Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
As Pokemon fans, we pride ourselves in our ability to remember the names of so many different creatures. With visual clues, it is quite easy to name every single Pokemon if you've played the games and/or watched the show for an extended period of time.

However, how many Pokemon would you be able to name by heart if all you get is a list with Pokedex numbers?

I've decided to put my knowledge to the test by doing a series of quizzes on Sporcle to name all Pokemon from Gen 1 to Gen 7 and here are the results. I will also leave the links for each separate quiz in case you guys want to try it out for yourself. If you do, please share your results below! (Also I hope I posted this in the right section)

Generation 1 ー 99% (149/151)

Almost a perfect score, but the Cubone line just completely slipped my mind. I was kind of frustrated afterwards because I feel like it's one of the more memorable Pokemon of Gen 1 because of the mini story arc it gets at the Pokemon Tower. I was going through the games while filling this out, but when I got to Lavender Town, I just thought 'ghosts!' and moved on. Sorry Cubone and Marowak.

Generation 2 ー 95% (95/100)

The only ones I'm upset about here are Aipom because it's one of my favorites and Unown because of its appearance in the third movie. The other three are extremely forgettable and I would probably still not remember them if I were to fill out this quiz a second time.

Generation 3 ー 96% (130/135)

Generation 3 is when I started playing the games, so I'm happy I could get a good score for this generation. I still can't believe I forgot about Feebas/Milotic, but the other three I've never paid much attention to so I can understand why I would forget them.

Generation 4 ー 91% (97/107)

This is where things started to get tricky because I haven't played the gen 4 games that much. I actually did better than I expected, although I'm still kicking myself for forgetting about obvious Pokemon like Rotom and Weavile. There's just so many evolutions to older Pokemon, I knew I was missing some but I couldn't think of them at the moment.

Generation 5 ー 90% (140/156)

Generation 5 has such a large Pokedex, I knew this was going to be a tough one. I was focusing so much on the more obscure Pokemon like Accelgor and Druddigon that I ended up forgetting about obvious ones like the Pidove line (confirmed worst bird) and the Vanillite line.

Generation 6 ー 89% (64/72)

Generation 6 was hard because there's such a large variety of wild Pokemon in X/Y and so little actual Kalos Pokemon, they just become forgettable. I definitely should have remembered about the Fairy type version exclusives but the time limit (which was only half of the other ones) really got me towards the end. The names of these Pokemon don't come to mind as easily as the other 5 gens, so sometimes I wasted a few seconds just trying to link the mental image in my head to the actual name of the Pokemon.

Generation 7 ー 83% (73/88)

I knew Generation 7 would be my worst score because this is another generation where I felt like Pokemon from other generations were more present in the games than actual Alola Pokemon. Overall, I think I did better than expected, especially with remembering the names of the UBs. Oricorio and Pyukumuku are two Pokemon I should have remembered and I also drew a blank on the name of Cosmog's evolution. I knew it existed but just couldn't recall it.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Should have screenshotted results. Oh well.

Generation 1: 123/151
Vulpix, Ninetales, Psyduck, Golduck, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Magnemite, Magneton, Drowzee, Hypno, Exeggcute, Exeggcutor, Cubone, Marowak, Lickitung, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Chansey, Tangela, Kangaskhan, Goldeen, Seaking, and Porygon

Generation 2: 50/100
Spinarak, Ariados, Crobat, Chinchou, Lanturn, Igglybuff, Natu, Xatu, Bellossom, Marill, Azumarill, Politoed, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Aipom, Sunkern, Sunflora, Wooper, Quagsire, Misdreavus, Unown, Wobbuffet, Girafarig, Pineco, Forretress, Dunsparce, Gligar, Snubbull, Granbull, Qwilfish, Shuckle, Heracross, Slugma, Magcargo, Corsola, Octillery, Delibird, Kingdra, Phanpy, Donphan, Porygon2, Stantler, Smeargle, Tyrogue, Hitmontop, Blissey, Larvitar, Pupitar, and Tyranitar.

Completely spaced on Remoraid evolving.

Generation 3: 53/135
Blaziken, Swampert, Poochyena, Mightyena, Wurmple, Silcoon, Beautifly, Cascoon, Dustox, Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Taillow, Swellow, Surskit, Masquerain, Nincada, Ninjask, Shedninja, Azurill, Nosepass, Skitty, Delcatty, Sableye, Mawile, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Meditite, Medicham, Volbeat, Illumise, Gulpin, Swalot, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Wailmer, Wailord, Numel, Camerupt, Spoink, Grumpig, Spinda, Cacnea, Cacturne, Zangoose, Seviper, Barboach, Whiscash, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Lileep, Cradily, Anorith, Armaldo, Feebas, Milotic, Castform, Kecleon, Duskull, Dusclops, Tropius, Snorunt, Glalie, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Clamperl, Huntail, Gorebyss, Relicanth, Luvdisc, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Jirachi, Deoxys

Could not think of the final evolutions of Torchic or Mudkip. Knew what they looked like. Could not come up with a name.

