Scramble [Complete] Kaori's Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Nuzlocke Scramble [FINALE: VS. STEVEN]

Who deserves to be the MVP of this challenge?

• Swampert

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Ludicolo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Torkoal

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Swalot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Altaria

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Lunatone

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Typhlosion I definitely did. :)

---

Part IX. Under the Sea

We've reached the part of the game which caused the IGN review of 7.8 because there's just too much water. However, I do think the water routes are a little more enjoyable in the remakes because the textures just look so much better. The little map on the bottom screen also helps me navigate because I have the worst sense of direction.

Ludicolo really got to shine on these routes because the Swimmers we come across use mostly water type Pokemon. The remakes also added some Ace Trainers, which are also swimming on their Pokemon like the hero/heroine which is a really nice touch.

Eventually we reach Mossdeep City, where there isn't all that much to do except for take on the gym leaders. I kept on trying to trigger the event in the Space Center, until I realized that this was an Emerald exclusive, whoops.

I was a little worried about this gym at first because I don't have a Psychic resist/immunity on the team and no moves to hit them super effectively. Luckily for me, the gym leaders just use Solrock and Lunatone in these games, so I can simply use my water types.

ー VS. Gym Leaders Tate & Liza

As planned, I lead off with my double Water types in Swampert and Ludicolo and just went for Surf with both of them.

My heart dropped for a second when I saw that the Solrock went for Solar Beam, but there wasn't any sun up so it needed to charge and both of them got easily taken out by the end of the turn. I was worried about this gym but it ended up being the easiest one so far.

We get the Mind Badge for winning as well as the TM for Calm Mind, which I taught to Lunatone instead of Cosmic Power.

As soon as we leave the gym, a bright beam of light shoots up in the sky, coming all the way from the sea on route 128. Steven approaches us and invites us over to his house ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) to talk about what is about to happen. Team Aqua is trying to awaken the legendary Pokemon Kyogre which slumbers in the Deepsea Cavern, using the Blue Orb to release its primal form. The power Kyogre would unleash would have disastrous effects, turning the whole world into one big ocean.

Steven entrusts us with the important task of stopping Team Aqua, giving us the HM for Dive and the Devon Scuba Gear so we can travel underneath the water. I quickly flew back to Lilycove City to get rid of Surf on Swampert and replace it with Dive for now. It's a physical move so it should do more damage, actually. Of course, it will get replaced with Waterfall as soon as we have access to it.

We can now travel southwards across some more water routes. I made sure to stock up on plenty of Max Repels because nothing is more annoying than running into Tentacool every two seconds.

Once on route 128, I used Dive to get underwater and make my way into Seafloor Cavern. Outside of the entrance, we can already spot the Team Aqua submarine so this is definitely the right place.

There's a few different rooms with puzzles we have to go through before reaching the innermost chamber, but none of them are partiularly tricky. The Team Aqua grunts we fight along the way don't cause any trouble either.

Eventually we reach the room with the slumbering Kyogre, Archie already there and prepared to use the Blue Orb. Maxie is also present, trying to convince Archie that he is about to make a huge mistake. However, the latter does not seem to realize this, challenging you to a battle in an attempt to eliminate the last thing stopping him from awakening Kyogre.

ー VS. Team Aqua leader Archie

I lead off with Altaria to get my mega evolution right away and gain some bulk as well as the Fairy typing which helps me resist any dark type attacks. Afterwards I can easily KO the Mightyena with Dazzling Gleam.

Muk comes out next so I swap out to my Swampert, who now has Earthquake because we picked up the TM for it earlier. Unfortunately, he does get the 30% poison with Gunk Shot upon switch in, but we can still take him out in one hit.

Against the Crobat, I could stay in and go for Rock Slide but I'm poisoned so I swapped out to Lunatone instead. Acrobatics barely does any damage and Stone Edge destroys the Crobat.

Last but not least is his Sharpedo, who can now mega evolve making it a very heavy hitter. Thankfully, I have my Mega Altaria which walls this for the most part. He does reveal the Poison Fang which does a lot of damage to me (even getting the poison) but it can't take me out from full and Dazzling Gleam thankfully OHKO'd the Mega Sharpedo.

Even though we just defeated Archie, he still refuses to give up his plans, pulling out the Blue Orb to awaken Kyogre. Even his own comrade in Shelly rushes to his side to try and change his mind, but it already too late.

Kyogre is awake and swims to the surface, bringing heavy rain across the entire region before making its way towards Origin Cave in Sootopolis City.

