Do you find it difficult to remain in the holiday spirit?

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So you've probably heard some people say that at older ages, Christmas won't feel like that as much anymore. That may be partially because you get busier, and you don't find yourself engaged in it as you may have been as a kid. I mean, this is a Pokemon forum so we're gonna have our share of younger people, but some of here us are older, especially me, who will be 28 in four months. And every year, I always find myself saying "I'm gonna try to get more into the Christmas spirit" and yet I just don't manage to. I mean, there are things like Christmas movies on TV, and lots of other things in the vein.

Even so, I have since been on two Christmas adventures this year, the first being going to New York, where I saw lots of the same Christmas decorations in Times Square, along with shopping (my fourth time in the 2010s doing so, three others being with college) and this year even seeing a Broadway show to boot. The second was taking the drive out to Hersheypark to explore their Christmas Candylane. But I haven't watched a lot in terms of Christmas media, and that's what I'm referring to up above. It is nice hearing Christmas music and seeing lights, though, but as a whole I wish I was more engaged in it than I am.

What are your thoughts on all this? If you're in the older crowd like me, do you struggle to get into the Christmas vibe? What do you do to keep yourself festive? Any popular Christmas activities, media, etcetera? Discuss!

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I get into Christmas right away, especially because of how important the holiday is to me. My childhood was a little dark and lonely, and Christmas was the bright light each year when fighting stopped and love was shown. I felt so happy, and it's still influencing my life now. Christmas opens up so many chances to be a good person, and I love seeing those chances taken! I try to encourage charity spending or spending some time on yourself if you need it. I try to make random strangers happy with simple things like a smile. I listen to Christmas music and spend hours trying to make the perfect gifts for my family. I love Christmas and try to spread it wherever I can!

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
I find that when all your siblings have reached the age where the truth has to be revealed, that Christmas can lose a bit of its magic. Sure, the cartoons and specials remain the same old stuff. And the power of pure nostalgia can't be overlooked entirely. Decorations always look nice, and don't get me started on the whole walk of lights thing that most places do. For me the joy comes through in what stays the same, but every so often I look back on how much I enjoyed seeing my siblings surprised about the gifts they got from Santa. The joy and surprise on their faces used to make me smile and appreciate the season more after the truth had been revealed to me.

Now admittedly that might be because I'm the oldest, but now we do a family wide Secret Santa thing. Which actually keeps the joy I felt knowing (and more often than not picking out) what my siblings would get for Christmas. Although to a lesser extent as I'm now getting a gift for one specific sibling instead of all seven. Sure, I don't like the holiday as much as I used to but there's still a few things about it that bring a smile to my face every year.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I often don’t feel any spirit until Christmas Day. That’s because it rarely snows in December where I live and I usually don’t get a tree until the last minute.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
The closer it gets to Christmas, the more spirit I get. Also work kind of forces me to get into the spirit.

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
i feel the christmas spirit even if it is december 1st, i'm quite fond of christmas lol

Lauren

D:
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I have no Christmas spirit at all to be honest and I haven't done for quite a long time. I feel pretty detached from it now... It's just another day to me. :unsureazurill:

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i went thru a period the past few years where i didn't feel much spirit at all and felt like i kinda had to force it, but this year i've felt FULL of chrimmas spirit it's a lot more fun :J started feeling it from the morning of Dec 1st and I'm sad it'll soon be over

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Nah, I love Christmas. Christmas music makes me smile and I always have a lot of fun buying my family presents. I start getting excited like the day after Thanksgiving lol.

Also SUPER hype because I really wanted to go to Zoo Lights last year and this year I finally get to go for the first time and bring my favorite person with me. I haven’t gone looking at Christmas lights in years and I always hear great things about Zoo Lights.

Last edited:

Ice_Dragon

The Fairy Dragon
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
GMT +8
I still like Christmas a lot and it's still one of my favorite holidays. Especially the music and the food.

With that said, it's true that it doesn't feel that special now that I'm older. But that's part and parcel of growing up. :P

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Was never raised to have any christmas spirit whatsover, so in that sense yeah? Christmas is no different from any other normal day for me.

Solar

Loog Noog Supreme
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I'm one of the most festive people you'll ever meet but still, keeping up holiday cheer is difficult. I think it's just a depression thing. Happy things, no matter how powerful, can be ruined by your own frame of mind. I do my best every year to push it away, and it usually works. This year in particular has been very hard but I'm still here.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
I know I had a lot of trouble keeping it up back in high school. I'd get sick of the constant Christmas music and how early stores began to deck it out. However, I've come to be more in the spirit in college strangely because I'm no longer bombarded with holiday things everywhere. It also helps that I'm now able to make and buy gifts for friends and family. One of the highlights of last year was sparing little expense to buy ALL the chocolates from Belgium and souvenirs from London, sending packages and meeting up with friends to make them happy.

I also love the multitude of Secret Santa events available both irl and online. Again, seeing people's faces light up when they receive their gift makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

gylfie

you shouldn't have listened
Being away at college and having to work on my final projects up until last Monday really made it difficult to feel festive. I spent most of my time in my apartment doing schoolwork, and the only Christmas decorations we have here are a single string of lights and two candy canes I got from school. Last year was even worse because my winter break was pushed to start very close to Christmas due to a faculty strike, and was cut short as well.

I do feel slightly more festive when I put on Christmas carols while I’m working, or when I get to see all the Christmas lights while walking home.
My favourite things that get me in the spirit of things are my broken pair of reindeer antlers that I’ve had for probably a decade, and sitting at home in the dark by our Christmas tree with all its lights, late at night on Christmas Eve. A radio special plays at that time every year and those specific songs and everything else combined makes me feel really at peace.

Scherzo

too lazy to change my title
AKA
Colin
Time Zone
CST
It really depends on the year for me. This year has been so busy to the point where I just realized how close Christmas is like now. Playing Christmas gigs and such does bring me in the spirit though, and I really do love Secret Santa/gift events like that.

Bonkenhi

you know how crows hop around?
Staff Emeritus
AKA
George
Time Zone
GMT
Kinda? I mean, I can get into it for the sake of organising an office Secret Santa and doing the decorating but in terms of feeling really HYPED about it? I don't think I've been able to do that since I was a kid.

Last year was pretty different though- I went on holiday over Christmas for the first time, to Vienna, Austria. (Over there they call it Wien and I find that a little bit funny? Even though the W's pronounced as a V but I digress...!) I had a lovely week away and actually really enjoyed all the Christmas-y things that year. This year I got some biscuits (yes, really...) for my Secret Santa and am at home so... while it'll be nice to have a family meal, it's not as exciting!