Wedlocke [FINALE] Calaf's Pokemon White 2 Wedlocke Challenge

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Hey there and welcome to my first challenge on the forums! I figured I’d keep the rules basic for my first run here, so I will be attempting a Wedlocke challenge on White 2. I have tried multiple Wedlocke challenges in the past and although I came quite far on some, I haven’t actually finished one. I’m determined to see this one through to the end!

The standard Wedlocke rules will be used in this challenge:
1. Pokemon that faint are considered dead and will be permaboxed.
2. You can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter on each route. However, in the Wedlocke challenge, Gender clause applies: you must have 3 male and 3 female Pokemon at any time, so if your team consists of an uneven number of males or females, you must catch the opposite gender to balance out the team. Encounters of the wrong gender do not count in this case.
3. Pokemon are paired up and fight in teams. When in battle, you can’t switch to Pokemon of another pair.
4. Genderless Pokemon cannot be paired. As such, they do not count as encounters and cannot be caught.
5. Pokemon cannot be deposited in the PC.
6. All Pokemon will be nicknamed. For this challenge, I will give each Pokemon individual nicknames instead of using a theme.

Additionally, I will use the following specific rules:
  • Dupes clause: If your first encounter in an area is a Pokemon you have already caught, that encounter doesn't count. This also applies to Pokemon that belong to an evolutionary family you have already caught.
  • Shiny clause: If you encounter a shiny Pokemon, you are allowed to catch it. If this occurs, a Pokemon from the PC must be replaced with the shiny pokemon.
  • Gift clause: gift Pokemon may be accepted and count as a bonus encounter.
  • My starter Pokemon will be determined by the last digit of my trainer ID.
  • The use of items in battle is limited to three items per pair.
  • A level limit will be used throughout the game, set to the level of the highest leveled Pokemon on the team of the upcoming Gym Leader or Champion.
  • As the switching possibilities are already very limited in a Wedlocke, I will play on ‘Shift’.

Finally, as this is my first documented challenge, any feedback on my writing style or other aspects of my updates is much appreciated! :)

Now, without further ado, here’s the first update!

Early one winter morning, my mom comes home saying her old friend, the famous professor Juniper, called her. Apparently, she wants to give me a Pokemon so I can travel the Unova region in order to fill up the Pokedex. Therefore, I go to meet her assistant, a girl named Bianca. She offers me three Pokemon and as my trainer ID ends with a 9 I choose Oshawott. I decide to name the little guy Syrio (bonus points if you get the reference!). My rival Hugh – also known as the most annoying rival in a Pokemon game ever – immediately challenges me to a battle, in which Syrio manages to narrowly beat Hugh’s Snivy by spamming Tackle.

I go on to Route 19, where I catch a female Purrloin and name it Persia – or ‘Purrsia’, if you will – after the breed of cat. As I continue on to Floccesy Town, I see the former champion Alder miraculously jump off of a cliff without breaking both his legs. Alder decides to take me on as an apprentice and leaves before I can object.

After training up Syrio and Persia to level 7, I travel through Floccesy Town and head on to Route 20. Here, I encounter a female Sewaddle that Persia almost knocks out with a critical hit. I manage to catch it and call her Juno, after the Roman goddess of mothers and childbirth, as Leavanny is known as the Nursing Pokemon (kinda unoriginal, I know, but I couldn’t think of anything better).

On Floccesy Ranch, I first run into a female Azurill, which I have to let go due to Gender clause. I then get super lucky and encounter a male Riolu. I catch it and name him Horus. I take some time to train up Juno and Horus a little bit and then head back to Floccesy Ranch. Hugh appears to challenge me to another battle, in which Juno swiftly wrecks his Snivy with a single Bug Bite. The folks who own the ranch turn up and say they lost their doggo, which Hugh and I set out to find. After exploring the rest of the farm, I find the Herdier together with an odd guy wearing an unfashionable costume and all is right in world again, at least for now.

Pair 1:

Syrio the Oshawott
Level: 10
Nature: Modest
Ability: Torrent
Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • Tail Whip
  • Water Gun

Persia the Purrloin
Level: 8
Nature: Timid
Ability: Limber
Moveset:
  • Scratch
  • Growl
  • Assist
Pair 2:

Juno the Sewaddle
Level: 9
Nature: Bold
Ability: Swarm
Moveset:
  • Tackle
  • String Shot
  • Bug Bite

Horus the Riolu
Level: 8
Nature: Docile
Ability: Steadfast
Moveset:
  • Foresight
  • Quick Attack
  • Endure
  • Counter

No Pokemon in the PC so far.

None so far :)

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Well, you're off to a pretty good start, especially to get a Riolu of all things! :O You'll have to wonder how you make do against Cheren - the pairing that can lower his Attack, or the pairing with a strong STAB move? 🤔

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I can’t really attest for how good purrloin or Sewaddle are tbh, but so far so good! Specially that Riolu. It’ll be a pain to train up, but worth it! Good luck~

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Pendra: Yeah, I'm really content with that Riolu! Just one more level until he learns Force Palm and then we'll be in business! As for the Gym, I tested out both pairs against the Gym trainers and decided to go with Juno's high STAB.

Moxie: Thanks! Sewaddle has been incredibly useful so far with Bug Bite, but training up Purrloin has been a major pain. It simply has no power right now, but that should improve once it evolves into Liepard! :)

Last time, we left off at the Floccesy Ranch. I decide to train everyone up to level 10 and then I make my way back to Floccesy Town. Once I arrive there, Alder makes me fight two Youngsters with two of the elemental monkeys, which Syrio and Persia make short work of. Afterwards, I make my way to the Aspertia City and Alder’s legs take another beating as he jumps off the cliff to give me some Oran Berries. I head to the Gym, where the trainers aren’t too much of a problem. I then go on to challenge Cheren.