We also make our way back up to route 128 as everyone is astounded by the effects of Kyogre's ability. Archie is finally realizing the grave mistake he made, but now it is up to us to try and solve it. Steven arrives to the scene shortly after, requiring our assistance to calm down Kyogre.

Next time, we'll travel to Sootopolis City to try and save the world. See you all then!
---

Current Team

Dublin - Male - Lv. 48 - Bashful nature - Torrent

Hammer Arm / Earthquake / Dive / Rock Slide

Panama - Female - Lv. 48 - Sassy nature - Rain Dish

Uproar / Fake Out / Grass Knot / Surf

Beijing - Male - Lv. 47 - Lax nature - Sticky Hold

Body Slam / Toxic / Sludge Bomb / Amnesia

Cairo - Female - Lv. 47 - Quiet nature - White Smoke

Strength / Bulldoze / Lava Plume / Shell Smash

Helsinki - Genderless - Lv. 48 - Relaxed nature - Levitate

Moonblast / Psychic / Stone Edge / Calm Mind

Paris - Female - Lv. 49 - Quirky nature - Natural Cure

Cotton Guard / Dazzling Gleam / Fly / Dragon Pulse

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Using the lenny face when you know May is 11 :nanihmmazurill:

I love seeing your team tbh, it's so cute and quirky !! Good luck against Kyogre though lol, not sure what it's moveset is unless you just use a master ball and none of this matters

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Thankfully, Liza and Tate don't have their Sunny Day Xatu in the remakes, or that battle could've gone a bit differently ^^'. It's awesome that you've managed to play up until this point with only one death though. I agree with Moxie, your team is looking really cool!

... also, do you guys remember gen 3 when the hero(ine) didn't need any scuba gear at all to stay underwater for extended periods of time? xD

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Moxie: May was me in that moment and I am 24 so it's all good.

I wasn't too stoked about the team at first, but it's actually a lot of fun to use. Torkoal and Lunatone are actually really good and Swalot isn't that horrible either (although it has been lacking behind a little)

@Calaf: I didn't bother looking at the movesets but I guess Solar Beam makes sense for Solrock. It's not STAB but it's 4x effective so it probably would have knocked out Swampert even from full.

Those little changes are what make remakes really charming. This is my first time properly playing through ORAS and it did change my opinion on the games. I don't think it's as good as Emerald, but it's definitely a vast improvement over R/S.

---

Part X. The Home Stretch

Upon arriving in Sootopolis City, the weather is still as horrible as before. We meet up with Steven and his friend Wallace in the north of the city as they show me the way to Origin Cave. Team Aqua and Magma's leaders are there as well and Archie is finally showing some remorse. He even gives us the Aqua Suit they developed to be able to stand up against Kyogre's primal reversion.

Wallace is convinced the Red Orb will protect us, but I'm still a bit skeptical about letting a young trainers go in there all on their own. The remakes do add a cute little scene with Brendan showing up and wishing you good luck, while also admitting to his frustrations of feeling a bit left behind, even though the two of you started your journey at the same time.

I always felt like the gen 3 rival(s) were very lackluster because they didn't appear as much as had a fairly weak team, but ORAS does a decent job at making Brendan more likeable.

Making our way to the very bottom of the Origin Cave, we meet up with Kyogre once more, riding on its back to reach the room where the primal evolution can take place.

Primal Kyogre makes it appearance and attacks us, which means we either have to take it out or capture it. I had my Ludicolo out, knowing this thing is very heavy so Grass Knot should do a good chunk. It brought it down to about 30% while Ice Beam couldn't 2HKO me. I could have easily taken it out, but I'm thinking of working on a living dex soon, so I decided to catch it with my Master Ball. (I won't be using it for anything though, obviously)

As the top of the cave begins to collapse, we swiftly make our escape outside. Everyone congratulates us for saving the world and we also get the Blue Orb from Archie which should allow to control Kyogre's primal reversion in battle.

The cutscene of the heavy rain changing into clear skies, displaying different parts of Hoenn as everyone looks up to the sky was actually really touching. I do wish they included Norman as well though, especially since they show your mom. Shouldn't Norman be worried about his child as well?

With the world now saved, we only have one left to do and that's take on the final gym in Sootopolis City. The ice puzzles are different from the originals and I'm horrible at this kind of stuff so it actually took me a couple of tries to get it right. (I saved in between each level so I didn't have to start all over again)

ー VS. Gym Leader Wallace

A team without a single grass resist is exactly what I want to see when my Ludicolo is on the field.

Ironically enough, the lead Luvdisc actually caused me the most trouble because it's so tiny and light, so Grass Knot doesn't do much damage. It kept on going for Sweet Kiss and confusing me as well.

