dumb pokemon rumors you heard

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
self explanatory talk about dumb rumors you heard about pokemon as a kid or older

whether you believed em or not

the biggest one when i was a kid was that if you caught mew and mewtwo and got them to level 100 there would be a special event in your game (FR/LG) that would give you access to mewthree

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
honestly the main rumor I heard was the very widespread "pressing B makes it easier to catch Pokemon" thing. It was also paired with something about pressing A making it more difficult to catch them. Little Dino, like many, wholeheartedly believed these things to be fact.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I heard that pressing A+B at the right time increased your chances of capturing a Pokemon, or something involving button pressing, same as Dino.

Reactions: SAF

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i remember a LOT for emerald, like that one guy in the mossdeep space center being able to take you in a spaceship to see deoxys if he said a certain number, or being able to see jirachi in one of the secret bases?? and of course being able to travel to kanto and johto if you completed the pokedex....

it's crazy bc a lot of these i heard from my friends' older siblings, who were so confident about it and sometimes even claimed they did it themselves, so i totally believed them. i mean, how could a grown up 8th grader be wrong.

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Not mine, but my friend was led to believe that using a super rod on top of Mount Coronet would reel in the legendary Pokémon: Regisky

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Not mine, but my friend was led to believe that using a super rod on top of Mount Coronet would reel in the legendary Pokémon: Regisky
clicking like cuz i ain't ever heard this one before

i got another
was told if you caught all the unown in HG/SS you could catch arceus

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
I remember back before Generation 2 came out, someone had told me there was going to be a Starmei evolution called Starus.
I kinda wanna see something like that. Starmei, but with 3 layers now.

Was also told if you beat the Elite 4 50 times in Generation 1, you can go to Johto.

@Dino: I still hold Down+B reflexively when I'm trying difficult catches lmao.

Scorbunny

New Trainer
When I was a 10 year old playing Pokemon Platinum, I thought there was a glitch to make Zorua appear in the wild. I had an R4 that allowed you to spawn any Pokemon by typing in it's Pokdex Number in the calculator Poketch app (remember that?). I heard about this new Pokemon called Zorua online. Nevertheless, I was mislead into thinking you can type '494' into the calculator to catch Zorua.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
honestly the main rumor I heard was the very widespread "pressing B makes it easier to catch Pokemon" thing. It was also paired with something about pressing A making it more difficult to catch them. Little Dino, like many, wholeheartedly believed these things to be fact.
Yeah, I definitely heard that one too. It took me a long while before I finally stopped mashing B while catching Pokemon, lol

Lauren

D:
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
The pressing B thing is the main one that stands out to me!

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
I found on the internet that there was a way to catch Mew by doing some fly glitch. I learned the glitch is real, but I attempted doing this in FireRed back in the day.

@theDINOsaurus
I don't recall hearing about it, but I did end up with the habit of holding down+B whenever I catch Pokemon. I specifically do it when the pokeball opens and closes.

@Quoake
Regisky needs to be an actual Pokemon now.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
I loved all the rumours about battling Prof. Oak.

I mean, it's probably possible with a glitch, but I was told before that there was a way to battle him normally which included beating the E4 x amount of times and doing some other mindnumbing stuff. x.x

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
I'm intrigued by the mashing B to catch Pokemon rumour, as I heard it was A to make it easier and I still find myself doing it now.

Mew under the truck anyone? :p

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I heard that rotating your finger on the D-Pad made it catch easier. Still do it sometimes out of habit hahah :P

Vulture

that guy, you know
I also heard of a button combo to make catching 'mons easier, although for me it was L+A.
On another note, this thread just reminded me of the best "rumour" for Pokemon (which was just a prank by Nintendo Power):
1541691597587.png

IIRC, they also claimed that Lickitung could evolve into Luigi through another method as part of the same joke.

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
Fearow evolves into Ho-oh. I didn't believe it but still.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
The main two I remember as a kid is that if you move the truck by SS Anne in RBY, you get Mew and the Mossdeep City one that you can eventually go to space and catch Jirachi.

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
The ones I remember were all back in the RBY days. There was the holding B when catching a Pokemon one, but I was also told that you could get faster forms of transportation, such as a scooter and a car, for beating the Elite Four some number of times (20? 50???). A kid I knew back when we were in fourth grade talked repeatedly about evolutions for Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise. I'm pretty sure I heard the Mew-under-a-Truck rumor back then, too.

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to mention I totally beat the Elite Four enough times to disprove that rumor (I guess I had nothing else better to do?? Most of those runs were hard carried by my Blastoise and Mewtwo lol). I think that started a period of time where I was very skeptical of any Pokemon rumors I heard.

Last edited:

Mazerakuh

Junior Trainer
Pretty much all the ones starting with "if you have *insert Pokémon* at Level 100 and bring it to *insert place*...". Many years ago these kind of rumours were very popular, in my country at least.

JustCallMeBB

idiot
AKA
BB
Time Zone
Eastern Time
Switch FC
SW-8517-4377-3302
There were two big ones I fell for back when playing gen 3. One was that if you sat directly in front of Rayquaza on spear pillar without actually fighting him and left the game running like that for exactly 10 hours, then fight him, he was a guaranteed shiny. According to the rumor, you had to be precise down to the second, one second more or less and you wouldn't get the shiny. I actually attempted this and made the full 10 hours, but it wasn't shiny, and I just assumed I was a second off.
Another gen 3 one I fell for was that in Sapphire under certain conditions (don't remember what the conditions were exactly) you could return to the cave of origin, go all the way back to the pool kyogre was sitting in, and surf in it. When surfing around the pool, you would randomly encounter Suicune, Raikou, or Entei. Because of the way the tiles are around the pool, it's physically impossible to surf in it.