Evolution Trade Forum Game - Round 1 Started, Observation Allowed!

FragsBunny

Rookie Trainer
What’s up, everyone? I am announcing sign-ups for a new and exciting kind of game – the Evolution Trade game! Let me explain how it is going to work.

Each of you will be given 3 Pokemon. All Pokemon that would be given to players are Pokemon that can evolve either through trading or by using an evolution-inducing item – (examples: Kadabra, Eevee, Onix). You Pokemon will also start with help items that are related to evolution but cannot be used by them at all (example: Everstone, Leaf Stone, Magmarizer). All other participants will start with a same condition as you.

The objective of this game is to evolve your Pokemon by trading them with other players. In addition to that, you also need to have your original Pokemon with you by the moment the timer of your challenge ends. Why that is so important, considering that return trades are common in Pokemon games? Well, that’s because of a special rule that I’ve included in this game:

You can only trade with each other player once.

So in order to get your newly-evolved Alakazam back, you (player A) need to trade your Kadabra to player B in order to evolve. Then, Player B trades Alakazam to Player C, who in turns trades your Pokemon back to you. Scores are awarded to each player in the following manner:
  • 1 point for Pokemon evolved one stage
  • 1 additional point for Pokemon evolved another stage or holding a Mega Stone
  • 1 point for each of your own starting Pokemon in party by the end if the game, assuming that they have been traded several times before being returned to you
Let’s say that you’ve ended with a Alakazam (holding an Alakazite), Flareon and Clefable.
  • You earn 3 points for having your own traded Alakazam, evolved and holding a Mega Stone
  • You earn 1 point for having an Eevee, evolved into Flareon (and 1 additional point if the Pokemon was traded before being returned to you).
  • You earn 1 point for having an evolved Clefable that you do not own.
Likewise, if game ends with you having all your own Pokemon in party, but they are not evolved or not traded, you will NOT gain any points. Aim to earn at least 6 points – by having 3 of your Pokemon being traded, evolved and safely returned to you (2 for each Pokemon). Some Pokemon, such as Alakazam mentioned before, award you up to 3 points.

When the game starts, each player will only see their starting Pokemon and the items that they hold. You can exchange held items between your Pokemon in any way you want. An item cannot be traded to another player on its own. It must be traded along with a Pokemon that is holding the item (although trading a Pokemon without an item is still possible).

Information must be exchanged between players in both public and private chats. When two players want to start trade with each other, they must notify me in a Private message: (I want to trade my “Pokemon” holding an “item” to a “Player”). You will NOT be able to confirm the Pokemon or item being traded away by another player until the trade is actually finished, so take caution – you might receive not the thing that you were looking for. And of course, I need once again to remind you that you can only trade with each other player once. When two players complete a trade with each other, a respective notification will be given in public game chat.

Pokemon that can evolve through trade will evolve after being traded, unless they are holding an Everstone. An Evolutionary stone or a similar item can be used on a proper Pokemon at any moment once you have both in your possession. You must send me a Private message before doing so, such as "I want to evolve my Pokemon by using the Item" - because some Pokemon can evolve in different ways. You cannot evolve a Pokemon through "leveling" if their evolution does not require an item.

To make things even more challenging, a small minority of the players (up to 3) will be assigned as “Team Rocket” members. Their scoring after the game ends differs from others – instead of getting 1 addition points for a Pokemon they own, they gain 1 additional point for a Pokemon they do NOT own. Note that Team Rocket cannot earn extra points by getting Pokemon from each other – they need to end the game with non-Team Rocket Pokemon in order to gain their respective scoring bonuses. Normal players will NOT earn any points from a traded Pokemon at the end of the game if that Pokemon originally belonged to Team Rocket. Thus, you also need to be cautious with who you trade and identify Team Rocket members as early as possible.

Team Rocket with be the not only problem you might face. You might encounter cases where there won’t be enough evolutionary items available to all Pokemon. The opposite case can also apply, with some items being turned obsolete without any Pokemon available to use them. Thus, information is the key. It is also important how you would use that information, and how much information you would keep by yourself.

The maximum number of players available for sign-up – 15 players. Up to 3 players will be randomly chosen as Team Rocket members.

Once the first game gets finished, we might commence a second, even harder game – where players would start with 6 Pokemon each, and where they can battle each other on Pokemon Showdown with the teams that they have assembled after a trading game. The difficulty can be further increased by including Pokemon that cannot evolve at all (but still need to be traded for extra point) or by shortening the general supply of evolution-inducing items.

So, are you ready for the trading challenge? Accepting sign-ups… NOW!

Rainbow Rocket Grunt

Team Rocket Grunt
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Aimee, Lulu, LuluRina, Rina, ALL HAIL GIOVANNI!
Time Zone
GMT+11
IGN
Lulu
I'd like to sign up too, this seems interesting!

FragsBunny

Rookie Trainer
Your sign-ups are accepted. Keep in mind, that with just 3 players, you can only make (1+2) = 3 trades.

Need MOAR sign-ups! Bring your friends as well! With 15 players you can make (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14) = 106 trades in total!

Last edited:

FragsBunny

Rookie Trainer
I think you need a better understanding of this game before playing for real.

After accepting one more sign-up, the 5 players can play a "Practice Trading Game" in a separate thread that I'm planning to open soon (the sign-ups for the main game will be still open).

In practice game, all five players's Pokemon will be revealed to each other, along with their held items. You will be able to trade with each other without posting Private Messages to me (but using the same context). The restriction to trade with one different player each time still remains. You will have a limit of 10 possible trades in total (1+2+3+4), during which you need to evolve as many Pokemon as possible (the ownership and the number of points won't matter).

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I wanna sign up for the next round !

FragsBunny

Rookie Trainer
I would like to warn you beforehand - I will be abscent for a whole day due to being away in a different city.

The sign-ups will remain open and the Practice game should proceed as usual - the 5 players should be able to finish it on their own.

FragsBunny

Rookie Trainer
How many people actually have accounts on Discord?

What I am trying to say is that we can host the new game on both Marriland and Discord. Which one do you prefer?

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I am one with discord
Marriland works too though

FragsBunny

Rookie Trainer
A friend of mine from Discord, TeddyGarmon, also agreed to participate in the main game. With him included, we currently have 8 participants.

We're halfway through, just need 7 more sign-ups! I'll also open a new channel in Discord soon so that you can join in as well.

EDIT: We have a Discord channel now! Make sure to sign up there as well in order to let yourselved to know more about this game!

Last edited:

FragsBunny

Rookie Trainer
In the event that we would be unable to gather 15 players before the end of Friday (the day when the practice challenge ends), we will start with 8 players (including TeddyGarmon from Discord). One of those players will be a member of Team Rocket.

With 8 players around, you'll be limited to 28 trades in total, so consider this before we begin a new game. Ideally, I expect 10 players to be here before we can begin.

FragsBunny

Rookie Trainer
The Practice game is coming to the conclusion!

We will start Round 1 very soon! Currently we have 8 players ready for Round 1, but I recommend 10 players for best possible experience. Only one of those players will be randomly chosen as member of Team Rocket.