Do you get easily attached to your starter?

AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So of course, your starter Pokémon, the very first one that you receive in your adventure. One of three types, Grass, Fire or Water, except in Yellow where you get the Electric-type Pikachu. They're unique and have their own characteristics that set them apart, just like all Pokémon. They're the one you should have the fondest memories with. But many people see them as not as good as plenty of Pokémon that you'll find later on, or they're not that exciting since they're guaranteed to be seen even if just early on, and may end up dropping them in favor of other options. Are you one of those people, who tends to let them aside? Or do you hang onto them even if you don't want to or something?

With me, I am someone who does tend to use my starters a lot, even if again they're not the most original choices. I just feel good using them, especially when they've been with me for basically the whole adventure. There are some nice moments you're bound to have with them near the end of the game. I know that USUM has a touching bit where it's in your party, right after the scene with Kukui outside the entrance, it comes out of its Poke Ball and you both face the entrance together. And it especially feels good if you use it in the final battle against the Champion or what have you and it deals the final blow. And let me say right now, you'll be hard-pressed to find a Nuzlocker more dedicated to keeping their starter alive at all costs than me, especially in B2W2, XY and USUM. Matter of fact, I've been VERY good on that note. Even if sometimes they don't get as much action as I would like, it does feel good when they live to the end and see it all when those that they've traveled alongside have perished.

How about you? Do you tend to get close with your starters often or do you not think as much of them in the long run? Discuss!

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I enjoy games for the story first, so I get pretty attached to starters. I get upset at the opponent especially if they knock my starter out, I tend to get them to full affection early on, I love the little guys. They may not be original, but I grow fond of them and seeing them go from the tiny level fives to full grown powerhouses! I honestly have always felt weird when doing challenge runs not keeping them, I find it takes me longer to get into the game as a story. Most of the time I just go through the challenge with them because I just love them too much to not.

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
up until gen 5 i would be very attached to my starter, they were a staple on my team. but i guess gen 5 changed that cuz BW was the first time i easily abandoned my starter mid-game, and B2W2 was the first time i just got rid of my starter right away (not counting any specific challenge runs i did or anything). since then it hasn't been a sure thing, I will use and try to stick with my starter for new generations but otherwise i may keep them and get attached to them like anything else on my team, or i may not. it's kinda sad when i think about it.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
I make it a thing to never box my starter until after I beat the game.

I've always felt like I'm supposed to use my starter for the purposes of the plot, as I'm supposed to be having an adventure with it that way. After my adventure "ends" (so to speak), that's when it can take a break and I can box it and use other Pokemon instead.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
AKA
Daam
I have a weird WEIRD love for using starter Pokemon in main series games in my first playthrough. Your starter Pokemon is like a benchmark of your character's life! Like personally their first Pokemon must be super important to a person and I just run with that mentality throughout :happyazurill:

It's also a way to mark the start of the journey for me and the champion being the technical end. After that my team gets scrambled anyway cause the plot significance just doesn't stick with me after that point

Sheep

Junior Trainer
Staff Emeritus
I used to way back, but nowadays I know a lot more about IVs and such so I tend to box my starter after the main story and work on better mons. They'll definitely always be important and a nice memory to look back on after months of having beaten the game though, so in that way, yes, they are certainly special!!

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
Yes definitely, I've never boxed my starter until I've beaten the main game, and even then it's a pretty rare thing to happen.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Yes. I very rarely box my starter during the main story unless it is challenge related.

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Of course. It's extremely rare that I don't stick with my starter through the story, outside of challenge or novelty playthroughs.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Unless it’s a challenge run, I always use my starter. There’s something special about your first Pokémon on a journey.

Typhlosion

The Perfect Ruler
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I definitely get attached to my starter Pokemon. I've never played through a single game without keeping it in my party all the way through, and even afterwards I don't see much reason to get rid of it. The way I see it is that your starter is supposed to be that one Pokemon you can always rely on through thick and thin.

Mazerakuh

Junior Trainer
Yes, I always do use my starter during the main adventure. It's pretty easy to level-it-up compared to the majority of the other Pokémon findable in the wild, plus let's not forget it evolves fast enough. I also have this kind of obsession of keeping it 1 or 2 levels higher compared to the rest of my team.

Moonwatcher

Ring ring ring, Lily desu!
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
I tend to grow more attached to a pokemon I get about a third-halfway through the games. (Electrike in Y, Alolan Vulpix in Sun.)
While my starter is normally in my party for most of the game, I don't seem to grow any closer to them than the rest of my party. It help that most of the time my starters evolve into pokemon I'm not as fond of.
I will say that my Sun Nuzlocke made me very attached to my Popplo though. But otherwise, the starter is just another pokemon in the team/box.

~Kilza~

Contemplation
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I pretty much always use my starter and they become a staple on my team that isn't removed. Unless I'm playing a game for the umpteenth time or I end up doing a challenge run for some reason I don't really see a reason not to use my starter tbh.

Grunt Beavie

The Rocket Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
I almost always get attached.to.my startee in every game. Aside from my starter in my first time through X, I usually have it as my fav team member.

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
I always keep my starter on hand as they're the first major choice you make in the games. By which I mean it's the first choice that determines your play style and the basis on which all future strategy is built. Besides a lot of them start off too cute to avoid using and become too powerful not to rely on at least once or twice per fight (imo).

OceanMaster

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
IGN
Isiac
Generally, I tend to keep my starter on my team until post-game. However, there are certain exceptions. I have started a game off back in B2W2 by catching a bunch of patrats and trading them to my BW copy for eggs and I would hatch those mons and use them. Or if I was to embrace a monotype challenge I would keep my starter until I got atleast 3 of the monos.