Nuzlocke Child's Play: Dilly-Jo's Let's Go Pikachu! Nuzlocke

Dilly-Jo

New Trainer
me: "LGP/E are so different from the regular Pokemon games. I'm not even gonna bother getting these games."

also me: *sees how beautiful the games are and buys LGP on an impulse*

So with that, I'm gonna mark my return to the challenge run game with a Let's Go Pikachu! Nuzlocke! I'll warn y'all in advance, I doubt this will be consistently updated. I have finals in two weeks, which isn't that big of a deal, since my finals schedule is pretty easy this semester. But, Smash Ultimate also comes out in two weeks, which means whatever free time I do have will probably be spent playing Ultimate. So basically, we'll see how far I get this week, and then we'll see how far I get over Christmas break before I get more videogames on Christmas. In any case, let's look at the rules I'll be using for this challenge:

First, the basic nuzlocke rules:
  1. I can only use the first Pokemon I capture on each route.
  2. Any Pokemon that faints is considered dead and can no longer be used.
  3. All Pokemon will be given a nickname.
Next, a few rules which will actually take advantage of the game's design to make it a little easier:
  1. I do not have to battle the first Pokemon I see on each route; rather, my encounter will be the first Pokemon I enter into battle with. This means I will have a little bit of freedom to choose my encounter on each route.
  2. Since traditional grinding isn't possible in this game, I will allow myself to capture Pokemon for the purpose of training. However, these Pokemon cannot be used, and must be released as soon as possible (or sent to the professor; I'm going into this game pretty much blind, so I don't actually know what sending Pokemon to the professor means, but I've heard it's a thing, so we'll see).
And finally, since I feel certain this game is pretty easy, a few stipulations to make things more difficult:
  1. I may not switch out during battle. This is similar to my rule for gym leaders in my old Pearl Nuzlocke in that once a Pokemon is in battle, it must either defeat its opponent or die trying. Of course, it is different in that this rule will apply to every single trainer in the game. However, once my Pokemon defeats the opposing Pokemon, I can switch out before the opponent sends out their next Pokemon.
  2. To accompany this rule, I may only use three healing items per Pokemon per battle.

And that about covers it! This will be in a bullet point format, because I don't have the time to make a story format out of this. My game is getting delivered later today, so hopefully I can get the first update out tonight or tomorrow!

EDIT: I finished the first update's worth and I don't feel like waiting 'til tomorrow, so...

• Professor Oak appears to me, Dylan, in a dream. He questions my gender, throws a Cubone at me, and asks the name of the boy who may or not be his grandson.
  • I awake from this fever dream to realize I have manifested into a physical form in front of my tv.
  • My rival, Garold, breaks into my house and tells me to read the email he sent me, rather than just telling me what the email said since we were face-to-face and it was entirely impractical to wait for me to read it. Sigh...
  • I meet Professor Oak at the edge or Route 1, where I am ambushed by a wild Pikachu! However, he doesn't seem to want to battle, so I simply capture him.
  • My new Pikachu, which clearly has ADHD, rolls away in its Pokeball, all the way to Professor Oak's lab. Once we catch up to him, he joins my team, and I name him Speedster.
  • Garold selects the second Pokeball on Oak's desk, which contains an Eevee. The contents of the third Pokeball remain a mystery.
  • After that, the game doesn't really tell me what to do, so I assume I'm supposed to get Oak's parcel ike in the original games.
  • On the way to Viridian City, I catch an Oddish on Route 1, whom I name Clump, and a Rattata on Route 22, whom I name Ratatouille (I also realize I could have caught a Nidoran-M on Route 22 instead and I am sad).
  • In Viridian, I get a brief glimpse of Team Rocket, but I decide to ignore them until I return.
  • Sure enough, I am given a parcel by the PokeMart owner in Viridian. I'm also granted the option to teleport directly back to Pallet Town. That's a nice feature.
  • Garold and I once again meet in Oak's lab, where we are given Pokedexes. Garold challenges me to a battle, and Chump is able to make quick (okay, not so quick) work of his Eevee.
  • I make my way back to Viridian, now fighting a few trainers along the way. To my surprise, Team Rocket is no longer in Viridian City. Guess they blasted off already.
  • I step onto Route 2, but I don't immediately see a new Pokemon, so I decide to wait and see if the second half has anything cool.
  • I enter Viridian Forest, where I catch a tiny Caterpie named Squirt. I train him up against the trainers in the forest, since my other Pokemon have leveled up quite quickly from what I'll call catch-grinding.
  • I return to the Pokemon Center in Viridian to heal at one point, and without thinking I catch a Weedle on Route 2 and send him to the professor, forgetting it should have been my encounter. Oh well.
  • I also mindlessly button mash once my Caterpie reaches level 7 and accidentally cancel his evolution. Today has been a struggle.
  • So, for next time I'll catch-grind all of my Pokemon and take on the Pewter City Gym.

