• The Closure of the Marriland Forums

The Marriland Forums will be going into read-only mode on February 15th, 2021. Come October 1st, 2021 the forums will be taken down entirely. More information can be found in this thread. Thank you for being a part of our community!

XY Do you think XY would've been better off with a third entry?

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
One of the biggest discussion points that's been a thing ever since the announcement of ORAS are Kalos fans wondering why XY didn't get its own third entry, like most generations did before. While we obviously can't read into Game Freak's mind as to why (unless there's some sort of interview that I missed), I do want to know from you guys whether or not XY would've been better off with a third title, or do you think it ended fine as it is? :o

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Well, for me XY are my least favorite games in the series. There were definitely some problems and I just couldn't really get into them as I could with other entries in the series. So yeah, I feel like a third entry would've helped for sure, since they could've fixed things up, made things less stupid (for lack of a better term). It very well could have ended up being a Platinum to Diamond/Pearl situation, where Z ends up fixing the problems of XY and becomes much more enjoyable to play. It's not as if they weren't set up for a third entry either, given how Zygarde would have been the obvious game mascot and even ended up with alternate forms in SM that I'm sure would've played a factor in Z.

So, yeah, there really should've been a third entry. Not sure why GameFreak chose not to make one, just seems like the wrong decision to me.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Absolutely. There was so much that needed to be fixed. The pacing, the difficulty, the story, and the postgame are just a few of the things that X and Y lacked. With a third version, they could’ve fixed all of these problems.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I personally liked XY a bunch more than Sun and Moon, but there was a lot of stuff that they could have done with a third entry. Zygarde's lore is severely underutilized and I'm feeling like if it played more of a Rayquazaesque role since it's ability Aura break was begging for it. The post game was weak admittedly, the story could have been expanded on and I would have personally just enjoyed it a lot more if we had a 3rd title.

I think GameFreak is just going out of their way to stop going in a pattern since gen 5. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I would love to revisit Kalos with an improved emphasis on story and post game content

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I really enjoyed XY at first, and still do, but...I admit it was a little simple in a bad way. The story had potential but because they were so focused on it being 3D it was never expanded. Zygarde especially had no real introduction and still feels...forced. Which seems wrong for the third trio member, usually the focus of the entire next game. Especially with its forms, which could have been much better introduced in a new game. The post game had a couple really sweet moments but was otherwise empty. My guess is they just wanted to make something different, but much as I love the other games they could have waited for one more game.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
idk i actually really like that X and Y weren't just made essentially obsolete by some better third version. I personally LOVED those games and minus the story, they felt complete and polished enough to me. I think what I would have loved to see were sequels to the games, something like BW/B2W2. Seeing Kalos from a fresh new perspective with new characters (and more content) would have been neat.

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I'm going to say no. I enjoyed X, but the series had already moved away from traditional "third versions" that just rehashed the originals with minor tweaks. In BW2 we got instead true sequels, and I could certainly have got behind the same idea for Kalos (Pokemon A and Z perhaps), the region's rich enough and there's space on the map to add even more. But a boring old third version, not so much. Also original Sinnoh and Unova had very small selections of Pokemon which I think motivates a revisit the regions, whereas Kalos has a huge range of Pokemon (which is one of the things I like about it).

Ultra Sun/Moon apparently returning to the minor rehash approach is one of the regions I haven't bothered buying them yet. (Though the biggest reason is that "Team Rainbow Rocket" seems ridiculous).

PerfectWorld

Fiery Passion
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Anne
3DS FC
3970-0367-7253
Switch FC
6736-1504-8698
IGN
Anne
I think a third version could've been a good way to expand the story since the story in XY is a little lackluster, especially when compared to BW & B2W2. Also, I like Zygarde and think it would have been a good mascot and slipped into the story easily.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
Just everything about how Zygarde was handled to me seems to indicate that they were going to do a third version at some point, but changed their minds. I honestly would not have minded lack of a third version if that was planned from the start, but the inclusion of AZ's Floette which we will never legitimately see along with the really awkward handling of Zygarde where they shoehorned stuff obviously planned for a third version into Gen VII instead makes me forever wonder what could have been. I would have much rather seen that get the chance to be properly executed in Gen VI.

I mean, as it currently stands, the lore behind Zygarde got completely cut out and it's just weird.

neoratz

i wish squids were real
AKA
Katey
Time Zone
EST
i would've really liked a third entry for xy, the game itself was fun but the story and the villains and the rivals were soooo sucko to me and it felt way too easy (though i wouldn't say easy pokemon games are bad! i just would've liked a teeny bit more challenge). i haven't played all the games yet (i've only played DPP/HGSS and every mainline game that came after it MINUS let's go and usum cuz i can't afford them atm) but xy is probably my least favorite of the bunch and i think a third entry could've changed that :(