokescreen. Over the next few turns, Quilava lowered both Cosmo’s defense and accuracy a few more times with Leer and Smokescreen, but didn’t actually deal any damage, while Cosmo didn’t miss a single hit although his accuracy was very low.

It may not be due to Serene Grace, but the hax games have begun!

Afterwards, I headed into Ilex Forest to finish my training, which after all the experience from the rival battle consisted of me taking out as many as three Oddish before all of my Pokemon were at level 17, matching Bugsy’s Scyther. Therefore, we went on to defeat the Azalea Gym Leader!

I led with Icarus against Bugsy’s Scyther, in an attempt to fool the AI to not go for U-turn. After all, I was hoping to paralyze and thus permanently cripple it for the remainder of the match. My scheme worked, as Scyther went for Leer, after which he got paralyzed by Icarus’ Stun Spore. I went for Gust next, which took about 33% of Scyther’s health, while it got paralyzed. However, it swiftly came back with Quick Attack, which took 50% of Icarus’ HP. The second Gust took another 33% of its health, but a Sitrus Berry restored its health to about half.

I switched to Cosmo, as his Defense is considerably higher than Icarus’ at this point. Cosmo made a safe entrance as Scyther was paralyzed. Extrasensory and Quick Attack clashed, both taking about 20% of the other’s health each time. One Extrasensory left Scyther with only a sliver of health, but it was quickly healed to full by a Super Potion. However, thanks to some solid paraflinching from Cosmo, it took out Scyther while still at about half of his own health.

Both Bugsy’s Metapod and Kakuna couldn’t do much and were swiftly dispatched by Cosmo, earning us the Hive Badge!

And that's our second badge down! Next time, we'll head on to Goldenrod City in pursuit of badge number three!

TO BE CONTINUED

___

Icarus the Butterfree
Level: 17
50/26/25/34/32/34
Moveset:
  • Stun Spore
  • Sleep Powder
  • Gust
  • Confusion

Jasmine the Mareep
Level: 17
50/20/24/30/22/19
Item: Everstone
Moveset:
  • ThunderShock
  • Growl
  • Flash
  • Thunder Wave

Cosmo the Togetic
Level: 18
Nature: Mild
50/23/36/37/45/20
Ability: Serene Grace
Moveset:
  • Sweet Kiss
  • Charm
  • Extrasensory
  • Metronome

___

P.S. Inspired by @Deva's recent Solo run, I thought it might be fun to track how many times each of my Pokemon has fainted as a way to gauge their performance. So, for the first time, I present you:

Times whited out: 0

Times fainted:
:butterfree:: 1
:mareep:: 0
:togetic:: 0

I'll admit it, it's a bit anti-climactic at this point, but I fear these stats will increase quite a bit as we continue on.

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Part 3: Whittling Whitney down
Last time, we left off right after we beat Bugsy. This update, we start by making our way towards Goldenrod City. As we attempt to cross Ilex Forest, we encounter the charcoal maker’s apprentice, who has let his two Farfetch’d :farfetchd: run off into the forest. We decide to help the guy and find both ducks in no time, exploiting some rattling branches and their inherent lack of intelligence. The charcoal maker rewards us with the HM Cut we need to cross Ilex Forest. To be able to use it, I catch a female Paras :paras: in the forest. I name her Heidi, as she will also be the first model to be sketched by our future Smeargle.

Further on in the forest, we find the move tutor for Headbutt, which I teach to both Jasmine and Cosmo. Even though it’s a special attack, it should be great on Togetic, as Serene Grace boosts the flinch chance to a disgusting 60%.

As we arrive in Goldenrod City, I head over to the Radio Tower to earn the Radio card for my Poketch. Afterwards, we head on to the gym. In the gym, my Pokemon’s lack of power is starting to show, which culminates in a critical hit Pay Day from a Meowth that leaves Icarus at 1 HP. This doesn’t promise much good for the gym. gulp
I challenge Whitney with all of my Pokemon at level 19, the same as her Miltank.

vs.

I lead against Whitney’s Clefairy with Icarus. We start by putting Clefairy to sleep with Sleep Powder, but after Icarus deals about 20% with Gust, Clefairy immediately wakes up and retaliates with about 20% worth of Doubleslap damage. Icarus puts it to sleep again and a nice critical Gust on the next turn takes Clefairy into red. Whitney heals Clefairy with a Super Potion and Icarus takes it to about half its health before it wakes up. Clefairy goes for Metronome, which turns into a missed Submission. The combined Sleep Powder/Gust strategy proves enough to take out Clefairy in the next three turns.

vs.

Whitney sends out her dreaded Miltank next. It immediately goes for Rollout, taking Icarus to about 20% health. I attempt to paralyze it with Stun Spore, but its Lum Berry heals it up immediately. The next Rollout takes out Icarus.

vs.
I send in Jasmine, who tanks the third Rollout like a champ, with about half her health left over. Jasmine does succeed in paralyzing the Miltank with Thunder Wave, which should help tremendously in the rest of the battle. I subsequently go for two Flashes, before Miltank’s Stomp takes Jasmine to her red HP zone. We get off one more Flash before Rollout takes Jasmine out.

vs.

I send out Cosmo next and decide to go for a… dubious strategy. I’m not too proud of this one, but a man’s gotta do something against this thing. I attempt to paraflinch this thing to death with Headbutt. It appears to work, as Miltank reached the red zone while only getting off one Rollout in return. However, Miltank then hits two consecutive Milk Drinks, taking it right back up to nearly full health. We get it down to the red zone again, but Whitney spends another Super Potion. Argh!

Right as Miltank drops to the red zone again and Headbutt runs out of PP, it uses Milk Drink again. You’ve got to be kidding me. Robbed of our best strategy, we attempt to go for Extrasensory.Even though Extrasensory has a much lower chance of flinching and Miltank heals up a bunch more times, we finally take it out. Sigh of relief. We’ve got the Plain Badge.

So, I had kinda planned one update per Gym Badge, but this one is kinda short now, so we’ll just have to think of something else to do. What can a kid do in Goldenrod City? Ah, that’s right! They can gamble play an innocent game that has a luck-based component but doesn’t involve you wagering your coins.
So, we head on over to the Game Corner to play some good old Voltorb Flip. After about three hours of playing, we have racked up just over 15.000 coins. I spend them by buying a Silk Scarf, Wide Lens and Zoom Lens, as well as the TM for Flamethrower, which I teach to Cosmo :togetic:. I need something for Silver’s upcoming Magnemite after all. No one tell Moxie though, he'll get angery.

TO BE CONTINUED.

___

Icarus the Butterfree
Level: 19
55/28/28/38/35/37
Moveset:
  • Stun Spore
  • Sleep Powder
  • Gust
  • Confusion

Jasmine the Mareep
Level: 19
55/22/26/34/24/21
Item: Everstone
Moveset:
  • ThunderShock
  • Headbutt
  • Flash
  • Thunder Wave

Cosmo the Togetic
Level: 20
Nature: Mild
55/25/39/41/49/22
Ability: Serene Grace
Item: Charcoal
Moveset:
  • Flamethrower
  • Charm
  • Extrasensory
  • Headbutt

___

Times whited out: 0

Times fainted:
:butterfree::2
:mareep::1
:togetic::0

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Togetic's faint counter being at 0 greatly pleases me. Cosmo is going to be the MVP of this run, I'm calling it now.

On a sidenote, that fight with Whitney must have been the most annoying thing ever. I've struggled with her a few times in the past but never to this extend. Whoever scripted that fight and came up with the strategy/moveset must love to make others suffer.