Wonderlocke Eres' Adventures in Wonderland - Pendraflare's Ultra Moon Wonderlocke: Set Mode + Item Restrictions [Slashing and Mashing]

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Hey there, everybody! So if you stuck with me at all on the previous Marriland forums you'd know that I was avid in the world of Pokémon challenges such as Nuzlockes and Wedlockes. I do have my X Rainbow Wedlocke still being documented, but Storylockes can be tough to really keep up. And there was a challenge that I was doing on Ultra Moon at the beginning of the year, but I stopped documenting it because not a lot of people cared and there were things that to me were higher priority. (I did beat the game in that challenge, though.)

So not long ago, I finished my first challenge that I shared on the Nuzlocke forums, a Yellow Nuzlocke, and while it wasn't overly difficult it was nice for it to be a standard opener that got things going. I did the challenge early in the year, but I enjoyed playing through it! I don't think I'll share it here unless enough people really want to, but I'll leave it there at least. And I had some options on what I could post next, and I decided that this would be the next thing I'd share there, and the first I would share here. For one, I'm a big fan of USUM, moreso than quite a few people I've seen here, mostly for its challenge factor, and its gameplay being much more involved than the original games. For two, Wonderlockes can be interesting, so I'm sure this will provide a fun read for you guys! I have done a couple before, including one on Moon back in 2017 that I shared on the previous forum. It definitely had some challenging bits, and with Ultra being harder overall I think this will prove a fun one to do!

Anyway, let's get on with the rules, shall we?
Basic Wonderlocke Rules: (Credit to Azurilland users Shhmew and seaturtle for these!)
1. ALL Nuzlocke rules apply. If a Pokémon faints, it is considered "dead" and you can no longer use it in battle. You can also only catch the first Pokémon you encounter on each route. Finally, you must nickname each Pokémon you use (even though you can't actually change their name, you can still name them in your heart!). See the Nuzlocke Rules for details.
2. Once you catch the first Pokémon you encounter on the route, you must trade it away using the Wonder Trade feature. This can be accessed through the PSS once you are connected to the internet. Whatever Pokémon you get in Wonder Trade as a result is your actual first encounter and is the one who you may use on your team or put in your PC box for later.
3. You may not use Pokémon Refresh at any point during the challenge. The only exception is to evolve Sylveon if you happen to get an Eevee and want to evolve it into Sylveon.
4. The Exp. Share may only be used for grinding, not when progressing through the story (ie battling trainers, Totems/Grand Trials, etc).

Clauses:
1. Dupes Clause: Any Pokémon you encounter on the first route counts, even if you have already caught it, because you will be trading it away anyway. However, if you receive a Pokémon in Wonder Trade that you have already gotten, it can be re-wonder traded to receive something different. This is to encourage diversity and make it more fun! As per usual, I will be using this rule, with an exception…
One exception to this rule will be Eevee. Because of how common Eevee are over Wonder Trade (not to mention how I can get one for free as a gift but I’ll get to that in a bit), and how many Eeveelutions we have, I will be allowing myself a total of two Eeveelutions for use in the playthrough.
2. Shiny Clause: If you encounter a shiny Pokémon in the wild, you may catch it, even if it wasn't your first encounter. Furthermore, you don't have to Wonder Trade it -- you may keep it to use for the challenge, or trade to other games as you wish. If it dies, you still can't use it in the challenge anymore, but you can still keep it and trade it to other files, etc. This I will definitely be going with, because why wouldn't I.

Other Rules I'm Using:
1. The battle style must be on Set at all times, preventing me from switching out after knocking out the opposing Pokémon.

2. Items cannot be used from the bag in battle, other than Poke Balls of any kind. Outside of battle is fine, though, as are held items. This also applies to Roto Powers, I cannot use ones that can only be used in battle (ie Roto Boost, Roto HP Restore), but ones that can be used outside of battle (ie Roto Encounter, Roto Friendship) are completely fair game. Additionally, Adrenaline Orbs can also be used against wild Pokemon for training purposes.

3. WT Vermin Clause: If I receive a Pokémon over Wonder Trade that I consider to be basic WT fodder (i.e. early game com mons, Magikarp, male Combee, Ditto, etcetera), I can choose to send it back with no repercussions. This is a clause that was once suggested back in 2015 by a former CC member, and while it may seem like taking the easy way out, it’s more to promote good variety as opposed to having a team of mostly stuff that everyone gives. I could name a list of Pokémon that qualify as such, but I’m sure you guys can get a good idea of what I would count there. If you guys want me to own up to when I use it, then I am happy to do so.

4. Soul Bond Clause: An original component of the initial Wonderlocke ruleset, if I am given a Pokémon in-game, I do not have to Wonder Trade it and am able to keep and nickname it. Basically that means I get to keep things like the Eevee egg from the nursery helpers, any fossils I might revive (though I’ll more than likely only revive one), the Aerodactyl I receive at Seafolk Village, and Poipole. This will also apply if any wild Pokémon appear on Poké Pelago and wish to join my team - I will allow myself one free team member from that which I can keep with no restrictions. This rule will not apply to my starter, though, I will be Wonder Trading that.

5. Legendary Jackpot Clause: If I receive a legendary Pokémon or Ultra Beast over Wonder Trade, I must Wonder Trade it back immediately, but I get a bonus catch for any previous area which I can use to Wonder Trade away. This was the same rule that Marriland had in his Y WonderWedlocke stream in 2014. So, say I get, like, a Kartana over Wonder Trade. I’ll have to Wonder Trade it back right away, but I can then go catch another Pokémon and then Wonder Trade it for something else. Additionally, this rule also applies to any shiny Pokemon I may come across over Wonder Trade. If I get one that's like Level 100 and clearly hacked, I can send it back and it will fall under this rule.

6. Inappropriate Nickname Clause: If I receive a Pokémon with a nickname that I find inappropriate or I feel uncomfortable with for whatever reason, I can Wonder Trade it back. I want to make sure the nicknames I receive are PG and that nobody else is bothered by them.

7. If I receive an over-leveled Pokémon over Wonder Trade, as in higher level than the next totem or important fight, I can send it back.

For that matter, I am not going to be playing with an explicit level limit. The main reason for that is because this is a Wonderlocke, where everything I get gains boosted EXP except gift Pokémon, not to mention how there isn’t a lot of headroom between some of the bigger fights, so it can be hard to not end up over-leveled at times come those points. So, in short, if anyone on my team ends up over-leveled, then whatever, but it’s not something I’m outright going to deliberately do on purpose.

