Detective Pikachu (The Movie)

~Kilza~

The Rising Sun
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)

As you might have heard, they are creating a movie based off of the Detective Pikachu game. However, this movie is the first one in the Pokemon franchise that will be live-action rather than animated. Up above is the first trailer they have released for it.

So, what are your thoughts on it? Do you like it? Hate it? Do you think you'll watch it or not? And, maybe most importantly, do you think we'll see more live-action Pokemon movies after the release of this one?

SarasaKat

bibb pretty
Cabin 4 Counselor
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Kat
Time Zone
EST
I may think the pokemon themselves are in uncanny valley but I'm absolutely watching it. As someone who finds the mons fascinating, played Detective Pikachu, and is seeing the million different ways the movie is gonna be different, I am Curious.

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
That Mr. Mime is going to give me nightmares...

What happened to Pikachu's voice? ;w; I'm still gonna watch it but I'm not sure I'm gonna like it, I'm so used to the cute and fun aspects of Pokemon shows.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I'm not sure how I feel if I am to be completely honest. Looks like a good story but my word are those CGI pokes terrifying.

Sheep

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
I'm actually somewhat excited, though those realistic Pokémon are a lot creepier than I thought they'd be. Pikachu is a little bit too fluffy....almost looks like a toy hahaha 33: but hey i do plan to watch it still!!

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Volkner
Time Zone
UTC +10
I really like it. I'm hyped for it! It's an innocent enough storyline that most people will be able to understand the concept, a fan of Pokemon or not. I'm pleased about the fact Pokemon is becoming mainstream!

Reactions: SAF

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
Mixed feelings about realistic Pokemon but otherwise excited nonetheless! Although... can they really make Mr. Mime a bit less terrifying? :c

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
Honestly, I thought this movie was going to be super lame and didn't want to watch it at all. That was until I saw this trailer. It seems very very interesting and I can't wait to go see this in cinemas. Also, Ryan Reynolds voicing Pikachu is awesome to see. I hope this does well and we have a whole variety of live-action Pokémon movies spawning from the success of this one.

DozerZigashi

Junior Trainer
I had really low expectations for the live-action pokemon look. I think that some of the models they have for this though look pretty on-point. I like the Pikachu a lot actually, it feels real with proper anatomy. Idk, maybe my expectations were so low that it didn't take much to surpass them. Either way, I'm going to watch it because this looks like it might be a fun movie. I don't think it'll be GOOD mind you, but fun to watch. That's all I want from this.

Resolute

sterner stuff
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
I'd be down to go see it. Ryan Reynolds as Detective Pikachu is something that I think could be fun to see. Although the live-action look is a bit different, I think that they might be able to make it work. The way they modeled out Charizard looks pretty awesome! :)

~Kilza~

The Rising Sun
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
So I hadn't actually posted my thoughts about this. Honestly, before seeing the trailer I don't think I would've bothered to watch this. But the trailer has me intrigued. I actually do want to watch it now, since this definitely seems like it'll be more interesting than I first thought it would be.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I'm actually kinda excited. It looks so interesting and unique compared to the movies released. And the more realistic style fits the story from what I can tell. I'm definitely going!

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i had a huge smile on my face watching the trailer, i'm pleasantly surprised how everything came out looking a lot better than i would have expected out of live action pokemon. I don't find anything that creepy in motion, tho some of the screenshots floating around are horrific, cough.

i do wanna see it. even if it's bad (v likely), it's so interesting they decided to experiment with live action pokemon, and i rly wanna see more of ryan reynolds voicing pikachu ok.

SetsunaFSeiei

You've been naughty...
AKA
Sets
I honestly feel like they could have dropped the Detective part and just made it about a guy talking to his Pikachu, and it would probably be a good 1 hour movie. I'm wondering if there'll be too much to take in in the end.

Ape711

not infected by dragon virus
AKA
Andrew, Ape, Aep
Time Zone
Central Standard Time
Switch FC
SW-4903-4757-9682
IGN
Andrew
live action zard goat
imma watch it yeah
same old same old but ryan renolyds voicing pika will be p cool

Rubad Ubdub

Pokemon GO delete this post
AKA
nus3bank, bncrock, BHDude
Time Zone
US Mountain Time
I don't know if I could have posted this in Pokemon General but I played it safe. Also, sorry if this was already discussed, but...
owo.PNG

The official Detective Pikachu twitter follows Danny DeVito. It could just be for the meme, but it could also mean Daddy DeVito makes a cameo. There's still hope, damnit.

[Mod edit: Hey dude! I merged your post with this pre-existing thread about the movie. In the future, please be sure to consider if your topic has sufficient discussion value to go in its own thread, or if there's already a thread where your idea would fit. Thanks!]

Last edited by a moderator:

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
I honestly feel like they could have dropped the Detective part and just made it about a guy talking to his Pikachu, and it would probably be a good 1 hour movie. I'm wondering if there'll be too much to take in in the end.
this is a good point, i keep forgetting it's actually Detective Pikachu and it'll prob try too hard to stick to that. Watching the trailer it felt like it could have been its own thing.

PerfectWorld

Fiery Passion
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Anne
3DS FC
3970-0367-7253
IGN
Anne
It looks like it could be good. I'm not too jazzed about the realistic looking Pokemon, but I can deal if the story is good enough. I do love Ryan Reynolds as the voice of Detective Pikachu, even though Danny DeVito would've been cool too.

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
CST
So now that the movie is out for everyone and some of you have watched it, how is the movie? Originally I wasn't planning on watching but apparently the reviews are telling me that it's...not that bad and it might be worth it to go see.