Scramble [Complete] Kaori's Pokemon Soul Silver Nuzlocke Scramble [FINALE: VS RED]

Who deserves to be the MVP of this challenge?

• Typhlosion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ampharos

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Slowking

• Heracross

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Dragonite

• Ursaring

• Total voters

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
After having a blast with my Fire Red Scramble a couple of months ago, I decided to turn this into a multi-generation series in which I'll try and completely a Scramble in each region. I did Kanto first, so it's only fair that Johto is up next!

However, to up the difficulty just a little, I play all of my Scrambles on Nuzlocke mode. Basically this means that if a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and I can no longer use this. To avoid having nearly my whole team wiped, I allowed myself a couple of reserves which come into play when a Pokemon from the main team dies.

~> I may only the Pokemon which have been given to me. When hunting for said Pokemon, I MUST catch the first of each species I encounter and go with that, regardless of the nature/ability.

Disclaimer: If I need a certain HM to proceed with the game and none of my team members can learn it, I am allowed to catch a HM slave and temporarily put it in the party.

~> All Pokemon must be nicknamed. The naming theme for this run is Greek Mythological figures

~> If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be released or permanently boxed.

~> The Nuzlocke rules do not apply until I've received the Pokedex from Prof. Oak.

~> Battle style must be on SET.

~> The challenge is considered complete after defeating Red on top of Mt. Silver.

~> The challenge is considered a fail if I white out/black out during any part of the game, regardless if there are still reserves left in the PC box.

Main team

• Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion
  • Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff
  • Slowpoke/Slowking
  • Heracross
  • Sudowoodo
  • Eevee/Umbreon
Reserves (I upped the amount of reserves to 5 because we'll be going through 2 regions in this game)

• Mareep/Flaaffy/Ampharos
  • Teddiursa/Ursaring
  • Natu/Xatu
  • Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra
  • Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite

___

Prologue ー Winds of a New Beginning

Booting up a new game immediately makes me feel nostalgic because it has been quite a while since I last played these games, even though they're one of my favorites.

I choose the female player as always, being actually quite fond of her design. She isn't Crystal, but I think the oversized head and the wing-like pigtails make for a really cute look.

You start out in your room as with any other Pokemon game, but unfortunately there is no sneaky Potion waiting in the PC this time, only an email from your friend Ethan.

Speaking of Ethan, he runs into you right as you leave your house together with his Marill. It's a shame they went through the trouble of giving the other protagonist a signature Pokemon to walk alongside them, yet you never get to actually battle them.

Either way, on we go to the lab of Prof. Elm who seems to be eager to give you a first Pokemon.

The three choices are Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile ー My personal favorite is the Chikorita line, but this is a Scramble so I have to work with what was given to me. We get the fire starter, Cyndaquil, suggested by @SAF!

Ares (M) the Cyndaquil has joined the party!

Mild nature

Blaze

18/11/8/12/11/12

Tackle / Leer

As soon as we are given a Pokemon, Prof. Elm sends us out on an errand to pick up the Mystery Egg from Mr. Pokemon's house. Before heading towards route 29, I make a quick stop at home to pick up the PokeGear and even though I already know how to use it, the game gives us the explanation anyway.

On route 29 I make sure to train up little Cyndaquil a little, waiting eagerly for him to learn Ember so I can make use of his higher SpA stat. That lowered defense is actually a little annoying during the early game because STAB normal attacks from Rattata and Sentret hurt quite a bit.

In Cherrygrove City we get a rather slow tour of city by a local old men with a lot of time on his hands, but it is worth it to get the much beloved Running Shoes. Forget about Pokemon following you, the one feature of HGSS that I want to see return is the permanent running shoes. Having to just tap a button to set it to auto run is such a blessing.

Anyway, up to route 30 I go to pick up the egg. This route has Weedle and Kakuna which would be a piece of cake if Cyndaquil had Ember but unfortunately he doesn't yet. I don't want to risk getting poisoned, so I decided to run from all the Weedle and only fight the Kakuna.

After a short trip, picking up the Apricorn case on the way, we finally arrive at Mr. Pokemon's house. He is delighted to give us the egg and have it examined by Prof. Elm. We also receive the Pokedex from Prof. Oak who just happened to be visiting his friend at that time.

As soon as I leave the house, the PokeGear starts to ring and Prof. Elm is on the other side, panicking about a stolen Pokemon. I try and rush back as fast as possible, but we are stopped by a mysterious redheaded individual in Cherrygrove City. He definitely isn't the nicest guy around and challenges us to a battle out of the blue.

ー VS. ???

He only has a Totodile and by this point, I was quite a bit overleveled so I managed to simply Tackle my way to victory. He wasn't happy about his defeat and even less happy about the fact we saw his name after he dropped his trainer card.

Back at the lab, a Police Officer is already there to investigate the case. Our innocence is proven by Ethan and instead the redheaded individual becomes the main suspect. I have to pick a name which I'm really bad at so I just stick with the canon and call him Silver.

After things calm down, I hand the Mystery Egg to prof. Elm who nearly has a heart attack as if he has never seen an egg before. He also praises us for getting a Pokedex from Prof. Oak and suggests the Pokemon Gym challenge.

