Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
I was gonna put this in the Video Games or Entertainment thread but I thought it'd probably just be easier to post it here to encompass all forms of media.
I don't think I need to explain what I mean by this thread though.
Doesn't matter if its TV, Writing, Anime, Video Games, Podcasts, whatever, anything goes! I'm just curious to see what everyone looks for in a character.
I wonder if there'll be any themes you don't notice til you write them down?

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
My favorite character is obviosly is the British genius jockey who can transform himself into an Utahraptor and goes by the name of Diego Brando.

Oh yeah, other fictionals characters I like are Sakuya Izayoi, Motoko Kusanagi, Yang Wen-li, Guts, Haruko Haruhara, Utena Tenjou, Godzilla, Azula and many other characters.

Last edited:

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
Cynder from The Legend of Spyro trilogy. Kidnapped as an egg, she was was raised under mind control by the Dark Master, being his second in command for many years, until she was freed from his control. She then fought back against her former master, trying to make up for all the harm she caused while under his spell.
Elincia from Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. (Also in Path of Radiance, but it's in Radiant Dawn that she became one of my favourites.) A good ruler, who’s willing to do whatever it takes to make a peaceful country, no matter the personal sacrifices.
Soren from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. The tactician who is 100% loyal to Ike, and is the voice of logic, looking at each scenario without accounting for pesky things like morality.
Tiki From Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. A young manakete (Human form of Dragons) who was temporarily mind controlled by an evil sorcerer. Deathly afraid of being alone again, she fights to defend her new friends and family. She’s also rather smug at times.
Lethe from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. Completely loyal to her king, even if it means working with those she hates. Which is just about everyone.
Scarlet from Fire Emblem: Fates. A wyvern rider who lead a rebellion against her countries evil dictator, which in 2/3 paths didn’t end very well. She also covers her weapons in rhinestones.
Natural Harmonia Gropius (AKA: N) from Pokemon Black & White. Fast talking guy who can hear the voices of pokemon. At first despises pokemon battles, not liking that people force their friends to fight, though eventually acknowledges that not all trainers are bad, and some pokemon chose to battle.
Lillie from Pokemon Sun & Moon (The games, not the anime.) Much like N at first, though without trying to force pokemon and humans apart. Then over the events of the game becomes more confident, wanting to be able to help her friends, instead of always being the one to be protected.
Whiteout from Wings of Fire: Legends: Darkstalker. The Luna Lovegood of dragons. Her mind works differently from everyone else, causing her to make little sense to those that are unaccustomed to her. She can also kinda see the future, though worded in such a way that it’s hard to tell it’s a prophecy or just weird wording until after it’s already happened.
Fatespeaker from Wings of Fire. She is convinced she has prophetic powers, and has been told she is one of the chosen ones to end the 20 year long world war, when in fact she is neither. She truly cares about her companions, even though they wouldn’t hesitate to abandon her at the drop of a hat.
Nico de Angelo from Percy Jackson. At first a card/board game nerd, later takes a few levels of badass and goes out for revenge due to spoiler stuff. (Haven’t read the sequel books, so this is just based on the first 5 books.)
Thorax from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The first good guy Changeling, who has never wanted to be scary or fight, and gave up draining love from others, finding a new source of sustenance and eventually leading a semi revolution in his hive. Kinda awkward but very friendly and fiercely protective.
Jimmy Olsen from Smallville. Honestly, I can’t remember the detail much, since it’s been a long time since I watched it. But the main thing I remember was he was awesome.
Polaris from The Gifted. Bipolar child of Magneto, she fights alongside the rest of the Mutants against the oppressive anti-mutant society. She is willing to do whatever is necessary to make a world where Mutants and Humans can live in peace, even if it means turning against those she loves.

So what I’m getting from this is loyalty, protecting friends, and doing morally questionable things for the greater good.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive

Funny Valentine from Jojo Part 7
Arguably the best villain in JJBA. At the beginning, he's just kind of whatever but by the end even if his actions are despicable you almost want to root for him. I like the grey area that he encompasses rather than pure evil domination. Also shoutout to Kira from Part 4.

Meruem from Hunter X Hunter
This character's journey is the single most pleasant I've ever experienced. His role as an antagonist and his character growth was amazing. It eclipsed anything any anime has ever done for me. The Chimera Ant Arc is a masterpiece to me and Meruem is one of the reasons why. Just an AMAZING character.