I’m sure there’s at least something I’m meaning to mention here but haven’t remembered at the time of this typing. If there’s anything else I remember to mention, I’ll add it here. If you guys have any questions about these rules and how they work, then I’d be happy to answer.
And this will be a screenshot run! Not only that, but I'll try to comment on various parts about the game and sharing my thoughts overall, as to express what there is I like about the game and don't. And I'll attempt to make my commentary entertaining. :P This won't be a story run, though, THAT I do want to save for something else in this game. I'll have the first part up later (matter of fact, I literally have the first four parts already posted on the Nuzlocke forums), but I hope you guys enjoy it! Thanks for reading, everybody. ^_^

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
*Last updated as of Part 6*
Starter: Rowlet > Horsea "named" Inklet (Status: Deceased)
Upper Route 1: Grubbin > Minior "named" Marvel (Status: Currently on team)
Route 1 - Hau'oli Outskirts: Inkay > Caterpie > Rockruff "named" Pouncer (Status: Deceased)
Route 1 - Trainer's School: Zorua > Ponyta "named" Bigshot" (Status: Deceased)
Hau'oli City: Mime Jr. > Gible "named" Clinger (Status: Deceased)
Route 2: Ekans > Froakie "named" Kermit (Status: Currently on team)
Sandy Cave: Psyduck > overleveled Luvdisc > Buneary "named" Hairball (Status: Currently on team)
Hau'oli Cemetery: Murkrow > overleveled Fletchling > Sableye "named" Gemstoner (Status: Currently on team)
Verdant Cavern: Noibat > overleveled Trubbish > Pichu "named" Supervolt (Status: Currently on team)
Route 3: Mankey > Luvdisc > Wingull "named" Crate
Melemele Meadow: Metapod > Alolan Sandshrew "named" Igloo (Status: Currently on team)
Seaward Cave: Delibird > Litten "named" Red Rover
Ten Carat Hill: Machop > Magikarp > Luvdisc "named" Placeholder

Route 4: Eevee > Sandygast "named" Santom
Paniola Ranch: Lillipup > Tentacool "named" 80-Ton
GIFT POKÉMON: Visionary the Eevee (Egg from nursery helpers)
Route 5:
Brooklet Hill:
Route 6:
Route 7:
Paniola Town:
Kala'e Bay:
Melemele Sea:
Wela Volcano Park:
Dividing Peak Tunnel:
Route 8:
Lush Jungle:
Diglett's Tunnel:
Route 9:
Memorial Hill:
Akala Outskirts:
Hano Beach:

Malie City:
Malie Garden:
Route 10:
Mount Hokulani:
Route 11:
Route 12:
Blush Mountain:
Ula'Ula Beach:
Route 13:
Tapu Village:
Mount Lanakila:
Route 15:
Route 14:
Abandoned Megamart:
Route 16:
Ula'Ula Meadow:
Route 17:

Seafolk Village:
Poni Wilds:
Ancient Poni Path:
Poni Breaker Coast:
Exeggutor Island:
Vast Poni Canyon:
Ultra Space Wilds:

Melemele Island:
Parts 1-4 are all on this page.
Part 5: Boring Extra Side Stuff!

Akala Island:
Part 6: Hau 'Bout Them Cowboys?!

Ula'Ula Island:

Poni Island:

Pokémon League:

Last edited:

Vesphira

=^.^=
AKA
Ves
Time Zone
EST
~*waiting patiently*~

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Thanks! Well, wait no further. Time to get out the first part! Enjoy.
So I decided to start the game, and chose the girl character and named her Eres, a female name that means “wonderful”.

Side note, I really like the female PC in USUM. Her hair is pretty cute! Anyway, you all know how the beginning of this game goes, Lillie steals Cosmog from Aether, you get your first Pokémon, you nearly drown but Tapu Koko saves you, you go to the festival, blah blah blah. So I’m gonna skip most of the stuff that’s the same as in the original to get to the Wonder Trade part. But there are things I will touch on along the way.

For one, the opening scene where the starters come out and save you from the Yungoos that comes out against you, that’s a great addition. Anyway, I decided that Rowlet would be the starter I would send off. I also have an Ultra Sun Nuzlocke that I plan to do in story format eventually and have surely talked about, and SPOILERS, I choose Popplio in that, so not like it really matters either way but this is what I’ll take. That Primarina at the very end could be a good opponent. Anyway, after facing a wild Rattata, we met with Hau, who after finding out that Kukui let me start without him, chose Popplio.

There is something I do like here, about how it shows you the Pokemon that he chooses. In the original, he already had his starter. Granted, most games do that, but some don’t. It’s interesting though that he chooses the starter weak against yours and then challenges you to battle. Which is what he did, and Rowlet beat him in two hits.

We were then off to Iki Town to look for the kahuna, and I was suggested that I may find the ruins that belong to Tapu Koko. OOOOOOOH, this isn’t foreshadowing AT ALL! Anyway, as we went up Mahalo Trail, Lillie was trying to keep Cosmog safe, and I follow her to the bridge, where it gets into trouble with the Spearow.

But it is a nice touch that you get to battle it for yourself in this game. Three Tackles were enough to kill it, even with me being weak to Grass. Anyway, after that I tried to protect Nebby but it used its power the wrong way and the bridge was destroyed, but Tapu Koko saved me from falling into the ravine.

This is something that I REALLY like about this generation, in that it wastes no time in getting you into some intense action with your character nearly drowning but then being saved. Anyway, I got the Sparkling Stone, and we made our way back to Iki Town, where Kahuna Hala showed up. We told him about what happened, and as thanks I got the Pokédex and Trainer Passport to prepare myself for what was ahead. But he borrowed my Sparkling Stone.

Lol Nebby. So the next day, I was readying for tomorrow, when Kukui asked me over to Route 1 so I could learn some basics.

SPOILER: She never does. The boxes literally remain packed the entire game, just like in the original. You’re not very organized!!! Anyway, we went up to Route 1, where Kukui and his 50 Poké Balls caught a Grubbin. Anyway, he gave me some starts, and that allowed me to enter the grass and…

So that’s a Grubbin for myself! Every source I’ve read though has stated this encounter is scripted, so I caught it. Up ahead, I had to battle a Lass who I won’t talk about because she wasn’t with WT’d Pokemon. I skipped as many trainers as I could for right now and made my way up to near where something was going on.

