Coronavirus (Self-Care) Club

ZxCv

Beginner Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT (Greenwich Mean Time, London & Dublin)
Since we haven't got a thread and with most of the world going on lock down, I thought it could be a good idea for us to share what we'll be doing to take care of ourselves throughout the crisis. Consider this my to do list/daily plan that I hope to be held accountable to:

For me, school has been shut and we've moved online. Assignments are still due, so I'm going to get myself settled in to a routine. First: self care is important. I need to wake up earlyish, have my shower and get dressed properly. If I'm not feeling clean, then I can't do work properly. After lunch I'll be working from lunch until 4pm (I'll be doing my classes in this time period too). Once we've hit 4pm, I'll turn on the news and get the latest news from the government. After that, I'll then have free time to message friends, go online, and do all the fun stuff. Somewhere in there I'll eat and do some home exercising.

What about you guys? Any other tips to look after ourselves?

chidzz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
AEST (GMT+10)
I really admire your motivation to keep working at home.

We have already been transitioned to online classes for a week now and I've only attended two online tutorials (and submitted one assignment) because online learning doesn't motivate me as much as the very interactive learning we have back at uni. All my practicals and placements have been cancelled, and we've received a message from the dean apologiing that we may be delaying graduation at the rate things are going so I'm pretty down atm. Besides uni troubles, I've visibly gained weight and become so lethargic because of how much I've been eating/doing nothing. I'm being put on more shifts at work now that I'm not at uni, so hopefully that will bring my spirits up again. I love my job so it will be good to get my mind on things, although some clients are super pissed about new protocol we've adopted at the clinic according to AVA recommendations.

Would love to see how others are dealing with tbis situation.

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Nothing has changed on my end really. I am still going to work, doing regular duties but the ONLY extra precaution I have taken is to wear latex gloves. Why? I work in transportation and the drivers who operate the vehicles here for some reason keep their phones dirty. I will not be touching those with my bare hands anymore and then washing my hands.

Honestly I am already a clean person and I sanitize my desk anyways. Like I said, my day to day routine is relatively the same even with all this going on.

ZxCv

Beginner Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
I really your motivation to keep working at home.
It's not so much motivation as it is a requirement! Deadlines need to be met, and I need to actually work to meet them.

I feel you on the mental side. I've had to stop Karate and going out to see my friends which will be a downer. It's why I'm trying to emphasis hygiene and self care - so I don't fall down that slippery slope. We can do it!

Nothing has changed on my end really. I am still going to work, doing regular duties but the ONLY extra precaution I have taken is to wear latex gloves
Wow! I'm surprised, are there no lock downs? No driving to see your family etc, or are you staying well away from people on your own volition as to not spread it?

gylfie

hmm definitely go for a walk at least once a day! we all need fresh air and a little exercise, and going outdoors is perfectly fine; just be sure to keep some distance if there are other people around.

working from home has certainly been weird but my sibling is quite dedicated to keeping the 9-5 hour workday so i guess I've been a little more dedicated to my schoolwork because of it. got an assignment submitted a month early because i didn't wanna have to deal with it later and have been trying to get as much as i can done during our week of cancelled classes. gotta remember to take breaks and relax without guilting myself for not working. we're stressed as it is. breaks are just as important as work.

juiccbox

local buffoon
AKA
Juice/Juice man
Schools been out, so I’ve taken this time to relax and binge anime. However I’m making sure I’m washing my hands a lot, drinking plenty of water, and checking up on friends every once in a while. Quarantining isn’t really hard for me at all considering I’m a huge introvert and one summer ago managed to not leave the house an entire month. Fortunately I don’t live in a densely populated area, so it is lower risk (only about 20 cases in my state) but it’s still good to take precaution.
Hope everyone else adapts well and stays safe!

Gokudera

Silver King
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I work in a hospital on night shift, so my work schedule hasn't changed much.
I dont have any direct patient care (I sit in a room watching heart monitors, chart on their rhythms, and call the nurses if bad things happen).
I'm also rather introverted when I'm not with my close friends, so I haven't really changed my schedule much lol.

monandd

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC-4:00
Ugh this has hit me hard on some aspects of my life, but others have stayed the same.

Here in the country I live, there's a nationwide "curfew" of sorts, enforced by local authorities everywhere. No interstate movement is allowed, and even intracity movement is limited. I have not gone out of my house since the 13th.

