Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Henlo all! So basically, I have decided to enter my first draft league after seeing how fun is it many years ago. I wanted to enter last year's but I was working on a big project out of town for long hours. But anyways, despite feeling burnt out for some weeks, I still enjoyed participating in the battles and building counter teams.
GMax - Drednaw
S - Dragapult
A - Mamoswine
B - Salazzle
B - Silvally
B - Appletun
C - Scrafty
C - Escavalier
C - Aromatisse
C - Sigilyph
I got the 7th pick so almost in the middle of the draft and with me be slightly unfamiliar with the meta plus out of competitive for a while, I wasn't sure what G-Maxes were good. But anyways, I was debating between two mons but my first pick was Dragapult just because I loved using it in the Battle Tower. It's blessed with blistering speed, decent offenses, and a workable movepool which allows me to run a Choice Specs set, Dual Screens, Will-o-Wisp Hex, and more.

My second pick was Mamoswine because it has an amazing offensive typing backed with an impressive Attack stat. It also has access to Stealth Rock, Thick Fat, and priority in Ice Shard.

Continuing with fast mons, I've picked up Salazzle as my third pick. Despite no longer having Hidden Power, Salazzle is able to set up Nasty Plot and punish foes thanks to Corrosion Toxic and I've learned that drafting a Poison-type is good for absorbing Toxic Spikes.

My next pick was Silvally, an extremely diverse Pokemon that can be any type I was lacking or I can double up on a type if my opponent was weak to it. Additionally, it can act as my pivot with Defog as well as being a great wincon if I needed. Also has a workable movepool including a buffed Multi-Attack.

My next pick was actually going to be Primarina because it has a great offensive typing with a good movepool but unfortunately I was sniped; I immediately went to the Pokemon I wanted most, which is my personal favourite Pokémon Scrafty! Since my team was already fast, I felt I can afford to slow it down a bit and make it more bulky and Scrafty is able to boost its Speed if needed. Additionally, its movepool and its abilities are so colourful it can act like a utility Pokemon as well.

Now, my next pick was going to Heliolisk because it as a C tier is basically a steal but I got sniped so I've decided to continue to add more bulk and claim Escavalier. I needed a Steel-type and Esca is quite a nice one, despite its Speed it can act like a utility Pokemon or even a wallbreaker with Choice Band and Swords Dance. This does lead to my next pick...

Since Vaporeon was claimed already, I went with my Plan B option: Aromatisse. Because my team was offensive, I felt a lot of them will get worn down fast, especially since many of them do not have reliable recovery. Fairy is a solid defensive typing too.

My final C tier pick was Sigilyph simply because I wanted another Pokemon with Defog (with the bonus of being immune to hazards!) and it does have reliable recovery too. Also, it has decent offenses that can act like a wincon with Calm Mind.

To add more bulk, I picked Appletun because I wasn't sure how good it was as a Gmax (I'm thankful I picked the regular form) and it's great for reliable recovery and Leech Seed is nice too. Also, like Mamoswine, Thick Fat is excellent.

Finally, I picked Drednaw as a Gmax just to complete many type triangles I've built (Fire-Water-Grass, Rock-Flying-Fighting) and having another rocker would would be cool, or so I thought.

