Scramble [Complete] Kaori's Pokemon Fire Red Nuzlocke Scramble

Who deserves to be the MVP of this challenge?

• Venusaur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clefable

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Arcanine

• Snorlax

• Poliwrath

• Electabuzz

• Total voters

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
Another great part well done. I kind of miss Clefable being a Normal-type I think the wide move pool works benefits you more when your STAB attack will never be super effective. Looking forward to the fight against Blaine. Good luck!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SkylarAlpha Kudos to both of you for that! I watched the Pokemon anime throughout early childhood but I didn't start playing the games until 5th or 6th grade. (My first ones were Leaf Green and Emerald) I remember thinking my game was glitched because my Lileep on Emerald kept on getting EXP even when it didn't participate in battle. Turns out I had put the EXP. Share on it without even know what the item did because I couldn't understand the descriptions.

@Pendraflare Thank you! I played the remakes so it wasn't even that bad. Actual gen I has the horrible graphics which only makes things even more confusing.

@Calaf While It is a little unfair but at least we have the English names for the Pokemon unlike France and Germany where it's all different. I remember the anime translated some of the attacks to Dutch and it always made me cringe as a teen. Nowadays I can only enjoy the Pokemon anime in Japanese.

@nkween You have a point! It has gained two weaknesses by becoming a Fairy, but it lost its weakness to Fighting and earned an immunity to Dragon so I'd say it's a fair trade off.

Part 11 ー What is this? A sidequest?

I seem to have gotten myself stuck in some sort of cycle of having a gym battle at the very start of each part, rather than at the end. It seems a bit unnatural but I hope you guys don't mind too much.

Blaine's gym gives you the choice between using your brains or just destroying everyone and making your way through that way. I go for the latter because this is a Nuzlocke and I will take all the EXP. I can get without having to do extra grinding. I forgot how many gym trainers this gym has though, I think I almost got an entire level on two of my Pokemon, which is impressive at this point of the game.

I go back to heal and restore PP before it is time to take on the gym leader.

ー VS. Gym Leader Blaine

This gym has always been underwhelming to me because Fire types honestly are not that good when your gym is surrounded by water and Surf is needed to access it.

Poliwrath basically sweeps through his first three Pokemon with Surf, despite being Jolly nature. I could have used Dig as well but I didn't feel like waiting the extra turn every time when Surf does the job well enough.

For his last Pokemon, I decided it would be fun to have a little 'honor' battle against my own Arcanine. Mine is one level higher, but Blaine got the better nature in Intimidate. ー Or so I thought at least, until the AI went for Fire Blast and upped the power of my own fire moves. At that point, Flamethrower did about the same as Dig did after the Intimidate. Even with the Flash Fire boost, it was just shy of a 2-hit KO so I did have to sit through some heal spamming until eventually claiming the victory.

We get the TM for Fire Blast but I hate any move that has lowered accuracy (and the 5 PP doesn't make it any more appealing) so I will just sell this one for money.

When I leave the gym, Bill makes a surprise appearance and gives you the option to follow him to One Island to meet up with his friend Celio. I did get the option to say 'no' so I assume that it is possible to skip this side quest.

I'm a nice person, however, so I accompany him and we hop onto the ship which very conveniently arrives just on time.

Once arrived, Bill and Celio talk about the PC system for a bit before handing me a Meteorite to hand over to a guy on Two Island. I also get the Tri Pass which grants me access to part of the Sevii Islands.

Instead of finishing this errand right away, I decide to run off East instead and make my way over to Kindle Road. There's a few Swimmers along the way which is nice training for Venusaur and Electabuzz. Later on there's black belts which are no match for Psychic from my Clefable. I am not too worried about using her against these Pokemon because of the bold nature and higher level. Even if she gets outsped, I'm fairly confident I can take at least one of any hit. (Also movesets were still pretty crappy in this generation)

I go all the way to Mt. Ember to defeat all the trainers I can find, before heading back to the ferry. (Sorry Moltres, no spotlight for you this time)

Instead of actually delivering the Meteorite, I end up stuck in another type of sidequest after discovering that a little girl by the name of Lostelle has gone missing. Poor girl must have had some really cruel parents if they thought naming her that was a smart idea.

