do you watch what you eat?

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
idk i thought this would be a fun thread since everyone varies a LOT on this topic.

Even if you don't have some strict diet, maybe there are certain things you watch out for because it just does not agree with your body? maybe you make some effort to be healthy? or maybe none of that applies and you just accept any and all food into your body!!

also advice and stuff is fine, just pls don't shame or be rude to others for their decisions lol. everyone knows we SHOULD be doing what's "best" for our health and you might have your own idea of what that is, but at the end of the day, everyone's body is their own responsibility. and food is a wonderful thing partially because there's SO much variety to accommodate for what we choose to consume, and that's rly beautiful. i love food.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
I try, but I also kinda don’t. A lot of times, I say stuff like “wow I’ve had too much sugar today” and then proceed to grab the sweet treat in front of me. I struggle the most with getting fruits in my diet - unless they’re in smoothies or desserts, which are obviously drenched in refined sugars, I just don’t eat them.

I guess my conscience somehow works well enough though. I’m strict enough to not have more than one serving of ice cream/super sugary drink per day and to have at least some vegetables daily. I also like to make sure that my plate has a little bit of everything - carbs, protein, vegetables, etc. Balance is key after all.

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
Not as much as I should, honestly. A lot of what I end up eating is meat, cheese, and some kind of carbs. I've been trying to get fruits and vegetables in there more often, to mixed results. I find I have more success with fruit than I do with vegetables since I like the taste better most of the time.

The big thing I've been trying to watch out for is sweets and other junk food, especially since my poor impulse control now has a friend named "money I can spend".

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Oh boy, I used to be an extreme control freak about anything going into my body which contained a single calorie, but those days are well over.

I still keep careful track of what I eat, but definitely not as obsessively as I did before. I try to stay underneath 1100 calories a day, and I track it by entering everything into an app. But if I really want to eat something once in a while and it makes me go over, I'll eat it.

I'm really bad at eating a balanced diet though, the only thing that runs through my mind is the calories. If I eat 800 calories of chocolate (which is probably less than you think it is), I'll just eat an apple or something to fill out the rest of the calories and not eat anything else for the rest of the day. It's still hard for me to eat a balanced diet based on nutrition rather than just thinking of the calories it contains.

Last edited:

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Not gonna lie, not really. I am VERY guilty of tendencies like eating out, including fast food. And yet, I manage to remain relatively slim. I mean, it helps that my job is one that involves a LOT of physical activity, and I do make it a point to have the healthier items on occasion, though I can safely say that I'm bad with it. My brother once talked about how he doesn't buy snacks as much which makes it easier to not get tempted - I'm bad with stuff like that. Which isn't really helped when we tailgate before football games or host parties at home :P So yeah, that kinda gives you an idea of how I don't. xD

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
I try to. Emphasis on trying.

But if I'm hungry and there's not much in the way of healthy food, then I'll succumb to fast food every once in a while.

But I try not to make a habit of it.

smoky

afterglow
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i have really bad tendencies to eat basically everything i can. i get really hungry easily because i don’t even eat anything that has actual nutritional value to it, so i end up eating a bunch of stuff with tons of calories and ****. my family gets take-out basically every night, we buy a lot of snacks, etc. i just don’t really have an impulse control when it comes to junk food because a. it’s my diet, and b. i’m so used to it at this point that it’s like “no turning back!”. idk what i’m gonna do when i’m an adult because i can barely eat an apple rn without gagging.

i just really like food but i like food without anything in it that can sustain me a healthy life.

-Rosen

Bored
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Cleb
I watch what I eat because it's hard not to look at my food before I eat it

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I been trying to watch what I eat more. I try to make sure I am eating more fruits and veggies, eat less carbs, and drink more water. At the same time though, if I want that hamburger, I'm not going to beat myself up for it.

Eat what you want but try to have balance in your life.

Pantheon

Right. On. Cue!
Staff Emeritus
Not strictly. I am conscious of how much junk food I am eating and balancing out red and white meat, but other than that, nah. I don't count calories or anything like that.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I'd say in general I do, yeah. Like, I try my best to eat as healthy as I can. I don't really eat fast food all that often (maybe once a month at most?), nor stuff like candy/chocolate/snacks/etc. I have fruits and vegetables daily, alongside some protein and carbs. I don't count calories, since it isn't really something that's given me trouble.

