Scramble [Complete] Kaori's Pokemon Fire Red Nuzlocke Scramble

Who deserves to be the MVP of this challenge?

• Venusaur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clefable

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Arcanine

• Snorlax

• Poliwrath

• Electabuzz

• Total voters

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
wow, that's so sad about Turmeric...well i guess deaths are part of the challenge.. :pensiveazurill:
Chili is a cute name for Arcanine btw :3

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@nkween A death was pretty much inevitable at one point. Although I will definitely start playing even more defensive from now on. > < I still have one other reserve but after that, it's just one full team left.

@SkylarAlpha That Kangaskhan is a beast. ;; I shouldn't have underestimated it.

@Bunnie It is, unfortunately. ;; I'll try to make that the only death.

Part 7 ー Recovery

It is a little ironic we have to go to the Pokemon Tower right after using a Pokemon, but we need that flute to continue with the story. With the Silph Scope, the ghosts are now visible as Gastly and Haunter and I can make my way to the very top of the tower.

The trainers on the way all use Ghost types as well, so they are no match for Arcanine with Bite or Clefable with Psychic. Venusaur didn't get to shine much here because its only move that can do damage to them is not very effective.

Grass is, however, super effective against Ground types. So when the spirit of Marowak shows up, I have Venusaur out in front to take it out with Razor Leaf and put it to rest. I actually really like how in Let's Go, we don't have to fight the Pokemon and instead get a little cutscene instead. I won't spoil what exactly happens in it, but it was such a nice addition.

After taking care of a couple of Rocket Grunts on the upper floor, we finally reach Mr. Fuji and get the Poke Flute upon returning to his home. This item is essential to getting our new team member, who was also suggested by @LRachelR5!

There are two spots for me to get one, but I decide to aim for the one West of Celadon since it doesn't require me to fight any trainers beforehand. I want to keep that EXP for the Pokemon I'm about to add to the team.

Liquorice (M) the Snorlax has joined the party!

Impish nature

Thick Fat

140/78/49/39/76/32

Headbutt / Yawn / Rest / Snore

Snorlax can be a real powerhouse, so I buy an extra TM for Brick Break from the Department Store and also return to Rock Tunnel to teach him Rock Slide via tutoring.

However, this isn't the only Pokemon I can add to the party now. I try to avoid as many of the trainers on Cycling Road as possible before going straight down to Fuchia where we can get the Good Rod from a fisherman. In the same little pond behind his house, I caught my next Pokemon who was requested by @Cynical_Toast ~

Peppermint (M) the Poliwag has joined the party!

Jolly nature

Water Absorb

42/23/17/16/20/36

Bubble / Hypnosis / Water Gun

I also went through the Safari Zone to get the HM for Surf and teach that to Poliwag, as well as the Golden Teeth to get the HM for Strength and teach that to Venusaur after getting rid of Cut via the move deleter. I also tried to get my second reserve Pokemon, a Scyther, but no luck yet. It keeps on breaking out of the balls and fleeing after just one turn.

Before I could continue onwards, I needed to train my team a little. Especially Poliwag is only lv. 15 so there is no way he could take on any of the upcoming trainers. For Water types, I like to train in Diglett Cave before using the VS Seeker against the couple of Hikers in front of the exit to Rock Tunnel, so that's exactly what I did.

Peppermint evolved into Poliwhirl!

Not the most eventful update in regards to battling, but I wanted to get this out of the way before continuing with the story -- next time!

Current Team

Venusaur portrait.png

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 34 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Strength / Leech Seed / Poison Powder / Razor Leaf

Clefable portrait.png

Anise - Female - Lv. 34 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Psychic / Water Pulse / Mega Punch / Shock Wave

Arcanine portrait.png

Chili - Male - Lv. 33 - Adamant nature - Flash Fire

Flame Wheel / Bite / Dig / Aerial Ace

Snorlax portrait.png

Liquorice - Male - Lv. 32 - Impish nature - Thick Fat

Headbutt / Brick Break / Rest / Rock Slide

Poliwhirl.png

Peppermint - Male - Lv. 32 - Jolly nature - Water Absorb

Surf / Brick Break / Dig / Hypnosis

Last edited:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
welcome, Liquorice and Peppermint!

i'm glad Clefable has been useful in this team ^^

LRachelR5

Junior Trainer
Glad to see that everything is going alright for you, I hope that Snorlax is fun for you to use with it's coverage moves and being bulky.