Name: Speedster the Pikachu
Level: 10
Moves: Thunder Shock
Double Kick
Tail Whip
Quick Attack

Name: Clump the Oddish
Level: 9
Moves: Absorb
Growth
Acid

Name: Ratatouille the Rattata
Level: 7
Moves: Tackle
Tail Whip
Quick Attack

Name: Squirt the Caterpie
Level: 7
Moves: Tackle
String Shot

N/A

None

I haven't looked up possible encounters on the routes up to this point, and I've missed some ideal picks as a result. Are there any super cool Pokemon you think I should keep an eye out for on the coming routes?

Last edited:

Dilly-Jo

New Trainer
  • I catch enough wild Pokemon to get my entire team up to level 10.
  • I enter the gym, facing off against the gym trainers, all of whom use level 7 Pokemon. Perhaps I'm overleveled.
  • Nope, Brock leads with a level 11 Geodude. Definitely not overleveled.
  • In any case, a couple of Double Kicks (one Quadruple Kick?) from Speedster gets rid of the Geodude, while Brock's gargantuan Onix falls to a single Absorb from Clump. With that, I earn my Pewter City Gym Badge and the TM for Headbutt, which can apparently be learned by every Pokemon, which is pretty neat.
  • At some point, I obtain a TM for Pay Day. So I guess that's a TM now. Neat.
  • From there, I head out onto Route 3, battling trainers who remind me of the good ol' days, with their obsessive love of shorts and whatnot. I also encounter my first Coach Trainer, whose Bulbasaur Ratatouille easily conquers in three Headbutts (btw, the first two Headbutts made Bulbasaur flinch).
  • In the grass, I encounter a Mankey whom I name Monkey.
  • After a few more battles, some of which do get a little dicey, I found myself on the first part of Route 4. I decline the offer of a Magikarp in the Pokemon Center, and I enter Mt. Moon.
  • Inside, I come across Jessie and James of Team Rocket! They seem pretty upset that their Meowth was sleeping on the job. Personally, I'm more upset that their Meowth can't speak English.
  • I initially avoid Pokemon in Mt. Moon in the hopes of coming across a Clefairy, but I end up running into a Zubat on accident. I capture him and name him Stevie.
  • I manage to defeat everyone in Mt. Moon easily enough, including a few Rocket Grunts, and Jessie and James themselves. My closest call came when I sent Monkey in against an opposing Hypno. Though he got put to sleep and hit with a Confusion (which confused him), he managed to wake up after only one turn, and I only needed to use one Potion on him.
  • One of my last opponents is some greedy nerd who doesn't wanna share his fossils. To be fair, he did dig them up himself, but if murdering his Pokemon gets me some free stuff, then I'm game. I defeat him and take the Dome Fossil. What's a Lord Helix to a Kabuto?
  • I also found a Chansey which I caught and sent to the professor because I know those things give mad experience.
  • I also found a Clefable, which I didn't know could be found in Mt. Moon, even though I looked up what Pokemon could be found in Mt. Moon beforehand.
  • Ultimately, I found myself on the latter half of Route 4. Next time I'll catch a Pokemon here as I make my way to Cerulean City.