I lead with Juno against Cheren. His Patrat goes down to two Bug Bites, having got only one Tackle off. Two further Bug Bites take Lillipup to its red health zone, while its Tackles get quite a dent in Juno. Fortunately, I had equipped an Oran Berry which sufficiently heals Juno to finish the battle. Cheren’s Potion couldn’t save his Lillipup and two more Bug Bites take him out, earning us the Basic Badge!

After the Gym badge, Bianca appears to give me the TM for Return. After a brief friendship check, I decide to teach Return to each member of the team. I also teach Work Up to Horus. As I travel back to Route 20, I’m finally at that point where rustling grass becomes a thing. Training Persia had been so painfully slow and now I can at least train against the Audino. Persia and Syrio had been falling behind a little bit, so I first train them up to par, around about level 13, before continuing down Route 20.

After an uneventful trek down route 20, I reach Virbank City. Ah, Virbank City. Quick sidebar: I just love this town, it may even be my favorite in the entire region. It has a cool industrial vibe, the complex has really interesting Pokemon that can’t be caught anywhere else and the jazzy soundtrack is just so smooth. But anyway, on with the last bit of this update!
I move on to the Virbank Complex, where I encounter a female Koffing. I was kinda hoping for an Elekid or a Growlithe, but Koffing works fine too. I catch it and name her Ether.

Pair 1:

Syrio the Oshawott
Level: 15
Moveset:
  • Focus Energy
  • Tail Whip
  • Water Gun
  • Return

Persia the Purrloin
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Growl
  • Pursuit
  • Sand-Attack
Pair 2:

Juno the Sewaddle
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • String Shot
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Horus the Riolu
Level: 14
Moveset:
  • Work Up
  • Quick Attack
  • Return
  • Counter
Pair 3:

Ether the Koffing (unpaired)
Level: 11
Nature: Naïve
Ability: Levitate
Moveset:
  • Poison Gas
  • Tackle
  • Smog
  • Smokescreen

No Pokemon in the PC so far

Which upcoming Pokemon do you think would be the best partner for Ether?

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Last time, we left off right after I caught Ether in the Virbank Complex. I explore the rest of the Complex and train everyone up to level 17 in preparation for Roxie. While training up, Syrio evolves into Dewott. As I think about how I should take on Roxie while training, Horus evolves into Lucario. Apparently I ran around enough searching for Audino to reach his required happiness stat. I guess I have my answer on how to beat Roxie! After training, I head to the Gym.

I lead against Roxie with Horus. Her Pokemon can barely touch me (a critical hit Tackle from Koffing did 6 damage), so I just set up Work Up a few times and take out both Koffing and Whirlipede with a single Return. GG, the Toxic Badge is ours!

After the obligatory visit to Pokestar Studios, I get into a little scuffle with Team Plasma and then I take the boat to Castelia City. First, I go to Route 4 to get a partner for Ether. I run into a male Scraggy, which I name Bronx. Afterwards, I head on to the Battle Company and wipe it out, earning me some nice goodies. However, I noticed my Pokemon were starting to get a bit underleveled, so I decided to train them up in the Castelia Park.

Before getting to Castelia Park, I have to beat Team Plasma in the Castelia Sewers with Hugh. Afterwards, I catch my first encounter in the Sewers, a male Rattata named Roquefort. I move on to the Park, where I catch a female Petilil that I name Marlene.
Finally, I train up the party to level 20 (and Juno to level 21), evolving Persia to Liepard and Juno first to Swadloon and then to Leavanny, in the process.

Pair 1:

Syrio the Dewott
Level: 20
Moveset:
  • Focus Energy
  • Razor Shell
  • Water Gun
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Growl
  • Thief
  • Sand-Attack
Pair 2:

Juno the Leavanny
Level: 21
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Horus the Lucario
Moveset:
  • Me First
  • Quick Attack
  • Return
  • Force Palm
Pair 3:

Ether the Koffing
Moveset:
  • Sludge
  • Assurance
  • Venoshock
  • Smokescreen

Bronx the Scraggy
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Moxie
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Faint Attack
  • Headbutt
  • Swagger

Marlene the Petilil (female) :petilil:
Roquefort the Rattata (male) :rattata:

Now that Juno and Horus are fully evolved, they are really in business. However, as Horus evolved, the nasty shared Flying-type weakness of my second pair was traded in for an equally nasty shared Fire-type weakness. I already had a scary run-in with a Growlithe at the Battle Company. Lucario will learn Bone Rush, which will be useful for dealing with Fire-types, but that’s still quite a bit away at level 29.

Ether and Bronx, however, have a great type matchup. Ether’s only weakness, Psychic, is completely countered by Bronx’s Dark-type. Conversely, Ether blocks Bronx’s Fighting-type weakness and should be able to deal with the Flying-type weakness too, especially as it can learn Thunder(bolt).

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Welcome back to update 4! Things got much more exciting at this point in the challenge, as I had some very tense situations in this episode. Will the team make it through another update?! Let’s find out!

Last time, we left off right before Burgh. After taking out the gym trainers, I train the party up to level 22 before taking on Burgh. I also picked up some nice items in Castelia City, such as the TMs for Rest and Attract and the Eviolite.