And the Ultra Recon Squad were there, talking about how this is weird even if it’s what they’ve supposedly wanted. Early on their dialogue isn’t very sensical but they’re part of this. Up ahead was the festival, where we faced Hau. To sum up the battle, Grubbin lowered Pichu’s Speed, Rowlet beat him despite Charm lowering my Attack, I switched out and had Grubbin lower Popplio’s Speed and once again Rowlet took care of that. I then got the Z-Power Ring and island challenge amulet and were ready to take on the island challenge! After that we met with Lillie once again and Mom met her, but not without parting ways properly.

What do you take me for? Anyway, we then met with Kukui at the lab, received Rotom for my Pokédex, and then suddenly things went dark!

Is it? Or could it be something else entirely??? Anyway, time for the second catch that I’ll be Wonder Trading off.

An Inkay! Alright, that’ll make do. One thing I have to say though, that is a nice little touch how Rotom tells you that it’s never seen a certain Pokemon before. Anyway, it was a little tough to catch, taking three Poké Balls to catch, but I did so. After Lillie showed me to the PMC, I then gained access to Festival Plaza, where Sophocles walked me through it and after I was done with that I was able to get on with the Wonder Trade! I traded the Grubbin first, and…

A Minior! That is cool, I have yet to use one of these before this point. I decided that its “name” would be Marvel.

And then there was the Inkay I caught. First up I ended up traded a Caterpie… But not only does that fall under Vermin Clause, but I had just used Butterfree in Yellow. So I allowed myself to send it back, and…

A Rockruff! Alright, that’s pretty cool. I decided its name will be Pouncer. And I saw its moves and found out it had Rock Slide and Fire Fang, which I was amazed by! That’s something to be pleased with. :O Lastly was Rowlet. I sent it off, and in return…

A Horsea. That’s pretty interesting. I named it Inklet. I then did some Festival Plaza stuff to get its rank up a bit. After that, I was able to beat a wild Buneary to get everyone to Level 3, rather easily since I have two Rock-types that resist Normal. I beat two trainers on upper Route 1 that were easy thanks to that.

I also want to point out that I actually like this feature. It’s a cute way of bonding with Pokemon. Sure, it’s not what walking with them in HGSS was, but I can’t help but find it very sweet. I did quite a bit of playing with them in my Ultra Sun Nuzlocke and it was a pleasant distraction from the actual tasks at hand.

Then there were a couple more trainers at the Hau’oli Outskirts. As far as those trainers went, a Youngster had an Inkay that Inklet blasted down, and got Marvel to Level 7 and the others to 6. There was also a Lass who used a Yungoos that Inklet got low thanks to Water Pulse confusion and gave decent EXP for the Rock-types too. I then went and killed a wild Slowpoke, because I knew there was a Swimmer who used a Wingull that I was concerned could deal some damage to my team.

And she used Growl first turn and barely lived Rock Slide, and despite an attempt at deterring me with Supersonic, it was meaningless as Crunch killed her.

That aside, I think I did enough for this part, so this is where I’ll leave it off.

QotD: Are there any particular Pokemon that you (hypothetically, if that) hope to see used in this adventure?
  • Started the game. Chose the light brown haired girl and named her Eres.
  • Chose Rowlet as my “starter” and did all the opening stuff, including defeating Hau twice.
  • Received the Pokédex from Kukui and was pointed to the Trainer’s School.
  • WT: Upper Route 1: Grubbin à Minior “named” Marvel
  • WT: Hau’oli Outskirts: Inkay à Caterpie (sent back) à Rockruff “named” Pouncer
  • WT: Starter: Rowlet à Horsea “named” Inklet
  • Beat the trainers on upper Route 1 and Hau’oli Outskirts, none of which were tough.
“Marvel”, Level 8
Ability: Shields Down
States: 30, 25, 17, 19, 16, 24 (In order: HP, Attack, Defense, Sp Atk, Sp Def, Speed)
Moves: Defense Curl, Rollout, Tackle

(F) “Pouncer”, Level 8
Ability: Keen Eye
Stats: 27, 17, 13, 10, 12, 16
Moves: Crunch, Fire Fang, Rock Slide, Sand-Attack

(M) “Inklet”, Level 7
Ability: Swift Swim
Stats: 21, 12, 15, 13, 9, 15
Moves: Bubble, Smokescreen, Water Pulse
ID No.: 189455
Money: 35840P
Alola Pokédex: 6 Registered
Time: 1:20
None yet!
Title reference: The rabbit hole, from Alice in Wonderland. I mean what else? :P
So I think we got off to an okay start, everything considered, even if having two Rock-types isn’t quite as optimal as I would like. You guys will see how they fare me, though I’m not thrilled that Marvel’s only STAB attack to start off is Rollout. The other two should hold up good, though. I am regretting not naming my character Alice, though, that would’ve been PERFECT. But I did use that name in a WonderSleeplocke I did in 2015, though, so this female name that, again, means “wonderful” is fitting.
Anyway, next time we’ll make our way to the Trainer’s School. Thanks for reading!

Vesphira

=^.^=
AKA
Ves
Time Zone
EST
Looks like you're off to a good start so far! I'm glad that having 2 rock types isn't slowing you down. You have an interesting team. Looking forward to more updates. =)

QotD: Hmmm I guess anything is possible, so I just hope to see more underutilized Pokemon, just like Minior.

LRachelR5

Junior Trainer
As usual I am very much looking forward to your playthtough and I wish you luck!
QOTD: Like Vesphira I would hope to see some of the as Marriland would call them 'unlikely heroes' to be used in your challenge which is the fun of a Wonderlocke

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Thanks to the both of you girls! And yeah, having two Rock-types can be an inconvenience but they both have things to use. We'll find out what's ahead! So let's get on with the next part, shall we? I'll try to get these out as easily as I can, but things will get in the way down the road, haha. Anyway, enjoy.
Last time, Eres started her adventure and got her first set of Pokémon over Wonder Trade. Now she has more to go through, including the Trainer’s School!

That was where me and Lillie made our way off to, but first we were met with a crazy Tauros! Despite that, we continued to the school, and the teacher introduced us.

These students have night school? Never would’ve guessed. Anyway, Kukui gave me the Exp. Share, which immediately was shut off, because it’s already enough in a Wonderlocke that everything other than gift Pokémon gain boosted EXP since they’re traded. Anyway, our first encounter in this area was a Zorua. I was slightly scared at first to attack it, but I managed to get it low on health, even with some Poke Balls barely shaking.