Actually traded for several of these Pokemon (Cacnea, Numel, Skitty, Gulpin) in the past two weeks in Ultra Sun. Remembered Solrock and Lunatone as a result, though.

Generation 4: 44/107
Grtole, Monferno, Infernape, Prinplup, Kricketot, Kricketune, Burmy, Wormadam, Mothim, Combee, Vespiquen, Buizel, Floatzel, Cherubi, Cherrim, Shellos, Gastrodon, Ambipom, Drifloon, Drifblim, Buneary, Lopunny, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Glameow, Purugly, Bronzor, Bronzong, Bonsly, Mime Jr, Happiny, Chatot, Gabite, Munchlax, Riolu, Lucario, Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Skorupi, Drapion, Croagunk, Toxicroak, Carnivine, Finneon, Lumineon, Snover, Abomasnow, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Yanmega, Gliscor, Mamoswine, Porygon-Z, Gallade, Dusknour, Rotom, Azelf, Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, and Shaymin.

About as expected. Played this generation the least. Corrupted the save file around the seventh gym. Managed to continue playing on it, somehow. Reloaded previous saves constantly or something. Shrugs. Beat the game. Never played beyond that.

Tends to forget middle evolutions.

Wrote several of the missing ones for earlier generations (Cherrim, Munchlax, Rhyperior, Yanmega). Named a lot of fifth generation Pokemon, also. Will see if they are remembered or not.

Traded for Glameow and Kricketot in the past two weeks also.

Generation 5: 65/156
Tepig, Dewott, Samurott, Patrat, Watchog, Pansage, Simisage, Pansear, Simisear, Panpour, Simipour, Woobat, Swoobat, Drilbur, Excadrill, Palpitoad, Sewaddle, Swadloon, Leavanny, Venipede, Whirlipede, Scolipede, Cottonee, Whimsicott, Petilil, Lilligant, Basculin, Darumaka, Darmanitan, Maractus, Dwebble, Crustle, Tirtouga, Carracosta, Zorua, Zoroark, Minccino, Cinccino, Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus, Ducklett, Swanna, Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe, Karrablast, Escavalier, Foongus, Amoonguss, Frillish, Jellicent, Alomomola, Joltik, Galvantula, Ferroseed, Ferrothorn, Tynamo, Eelektrik, Eelektross, Axew, Fraxure, Haxorus, Beartic, Cryogonal, Shelmet, Accelgor, Stunfisk, Mienfoo, Mienshao, Druddigon, Golett, Golurk, Pawniard, Bisharp, Rufflet, Braviary, Vullaby, Mandibuzz, Deion, Zwelious, Hydregigon, Larvesta, Volcarona, Tornadus, Thundurus, Zekrom, Landorus, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect.

Ran out of time, unlike with previous generations. Also, why are these names so difficult to spell? Looked some up (Cofagrigus, Krokorok, Krookodile, Elgyem, Beheeyem).

Entered Woobat, Dwebble, Ferrothorn, Foongus, and Axew (twice) for previous generations, but not this one.

Generation 6: 35/72
Quilladin, Delphox, Flabebe, Floette, Florges, Skiddo, Pancham, Pangoro, Spritzee, Aromatisse, Swirlix, Slurpuff, Inkay, Malamar, Binacle, Barbaracle, Skrelp, Dragalge, Clauncher, Clawitzer, Helioptile, Heliolisk, Amaura, Sylveon, Hawlucha, Dedenne, Carbink, Sliggoo, Klefki, Phantump, Trevenant, Pumpkaboo, Gourgeist, Xerneas, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion

Hit the time limit again. Needed way more than six minutes. Could not mentally go through areas, like in previous generations (especially Generation 1).

Remembered Binacle and Helioptile. Could not pull their name out. Recalled Amaura being close to Aurorus, but slightly odd. Gave up on that.

Generation 7: 54/88
Dartrix, Decidueye, Brionne, Salandit, Salazzle, Stufful, Bewear, Steenee, Sandygast, Palossand, Pyukumuku, Type: Null, Silvally, Dhelmise, Hakamo-o, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Nihilego, Buzzwole, Phermosa, Xuritree, Celesteela, Kartana, Guzzlord, Magearna, Marshadow, Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon, Meltan, Melmetal

Took a break between quizzes. Helped a bit. Still wanted at least five more minutes. Rushed through Akala. Ended while thinking about Ula'ula. Never even made it to Ultra Beasts in the story. Left all of them blank.

