Dumb/Silly Fails

Reunilu

Reddest of Mages
AKA
Shaymin, Nagi
What kind of fails have you had while playing?

I had one just a few minutes ago. I was trying to train my Wimpod and all of a sudden I found a shiny Cubone. No tricks, no Shiny Charm, nothing. I tried weakening it, forgetting about Wimpod’s ability, and ran away turn one. I’m absolutely dead from that.

Last edited:

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
the first thing that came to mind was the time i used my Z move on the first turn against the totem mimikyu in Sun

obv it just broke its disguise and didn't hurt it

like wtf i felt so dumb it's one of my fav pokes too i should kNOW THIS

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
There's a part of me that's still kinda peeved because when I was a kid, I fainted a shiny Linoone thinking it would survive bc I thought shiny Pokemon were stronger.

I mean, not like shiny Linoone is all that great, but to kid me who never encountered a shiny poke before, it was a big deal, and I was really sad for a while.

Last edited:

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
the first thing that came to mind was the time i used my Z move on the first turn against the totem mimikyu in Sun

obv it just broke its disguise and didn't hurt it

like wtf i felt so dumb it's one of my fav pokes too i should kNOW THIS
I did this too. :(

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I threw away my Silver cartridge because the battery was dead. Later that year I learned the batteries in cartridges can be replaced.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I found my first shiny....in a fake copy of Emerald which can never be transferred.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I jumped into a multi battle with my friend against 2 random people we found online in XY after half an hour of searching...And I accidentally picked my team of lvl 1s I was hatching rather than my battle box

It took another HOUR to find 2 willing people :cryingazurill: I was never forgiven

Revan

Wound in the Force
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Ravey, Steve
Time Zone
US Central Time
I found a shiny Phantump in the Friend Safari and made two silly/dumb fails that battle.

1. I Mega evolved Charizard just to use Dragon Rage.
2. I used Dragon Rage a second time after it did more than half and Phantump used Ingrain and only got up to a little over half HP with that.

Needless to say I was very upset with myself.

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I was soaring on Latias in Alpha Sapphire, going after some of the ring legendaries I think. I triggered a wild encounter with a flying Pokemon, and habitually mashed the run button without even looking because I didn't want to bother fighting it. I glanced down just as the "got away safely" message appeared, and it was a Shiny Pelipper I had encountered. Now don't get me wrong, I do not like Pelipper, but a shiny is a shiny.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
The first shiny I encountered was a Shiny Marill.

In the Safari Zone in Diamond.

Oof.

Mystical

Ysabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
I used to think ice was weak to electricity because Articuno was weak to electric attacks. Of course later I learned that it was weak to electricity because it was a flying type.

I also used to think you had to take the boat on Pokémon Yellow and got upset every time it left me behind

icelandic

Adept Trainer
To be fair, every Gen1 Ice type except Jynx is weak to electric.

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Was going through Giant Chasm in Black, when I happened to run into a shiny Solrock. I'm not sure exactly was running through my head, but I decided the best course of action was to run away from it, even though catching it would have been easy. That choice still keeps me up at night.

DriftyAlison0

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Central Time Zone
3DS FC
3024-8099-0491
IGN
Drifty
I was once hoard shiny hunting in Y for Zubat and ran into one and ran away. While I was running away I spotted the shiny and have yet to get another one since. I work on it now and then and hoping that someday that I get it again.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I did the use my Z move on the first turn of the game against Totem Mimikyu. That was fun.

Most of the dumb fails I did were because of me not saving like evolving a bunch of Pokemon for my living dex only to forget to save after I decided I should take a break....

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
In competitive battles I used Earth Power on a Rotom on at least three different occasions. I also forgot how breeding works and thought that a I could pass down stats from my female Volcarona to a Scatterbug. I was rather confused when a Larvesta hatched :P

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I used the Poke Transporter to send Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf from my copy of Black 2 to my copy of Alpha Sapphire, forgetting that you can catch the Lake Trio naturally in those games and that I had even already done so.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I caught a shiny Mankey on my copy of Leafgreen and deleted the save file without transferring it. Oof.

Cheshire Cat

Cursed
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
4184-2828-4738
IGN
Angel
My biggest noob moment was back in Silver.
I didn't understand that the cop asking for the name of the Pokemon thief was the method for naming the rival so I named him ???, the unidentified tag used in the first battle with him.
In retrospect, though I feel like it was an awesome fail, leaving him with that mysterious aspect.

Does it also count that when my Silver died, I had only just learned of the concept so wasn't expecting it (It had happened to my Gold first and I had no idea to expect the same of my Silver) and didn't think to save my level 100's on Stadium 2? :P

I threw away my Silver cartridge because the battery was dead. Later that year I learned the batteries in cartridges can be replaced.
I'm right there with you but:
  1. I wouldn't have been able to get it fixed, I didn't have my handy stepdad at the time.
  2. Fixing the battery wouldn't have meant a thing to me without being able to recover my file. I was attached to that file, I'd made my best memories on it. Not to mention the level 100's I mentioned above. To this day they're the only ones I've had.

Last edited:

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
Got some shinies from Bunnie's giveaway....forgot to go online for few minutes.