Scramble [Complete] Kaori's Pokemon Fire Red Nuzlocke Scramble

Who deserves to be the MVP of this challenge?

• Venusaur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clefable

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Arcanine

• Snorlax

• Poliwrath

• Electabuzz

• Total voters

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Hello everyone!

Welcome to my first official challenge run on these forums. ^^

I will be playing through Pokemon Fire Red as a Nuzlocke AND a Scramble at the same time for added difficulty. I had the people in the official Scramble thread choose a main team of SIX Pokemon, as well as TWO reserves to cover up any deaths. As of now, all slots expect for the final reserve are filled, so if you would like to give me a Pokemon, now's your last chance!

~> I may only the Pokemon which have been given to me. When hunting for said Pokemon, I MUST catch the first of each species I encounter and go with that, regardless of the nature/ability.

Disclaimer: If I need a certain HM to proceed with the game and none of my team members can learn it, I am allowed to catch a HM slave and temporarily put it in the party.

~> All Pokemon must be nicknamed. The naming theme for this run is herbs and spices.

~> If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be released or permanently boxed.

~> The Nuzlocke rules do not apply until I've received the Pokedex from Prof. Oak.

~> Battle style must be on SET.

~> The challenge is considered complete after defeating the Champion for the first time. Depending on how much I struggled during the main campaign, I may consider adding the post-game (Sevii Islands) and Mewtwo to the challenge.

~> The challenge is considered a fail if I white out/black out during any part of the game, regardless if there are still reserves left in the PC box.

Main team

• Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur
  • Clefairy/Clefable
  • Drowzee/Hypno
  • Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath
  • Snorlax
  • Electabuzz
Reserves

• Scyther
  • Arcanine

___

Prologue ー The adventure begins!

I boot up the game, choosing the female trainer and naming her KAORI.

Choosing a clever name for the rival character has never been my strong suit, so I decide to borrow his name from the manga and call him GREEN. (Yes, in the original Japanese version, the rival is named Green while the girl is named Blue. They swapped it in the English version but I always go by the original)

The game warps to my room and I head straight to the PC to withdraw the POTION from the PC. I will be picking Bulbasaur as my starter who is rather slow and doesn't hit very hard on the physical side, so we might end up needing this.

I have played this game many, many times so I don't bother going around Pallet to talk to all the NPCs, instead I head straight towards route 1 to trigger the plot. Prof. Oak shows up and drags you to his lab to pick your first Pokemon.

As requested by @LRachelR5, I will be using the Bulbasaur line throughout this challenge. He (or she in this case) is my favorite out of the three Kanto starters so I'm not disappointed with this choice.

Rosemary (F) the Bulbasaur has joined the party!

Relaxed nature

Overgrow

20/10/12/12/12/8

Tackle / Growl

Green challenges me to a battle as I am about to leave the lab, having picked Charmander to earn the type advantage in the future. His Charmander obviously outspeeds but the Defense raising nature helps tank hits better and after a short Tackle and Scratch war, we come on top without even having to use our Potion.
Bulbasaur also gains a level in the process.

On the way to Viridian City, we encounter a top percentage Rattata who gets a last minute critical hit and leaves Bulbasaur hanging on just 1 HP (!) We haven't gotten the Pokedex yet so the rules aren't in effect, but that still gave me a little scare.

I pick up the Parcel from the Viridian City Mart and make my way back to Pallet Town to deliver it to Prof. Oak. In the meantime, Bulbasaur has reached lv. 8 from battling all the wild Pokemon on the way. In return for the parcel, I get the Pokedex and (5) Pokeballs which means the challenge can finally start!

-- TO BE CONTINUED --
__
Current team

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 8 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Tackle / Growl / Leech Seed

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
A Nuzlocke with only eight Pokemon sounds tough but fun, good luck on your challenge! ^^

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
aww you got a female Bulbasaur! i like the theme for the nicknames :3 good luck with your challenge, it souds difficult but that makes it very interesting~

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Two updates in one day because I'm progressing through the game much faster than if I were to train up a team of 4/5 in a regular Nuzlocke!

