• Yes, I loved it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah it was good enough

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It was okay, but not really

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, I hated it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Had some things I liked and some I didn't. Call it a wash.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Rex

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
SW-5093-8160-1932
IGN
Ricky
What did y'all think of the Crown Tundra? Did you love it or hate it? Personally, I found the area to be kind of lifeless and dull. I appreciate them making more Pokémon available (even if I think they should've been from the start). On the whole, I'm kind of let down. I don't want to sway your opinion though, let me know your thoughts!

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Neutral
- Characters: Not bad, not good. Was not particularly interested in any character. Wound up being forgettable. Enjoyed Clara in Isle of Armor more.
- Plot: Felt little satisfaction in figuring out what to do. (Is not much of a puzzle person.) Got stuck on "Investigate the Statue". Spent ages searching everywhere else. Discovered it eventually. Appreciated the adventure hints from Peony outside of that.
- Footprint hunting: Better than Diglett hunting. Required some attention to spot. Struggled more in grassland, however. (Found 10+ without even seeing them.) Hardly considered it fun, even with improvements.
- Returning Pokemon: Shrugs. Never cared much for legendaries due to never using them. Same for the popular psuedo-legendaries. Reintroduced very few others.

Negative
- Star Tournament: Cannot easily be the proper level for this. Probably winds up being a massacre one way or another.
- Legendary hunting: Nuzzle :toxtricitylowkey:. False Swipe :scizor:. Send in the punching bag :clefable:. Chuck 10-20 balls :ultraball::duskball:. Would not describe this as a legendary battle.

Positive
- Dynamax Adventures: Singlehandedly salvaged this region.

Felt mixed initially. Trained up tons of Pokemon. Wanted to use them. Forces rental Pokemon onto you.

Fixed a lot of complaints about Max Raids, though. Removed shields. Allowed utility like Life Dew and screens to have a purpose. Hoped for this style for all Max Raids. (Note: Did not fix spread moves being overpowered, however.)

Played it more. Realized the balance between rentals. Cannot pick the Pokemon by species. Must evaluate them on type, ability, and moves.

Example: Signed up for (Complete Form) Zygarde :zygardecomplete:. Saw Beartic :beartic:. Selected them instantly. Looked closer: Slush Rush. -Attack. Knew Body Press, Blizzard, Frost Breath, and Brine. Relied on base 70 Special Attack, largely.

Needed any Ice-type. Had to keep them. Chose Wise Glasses from a Backpacker. Carried the battle versus Zygarde :zygardecomplete:, thanks to getting the Dynamax and Slush Rush. Actually succeeded with this thing after several failures.

What about the attempt before that? Chose Mr. Mime :mrmime: with Reflect, Light Screen, Helping Hand, and Psychic. Barely attacked. Felt valuable nonetheless. Had to make a hard choice between Leftovers and Eviolite too. (Picked the former.)

Experienced other nice moments, such as Serene Grace Dunsparce :dunsparce: (two Ice Beam freezes that run) and Analytic Magneton :magneton: (with Quick Claw for Light Screen versus Surf-spamming Palkia :palkia:. Activated at just the right moment to finish Palkia :palkia:, possibly one move before losing). Cannot forget the clutch full heal + Light Screen cheer from teammates (murdered by Kyogre's :kyogre: Origin Pulse) to save the run either.

Might have been the most fun in Sword/Shield so far (outside challenge runs).

Overall
Slightly positive, solely due to Dynamax Adventures. Unexciting otherwise.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
I'm really not enjoying it at all. I really hate legendaries, so having an expansion that is almost entirely based on legendaries? Yeah, I'm almost treading carefully so I am not forced to catch something I don't want to.

I mean, I haven't even got Type:Null yet...

OceanMaster

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
Switch FC
SW-4940-6731-2903
IGN
Isiac
I'm really not enjoying it at all. I really hate legendaries, so having an expansion that is almost entirely based on legendaries? Yeah, I'm almost treading carefully so I am not forced to catch something I don't want to.

Don't you get Type:Null in Wyndon?

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
Personally I love solving puzzles for the Regis again, they're one of my favorite groups of legendaries simply because they tend to bring riddle-solving with them and I live for that. Dynamax adventures were pleasantly surprising for how fun they were, though I do feel like having ability patches be 200 pieces of ore when you don't earn a whole lot per successful adventure is just plain dumb.
For me this gives me a bit more hope for how GF will handle Pokemon going forward as the dlc addressed most of my major issues with the games, though I know mileage will vary heavily on this point.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Noticed another dimension to Dynamax Adventures: Hidden Ability hunting. Saw an Unburden Sceptile :sceptile: there. Realized the potential. Competes with the legendary, admittedly (given a successful run and uncaught legendary).

Agrees on ability patches costing too much. Earned 12 ore in solo Endless Mode. (Beat one boss. Lost against a Gurdurr :gurdurr: before the second boss. Awarded 6 for investigating the den and 6 for playing Endless.)

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time

Yeah, but you only get one. What if Special Attacking Silvally becomes meta, and I need one with 0 Attack, and I've got a physical one with max? If I don't need it yet, then I won't get it.

I've seen a few teams abuse the fact it gets Grass Pledge, and others with a Swords Dance set. Both demand different IVs to be efficient.

As it is I'm regretting soft resetting for Calyrex, when's Spectrier is going to be super relevant in the upcoming meta, and I got one with the wrong IVs :S.

OceanMaster

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
Switch FC
SW-4940-6731-2903
IGN
Isiac

Yeah, but you only get one. What if Special Attacking Silvally becomes meta, and I need one with 0 Attack, and I've got a physical one with max? If I don't need it yet, then I won't get it.
I see your concern, but I mean I think they made it one per play through either way didn’t they?

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
I haven't had the chance to play the Crown Tundra yet because both my copies are in the midst of challenge runs. But I've heard people are liking it and I'll have to give it a proper run after I'm done one of them!

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
@OceanMaster my friend has found a way to get more: he's found a speed run guide that completes the game in about 7 hours. Then you can catch all the juicy legendaries that you want :D.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I am extremely impressed with the special Beartic you can get in the DMax Adventure.
It got a freeze on the Luxray AND the Uxie.
I will never again question special Beartic lol.