Abandoned trying to think of Brionne and Steenee. Felt the time crunch.

Overall: 424/809 (52.4%)

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
This was a mistake. It was an even bigger mistake to do them all at once.
Gen 1: 90/151 (60%)
Gen 2: 47/100 (47%)
Gen 3: 90/135 (67%)
Gen 4: 40/107 (37%)
Gen 5: 63/156 (40%)
Gen 6: 27/72 (38%)
Gen 7: 47/88 (53%)
Overall: 404/809 (50%)

keejot

flame bearer
as it turns out, i am a casual
91/151 (60%)
honestly most of these i remembered because of the pokespe manga lol
Spearow
Fearow
sandshrew
sandslash
clefairy
clefable
Oddish
Gloom
Vileplume
Paras
Parasect
Venonat
Venomoth
mankey
primeape
Machop
Machoke
Machamp
Bellsprout
Weepinbell
Victreebel
Tentacool
Tentacruel
slowpoke
slowbro
farfetch'd
Dewgong
Grimer
Muk
Drowzee
Hypno
Krabby
Kingler
Exeggcute
Exeggutor
Cubone
Marowak
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Lickitung
Koffing
Weezing
Tangela
Kangaskhan
Horsea
Seabra
scyther
jynx
pinsir
tauros
lapras
ditto
Omanyte
Omastar
Kabuto
Kabutops
Aerodactyl
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite
36/100 (36%)
this went poorly to say the least lmao. can't believe i forgot all the baby pokemon
Sentret
Furret
Hoothoot
Noctowl
Ledyba
Ledian
Spinarak
Ariados
Crobat
Chinchou
Lanturn
Pichu
Cleffa
Igglybuff
Togepi
Togetic
Marill
Azumarill
Sudowoodo
Politoed
Hoppip
Skiploom
Jumpluff
yanma
wooper
quagsire
Slowking
Misdreavus
Unown
Wobbuffet
Girafarig
Pineco
Forretress
Dunsparce
Gligar
Snubbull
Granbull
Qwilfish
Scizor
Shuckle
Heracross
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Slugma
Magcargo
Corsola
Remoraid
Octillery
Delibird
Mantine
Skarmory
Houndour
Houndoom
Phoney
Donphan
Porygon2
Stantler
Smeargle
Tyrogue
Hitmontop
Smoochum
Elekid
Magby
larvitar
pupitar
tyranitar
57/135 (42%)
oof, better than gen 2 but still not a passing grade
Lotad
Lombre
Ludicolo
Seedot
Taillow
Swellow
Surskit
Masquerain
Shroomish
Breloom
Nincada
Ninjask
Shedinja
Whismur
Loudred
Exploud
Makuhita
Hariyama
Azurill
Nosepass
Sableye
Mawile
Aron
Lairon
Aggron
Meditite
Medicham
Electrike
Manectric
Plusle
Minun
Volbeat
Illumise
Roselia
Gulpin
Swalot
Carvanha
Wailmer
Wailord
Torkoal
Spoink
Grumpig
Spinda
Trapinch
Vibrava
Flygon
Swablu
Altaria
Zangoose
Seviper
Barboach
Whiscash
Corphish
Crawdaunt
Baltoy
Claydol
Armaldo
Kecleon
Duskull
Dusclops (was on the verge of remembering these two just as the timer ran out)
Tropius
Chimecho
Wynaut
Snorunt
Glalie
Spheal
Sealeo
Walrein
Clamperl
Huntail
Gorebyss
Luvdisc
Bagon
Shelgon
Salamence
Latias
Latios
Deoxys
62/107 (49%)
started off strong and then really struggled get like 10 more in 6 minutes
kricketot
kriketune
Cranidos
Rampardos
Shieldon
Bastiodon
Burmy
Wormadam
Mothim
Pachirisu
Buizel
Floatzel
Cherubi
Cherrim
Shellos
Gastrodon
Ambipom
Buneary
Lopunny
Mismagius
Chingling
Stunky
Skuntank
Bronzor
Bronzong
Mime Jr.
Chatot
Munchlax
Riolu
lucario
Hippopotas
Hippowdon
Skorupi
Drapion
Croagunk
Toxicroak
Carnivore
Magnezone
Lickilicky
Rhyperior
Electivire
Magmortar
Togekiss
Yanmega
Porygon-Z
Gallade
Probopass
Dusknoir
Froslass
Rotom
heatran
Cresselia
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
66/156 (42%)
had a decent amount of trouble with spelling for these
patrat
watchog
stoutland (honestly forgot that hardier evolved again oops)
purrloin
liepard
blitzle
roggenrola
audino
tympole
palpitoad
seismitoad
sewaddle
swadloon
leavanny
venipede
Cottonee
Whimsicott
Petilil
Lilligant
Basculin
Sandile
Krokorok
Krookodile
Darumaka
Darmanitan
Dwebble
Crustle
Scraggy
Scrafty
Sigilyph
Tirtouga
Carracosta
Archen
Archeops
Trubbish
Zorua
Zoroark
Minccino
Cinccino
Duosion
Ducklett
Swanna
Deerling
Sawsbuck
Emolga
Karrablast
Escavalier
Foongus
Amoonguss
Frillish
Jellicent
Alomomola
Joltik
Galvantula
Ferroseed
Pokémon
Ferrothorn
Klink
Klang
Klinklang
Tynamo
Eelektrik
Eelektross
Elgyem
Beheeyem
Litwick
Lampent
Chandelure
Fraxure
Cubchoo
Beartic
Cryogonal
Shelmet
Accelgor
Stunfisk
Druddigon
Golett
Golurk
Pawniard
Bisharp
Bouffalant
Vullaby
Mandibuzz
Heatmor
Durant
Deino
Zweilous
Hydreigon
Larvesta
meloetta
genesect
17/72 (24%)
Big OOF this went very badly. i haven't played x in ages.
Frogadier
Bunnelby
Diggersby
Fletchling
Fletchinder
Talonflame
Scatterbug
Spewpa
Vivillon
Litleo
Pyroar
Floette
Skiddo
Gogoat
Pancham
Pangoro
Furfrou
Espurr
Meowstic
Honedge
Doublade
Aegislash
Spritzee
Aromatisse
Swirlix
Slurpuff
Inkay
Malamar
Skrelp
Dragalge
Clauncher
Clawitzer
Helioptile
Heliolisk
Tyrant
Tyrantrum
Amaura
Aurorus
Hawlucha
Dedenne
Carbink
Goomy
Sliggoo
Goodra
Phantump
Trevenant
Pumpkaboo
Gourgeist
Bergmite
Avalugg
Noibat
Noivern
Diancie
Hoops
Volcanion
8/88 (9%)
easier to list the ones i actually remembered LOL
rowlet
dartrix
litten
incineroar
popplio
primarina
solgaleo
lunala
in my defence, i never actually played SM