The first gym is all the way over in Violet City, so I guess that's where I'm headed next?

-- TO BE CONTINUED --
___

Current Team

Ares - Male - Lv. 10 - Mild nature - Blaze

Tackle / Leer / Smokescreen / Ember

Last edited:

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
Good luck with the challenge!
To bad about the Mild nature, you'll definitely have to be careful around physical attackers but at least your special moves will be extra strong.

I didn't know about the scramble challenge until yesterday so this came at the right time for me to learn more about it. The fact that you are doing a nuzlocke version of it makes it even more interesting. Looking forward to the next update. :)

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Zed Thank you very much! I hadn't heard about Scramble challenges before joining these forums either but they're a lot of fun! ^^

___

Part I. The Early Bird catches the...Bellsprout?

We left off last time right as I was about to embark on my journey. However, there's one important thing we are still missing...

Thankfully, Ethan has us covered and as soon as I enter route 29, he teaches us how to catch a Pokemon and gives us five Pokeballs. I was told to go tell mom about my journey as well but I'm a rebel so I didn't.

Now that I have Pokeballs, it might not be a bad idea to start expanding the team. I could catch a wild Hoppip on route 29, but the encounter rate is quite low and after twenty minutes of running into Pidgey, Sentret and Rattata, I ran out of patience and decided to continue. Cyndaquil had learnt Ember by this point so I blazed through the couple of trainers on route 30 and made it to Violet city in no time.

Rather than exploring the city, I headed straight down towards route 32 to add not one, but two new Pokemon to the team. Hoppip was still being stubborn and not showing itself, but it did not take long for me to encounter a Mareep. Ampharos was suggested as a reserve by @Stephoney, but I will be using her as long as there is a free spot in my party.

Hestia (F) the Mareep has joined the party!

Serious nature

Static

22/10/10/12/11/10

Tackle / Growl

After a ridiculously long amount of searching, I finally managed to encounter a Hoppip and prayed to lord Arceus that I wouldn't accidentally KO it with a critical hit. On the plus side, I trained Mareep while searching so she was almost caught up with Cyndaquil by this point.

Demeter (F) the Hoppip has joined the party!

Brave nature

Chlorophyll

21/11/10/10/12/10

Splash / Synthesis

Unfortunately Hoppip can't quite hold her own yet, so I had to do some switch training until she got an attacking move at least. Once equipped with Tackle, I felt confident enough to head towards Sprout Tower. The Bellsprout can't really touch Hoppip with much, so it was a great place to train her up even more.

By the time I reached the top, my whole team was about lv. 11-12 which should be more than plenty to take on the Elder. Silver beat us to it, but he was in for a scolding for not being kind enough to his Pokemon.

ー VS. Elder Li

Cyndaquil made quick work of the first Bellsprout while Hoppip handled the second one. Last but not least, Mareep got to get some time in the spotlight against the Hoothoot.

As a prize for our victory, I received the TM for Flash which most likely won't be used because it's just not a good move. At least it isn't an HM anymore in these games.

With nothing left to do in Violet City, it was finally time to take on the first gym leader. This gym isn't very difficult unless you chose Chikorita as your starter. With an Electric type on your team, it pretty much becomes a joke.

The gym trainers all went down in one hit to Mareep's Thunder Shock but Falkner remains confident, having faith in his father's Pokemon. (Shouldn't he be raising his own instead?)

ー VS. Gym Leader Falkner

The Pidgey went down in one hit as I expected, but the Pidgeotto managed to tank at least one hit. I will admit, they did make this gym a little harder in the remakes by raising the levels and adding Roost to Pidgeotto's moveset.

Sand-attack can get annoying as well, but I got lucky and Mareep paralyzed the Pidgeotto with my first Thunder Shock, allowing me to outspeed the following turn and take him out.

Falkner is S H O O K by his defeat, but at least he is a good sport (unlike some other gym leaders in this region) and gives us the Zephyr Badge and the TM for Roost.

-- TO BE CONTINUED --
___

Ares - Male - Lv. 13 - Mild nature - Blaze

Tackle / Quick Attack / Smokescreen / Ember

Hestia - Female - Lv. 14 - Serious nature - Static

Tackle / Growl / ThunderShock / Thunder Wave

Demeter - Female - Lv. 13 - Brave nature - Chlorophyll

Splash / Synthesis / Tackle / PoisonPowder

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Omg I love Mareep!! It’s adorable aaaaaaaa

I doubt Falkner is that shook considering you had an electric type but to each their own. And are you badmouthing Whitney and Clair!? Gosh

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Mareep seems like a great addition to your team, blasting through the Elder and Falkner like that! Also, it's a good thing you didn't try to get your Hoppip encounter on Route 29, because that would've taken quite long indeed. I think they can only be encountered there in Gen 2. :P

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Moxie Mareep is probably one of the best gen 2 designs because it's just so cute and fluffy. It's a shame it goes bald by the time its fully evolved, but I still like Ampharos as well.

Excuse me. You were badmouthing them on Discord as well the other day so you can't judge me.