@Calaf You're not wrong, it's gonna be really challenging! I think having Bulbasaur as my starter will really help out though. They can pretty much solo the beginning part of the game and by the time they start struggling, I'll have other team members to cover those weaknesses.

@Pendraflare Thanks! Hopefully I can make it through!

@Bunnie Yup! I tend to get female starters a lot when I'm not soft resetting for them? Then when it comes to regular playthrough, I sometimes end up spending 20 minutes or more just to get a female Chikorita or Popplio. > <

Part 1 ー Flower Power

After defeating my rival, I headed back out towards Viridian City and went straight to the forest rather than making the detour to do the rival battle near the Indigo Plateau.

I didn’t think it would be a smart idea to challenge a trainer who has both a Flying and a Fire type with super effective hits against my Bulbasaur, no matter how good my defenses may be. I might backtrack later to do the rival battle but more likely than not, I’ll just skip it.

The trainers in the forest didn’t pose too much of a trouble, but I did have to run back to heal at the Pokemon Center a couple of times. When facing a Metapod or Kakuna, I used Leech Seed on it and just spammed Growl to slowly whittle it down while also healing up my own health.

By the time I left the forest, Bulbasaur was already lv. 13 so I could head straight for the gym upon arriving in Pewter City.

Bless the person who gave me Bulbasaur to use because it will make the first two gyms so much easier. Especially since most of the other Pokemon I got are mid to late game. I think Rosemary can handle her own though.

The gym trainer definitely posed no threat and both his Geodude and Sandshrew go down in one hit.

Now it’s time for the grand challenge…

ー VS. Gym Leader Brock

Brock.png

As to be expected, Bulbasaur takes out both of Brock's Pokemon with no ease and reaches lv. 16 by the end of it.

Rosemary evolved into Ivysaur

I get the Boulder Badge and the TM for Rock Tomb, but nobody will be able to learn that until later on in the game.

After heading East of Pewter City, I finally get the Running Shoes which is a great help. I honestly can't thank Gamefreak enough for including this feature right from the start in the newer titles.

Since we will be getting a new team member soon, I strategically avoided some of the trainers on route 3 so I could keep them as training later on. Ivysaur is already at a high enough level as it is.

None of the trainers pose any real threat and we reach Mt. Moon safely. I go to the lowest floor right away, because this is where the next team member has the highest chance of appearing.

@Bunnie suggested I would use Clefable in this Scramble Nuzlocke and after about 15 minutes of running around, I finally run into a Clefairy and catch it.

Anise (F) the Clefairy has joined the party!

Bold nature

Cute Charm

45/
16/20/21/22/18

Pound / Growl / Encore / Sing

-- TO BE CONTINUED --

Current team

Ivysaur portrait.png

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 17 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Tackle / Leech Seed / Poison Powder / Vine Whip

Clefairy portrait.png

Anise - Female - Lv. 12 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Pound / Growl / Encore / Sing

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
welcome to the team, Anise! bold nature hmmm~

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Bunnie Bold nature isn't bad, I think? I will be using her mostly as a special attacker or as a support Pokemon with dual screens.

Part 2 ー Power duo

I went back to route 3 to take on all the trainers I missed with Clefairy so she could catch up with the team. Despite the Attack lowering nature, she still hits fairly hard with a STAB Pound.

Once she was at a decent level, I proceeded to explore Mt. Moon and battle against all of the trainers and the Rocket Grunts. My Pokemon are a little higher level than they would usually be at this point in the game so I didn't struggle too much. I did have to run back a few times to the Pokemon Center on route 4 but that was mostly to restore PP and save Potions.

After defeating the scientist at the very end of the cave, I chose the Helix Fossil. It does not really matter since I didn't get either Omastar or Kabutops as one of my Scramble team, but might as well praise the lord to get good luck in the new year.