Raddious

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Radd
Time Zone
Eastern Standard Time
3DS FC
2552-4834-7457
IGN
Raddious
Wow... We both had a death to the exact same move from the exact same pokemon.... I really like the presentation of this playthrough btw. I might take a couple of notes for my Emerald Scramble.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Bunnie Her stats might not be the highest, but the variety in moves makes up for it! Also Normal types only have one weakness so they're generally pretty good to use!

@LRachelR5 I have actually never used a Snorlax in FR/LG but I am sure he will be a great member to the team! ^^

@Raddious That Kangaskhan was definitely out for blood! > < I'll be super cautious of it the next time I do a challenge run of these games. I'm glad you enjoy the format! Feel free to take inspiration from it.

Part 8 ー The final member!

Between route 12, 13, 14, 15 and the Cycling Road, I had plenty of trainers to take on and train my team for the match against Koga. I never realized before just how many trainer battles there are in the Kanto Region. Although it does make sense when you take in account the 10+ level jump between Erika and Koga/Sabrina's aces.

Sabrina is notorious for being one of the hardest gym leaders, so I made sure I was already nicely trained up for Koga while still leaving the Fighting Dojo and the Rocket Grunts in Silph Co. untouched. Instead I used the VS. Seeker to re-battle some trainers here and there and get those extra levels on my Pokemon.

Poliwhirl hit lv. 35 soon enough, giving it Body Slam which is the last move I wanted on it before I can use the Water Stone which I had already bought in advance.

Peppermint evolved into Poliwrath!

The hardest Pokemon to train had to be my Venusaur because aside from the fishermen on route 12, most of the trainers in the areas surrounding Fuchia have Flying or Poison types. I had to go back to some older areas and re-battle some of the trainers there instead. Due to using the VS Seeker to grind, I've gotten myself quite a bit of money as well so hopefully I'll be able to buy a few nice TMs from the Game Corner in the future.

I also tried again to get a Scyther from the Safari Zone, but to no avail. I will probably just keep on going now and see if I have any more deaths amongst my current main team before bothering to capture this last reserve Pokemon.

Once all trained up to lv. 42, it was time to tackle Koga's gym. I took on all the gym leaders for extra EXP and the first Hypno actually gave me a lot of trouble. Its Psychic did a surprising amount of damage against my Arcanine. I found it ironic how a Hypno was making me struggle, after I just lost mine not too long ago.

The other gym trainers didn't pose much problems and I reached the gym leader without any casualties.

ー VS. Gym Leader Koga

If Clefable was a Fairy type, I wouldn't have been able to use her in this gym, but as a Normal type with Psychic, she rocks! Koffing goes down in just one hit before even getting the chance to attack first.

I want to switch things up and go out to my Arcanine against Koga's Muk, but after one Minimize and two Acid Armors, I realize that Dig isn't the way to go here, so I swap back out to my Clefable to finish the job with Psychic.

His next Koffing suffers the same fate as the first and also Weezing eventually goes down to a Psychic. He did manage to Toxic my Clefable and heal up twice to try and Toxic stall me, but I had Hyper Potions in the back if needed.

Another badge has been claimed and I also get the TM for Toxic to replace Poison Powder on Venusaur.

Most important of all, I could now use the TM Surf and make my way back to route 10 to access the Power Plant. One thing I wish my team had was a Flying type to use Fly because having to backtrack on foot is a bit of a drag. At least Kanto isn't too bad because Saffron gives you easy access to other parts of the region.

Once inside the Power Plant, I can look for my final team member, suggested by @Raddious !

It is the rare encounter so I have to run around for a bit before he shows up.

Mustard (M) the Electabuzz has joined the party!

Hasty nature

Static

92/44/75/69/89

Leer / Thunderpunch / Light Screen / Swift

I make my way back to Fuchia City to use the VS Seeker and re-battle the trio of Birdkeepers at the exit of the Cycling Road a couple of times to get Electabuzz caught up to the rest of the team and now we're all ready to tackle the Saffron City shenanigans!