I mean, I guess to put it in another way, I'm still happy with my health/weight and whatnot so what I'm doing works for me.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I used to be really careful about what I ate when I was anorexic, but now I just go with the flow. If I want a small treat, I'll have one. If I want a salad, I'll also have one. Of course I try to not eat too much junk, but at the same time I don't want to constantly worry about it.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i actually make a conscious effort to eat MORE calories if anything since i've been underweight my whole life, but the trick for me is trying to make sure those calories contain stuff i'll benefit from... i focus a lot on protein and vitamins to keep myself from getting dizzy, but i have a really hard time with the vitamins since i'm awful at incorporating ye olde fruits n veggies

i have an issue consuming too much sugar too since i loooove sweets so much... i buy them all the time so i have lil treats when i'm at home... so i've been trying to cut that back. even tho i dont have weight issues, diabetes does run in my family so i just feel like i have to be mindful. i also avoid dairy / lactose like the plague since it messes up my stomach and my skin rly badly.

and finally - been drinking lots more water!! since i drink it so slowly i tell myself i can never have too much water lol. a few years ago i'd almost never drink water, now i take a big water bottle with me to work every day and try to finish that, and have even more before and after work.

although i never wanna get super strict and obsessed over my diet, i definitely wanna take better care of myself. i think a good step would be finding more healthy foods that are cheap and easy to prepare at home (or even just snack on - i'm a HUGE snacker so i buy things like cherry tomatoes, dried mangoes, peanuts, etc so it's not completely horrible for me).

Last edited:

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I make sure that my diet includes protein, lipids, fibre and natural sugar. Every day I'll do my best to have at least one serving of fruit, vegetables and meat. Protein works really well for me in the mornings or before something that requires a lot of focus.

The most positive change I've had is from increasing the fibre in my diet. It's helped my gut and overall well-being, without going into too much detail.

I avoid processed foods and artificial sugars if I can. I don't enjoy fastfood as much as I used to, though I don't have a problem with it, I just try to avoid too much of it too. Fats are really important but I think fat from a steak is better than burger grease.

I have comfort food too, which is usually potato. I try to limit myself to one comfort snack per day and I'll go out of my way to make sure I eat well the next day to make up for it.

Also, I rarely snack. I try to have bigger meals so I don't feel hungry between them. Snacking was really bad for me at one point.

And finally, I hate bread. I can't eat heaps of it without feeling sick or getting bloated. I used to love it but now I just can't enjoy it as much. Wholemeal/wholegrain bread is better than white and usually my choice for any bread related thing I eat. Whole or full cream milk is better too.

Mudkip_Mishchief

Goodbye
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Carson, Mudkip
IGN
bbop
To be honest, no. I don't have a ton of money, and my parents aren't great about keeping food in the house. On top of that, i'm rarely home when there is food, because i'm always at work or school. Because of this, my diet is terrible, and I hate it. I get my energy for the day through cheap energy drinks, not healthy foods. It might sound weird, but all I really eat anymore is bread, and the occasional random snack or energy drink. At my work we have 16 inch loaves of bread which we sell for 60 cents each, and I usually rely on that to keep me full throughout the day. A normal day of food for me looks something like this:

1-2 pieces of 16 inch french bread (500-1000 calories)

1-2 rockstars - 130-260 calories (this is only on occasion, my spending money usually runs out pretty quick)

It's taken a tole on my physical and mental health. Physically, its like i'm both starving myself and overeating. I'm deprived of energy and I'm rarely full, yet, I've put on over 25 pounds since I started school (120 - 146). This amount of weight gain might seem normal for a 16 year old guy, but I haven't grown that much height-wise (maybe an inch, inch and a half). In addition to this, the caffeine makes me anxious and spasmatic (I'll dance around, shake my legs and tap my fingers, or twitch and shake my head), and I feel almost reliant on it at this point.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
lately living on a smaller budget has been rough for me, just because it's really easy to fall into the habit of eating cheap things like canned soup or ramen for long periods of time... i've been trying to do better and make sure that i eat more balanced things!! it's just hard sometimes.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
It's definitely difficult to eat healthy on a low income. The best thing you can do is spend more to buy healthier food but then keep leftovers and keep things as long as you can. Although it's more expensive to buy in bulk, you end up saving money in the long term and feeling better overall.

If you plan your meals and do your best to monitor your diet, you can make do on any income level. There's plenty of tips and guides out there for living healthily on a low income. The Australian Government has a pretty neat page about eating on a budget: https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/eating-well/tips-eating-well/healthy-eating-budget

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I use a calorie counter and a strict calorie amount to lose weight. I've lost at least 30 pounds since starting in June on a 1,200 diet. But if I get more exercise, I up the calories a bit (up to 1,600 at the most) to make sure I'm not pushing myself too hard. But as for types of food I don't worry about it, as long as I eat vegetables and fruits and such.

And I'm allergic to cilantro so I avoid that:)

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
of course I watch my food, otherwise it would run away when I wasn't looking

I don't make an effort to completely avoid any unhealthy foods, but I always do my best to make sure I'm eating in a balanced way. I try to have some fruit and vegetables every day. Limiting my soda intake is important too, because that's a big temptation.

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
No I don't watch my food, it's not still living so there's no chance of it getting off the plate and walking away.

Seriously though, I don't try to avoid much of anything. I have no food allergies and I'm not on a diet. If anything I'm rather thin, so why limit myself.