Once outside, I went to the Move Tutor to get Mega Punch on Clefairy. The lower accuracy is a pain but it might help out in cases I really want a big hit.

Usually I train a little at this point for the upcoming rival battle in front of Nugget Bridge, but both Ivysaur and Clefairy were lv. 20 at this point, so I didn't deem it necessary.

ー VS. Rival Green

I led off with Clefairy and went for Mega Punch, trying to get a big hit off on the Pidgeotto. It went for a Sand-Attack but miraculously she hit the second Mega Punch and could then finish it off with a Pound.

Rattata comes out next and I swap to Ivysaur to make quick work of it with a Vine Whip.

Green sends out Charmander so back to Clefairy I go. She was already weakened by this point, so luckily he did not get a burn because we won that match-up with only 8 HP remaining.

Abra is his last Pokemon but it only knows Teleport, so Ivysaur finishes the battle with a Vine Whip.

Usually I would do the Nugget Bridge and route 24/25 to train a little before taking on the gym, but I have a high level Ivysaur on my team so I decided to just go for it and head straight for the gym first.

The gym trainers are once again a pushover, but they do give out some nice EXP. to boost Ivysaur to lv. 22 and learn Razor Leaf.

ー VS. Gym Leader Misty

I lead off with my Ivysaur who quickly defeats the Staryu with Razor Leaf.

Against Starmie I go for a Leech Seed first to gradually get some HP back before going for a couple of Razor Leafs to finish the job. Another easy gym badge in the bag!

Misty gives me the TM for Water Pulse to congratulate our victory and I decide to teach it to Clefairy right away. Having a Water type move on her will help out a lot against Green's Charmeleon for the upcoming rival battles.

-- TO BE CONTINUED --

Current Team

Ivysaur portrait.png

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 23 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Tackle / Leech Seed / Poison Powder / Razor Leaf

Clefairy portrait.png

Anise - Female - Lv. 21 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Pound / Water Pulse / Mega Punch / Sing

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So it kinda goes to show how much easier Bulbasaur makes the first two Gyms, haha. You'll be able to get your third team member soon but that'll be it for you for a little while which is unfortunate. Hm...

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
yay congrats for the second badge :D
bold nature is the best for Clefable now, but since it's not a Fairy in gen 3 i was wondering if it's still a good nature for it :thinking:
either way your team is rocking the challenge so far and Clefairy learns a variety of special moves, so i think it's all good!

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
So far, so good! Let's hope the next badges will come as smoothly as the last two did! ^^
Btw, I was wondering: are you planning on evolving Anise soon to make use of Clefable's superior stats, or are you gonna wait on some moves Clefairy learns later on?

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Pendraflare I did not state a clear rule for the reserve Pokemon, but I am thinking of using the Growlithe/Arcanine I was given until I can catch the final Pokemon of the main team. It seems weird to just box it if I have space in my team.

@Bunnie Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that all Normal type attacks are physical but I will also add a Snorlax to the team eventually who can fit the role of a strong physical attacker better anyway. So I might not even put a STAB attack on Clefable's final moveset.

@Calaf Thanks! There's no real move I want on Clefable so I will probably evolve it fairly soon. I rarely ever evolve them right away, even if I can. I like to spend some time with the Pokemon in each of their evolutionary stages.

Part 3 ー All Aboard!

Now that I had the second gym badge, I headed upwards towards the Nugget Bridge to defeat all of the trainers and earn myself a free Nugget so sell for money. I will try to grind money in this game as much as possible because a lot of good TMs are available through the Game Corner and gambling isn't my strong suit.

Despite only having two Pokemon, going through all the trainers leading up to Bill's house was pretty much a breeze. Having a special move on Clefairy now really helped her take out Rock and Ground types. There's also a lot of trainers with Nidoran who poison you 99.9% of the time if you use a contact attack on them so it's nice to have a way to avoid that.