Boss battle: Gym Leader Burgh
I lead against Burgh with Ether, who has the Eviolite equipped. I use Sludge against Swadloon, which goes down in two hits while doing only marginal damage to Ether with Razor Leaf. Burgh sends out Dwebble, so I switch to Bronx. Bronx takes out Dwebble in three hits with Brick Break and Payback, while taking just under half his health bar in damage, even with one critical hit Struggle Bug. Burgh sends out his ace, Leavanny, so I switch back to Ether. Leavanny does only very little damage with Cut, while Ether takes half of Leavanny’s health with Sludge. Leavanny heals with a Sitrus Berry though, leaving it at a quarter of HP taken. Leavanny uses Cut again, taking Ether down to half of her HP. Ether’s Sludge takes Leavanny to the brink of death, poisoning it in the process. Leavanny lives with a sliver of health. As Burgh heals it with a Hyper Potion, Ether uses Venoshock against the still poisoned Leavanny, obliterating it in one hit. The Insect Badge is ours!

Afterwards, I head back to Route 4, where I fight Colress, who doesn’t prove much of a challenge for Horus. As I make my way through the rest of Route 4, another tense situation occurs. Leading with Horus, I head into a battle with a similarly leveled Growlithe (why does this pair always get the Growlithes?). Horus uses Force Palm and the Growlithe barely lives. It immediately retaliates with Reversal, taking Horus down to 1 HP from full health. Thank goodness Horus withstands sandstorms due to his Steel type! Quick attack takes out the Growlithe before it can do any more damage.

After that, I head over to the Desert Resort for my next encounters. I decide to go to the Relic Castle first, to take out the seemingly obligatory Sandile encounter before I spoil my chance to get anything interesting in the Desert Resort. However, I encounter a male Yamask in the castle, which I name Cheops. I also manage to avoid the Sandile encounter in the resort, where I find a male Sigilyph. I name him Aztec.

After that, I leave the Desert Resort, but not before having one of the most tense battles of this Wedlocke. There’s this Ranger in the resort with a Magby that she must have equipped with about ten Scope Lenses, because that little rascal got FOUR critical hit Flame Bursts in a row against Bronx. At one point I actually checked if Flame Burst has an increased crit rate (which it doesn’t). I literally had to spam Fresh Waters and hope for the best. Luckily, Bronx lived through them every time. Apparently, Scraggy has pretty good Special Defense, which definitely saved his bacon in that battle. Just as I reached my item limit, Magby died to the Sandstorm. At least we got lucky on that front!

After cleaning out the Desert Resort, I head on to Nimbasa City. Foreseeing the battle against the Subway Bosses, I decide to lead with Horus. I forgot, however, that one of them uses a Gurdurr. Horus fails to take out the Gurdurr in one hit, but survives the resulting Wake Up Slap. The next hit proves fatal for Gurdurr, while Rosa’s Servine dealt with the Boldore of the other Subway boss.

I decide to go to the sports stadia next, as it should be a nice, safe place for training up, right? Right? Wrong. We had some close encounters there. One in particular stood out, when Bronx fought a Herdier of a Hoopster. Due to Intimidate, Bronx couldn’t knock the doggo out with one Brick Break. The Herdier came back with a Take Down, which took more that half of Bronx’s HP. I decided that it would be safer to switch to the more defensive Ether. As I switch her in, the Herdier scores a crit Take Down which lands Ether at 2 HP from full health. Luckily, the Take Down took out Herdier, but I definitely won’t be training here anymore in this challenge!

Pair 1:

Syrio the Dewott
Level: 25
Item: Mystic Water
Moveset:
  • Focus Energy
  • Razor Shell
  • Water Pulse
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Item: Silk Scarf
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Fake Out
  • Thief
  • Sand-Attack
Pair 2:

Juno the Leavanny
Level: 26
Item: Miracle Seed
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Horus the Lucario
Item: Leftovers
Moveset:
  • Me First
  • Quick Attack
  • Return
  • Force Palm
Pair 3:

Ether the Koffing
Level: 26
Item: Eviolite
Moveset:
  • Sludge
  • Haze
  • Venoshock
  • Smokescreen

Bronx the Scraggy
Item: Scope Lens
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Faint Attack
  • Payback
  • Swagger

Cheops the Yamask (male) :yamask:
Aztec the Sigilyph (male) :sigilyph:

Still none. Phew ^^

I could go on for a little while longer, but I feel like I’ve been rambling for quite some time now, so I’ll wrap things up here. Thanks for reading and please let me know if you have any tips for me! :)

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Hi guys, and welcome back to the fifth update of this challenge! In this episode, we take on Elesa, the first Gym Leader I really dreaded. After all, I did not have a reliable counter to her Pokemon like I had with the previous Gym Leaders. It certainly provided for an exciting battle!

Before we take on Elesa, there’s some encounters to obtain. First, I go to the Hidden Hollow on Route 5, where I catch Cashmere the male Minccino. Afterwards, I head on to Route 16, where we catch a female Solosis. I call her Nuclea. Then, I move on to Lostlorn Forest, excited to catch a Roselia. I decide to lead with Persia, as Juno was wounded and I didn’t want to waste the healing items. Do I hear someone say ‘rookie mistake’? As I encounter said Roselia, it puts Persia in quite a bit of danger with Grasswhistle, Leech Seed and Magical Leaf, so I have to forfeit the encounter to prevent myself from losing my first pair.

