Favorite Pokémon Gimmick?

Ferret_Mustard

Spicy Ferret Boi
I've always thought that the Cherrim forms were a nice touch. Most gimmicks never work, though...what's your favorite?

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Off the top of my head, the Deerling seasonal thing is pretty neat, and I used to have more fun with Castform than I had any right to. The thing where Eevee can evolve into eight different things is pretty neat but everyone already likes that so I won't count it here.

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
Since Deerling/Sawsbuck seasonal forms were already mentioned, I'll have to go with Rotom and it's forms (RotomDex is not included here since I hate that annoying thing). You basically get 6 Pokemon in one and you can change the forms depending on what type you need the most in different portions of the game. Most of the Rotom forms are also very usefull competitively in their respective tiers. My favorite forms are Heat, Mow and Frost.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Shedinja is many gimmicks in one. The way to even obtain it is pretty unique, and it's the only instance of getting two pokemon from one pokemon (except using the DNA Splicers). It has a unique ability and the unique property of having only one HP.

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
From a conceptual standpoint, I love the Cherrim forms even if I’ve never tried using that Pokémon in battle at all. In terms of usefulness, however, Ditto wins by a long shot because of the ability to breed with anything that can have eggs.

Solar

Loog Noog Supreme
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Arceus forms heck ya. Ya get a pink one, ya get a blue one, ya get it a green one, pick ya favorite.

Amethyst

Rookie Trainer
I can't not love Inkay/Malamar, since my newest shiny (and first one in an Alolan game) is Ursula the (now) Malamar. Contrary Superpower is very gimmicky, but oh, does it work.

Biohazard

The Dark Serpent
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria
Time Zone
UTC +2
Arceus forms heck ya. Ya get a pink one, ya get a blue one, ya get it a green one, pick ya favorite.
This.

I also like that you have evolve Inkay while holding the 3DS upside down.

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
The way branching evolution is handled, generally speaking. I think it makes good use of the game's general ecosystem without being overly annoying, in my opinion. It's just neat and fascinating, how exposing a Pokémon to different phenomenons will get them to adapt to different things.

Coming in second: using Pokémon as mounts! Just hoping ShSw is gonna keep it in Let's Go manner, instead of restricting to a specific Pokémon per function like SM/USUM did.

I absolutely loved Inkay's evolution, and well, forms in general. Lazy, in a way, yes. In another way, like branching evolution, I find it fascinating that Pokémon vary this much, from region to region.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i loove the cute alternate pokemon forms like cherrim, castform, furfrou, even ones like sawsbuck, vivillon, and wormadam, even if it's COMPLETELY useless.. it's really cute to me!!