I turned Bill back into a human and receive a ticket to board the SS Anne.

This triggers the guard in front of the house to leave so we can make quick work of the thieving Rocket Grunt and retrieve the TM for Dig. Clefairy can learn it but I would rather hold onto it for now until I get a physical attacker.

The trip to Vermillion is a short one because I skillfully dodge most of the trainers on route 6, knowing that I will be catching my next team member soon and grinding against trainers is just much more enjoyable than against wild Pokemon.

At Vermillion I pick up the VS. Seeker in the Pokemon Center and the Bike Voucher from the Pokemon Fanclub before heading East to route 11. After a few wild encounters, I run into a Drowzee to add to the team.

Turmeric (M) the Drowzee has joined the party!

Careful nature

Insomnia

44/16/16/12/28/16

Pound / Hypnosis / Disable / Confusion

Being at a relatively low level, I decided to use the two Rare Candies I had picked up along the way on Drowzee so he could hold his own in battle. I also trained up just a little against the wild Ekans on route 11 and the wild Oddish on 6 because we now have a super effective move against them.

I did the calculations and this Drowzee has 0 special attack IVs with a special attack lowering nature so I am a little worried whether or not he will be useful in battle. He does learn a fair share of physical moves like Brick Break and Shadow Ball so I will probably use him more as a physical than a special attacker.

After defeating the skipped trainers on route 6 and some of the trainers on route 11, Drowzee was caught up with the team and I could proceed with the story.

I went over to the peer to board the SS Anne, where only more trainer battles await...

-- TO BE CONTINUED --

Current Team

Ivysaur portrait.png

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 26 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Secret Power / Leech Seed / Poison Powder / Razor Leaf

Clefairy portrait.png

Anise - Female - Lv. 26 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Pound / Water Pulse / Mega Punch / Sing

Drowzee portrait.png

Turmeric - Male - Lv. 23 - Careful nature - Insomnia

Headbutt / Hypnosis / Disable / Confusion

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
It has been over 24 hours since my last post, so I can update!

No replies this time but thank you to those who liked the post and read it! ^^

Part 4 ー Third Time's the Charm

When going through the SS. Anne, I like to just explore the different floors first and take on all of the trainers. I didn't exactly NEED the extra experience in this case since I was already a good level for the gym, but I have OCD when it comes to these kind of things. Whenever I see people permanently skip trainers in Pokemon games, it just triggers me.

FR/LG has a lot of them so I do occasionally hold them off till I have a new team member who needs training, but the ship leaves after you get Cut so I can't use that technique here.

At the end of the fights, Drowzee hit lv. 26.

Turmeric evolved into Hypno!

Now that the trainers have been taken care of, I head towards the Captain's chamber where I run into my rival once again.

ー VS. Rival Green

Unfortunately for Ivysaur, she is weak to 75% of the rival's team so she didn't get any spotlight in this fight.

Instead I led off with Clefairy who took out the Pidgeotto fairly easily, then switched to Hypno to take out the Raticate with Brick Break.

Kadabra is incredibly frail so one Mega Punch from Clefairy took it out, while she handled Charmeleon quite well with Water Pulse. If this was Gen VII, I would have to be careful of Metal Claw but Fairy type isn't a thing yet.

I reach the Captain's chamber and get the HM for Cut and with pain in my heart, I have to teach it to my starter, Ivysaur.

Back to Vermillion we go and with Cut, I can get rid of the tree blocking the gym and finally go get my third gym badge. This is my least favorite gym in Kanto simply because of the frustrating gym puzzle. Am I the only one who always struggles and has the electric locks reset ten times before I get it?

Either way, I take out the gym trainers first and then try testing my luck. After a couple of tries, I gain access to the gym leader.