@Calaf Mareep is one of those Pokemon that's just solid throughout the entire game, which is probably why so many people use it on their gen 2 teams. I just checked Bulbapedia and I was indeed looking at the wrong game. > < Either way I wanted the higher odds and the higher level because Hoppip is a pain to train early game.

___

Part II. A Wish in a Well

Upon leaving the gym, we get another call from the Professor asking us to go pick up the egg from the local Pokemon Mart and keep it in our party until it hatches. Of course, we all know what is inside already and my heart aches a little knowing that I won't be able to use it. Togekiss is one of my favorite Pokemon ever and even though you can't get one until after the E4, I wouldn't have minded using just a Togetic either. Sad times.

Either way, I proceed to route 32 after picking up the egg. The man who was blocking the path earlier lets us pass and hands me a Miracle Seed which I gave to Hoppip. She does not have any Grass type moves yet, but we'll be picking up the TM for Bullet Seed further down the road.

Ares evolved into Quilava!

Hestia evolved into Flaaffy!

Double evolution! I really like how Cyndaquil evolves two levels earlier than all other starters. Quilava is my favorite out of the entire evolution line as well so I don't mind having to use it for 20+ levels. While not quite as cute as Mareep, Flaaffy is still plenty of adorable as well.

Once I got the Bullet Seed TM, I could take up some of the fishermen on route 32 with Hoppip and get her caught up with the rest of the team as well. She still doesn't hit very hard, but at least manages to hold her own somewhat.

Inside Union Cave I had somewhat of a close call with Hoppip against a Hiker's Onix. Bullet Seed didn't do as much as I expected because it's a physical move and Rock Throw did a solid 70% in just one hit. I didn't want to risk a critical hit after healing up, so I just swapped to Quilava who could take it out with Ember.

After that I was more careful and breezed through the rest of Union Cave, making it to route 33 which is probably one of the most underwhelming routes in all of Johto. It really only serves a purpose because it has Slowpoke Well.

Speaking of which, there seems to be some commotion going on right in front of the well. A man in a black uniform is blocking the entrance, so I move on towards Azalea Town instead.

In Azalea Town, Kurt tells us more about the trouble going on earlier, dashing off towards the well to go save the Slowpoke. Unfortunately he doesn't get very far with his heroism as he falls down and wrecks his back. A+ for effort.

This is probably a fairly urgent situation, but before saving the other Slowpoke, I need to catch one for myself first. @icelandic suggested I should use either Slowbro or Slowking, but I'm probably going to go with the latter since I can get it earlier. (The level cap in Johto is rough so we're not reaching lv. 37 for a long while)

Poseidon (M) the Slowpoke has joined the party!

Sassy nature

Oblivious

26/11/12/10/11/6

Curse / Tackle / Yawn / Growl

I trained my newly acquired Slowpoke a little through switch training against the Team Rocket grunts, not worrying too much about it for now since I felt confident I could beat the upcoming boss battle even without it. In the deepest part of the well, executive Proton was waiting for us, ready to battle.

ー VS. Team Rocket Executive Proton

His Zubat went down easily to Flaaffy's Thunder Shock and although we got poisoned, Quilava managed to take out the Koffing without too much trouble as well.

The Slowpoke are saved and Team Rocket retreats ー For now.

Back in Azalea Town, I realize there's only one thing left to do which is take on the gym leader. However, my team wasn't quite ready yet so I did a couple of hours of grinding on route 33 and Union Cave.

Slowpoke is one of the most annoying Pokemon to train because you can't run away from ANYTHING. I basically had to rely on switch training until I finally got Water Gun. After that it wasn't as much of a drag because I could easily take out the Geodude and Onix in Union Cave.

Once the entire team was lv. 17, I headed inside the gym and took out most of the gym trainers with Quilava and Flaaffy, the former gaining another level before we even reached Bugsy.

ー VS. Gym Leader Bugsy

Bugsy doesn't play around and sends out his Scyther right away as I lead with Quilava. I go for Ember but it doesn't quite 2-hit KO. Meanwhile Bugsy is lowering my defense with Leer and even manages to set up a Focus Energy after healing up once with a Potion. I get the Scyther back into the red and try to outspeed with Quick Attack, but Scyther goes for his own Quick Attack and brings me down all the way to 15 HP from full. If that had been a crit, Quilava would be gone by now.

Once the Scyther goes down, the fight is pretty much over and I can safely send in Slowpoke to handle both the Kakuna and the Metapod with Confusion and Water Gun respectively.

All ended well and I get the Hive Badge, but I definitely dodged a bullet there.

-- TO BE CONTINUED --
___

Current Team

Ares - Male - Lv. 19 - Mild nature - Blaze

Tackle / Quick Attack / Smokescreen / Ember

Hestia - Female - Lv. 17 - Serious nature - Static

Tackle / Growl / ThunderShock / Thunder Wave

Demeter - Female - Lv. 17 - Brave nature - Chlorophyll

Bullet Seed / Synthesis / Tackle / PoisonPowder

Poseidon - Male - Lv. 17 - Sassy nature - Oblivious

Tackle / Yawn / Water Gun / Confusion

Last edited:

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Bugsy's Scyther really is scary, even if you started out with Cyndaquil. Glad you made it out in one piece though!