After that, I train the team up to about level 29 against the trainers on Routes 5 and 16 and in Lostlorn Forest, as well as against wild Audino. This training session is largely uncomplicated, except for one incident. On Route 16, I head into a battle against two linebackers with Bronx and Ether. As it turns out, they both use Scraggy. Crap. I have Bronx use Brick Break on one Scraggy and use an X Defend on Bronx in Ether’s turn. Bronx gets hit by an opposing Brick Break while the other Scraggy uses Payback on Ether. Bronx nearly takes out the first Scraggy.
The next turn, I heal Bronx on Ether’s turn, while both foe Scraggy use Payback against Ether, knocking her down to about 1/3 of her HP. Bronx takes out one Scraggy with Brick Break, which boosts his Attack stat due to Moxie. With my last item, I heal Ether, while Bronx takes out the second Scraggy. Dodged the bullet again! Thank goodness that the opposing Scraggy used Payback so much, as I would have been toast if they had spammed Brick Break. Anyway, I’m definitely going to stock up a bit on X-items. You never know when they’re gonna save the day!

Boss Battle: Gym Leader Elesa
After training up, I was ready for Elesa. I was in doubt on which pair to use: Horus would be great with Bone Rush, but I wasn’t sure how he would take a Flame Charge from Zebstrika. Furthermore, Juno really couldn’t take one of those. Therefore, I decided to lead with Bronx, who held the Eviolite. I slapped on Dig and Rock Tomb and hoped for the best.
I go for Rock Tomb against Emolga. Emolga goes for Volt Switch and switches out for Flaaffy as I expected. Emolga takes out almost a quarter of Bronx’s HP, while Bronx deals about 1/5 to Flaaffy, which is also slowed. Confident I could now outspeed Flaaffy, I go for Dig, which just nearly knocks out the Flaaffy. Flaaffy paralyzes Bronx with Thunder Wave. Elesa heals up, while I cure Bronx’s paralysis. Dig does just over half to Flaaffy and Bronx gets paralyzed again. Over the next few turns, Emolga and Flaaffy take Bronx down to 4 HP, while Bronx gets both foes on the brink of fainting with Rock Tomb and Payback. I heal up Bronx with a tasty ol’ Lemonade. The scuffle continues, and Bronx takes out Emolga, raising his Attack. However, he’s back at 30 HP. A further Volt Switch from Flaaffy takes Bronx down to red health territory again, but the switching in Zebstrika takes a critical hit Payback, knocking its health bar down to orange after it consumes its Sitrus Berry. I use my last Lemonade to heal Bronx up again.
Bronx is paralyzed twice in a row, which is problematic as I cannot use any more healing items. Luckily, Zebstrika goes for Pursuit twice, which barely hurts my Scraggy. After three turns, Bronx beats the paralysis and Payback finally takes out Zebstrika.
I decide to play it safe and have Ether take out the heavily damaged Flaaffy with Sludge, earning us the Bolt Badge!

After beating the Gym, I head over to Driftveil City. Neither the Plasma grunts in Nimbasa nor the famous heartbreaker in front of the Charizard bridge pose any problems.
Once in Driftveil, I go over to Route 6. I use a Super Repel to get through the grass towards the Season Lab. I pick up a female Deerling with Serene Grace there and named her Faline, like the female deer in the Disney classic Bambi (Note: this doesn’t count as my Route 6 encounter due to Gift clause). Afterwards, I catch my Route 6 encounter: a male Karrablast, who I name Percival after the eponymous knight of the round table. Finally, I go back to the bridge to catch myself a Ducklett. I find a male one and name him Albus. And that’s where we’ll leave things off!

I will treat Hidden Hollow encounters as follows: on any Route, the Hidden Hollow may be checked for a Pokemon if an encounter has not yet been obtained. If a Pokemon is present, it counts as the encounter for that Route (of course, the exceptions posed by Gender clause and Dupes clause still apply). If no Pokemon is present, a regular encounter may be obtained.
This should not be too broken, as Hidden Hollows are not that common, they rarely have a Pokemon inside them and the Pokemon inside the hollows are not always better than a regular encounter.

As for Karrablast, I will allow a trade with a Shelmet to evolve it into Escavalier, should it end up being used in this challenge.

Pair 1:

Syrio the Dewott
Level: 29
Moveset:
  • Focus Energy
  • Razor Shell
  • Water Pulse
  • Revenge

Persia the Liepard
Level: 30
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Thief
  • Hone Claws
Pair 2:

Juno the Leavanny
Level: 29
Item: Miracle Seed
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Horus the Lucario
Moveset:
  • Me First
  • Bone Rush
  • Return
  • Force Palm
Pair 3:

Ether the Koffing
Moveset:
  • Sludge
  • Haze
  • Venoshock
  • Smokescreen

Bronx the Scraggy
Level: 31
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Rock Tomb
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Cashmere the Minccino (male) :minccino:
Nuclea the Solosis (female) :solosis:
Faline the Deerling (female) :deerling:
Percival the Karrablast (male) :karrablast:
Albus the Ducklett (male) :ducklett:

Still none. Phew ^^

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Oh boy, that was quite a battle against Elesa! So glad to see your team made it through with no casualties ^^

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SkylarAlpha: I definitely got a bit lucky during that battle, but I'm glad the team made it through as well! ^^

Will our luck last throughout the next update, though? Here is the answer!

Last time, we left off around Driftveil City and Route 6. The hurdle on the journey will be Clay, so I set out to train my team in preparation for this battle. I decide to train against Audino and the trainers on Route 6. As I battle a Parasol Lady, who uses a Castform, with Juno, things go south. The Castform uses Ember, to which Juno has a quadruple weakness. I totally forgot that these things learn Ember. Juno is at full health, so she might just make it, I think. However, the Castform manages to land a critical hit and Juno is taken out.