Level: 14
Moves: Thunder Shock
Double Kick
Headbutt
Quick Attack

Poison Powder
Acid
Sleep Powder

Moves: Headbutt
Tail Whip
Quick Attack
Bite

Name: Squirt the Butterfree
Sleep Powder
Poison Powder
Gust

Name: Monkey the Mankey
Moves: Karate Chop
Pay Day
Headbutt
Taunt

Name: Stevie the Zubat
Headbutt
Wing Attack
Bite

none

none

What was your first Pokemon game? Mine was Pearl!

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
I will say, although I at first wasn't THAT interested in Let's Go at first, I will agree that the game does look gorgeous on the Switch. But it is VERY cool what this game throws at you at times! As for my first Pokemon game, well, mine was the original Red way back. When I was a noob.

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
A Nuzlocke in Let's Go? Now that's interesting. I once heard from a random person in Youtube that it's impossible to do a Nuzlocke challenge in LGP/E, yet you do. I might redirect them here as well. Just keep it up, 'kay? :winkazurill:

As for the QOTD, mine was Leaf Green on a GBA emulator. That was all I had back then, so... :pensiveazurill:

Dilly-Jo

New Trainer
@Pendraflare I haven't watched any Let's Plays of this game or anything, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this game has in store.

@sanianisa Following the normal nuzlocke rules works well enough in this game. Time will tell if this challenge will hold up in difficulty in comparison to other nuzlockes. I definitely think the added no switching rule will up the difficulty a little bit.

With that, let's see how this adventure treats our hero in today's update.

• I walk around Route 4 for a bit, and am mildly confused by all the ledges. I see a Pokeball lying on the ground which I am unable to access. FeelsBadMan.
  • I encounter a wild Sandshrew, but it runs away before I am able to catch it. I forgot that can happen in this game. How inconvenient.
  • Even so, I make my way to Cerulean City, where I am gifted with a Bulbasaur whom I name Spruce. I decide to keep him in the box, as I don't need both him and Clump on the team.
  • Some dude in the Pokemon Center offers to teach a move called Zippy Zap to Speedster. Doesn't sound very intimidating, but it's stronger than Thunder Shock, so I'll take it.
  • In Cerulean City, Garold runs into me speaking utter nonsense and challenges me to a battle. I don't think it's very wise for him to be battling under the influence, as my team defeats his with little trouble.
  • I make my way north, and I encounter a group of trainers on the Nugget Bridge. Is this the Elite Four and Champion I've heard so much about? In any case, I defeat them all with little difficulty.
  • For my achievement, a kind trainer offers me a Nugget. He also offers me a job at Team Rocket. What a day! Wait, it's not letting me accept the job offer... Lame.
  • Nevertheless, I defeat the Rocket Grunt, and make my way onto Route 24.
  • Since the encounters on Route 24 and 25 are the same, I decide to take the Charmander as my Route 24 encounter. I name him Slip, and I add him to the party, sending Stevie to the box.
  • I put Slip in the lead, and begin challenging the trainers on Route 25. I also find a Psyduck, whom I catch and name Smartyskirt.
  • I send Slip in against a trainer who uses a level 15 Pidgeotto. It lowers Slip's accuracy with two Sand Attacks and Slip's Ember only takes away about 1/5 of its health. Not good.
  • After Slip misses an Ember, the Pidgeotto connects a Wing Attack for over half of Slip's health. Even worse.
  • I use up my three Potions, but the Pidgeotto keeps Wing Attacking. There's nothing I can do to save Slip. That didn't last long.
  • I'm used to putting dead Pokemon in a graveyard box in the PC, but this game doesn't grant me that option, so I send Slip to the professor and put Stevie back on the team.
  • I eventually reach Bill's house, where I'm greeted by a talking, bipedal Nidorino! He reveals himself to be Bill, and tells me to activate his Cell Separating System for him. I'm not so sure I'm qualified to operate this high-tech machine. I'm a humanities major!
  • The machine works, and Bill is reverted to human form as the Nidorino runs back into the wild.
  • After leaving Bill's house, I fight a Coach Trainer outside. Stevie eliminates her Machop with a couple of Wing Attacks, and I am given the TM for Seismic Toss.
  • With that, I return to Cerulean City. I'll train my party before taking on Misty next time.