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
I love vr Slowpoke and glad to see someone giving it some love. It's actually my favourite Mon. Its carried me through many Heartgold Nuzlockes. Loving the detailed write ups, excited for more updates.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SkylarAlpha HGSS's first four gyms are tricky because even though the levels are lower compared to other games, they have really hard hitting Pokemon with good moves. > < Whitney is infamous for this, but I'd say Morty is equally scary if you don't have a Normal type on your team. Shadow Ball hits ridiculously hard when your own team is only in the early 20s or so.

@Zedark Slowpoke is adorable! Especially the HGSS sprite, just look at that lovable cutie! Slowbro's my favorite of the evolutions but I've never used Slowking and want to give it a chance. I'm glad you're enjoying the updates! Thank you for following along! ^^

___

Part III. Throwing a Tantrum!

After successfully defeating Bugsy, I headed West towards Ilex Forest but was stopped by a familiar figure. Silver catches up to us and his attitude is as bad as ever. However, this time he actually challenges you to a battle to prove his superiority.

ー VS. Rival Silver

I knew he would lead with his Gastly, so I sent out Slowpoke to hit him hard with a super effective Confusion. I know I couldn't outspeed, obviously, but there isn't anything a low leveled Gastly can do to OHKO me either. He ends up wasting his only turn on Curse, cutting a good chunk of his own HP which only benefits me.

Zubat comes out next so I swapped to Flaaffy to ThunderShock, scoring another OHKO.

Last up is Croconaw so I could have technically stayed in, but I wanted to give Hoppip a chance to prove herself. It shouldn't have Ice Fang at this point, so I risked it and actually got really lucky with multiple critical hits on Bullet Seed while Silver just kept going for Leer.

Hoppip evolved into Skiploom!

With Silver out of the way, I can finally proceed to Ilex Forest. The first part has you solve a puzzle with Farfetch'd which I always found kind of annoying, but at least I'm older and smarter now so it doesn't take nearly as long. As a reward (if you can call it that), I got the HM for Cut. Quilava is the only member on my team who can learn it, so I have no other choice but to teach it him.

What I am really looking for in this forest is the Headbutt guy, teaching the move to both Flaaffy and Skiploom because it's really solid at 70 BP with a chance to flinch, especially early game. This also gives me a chance to head back to Azalea Town and try to catch my next team member.

Aphrodite (F) the Heracross has joined the party!

Serious nature

Guts

22/18/11/8/13/15

Tackle / Leer / Horn Attack / Endure

A huge thank you to @Typhlosion for suggesting Heracross! I am sure she will be a great help during the upcoming gym battle. At first I was a bit bummed by the fact that the first Heracross I found was female because I had a male name prepared, but this is the preferable gender to take on Whitney's gym so I can't complain too much.

While I was in Azalea town, I decided to also pick up the Charcoal from the wood cutter's house to give to my Quilava.

I smoothly made my way through Ilex forest, helping a Kimono girl along the way, as well as route route 34 where I switch trained Heracross a little. Soon enough I reached Goldenrod City where we can find the third gym already. Even with Heracross on the team, I still wanted to train at least a little because the latter did not have a fighting STAB move at that time.

Once the whole team was at least lv. 19, I headed towards the Radio Tower to complete the little quiz and receive the Radio Card, catching Whitney's attention and bringing her back to the gym.

All of the gym trainers got absolutely demolished by Heracross' Brick Break, so I could only hope the actual gym fight would be just as easy.

ー VS. Gym Leader Whitney

This gym fight was very anti-climatic and almost embarrassingly easy. Clefairy got OHKO'd by Brick Break as I expected, while Miltank took two but did not cause any trouble because I could outspeed. I recall Miltank's speed being relatively high, but I think I got lucky with Heracross' IVs because her speed is surprisingly high. (It does say she likes to run as her characteristic so it is fitting)

Whitney must have been just as shocked by her swift defeat as she burst out crying, refusing to hand over the gym badge until one of her gym trainers urged us to try and talk to her again. Eventually she handed it over, but she definitely has proven herself to be a bit of a sore loser.

Next time I should be able to get the last two remaining members of the main team and possibly take on Morty's gym so please look forward to that!

-- TO BE CONTINUED --
___

Current Team

Ares - Male - Lv. 21 - Mild nature - Blaze

Cut / Quick Attack / Flame Wheel / Ember

Hestia - Female - Lv. 20 - Serious nature - Static

Headbutt / Cotton Spore / ThunderShock / Thunder Wave

Demeter - Female - Lv. 19 - Brave nature - Chlorophyll

Bullet Seed / Synthesis / Headbutt / PoisonPowder

Poseidon - Male - Lv. 19 - Sassy nature - Oblivious

Tackle / Yawn / Water Gun / Confusion

Aphrodite - Female - Lv. 20 - Serious nature - Guts

Aerial Ace / Horn Attack / Brick Break / Rock Tomb

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Okay, people could say Whitney is so dang hard, but you proved otherwise with the right strategy: a female fighter or two who can outspeed her squad and ruin their attraction-related stuffs (Clefairy's Cute Charm and Miltank's Attract). LGBTQ+ isn't a thing in Pokemon world, y'see. :winkazurill:

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Quilava is the cutest thing ever omg it almost makes me not want it to evolve into typhlosion. Man heracross totally destroyed, I almost feel like that warranted crying. #KaoriBulliesGirls

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
#TeamGirlSquad you got this!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SAF I got lucky someone gave me Heracross to use, otherwise I would have tried to maybe Poison stall with Skiploom but I believe her Milktank has a Lum Berry and it would have triggered the Rollout which is very dangerous.