Eventually I did break through the hax and took out the Luvdisc and from there on it was a cake walk. Milotic and Sealeo are both heavy so Grass Knot was an easy 2HKO and OHKO respectively.

The Whiscash is 4x weak to grass, so that's another easy OHKO for Ludicolo.

The Seaking does take a hit, but it went for Aqua Ring over any other move so this was a very easy final gym battle.

This earns us the Rain Badge and the HM for Waterfall, which will help us gain access to the Victory Road to take on the Elite Four waiting at the other side.

Before that, I decided to clear out the water routes around Pacifidlog Town to get some training done with my other Pokemon, as well as go around the region to pick up any good TMs I might have missed to optimalize the movesets of my Pokemon.

Once I felt prepared, I surfed over to Ever Grande City, scaling the waterfall to access the entrance of Victory Road. The trainers inside were quite tough and I found myself having to switch out or use multiple healing items at several occasions, but I didn't lose any Pokemon.

I did enjoy the new design of Victory Road, having both darker and lighter areas. It wasn't too difficult to navigate either and there were plenty of trainers to get some last second EXP from.

The area at the very of the cave was a nice addition, as well as the fact that they moved Wally to the end of the Victory Road rather than putting him at the very beginning.

Speaking of Wally, his team got a huge upgrade and he seemed eager to show us just how strong he had become. I would also like to note how amazing the OST is for this part, as soon as the battle music began to play, I felt totally pumped.

ー VS. Wally

We start off this battle with an epic Altaria vs. Altaria showdown. Thankfully, my Altaria is holding a mega stone which means I can become immune to its dragon type attacks AND hit it for super effective damage back.

Magneton comes out next, so I swap to Torkoal to take the incoming Flash Cannon and hit back it back with Lava Plume.

When Delcatty came out, I swapped to Lunatone who resists its STAB attacks. Wally actually predicts this for some reason and goes for Feint Attack instead, but thankfully it doesn't do too much and two Psychic take out the Delcatty.

Roselia comes out next, which means I have two options here. I decide to switch to Swalot who can resist all of its moves and Sludge Bomb deals neutral damage.

This leaves just the Gallade, which can mega evolve and hit very hard. Thankfully, I got the chance to mega evolve my Altaria already for the extra bulk. Even so, Psycho Cut isn't fun to switch in on so I did have to heal up before going for Return and take the victory.

After exiting the cave, we officially arrive at the Hoenn Pokemon League. My team's levels ranged from lv. 53 to lv. 56 by this point, so I did go back to do a little training until the whole squad was lv. 56. I believe that Steven's ace is just under lv. 60, so we should be okay since we'll be gaining some EXP from the Elite 4 as well.

Dublin the Swampert ♂

Lv. 56

Bashful nature

Torrent

194/160/126/119/120/101

• Hammer Arm
  • Rock Slide
  • Eartquake
  • Waterfall

Panama the Ludicolo

Lv. 56

Sassy nature

Rain Dish

171/109/105/118/143/91

• Rain Dance
  • Ice Beam
  • Grass Knot
  • Surf

Beijing the Swalot

Lv. 56

Lax nature

Sticky Hold

195/111/143/111/108/88

• Ice Beam
  • Toxic
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Amnesia

Cairo the Torkoal

Lv. 56

Quiet nature

White Smoke

158/121/177/122/103/49

• Body Slam
  • Bulldoze
  • Lava Plume
  • Shell Smash

Helsinki the Lunatone

Lv. 56

Relaxed nature

Levitate

156/89/95/137/113/99

• Shadow Ball
  • Calm Mind
  • Psychic
  • Moonblast

Paris the Altaria

Lv. 56

Quirky nature

Natural Cure (Pixilate)

160/102/111/97/128/116

• Dragon Dance
  • Return
  • Earthquake
  • Roost

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Best of luck against the E4! Those really are some nice movesets you've got. I suppose in a challenge it must be important to take advantage of whatever assets you have.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Typhlosion I tried to put as much type diversity in there as I could! It's my first time using a mega evolution in a challenge run as well, so we'll see how it goes. I feel like Mega Altaria isn't too OP at least, especially with the Champion using Steel types.

Okay soー I honestly have no good excuse for taking such a long break from this challenge other than I was busy with preparing art for a week-long event on Tumblr. Today's the last day and I'm almost finished with the final drawing, so I'm taking a small break to write an update.

This Scramble is actually almost over, since the only thing that's left are the Elite Four and the Champion battles. This part will feature all four Elite Four members and then the finale will be posted tomorrow so keep an eye out for that!