I eventually find her on Three Island after getting rid of a bike gang. Psychic types means more training for Clefable who is slowly turning out to be the MVP of this Scramble team.

Lostelle is unharmed but being attacked by a scary Poke...

Turmeric, is that you?

This part of the game made me remember why I don't like Hypno very much. It's just creepy how they made him lure in this little girl and terrorize her.

Snorlax sends Turmeric Hypno back to the afterlife with a Shadow Ball and all ends well! The guy from the game center gets his Meteorite and we get a Moon Stone in return. In the meantime, the PC system on One Island has been fixed as well and it is time to end our little vacation and head back to Kanto with Bill.

Next time, I will head back to Viridian City and hopefully earn my final gym badge!​

Current Team

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 50 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Strength / Leech Seed / Toxic / Razor Leaf

Anise - Female - Lv. 50 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Psychic / Water Pulse / Calm Mind / Shock Wave

Chili - Male - Lv. 49 - Adamant nature - Flash Fire

Flamethrower / Extremespeed / Dig / Aerial Ace

Liquorice - Male - Lv. 49 - Impish nature - Thick Fat

Body Slam / Brick Break / Shadow Ball / Rock Slide

Peppermint - Male - Lv. 49 - Jolly nature - Water Absorb

Surf / Brick Break / Dig / Body Slam

Mustard - Male - Lv. 49 - Hasty nature - Static

Brick Break / Thunderbolt / Light Screen / Swift

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Blaine went by very smoothly as expected! And Lostelle has been safely returned home ^^

Oh, I remember those Dutch names for some of the moves in the anime... the one that stuck the most was when May called out for Torchic to use 'Sintel' and I was like... wtf does that even mean? I didn't even know of the word in Dutch xD but yeah, Ember sounds a lot better...

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
You are so right about the translation to Dutch! Thanks to that I thought Charizard had Earthquake for years, but it turned out to be Seismic Toss of all things. Anyway, congrats on beating Blaine!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SkylarAlpha I have no idea what that words means either! xD Although I'm from Belgium, so I probably just assumed it's a Netherlands-only term which didn't make its way over to the Flemish dialect.

@Calaf I came across the Pokemon Black/White anime on TV not too long ago while just aimlessly zapping through channels and it was so much worse than I remembered. Although cartoons in general are difficult for me to watch because the dubbing quality is so much worse than that of say, Disney movies.

Part 12 ー Road to Victory

It is hard to believe I made it this far in such a short amount of time. I guess that goes to show I am wasting too much time on games after all. In my defense, I started playing right before New Year's Eve so I basically played non-stop during the evening all the way up to midnight because I didn't really have much else to do.

Now I am at the final gym and the gym trainers are actually quite strong. I found myself running back once or twice to heal up after taking a strong attack. They also don't use just one type but a variety of different strong Pokemon. (Mostly Rock, Ground, Normal and Poison though)

I do eventually make it up to Giovanni and since this is the final gym fight, it felt only fitting to lead with the same Pokemon who faced the very first gym leader.

ー VS. Gym Leader Giovanni

Venusaur hasn't gotten much spotlight lately but she proves once again how strong she is by taking out both Rhyhorn and his Dugtrio, all in one hit. Against his remaining Nidoqueen and Nidoking, I decide to use Clefable, who has been with me the second longest out of the team. Psychic isn't quite a one-hit KO, but their Earthquakes don't hurt too badly so I can get through both of them without having to heal up.

A little anti-climatic how the last gym battle went so smoothly, but it did feel nice to beat him with my two 'veteran' team members. The only ladies of the team but they surely have some girl power.