After a brief ceremony, the heartbroken Horus is paired up with Nuclea the Solosis and training resumes. I train the team to about level 32, during which Nuclea evolves into Duosion. I teach Seed Bomb to Persia at the Driftveil Move Tutor and set out to take on the Gym!

Boss Battle – Gym Leader Clay
I lead against Clay with Syrio, who has the Eviolite equipped. Persia serves as his back-up, with Seed Bomb and the Miracle Seed equipped.
I go for Water Pulse against the Krokorok, taking him out in one turn due to a critical hit. Clay sends in Sandslash, who barely survives a Water Pulse and retaliates with Bulldoze, taking 1/5 of Syrio’s health, as well as lowering his speed. Clay heals the Sandslash, but another critical hit from Syrio takes it out. Finally, Excadrill enters. It goes for Slash, leaving Syrio at about half of his health. Water Pulse knocks Excadrill down to half as well, but his Sitrus Berry heals him up.
I heal up Syrio and a Slash from Excadrill gets him to 3/4 of his health. I go for Water Pulse again, which scores another critical hit, taking out the Excadrill and earning us the Quake Badge!

After defeating Clay, he tells me about some tournament held on the south side of town, in which I should participate. I have a premonition that I will have to face Hugh, Cheren and Colress there, so I think quite a bit about who to use. In the end, I decide that Horus and Nuclea would be best. However, I should teach Ice Punch to Horus first. Therefore, I go to the Relic Passage to gather the necessary shards. Here, I catch my encounter for the passage as well, a female Drilbur which I name Cava. She turns out to have an amazing Adamant Nature.

As I explore the Relic Passage a bit further, I head into a battle against a Swoobat with Persia. Persia paralyzes the Swoobat with Thunder Wave and gets two Snarls off, sharply lowering the Swoobat’s Special Attack and getting it on the brink of fainting. As I think the battle is in the bag, the Swoobat, summoning all of its strength, gets off a critical hit Air Slash, killing Persia in one hit. This update has the worst luck we’ve had in the entire challenge!

After the second funeral in one episode, Syrio is paired up with the new addition, Cava. I embark on the third training session in this episode to get Cava up to level 32 and evolve her into Excadrill. Afterwards, I use Cava and Syrio to take on the PWT, winning it without too much problems. Team Plasma, who show up after the tournament, don’t pose too much trouble either and I take out their grunts with Ether.

Pair 1:

Syrio the Dewott
Level: 35
Moveset:
  • Aqua Jet
  • Razor Shell
  • Water Pulse
  • Revenge

Cava the Excadrill
Level: 32
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Rush
Moveset:
  • Metal Claw
  • Dig
  • Bulldoze
  • Rock Slide
Pair 2:

Horus the Lucario
Level: 33
Moveset:
  • Me First
  • Bone Rush
  • Return
  • Force Palm

Nuclea the Duosion
Level: 32
Nature: Gentle
Ability: Overcoat
Item: Exp. Share
Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psyshock
  • Light Screen
  • Charm
Pair 3:

Ether the Koffing
Level: 34
Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Haze
  • Venoshock
  • Smokescreen

Bronx the Scraggy
Item: Expert Belt
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Rock Tomb
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Number of deaths: 2

Juno the Leavanny
Caught: Route 20 (level 3)
Perished: Route 6 (level 29)
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Caught: Route 19 (level 4)
Perished: Relic Passage (level 32)
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

I was definitely a bit bummed when Juno died. She was such a strong member of the team, perhaps even the single most useful member. It's so sad to have her die against a random Castform.
I decided to pair up Nuclea with Horus, as I didn't want to have the same Fire-type weakness again by pairing him up with Marlene or Faline. While this team does not have any shared weaknesses, I worry about how fragile Nuclea is. I think I'll either equip Nuclea with the Eviolite soon or let her ride in the backseat for a bit until she evolves into Reuniclus.

I was sad when Persia died, as well, but this one came as less of a surprise. I feel like she was at the apex of her usefulness: Liepard just doesn't have the stats to reach the Elite Four. Still, she had become so much better after better moves became available, so it's a shame to see her pass so soon, before she could make good use of her new moves.
However, you can't spell 'disadvantage' without 'advantage': I feel like the pairing of Syrio and Cava is very good. Cava can deal with Syrio's weakness to Grass and Electric, while Syrio can easily take out dangerous Fire and Ground types. Therefore, I have high hopes for this pair!

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Omg,.. that is such terrible luck... it's onz thing to lose members in Gym Fights but against random trainers.. well, I suppose random trainers are more dangerous since you're not as prepared but still...

I hope the team manages to handle the losses

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SkylarAlpha and @Pendraflare: Thanks! I certainly underestimated how versatile Castform is, which really goes to show how easily you can be caught off guard by random situations during these challenges! Still, I think the team pulled through the setbacks of the previous update quite well.

*pause for dramatic effect*

... However, will it last against Skyla?! Let's find out! :D

Update 7:
Last time, we had left off right after the first encounter with the Plasma Frigate at the PWT. After these events, I travel down Route 6 towards Chargestone Cave. I decide to do a little bit of training to evolve Syrio into Samurott and Ether into Weezing, as they are both so close to evolving. After that, I head into the Chargestone Cave. I repel my way down to the basement to increase the odds of finding a Tynamo a little, but alas, I still find a male Joltik as my first encounter. I catch him and call him Spark. The trainers in the cave don’t give my team as much trouble, but I suppose I got a bit lucky by leading with Cava against the Ace Trainer with the Archen and Electabuzz, as well as leading with Syrio against the Ace Trainer with the Tirtouga and the ferocious Magmar. The Magmar landed a critical Flame Burst against Syrio and knocked him down to the red portion of his health bar. Any other Pokemon would’ve been toast.

