Discussing Apple

Vigilance

The Devil Himself
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
So on one hand you have Apple which is a conglomerate mammoth. I believe aside from releasing the latest iPhones, they put out a new Mini Mac, new Macbook Air, and a new iPad Pro.

What are your thoughts on them? Do you like their products? Are they too dang expensive? And if you don't like them, why and what can they do to earn your business?

Slix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I love Apple. I've been a Mac user since I was a baby, so I naturally grew up with the products and know their ecosystem really well. I will agree that some of their decisions are not the greatest (ahem, larger phone sizes and expensive new Mac mini...), but overall I really like what they do.

As a sight aside, I've got over 30 computers, mostly old Macs, that I play with and collect. :P

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
I like some of Apple's products, but I think most of it is overpriced and pretty average. It's one of those things people buy for the brand. I use an iPhone 7 plus because I got it at a good price and it does enough for me. But I think all these recent phones which are coming out are incredibly overpriced and unnecessary. I really don't like Macs, PCs are much better imo.

I love, LOVE the iPad Pro (the old one not the new one) and the Apple pencil though. It's an incredible drawing tablet, and since a full version of Photoshop is coming to the iPad, it's going to be the ultimate art tool. The airpods are pretty nice as well.

Last edited:

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
Apparently the newer Macbook got a lot of criticism for its specs being pretty medicore in late 2018, therefore not feeling like much of a refresh.

The newer iPad got a lot of crap for not having a headphone jack, which is a fair criticism to make in all honesty when you consider that, out of every tech gadget, people would use headphones with their tablets the most outside of their phones, so the omission of one here by Apple is admittedly rather odd, but whatever.

That all said, I'm strongly neutral in regards to their products. I've rarely ever really gotten a chance to use them all that much, really. I disagree with their business decisions, but I don't hate their products because I haven't had as much exposure to them. I do think the rest of the Android world should stop following Apple's lead though (case in point: the whole notch scenario).

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I used to have an iphone but since then I switched over to android because it was much, much cheaper. I did like apple okay, but I don't really buy their products because they are expensive.

Vigilance

The Devil Himself
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Yeah it's crummy expensive but I kinda like their feel. I don't own a mac/macbook though and instead use windows but I've used apple laptops/macs at my college and I like it but it feels weird adjusting to it. I might go out and buy a cheap used macbook though sometime.

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
I'm very much a fan of Apple because of the way they make everything look. From their products to their packaging, you can tell a lot of time has been spent to make unboxing and using their products is an experience. That being said, I'm not a fan of much else. I hate the nature of their products being very locked down, they're way too expensive for my liking and their repairs (along with the other big names) are very expensive if you want to keep your warranty.

Personally, I'm very savvy when it comes to phones and computers, so I like having an Android (Samsung Note8) and building my own PCs (running Windows), as well as dabbling in Linux based server hosting.

Vigilance

The Devil Himself
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I agree yeah they're really really smart about branding but super restrictive and try to basically make a tier of users who use their brand.

-Rosen

Bored
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Cleb
I find Apple better for phones in a sense that the tech is much simpler for the public. Android being open source makes things incredibly complicated for people and gives it features people might never even know exist. At least with iPhones that exists to a much lesser extent, so you pretty much know exactly what you're getting.

In terms of computers, I will always be pro-Windows, though I will admit that Macs are 100% better for designers, based on the experiences of several of my friends in uni (I talk to a lot of Graphic Design majors). Mac has Windows beat in the design realm and it's not even close.

Matthew

Tech Enthusiast
Time Zone
Central
I have mixed feelings about Apple. They produce AMAZING hardware and software, but they're really anti-consumer in a few ways (not including a fast charger or a dongle in the box).

I tried an iPhone XS Max for a week, and it was the first time I actually liked an iPhone, but it wore off and I missed my Galaxy S8 Plus. There's so much more I can do on Android than iOS, I just wish Android has iOS's level of polish.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Their phones are okay (my iPhone 7 does the job), but I can’t wrap my head around macs. The rectangular screen and weird mouses always turned me away when I had to use them at school.

