Do you think the 3DS is still worth getting?

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
During all the hype of the Switch, it may be understandable that some people might not bother with touching their 3DSes anymore. This could be because of the age of the 3DS family as its several years old compared to the Switch which is dominating with its first party titles as well as third-party RPGs and indie titles.

But, despite all that, do you think the 3DS still has value to it? If someone were to come to you and ask whether or not it's still worth it to buy a new 2/3DS, would you still suggest that they go for it? How often do you still play your 3DS games? :o

Ralsei

Prince of Darkness
Time Zone
EST (UTC-5)
to be honest, i'm not that interested in a lot of switch games, and most of the ones i am interested in are also available on other platforms. my interest in the switch is dwindling even further with the online service which i think is just not worth paying for, at least in its current state.

on the other hand, the 3ds has a lot of great games on it, and with a hacked 3ds you can play even more games and add more functionality. i still use my 3ds a few times a week.

that said, i'm not sure i would still recommend anyone to buy a 3ds if they don't already have one, unless they're *really* interested in what it has to offer.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
I think an old 3DS is worth it simply for the HUGE library of games that the thing has. It opens you up to 2 gens of Pokemon, 4 LoZ games, Mario Kart 7, and literally hundreds of other titles.

Hopefully, Nintendo continues to support online play with the thing and doesn't cut it off to push 3DS users towards the Switch.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I'd say there's still some value to the 3DS. Right now, the only way to play 3DS games is on the 3DS, and the 3DS itself has a pretty extensive library of games that are on it through not only the 3DS games but the DS games and VC games. It's also unlikely that Nintendo makes another handheld like the 3DS again with the Switch being portable, so I think that slightly helps as well since it means you aren't spending money for something that'll just get replaced in a year or so.

fwiw, I've still been using my 3DS from time to time even with the Switch out, and there's still quite a few games I own for it that I haven't played/beaten yet so I'll probably be playing it some more in the future.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Absolutely. You can get it for pretty cheap and there are tons of 3DS and DS games to choose from. Even now it’s still a better value than the switch. (At least in terms of system and game cost).

Pantheon

Right. On. Cue!
Staff Emeritus
Yes, the 3DS library is very solid and you get one for a fairly cheap price now compared to release. The Switch library is still rather shallow in comparison.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
The 3DS is worth it if you don't have one. There are just so many games for it (and that includes all the DS titles too), something will tickle your interest.

As far as Pokemon goes, we are talking about 4 generations worth of main series games and spin-offs for it. Pair it up with a GBA or GBA SP, and then you have access to all 7 generations with just two systems.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
The 3DS is basically RPG heaven as far as the handheld world is concerned, even more so if you consider the backwards compatibility, and it's got some other gems like Mario Kart 7 and whatever Tomodachi Life is. I consider it by far my favorite console, PC included.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
I think so, assuming you have an interest in the games. I spent over 160 hours playing Rune Factory 4 alone, for example, and even more time between the 3DS Pokemon games. The 3DS has a fantastic library as others have mentioned, and it also gives access to DS games for anyone who missed the opportunity to play those. If I were to guess, i’ve probably spent more hours total with my 3DS than any other game system.

Wheegalure

Big Gamer God
Staff Emeritus
People of Play Counselor
AKA
Nick
Lots of great games on the 3ds. Tons of fire emblem, pokemon, zelda installments along with stuff like mario kart, animal crossing, smash bros, etc. But don't get a 3ds, get a base 2ds. One of the best deals i've seen is a green zelda themed 2ds for 90 bucks that comes with ocarina of time pre installed.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
IMO... part of me feels like the 3DS still has a while to go until its done for. I'd give it a few more years still, perhaps.

Really though, there's really nothing out there that can compete with the 3DS' expansive library (the Vita doesn't seem to be doing so well in the west) and general form factor. Those two reasons alone are more than enough reason to keep the system going for as long as it needs to.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
The 3DS is worth it if you don't have one. There are just so many games for it (and that includes all the DS titles too), something will tickle your interest.

As far as Pokemon goes, we are talking about 4 generations worth of main series games and spin-offs for it. Pair it up with a GBA or GBA SP, and then you have access to all 7 generations with just two systems.
This^^^

There's just so much content avaliable on it. A library of games that stretches over 10 years, all with just one console. It's cheap now, too, and the Virtual Console games open up a lot of other avenues too. It might not be the best or most powerful console, but having one is definitely worth it.

Penumbra

The Devil's Advocate
AKA
Pen, Penu, Penny
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4313-6127-3959
I bought a New 3DS XL in February to replace the 3DS I've owned since 2012, and it really doesn't disappoint. While DS games don't stretch to fit the top screen, I can't imagine going back to anything smaller. With my rough handling of my portable systems, it's not very pretty anymore, but I can tell it's well-made.

Naturally, most games still hold up well, and I get a Streetpass every month or so, which is saying a lot for the area I live in. All in all, it's a great line of systems that I still find enough enjoyment in to put off buying a Switch for the next year or two, or three. Even used, it's especially worth buying while normal DS games can still be bought and sold at retailers like Gamestop.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Happy Home Showcaser
AKA
Rowlix
Time Zone
CST
While I'm not ready to accept it, it's clear the 3DS' days are numbered. While it's not dead yet, most of its users are switching over to the Switch (heehee.)
The games on there and the sheer replayability of them may keep it alive, but for now, Nintendo is switching all of its development to the Switch.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
Nintendo is switching all of its development to the Switch.
Hehe... Switching to the Switch.

I do admit the 3DS is slowly losing support, but that still doesn't mean it's not worth the buy. Even if becomes discontinued, it'll still be a great buy anyway.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I mean, if you're looking for new games, then sure. But if you don't mind playing things that came out in the previous console cycle and don't mind looking for games that might be out of production, the 3DS has you set for a good long while.

(How long do you reckon the 3DS eshop is going to last? Obviously not forever, but given its popularity it's probably going to stick around for a little while, right?)

icelandic

Adept Trainer
Yes. Still a good handheld all round and at a much more pleasing price point than the Switch. Better battery life too I think. Especially good for JRPGs.

And I'd say it has to be called the definitive Pokemon console still. All main series games except the Gameboy Advance ones, all Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games except the Wiiwares, all Pokemon Ranger games, the Gameboy version of the Trading Card Game, and numerous other spinoffs.

The 3D is generally pointless, so if buying new you may as well get a 2DS or 2DS XL. Or you could buy any of the range second-hand.

I'd be mindful that physical games are getting a little harder to find, though there's still a good second-hand market to make up for that somewhat.

Erasmus

Frontier Brain
If you're a collection advocate in the pkmn games, then absolutely yes.
Being able to transfer up from any game now by virtue of 1 & 2 being added on the virtual console is fantastic. Gold and Silver, and the upgraded version, Crystal are timeless classics. You owe it to yourself to play them if you haven't ever done so.

Consider purchasing one particularly if you're interested in the following:

-collecting pkmn with unique moves
-shiny hunting certain pkmn that are only available in previous games
-ribbon collecting

Starting with ORAS, I began buying both versions. One to complete fully, and the other to reset if desired. Having all of the games now, it is comforting knowing that in the future (should they be hard to come across) I am able to access or complete projects that might arise. More or less, its a 1 time purchase of 120-159.99 that will remain relevant for your lifetime. (or your interest in pkmn)

^ and that's just considering pkmn, as others have said, there are other games you can enjoy on the 3ds as well. Cheers & Happy Friday