Isaac Netero from Hunter X Hunter
Meruem's journey would not be complete without Netero. I have a soft spot for bad ass old men who hide their power until it's really needed, but Netero blows every other bad ass old men in media out of the water. I think he's a perfect character to really symbolize the themes of Hunter X Hunter. He's really complex without it feeling hamfisted or 2deep4u. He is a man full of heart, resolution, and gratitude.

Guts from Berserk
Guts to me is a perfect protagonist. He is not a hero. He is not a villain. He has done some amazingly selfless and selfish things. He has committed atrocities that are worse than those of a typical antagonist, but he is not a bad guy. He is just a guy struggling with his own morality. He is a man who has been through a lot and is trying to be a better person. He's not perfect and is deeply flawed, but that's why he is so compelling. He is HUMAN.

Shigeo Kageyama from Mob Psycho 100
If this were Season 1, I probably would have chosen Reigen instead. However, season 2 cemented the show and this character in general as one of my favorites of all time. Mob's emotional growth has been truly a treat. There is a sense of pride that comes from seeing him just become a better person. He doesn't get stronger by getting even more super bad ass psychic powers, but through becoming a better emotionally adjusted person. His interactions with others have left me tearing up at times. He is just a very emotionally resonant character.

Mr. Peanutbutter from Bojack Horseman
Love this dog bro

Negan from The Walking Dead
While the show has really stagnated for the past few years, I still sometimes watch bits and pieces to see what Negan is up to. This guy is just pure entertainment.

The Undertaker from Pro Wrestling
I think Wrestling is the most unique form of storytelling that there is and ever will be. Yes I understand that it is scripted, but people do not pretend that it is a real sport. We know it is for entertainment. Wrestlers sometimes play larger than life characters or play an extension of themselves. The Undertaker debuted in 1990 and is a character still going today almost 30 years later. I've been a fan of his ever since I was a kid who could barely speak. His journey has been an amazing one. Just like anime has "arcs", so too has the Undertaker. I won't go too in depth here or it might just turn into a gush piece, but seeing him be this dominating and almost otherworldly force in the world of professional wrestling then seeing him get more vulnerable and weaker as time has went on has really hit me as a fan. He is a character unlike anything else in wrestling.

Johnny Gargano and Tomasso Ciampa from Pro Wrestling
If Undertaker is partly the reason I fell in love with wrestling, these two and their journeys in the past few years is the reason why I still keep watching it. These two are PHENOMENAL performers, but more important the stories they have told in and out of the ring has been nothing but compelling and heart wrenching. Rather than being an over the top character like The Undertaker, their personas are firmly rooted in reality. These two scratch and clawed their way to the top, but had many obstacles. Ciampa got injured time and time again, and Gargano would always lose when it mattered most. These two even had a feud in which they had amazing matches that looked like they were trying to kill each other. I just can't get enough and cannot wait to see what unfolds next.

Velveteen Dream from Pro Wrestling
Velveteen is an embodiment that larger than life personas in wrestling can still thrive. He has accomplished so much and has built such a following despite being in his early 20's. I think I relate with him more because we are around the same age and I'll have the pleasure of following the beginning of his career to potentially whenever he retires. I am here for the long haul let's hope some big things happen!!

James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 2 is my favorite game of all time, and its protagonist is one that I find eternally fascinating. James is an every man. He was a convenience store clerk before all of the events in the game even took place. He just wants to look for his dead wife in a town where they had a vacation long ago. On the surface, James seems like a mild-mannered, awkward, and kind man. However, as his journey progresses, things start to unravel. James is kind of crazy. He is suicidal. He is psychologically messed up. He is full of self loathing and sexual repression. Once the big twist is revealed, everything falls into place. James is a psychologically complex character. The horror in this game is unlike any other. It is a personal horror that James himself creates, and it wouldn't be one of the greatest horror games of all times if he did not resonate with the player. I think the scariest and most intriguing thing about James is that I feel like anyone can end up like him.

Slowpoke from Pokemon
Yes

John Marston from Red Dead Redemption
I always loved John. I still think he's the best realized character Rockstar has ever created. His life is just kind of a tragic punchline. He's a real man's man plain and simple.