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I use an iPhone 7. I really want the XR, but idk if I'll get it anytime soon. I heard the battery on newer phones sucks tho, so I'm not sure. Other than that, I'd love to get a Mac. I played around on one at an Apple Store and it was really nice.

Apple products are really simple to use which is why I like them so much. I think it's a lot easier to understand how to use everything compared to Android or Samsung.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
Apple products in general are expensive and gimmicky. I love to make fun of the Apple Watch in particular for being over the top. The iPad was something I thought was unnecessary for the longest time until I saw support for stuff like Procreate. Probably won’t get it in a long time, but it’s cool to see artistic use come out of it.

That being said, I own a Mac and an iPhone 7. They run quite smoothly, though I still have a few personal gripes with each machine. I haven’t figured out every touchpad or keyboard shortcut yet on the Mac, so it gets a little aggravating when I see someone carry out a complicated shortcut that I just don’t remember. As for the iPhone 7, I dislike how you can’t charge your phone while having headphones in.

Vigilance

The Devil Himself
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I find Apple better for phones in a sense that the tech is much simpler for the public. Android being open source makes things incredibly complicated for people and gives it features people might never even know exist. At least with iPhones that exists to a much lesser extent, so you pretty much know exactly what you're getting.

In terms of computers, I will always be pro-Windows, though I will admit that Macs are 100% better for designers, based on the experiences of several of my friends in uni (I talk to a lot of Graphic Design majors). Mac has Windows beat in the design realm and it's not even close.
Since I'm super interested in Graphic Design and do it using a Windows laptop, would you expound on what you meant by mac products being better for design.

Trance

resident marriland brony
AKA
Mike, PokeEpic
Time Zone
GMT+8
i am planning on selling my samsung S9 for either a 7/8 plus or a XR. just been really disappointed with my samsung. i feel that apple makes much more solid products and OS experience (like my 2013 ipad for instance, still fast), but my 2018 samsung is just a bad phone, imo, apple makes much more solid phones and products.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
We seem kinda split down the middle here, which is interesting. I'm one of the people who Apple drives mad with basically everything that they do (pricing, the nonsense with the headphone jack, killing Flash, the planned obsolescence thing—not that other manufacturers don't do it too) and I probably won't be owning any of their devices in the foreseeable future.

I actually really want them to start taking the personal computing market seriously again because someone besides the hardcore Linux people need to start putting pressure on Microsoft, but something tells me that won't be happening any time soon.

Also, I use iTunes whenever there's no other legal ways to get music (most game OSTs) but that feels more like them twisting my arm than earning my business.

-Rosen

Bored
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Cleb
Since I'm super interested in Graphic Design and do it using a Windows laptop, would you expound on what you meant by mac products being better for design.
Most designed programs are designed around a Mac before they're designed around Windows, though the bigger component is the way Macs compute data as compared to Windows. I don't know the specifics of it, but generally Apple's CPUs have much better multitasking capabilities, allowing you to use multiple design programs at once, which can be completely necessary when getting into more advanced design. Windows processors don't do nearly the same thing, and are limited by the core count in the current top-end CPUs (Intel's new i9-9900K may alleviate this issue, but I don't believe any of AMD's Ryzen or ThreadRipper CPUs do this just yet).

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I don't care too much for Apple. To me they're just a brand that I think people tend to overhype, which results in them being able to overprice their products at a ridonkulous degree and have people still buy them. I don't doubt that their products are fine, but they're not for me.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
well i really love apple. their interfaces and designs are beautiful and i love how simple and cute they are to use. but i don't like bringing myself to pay for their products... i've bought a macbook and an iphone brand new and it was very, uh, ouch.

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
the nonsense with the headphone jack, killing Flash
Honestly, I'm a fan of these 2 points. The headphone jack thing, while yes very frustrating and is really forcing people to use bluetooth headphones or an adapter to use as a headphone jack, is actually a very neat way for people to start getting used to more wireless technologies and showcase some cool things. They definitely could've done this more elegantly though.

Phasing out flash is needed in our day and age as well. Flash is way too old and presents WAY too many security risks for everyone, and with the rise of HTML5 and CSS3 making it easier to animate things without the use of flash or javascript, there's really no need for Flash. Also, why should the whole world be using a standard which is no longer developed on, or supported, by it's creators?!