Rather than the Earth Badge, I am more excited about finally getting the TM for Earthquake and teaching it to Snorlax. He is going to destroy some lives with that. I also decide it is finally time to swap out Body Slam for Return now that his happiness should be nearly maxed out.

This completes everything I can do within the Kanto region, so it's time for a short trip Westwards to the Indigo Plateau~

Of course, I do not get there right away as my rival shows up soon enough. I never did the initial rival battle on that exact spot, but this time I won't be able to escape him.

ー VS. Rival Green

He leads off with his Pidgeot as always, so I already have my Electabuzz ready to zap its wings with a strong Thunderbolt. I had never used Electabuzz before but I have to admit, it is really strong.

This time Green is smart about his switches and sends out Rhydon but Venusaur is a professional at taking those out after the gym match against Giovanni from earlier.

Alakazam is up next so I swap to Snorlax. It goes for Calm Mind but never has a chance to attack after that since I take it out with Shadow Ball.

I could have gone back out to Electabuzz against his Gyarados, but I wanted to use my full team of six as well so I used Clefable with Shock Wave. Still does the job when the opponent has a 4x weakness.

Exeggcute is easy with Arcanine and even Charizard doesn't pose too much trouble against a Rock Slide from Snorlax. Unfortunately, Poliwrath is weak against pretty much all of my rival's team so he didn't get a chance to shine this time.

Green has fallen once again and we are off to the Victory Road! Another puzzle which I loathed as a child but it actually wasn't too bad at all when I went through it this time. I guess being smart enough to buy Max Repels really goes a long way.

The trainers in Victory Road are strong but they also give out a ton of EXP so it's great training before you take on the league. I couldn't remember which trainer uses what Pokemon, so I usually just went in hoping I had the right Pokemon in the front and if I didn't, I simply swapped out.

There were no real scary moments, except for the one time I led off with Arcanine and the opponent sent out a Kingler. I instinctively switched to Electabuzz and mid-switch, I wondered if it had Guillotine. Thankfully it went for Mud Shot which still hurt but I could take it out in one hit afterwards. I looked it up afterwards and it probably DID have the move but I got lucky that it didn't go for it. (Because knowing me, it would land)

I made it out with no casualties and now I am here, at the league entrance.

...But I need to train first. My whole team was level 52 by this point and I did not feel confident going in like that.

This is where I have a little confession to make. I may have cheated a little and caught myself a Pidgey at one point so I could use Fly. I know I wanted to train on Kindle Road (One Island) for the league and did not feel like going all the way back through Victory Road and to Vermillion just for that. Please forgive me. u w u

I am actually not sure to which level I should train so I am going to ask you guys for a bit of advice here. I usually only go till about lv. 55 but since this is a Scramble Nuzlocke, maybe I should aim a little higher? Or would that take away the challenge?

Let me know what you think!

-- TO BE CONTINUED --​

Current Team

Rosemary - Female - Lv. 52 - Relaxed nature - Overgrow

Strength / Leech Seed / Toxic / Razor Leaf

Anise - Female - Lv. 52 - Bold nature - Cute Charm

Psychic / Water Pulse / Calm Mind / Shock Wave

Chili - Male - Lv. 42 - Adamant nature - Flash Fire

Flamethrower / Extremespeed / Dig / Aerial Ace

Liquorice - Male - Lv. 52 - Impish nature - Thick Fat

Return / Earthquake / Shadow Ball / Rock Slide

Peppermint - Male - Lv. 52 - Jolly nature - Water Absorb

Surf / Brick Break / Dig / Body Slam

Mustard - Male - Lv. 52 - Hasty nature - Static

Brick Break / Thunderbolt / Light Screen / Swift

LRachelR5

Junior Trainer
I would say 55 is okay, you'll be only slightly stronger than Loreli and you'd probably be only slightly weaker than Lance by the end of the run of the E4

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Well, I know that if people work with like a level limit, their final level limit is the same as the Champion's lowest leveled Pokémon (doing a quick check, that would be level 57 for you). However, that's something you should decide for yourself, so as long as you feel comfortable to take on the league, you should go for it ^^