@Moxie Quilava > Typhlosion any day of the week. Unfortunately, I want to win this challenge so I will have to evolve him at one point. She should have just forfeited as soon as she saw that Heracross and accepted her loss. u w u

@BasedJarrod Thank you!!

___

Part IV. Burnt out!

It feels like only yesterday when I started this challenge, but I'm actually already three badges into this adventure. Thankfully, HGSS is a really long game so we're still nowhere near with being done.

After finishing up the last few things in Goldenrod City, such as picking up the SquirtBottle and lending a Bicycle from the bike shop, I head up North towards National Park. The remakes added a fun little side event in the Pokeathlon, but I decided to skip out on that for now. I usually go there for evolutionary stones, but I didn't get any stone evolution Pokemon.

I could get a King's Rock to evolve my Slowpoke, but there's another easier way to get one after beating the 4th gym so I'm not too worried about it.

Instead I continued my way to Ecruteak City, only to find out the road was being blocked by an odd tree which couldn't be cut down. This tree is actually a Sudowoodo, who just so happens to be the next Pokemon I want to add to the team.

Unlike the other Pokemon I've caught so far, this one was actually a little tricky. It can hit relatively hard with Flail after you bring it down low enough to catch. I actually ran out of regular Poke Balls and eventually caught him in a Great Ball.

Atlas (M) the Sudowoodo has joined the party!

Docile nature

Rock Head

61/48/57/22/32/20

Flail / Low Kick / Rock Throw / Mimic

Right after adding Sudowoodo to the team, I picked up the TM for Dig in National Park which will be a great addition to his moveset. I could have given it to Quilava or Heracross as well, but the former is more of a special attacker while the latter already has a solid moveset.

A few trainer battles later, I arrived in Ecruteak City and met up with Bill in the Pokemon Center. He returns back to his home in Goldenrod City and I will gladly followed him there to pick up the final member of the main team. This means I had to box Flaaffy, sadly.

Hades (M) the Eevee has joined the party!

Gentle nature

Run Away

20/12/9/10/14/11

Tackle / Tail Whip / Helping Hand

The only downside to receiving this free Eevee is its low level, being only lv. 5. I gave him the Soothe Bell to raise his happiness as fast as possible, hoping to get an Umbreon before we take on the next gym. I eventually settled on route 37 as a grinding place because the wild Stantler and Pidgeotto give out a decent amount of EXP. I made sure to swap out to either Heracross or Sudwoodo every time a Stantler appeared because they hit incredibly hard with Stomp.

Once I had made considerable progress in grinding, I decided to take a little break and explore Ecruteak City and its surroundings. A Kimono girl is being pestered by a Team Rocket Grunt in one of the buildings, so we quickly defeat him in battle and get the HM for Surf in return. On the route to the East of the city, I also got the TM for Strength from a Hiker. We will be needing both of these very soon to go grab a King's Rock in Slowpoke's Well.

The last place to visit is Burned Tower, where we find the gym leader Morty and a mysterious figure who goes by the name of Eusine. Our rival is also here which means it's time for yet another battle. My whole team except for Eevee was about lv. 23 by this point, so I didn't think I would have any troubles against him.

I was wrong.

ー VS. Rival Silver

His Gastly and Zubat were both no match for Slowpoke's Confusion, going down in one hit. The new addition of Magnemite wasn't much of a problem either, since I could simply go for a fire type attack with Quilava.

The real trouble began against his Croconaw. Although it would be more accurate to say that a mistake happened. Now that I no longer had Flaaffy on the team, I instinctively went out to my grass type, Skiploom. Last time we took down the Croconaw with Bullet Seed, but as soon as I clicked the move, I remembered about Ice Fang.

For your information, Croconaw gets Ice Fang at lv. 21 and your rival's starter is lv. 22 at this point. Part of me was hoping the AI would be stupid and go for Bite or something, but it didn't and down went Skiploom in one hit from full.

RIP Demeter the Skiploom

Lv. 6 ~ Lv. 23

Died to: Ice Fang from Silver's Croconaw in Burned Tower

I swapped out to Heracross after that who finished it with Brick Break. We won the battle, but it didn't feel like a victory. I knew that using the Hoppip line would be tricky, but I was hoping to at least get her up to a Jumpluff. The only positive thing about this is that Flaaffy can go ahead and join the team again.

Once Silver left, I could head downstairs to the lower level of the tower, coming face to face with the three legendary dogs of the Johto region. They ran away pretty quickly, but Suicune lingered on just a little longer. This probably won't be the only time we meet him.

Originally I was going to include the fourth gym in this part, but I think it's already long enough as it is so I will end things here and then start off next time with the gym fight against Morty.

