TV/Movies Everything Disney!

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
Pixar has made many interesting movies and shorts. Which ones are your favorites? What do you think of the studio as a whole? Do you believe in the Pixar Theory and what do you make of it? You can answer these questions or talk about anything related.

Some of my favorites are the Toy Story saga, Coco, and Up. I also loved A Bug's Life and The Incredibles, but it seems like since then, Pixar has made even greater and more ambitious movies. Inside Out was nice, but maybe a little more flat, partly because the concept of the movie was to have at least generally static emotions running around your head.

I personally find the Pixar Theory fascinating, but don't feel that much of a need to connect everything together, since the connections, if they exist, aren't super relevant to the plot. Except maybe the connections between The Incredibles and Monsters Inc.

And something I love about Pixar is how they are not afraid to explore new things. Kind of a contrast with Disney, which despite the movies being beautiful, in general they are adaptations of stories that already exist, and even more so with the live action remakes.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
I want to discuss this new fad of making everything live action. Ok, at first it was cute, and have to admit some movies were well made and brought a bit of newness to the movie. Like Aladdin. But come on, is Disney going to remake every animated movie they have ever made?
Sigh

What's your opinion on them? Any you have liked more or less? Any you are excited to see remade?

Solar

Loog Noog Supreme
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
About a decade ago live action Disney remakes were all everyone talked about and wanted. I saw fake whisperings about live action Little Mermaid staring Zac Effron as early as 2006. Beauty and the Beast was among the biggest hopefuls. Then they came, and now people act like they never wanted them in the first place, which is just untrue.

The surplus of the films they're producing is fair criticism. I think there should have been a much larger break between these projects, but the problem is this what Disney thought everyone wanted. Because they did. The current mindset of Disney corporate seems afraid of losing momentum, kind of like how they're treating the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Leave people leaving the theaters ready to come back in a few months. I don't think they need to do this, but there's a large quantity of Disney fans who are loving the frick outta all of this. I'm included.

Also something else people forget is that Disney movies have been re-releasing in theaters since the dawn of time. Literally the dawn of time. Go ask an older relative what year they saw their favorite Disney film in theaters and I'll bet anything you it wasn't the year it came out. Before home video, these films were classics to be treasured and Disney made BANK on re-releasing them into theaters for new audiences to experience. They continued to do this for decades in many forms, as late as 2011 with the original Lion King re-releasing in 3D. These live action remakes are that, they are re-releasing their films, but this time around they decided to reinvent it a little bit and give people something new.

The entire Disney brand is nostalgia. It always has been. I don't think most obsessive Disney fans are surprised by the remakes, everyone is just critical of the remakes themselves. But your favorite Disney classic isn't going anywhere. In fact, isn't it interesting how every remake is followed by a Blu-Ray re-release of the original animated film? Hmmmm.

Anyway I'm a Disneyologist this is my passion.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
You're right, the problem isn't that the movies are being remade, the problem is how they are being remade.

Going back to before live action remaking was really a thing. We had two gorgeous movies. One was 101 Dalmatians. The other one was Peter Pan. Like I said, they we're gorgeous and magical. I even prefer the live action version of Peter Pan to the animated one. The characters really had emotion. The dogs on 101 Dalmatians never spoke, but they never needed to. The movie was realistic and it was fabulous. I think the reason why is because the actors and producers cared about these movies. They cared about how the story was told. I mean, the little details like how Roger was thrown into a lake because Pongo wanted to run towards Perdite? Well, I forget the details, but the magic was there, and the soul was there.

And that's what the new LAs are starting to lack. SOUL. Dumbo was great. They added a whole new phase to the movie. You have enough old elements to satisfy nostalgia and new elements that you don't feel like you're watching the exact same movie but with a new skin? But there are some movies that just don't need a live action, or that the live action didn't have a soul. The Lion King was very pretty. Beautiful, even. But it's like if you went to the theater and the scenary and costumes and makeup and the actors all were beautiful and compelling, but then the acting was flat. No real emotion. That's what The Lion King was, at least to me. And I guess what worries me more is that Disney is making things with lower effort and we're still consuming it, and so they'll continue making these movies with their new awesome technology but fail to give a soul to the movie because they no longer care about how they tell the story as long as they tell it.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your view, Solar. I appreciate having a different perspective to mine c:

Diarkia124

Master of Jacks
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Andrew
IGN
Andrew
I watched Disney Channel from 2006 to like 2010. Does that count for Disney?