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Come to think of it, you didn't set any level limits, right? I'd say that a little bit overleveling won't hurt in this case. And about your Pidgey "cheat", it honestly doesn't matter as long as the Pidgey doesn't fight. That is, unless you got a Charizard or something able to fly back when you requested some Pokemon for this scramble.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Thank you guys for the feedback! I had already trained the team to lv. 55 when I posted yesterday so I decided to add an additional 2 levels and go up to 57. I do have a nice variety of moves and most of my team is fairly defensive so I should be okay.

Part 12.5 ー Team Overview

It is time to take on the Elite Four, but first let's take a look at all the team members who made it this far.

First up is Rosemary the Venusaur, my starter who has made it all the way!

Lv. 57

Female

Relaxed nature

Overgrow

HP: 173 ll Attack: 124 ll Defense: 145 ll Sp. Attack: 138 ll Sp. Defense: 134 ll Speed: 98

Razor Leaf / Leech Seed / Toxic / Strength

Next is Anise the Clefable, who has been with me since Mt. Moon! You don't see this Pokemon being used often, but she has been a real trooper so far!

Lv. 57

Female

Bold nature

Cute Charm

HP: 188 ll Attack: 99 ll Defense: 119 ll Sp. Attack: 118 ll Sp. Defense: 116 ll Speed: 101

Psychic / Calm Mind / Shock Wave / Ice Beam

Third up we have Chili the Arcanine, a fan favorite and definitely a great asset to the team! His fire moves are strong despite the Adamant nature and a lack of a physical/special split.

Lv. 57

Male

Adamant nature

Flash Fire

HP: 178 ll Attack: 180 ll Defense: 121 ll Sp. Attack: 126 ll Sp. Defense: 103 ll Speed: 145

Extremespeed / Dig / Flamethrower / Aerial Ace

Liquorice the Snorlax is the second Normal type of the team, but a special wall and hard physical hitter.

Lv. 57

Male

Impish nature

Thick Fat

HP: 259 ll Attack: 157 ll Defense: 95 ll Sp. Attack: 79 ll Sp. Defense: 143 ll Speed: 81

Return / Shadow Ball / Earthquake / Rock Slide

Later on in the game, Peppermint the Poliwrath joined us as a long-awaited Water type. While his Fighting type may leave him vulnerable at times, he has still been a great asset and our surfer!

Lv. 57

Male

Jolly nature

Water Absorb

HP: 184 ll Attack: 133 ll Defense: 130 ll Sp. Attack: 83 ll Sp. Def: 119 ll Speed: 118

Surf / Dig / Brick Break / Body Slam

Last but not least, we have Mustard the Electabuzz! He has been with us for the shortest amount of time, but hits incredibly hard and is a true Flying-type killer!

Lv. 57

Male

Hasty nature

Static

HP: 157 ll Attack: 125 ll Defense: 79 ll Sp. Attack: 134 ll Sp. Defense: 120 ll Speed: 172

Thunderbolt / Brick Break / Light Screen / Swift

From tomorrow onwards, I will start posting the different Elite Four and Champion battles one by one, twice a day. (One in the morning and one in the evening GMT+1)

Question for everyone: Which Elite Four member will be the easiest? Which Elite Four member will be the biggest struggle?

Let me know what you think!

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Lorelei will probably be the easiest to battle. 4 out of 5 Pokemon on Lorelei's team is also part Water-Type, so she's a total pushover when you bring an Electric-type, especially a fast one like Mustard! As for the hardest Elite Four... maybe Bruno?

nkween

Ace Trainer
Time Zone
GMT
So happy to see you've made it this far. You've inspired me to keep going with my challenge so I thank you for that. I love how you've managed to give your Pokemon subtle personalities through your descriptions. Anise :clefable: is still my favorite though.

As for your question, I would agree with @Calaf and say Bruno. Anise won't like being hit by Fighting-type attacks. Good Luck!