Level: 16
Moves: Zippy Zap
Double Kick
Headbutt
Thunder Wave

Level: 16
Poison Powder
Acid
Sleep Powder

Level: 15
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Bite

Sleep Powder
Poison Powder
Gust

Pay Day
Headbutt
Taunt

Headbutt
Wing Attack
Bite

• Spruce the Bulbasaur: Level 12
  • Smartyskirt the Psyduck: Level 9

Name: Slip the Charmander
Received in Part 3, Died in Part 3

Oh the cruelness of fate, that our time together was so short! I've always loved Charmander, and I had high hopes for you. The fact that you had to face the one trainer who was inexplicably stronger than every other trainer we've encountered thus far is terribly, terribly unfortunate. Thanks for your effort little buddy.

Well, my dreams of having a Charizard fell apart pretty quickly. What's the quickest you've ever lost a teammate in a nuzlocke? This Charmander only lasted about five minutes, so I think this is a new record for me.

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Quickest loss, eh? Mine was that Route 1 Pikipek girl in Moon. She died long before I even got to access the PC, yet auto-heals still happened, so...

Last edited:

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Wow...
Shame you lost a potentially good Pokemon.
Hope Misty goes well for you.

Dilly-Jo

New Trainer
@sanianisa Yikes, that is mega early.

@Greninjaman Pour one out for the lost Charizard brethren. And as a nice segue, why don't we take a look at my battle with Misty now...?

• While training, I become increasingly aware of how absurd the movepool in this game. Why is my Pikachu trying to learn Light Screen, and why does my Rattata already know Crunch? Since I'm not looking up Pokemon's movesets, I find all these new moveset additions to be hilarious.
  • After getting the entire party up to level 18, I enter the Cerulean City gym. A bunch of divers come up to me bragging about their beauty and their diving prowess. After I tell them that they all look and dive exactly the same, they get so upset, that they start throwing hands with me!
  • I use Speedster to scout out the first trainer and make sure my team is appropriately leveled. After determining that we are, I let Ratatouille handle the rest of the gym trainers, and she continues to prove herself to be the Headbutt-flinch-master!
  • In no time, I make my way to the back of the gym, where I challenge Ash's former best friend, Misty!
  • I send out Clump in order to take on her Staryu... which turns out to be an Psyduck in this game.
  • Clump lands a decently strong Razor Leaf, but things get a little dicey when the Psyduck lands a decently strong Confusion and confuses Clump. Clump hits himself in his confusion on the next turn and takes another strong Confusion.
  • However, after a couple of Potions, I determine Clump is at a safe percentage of health, and he is able to connect another Razor Leaf to kill the Psyduck. Next comes Starmie, so I send out Speedster.
  • While the Starmie deals a concerning amount of damage with its Scald, two Zippy Zaps from Speedster is enough to defeat it and earn the Cascade Badge for our team!
  • For our efforts, Misty also gives us the TM for Scald. It would've been funnier if they made Bubble Beam a TM again like in the first games.
  • Afterwards, I head outside, where I find Officer Jenny being distracted by a rambunctious Squirtle. As she runs off, I check out the house she had been eyeing.
  • The house is a wreck inside, with broken tables and enormous footprints. Speedster decides to play Detective Pikachu, but ends up being distracted by a bowl of fruit. Looks like you're not cut out for forensics, buddy.
  • In any case, we geniusly decide to investigate the gaping hole in the wall, outside of which we find a Team Rocket Grunt!
  • He sends out a surprisingly normal-sized Raticate, which Squirt conquers with little difficulty. The Rocket Grunt gives me the TM for Dig as he runs away. He certainly didn't have to do that, but I guess he knows I have the Lt. Surge fight coming up. What a generous man!
  • With that, I make my way onto the ledges on Route 5, where I find and capture a Growlithe whom I name Sencillo. Guess he can try to fill the emotional void left by my dead Charmander.
  • I meet up with Garold in front of the entrance to the Underground Path, and I give him one of the S.S. Tickets Bill gave me last time. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, last time Bill gave me the S.S. Tickets.
  • I traverse the Underground Path, which is largely boring, but I did pick up a Nugget at one point because I randomly pressed the A button. Just me honing those detective skills I developed earlier!
  • Once I exit onto Route 6, I hunt for an Abra. I eventually find one, but it flees before I can capture it. Curse you Abra! Even when you can't Teleport away, you still elude me!
  • I take on the few trainers on Route 6 using a mix of Squirt, Monkey, and Ratatouille. None are particularly scary, although one opponent's Eevee is surprisingly strong and leaves Monkey in the yellow by the end of the battle.
  • Eventually, I enter Vermillion City, where Officer Jenny offers to give me that troublesome Squirtle. I except the offer, and name my new Squirtle Filthy Man.
  • Afterwards, I save in the Pokemon Center, where my character will probably lay dormant for like a month.