However, its Pursuit was hitting hard, and Inklet was in danger of fainting! Nevertheless, I went for it, and caught it. As I sent it off into the ether…

Out came a Ponyta! That’s pretty cool. I decided its name would be Bigshot, like the one I had in Yellow but didn’t use. Then it was time for some action! The first trainer used a Bonsly, which I led with her against, but switched her out immediately. Pouncer made simple work of the Bonsly thanks to Rock Slide. And the fact that its only attack is Flail. Bigshot gained five levels from it.

The second trainer was inside, and her Metapod had an Oran Berry. Bigshot slowly made her way through it thanks to Tail Whip and Growl. She was low on health, but made it out and grew to Level 7. The third had a Grimer, which Bigshot lowered the Defense of and got poisoned, only to deal a relatively weak hit even at that. The rest of my team members got in on it, but Pouncer finished it and she, Marvel and Bigshot all gained levels. Also, his name was Joey. YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO THE REAL YOUNGSTER JOEY. GTFO.

The last one had an Ekans with Intimidate. Meaningless against Inklet, but I had to get out of there and bring in Marvel, who would take Wrap with ease. I did flinch, though, but I had an Oran Berry to prop me up after Wrap. Once I was able to get a Defense Curl + Rollout in, and become Core form, it was easy to take. So I got TM01 for Work Up from him…

And suddenly I was called to the office on 2F! What the heck did I do?! I didn’t bully anybody! Despite being supposedly slandered, I went up to 2F… And the teacher was there and wanted to see how she’d fare myself after my performance! She had a Litten since I chose Rowlet, and I had my own Fire-type in Bigshot. I led off by using Growl twice to cut its Attack, and after that two hits of Water Pulse from Inklet did it in with ease. Both of those two gained a level while I was at it. After she joked over the thought of me replacing her, she gave me five Great Balls, and Ilima showed up, having been pleased by my performance and invited me to his trial.

With that, I had passed my lesson at the Trainer’s School! I graduated at age 11! Isn’t life awesome?! Everyone saw me off, and as Lillie and I continued back on track… That Tauros was still there! Hala had him under control this time, and offered to have me touch it. Stroking its mane had little effect, but petting its face did! It appeared pleased to be in contact with me.

Remember this for later. Anyway, Hau was quick to make way to Hau’oli City, but we followed suit. Come daytime in-game, that is.

At that point, we went through the city and did the stuff that’s the same as in the original, including learning the Alolan greeting and getting the Poke Finder, and getting stuff from Lillie aka the 99,999th person to enter the apparel shop.

Which I made my way into and gave Eres a new look with. Call me that guy, but I do like the female outfits in these games. I get why people call them samey as compared to XY, but I enjoy it.

Shortly after, I met with Ilima, once again, who was putting up stickers on walls. Zomg, is he a gangster? Putting things on walls?! Didn’t people tell you not to cause collateral damage?! He even spoke of how Team Skull has been about town. They’re the real thugs here!

But enough about that. What will I find in the grass?

My encounter here was a Mime Jr. It wasn’t very tough to catch, and as I did, I sent it off and in its place came…

A Gible. And it had Outrage, no less! That’s really nice to have at this stage in the game. I decided to name it Clinger. I did a lot more Festival Plaza business and learned more about Team Skull’s mischief. After that, Hau came out of the malasada shop, but our reunion was cut short by who else! Hau was onto them, and I had my turn to go in.

His Zubat was an easy kill for Bigshot, though. Clinger got plenty of EXP and some levels.

Yeah, you were playing the original game and not Ultra! They fled like scaredy cats. As Hau concluded that they have too much time on their hands, he declared that he’d gone out to the Marina, shouting out that he’ll beat his old gramps in an all-out serious battle. Ilima showed up and healed my Pokémon as thanks, and invited me for battle.

But first I had some training to do. I got Clinger up some more levels so she would get Dragon Rage. And a few more levels, too. I then went back to take on Ilima!

As he began with Yungoos, I started with Gible, and he used Tackle for a little bit less than half as Dragon Rage got the OHKO.
Then we had Smeargle. For that I switched over to Inklet, who took a Tackle for 1/4, and then another did 1/3 but my Oran Berry healed that up before I got in a SmokeScreen to lower his accuracy. He hit with Tackle again for 1/3, but I got in another SmokeScreen. I then switched in Rockruff, who took a Tackle for 1/5. He hit once again for 1/5, while my Rock Slide did slightly less than half to him.

After that, I finally had the miss I was waiting for, and I used Fire Fang as to not want him to heal, but it got him to healing range…or not, as Tackle hit again and got me below half, but wasted my Berry Juice before another Rock Slide killed him for the win and got Gible, Pouncer and Inklet to all gain levels.

With that done, he took a liking to my team and invited me to his trial in the Verdant Cavern on Route 2. Lillie talked again about how she gets lost all the time, and wanted to learn more about Nebby. Hala had Tauros settled once again, and as I grabbed it by the horns, it seemed pleased to know me. It then ran off.

But Hala wasn’t about to let it go that simple! He headed north to Route 2, which is where we’ll head later.

QotD: What do you think of how people have mistaken Ilima for a female and not male?
  • WT: Trainer’s School: Zorua > Ponyta “named” Bigshot
  • Beat the trainers in the Trainer’s School, only one of which dealt any real damage.
  • Arrived in Hau’oli City and did some stuff there.
  • WT: Hau’oli City: Mime Jr. > Gible “named” Clinger
  • Dealt with Team Skull at the Marina.
  • Did a bit of training, then beat Ilima in a fight that wasn’t very tough.
  • Met with Tauros once again.
“Marvel”, Level 11
States: 37, 33, 21, 25, 21, 31
Moves: Confuse Ray, Defense Curl, Rollout, Tackle

(F) “Pouncer”, Level 11
Ability: Keen Eye
Stats: 33, 21, 16, 12, 15, 20
Moves: Crunch, Fire Fang, Rock Slide, Sand-Attack

(M) “Inklet”, Level 11
Ability: Swift Swim
Stats: 21, 16, 21, 18, 12, 20
Moves: Bubble, Leer, Smokescreen, Water Pulse

(F) “Bigshot”, Level 10
Ability: Flash Fire
Stats: 30, 26, 16, 20, 16, 25
Moves: Ember, Growl, Tackle, Tail Whip

(F) “Clinger”, Level 10
Ability: Sand Veil
Stats: 33, 21, 15, 16, 17, 13
Moves: Dragon Rage, Outrage, Sand Attack, Tackle
Money: 32732P
Alola Pokédex: 9 Registered
Time: 2:28
None yet!
So those are some cool new catches. Ponyta is not common, though it’ll help more once it gets Flame Wheel. And Gible is, well, Gible, with Dragon Rage it can make some of the big fights easier. And I do have plenty for what’s ahead, so I like where this is starting. But will it last?
You’ll find out next time, where we should get to taking on the first trial. Thanks for reading!