My work has not stopped because I work remotely for an overseas company, so "nothing" has changed in that end. College has suspended most activities (I'm part of the "board of directors" as a student representative, and we've had endless discussions on what to do for the past 10 days). We were actually almost finishing a term, and it's not clear we're going to do it. And well, I'm basically surviving because on the 12th I used part of my savings to buy enough food and supplies for a month. Besides that, I've been buying certain things through delivery services.

But the most affected thing has been my motivation :( I can't seem to work on stuff, I'm really slow on my work assignments and even finishing my coursework for college seems extremely rough.

Iunno. :( I'm staying home, staying safe and trying to get through this.

ZxCv

Beginner Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Ugh this has hit me hard on some aspects of my life, but others have stayed the same.

Here in the country I live, there's a nationwide "curfew" of sorts, enforced by local authorities everywhere. No interstate movement is allowed, and even intracity movement is limited. I have not gone out of my house since the 13th.

My work has not stopped because I work remotely for an overseas company, so "nothing" has changed in that end. College has suspended most activities (I'm part of the "board of directors" as a student representative, and we've had endless discussions on what to do for the past 10 days). We were actually almost finishing a term, and it's not clear we're going to do it. And well, I'm basically surviving because on the 12th I used part of my savings to buy enough food and supplies for a month. Besides that, I've been buying certain things through delivery services.

But the most affected thing has been my motivation :( I can't seem to work on stuff, I'm really slow on my work assignments and even finishing my coursework for college seems extremely rough.

Iunno. :( I'm staying home, staying safe and trying to get through this.
Oof that sounds rough. I've found motivation for loads of people has been rock bottom, although I'm keeping positive and making the most of my ability to go outside for exercise once per day. It's hard to get motivated to do work when you're working about work, rent, food and the safety of others. And in many cases people patronise you to work hard now that you have some peace and quiet at home which is extremely assuming.

gylfie

For those who are having trouble working at home, I recommend getting a few friends together on discord and having a call while you work! You can hold each other accountable and chat and listen to music with them. My friends and I did it a lot last year during our 4-week project that required a ton of at home work and we’ve started it up again this year while we’re trying to finish the semester.

i ventured out to get a week’s worth of groceries today. they put up barriers between the cashiers and customers and had a limit of people allowed in the store at a time. Honestly it’s the little things like this that I find more unsettling than people not being allowed to go to school or work.

monandd

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
For those who are having trouble working at home, I recommend getting a few friends together on discord and having a call while you work! You can hold each other accountable and chat and listen to music with them. My friends and I did it a lot last year during our 4-week project that required a ton of at home work and we’ve started it up again this year while we’re trying to finish the semester.
My company has been trying to do something like this. They've booted up a Discord server as a "virtual office" so we can "chit-chat" or have meetings in each team's "office" (channels, voice channels), and sometimes it's nice to be there just to be listening to other people's keyboards. But other times, I'd want a break from there. Doing that but with friends sounds nice!

Bloodyskullz

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Nothing has changed on my end really. I am still going to work, doing regular duties but the ONLY extra precaution I have taken is to wear latex gloves
Wow! I'm surprised, are there no lock downs? No driving to see your family etc, or are you staying well away from people on your own volition as to not spread it?
Oh no we are on lockdown but right now in Canada, ontario specifically has declared certain businesses to be open which are considered essential. I work for a supply chain company which is mandatory to stay open as we deliver goods. It is the only reason why I am working. Now that I look at my previous post I should rephrase, I only wear latex gloves depending on the scenario. If I am around other employees, I continue to operate normally. It's only when I have to deal with specific equipment that is rather dusty or dirty that I will wear those gloves.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Lots of Animal Crossing for me, hahah. That and working from home...

monandd

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Lots of Animal Crossing for me, hahah. That and working from home...
That's right! I don't have the game, but most of my Twitter feed is friends, mutuals & other people uploading pics and videos of their islands and them playing. It's actually cute! I spend some time and distract myself checking out their posts.

---

Today I went out! Took all the safety measures I could, but I made sure I stocked up on enough food & supplies for at least 3-4 weeks, just in case. And soda and sweets, too, hehe.

One thing that makes all of this more bearable is that I started an arrangement with a flatmate of mine, in which I help with his monthly rent and in return he makes lunch for me :D So I mostly don't have to worry about cooking (he takes care of everything), and since I now have enough food for some time, that takes one worry out of my mind. For now, at least.