As I make it out of the cave into Mistralton City, I head over to Route 7. I check the Hidden Grotto first, but I don’t find a Pokemon there, so I go for a regular encounter. I find a male Seviper, which I catch and name Kaa, after the snake in Jungle Book (yeah, I know, Kaa is technically a python and Seviper is a… viper, but whatever). After catching my encounter here, I backtrack to Route 6 and head over to Mistralton Cave for my encounter. Instead of encountering an Aron or Axew, I find a male Boldore like the lucky ******* I am. I name him Halite, after the Himalayan rock salt that is often used to make lamps.

After some other miscellaneous errands using the HMs that I recently acquired, I head back to Route 7 to take on the Celestial Tower. Here, I find a female Litwick, who I name Cinderella. Finally, another female Pokemon. As I scale the rest of the tower, Bronx, who I had equipped with the Exp. Share, evolves into Scrafty. After I rang the bell at the top of the Celestial Tower for my dear departed Juno and Persia, I head to Skyla’s Gym and take out the Gym trainers. I train up the party to about level 38/39 and go on to challenge Skyla!

I quite dread Skyla, as I once again do not have a Pokemon who could reliably take out all of her Pokemon. I could learn Thunderpunch to Horus and go for him, but I don’t think his defensive stats will be good enough to withstand all three of her Pokemon. Therefore, I decide to go for Cava and Syrio. I teach Rock Tomb to Cava to ensure she has enough PP to take out the defensive Skarmory. I also teach Attract and Return to Syrio, because frankly, we might need to get gimmicky to take out Swanna. I equip Cava with the Expert Belt and Syrio with the Leftovers.

Boss Battle: Gym Leader Skyla
I lead with Cava against Skyla’s Swoobat. Rock Slide takes out Swoobat in one hit, while Cava takes negligible damage from Heart Stamp. Skyla sends in Swanna, so I switch to Syrio. Syrio goes for Attract, while Swanna takes about a quarter of Syrio’s health after Leftovers with Air Slash. Swanna goes for Air Slash again and Syrio flinches, after which he ends up at a little under 50% of his health. On the next turn, Swanna is immobilized by love and gets about 2/5 of her HP knocked off by Syrio’s Return. As a result of this, Swanna appears to break out of her infatuation and goes for Air Slash again, but Syrio swiftly dodges it and retaliates with Return, taking Swanna to about 2/5 of her health after using her Sitrus Berry. Swanna doesn’t move again, but Syrio just barely fails to take her out with Return, after which Skyla heals Swanna with a Hyper Potion. However, Swanna just doesn’t appear to be able to shrug off Syrio’s charm and sure enough, she sings her swan song two turns later without having launched another attack.
As Syrio is almost at full health again thanks to his Leftovers, I decide to keep him in for a bit against Skarmory. I go for Surf to exploit Skarmory’s relatively low Special Defense and Skarmory, which goes for Agility, is left at about 20% of its health. Another Surf from Syrio easily takes out Skarmory, earning us the Jet Badge!

Pair 1:

Syrio the Samurott
Level: 39
Moveset:
  • Attract
  • Surf
  • Encore
  • Return

Cava the Excadrill
Moveset:
  • Metal Claw
  • Rock Tomb
  • Earthquake
  • Rock Slide
Pair 2:

Horus the Lucario
Level: 38
Moveset:
  • Shadow Claw
  • Bone Rush
  • Swords Dance
  • Force Palm

Nuclea the Duosion
Level: 37
Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psyshock
  • Energy Ball
  • Charm
Pair 3:

Ether the Weezing
Level: 38
Item: Rocky Helmet
Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Venoshock
  • Flash

Bronx the Scrafty
Item: Shell Bell
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Rock Tomb
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Spark the Joltik (male) :joltik:
Kaa the Seviper (male) :seviper:
Cinderella the Litwick (female) :litwick:

Number of deaths: 2

Juno the Leavanny
Perished: Route 6 (level 29)
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Perished: Relic Passage (level 32)
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Yay for a great battle against Skyla! Thank god attract did its job so well! Syrio must be quite the charmer, eh?

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
@SkylarAlpha: Judging from how often Swanna was immobilized, he clearly is! Who would've thought, with his Modest nature? :P
Also, thanks for the encouraging words! :D

Here's the next update!

Update 8:
Last time, we left off right after we beat Skyla. After the Gym battle of the last episode, Cava was starting to look a little jealous due to the captivating tactics Syrio used to defeat Skyla’s Swanna. Therefore, I replace Attract on Syrio with Aqua Jet by giving a Heart Scale to the girl at the PWT. I also reteach Bulldoze to Cava instead of Rock Tomb and teach her X-Scissor instead of Metal Claw.

After restoring the movesets of my first pair, I fly over to Lentimas Town on Skyla’s plane. I head over to Reversal Mountain and get my encounter on the outside of the volcano, because I wouldn’t want to risk finding a Woobat on the inside. I find a male Camerupt who actually hits Syrio for a scary amount of damage with Earth Power. Thankfully, it only takes one Return and one Ultra Ball to catch the big guy. I name him Basalt.
I also go over to the Strange House and find a male Banette as my encounter. I name him Mario, as an abbreviation of marionette. In the house, I also find the Lunar Wing and a Dusk Stone to evolve Cinderella in the future.