so i got 329/809 (41%) overall. it would seem I'm not the pokemon fan i used to be :pensiveazurill:

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
Man, I got excited when I read a post mentioning Sporcle, since I'm an active user on the site. Unfortunately, it turns out I've already played and gotten 100% on all of these quizzes at some point (it appears I took most of them in 2010-12, then I took the ones for Gens 6 and 7 soon after they were released). But it's been a couple years. Let's see how well I hold up!

By far the easiest quiz because I memorized the Pokedex numbers and orders when I first got into Pokemon. Thanks, book that was nothing more than a Pokedex!

Missed Girafarig and Corsola. Gen 2's Pokedex is really weird in that there are so many evolutions/babies of Gen 1 Pokemon scattered all over and the order and doesn't align well with the order one would encounter them.

Most of this wasn't too bad but remembering the final two (Baltoy/Claydol) took a while.

Forgot Spiritomb. The challenge with this generation is remembering all of the evolutions and babies of Pokemon of previous generations and the ones that have no evolution.

[imghttps://imgur.com/jI6j5E1[/img]
I've replayed these games quite a bit and the Pokedex completely follows the order in which they can be obtained, so overall this one wasn't too bad.

Missed Carbink, Litleo, and Pyroar. There really weren't a lot of new Pokemon in this generation...

Clearly I needed a break at this point. Missed all the Tapus, Mareanie/Toxapex, Comfey, Oranguru, Passimian, Komala, and Fomantis/Lurantis. One of my problems with this quiz was that I kept thinking of Alolan forms because they're more memorable to me...

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
It just got progressively worse as I kept going...

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Ooh, I'd love to try these quizzes! My memory is pretty good, so I tend to enjoy things like these a lot. Still, I have only played the games up until gen 5, so I'm curious to see how poorly gen 6 and 7 will go.

Generation 1 - 147/151 (97%)

I didn't have too much trouble listing most of these. Generation 1 has so many generic Water types though, so I can forgive myself for forgetting two of those lines.