-- TO BE CONTINUED --​

Venusaur portrait.png

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 43 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Strength / Leech Seed / Toxic / Razor Leaf

Clefable portrait.png

Anise - Female - Lv. 43 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Arcanine portrait.png

Chili - Male - Lv. 43 - Adamant nature - Flash Fire

Snorlax portrait.png

Liquorice - Male - Lv. 42 - Impish nature - Thick Fat

Body Slam / Brick Break / Rest / Rock Slide

Poliwrath.png

Peppermint - Male - Lv. 42 - Jolly nature - Water Absorb

Surf / Brick Break / Dig / Body Slam

Electabuzz portrait.png

Mustard - Male - Lv. 42 - Hasty nature - Static

Brick Break / Thunderpunch / Light Screen / Swift

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Kudos to the normal-type Anise for (nearly) soloing Koga there. If she were a fairy, I wonder how you would've dealt with him. :hmmazurill:

Also, welcome to the jungle, Mustard. :happyazurill:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
go go Anise!

this challenge is going so smooth, very nice ^^

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
It's awesome to see the team complete! Looks like you're going through the game without too much trouble, aside from that fateful encounter with Giovanni's Kangaskhan (which is a monster, I had some trouble with it on my last FireRed challenge as well). Keep up the good work! ^^

...*whispers so the cops don't hear* Also, if you're not opposed to a little smuggling, you could just buy a Scyther at the Game Corner

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
Yay! So happy to see a complete team finally. I'm loving this playthrough so much, I still can't get over Anise's cuteness. Electabuzz is indeed a very cool Pokemon to use so I'm hoping he fares well. Good luck and keep on going!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the insane support of this challenge! It's a blast reading everyone's reactions every time! ^^

I would also like to ask a question since I'm nearing the part in the game where you get the choice to go to the first three Sevii Islands after the 7th gym, so I was wondering if you guys would like me to include this? I am having a lot of fun with this team so I wouldn't mind doing all of the post game content as well, although it would require me to break the rules and catch more Pokemon to obtain the National Dex.

So yeah, please let me know what you think! Should I go all the way and include the Sevii Islands or would you rather just see me do the main campaign?

@sanianisa I probably would have just gone out there and tried to hit his Pokemon with my strongest moves. They aren't very strong on the offensive side, but the Toxic stalling can get annoying.

@Bunnie Thank you! It is going a lot smoother than I expected.

@Calaf I'm on Christmas break so after studying for my upcoming exams, I pretty much play for the entire evening and get a lot done. Especially the beginning went by so fast because I never had to grind when you only have 2/3 Pokemon on your team.

I totally forgot about the Scyther there, but I think I'd rather buy coins to get some TMs like Shadow Ball and Ice Beam.

@nkween I usually try and have a full team before the 4th gym, but there have been times where I broke that rule when a Pokemon I really wanted wasn't available until later. Getting the Poke Flute opens up so many areas in Kanto and at least you kind of get the freedom to choose where to go first.

@Pendraflare This just shows that Clefable was a beast even before becoming a Fairy. I do have a bit of a slow team except for Arcanine so having an Electabuzz will really help! Especially with that Hasty nature.

Part 9 ー Revenge

Before heading to Saffron City, I decide to throw my money at the game corner and buy up to 4500 coins to be able to get the TM for Shadow Ball and teach it to Snorlax. This should surely come in handy against Sabrina and later on, against Agatha of the Elite Four!

I have the choice to take on the Fighting Dojo or Silph Co. first and I go with the former, wanting to get that out of the way. I know that Venusaur won't be able to do much against the Poison types which Team Rocket likes to use, so I thought this would be a nice way to give her some extra EXP. She resists Fighting type attacks and Razor Leaf does nice damage even when it's just neutral.

When I reached the final trainer, I did swap out Arcanine to the front to take down both Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee with Aerial Ace. Ironically enough, Hitmonchan used Ice Punch on a fire type and only did 4 points of damage, but he got the FREEZE. Thankfully I could use Flame Wheel to thaw myself out but I thought that was kind of hilarious.

Silph Co. is next and I remember this place being an absolute nightmare when I was a child. I didn't really try and tackle it in any particular order but just started teleporting around while desperately trying to get the card key and eventually find my way to the president. I must have surely spent hours in that one building.

Nowadays I do all floors once while going up, only using the teleporters once to get the Card Key but not yet using it. On my way, I defeat all reachable Grunts and Scientists. Then once at the top, I use the elevator to go back down and heal because there's a lot of battles so I was all out of PP on some of my moves. Clefable got to participate a lot once again against all those Poison types. Electabuzz also came in handy to defeat the abundance of Golbat.

The second time, I do open all the doors to get all the items and fight any additional trainers. Then I heal one more time, this time with the girl inside the building and use the nearby teleporter to bring myself to the right track.