My naming scheme is Dragon Quest! I fell in love with the franchise when I was younger (13) after I picked up Dragon Warrior 3 and then I played Dragon Quest 9 when I was around 17. Fast forward to 2019, I preordered Dragon Quest 11 S over Pokemon Sword/Shield due to controversy and DQ genially looked much more polished and fun plus I wanted to play more DQ games. 11 was really enjoyable and that got me to play more; played 4, 8, 1, and now currently playing 2. If you are looking for an RPG, I cannot recommend DQ enough, it's SO good.
Wyrtle the Drednaw
Rashaverak the Dragapult
Sham Hatwitch the Mamoswine
Argon Lizard the Salazzle
AU-1000 the shiny Silvally
Appletun does not have a DQ name because I loved the :bounceybouncey: emote so much I cannot use it because no Nitro. Just pretend it had a Slime on its side.
Kandar the Scrafty (recent names are Robbin' 'Ood but I stuck with Kandar because of DW3)
Knight Aberrant the Escavalier
Weaken Beakon the Aromatisse (which I misspelled it as Weakon Beakon, whoopsie)
Winky the Sigilyph
Lost 0-2
Despite being rusty, I thought I played well but I felt I could have played better. Clicking Stonesurge when Seismitoad was around was foolish of me, I didn't Defog the Spikes away (which greatly weakened my Appletun and Dragapult), and let my Gengar check, Escavalier, get weakened.
Team
My first team was kind of basic vs a Rain team but I did have some specific EV spreads for some Pokemon. Aromatisse OHKOs Flygon and Dracovish with Moonblast with the rest of spread to increase bulk. Psychic was there purely for Toxicroak. Drednaw's spread I believe was to tank some of Gengar's hits and the Speed EVs are there to always outspeed Beartic. I think Silvally's speed always outspeeds Toxicroak while pouring the rest into Special Attack for power and HP for some bulk; Grass Pledge was purely for Seismitoad and I was tempted to bring Electric but I felt Steel was better for neutrality I guess. Timid Dragapult always outspeeding Scarf Dracovish is pretty insane.
Won 6-0
Gokey bringing neither Conkeldurr nor Mimikyu meant Scrafty had an easier time cleaving through his team as I could set up on either Claydol or Gourgeist.
Team
First thing I see with Gokey's team is I can win with Scrafty if I eliminate Conk, Mimikyu, and Blastoise so I just poured maximum Attack and Speed with an Adamant nature because Scrafty needs the Attack. Mamoswine's spread was weird and I kind of wished I brought Jolly with speed to outspeed Timid Toxtricity but instead I prepped for Max Knuckle Tox for some reason with leftovers in Speed. Ran Icicle Spear over Crash purely for the Mimikyu. Silvally was purely there to eliminate Conkeldurr, Obstagoon, and Malamar because the investment in Attack plus Fairy typing always KOs with Multi-Attack iirc. Tailwind was there to boost Mamo's Speed but I guess Psychic Fangs might have been better if I ran Jolly Mamo instead. I figured Shell Smash Blastoise was coming so I decided to run WP Appletun because +2 always KOs neutral Defense Blastoise and it can survive any SE hit. Dragapult and Escavalier are really good candidates for Choice items so I can easily overwhelm his team. Kind of wish I didn't run Max Speed Pult in retrospect.
Lost 0-4
I played well at the start but I sadly lost my patience and ended up losing the match because I left Mamo in vs Roserade and once Sand kicked in, Moxie got the momentum back. Props to Moxie for making a Spikes dominoes and amusing the participants!
Team
Most of these were max spreads because I was still slightly unfamiliar to custom spreads. Drednaw's spread was there specifically for Terrakion, always survive Banded CC and always outspeed Scarf in the rain. I guess I brought Tailwind for Cloyster perhaps? Don't remember.
Lost 0-4
This is moreso G-Darmanitan pressuring my team by weakening Silvally and afterwards, I didn't have much to punish Boss' team. I did clown when I sent Dragapult in the face of a Bronzong but overall well played by Buss!
Team
At that point, I decided to go with Elysium Bird for Aromatisse because they're both bird-like and can heal and both are pink.
Brought both of my Thick Fat users because Garm was scary and Superpower was purely for it. Apart from that, all max spreads because I didn't know what to EV my mons to; Aromatisse was mixed bulk because I thought it could be useful, idk.
Won 2-0
I wished I brought Aromatisse for Throh as Flo got it into a great position with it against my Mamoswine. It was almost a Salazzle sweep but Fire Blast accuracy goes brrrrrrrrrr (it was Kinsa dearrved ) and I wish I brought in Mamoswine when Morpeko was one the field instead of Escavalier.
Team