-- TO BE CONTINUED --
___

Current Team

Ares - Male - Lv. 23 - Mild nature - Blaze

Hestia - Female - Lv. 20 - Serious nature - Static

Poseidon - Male - Lv. 23 - Sassy nature - Oblivious

Tackle / Yawn / Surf / Confusion

Aphrodite - Female - Lv. 23 - Serious nature - Guts

Atlas - Male - Lv. 23 - Docile nature - Rock Head

Strength / Low Kick / Rock Throw / Dig

Hades - Male - Lv. 18 - Gentle nature - Run Away

Tackle / Tail Whip / Sand-attack / Growl

Last edited:

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
It always sucks to get 1 hit even with a type weakness. I always feel like the game is cheating when that happens.

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Oh no, Demeter! That really sucks about that Ice Fang :( honestly, I'm never very aware of enemy movesets so I'd probably would have done the same...

Let's hope you can get through the rest of your adventure without losing someone!

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Your team's pretty well balanced, at least people were kind giving you Pokemon for this haha.
Im glad someone suggested Sudowoodo as well, you almost never see them in playthroughs, or competetive either.
Nonetheless best of luck!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Zedark 4x weaknesses are no joke, especially on a Pokemon as frail as Skiploom. > <

@SkylarAlpha It's entirely my own fault because I looked up Croconaw's moveset for the rival battle in front of Ilex Forest so I should have known it would have Ice Fang by now. ^^;;

@RS Everest Thank you! I was very happy with team I got as well! I am applying some Nuzlocke elements to this Scramble, so perhaps that's what pushed people to be a little more forgiving with their Pokemon choices.

___

Part V. Spooky Situations

After suffering our first death last time, I did not want to take any risks in the upcoming gym battle against Morty, so I made sure to train my Pokemon to be of an equal level as his ace. Eevee had been holding the Soothe Bell to raise his happiness this whole time but it actually took me quite a bit of walking around to make sure he evolved at the time I wanted him to.

Eevee evolved into Umbreon!

I don't have much experience using Umbreon in-game, but his natural good SpDef combined with the Gentle nature should make for a really good special wall. His dark typing will be extremely useful in the upcoming gym battle as well. By a lack of any other STAB move, I decided to teach him the TM for Payback, which should work quite well with his slower speed.

Once the whole team was lv. 25, I finally headed inside the gym and took care of all of the gym trainers. This gym has by far one of my least favorite gym puzzles because I always fall of the ledges. By this point, I've just given up and always let myself drop intentionally after the last gym trainer, using the opportunity to go heal up and restore PP before the actual gym battle.

ー VS. Gym Leader Morty

This battle started off extremely smooth. I ended up outspeeding the Gastly for some reason, but even non-boosted Payback was more than enough to take it out. The Gengar came out next but Shadow Ball barely did anything against my Umbreon and Payback was another OHKO.

The real trouble came with the two Haunter. The first one went down to Payback just as the other two Ghost types. The last one, however, landed a Hypnosis and began to stack Curse and Nightmare damage as my Umbreon refused to wake up. In hindsight, I should have used an Awakening right away but I didn't remember the Haunter's moveset.

Eventually I swapped out to Heracross, who also got put to sleep but this time I was smart and used an Awakening right away. This was a good call because Haunter went for a super effective Dream Eater that time. I didn't have a super effective move to use, but a strong Aerial Ace was more than enough to take out the frail Haunter.

Seeing Umbreon's HP just drop from the Curse and Nightmare damage gave me a slight scare, but we earned the Fog Badge without any casualties. You also get the TM for Shadow Ball very early on in this game, which might be good to give to Slowpoke for added coverage.

Speaking of Slowpoke, now that I have access to Surf outside of battle, there's a very important item we can go get. I have to travel all the way back to Slowpoke Well for it, but in the inner parts of the well, there's a guy who gives you a King's Rock.

I don't have any friends to trade with, but I do have multiple DS systems and a copy of Heart Gold so I did it the loner way and simply traded back and forth between myself.

Slowpoke evolved into Slowking!

I'm more of a Slowbro fan myself, so this is my first time using a Slowking. I actually did not know that the shell on its head still has the eyes on the back. It surprised me a bit the first time I sent him out into battle and saw this creepy pair of eyes just glaring at me.

After the small detour, I was back on track to routes 38 and 39 which don't really have any interesting except for a couple of trainers. The remakes did add the first appearance of Baoba and Johto Safari zone, which was a nice addition to the originals. There's also a Miltank farm but I ran out of Oran Berries so I'll have to return there later.

Eventually I arrived in Olivine City, meeting up with Silver who leaves the gym right as we enter the city. I immediately get war flashbacks to our last fight, but thankfully he doesn't challenge me this time. Instead he complains about the absence of the gym leader, but also gives us information on her whereabouts.

Since there's not much else to do in Olivine City except for picking up the Good Rod, I headed straight to the Lighthouse to go find Jasmine. I was actually surprised by the amount of EXP. you get from all the trainers. They do use fully evolved or second stage Pokemon like Noctowl and Golbat by this point, so I didn't have to grind nearly as much as I expected.

At the very top of the Lighthouse we find Jasmine with her sick Ampharos. Since she can't leave his side, we are the ones entrusted with the task of getting medicine from Cianwood City instead. Being the heroine of the story, we obviously have to say yes and do what is right.