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Not long since I battled the FRLG Elite Four myself.

Agatha posed the stiffest challenge for me. Your team does benefit from a Psychic user and a more powerful Shadow Ball, but even so, the ghost lady has some tricks up her sleeve. By contrast I expect Rosemary and Peppermint will make light work of Bruno, and Clefable's Ice Beam will be a powerful weapon against Lance.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Calaf Bruno is definitely the one I'm most worried about! > <

@nkween I'm so happy to hear that! I never thought I could inspire someone like that. Please root for Clefable to hang in there till the very end! ^^

@icelandic Thank you for sharing your experience! Hopefully she won't cause me too much trouble.

The Elite Four parts will be formatted a little differently than regular gym battles because I do want to put more effort and time into them. This is exactly why I'm splitting them up in parts, so the message doesn't get too long. I hope you guys will like this style!

Part 13 ー Ice, ice baby { VS. Lorelei }

Our first challenger is Lorelei, the Ice type master. Even though most of her team is primary Water type.

She leads off with her Dewgong while I already have my Electabuzz ready to strike. Thunderbolt lands and takes it down all the way to about 2 or 3 HP. I was honestly a little surprised that it didn't KO, but Dewgong has really high Special Defense.

This gives Lorelei a chance to set up the Hail, but I have Snorlax with Thick Fat in the back in case I need to tank some Ice-type hits.

The second Thunderbolt after healing does a little less, but I can finish it off with a Swift to save some PP on my main attacking move.

Cloyster is up next and probably the weakest member of her team since it goes down to any special type move. Electabuzz goes for Thunderbolt and it's bye bye Cloyster.

Slowbro is another bulky one, but if I remember correctly he is more physically defensive than specially defensive. Since Thunderbolt only barely missed the KO on Dewgong earlier, I risk it and Electabuzz pulls through with another 1-Hit KO. Right after, the Hail stops.

Lapras is her main threat and since I've racked up some damage from the Hail, I decide to swap out to Snorlax who can take both its Surf and Ice Beam with ease.

She decides to go the annoying route by confusing me, but Rock Slides still lands and does just under half.

This fight dragged on for quite a bit between me healing off confusion and she using Full Restores, but I eventually swapped over to Return and got a high roll to take out the Lapras.

Her last Pokemon is Jynx which means Arcanine will finally get a chance to shine. You would think a Fire type is the way to go against an Ice type trainer, but with all those Water types it was too risky.

Surprisingly enough, Flamethrower doesn't take it out in one hit but it simply goes for Ice Punch and does just a few points of damage before I finish the fight with Extremespeed.

Overall difficulty: 1/5

The Ice type isn't very good defensively and most of her Pokemon are Water types, adding even more weaknesses to Electric and Grass. Except for the Lapras stalling for a bit, a very easy fight!

Last but not least...A round of applause for the Pokemon who participated in this fight!​

Last edited:

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
As expected, Lorelei didn't stand a chance against you. Congrats on win number one!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SkylarAlpha Thank you very much!

@Calaf Thanks!

Part 13 ー It's a Critical Hit! { VS. Bruno }

The second member of the Elite Four is the Fighting type master Bruno. I have two Normal types on my team and only two moves that are super effective against Fighting types, one of which is on my Normal type, so I am a little nervous about this one.

Let's hope all goes well!

The 'Onix brothers' are up first, coming one after the other. I am not sure what Bruno's strategy was with these two, but both go down in one hit to Poliwrath's Surf. The Onix' aren't the thing that scare me the most though. The real challenge is yet to come.

Hitmonchan is up first so I send out my Arcanine to use Aerial Ace. Despite its frail appearance, it manages to tank one super effective hit and retaliate with Sky Uppercut. Bruno doesn't heal, so the next Aerial Ace does take it out.