Again, mostly max spreads and iirc, Drednaw's Speed was there to always outspeed 0 speed Duraludon by 1 point. The team build to basically to apply offensive pressure to Flo's team. Brought Scarf Mamo to outspeed Duraludon and Morpeko.
Lost 0-4
Unfortunately, I got hyper aggressive and impatient that I ended up losing the game. Also, I forgot to take Scrafty to the Pokemon Center because it wanted a long nap.
Team
Apart from the max spreads, Sigilyph's spread was to always survive a hit from Gallade and OHKO with Air Slash if he clicked Knock Off, I'm think Scrafty's spread is the Def EVs are there to avoid getting 2HKO from unboosted Excadrill, KO Gallade with Knock Off after using Super Fang, Coba Berry was there to always survive a Max Airstream and KO it after I used Super Fang. Originally brought Mamoswine for scarf duty but Salazzle was much more faster and can also threaten Venusaur.
G-Max Drednaw ---> G-Max Kingler
Main reason is I felt Drednaw sucked my momentum and I didn't have any rain support for it whatsoever. I picked up Kingler because Sheer Force backed with an impressive 130 Attack was something my team needed as a nuke.
G-Max Kingler, a.k.a. Crabber Dabber Doo, joins Fafrir's Monster Team!
Lost 0-3
I felt I could have won if it weren't for hax that happened (2 crits on Aromatisse + Silvally getting para'd twice in front of Jirachi and it would have been dead). Despite this, we both played well.
Team
Brought Scrafty because I felt his team had a huge weakness to it, Intimidate > Shed Skin because it would have gave me some opportunity to sweep/wallbreak his team but if not it weakens his team's physical power. Speed EVs are there to outspeed Orbeetle at +1 if I could find the opportunity. Ran Jolly Kingler because at +2 it always outspeeds Scarf Heliolisk. Ran Scarf Dragapult over Specs because I feared he would have brought Scarf Haxorus and ruin my Pult. Hydro Pump was there for Incineroar and Mudsdale but I should have brought Thunderbolt instead for Lapras and Togekiss. Silvally's EVs always outspeeds and KOs Togekiss. I used Oblivious over Thick Fat because I didn't want Mamo to lose its Attack to Incineroar; also I brought it because like Scrafty, Calaf's team was weak to it. Aromatisse was there for cleric duty because Jirachi and Togekiss are the devil.
Won 3-0
Chris did a great job predicting my switches but I felt I was in the position to apply offensive pressure (i.e. Scrafty is free to spam Drain Punch since Dusclops cannot punish Scrafty) and pivot into a better position myself.
Team
Basically I decided to bring limited coverage and moves that lower stats because Ditto cannot punish. Scrafty has an incredible match-up against his team and because of my plan, I brought Choice Band because of its middling power and Shed Skin to not be fully crippled (normally, Banded Scrafty runs Intimidate but Falinks has Defiant and Foul Play doesn't KO Snorlax at +5). Foul Play was purely for Belly Drum Snorlax since he tends to bring that a lot. Both Appletun and Aromatisse's Speed are there to outspeed Quagsire. Gave Appletun a Roseli Berry because Primarina is a pain in the butt (as I have a Poison-type weak to Water and a Grass-type weak to Fairy). Brought Trick Room because if Chris TR'd and then BD Snorlax, it was pretty much game over. I also felt Will-o-Wisp + Hex Pult would be great since I was also bringing Toxic and Speed was to always outspeed Drakloak. Silvally's Speed always outspeeds non-scarf Rotom and Grass Pledge is purely for Quagsire.
Won 3-0
A snippet of Discord's reaction to me winning. [1, 2, 3]
First thing I noticed that Silvally was probably my most useless member so I had no problem switching it in to sack it so Dragapult can pressure the team. I don't think Acupuncture would have mattered if Croak got an attack or speed boost when I was pressuring it with Escavalier (was planning on sacking it because no Beartic):
+5 0 Atk Toxicroak Throat Chop vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Colbur Berry Sigilyph: 254-299 (82.2 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Also, I forgot to change my avatar to the Dragon Tamer. Whoopsie.
Team
This time, I brought Dragapult with enough Speed to always outspeed Scarf Vish and ran Spell Tag over Choice Specs because last time, Dragapult not switching up moves end game was a pain. The Special Attack EVs for Silvally are there to always 3HKO Ferroseed under rain as well as always outspeed Toxicroak. Sigilyph has enough speed to outspeed Toxicroak too and I equipped a Colbur Berry purely to survive +2 Sucker Punch. Brought the same Appletun set to always tank an Outrage from Dracovish and retaliate with Draco Meteor. Escavalier was purely for Gengar/Beartic. Ran zero STAB Kingler because I felt having only coverage was better.
Won 2-0