This was a bit of a shorter part, but I will leave things off here. The 5th and 6th gyms are ridiculously close to each other, so the next part will be packed full of action!
___

Current Team

Ares - Male - Lv. 28 - Mild nature - Blaze

Hestia - Female - Lv. 28 - Serious nature - Static

Poseidon - Male - Lv. 28 - Sassy nature - Oblivious

Headbutt / Shadow Ball / Surf / Confusion

Aphrodite - Female - Lv. 28 - Serious nature - Guts

Atlas - Male - Lv. 28 - Docile nature - Rock Head

Hades - Male - Lv. 28 - Gentle nature - Run Away

Tackle / Quick Attack / Sand-attack / Payback

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Your encounter with that final Haunter sounds scary, but it's a good thing you pulled through! Also, it's good to read that Gengar gave you so little trouble, as it can be an absolute menace if you don't have the right counter.

Also, on a sidenote, I really like the two eyes on the back of Slowking's crown. It's one of those little details that can make you just love a Pokemon's design!

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Calaf Definitely did not expect a Haunter to be the thing causing me trouble, but at least I didn't lose Umbreon there. Otherwise I would have definitely been a little salty.

It really is, I just never noticed it before. I checked Bulbapedia afterwards and on the new 3D models, the eyes are barely noticeable and could easily be mistaken for just smaller spikes, which is probably why I never knew they were there.

____

Part VI. Doctors Without Borders

We have been granted this very important mission to get some medicine for poor Amphy, so there is no time to waste. Except that I took a couple of days to update because the flu got me.

Navigating through routes 40 and 41 brought back a lot of flashbacks of playing the end game of Pokemon Emerald for my previous challenge. While it is definitely not as bad, I can't say I'll ever be a fan of water routes. They're just much harder to navigate and I forgot to stuck up on some Super Repels so I ran into a lot of Tentacool and Tentacruel. Surprisingly enough, they were quite high leveled and gave out decent EXP so everyone on my team who isn't weak to water got a lot of experience.

Speaking of water, most of the trainers have almost exclusively water types as well so this was not a fun time for Quilava who soon enough began to lag behind in levels. Switch training is a pain when you have battle style put on set, so I didn't really bother with it. I figured I wouldn't really need him for the upcoming gym and could always train up later before Jasmine's gym battle.

The one team member who definitely got plenty of EXP was Flaaffy, earning enough to evolve before even reaching Cianwood City.

Flaaffy evolved into Ampharos!

I almost feel bad for using Ampharos because it's such a generic Pokemon to have on a Johto team. In fact, I don't think I've ever played through HGSS without one on my main team. Usually Scrambles are meant to try out Pokemon that don't get much spotlight otherwise but I guess this one can be an exception.

Despite being more of a special attacker, Thunder Punch absolutely shreds the remaining Swimmers and Fishermen until I set shore at Cianwood City. Our first destination is the herb shop to pick up the Secret Potion for Jasmine. However, while I'm here I might as well explore a little and to my surprise, Suicune has also come to Cianwood City for a little beach vacation.

His quiet time soon enough gets interrupted by us (sorry Suicune) and to make matters worse, his no. 1 stalker Eusine shows up as well. He is intrigued by our connection with Suicune and challenges me to a battle.

ー VS. Mystery Man Eusine

I lead off with Umbreon because I remembered him having a Psychic type on his team. Unfortunately, the AI decided to be smart and swap out to Electrode first turn to take the Payback instead. Electrode is fast and hits hard, but isn't the most bulky so it still did about half. My original plan was to use Sudowoodo with Dig against Electrode, but I actually got a para hax on it through Synchronize so I decided to just stay in and go for a second Payback. Later I found out that this Electrode actually carries Thunder which would have been deadly to the specially frail Sudowoodo.

The electric type (ironically enough) gets fully paralyzed and Umbreon takes him down without taking any damage. Being paralyzed actually benefits me because this guarantees being slower and Payback pretty much rips through the rest of his team. You tried, Eusine.

Returning to Olivine to deliver the medicine would be the kind thing to do here, but we are on our way to be Pokemon Masters so challenging the gym leader gets immediate priority!

Chuck's gym design is one of my favorites, but I feel like it could also be a little confusing to some people as to why he wants water to pour down on his head like that. It's something often shown in Japanese media as a form of training themselves, but the practice has its origins in the Shintō religion where pouring water on oneself is often association with a form of (mental) purification.

The gym trainers all fell fairly quickly to Slowking, so I felt fairly confident about taking on the gym leader despite having two Pokemon weak to fighting types.

ー VS. Gym Leader Chuck

If this was a ROM hack, Primeape would most likely have Thunder Punch for coverage but Gamefreak did not go that far and only put in coverage against Flying types. Chuck did try and be annoying by setting up with Double Team, but there wasn't much he could do to hurt me in return and eventually Primeape went down to a couple of Confusions from Slowking.

I figured I could stay in and take out Poliwrath the same way, but he is more specially defensive and Body Slam actually hurt quite a bit. I knew Ampharos should be able to take at least one or two of those, so I swapped out and countered with a Thunder Punch which did enough to take out the already weakened Poliwrath.