ー VS. Gym Leader Lt. Surge

I lead off with Clefairy who takes out both his Voltorb and Pikachu with one or two Mega Punches. Especially Pikachu is so frail, I could take it out in one hit even with the attack lowering nature.

Against Raichu, I re-used my strategy from Misty and send out Ivysaur to drop a Leech Seed and then go for Razor Leaf while getting some health back every turn. I could have done it without the Leech Seed as well because Shock Wave barely did any damage to me.

For the third time in a row, Ivysaur proves that it is one of the best starters to pick in Kanto.

Clefairy also performed really well in this match, so as a reward, I give her the Moon Stone after the battle.

Anise evolved into Clefable!

I also teach her the TM Shock Wave so now she covers Ivysaur's two main weaknesses. (Water Pulse for fire types and Shock Wave for Flying types)

-- TO BE CONTINUED --

Current Team

Ivysaur portrait.png

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 28 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Cut / Leech Seed / Poison Powder / Razor Leaf

Clefable portrait.png

Anise - Female - Lv. 28 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Pound / Water Pulse / Mega Punch / Shock Wave

Hypno portrait.png

Turmeric - Male - Lv. 27 - Careful nature - Insomnia

Headbutt / Hypnosis / Brick Break / Confusion

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
You've definitely got great coverage with all of your moves.

Shame indeed of having to teach Cut to Ivysaur. If there's one thing that I definitely don't miss with the new gens, it's the HMs xD

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Congrats on obtaining the Dunder Badge! Even though you didn't need Leech Seed, it's still nice to have it as a back-up. If I recall correctly, Surge's Raichu likes to use Double Team, so Leech Seed might have come in handy if he had chosen to do so!
Anyway, the team appears to be very powerful right now, so keep it up! ^^

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
Caught up with all the previous parts and I must say I am really enjoying this challenge so far. I have never played any of the Gen 3 games so it’s cool to see someone playing through them. Good luck going forward. Also, Anise is just the cutest! :clefable:

Last edited:

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SkylarAlpha: Yup! I like the TMs they chose for FR/LG and how they pace them. In R/B/Y you got some really overpowered moves like Thunderbolt and Ice Beam early on, while in HG/SS, I always struggle to give good moves to my Pokemon because even TMs like Brick Break are post-game. > <

@Calaf: The AI kept on going for Shock Wave against me for some reason. I'm not complaining though. I only have 8 possible Pokemon to use, so I will take all the luck I can get.

@nkween: Thank you very much! Generation 3 is the one I started out with, so it holds a special place in my heart. I would definitely recommend you play Emerald or FR/LG one day! They have aged very well.

Part 5 ー Afraid of the Dark

If this was a non-challenge run, I would have gone through Diglett's Cave back to route 2 to pick up the HM for Flash, but I don't have enough Pokemon caught to get it, nor do I want to waste a move slot on one of my Pokemon. I absolutely hate having to go through Rock Tunnel without Flash but I will just have to deal with it.

My first stop is Cerulean City where I pick up the bicycle in advance. I am really happy I remembered this time because usually when I play through these games, I end up forgetting and have to go back to get on Cycling Road.

Next up is route 9 where I take out all the trainers without any trouble. I misclicked against a Beedrill once with my Hypno, but I don't think it had a Bug type move because the AI didn't go for it. Either way, there aren't any strong Bug type moves in this generation so I should have been okay either way.

Shortly after, I arrive at Rock Tunnel and this is where I decide to cheat a little and google a map of the inside for easy navigation. I could have done it without, but I didn't want to waste any time and grow frustrated by all the Zubat that pop up along the way.

With the guide there, I managed to navigate through the different floors quite easily. There's a few trainers you can avoid if you wish to, but I battled them all for experience. After the fourth gym, there's a huge level jump between Erika and Koga/Sabrina's ace so we shouldn't stay overleveled for long.

I make it out of the cave with no close calls and even though it wasn't that difficult, I'm still glad to have full view of the area again. Even in the newer games where Flash is no longer a thing, caves will just never be my thing. I'm not a huge fan of water areas either but I prefer them over caves.