Generation 2 - 94/100 (94%)

Man, generation 2 is so difficult, because it's mostly a bunch of single baby Pokemon and evolutions of gen 1 Pokemon. I also tend to forget that some Pokemon are from gen 2 instead of gen 3 (such as Skarmory, Corsola and Girafarig). Still, I like to think that I did pretty well. Aside from the fact that I remembered Togepi but forgot to enter Togetic, that's a big dumb.

Generation 3 - 132/135 (98%)

I got into Pokemon in generation 3 and Emerald is both my second Pokemon game ever and the Pokemon game I played the most (by a landslide). Therefore, it's not too surprising that I did pretty well on this one. Each of the three mons I forgot is pretty forgettable, so I'm not mad about missing those.

Generation 4 - 104/107 (97%)

Gen 4 came out around the time I was SUPER into Pokemon, so once again, I kinda expected to do well on this one. I hadn't expected to miss two of the added evolution to earlier lines though, since those Pokemon are just about the coolest feature to the gen 4 dex.

Generation 5 - 156/156 (100%)

Woo baby, perfect score! I love the generation 5 games so much lol.

Generation 6 - 48/72 (67%)

Alright, so I never actually played these games, so this is where my lack of knowledge is starting to show. Still, I did watch some videos on X&Y and I played a bit of competitive in this gen too, so I had expected to do a little better on this. I guess it's because A) There's a lot of available Pokemon in X&Y, but not as much Pokemon original to Kalos and B) I kept getting distracted by the Mega-Evolutions that didn't count lol.

Generation 7 - 54/88 (61%)

I'm so unfamiliar with Sun & Moon. I didn't even watch too many videos on them, so these games are almost completely unknown to me. The only thing that saved me from complete disgrace on this one is the fact that I got back into competitive (including Random Battles) recently.

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Don't have the time for all of them right now, but I did Kanto! Got 121/151, with a nice round 80%. Another shoutout to PokeSpe cuz it definitely helped lol.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
Generation 1 ー 100% (151/151)

Almost succeeded in doing it in Pokedex order, but made two minor slip-ups. I mixed up the order of the Omanyte and Kabuto families, and thought Snorlax was after the Legendary Birds. Game also entered Pidgeot as I typed Pidgeotto and Mew as I typed Mewtwo and filled in both Nidoran Female and Nidoran Male with just Nidoran, but that's not my fault.

Generation 2 ー 99% (99/100)

Did them in Pokedex order up to Piloswine. Then had to jump around. Knew I'd kick myself when I saw what 235 was. How did I forget that?

Generation 3 ー 91% (123/135)

9.1/10 I fail at my own region. No idea how I forgot Ralts line.

Generation 4 ー 94% (101/107)

About what I expected.

Generation 5 ー 74% (115/156)

I really feel this one needed a longer time limit. This is an absolutely massive one, the biggest in the group and the next biggest that isn't the easy Gen 1 is significantly smaller. I did have an embarrassing performance regardless though. I should pick up the Unova games again, because I missed a lot of good Pokemon here. Notably, this is where I start forgetting the names of some of the Pokemon in an evolution line.

Generation 6 ー 61% (44/72)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Gen 6.

(Seriously, it's spelled Viivillon?)

I don't dislike this Gen, but I think even Gamefreak refuses to really give these guys proper attention.

Generation 7 ー 81% (71/88)

I really do feel the time limit was excessively short on this one. This is where spelling really starts to cause me problems. Hakamo-o, Zeraora, and Morrelull I all just couldn't spell. I lost a sizable chunk of time to spelling Palossand and Magearna as well. Also threw me off that all the Mythicals aren't at the end here so I kept thinking the last 3 were Magearna, Marshadow, and Zeraora and didn't realize I had correctly entered the first two, because I forgot about Meltan and Melmetal. Gen 7's Pokedex end is weird.

Could not remember Grubbin's name for the life of me, though.

Wow, I did pretty poorly here.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Gen 1: 100%
Gen 2: 100% (Barely, I spent 5 minutes trying to remember Mantine)
Gen 3: 99%. I forgot about Castform.
Gen 4: 93%. Damn, my fave gen and I missed 7. Forgot Mismagius, Honchkrow, Spiritomb, Carnivine, Finneon, Lumineon and Mantyke.
Gen 5: 98%. I managed to miss Pawniard, Bisharp and Basculin. The latter isn't a surprise
Gen 6: 93% again. Missed Inkay, Malamar, Binacle, Barbaracle and Sylveon.
Gen 7: 100%! I got most of them pretty quick with the exception of Minior, Drampa and Lurantis.