--

Part XI. The Elite Four a.k.a. Mega Altaria has a field day

We've made it to the final hurdle of the game, taking on the Pokemon League! I made sure to stock up on plenty of Full Restores, Max Potions and Full Heals before entering the first room.

Sidney starts things off with his Mightyena while I lead off with my Altaria to mega evolve and gain the Fairy typing right away. Intimidate dropped my attack by one stage, so I decided set up a Dragon Dance to get the +1 speed and bring my attack back to neutral.

This is where Sidney makes the horrible mistake of going for Swagger, bumping up my attack another two stages. I do have plenty of Full Heals so the Confusion can be easily taken care of as well.

Needless to say, Mighteyna drops to a Pixilate Return right after.

The Speed boost from Dragon Dance allows my Mega Altaria to outspeed and absolutely destroy this Sharpedo with a +2 super effective attack. We do take some chip damage from the Rough Skin ability, but we can still keep going.

Sidney is smart to go for Fake Out and get some more chip damage, but he has already sealed his own fate at this point as Mega Altaria claims another kill.

No priority moves this time so we score a nice OHKO on the Absol.

Mega Altaria finished off the battle in style with another OHKO on his last Pokemon.

Phoebe is definitely the Elite Four member I was the most worried about because my team doesn't do well against Ghost types. I lead off with Lunatone since I gave it Shadow Ball, but being weak to Ghost types myself, I have to be careful here.

Thankfully, Shadow Ball does a decent chunk to the Dusclops, enough for a 2-hit KO. Phoebe decides to go for the hax route and confuses me with Confuse Ray, but we break through and finish off the Dusclops.

Sableye comes out next and thankfully, we snap out of confusion right away and OHKO's the Sableye with Moonblast. I'm earning a lot of respect for both Lunatone's power and coverage through this battle.

Her first Banette is up next and surprisingly enough, it actually went down in one hit to Shadow Ball. I was very surprised by this because it isn't even STAB and I was only a few levels higher.

The second Banette suffers the same fate so I guess it wasn't just a really high roll on the first one.

Her last Pokemon is Dusknoir, who should definitely be able to take a hit. It has decent attack as well but I gave Lunatone a Sitrus berry before starting to battle, so I should be okay either way. Dusknoir ends up going for Hex and I'm not statused at the moment, so it doesn't even do enough to pop the berry while Shadow Ball is a solid 2HKO.

Glacia's team does not have very much variety, but she does have one very scary option in Sheer Cold on one of her Pokemon so I don't want to underestimate her either.

I lead off with my Torkoal against her Glalie, wanting to try out a Shell Smash sweep by giving her a White Herb to fix the defense decreases. Unfortunately, Glacia seems to predict this and sets up a Light Screen to basically negate my boosts. At least Glalie still went down to Lava Plume since I got the lucky 30% burn which finished it off.

So I realized that I might have been a little hasty with my set up because Walrein is way too bulky to go down to a +2 attack, especially with the Light Screen still active. I decide to play it safe and switch out to my Ludicolo instead.

This is where things went downhill as I got frozen TWO times by Blizzard after missing out on the KO with Grass Knot. Thankfully, this stalls turns of Light Screen so by the time I thaw, I can take out the Walrein with another Grass Knot.

I decided to put both Froslass together because these were two easy Lava Plume OHKOs with Torkoal.

This leaves just her second Glalie, which can survive the Lava Plume but it doesn't have anything to really hit my Torkoal, so I just had to stall out her two Full Restores before claiming victory.

Drake is the final member of the Elite Four, but I wasn't very worried about his team because I have a strong Fairy type and those are kind of broken in gen 6 and 7. The battle starts off with an epic Altaria vs. Altaria showdown, but mine is holding a Mega Stone.

I successfully tricked the AI in going for Dragon Pulse, which is completely useless after I mega evolved, giving me a free turn to set up a Dragon Dance and proceed to sweep his entire team.

Flygon is probably my favorite Dragon type, but that doesn't mean he will get spared from the Mega Altaria sweep. This is before Pixilate got nerfed as well so Return has no trouble OHKO-ing.

His Kingdra also fell in one hit.

The second Flygon suffered the same fate as his brother, being OHKO'd by a Return.

That leaves just the fiercesome Salamence, but fangs are inferior to Mega Altaria power of FLUFF and also this one goes down in one hit. Another clean sweep for the cloud dragon.

This concludes all members of the Elite Four, granting us access to the final chamber where we will take on the Champion. I want the Champion fight to get a proper part of its own, so I will end things off here for now. Be sure to tune in again tomorrow for the grand finale!