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
Gible with Dragon Rage? Sweet! That should make the early game pretty easy for you. Maybe you'll even get to evolve her into Garchomp! :D

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Gible will make things so easy, lucky you! I love Ponyta, so I'm happy to see it here. Shame it won't evolve for ages though.

Vesphira

=^.^=
AKA
Ves
Time Zone
EST
Oh Gible... I guess you are bound to get a few strong mons as breeder rejects. I hope this challenge isn't too easy for ya!

QotD: Uhm well I am one of them who thought he was a female right up until an NPC called him a HIM. Oops. I like a few characters to have inconspicuous genders. That's fine. Lana looks like a boy to me, too. Ah well.

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
QOTD: I think it's the pink hair really, that and the earring (or is it a hair tie? Either way it's sparkly) that you see. Plus names ending in an a are usually female (Andrea is a male name in Italy but I don't know of any others).

You've got some good mons there! I used a Ponyta in my Ultra Sun playthrough so I know it can be good. I still have Flame Wheel on my lvl 100 Rapidash. Smart Strike is a good TM for it to have if your team has trouble with Fairy types but you wouldn't be able to get it for a while. Best of luck with the challenge!

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
@Resolute Thanks! Yeah, they are pretty common. But whether it lasts you'll indeed find out.

@Quoake Eh, you'll find out how they fare down the road!

@Vesphira Thanks! And I've gone on about how Nuzlockes sometimes haven't felt too tough for me in recent times, so you're right, you'll find out if this turns out difficult or not!

@AuburnEnigma Thanks! Ponyta isn't one used much, but it is nice. And I honestly wonder why Smart Strike is a TM when SO FEW can actually make use of it. :P
As for my question, I never really thought he was female myself. I mean, he didn't look it to me despite the pink hair, never really got it either.

Well, onto the next part! Hope I don’t fall too behind in getting these out, but I digress! Enjoy.
Last time, Eres arrived in Hau’oli City and was invited to her first trial. But she has a bit of a way to go before she reaches that point!

So the first thing for me to do was take to Route 2 and get my encounter there, which turned out to be an Ekans that jumped me. It had Intimidate, and Bigshot would tread carefully, but she got poisoned and Intimidated. Thankfully I caugh the Ekans before it could use Wrap and make things scarier. As I sent it out into the ether…

A Froakie. I already have a Water-type, but I do like Froakie. I decided I would name it Kermit because why not. After attending to Festival Plaza, I made my way through a couple trainers, neither of which were tough and they gave Kermit some EXP. Then Crabrawler was dragging us to the left, so we could check out Big Wave Beach! …Right after we dealt with a Surfer who had a Delibird whose Present didn’t want to harm Kermit. And got him to Level 10.

At Big Wave Beach, the female Swimmer there told us the gist about Mantine Surf, but decided we weren’t quite ready for it, in that we’d have to be up there with the kahuna before that. So we had to be on our way out… But then Team Skull showed up again! They wanted to do some surfing, but she wasn’t having any of it. And why, you ask?

When I first saw this, I literally laughed so hard. But it’s truth in talk. I mean, these guys are banned from Mantine Surfing not because they’re part of a mafia group, but because they’re reckless. WHAT. The Team Skull grunts didn’t care, though, and tried to get to the Mantine. As she used the word “numskulls” like almost every time Team Skull is in this game, I had to save Mantine. Pouncer easily killed their Drowzee and they ran off. She thanked me and gave me a Fresh Water, once again restating that once I’ve beaten Hala they’ll be ready for me once again.

But while I’m here, I had to get my encounter in the Sandy Cave, which was a Psyduck. As I caught that, it went off into the ether for a Luvdisc, which not only does it fall under Vermin Clause, but it was over-leveled. So I allowed myself to send it back.

And in its stead was a Buneary. Alright, that’s cool. I decided its name would be Hairball. I decided to leave it behind for now, though, as it could be a bit hard to use while I can’t get its happiness up quickly.

There was also the Hau’oli Cemetery, and my encounter there was a Murkrow, which isn’t good considering how tough these things can be to catch. Yet I managed to do so thanks to Kermit paralyzing it with Lick, and Marvel hanging on to survive its attacks. Despite it burning through my good balls, a regular Poké Ball was what caught it in the end. And as I sent it off, I got a Fletchling in return. BUT… I allowed myself to send that back because SPOILER, it was something I had just used earlier this year in another -Locke I had done. And it was over-leveled, anyway.

And with THAT I got a Sableye, which is neat. I decided its “name” would be Gemstoner. I would then throw it on the team over Horsea for right now. As far as the trainers in the cemetery went, the only one worth talking about was the one with the Pikachu, and even that wasn’t tough when it wasted time using meaningless stat drops and I hit away at it with Night Shade.

The only other thing worth mentioning as far as trainers go was a Gentleman with a Murkrow that had a Full Restore to heal it up. Bigshot took it, but was brought to her Berry Juice and had a critical hit scored against her. And I learned about berries and how to farm them. And we saw the Ultra Recon Squad again, as they were under the belief that what awaits in Verdant Cavern is connected to the Blinding One, aka Necrozma.

At the PMC, Hau aided me in learning about Roto Powers and the Roto Loto. Which, if I haven’t already said, the only Roto Powers I can use are ones that can be used outside of battle. Roto Boost, Catch, etcetera, those are off-limits, but Roto Exp. Points, Roto Friendship, those I can blast to my heart’s content. But then it was time to enter the Verdant Cavern and begin the trial of Ilima!

The goal was to defeat the three Pokémon that lurked in their dungeons! I used my two Rock-types to defeat the two Rattata, and then had to play a game of cat and mouse with another Pokemon that was prowling in the burrows and being elusive. Along the way there was TM31 for Brick Break, which I gave to Gemstoner for what’s ahead. After some scrambling, we found Team Skull!

Yeah, who were they? They challenged me, and thanks to Lick paralyzing, Kermit took their Drowzee with ease. They warned me of what was ahead and tried to discourage me from going further in, but they wanted to catch it for themselves.

But for now there was one more Pokémon to deal with, a wild Raticate. Clinger’s Dragon Rage took care of it with ease. The trial guide stepped aside and allowed me to move forward into the Totem’s den! There was a Z-Crystal on the pedestal, and as I reached out to take it… Well, you know how this movie goes, when you take the thing from its position a bunch of traps come out and try to kill you.

