Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa

Today, the Pokemon Direct has announced there will be DLC with a ton new features a lot like the enhanced versions. Features including:
  • Brand new Pokemon: Kubfu (Fighting-type) that evolves into Urshifu (depending on version, it will be Fighting/Dark for Sword or Fighting/Water for Shield) and Calyrex (Psychic/Grass-type). There appear to be new Regis, one is shocking the other looks like a dragon.
  • Over 200 returning Pokemon (some include Garchomp, Lycanroc, many of the legendaries including everyone's favourite OU Pokemon Landorus, and the mascot itself Marill)! Doesn't require DLC to transfer them but a free update.
  • New Gigantax forms for the Galar starters, the two other Kanto starters, and Urshifu.
  • New Galar forms: Slowpoke and the legendary birds.
  • New characters: Mustard (mentor for Isle of Armor), Klara (a rival who specializes in Poison-types; Sword exclusive), and Avery (a rival who specializes in Psychic-types; Shield exclusive).
  • New clothing options; some available for pre-purchasing the pass.
  • New/returning features: Making Apricorn balls are back, EXP charm, and more.
  • It seems like there will be much more to come with this expansion pass, not just these.
  • Costs $30 USD.
What are your thoughts on this pass? Will you be getting them?

I think this is a good start for the series and I'd much rather have this over an enhanced version. It may seem like a slap in the face to release this with a price tag after I've found Sword unpolished and rushed but I'm slightly optimistic future expansions will eventually fix my issues with this game. I am hoping for more polish (i.e. fixing battle animations, textures, scaling, etc.) and more post game stuff such as Battle Frontier. Overall, it does look promising.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Beats a second version. Appears to be more substantial and cheaper.

Feels lukewarm about the revealed areas. Are they mostly an expanded Wild Area with move tutors? Is everything intended to be post-game? Wants to know how these affect a regular playthrough, if at all.

Completely indifferent towards all legendaries. Rarely uses them.

Would have preferred more focus on existing content than new areas. Lined Motostoke and Wyndon with potential shops. Reduced all of Spikemuth to a street (and no shops other than the Pokemon Center). Gave zero purpose to restaurants other than plot. Introduced locations like Hulbury's lighthouse and Route 3's power plant, then did nothing with them. Begin there, please.

Will probably still purchase it, despite the concerns.

juiccbox

local buffoon
AKA
Juice/Juice man
A lot of people I know had negative reactions to it, saying it should have been included in the base game. But honestly I’m really excited for the new areas, pokemon, characters, and Gigantamax forms. And I’m glad it’s just an add on rather than a sequel, because although BW2 were good sequels USUM were not...and honestly could’ve been add ons so I’m glad they did that. I’m excited for the new regis, they look really cool in my opinion.
Maybe I’m just a very easily impressed fan, who knows. I don’t defend gamefreak, but at least appreciate what we have. Pokemon’s never been a masterpiece series.

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Reading the comments showed me how entitled some fans of a franchise can be.
Thiss is more or less a half priced 2nd version. Even Masuda mentioned that.
We're getting 2 new areas, 200+ new Pokemon, and a lot more. Stop complaining. It's just getting annoying st this point.

But I honestly loved the presentation and I'm really excited to see what the new areas have to offer.
The new Legendaries look cool, the Galarian(?) Birds and Regis look pretty cool, and GMax Inteleon in on a sniper perch.
His Neutral B is Gun
And I like that you can trade the new National DeX mons if you dont want to pay the $30.
I'm really glad the Apricorns are back.
My favorite thing, though, is that Slowpoke is taking 6-9 months to be able to evolve.
It fits Slowpoke perfectly lol.

Wait...Slowpoke and apricorns were revealed at the same time...Kurt's gonna fall down another well, isn't h

• Hahah
Reactions: SAF

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
People can still have complaints about the game. The arguments so far doesn’t show entitlement, they show that they feel a game can be at X level but isn’t quite there yet. Especially when the reason given for not including some Pokémon in the first place was for balancing, just to add them in anyway later, meaning they could’ve been there from the start. So I feel it’s immature to just call people with criticisms entitled when their specific complaints were just that it excluded stuff for one reason just to completely backtrack on it.

That being said, I like the DLC as it extends the life of the game and gives them more time to make a game that more fans can be happy about. To me the worst things about the past few Pokémon games (aside from Delta Episode in ORAS) was the Post game content. X and Y tossed Zygarde in with all this lore of it being a balance in case Xerneas and Yveltal go sicko mode, just for it to...be there. And then Mewtwo was also just...there. And they recycled the legendary birds AGAIN.

I liked ORAS post game.

Sun and Moon had a good attempt with the Ultra Beasts but aside from Nihilego, they didn’t do much to actually incorporate them into the game. It’s just a mission with Pokeballs that give a huge catch rate boost to them.

USUM took the ORAS post game and called it the Ultra Worm Hole, as well as having the exact same Battle Tree from last game.

LGPE was Mewtwo. And if you for some reason went to the Rocket Hideout, could fight another Rocket Executive from G/S/C.

Sword and Shield was great in terms of the chase for Zacian/Zamazenta, but that was straight up all it was, as well as having a Battle Tower with less features than in SM/USUM.

So any DLC that gives us MORE is welcome in my eyes.

To me, Pokémon Games really had the best post game content in Platinum (and DP to a very slightly lesser extent), and HGSS.

Last edited:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
can be whatever
Since I don't have Switch in the first place (let alone SwSh), :audino: whether I should be excited or not. But still, for this being the first DLC in the main Pokemon games, gotta say that I'm impressed. I mean, remember when SwSh first came out? Back then, there were dataminers who managed to leak whatever weren't supposed to be out yet (:gmaxmelmetal:, :gmaxtoxtricity:, some past legendary Pokemon with "already available" models, etc.). Tbh I reckon that the DLC can be a good way to throw them off because things like Gigantamax starters (:venusaur:, :blastoise:, :cinderace:, :rillaboom:, :inteleon:), Kubfu line, Calyrex, new Regis, and more Galarian forms (:slowpoke: line and legendary birds) weren't available in the original Galar dex.

That's all for now. I might edit this upon getting more thoughts.