Now that I am in Lavender Town, I can actually get my next team member who was suggested by @Calaf! He is one of the reserves but since I won't be getting a full team till after Koga, I am going to use this Pokemon for now since it would be silly to box a Pokemon when I have three empty spots in my party.

Instead of going inside the tower to do the rival fight, I head West first and avoid as many trainers as possible before getting to the grassy area in the middle. A few encounters later, I run into the Growlithe that I'm looking for. These things know Roar, so I'm hoping it doesn't end the battle but I get lucky and catch it on the first ball.

Chili (M) the Growlithe has joined the party!

Adamant nature

Flash Fire

45/30/23/27/21/29

Bite / Roar / Ember / Leer

I teach Growlithe the TMs for Dig and Aerial Ace for coverage (+ they are both physical) before carefully making my way over to Celadon City while avoiding all of the remaining trainers on route 8.

Once in Cerulean, I grab the Tea to open up my way to Saffron which I need to easily get back to some other parts of the region. I travel back to route 11 by Vermillion to use the VS Seeker and re-battle some of the trainers to grind my Growlithe. Once he is somewhat caught up with the team, I return to Lavender to proceed with the story.

Inside Pokemon Tower, I run into my rival for yet another battle.

ー VS. Rival Green

Clefable takes out the Pidgeotto as always, but this time I have a super effective to use against it with Shock Wave.

His Gyarados is next and while I should have probably stayed in, my Ivysaur just needed a little more EXP to reach level 32 so I decided to swap it in, thinking that it wouldn't have a move that could hurt me too badly. It goes for Trash and lands a critical hit, doing more than half. I get a little nervous but heal up until it gets confused, not wanting to risk another surprise crit. I get lucky with the hax and Gyarados goes down to a couple of Razor Leafs and turns of hitting itself.

Charmeleon comes out so I swap back to Clefable to take it out with Water Pulse.

Now Green just has his Kadabra and Exeggcute left, both of which get taken out by Growlithe using Bite and Ember respectively.

Rosemary evolved into Venusaur!

Next time, I will return to Celadon City to take on the gym leader first before tackling the Rocket HQ and the remaining of the Pokemon Tower.

-- TO BE CONTINUED --

Current Team

Venusaur portrait.png

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 32 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Clefable portrait.png

Anise - Female - Lv. 32 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Pound / Water Pulse / Mega Punch / Shock Wave

Hypno portrait.png

Turmeric - Male - Lv. 30 - Careful nature - Insomnia

Headbutt / Meditate / Brick Break / Confusion

Growlithe portrait.png

Chili - Male - Lv. 25 - Adamant nature - Flash Fire

Ember / Bite / Dig / Aerial Ace

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Welcome to the team, Chili! :D His Adamant nature won't exactly help with his Fire-type moves, but on the plus side, it will give his coverage moves and Extremespeed a nice boost!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Calaf I realized that as well, but even in a challenge run, I feel like natures and stats don't matter that much because the games are still fairly easy as long as you are not severely underleveled.

@Klave Thank you very much! I've used Clefable at least three or four times in RBY and FRLG, as well as recently on my Let's Go Eevee team so I have plenty of experience with it. I love the Clefairy line and was very happy to get it for this Scramble!

Part 6 ー Hax Attack

Once back in Celadon, I drop by the Department Store first to stock up on healing items, knowing I will probably need a few Antidotes and Paralyze Heals for Erika's gym. I also decide to buy the Fire Stone and the Water Stone so I have these for the future.

Inside the gym, I use
Growlithe to take on all the gym trainers and give him some extra training. As I expected, I do get poisoned and paralyzed quite a bit because Ember is a fairly weak move so it never quite gets the KO on the stronger Pokemon like Weepinbell, Gloom and Ivysaur.