The real threat has arrived. I know Machamp is very slow so I dare to swap out to my Clefable to hit it with a Psychic. It does a little less than half to the Machamp, which was less than I expected. Meanwhile Bruno goes for Bulk Up and that's a huge red flag for me. I can not risk staying in here with my Normal type so I swap out to Venusaur instead.

I soon ended up being really grateful for this decision. The Cross Chop connects and lands a critical hit, doing a little over 50% to my defensive (!) Venusaur. This is where I started to sweat a little.

I figured I should just try to hit as hard as possible so after healing, I go for Razor Leaf but the damage isn't enough for a 2-hit KO from this point. The AI picks up on this and sets up another Bulk Up soon after.

I get really close to knocking it out, but Bruno heals up all the way back to full with his Full Restore. This is where I panic, although I did realize that Cross Chop does not have the best accuracy + low PP so worst case scenario, I would just have to stall it out and pray he doesn't get any more critical hits.

This is where the Nuzlocke Gods smiled upon me and Venusaur pulled through big time by landing TWO critical hits in a row with Razor Leaf, taking out the Machamp before it got another chance to attack.

A little anti-climatic way to end this battle, but Hitmonlee went down to one Aerial Ace by Arcanine.

Overall difficulty: 3.5/5

That Machamp is scary once it starts to set up, trust me. Even if you resist Fighting types, it will do big damage especially with the high critical hit ratio. While it is slow, it has Scary Face to slow you down and I believe his Onix also has Rock Tomb to lower opponents' speed? Thankfully it never got a chance to use it against me.

Either way, this concludes the match with Bruno and thankfully we didn't suffer any casualties! Kudos to the three Pokemon that did the most work!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@nkween Thank you! Bruno was my biggest worry so I'm glad that's over!

Part 14 ー Playing the Hax Game { VS. Agatha }

Our third challenger is Agatha, who is supposed to be a Ghost type master but I always thought she specializes in Poison types because that is the shared type amongst the team. I wonder why Gamefreak made it so difficult on themselves by having types such as Ghost and Dragon as Elite Four members when they knew there's only one full evolution line of each??

Gengar no. 1 is up first and I have my Clefable out so I can save Snorlax for the latter part of the battle. Agatha thinks she can be cheeky and starts setting up Double Teams after Psychic repeatedly misses the KO by just a few points of HP. Unfortunately for her, I kept Shock Wave on my moveset which never misses and completely ruined her strategy.

A Flying type? Easy! Electabuzz comes out and zaps it into oblivion. That's one more down.

I knew it would most likely have Intimidate and did not want my attack lowered on Snorlax, so I swapped back to Clefable instead to handle her Arbok with Psychic.

The second Gengar makes it appearance and this one gave me a whole lot more trouble. I thought it would be an easy KO with Snorlax, but Shadow Ball just barely misses the KO. This baffled me because I always thought Gengar was extremely frail.

In the mean time, I also had to deal with Hypnosis landing multiple times in a row while I counter it with the Poke Flute. Its Sludge Bomb also hits surprisingly hard with a critical hit + additional Poison damage doing over 60% of my health.

I decided to heal up my HP but keep the poison on to prevent being put to sleep, but as the damage racks up, I eventually heal the status as well.

After a bit of going back and forth between healing, using the Poke Flute and landing Shadow Balls, it finally misses a Hypnosis which grants me the KO.

After that Gengar from earlier, this Haunter was laughably easy. It went for a Curse first time, taking down half of its HP and leaving it wide open to be knocked out by a Shadow Ball from Snorlax.

Overall difficulty: 2/5

I only really struggled with one of her Gengars, although the first could have been a pain if I did not have some flawless accuracy moves like Shock Wave and Aerial Ace on my Pokemon.

Well done to the two Normal types on my team, who both performed amazingly in this Elite Four match!​

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
That second Gengar was very annoying indeed. Good thing you still had Shockwave on Clefable for the first one, or that could have turned out to be very annoying as well.

Good luck against Lance, though I'm very confident that Clefable's Ice Beam will do the trick! ^^