So this trap would be… Totem Raticate! Making a dynamic backflip, the battle was on!

As the Totem Aura boosted its Defense, I led off with Pouncer, even though I had two other answers that literally could dinger this fight like nothing. It opened with Super Fang, which wasted my Berry Juice to get me to full, as I used Sand-Attack on it before it called its ally Rattata. Raticate's Bite did a little less than half and I flinched, and Rattata used Tail Whip. I tried to switch out, but Rattata used Pursuit and killed Pouncer.

*imitates UrinatingTree* Well then!

I brought in Gemstoner, and Raticate used Bite for less than 1/3 and Rattata used Pursuit for a light hit. Brick Break failed to OHKO Raticate.

Who then missed with Bite and Rattata used Pursuit which got me to my Oran Berry, allowing me to OHKO the Rattata with Brick Break. Raticate used Bite to get me to 1/3 before Brick Break finished it and got two levels for Gemstoner. Who would learn Detect.

So Ilima showed up, congratulated me, and allowed me to take the Normalium Z for myself. I can’t say I’m that great of a trainer when I do things like this… x_x Nevertheless, I took the Z-Crystal.

And he showed me the pose for Normalium Z. He then gave me some Great Balls and healed me up, then invited me back outside.

Well, it shouldn’t have been tough but no, I made it tough. Along the way, the Ultra Recon Squad were there and talked about how they’ve realized that I’m independent. Well, you need your Pokemon in this thing, no?! They introduced themselves as Phyco and Soliera and talked of how they were investigating Z-Crystals. After they left, I got my encounter – a Noibat. It got Kermit rather low, but I caught it and sent it into the ether in exchange for a Trubbish, but it was Level 28 and I couldn’t keep it.

In THAT place was a Pichu. Alright, I’ll take that! I “named” it Supervolt. After attending to Festival Plaza, I left the cavern and Ilima used his magic to make the barricade go away, and Kukui showed me about Z-Powers and then told me to help him look for Lillie on Route 3. We’ll do that later, but first I had to say goodbye to my first death. Already.

I decided to add my newest obtain to the team, even with it not being ready for battle. This is where I’m gonna have to leave this off.

QotD: Favorite trial captain from these games?
  • WT: Route 2: Ekans > Froakie “named” Kermit
  • Dealt with Team Skull at Big Wave Beach and learned more about Mantine Surf.
  • WT: Sandy Cave: Psyduck > overleveled Luvdisc > Buneary “named” Hairball
  • Beat the trainers on Route 2 and Hau’oli Cemetery.
  • WT: Hau’oli Cemetery: Murkrow > overleveled Fletchling > Sableye “named” Gemstoner
  • Went through the trial of Ilima in Verdant Cavern, including beating Totem Raticate.
  • Death: Pouncer the Rockruff / Died from Pursuit from Totem Raticate while at 21/36 HP and trying to switch out.
  • WT: Verdant Cavern: Noibat > overleveled Trubbish > Pichu “named” Supervolt. Immediately added it to the team.
“Marvel”, Level 12
States: 40, 35, 23, 27, 22, 33
Moves: Confuse Ray, Defense Curl, Rollout, Tackle

(F) “Bigshot”, Level 12
Stats: 34, 30, 19, 23, 18, 29
Moves: Ember, Growl, Tackle, Tail Whip

(F) “Clinger”, Level 12
Ability: Sand Veil
Stats: 38, 25, 17, 18, 19, 15
Moves: Dragon Rage, Outrage, Sand Attack, Tackle

(M) “Kermit”, Level 13
Ability: Torrent
Stats: 37, 20, 16, 25, 17 29
Moves: Bubble, Growl, Leer, Quick Attack

(M) “Gemstoner”, Level 14
Ability: Stall
Stats: 40, 30, 29, 22, 28, 20
Moves: Astonish, Brick Break, Detect, Night Shade

(F) “Supervolt”, Level 1
Ability: Static
Stats: 11, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6
Moves: Charm, Thunder Shock
Money: 37404P
Alola Pokédex: 19 Registered
Time: 3:57

Normalium Z – Obtained in Part 3 / Pokémon used:
(F) “Pouncer”, Level 1 – 11
Stats: 36, 23, 17, 12, 16, 22
Obtained and added to party in Part 1, Died in Part 3
Cause of death: Died from Pursuit from Totem Raticate while at 21/36 HP and trying to switch out.
As our first death, I don’t even know why I threw you out in that battle to begin with. It’s a shame because there was so much you could have done in these early stages but I forced this onto myself. It’s a tragic shame you couldn’t pounce further than you got to.
Title reference: “Burdened” replacing the word “Verdant”, because, well, we’ve left this battle a little burdened, haha.
It should go without saying that I’m not thrilled with how I played this. I thought, “ah, I should try to make this interesting”, especially since Sableye and Gible were both team members that I had a feeling would be used for a lot of niche purposes at this stage. And it didn’t exactly pay off. Well, there goes my great Rockruff that could’ve been even greater as a Lycanroc. I do have another (less overhyped) Rock-type, though, so I guess that’s okay at least, but still, losing a great Pokemon with a great move for this stage in the game is very disappointing. It is sad. And now I'm stuck with a Pichu that I don't want to evolve until Level 13. Well, you’ll see what we find up ahead.
We’ll head down there through Route 3 next time. Thanks for reading!

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
Shame you lost Pouncer, Pursuit can be a real pain when you're trying to get out of a bad matchup. Still, I haven't seen a Minior used before so it'll be interesting to see how Marvel gets on.

QOTD: Hmm, I think I'd have to go with Sophocles as he seems the most developed and I like the friendship between him and Molayne. Plus he's a title challenger so he's a pretty good trainer too.

tacobowler

Junior Trainer
Time Zone
US Central
Good to see you doing another challenge! I haven't played them enough to have a favorite trial captain, but I plan to remedy that soon! Are you allowing z moves at all?

Mudkip_Mishchief

Goodbye
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Carson, Mudkip
IGN
bbop
Wow, super cool Scott! I really like your presentation style and how you used lost of images to liven it up. I'll definitely keep my eye on this.

PIKMANZ Forever

Pikmin-Obsessed Nerd/Geek Guy.
AKA
Alex.
This is a really neat playthrough! Rip Pouncer tho.

Also, qotd: I don't really care for the captains. So can I choose Nanu? (...fine. Lana I guess.)