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Ech, I'm glad someone else agrees about how nuts Fairy-types can be sometimes. Good work, anyhow! I'm surprised as well by the work Lunatone put in.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SAF I've used Mega Altaria a lot in UU but this was my first time using it in a challenge run and I had a lot of fun with it! It may have been a little OP, but so are Pokemon like Tyranitar/Salamence/etc..., especially if they get a chance to set up.

@Typhlosion They definitely are, but I happen to like a lot of Fairy types design-wise so I do enjoy using them. Lunatone has definitely been a trooper! I've changed my opinion on it after this challenge.

--

Part XII. The Finale

We have come a long way, but it is finally time for the final battle. There is just one person keeping us from becoming Hoenn's league champion and that is my wonderful husbando Steven Stone. Even though Cynthia's a queen, Steven has to be my all-time favorite Champion because JUST LOOK AT HIM. He looks even better in the remakes as well. 10/10 would date.

However, I will not be holding back against him because I do want to win this challenge.

ー VS. Champion Steven

Since we are fighting someone who specializes in Steel types, I decided to lead off with my Torkoal. However, this time we aren't going to be hasty and set up, instead I just went for Lava Plume which brings Skarmory all the way down to its Sturdy. Thankfully, we get the 30% burn which finished him off so we don't need to deal with this Skarmory at all.

Aggron comes out next, which means Swampert finally gets a chance to shine! I go for Earthquake but once again Sturdy gets in the way, allowing th Aggron to endure the hit. I knew he would use a Full Restore here, so I just went to Waterfall this time to prevent the Sturdy from triggering again. This would also deal with a Claydol double in case the AI is smart enough to do that.

Obviously Cradily comes out to try and destroy my Swampert with a Grass type again, but we aren't letting that happen. Swalot hasn't come out all this time, but he deserves to prove his worth as well! I went for Toxic first to wear him down and then went for Amnesia to boost my Special Defense. Once the Cradily was low enough from the poison, I could go for Sludge Bomb to finish it off before a Full Restore is used.

The whole team is coming out for this Champion battle because as soon as Claydol comes out, I swap straight to Lunatone to avoid a ground type attack. He sets up a Light Screen which is a little annoying, but I can negate it by going for Calm Mind and then taking it out with Shadow Ball the next turn. Thankfully, he did not set up a Reflect and Swampert should be able to handle the two last Pokemon.

I had to switch in on a critical hit X-Scissor with my Swampert but thankfully it did not take me out and Waterfall is a solid 2HKO.

We've brought him down to his ace, which mega evolves into Mega Metagross in the remakes, becoming even more of a threat. I decided to heal up my Swampert on the initial turn, tanking a Meteor Mash fairly well. It did a lot of damage, but not enough to take me out in two hits while I could 2HKO it with Earthquake.

Steven congratulates us for our victory as Brendan shows up, surprised by the fact we've already beaten the Champion. We can't chat for long, however, as Steven leads me towards the next room to register my team in the Hall of Fame.

(Ludicolo didn't get to come out during the final battle, but at least it's happy to be in the hall of fame)

-- TE END --

I just want to go ahead and mention that I really love what they did with the credits for these games. It's really nice how it inserts your actual Pokemon for all the important checkpoints in the game, which makes the credits feel more nostalgic and personal.

The extra dialogue with Brendan is really nice as well, helping him seem like a much more likable character than in the originals. Once you make it back to Littleroot Town, there's even another battle in which he mega evolves his starter.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take the notes of this battle and it's been 2+ weeks since I played. Either way, this battle wouldn't have counted since it isn't really an official one. (I was surprised by the fact you didn't get EXP during it)

Anyway, this marks a third victory in the Nuzlocke Scramble series! Next up will be Platinum, which should be starting up in about a week, depending on how quickly I get all my Pokemon.

I never managed to play through ORAS all the way before this challenge and I was definitely a bit skeptical about the Pokemon given to me at first, but I ended up having a lot of fun with this challenge. Just like in FRLG, we only suffered one death in total which is pretty cool. Granted, these games aren't exactly known for their difficulty.

As always, thank you for everyone leaving likes and comments, I hope you enjoyed. I'll be putting up the usual MVP poll so please vote on that if you have the time. I'm planning on doing an 'all stars' run eventually featuring all the MVPs on a single team.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Heck, I voted Lunatone. Would've been easy to go for someone like Swampert or Altaria, but I feel like I expected them to do well. Lunatone has more of that underdog vibe. Congratulations on another successful challenge, Kaori!