Level: 19
Moves: Zippy Zap
Double Kick
Headbutt
Dig

Razor Leaf
Acid
Sleep Powder

Super Fang
Dig
Crunch

Moves: Psybeam
Sleep Powder
Poison Powder
Gust

Pay Day
Headbutt
Dig

Headbutt
Wing Attack
Bite

• Sencillo the Growlithe: Level 15
  • Filthy Man the Squirtle: Level 16

Oh the cruelness of fate, that our time together was so short! I've always loved Charmander, and I had high hopes for you. The fact that you had to face the one trainer who was inexplicably stronger than every other trainer we've encountered thus far is terribly, terribly unfortunate. Thanks for your effort little buddy.

As I mentioned when I first started this challenge, this series will take the backburner a bit once Smash Bros. Ultimate gets released on Friday. So my question for you is: will you be playing the new Smash Bros. game as avidly as I'll be?

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Good to see no one has died yet. Clump (as long as it stays alive) will be able to handle Surge.

I do intend on playing Smash Ultimate.

Dilly-Jo

New Trainer
Me: Oh boy, I can't wait to finally jump back into Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu!

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu!: ...

• Having laid dormant for quite some time in Vermillion City, and not very well remembering the order of events in Generation 1, I wander around Vermillion trying to figure out what to do.
  • As I make my way south, I catch sight of the port, and realize I am supposed to board the S.S. Anne with those handy tickets Bill gave me.
  • I step aboard the S.S. Anne, and I meet up with both Garold and Blue. I'd love to chat, but I've got some exploring to do. Smell y'all later!
  • I speak to every person in every room over the course of my time on the S.S. Anne. One fellow warns me to be careful, as the passengers are feisty and ready to battle at a moment's notice. I should have listened.
  • I defeat a few trainers successfully with Ratatouille until I come across a Mankey. Uh-oh. Ratatouille doesn't deal nearly enough damage, and a single Karate Chop swiftly brings my rat to the ground. I avenge her death with I don't remember who. After sending her lifeless body to the professor, I add Filthy Man the Squirtle to my party.
  • From there, I begin to lead with Squirt (I really should not have given the nickname "Squirt" to a Pokemon other than Squirtle btw).
  • The next few battles included a couple of close calls. Squirt barely managed to defeat an enemy Magnemite, being left paralyzed with low health by the end of the fight. Thankfully, Monkey quickly got rid of the next Magnemite with a Dig.
  • While not exactly a close call, Clump was hit by a single SmokeScreen from a Horsea and proceeded to miss six Razor Leafs in a row.
  • And as fate would have it, I wasn't done sending my lead Pokemon into a bad match-up. I was filled with fear as Squirt came in against an opponent's Ponyta. Squirt's damage output was far too low; the Ponyta outsped him, and on top of that it managed to land two critical hits with Ember. Once again, I was left helpless as my Butterfree collapsed to the ground in flames. Filthy Man came in, and my opponent proceeded to use a Full Restore. So all of Squirt's effort was in vain. In any case, Filthy Man was able to defeat the Ponyta, and even evolved due to the experience he gained afterwards. I then sent Squirt's corpse to the professor and added Sencillo the Growlithe to my team.
  • I'm faced with yet another close call as Monkey faces off against a Sandshrew. But hey, I got through the rest of the ship's passengers without any more deaths. And then I had to fight Garold...
  • Because I cannot be expected to plan ahead and this game hates me, I sent in Monkey against Garold's Pidgeotto. The Pidgeotto outspeeds Monkey and lands a Wing Attack for well over half, while Monkey connects with a crit Karate Chop, also for well over half. Healing won't do anything. I have to hope the Pidgeotto decides to do something different. The Pidgeotto goes for Quick Attack, which is plenty strong to kill Monkey. I lower my head in defeat... Except, Monkey hangs on so that I won't be sad! That would be an immediate Bro Badge... if it wasn't for the fact that Monkey failed to kill with his next Karate Chop, thus freeing up the Pidgeotto to kill him on the next turn. Sigh...
  • Speedster comes in and avenges Monkey with ease. From there, Speedster beats Eevee and Stevie beats Oddish with little difficulty. I leave my party at five Pokemon for now as I gain no type diversity by adding anyone else from the PC. Man, that no switching rule was an amazing call for making this game more difficult.
  • Exhausted and sad, I make my way to the captain's quarters, where I am forced to give a back massage to a vomiting old man. But at least my Pikachu can chop down trees now.
  • I am ready to leave the S.S. Anne forever, but Speedster insists we head out to the deck. There, he stands atop the railing and declares himself king of Kanto. Thankfully, no one can hear me crying over the sound of Celine Dion singing "My Heart Will Go On."
  • As I make my way back to the city, I encounter an Alolan woman named Mina who has been stranded in Vermillion City. She offers to battle me, but I politely decline. I can't afford to put my party through any more trauma at the current moment.