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Looks good so far. A shame your Rockruff went down.
I wonder what other things you'll get from Wonder Trade.

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
@AuburnEnigma Yeah it's not pleasant, feels like the worst possible things that could happen did. Marvel should do good in its stead, though!

@tacobowler Thanks! This generation was kinda slept on it feels like. x_x And yes I am going to be allowing Z-Moves.

@Mudkip_Mishchief Great to have you here! Hope you continue to like what's ahead. :D

@PIKMANZ Forever Thanks! I did like Nanu for the whole police officer thing even if he doesn't do that much in the big picture. :P

@Greninjaman Thanks! Glad you're liking it. And yeah sucks to be out a potential great team member so early x_x
As for me, I think Sophocles is my personal favorite. Kinda ties into how he and Molayne are complete nerds. xD I remember how in Aquablade11's blind Sun Nuzlocke he talked about liking those characters for that very reason.

But now on with the next part! Enjoy.
Last time, Eres obtained her first Z-Crystal in her first Totem battle, but it didn’t come without price, as she already had her first death. Can she move forward on Route 3?

That was where I headed, and immediately my encounter was a Mankey. Not very hard to catch, especially after burning it. I sent it into the ether, and I ended up with another overleveled Luvdisc, which I sent back…

And in its place was a Wingull. I decided its name would be Crate. After taking care of FP, I went through trainers, wanting to get Supervolt’s levels up. She gained some against a Rising Star’s Psyduck that Clinger handled, and another with a Cottonee that Bigshot took. I also got a Soothe Bell from a breeder later down the route. But then it was time for Melemele Meadow. Lillie was there and watched Nebby go into the Seaward Cave by itself! We had to follow it.

And Rotom activated Roto Exp. Points, which would be great if I didn’t have a Pokémon to catch! That encounter would be a Metapod, which I caught and (after killing a wild Petilil) sent into the ether.

In its place appeared an Alolan Sandshrew. I decided its name would be Igloo. Not bad, but it certainly won’t help for what’s soon ahead!

Then we took to Seaward Cave. Fun fact, in the original you literally can go the entire game without going in here, but here in Ultra you have to, to follow Nebby. I know that when I first played the original I missed this location, and by extention the Expert Belt that’s inside here. And I’m sure many did, too. But I digress! My encounter was a Delibird, one that caused problems with calling for help. I killed its companion and caught it, and what would I get in exchange for it?

A Litten. Alright, that’s pretty cool. I decided its name would be Red Rover. But then we had the Ultra Recon Squad to meet with!

They wanted to learn more about Pokémon and their special Poké Balls, since they now had a Pokémon from the region themselves. I do like how this one mentions that they’re testing out the Poké Ball that they’ve got on their hands, haha. Soliera had a Furfrou! And I’m just gonna save you the deets on this battle and say that thanks to Gemstoner being a Ghost-type, it was completely shut out, even though it lowered my Attack and accuracy. Free levels for the entire team. They left, talking about how Nebby can create holes when threatened. Ones that leave paths open for dangerous beings?! Hm. :thinking:

So I found the Expert Belt and the Never-Melt Ice, which was all there was to see here before getting back to Nebby. I left the cave with it and brought it back to Lillie. She thanked me, talked about Oricorio for a bit, and had to put the little trickster away.

As we left, Hau caught up to us outside the entrance to the meadow, and had bested his trial. He challenged me to battle. And there wasn’t much to say here either – Clinger literally OHKO’d all three of his team members with Dragon Rage. Kukui showed up after and reminded me that I have a grand trial ahead of me, which is down at Iki Town and awaiting. There are a few more matters, first, though. After Kermit beat an easy Growlithe courtesy of another Rising Star…

It evolved into Frogadier! But it was rather high level at this point. I will say though, I really like Frogadier. One of my personal favorite middle stages of the starters. THEN we had an infamous opponent, however.

This guy, who’s infamous for his Butterfree. He started with a Slowpoke that Gemstoner treaded through, as my Night Shade did decent and I had to endure three turns of Water Gun, including a critical hit.

The screenshot you see here was after Gemstoner woke up. Astonish was able to kill him after another hit, despite him using Yawn again. Gemstoner then learned Shadow Sneak over Astonish, which, yes please. Then we had the Butterfree. I would stay in and use Detect to block his first Silver Wind before falling asleep. Marvel then took a Silver Wind for less than 1/3, before he then propped my Oran Berry and got me once again above half. After Defense Curl, and another Silver Wind, Rollout easily OHKO’d him and got both Marvel and Gemstoner to Level 17. For my troubles, he gave me TM19 for Roost, which is pretty good.

It was then time to get my guys up for Hala. With some of my team on the over-leveled side I wanted to get my backups in good shape, too. Unfortunately, training Inklet took a southward turn when a Caterpie called upon a Butterfree…

Which scored a critical hit Gust and got me within KO range of a Bug Bite. Which the Caterpie had used the first turn. Calls upon Butterfree, uses Bug Bite twice, and Butterfree scores a critical hit. What are those odds. Awful. Just awful. So I had to say goodbye to yet another Pokémon that I wanted to last.

With that, I knew it was time for me to go in and face Hala. Heading back to Iki Town, Kukui showed me to him, and suggested me make good use of Flying and Psychic-type attacks. I do have something else, though! I gave my Oran Berries and entered the battle.

It was time for the first Grand Trial, against the kahuna, Hala! Broadcasting that I had met with Tapu Koko and wanted to see my team’s full power, it was on.

As he opened with Machop, I began the battle with Clinger. I used Dragon Rage, and he had 1/3 or so left but he used Revenge…

Which got the OHKO without a critical hit. I brought in Kermit and Water Pulse finished him.
Makuhita was next. I had to stay in, and he used Fake Out for 10 HP. Water Pulse did okay, around 30%, before he used Sand-Attack. I then switched Bigshot into another. I then used Growl in the face of another Sand-Attack.

I got in another Growl before he used Arm Thrust for three hits and 9 HP in total. I hit with Flame Wheel to get him below half, as he used Arm Thrust for 9 more HP. I used Flame Wheel again to get him near 1/4… And it burned him. He then used Sand-Attack again. I switched in Kermit again… As he used a Full Heal.

And then he used a Super Potion to heal to full before Water Pulse did around 1/3. I used another for roughly the same amount before being met with another Sand-Attack. I then had my first miss of the battle before being hit with another Sand-Attack. Water Pulse didn't finish him…

But he got confused and finished himself.
Lastly was Crabrawler. Having put this off to this point, I brought out Gemstoner, who caused his Z-Move to fail.