After these errands on the outside of the mountain, I head inside to train against the trainers present. Initially, I decide to take on all of the trainers, as they provide some nice experience and Bianca tags along to heal your party after every battle, which is quite handy while training. Most of the trainers pose no challenge, but we do have a scary encounter with a Pokemon Ranger using a Camerupt. I go into this battle leading with Horus, but he has a huge type disadvantage against Camerupt, so I send out Nuclea. To be honest, I’m not sure if Nuclea, who is still a Duosion, can handle it. However, she takes out the Camerupt with a mere two Psychics like a champ!

I really started to appreciate Nuclea in the mountain. She kinda saved the day by swiftly taking out the opponent’s Gurdurr when a Triple Battle against a Battle Girl seemed a bit dire as I sent out both Horus and Bronx with their huge Fighting weaknesses. All in all, at this point in time I think Nuclea will turn out to be a great addition to the team, especially after she evolves into Reuniclus, which is only half a level away!

But then… disaster strikes. I head into a battle with a Backpacker, who sends out a Darmanitan, probably one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game. As switching to Horus would spell certain death for him, I attempt to go for Thunder Wave, but to no avail: Darmanitan uses Flare Blitz and Nuclea, unable to resist such sheer force, dies in one hit. After that, I switch in Horus, hoping that he would be fast enough to get off a Bone Rush. However, Darmanitan outspeeds him as well, brutally killing the entire pair. Syrio scores a bitter revenge kill with Aqua Jet.

I arrive in Undella Town, still stunned from the sudden losses. After a brief awkward moment with Bianca, who magically resurrected them both, I say goodbye to my fallen team members.

As we need to choose an entirely new pair, it might be good to take some time to think it over. Furthermore, I will need to train up the new members. Therefore, I think I will wrap things up here for this update.

Pair 1:

Syrio the Samurott
Level: 41
Moveset:
  • Aqua Jet
  • Surf
  • Encore
  • Return

Cava the Excadrill
Moveset:
  • X-Scissor
  • Bulldoze
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
Pair 2:

Ether the Weezing
Level: 40
Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Venoshock
  • Shadow Ball

Bronx the Scrafty
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Rock Tomb
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Cinderella the Litwick (female) :litwick:
Basalt the Camerupt (male) :camerupt:
Mario the Banette (male) :banette:

Number of deaths: 4

Juno the Leavanny
Perished: Route 6 (level 29), to a critical hit Ember from a trainer’s Castform
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Perished: Relic Passage (level 32), to a critical hit Air Slash from a trainer’s Swoobat.
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

Nuclea the Duosion
Caught: Route 16 (level 21)
Perished: Reversal Mountain (level 40), to a Flare Blitz from a trainer’s Darmanitan.
Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psychic
  • Energy Ball
  • Charm

Horus the Lucario
Caught: Floccesy Ranch (level 5)
Perished: Reversal Mountain (level 40)
Moveset:
  • Shadow Claw
  • Bone Rush
  • Swords Dance
  • Force Palm

Out of all the Pokemon currently present in the PC, which would you choose to form the new pair and why?

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Ow. Sorry for your loss. > < I've never attempted a Wedlocke myself, but they seem very tough.

As for a replacement, how about Camerupt with either Petilil or Deerling? Camerupt's only two weaknesses are Water and Ground, both of which a Grass type covers perfectly. (Deerling has the additional fighting type weakness due to her Normal typing, of course)

I used an Own Tempo Lilligant in my initial Pokemon White playthrough and she destroyed lives with Petal Dance which never makes you confused. If you don't want to get locked in, Energy Ball is a great back-up. Granted, there's not many coverage moves but you can get Quiver Dance for boosting or something like Growth or Leech Seed as well.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Kaori: Pairing up Camerupt with either of the two Grass-types sounds like a great idea! Another pair I considered was Escavalier and Chandelure, but having a Grass-type will help more against Marlon.
I also used an Own Tempo Lilligant on a casual playthrough of White 2 and she just shredded through anything in her path with the infamous Quiver Dance + Petal Dance combo. However, I feel like Lilligant's lack of coverage moves might be a problem, as I can only switch to Camerupt if she can't handle something. Therefore, I think I'd better go with Sawsbuck. Plus, I've never used a Sawsbuck before, so this should be fun! :)

I have no full update for now, as I still have to level up my team again, but here's a quick team update:

Pair 1:

Syrio the Samurott
Moveset:
  • Aqua Jet
  • Surf
  • Encore
  • Return

Cava the Excadrill
Moveset:
  • X-Scissor
  • Bulldoze
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
Pair 2:

Ether the Weezing
Level: 40
Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Venoshock
  • Shadow Ball

Bronx the Scrafty
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Rock Tomb
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick
Pair 3:

Faline the Deerling
Nature: Bashful
Ability: Serene Grace
Item: None
Moveset:
  • Faint Attack
  • Take Down
  • Jump Kick
  • Aromatherapy

Basalt the Camerupt
Nature: Naive
Ability: Magma Armor
Item: None
Moveset:
  • Earth Power
  • Curse
  • Take Down
  • Rock Slide

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Kaori: Thanks! I certainly hope so too! ^^

Here is the next update!

Update 9:
Last time, we left off right after the tragic deaths of Horus and Nuclea. After pairing up Basalt with Faline I train the team up to level 42. During this session, Faline evolves into Sawsbuck at level 34. I teach Lava Plume to Basalt at the PWT using a Heart Scale.