First things first, I'm glad my Aegislash lure a.k.a Scrafty worked. I felt I played decently but did expect to lose when Hat was around.
Team
Standard BU Scrafty except I ran Sassy to always underspeed Aegislash plus Chople Berry. Ran Specs Pult but Scald purely for Rhyperior and Centiskorch and with the bonus of crippling his physical attackers. Esca always underspeeds Hat and the Attack EVs OHKOs Inteleon with Megahorn. Silvally's Speed always outspeeds Rotom and I think the Attack always OHKO Hat. Banded Mamo is deadly against his team. Ran Sassy Aromatisse to potentially underspeed tie Hat.
G-Max Kingler ---> G-Max Toxtricity
I was on the fence picking Toxtricity earlier because I already had Salazzle but after doing some calcs and listening to a discussion about it, I felt it was the nuke I needed. Plus, I felt Kingler was going to be useless in my next matches. Having no Water-type kind of sucks but that's what Silvally is here for if I really needed it.
G-Max Toxtricity, a.k.a. Great Argon Lizard, joins Fafrir's Monster Team!
Lost 0-3
I was definitely overconfident Overdrive would have KO'd Grimmsnarl hence put me in an unfavourable position; if anything I should have clicked Sludge Wave especially since Steelix was gone. I probably might have won if I knocked out Grimmsnarl and won with Sigilyph. Oh well.
Team
Obviously, have to bring in Tox because its power can break through Scott's team and Speed EVs were there for max Speed Grimmsnarl. Brought Appletun with Rocky Helmet because it was pretty much my only Darmanitan "switch-in" (haha, I had none). Dragapult's speed it to purely outspeed Noivern if he wasn't running Scarf. Mamoswine had a solid match-up and I could get rocks up if I needed too. Since I didn't bring Aromatisse, I brought Steelvally as a Noivern switch-in, Defogger, and pivot. Finally, I thought having a wincon in Sigilyph would be cool as I could prolly stall out Mew and Jellicent.
Won 2-0
Played well overall but clowned when I left Escavalier vs Copperajah (I wish I just switched into Appletun or Silvally) and almost lost due to Freeze because of this.
Team
Jarrod's team I felt was one of those teams I can easily see any of my team members fitting in and doing extremely well. Mamoswine, Salazzle, Sigilyph, and Scrafty were all originally in my rough drafts but once I did some thinking, I felt Scrafty was the weakest link because his team is flooded with Fairy-types and Sawk. After some thinking, I felt Mamoswine and Salazzle were only really good against Copperajah (I guess the latter is fine against Vikavolt, Rime, and Fairies) and I felt Aromatisse was better than Sigilyph because of Wish Passes. Toxtricity's spread was to always outspeed Max Speed Grimmsnarl. Ran a Physically Defensive Appletun just for Copperajah and in case he brought Physical Arcanine; speed was there to always outspeed Gastrodon. Brought Earthquake because it always 3HKOs 252 HP Jah. Dragapult with Specs does massive damage against his team with Speed always outspeeding Scarf Rime. Aromatisse was Physically purely for Sawk but tanking hits from Rapidash and Grimmsnarl are nice bonuses. Wanted to run Swords Dance Escavalier because i'm tired of megahorn misses at +2 it OHKOs Copperajah and I can use it to set-up in front of Rapidash and Mr. Rime. Brought Lum Berry in case he brought Hypnosis Rapidash. The EV spread was modified from Smogon's Lure That Threat; always outspeeds 4 Spe Copperajah. Finally, I decided to run Water Silvally because I felt it's a great switch in to Copperajah with investment in defense; 40 Attack plus Adamant 3HKOs Jarrod's bugs.
Won 4-0
Still sad that Scrafty got KO'd by a critical hit because I felt that it was all over after that. Otherwise, it was me pretty much me panicking to try to stop Snorlax without Scrafty and rip open his team with Toxtricity and I somehow won.
Team
Similar team except I really wanted to use Bulk Up Scrafty because I can stall out Snorlax and I think if Ditto copied it I can beat it too. Ran a more Specially Bulky Aromatisse with Sassy in case he brought Trick Room again. Ran Tox > Salazzle because it just rips open his team (even Rhydon doesn't appreciate a Boomburst). Speed was there to always outspeed maximum Speed Primarina. Silvally was a little more Specially Defensive spread this time.
Won 3-0
I felt I've played a lot better, especially around Darmanitan. Basically, my plan was to make him lose a lot of momentum (i.e. force Alcremie to Recover) so I can bring in a Pokemon that can punish a switch. The only clown moment was when I just let Aromatisse get completely weakened from Toxic damage, oh well.
Team