Unfortunately, this tracks brings me to my rival. I recall this being one of the hardest rival battles of the entire game, but that might be because I was never smart enough to heal as a child.

ー VS. Rival Green

I lead off with Electabuzz to take out the Pidgeot in one hit. Green has a bit of a brain fart moment and sends out his Gyarados against my Electric type, which obviously stood no change. That's 2-0 for my Electabuzz.

Exeggcute is up next so I send out Arcanine to cook those eggs with Flame Wheel, another one hit KO.

Against his Alakazam, I use my Snorlax with Shadow Ball. Alakazam goes for Future Sight so I know for sure that I will not be using Poliwrath against his last Pokemon. It would be risky either way because a Wing Attack would hurt and I am not confident in taking 2 Super Effective hits.

Instead I simply stay in with Snorlax who has Rock Slide. Charizard goes for Smokescreen which has me worried for a bit because I hate playing the Accuracy game. Miraculously we still hit and take out his last Pokemon in one hit.

It pains me to not be able to take the Lapras from the Silph Co employee but I didn't get one for this Scramble, so onwards I go!

I am not quite done yet, because the real challenge is still up ahead. I am a little nervous to take on Giovanni's Kangaskhan again after losing a Pokemon to it, but I will be super cautious this time.

ー VS. Team Rocket Leader Giovanni

I could not remember his leading Pokemon, so I lead off with Poliwrath, hoping it will be another Rock/Ground type like last time. Nidorino isn't a bad match-up either since I can go for Dig. By some sort of miracle, I do not get poisoned by Poison Point or the upcoming Poison Sting and can finish it with a Surf.

Nidoqueen is up next who is much more bulky so I swap to Arcanine who also has Dig but a higher attack stat. Dig did about half and this time, I did get poisoned. Fortunately, his Nidoqueen has a horrible moveset so I can safely go for another Dig without healing off the status.

Against his Rhyhorn I use my Venusaur, who can take it out in one hit with Razor Leaf.

I thought about just staying in with Venusaur against Kangaskhan but I decide to swap to Poliwrath instead and test my luck. It lands a critical hit Fake Out but surprisingly enough doesn't do that much damage. Brick Break does a lot and brings it down to just 10% and there comes the Mega Punch but Poliwrath takes it like a boss and ends the fight with another Brick Break.

It seems like I worried for nothing, but better be safe than sorry, right?

Giovanni retreats and we get the Master Ball. I almost sold the thing for money to buy coins and healing items, but I eventually decided to keep it, just in case I run into a shiny or something.

Since this part already has two boss battles, I will keep Sabrina for next time. Stay tuned!

-- TO BE CONTINUED --​

Current Team

Venusaur portrait.png

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 45 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Clefable portrait.png

Anise - Female - Lv. 45 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Arcanine portrait.png

Chili - Male - Lv. 45 - Adamant nature - Flash Fire

Snorlax portrait.png

Liquorice - Male - Lv. 44 - Impish nature - Thick Fat

Body Slam / Brick Break / Shadow Ball / Rock Slide

Poliwrath.png

Peppermint - Male - Lv. 45 - Jolly nature - Water Absorb

Electabuzz portrait.png

Mustard - Male - Lv. 44 - Hasty nature - Static

Brick Break / Thunderpunch / Light Screen / Swift

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Yay! Revenge for poor Turmeric's death!

I didn't know the Sevii Islands were optional I always choose to do the Sevii Island side quest and I find it to be an integral part of the game, so I would love to see you tackle the first three islands! As for the post-game islands, that would be great as well of course, but I would have that depend on how the battles against the Elite Four and the Champion go. I can imagine that it would not be too much fun if you only have two pokemon remaining *knocks on wood*

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i agree with Calaf on this, i'd love to see as much as there is in the game, but if you lose many of your mons in the last battles, then i'm not very sure how much it would be worth it to continue without them~

Definitely do include the Sevii Islands, especially since you're having fun with the challenge ^^

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I'm gonna agree with the above two here. As long as you're having fun, go for it! Catching extra Pokémon for the National Dex isn't that much of a problem. Just put them in like a separate PC Box or something and you're fine!

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Another vote for Sevii Islands.

And yes, likewise I find the best way to tackle Silph is to go floor by floor systematically and minimise use of the teleporters. I also hoard my Master Balls in case I encounter a shiny that might flee or explode.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Calaf I think it is optional? I sort of just assumed it would be, to be honest. xD

Thank you for the suggestion though! I think I will do it like that, with the three islands being 'mandatory' and the remaining four will depend on the amount of Pokemon I have left.