Kratos from God of War
I've always liked Kratos even since before the latest incarnation of the God of War series. He was always a bad ass, but he also did have something more to him. He is basically the embodiment of a killing machine mowing down whatever is in his way with no remorse, but he was also a family man at one time. This brings me to the latest game. From the beginning, you can see that Kratos is a bit more subdued. He is a father again. He's very awkward at it. You can tell he really loves his son but he is hard on him and does not really understand him. There are times where he contemplates getting vulnerable with his son but pulls away because he's just so bad at doing that. It makes a god like him feel human. He's just a father that is trying his best the only way he knows how. The relationship he has with his son was the most interesting part of the game, which is saying something considering how amazing it is. I cannot wait to see more of him in the next game because I am incredibly invested.

9S from NieR: Automata
I did not think much of this character until after the first play through of the game. For being an android, 9S feels so human. This game is the farthest it can get from being grounded in reality, but the emotional struggles feel so very real and they make you hurt. He starts the game as a lonely android who was excited to finally have a partner. He ends it as being an emotionally exhausted and traumatized android that has lost everything. Seeing his descent into madness is so gradual and depressing, but it is also a journey I will never forget. His character and the themes he encompasses hits uncomfortably close and I love it. What does it mean to be human? 9S is the reason why this game is such a masterpiece.

Goro Majima from Yakuza
I could fill this list with a bunch of Yakuza characters, but I am going to have some restraint here. Being introduced to him in the prequel, I got to see Majima before he became crazy. Majima is a man who was basically a prisoner in his own city. He is a Yakuza who wants to prove himself and be let back in after having disgraced himself. His morals are tested through this. Knowing that he had to kill an innocent woman to be let back in to the Yakuza, he instead fights against them with everything he has. He goes against the grain and earns his place back in his own way. After those events, he had noticeably changed. He seems like a total wackjob who just wants to fight, but deep inside is a wounded man who is bored with himself. The only way he can get any excitement is to be over the top and do crazy things. Seeing Majima do crazy and entertaining things is always bittersweet because you always gotta think about if he's just doing it because he is bored with himself rather than really wanting to do it.

Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza
I ****ing LOVE KIRYU!!! He is the quintessential macho man without being generic in any way. You get to experience his journey as a 20 year old all the way to a man in his 50's. You get to experience a lot with Kiryu through many games. He is a stoic and kindhearted man. He shines through his interactions with people, whether he is fighting for his life or helping a woman by delivering her a pizza even though she meant visa. His relationships with other characters in each game really make you feel more and more attached to him. Kiryu is a man that appears to take himself seriously but has also done some ridiculously goofy things. He loves karaoke and dancing. He plays darts and loves racing with small toy cars. His story is just a pure joy to experience filled with both tragedies and heartwarming moments.">

Last edited:

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I like Misato Katsuragi and Marluxia as well!

Last edited:

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
-Regina: villain with a redemption arc and a grim backstory. Her initial reasoning for doing what she did was exaggerated but she's done great things and is mostly motivated by love (even if it's twisted)

-Rumpelstiltskin: seriously, you can't watch OUAT and not be intrigued by him. He's a really complex character, and an important force in the show. He has flaws, and strengths, and temptations, and love, and cowardice, and courage, and selflessness...

-Emma: despite what people may say about her, what she had to go through was not easy. I think her biggest character trait is fear of failure and abandonment.
-Naruto: he's a kid with a really positive outlook in life despite the hardships he's had to face. He's very determined to become the Hokage, which means a lot more than just a title.

-Hinata: she's really shy, like reaaaaally shy, but she's willing to fight for what she beleieves in, even if her opponent is stronger or has the advantage, because she looks up to Naruto and that's what he would do.

Last edited:

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I'm not very far into Digimon (I'm still watching Digimon Adventure, but I'm going to watch Tamers at same time too) and Megidramon is mine.

Sylveonn

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Emily
Switch FC
SW-5650-2285-5327
Okay so some of my favorite characters from books are Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin, and Ginny Weasley from the Harry Potter series; Violet Baudelaire from A Series of Unfortunate Events; Alice Cullen from the Twilight series; Yellowfang, Bluestar, and Fireheart/star from the Warriors series.

From tv shows, I love Regina Mills/Evil Queen and Mr. Gold/Rumple from Once Upon A Time; Damon Salvatore, Alaric Saltzmann, and Klause Mikaelson from The Vampire Diaries/The Originals; Lorelai Gilmore from Gilmore Girls; Buffy Summers and Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.