We receive the Storm Badge and the TM for a move I have never used on any of my Pokemon ever. It's really strong, but I just don't like moves that require actual strategy. Let me be lazy.

Upon leaving the gym, I get approached by Chuck's Gym who gives us the HM for Fly for an easy return to Olivine City. That is, if I had a team member who could Fly. I forgot to catch an HM slave for Fly prior to this so I had no choice but to go back the long way over the water.

Eventually I made my way back to the Lighthouse and handed the Jasmine the Secret Potion which heals her Amphy in no time. I had my own Ampharos out in front at the time and when I talked to her afterwards, it said that she was playing with Amphy which melted my heart. This is the cute stuff I live for. More of this please, Gamefreak.

I originally expected to have to do two gyms in one update but things actually got quite lengthy so I will save Jasmine for next time.

-- TO BE CONTINUED --
Current Team

Ares - Male - Lv. 29 - Mild nature - Blaze

Hestia - Female - Lv. 32 - Serious nature - Static

Headbutt / Thunder Punch / ThunderShock / Thunder Wave

Poseidon - Male - Lv. 32 - Sassy nature - Oblivious

Aphrodite - Female - Lv. 31 - Serious nature - Guts

Atlas - Male - Lv. 29 - Docile nature - Rock Head

Hades - Male - Lv. 31 - Gentle nature - Run Away

Tackle / Quick Attack / Sand-attack / Payback

Last edited:

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Part VII. Best Girl

I had mentally prepared myself to have to train against the lower leveled Pokemon North of Olivine before taking on the 6th gym, until the game reminded me that the Safari Zone opens up after you deliver the medicine to Jasmine. While HGSS does not fix all problems with the level curve, it is nice that they at least added this little something to justify the level difference between Chuck and Jasmine.

I crossed the ocean once again, beating up some Tentacool and Tentacruel along the way for EXP before arriving in Cianwood. Rather than gaining access to the actual Safari Zone part right away, there's route 47 and 48 to pass through. There's a few trainers scattered here and there, including some rival battles, but the important part is the grass patch on route 48. The Pokemon here are some of the most high leveled ones you'll encounter for a while and there's fully evolved one such as Fearow which give off a fair amount of EXP.

Speaking of Fearow, I decided to catch one to use as a Fly slave for the rest of the game. It won't be used in battle so this doesn't break the actual Scramble rules.

Along the way, I also picked up a Lagging Tail which usually just fills space in the bag, but I decided to give it to Umbreon. This pretty much guarantees that I will move last and double the power of Payback. In case of emergency, I do have Quick Attack to get the clutch KO.

Once the whole team was up to par with Jasmine's ace, I got Fearow out of the PC and flew back to Olivine. I always forget that the gym trainers don't fight you and it catches me off guard every single time. At least this speeds up things a little.

ー VS. Gym Leader Jasmine

I think I prefer Jasmine is her original white summer dress, but this revamped outfit is still really cute. Unfortunately, the actual fight itself was a little underwhelming.

I lead off with Quilava, who had just learnt Lava Plume so taking out the first Magnemite was a piece of cake. Jasmine switched out into Steelix as expected, so I swapped to Slowking to take a hit and retaliate with Surf. For some reason Slowking outsped despite being a negative speed nature. I know Steelix isn't exactly speedy either, but I figured he'd at least be faster than a SLOWking.

This leaves her with just one Magnemite and I know Slowking is bulky enough to take at least one electric attack before taking it out with Surf.

Jasmine is by far my favorite of all female gym leaders in this generation, but they really should have upgraded her team. This is the 6th gym, so giving her a Magneton, a Skarmory or even a Scizor would have been so much better than two Magnemite.

We get the Mineral Badge as a token of our victory, alongside the TM for Iron Tail. I decided to teach it to Umbreon for some coverage against Rock and Ice types. I don't know if I'll actually use it, but I like to run coverage on my teams.

With the 6th gym badge in our possession, I flew back to Ecruteak City to head East towards Mt. Mortar. Since you could technically do this part before Chuck and Jasmine, there is a sudden drop in the level of both wild Pokemon and trainers, making my team horribly overleveled. (Whoops)

I basically destroyed all of the trainers on the way to Mahogany Town, leading with Quilava because he was very close to hitting that magical lv. 36.

Quilava evolved into Typhlosion!

Those last few levels as a second stage were a little rough, but the team is finally fully evolved! Typhlosion is probably my least favorite of the trio, but I will still try to enjoy my time using him.

As soon as we arrive in Mahogany Town, it becomes apparent that something is going on. Apparently there's some trouble going on up North at the Lake of Rage? Better go investigate ー Next time!

-- TO BE CONTINUED --​
____
Current Team

Ares - Male - Lv. 36 - Mild nature - Blaze

Cut / Swift / Flame Wheel / Lava Plume

Hestia - Female - Lv. 36 - Serious nature - Static

Headbutt / Thunder Punch / Discharge / Thunder Wave

Poseidon - Male - Lv. 36 - Sassy nature - Oblivious

Aphrodite - Female - Lv. 35 - Serious nature - Guts

Atlas - Male - Lv. 35 - Docile nature - Rock Head