After two usages of Leer and two usages of Night Shade, he was below half. Pursuit did less than 1/3, and after another Night Shade, Shadow Sneak did him in for the win.

Well, that was it. Hala commended me for the result, and gave me the Fightinium Z to honor my victory. Eres did her victory pose, even though I didn’t feel like celebrating myself. He showed me the pose for it, and gave me the Grand Trial stamp to commemorate my first one. Pokémon and people are made up of what is seen and what isn’t… Darn if I know what that means!

And that Tauros showed up again. After a bit of adjustment, Hala gave me the Ride Pager and registered Tauros to it. Question, though… Why must we be stuck with this stupid Riding Wear?! Not a fun thing to look at when you’re going about!!! Can they at least make it adjustable?!?! Ilima commended me for winning without my Z-Power… Even though I had nothing to use it with. Hala suggested me take note of what’s lower on Route 1, and Kukui gave me TM54 for False Swipe, which might be a help for catching down the road. And Hau had an idea for me, to go to the Alola Photo Club. Maybe later. First, I have business to take care of!

But not all of it is happy business. So I would then say goodbye to Clinger. Despite the disheartening result, I knew I had to press onward.

I decided to add Igloo to the team, now that the Fighting-type trial is no more, in the hopes that it will do something good. Maybe. But this is where I’ll have to leave this off.
QotD: Favorite form of Oricorio?
  • WT: Route 3: Mankey > Luvdisc > Wingull “named” Crate
  • Beat the trainers on Route 3.
  • WT: Melemele Meadow: Metapod > Alolan Sandshrew “named” Igloo
  • WT: Seaward Cave: Delibird > Litten “named” Red Rover
  • Dealt with the Ultra Recon Squad in Seaward Cave, saved Nebby, and then Clinger swept Hau.
  • Evolution: Kermit > Frogadier after beating Rising Star Joshua’s Growlithe
  • Other notable moments: Ace Trainer Makana’s Slowpoke got Gemstoner low, but it toughed out three hits, including a critical hit Water Gun, to 3HKO with Night Shade followed by two hits of Astonish.[/u]
  • Death: Inklet the Horsea / Bug Bite from a wild Caterpie while at 4/30 HP, after a critical hit Gust from a Butterfree while at 26/30.
  • Beat Hala in a fight that was pretty difficult everything considered.
  • Death: Clinger the Gible / OHKO’d by Revenge from Hala’s Machop after it was hit with a Dragon Rage.
  • New addition to team: Igloo the Alolan Sandshrew
“Marvel”, Level 17
States: 52, 48, 30, 36, 30, 46
Moves: Ancient Power, Confuse Ray, Defense Curl, Rollout

(F) “Bigshot”, Level 15
Stats: 41, 37, 22, 28, 21, 35
Moves: Ember, Flame Wheel, Growl, Tail Whip

(M) “Kermit”, Level 17
Ability: Torrent
Stats: 50, 27, 23, 38, 25, 47
Moves: Growl, Lick, Quick Attack, Water Pulse
(M) “Gemstoner”, Level 17
Ability: Stall
Stats: 47, 35, 34, 26, 33, 24
Moves: Brick Break, Detect, Night Shade, Shadow Sneak

(F) “Supervolt”, Level 12
Ability: Static
Stats: 27, 15, 12, 14, 13, 23
Moves: Charm, Sweet Kiss, Tail Whip, Thunder Shock

(M) “Igloo”, Level 1
Ability: Slush Rush
Stats: 12, 6, 6, 4, 5, 6
Moves: Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear, Metal Claw, Night Slash
Money: 43040P
Alola Pokédex: 25 Registered
Time: 5:14

Normalium Z – Obtained in Part 3 / Pokémon used:

Fightinium Z – Obtained in Part 4 / Pokémon used:
(F) “Pouncer”, Level 1 – 11
Stats: 36, 23, 17, 12, 16, 22
Obtained and added to party in Part 1, Died in Part 3
Cause of death: Died from Pursuit from Totem Raticate while at 21/36 HP and trying to switch out.
As our first death, I don’t even know why I threw you out in that battle to begin with. It’s a shame because there was so much you could have done in these early stages but I forced this onto myself. It’s a tragic shame you couldn’t pounce further than you got to.

(M) “Inklet”, Level 1 – 12
Stats: 30, 17, 23, 20, 12, 23
Obtained and added to party in Part 1, Died in Part 4
Cause of death: Bug Bite from a wild Caterpie while at 4/30 HP, after a critical hit Gust from a Butterfree while at 26/30.
There were things you could have done down the road. But in the end, that Butterfree came from nowhere and made a sudden ink mess out of you.

(F) “Clinger”, Level 1 – 15
Stats: 45, 30, 24, 22, 23, 18
Obtained and added to party in Part 2, Died in Part 4
Cause of death: OHKO’d by Revenge from Hala’s Machop after it was hit with a Dragon Rage.
With so much early power, I had a lot of hope for you to make the push for us, but you were overwhelmed and clung onto too hard.
Well this was not a fun part to sit through. While Sableye could have literally gone through both Machop and Makuhita single-handedly, that would have gotten him rather high leveled and I didn’t want that. There really wasn’t a lot I could have done against that. And I’m out two potential greats early on, which sucks. But at least now that I have Tauros, I can get Supervolt’s happiness up to get her to become a Pikachu. And not helping is being out Horsea, I mean those were some outrageous odds, I was stunned by what had happened, and after that there was no point in still training it so I just went in for Hala and I didn’t have the results I had hoped. :\ Well, hopefully Alolan Sandshrew will do good for what’s ahead, even if it’s kinda fragile those resistances might be good.
Anyway, next time we’ll check out some side stuff before we make our way onto the next island. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
What a turbulent chapter! But I'm very excited to see Kermit, I'm a huge fan of Frogadier. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Gemstoner, who seems to be doing amazingly so far! Good luck against Lana's trial!

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
Jeez the AI is really not a fan of yours at the moment.... man, that sucks. At least you have a decent replacement for Inklet in Kermit, whilst Clinger might be more difficult but Gemstoner has powerhouse potential (I know Sableye is a Poke that I struggle with sometimes).

I'm guessing you've got another encounter in Ten Carat Hill to come, plus I think you can get the Flying Z-Crystal there as well (not that it helps at the moment of course). Best of luck :)

QOTD: Seeing as I used to be a cheerleader when I was younger, I'll have to go with Pom-Pom style, it's just too cute.