VGC Choice Specs T-Tar - ORAS Gen 6

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Hope this is the right section.

Curious, has anyone successfully used this guy with choice specs in Gen 6? It is a huge surprise for anyone expecting a physical T-Tar since that is what they utilize 95% if the time.

What would you pair this guy with? I was looking into the follow me/rage powder approach but they all seem to have similar weaknesses to Tyranitar (steel/ground/fighting etc..). Best used under TR instead? Trick room could be rather easy to spot though.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Hey there! On a quick unrelated note, assuming you're the same bloodyskullz who was on Azurilland, welcome to the new forums!

Can't say I've ever used a Spec Ttar myself, and I agree it would be a huge surprise to me if I ran up against one. You mention Follow Me, Rage Powder, and Trick Room, which sound like things that would be used in Doubles. Is that where you're looking to use this Tyranitar set? Because that could make things significantly different than Singles.

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Hey there! On a quick unrelated note, assuming you're the same bloodyskullz who was on Azurilland, welcome to the new forums!

Can't say I've ever used a Spec Ttar myself, and I agree it would be a huge surprise to me if I ran up against one. You mention Follow Me, Rage Powder, and Trick Room, which sound like things that would be used in Doubles. Is that where you're looking to use this Tyranitar set? Because that could make things significantly different than Singles.
Yup, same individual good sir. I remember you (vaguely so I apologize since I didn't visit that site very often - life gets in the way).

On the subject of choice specs T-tar, yes definitely for doubles since that is my preferred method of battling (grew out of singles and I find doubles way more diverse). Not trying to build the team around him but definitely trying to find the right partner to minimize his weaknesses and cover him with a good moveset. I have a good setup for him specifically back on azurilland but I can't seem to browse the page anymore when I found it.

I think my partner of choice at the time was Gourgeist large or super size but I think i might lean towards dusclops.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Hmm, a bulky Ghost would do a good job of covering Tyranitar's weaknesses, you're right. Both of those sound like they'd do well in Trick Room. so I might consider that. Aromatisse and Mega Audino are both good setters I've used before with a few helpful tricks to support an attacker, and if this is going to be a special Tyranitar you'll probably want to make sure you have a strong physical attacker as well to beat special walls. Do you know what coverage moves you plan to put on Tyranitar?

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I have been thinking about it a bit and right now I am looking at the following:

Dark Pulse (stab)
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Maybe earth power or Flamethrower

Like I said I had it all figured out before when it was on azurilland and I am trying to get them to send me that info but its like a 0.001% chance it will work lol. Had the EV's and everything laid out well.

EDIT: Google managed to display the EV's surprisingly from the search result but I can't get much else

244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD, I am guessing this would have fallen under a quiet nature to boost SpA and minimize speed with 0 IV's if this was under TR.

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Unless you can think of something specific that you need Earth Power to hit, I'd say go with Flamethrower. It smacks Ferrothorn and Scizor hard if nothing else, and Fire-Ice-Electric is basically just classic.

Since Dark Pulse will be your most powerful attack due to STAB, as far as partners are concerned it might also be a good idea to look into things that can shut down Dark-resistant Pokemon such as Fairy-types. Might be fun to look into Bronzong. It and Ttar cover one another's weaknesses pretty well, it can set up your Trick Room, and its Gyro Ball is decently strong.

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
It's mainly for pokemon like Heatran from what I can remember since it can hit him really hard compared to the rest of the attacks in the arsenal but I see your point about the other pokemon you mentioned. Better to target a wider range than to focus on a particular one. I completely forgot about pokemon like Bronzong and I know it can learn trick room.

Would Levitate be the optimal choice for Bronzong in this case or best to go with a heatproof to reduce fire damage? Right now I see heatran being a huge issue so definitely need a strong water type. Maybe swampert or some other pokemon like Milotic, maybe even azumaril to cover the fire types.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I would say Levitate, yes. Otherwise you're stacking a big weakness to Ground. Having a Water-type is a good idea. Azumarill might be nice for a team that's running Trick Room since it has Aqua Jet to pick things off regardless of your speed matchups.

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Man I forgot how difficult it was to prep a team, trying to cover all weaknesses and everything else that goes with it.

Usually for TR, 2 setters are optimal correct? Wouldn't Slowking be a decent choice then? I think mine already knows TR, Protect, Scald and flamethrowers for those pesky grass & bug types.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Yeah, that'd work well! Matter of fact, I had thought of Slowking myself while composing my last post, but I didn't want to mention it then because that's another Psychic-type alongside Bronzong. But if you're willing and able to cover that elsewhere I think it'd be a fine choice.

Another Pokemon I like to use under Trick Room is a Flame Orb + Guts Hariyama. It gets Knock Off to put heavy pressure on Dark and Ghost types.

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Yeah, that'd work well! Matter of fact, I had thought of Slowking myself while composing my last post, but I didn't want to mention it then because that's another Psychic-type alongside Bronzong. But if you're willing and able to cover that elsewhere I think it'd be a fine choice.

Another Pokemon I like to use under Trick Room is a Flame Orb + Guts Hariyama. It gets Knock Off to put heavy pressure on Dark and Ghost types.
I can definitely see his speed being very useful under TR for sure but that just opens me up to another fairy weakness. I think having Mega Aggron along side a dusclops holding eviolite actually covers lots of weaknesses right off the bat. Just a matter of selecting 3 more individuals that suit the bill. I may still consider Slowking and I have been leaning towards Talonflame to have a pokemon viable outside of TR if I can't set it up.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Talonflame's a fun choice for sure, and you'd most likely get one turn out of Gale Wings under Trick Room, but just remember that Ttar's Sandstorm will take that away real fast. Mega Aggron and Dusclops might both work as well, but I'd like to point out that Hariyama isn't exactly helpless against Fairies, especially under Trick Room. It gets Bullet Punch, Poison Jab, and a Heavy Slam that'll be pretty darn powerful against the average Fairy Pokemon.

Ultimately, a lot of this will have to come down to trial and error. Don't be afraid to lose until you can start winning!

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
With a guy like Hariyama, just max attack + health and make him hit like a nuke? I can see a set like Protect/Bullet Punch/poison jab/Powerup Punch being very effective. I may reconsider him if I find the right counter for everything.

Psychics and ghost the only ones who can setup TR? I think exceptions are Porygon 2.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
As far as the EVs and nature go, yes. Of course minimize the Speed as well. I gave mine Fake Out / Bullet Punch / Knock Off / Close Combat. I'm not sure I like the idea of running Power-up Punch as your only STAB move but you can give it a shot.

A few Fairy Pokemon can also set TR. Aromatisse and Mega Audino are good supporters.

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I am going to post an RMT as soon as I can as I need to see if I can figure out a good team to use for all this. So many options and finding them all right away is going to be hard. Unfortunately can't play against people online via the 3DS in these older games anymore. Bummer really.

I think for the initial core of the team, im either going with Dusclops @ eviolite/dusknoir or gourgiest super size to have the bulk and slow nature.