I brought Scarf Salazzle purely to revenge kill Darmanitan with Speed to outspeed Scarf Cinccino. Aromatisse was fully invested in Defense to survive Darmanitan's onslaughts and Relaxed Nature was just there to neuter Gyro Ball's damage. I wanted to bring Physical Dragapult since I've always brought a Special set so I brought a Choice Band; Sucker Punch has a chance (in my favour) to OHKO Chandelure in case he brought a Scarf set and Steel Wing 2HKOs Alcremie. Had to dump most of the EVs in Speed purely to outspeed Ribombee. Had to bring Toxtricity since Boss has zero Electric resists and 200 Speed EVs plus a Timid Nature always outspeeds maximum Speed Barbaracle. Similar Silvally set except I poured the Attack into Defense to survive some hits, idk. Finally, I brought best pokemon, a.k.a. Scrafty, because it's great for utility and can also comfortably switch into Darmanitan. I was set for the three moves (Knock Off, Drain Punch, Super Fang) and I wasn't too sure what to have to the fourth slot; I thought Fake Out would be nice for chip and then Iron Head does roughly 40% to Alcremie but then I felt Snarl was better to weaken Alcremie and Chandelure and the like. Assault Vest allows Scrafty to tank Chandelure's hits better and the EV spread just allows Scrafty to act like a Darmanitan switch-in, Speed outspeeds Alcremie In case I wanted to weaken it more with Snarl and Super Fang shenanigans.
I got 5th with a record of 8-6 and with my rustiness and slight unfamiliarity with the Metagame, I didn't think I would make it this far. However, I got much more comfortable with my solid draft and started to get my rhythm back, which got me thus far and now I cannot give up.
My Draft's K/Ds thus far
Lost 0-1
I felt I played well pressuring his team but unfortunately I've lost Salazzle for no reason due to Overheat miss. In hindsight, I wished I crept Tox vs Milotic and I would have won.
Lost 0-3
This is more so me with a bad match-up vs Sun and Ben did well pressuring my team with Venusaur (rly wished I brought Scrafty here instead of the first game). Losing Appletun early most likely costed me the match however as it could have used it to switched into Ninetales.
Team 1
Initially, I saw no point in investing speed in Toxtricity so I just poured the EVs in HP for maximum bulk but I wasn't big brain enough to speed creep Milotic (tbh, I didn't know it got Mud Shot as I was confident it would have survived moves like Ice Beam and Scald). Snarl was there purely for Rotom since I don't see myself using Sludge Wave. Appletun was fully invested in Defense to survive attacks from Excadrill and Gigalith better. Ran Band Dragapult since that can pressure his team while always outspeeding his base 100s. Mamoswine was my Stealth Rocker in case I wanted Rocks on field. Went with Scarf Salazzle again in case Charizard went haywire. Finally, Scrafty is basically my utility mon with EVs to switch into Venusaur.
Team 2
Similar team except a Dragon Dance Dragapult with Speed to outspeed Excadrill under sand at +1 and KO it with Fire Blast. And brought Water Silvally with an Impish nature just to tank Excadrill's attacks easier.
And with that, I am finished with the MDL S3! Despite feeling burnt out in some weeks and just wanting it to end, I still had a desire to win this after I got into play-offs. I'm still proud of what I've achieved during this time and I've definitely learned a lot. Will I enter the next tournament? That's up in the air, maybe I will enter a standard tournament but I'm not sure if I will enter a draft league again because it is both energy draining and time consuming. We'll see. 👀

Thanks for reading and looking at my Dragon Quest Pocket Monsters! Also, thank you everyone for all these excellent games and the cheers, I've learned a lot and had fun! Good luck to the other participants too!

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Wow, you put a ton of effort into this! Very comprehensive. The illustrations are the icing on the cake!

Nick!

Big Gamer God
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Nick
ty for participating ashley it was very fun to have you around again in the comp side of things :)

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
That was really detailed, and nice seeing your thinking. Looked like a lot of fun!

Surprised you didn't post some of the sets you used, just being nosey I guess!

Fafrir

Queen of Dragons
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
Surprised you didn't post some of the sets you used, just being nosey I guess!
You can see my sets used under the Team links per week! :]

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
I'm a bit late to the party (it's been a busy week), but I enjoyed reading through your analysis and seeing your amazing art! I had a lot of fun battling against you as well, so I hope you'll participate again in the future! :]