Eventually I get through all of the trainers, leaving
Growlithe just a few experience points shy of hitting lv. 29, the level of Erika's ace. I decide to just go for it, knowing I have Hypno and Venusaur in the back.

ー VS. Gym Leader Erika

I lead off with my Growlithe against her Victreebell, who uses Stun Spore and gets the favor of hax for TWO turns in a row. Acid does respectable damage and I don't want to risk any critical hits, so I swap out to Hypno who can handle it with Confusion.

Growlithe gets another chance against Tangela after I heal him up, but he gets fully paralyzed another two turns before finally landing attacks. I should have just wasted the one turn using a healing item if luck was going to be against me like this.

I know Vileplume will be too bulky, so I swap out to
Hypno to get the final KO and win us the match. Another gym badge has been claimed! I also get the TM for Giga Drain but it only has 5 PP, so I decide to keep Razor Leaf on my Venusaur instead.

My next destination was the Game Corner to defeat the mysterious Team Rocket Grunt and expose their HQ.
Growlithe is still lagging behind in levels just a little, so I use him against the Rocket Grunts in the HQ until he is caught up with the team. At lv. 31, he learns Flame Wheel which is the only move I still wanted before evolving. There is Flamethrower at lv. 49 but I don't think it is a wise idea to wait that long. I would rather have the increased stats.

Chili evolved into Arcanine!

The remaining of the HQ is a breeze and I get the Lift Key in no time, making my way over to the lowest floor to take on Giovanni and get the Silph Scope.

ー VS. Team Rocket Leader Giovanni

His first two Pokemon are Onix and Rhyhorn, both of which get taken out in one hit by Venusaur's Razor Leaf.

The real threat is his Kangaskhan who comes out next. I swap to Hypno to hit it with a Brick Break, but it only did between 25 and 30% of damage. Kangaskhan went for a Tail Whip to lower my defense, which was a little scary but I didn't think it could take me out in one hit, so I went for another Brick Break.

When Kangaskhan went for a Bite, I was relieved. It may be super effective, but I have high special defense and it's a special move so the Tail Whip was useless. Unfortunately, it flinches so I fail to KO the Kangaskhan. I thought the AI would keep on going for a dark type move, but then the game throws me by a loop by going for a Mega Punch.

It hits and takes out my Hypno from about 65% of its health.

Hypno dead.png

RIP Turmeric the Hypno

Lv. 11 ~ Lv. 31

Cause of death: Mega Punch from Giovanni's Kangaskhan

After the loss, I quickly swap in Arcanine to finish it with Flame Wheel.

I eventually do win the battle and get the Silph Scope, but I still felt pretty devastated after losing Hypno. This was surprising because I used to hate this Pokemon, but I really liked its role on the team and it had some nice coverage with Confusion and Brick Break. On the flip side, this means that Arcanine will probably remain a part of the main team now that a spot has opened up for it.

To make up for the loss of my Psychic type, I also return to Saffron to pick up the TM for Psychic and teach it to Clefable. She is weak to Fighting types but it should come in handy for Koga's gym at least.

Next time, I will do the Pokemon Tower and after receiving the Pokeflute, I'll be able to add two more members to the team.

-- TO BE CONTINUED --​

Current Team

Venusaur portrait.png

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 33 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Clefable portrait.png

Anise - Female - Lv. 33 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Psychic / Water Pulse / Mega Punch / Shock Wave

Arcanine portrait.png

Chili - Male - Lv. 32 - Adamant nature - Flash Fire

Flame Wheel / Bite / Dig / Aerial Ace

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
Nooo!! So sad to see Turmeric go :hypno:. I was really rooting for this team to go all the way. I’m enjoying reading this challenge a lot I love the way you write.

I recently used both Arcanine :arcanine: and Clefable :clefable: on my Ultra Sun team so they have a special place in my heart. Good luck going forward.

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Oh my goodness, you were doing so well too with your team... RIP Tumeric...