@Bunnie Thank you for the feedback!

@SkylarAlpha Great idea! It's gonna take a while to get to 60 species registered but I don't mind doing it.

@icelandic Glad to know I'm not the only one!

@Klave I find FR/LG one of the easiest games for this because you have the VS Seeker for easy training. (It even gets you money so win-win situation)

Part 10 ー Crisis Averted

Sabrina is notorious for being one of the toughest challenges in the Kanto Region, but I think a lot of her power got reduced with the swap from gen I to gen III and the updated mechanics. Psychic types are still strong, but not nearly as broken as they were before.

Rather than the gym leader itself, I think some of her gym trainers are much scarier. I had my Snorlax out against a Gastly and at the very last second, I remembered that the Gastly line gets Destiny Bond by level up. To test the waters, I go for Brick Break and my prediction was spot on. I would have been so frustrated if that made me lose my Snorlax.

This gives me a chance to swap out to Arcanine instead, who can outspeed them and go for Bite. It did take me a couple turns of stalling with Dig though, because I had gotten hit by Destiny Bond on the switch and it kept going for it several times in a row.

This is also the one gym where I don't try and battle all the gym trainers because once I go out of order with the teleporters, it's game over for me and I struggle forever to find the right path.

Eventually I reach Sabrina and I am pretty confident that Snorlax will grant me an easy victory.

ー VS. Gym Leader Sabrina

Despite being slow, Snorlax has no problem taking out both Kadabra and Mr. Mime with Shadow Ball. I think STAB Body Slam might have done the same or even more damage, but I tend to always gravitate towards super effective moves.

Against Venomoth, I swap out to Arcanine to hit it with a strong Flame Wheel. Even with the Adamant nature, Arcanine has been a real beast on both the physical and special side.

Just like Green's Alakazam, this one goes down to a single hit from Snorlax as well and that seals the deal. Definitely one of the easier gym battles of this challenge.

Before I return to Fuchia City, I decided to spend some more money on coins and get the TM for Flamethrower to teach Arcanine. I also replaced Mega Punch on Clefable and gave her Calm Mind to boost her special attack~

A little secret, I hate going through the Seafoam Islands, so I usually skip them by doing the two water routes surrounding Cinnabar separately. I defeat all the trainers on the ones to the right first and then go through Diglett's Cave to return to route 2 for quick access to Pallet Town. From there on it's just a short swim down to Cinnabar Island.

One thing's for sure ー Venusaur, Clefable and Electabuzz gained a lot of levels from taking on all those swimmers.

To balance things out, I use mostly Arcanine and Poliwrath against the trainers in Cinnabar Mansion. These two will be the star players in the battle against Blaine, so I do want to get them caught up with the rest of the team.

Speaking of Blaine, we can't get in his gym yet so I did the little puzzle inside the mansion first, eventually getting to the Secret Key. I remember it took me a while to figure this one out as a child because I never thought of speaking to the statues. ^^;;

In my defense, we only get the games in English here and at the age of 10, my English skills were very poor.

I apologize if this part was rather boring, but next time I will take on Blaine and get started on the Sevii Island sidequest!

-- TO BE CONTINUED --

Current Team

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 48 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Anise - Female - Lv. 48 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Psychic / Water Pulse / Calm Mind / Shock Wave

Chili - Male - Lv. 47 - Adamant nature - Flash Fire

Flamethrower / Bite / Dig / Aerial Ace

Liquorice - Male - Lv. 47 - Impish nature - Thick Fat

Body Slam / Brick Break / Shadow Ball / Rock Slide

Peppermint - Male - Lv. 47 - Jolly nature - Water Absorb

Mustard - Male - Lv. 47 - Hasty nature - Static

Brick Break / Thunderbolt / Light Screen / Swift

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
"In my defense, we only get the games in English here and at the age of 10, my English skills were very poor."

I feel you there. I started playing Yellow with my sister and she was 7 and I was only 4 years old. We did manage to get to the League somehow xD

Sabrina definitely went easy for you. Good luck with Blaine as well!

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Congrats on beating Sabrina! Also, I totally know what you mean with playing the game in English. I remember getting stuck on my first playthrough of Silver when I was younger because I couldn't figure out how to wake up the Snorlax in front of Diglett's cave :P