Level: 21
Moves: Thunderbolt
Double Kick
Headbutt
Dig

Level: 20
Razor Leaf
Acid
Sleep Powder

Level: 20
Headbutt
Wing Attack
Bite

Name: Filthy Man the Wartortle
Level: 17
Seismic Toss
Scald
Dig

Name: Sencillo the Growlithe
Moves: Ember
Headbutt
Dig
Take Down

Cause of death: Wing Attack from a trainer's Pidgeotto

Caught in Part 1, Died in Part 5
Cause of death: Karate Chop from a trainer's Mankey

With the no switching rule at play, I was almost always scared to see what my opponent would send out against me. And yet, with you in the lead, I felt more comfortable than with any other Pokemon. Not only did your Headbutt hit hard, but you were the queen of inflicting flinches. I could always count on you in a pinch, and I hate that you couldn't count on me. You were so close to becoming a lovely Raticate, and I hate that I couldn't give you the extra push that you needed.

Caught in Part 1, Died in Part 5
Cause of death: Crit Ember from a trainer's Ponyta

You may have been a tiny Butterfree with a misleading name, but when it came time to battle, you always gave it your all. You had a knack for defusing scary situations by putting your opponents to sleep. You tried to do the same thing against that Ponyta, but the damage from two critical hits was more than you could compete with. Even so, you showed your determination against that Magnemite, and proved that you can overcome difficult odds, even if you couldn't surpass your greatest challenge.

Caught in Part 2, Died in Part 5
Cause of death: Quick Attack from Garold's Pidgeotto after "hanging on" at 1 HP the previous turn

This one really hurts. I love Mankey. A lot. I really love Primeape too, so I was desperately hoping you would go far. I wasn't ready for Garold's challenge. I pride myself on handling any challenges that come my way without knowing about them in advance, but if I could do anything different, I would've looked ahead and prepared better. Between landing your own crit Karate Chop and surviving that Pidgeotto's first Quick Attack, you proved that you've got a fighting spirit that'll live on forever.

What's the most deaths you've suffered in a single location in a nuzlocke challenge? While this is probably my most single-location deaths, I recall in my old extra hard mode Y Wedlocke that I lost six Pokemon in the short stretch between the second and third gyms.

Lorekeeper

Rookie Trainer
Wow thats a lot of death on that boat. I have a lets go nuzlocke on lets go eevee but idk if I am going to keep going. I didn't add any difficulty like you did so anyone I talk to about the game thinks there isn't much point in it but I was enjoying it. I was headed to the grass gym when I stopped playing. I hope you have some better luck moving forward. As for most deaths in a single location... I am not sure. Either the third island in any alola game I have played or eterna city in platinum. I always lose at least 3 pokemon here for some reason and its not the gym.