As I arrive in Undella Bay, I decide to hold off on my encounter here, which would most likely be a Frillish. Instead, I go to Virbank City and catch a female Frillish :frillishf: there, as I think it is the only encounter there. I name her Jam, because calling her Jelly would be too simple. Afterwards, I catch a male Basculin :basculinblue: in Undella Town, who I name Barracuda.

As I proceed to Route 13, I have a run-in with Hugh. I honestly forgot this battle was here, but it’s fine. Syrio easily beats Hugh’s Unfezant and Simisear, while Cava knocks out his Serperior in two hits with X-Scissor after it had set up with Coil. Sidenote: Serperior does hit Cava for over half with Leaf Blade after said Coil.

Before traversing Route 13, I decide to go the other way first and get my encounter on Route 14. It’s a female Mienfoo :mienfoo:, who I name Mulan. After cleaning out Route 14 up until the parts where you need Waterfall, I return to Route 13. I check the Hidden Grotto on Route 13, but there is no Pokemon present. Therefore, I get a regular encounter, a male Tangela. Unfortunately though, Ether ends up knocking it out indirectly with Will-o-Wisp and her Rocky Helmet.

I head into Lacunosa Town and after a brief cutscene with professor Juniper and Bianca, I find Hugh, whom I join in a double battle against Zinzolin.

Mini Boss Battle: Team Plasma Zinzolin and Team Plasma Grunt
I head into the battle with Bronx. I take out the Cryogonal first with Brick Break, which breaks the Light Screen it had just set up. Unfortunately, Hugh’s Serperior also target Cryogonal, wasting its turn. The grunt’s Golbat goes for Air Cutter, but misses Bronx.
On the next turn, I decide to take out the Golbat first, as it is the greatest threat to Bronx. The Golbat goes for Acrobatics, taking out just over half of Bronx’s HP. Fortunately, Bronx takes it out with Payback in one hit after the boost he got from Moxie. The rest of the battle is easily decide with Serperior’s Leaf Blade and Bronx’s Payback.

Before leaving Lacunosa Town, I decide to use all of my hard-earned money to buy Blizzard and Fire Blast. After all, I can teach Blizzard to Syrio, which will help with Drayden and both Ether and Basalt can learn Fire Blast. I head on to Route 12, where I catch a male Roselia :roselia: with a critical capture! I’ll name him Perfume.

As I enter the Village Bridge, I decide to hold off on my encounter there until I get a Marill elsewhere, so I can catch a Lapras later. We’ll see if this long con plays out! I traverse Village Bridge, crushing the hopes and dreams of the Gentleman with a 999-win streak with Basalt on the bridge.

Afterwards, I beat some of the other trainers in the area. While battling a Hoopster in a Triple Battle next to the Village Bridge, Ether dies to a critical hit Flamethrower from a Magby after Sunny Day had been set up. Man, those Triple Battles will be the death of me! Seriously, what is up with all the Rotation and Triple Battles in this part of the game?

Ether’s death puts us at a bit of a disadvantage, as Ether and Bronx formed a pretty good pairing in terms of type matchup and balance between physical and special defense. I think I’ll pair Bronx with Cinderella now. Chandelure is not as defensive as Weezing, so I’m just gonna have to hope her raw offensive power will be enough to keep her alive throughout the challenge!

I was planning on going on until Drayden in this update, but I think I’ll call it here. After all, we’ve got some training to do! Thank you for reading this update and I’ll see you in the next one!

Pair 1:

Syrio the Samurott
Level: 42
Moveset:
  • Aqua Jet
  • Surf
  • Encore
  • Blizzard

Cava the Excadrill
Moveset:
  • X-Scissor
  • Swords Dance
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
Pair 2:

Bronx the Scrafty
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Strength (temporary)
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Cinderella the Litwick
Level: 27
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Lucky Egg
Moveset:
  • Night Shade
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Flame Burst
  • Imprison
Pair 3:

Faline the Sawsbuck
Item: Big Root
Moveset:
  • Horn Leech
  • Return
  • Jump Kick
  • Charm

Basalt the Camerupt
Level: 44
Item: Charcoal
Moveset:
  • Earth Power
  • Fire Blast
  • Lava Plume
  • Rock Slide

Jam the Frillish (female) :frillishf:
Barracuda the Basculin (male) :basculinblue:
Mulan the Mienfoo (female) :mienfoo:
Perfume the Roselia (male) :roselia:

Number of deaths: 5

Juno the Leavanny
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Perished: Relic Passage (level 32), to a critical hit Air Slash from a trainer’s Swoobat.
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

Nuclea the Duosion
Perished: Reversal Mountain (level 40), to a Flare Blitz from a trainer’s Darmanitan.
Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psychic
  • Energy Ball
  • Charm

Horus the Lucario
Moveset:
  • Shadow Claw
  • Bone Rush
  • Swords Dance
  • Force Palm

Ether the Weezing
Caught: Virbank Complex (level 11)
Perished: Village Bridge (level 44), to a critical hit Flamethrower in sunlight from a trainer’s Magby.
Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Fire Blast
  • Shadow Ball

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Hi guys! Welcome back to update 10 of my White 2 Wedlocke challenge! It's been ages since we beat the last gym, but I'm glad to say that we're taking on the next Gym Leader, Drayden, in this episode! Will we be able to earn the Legend Badge without any casualties?!

Update 10:
Last time, we left off after the unfortunate death of poor Ether. After a brief funeral, we paired up Bronx with Cinderella, a female Litwick :litwick:. At the start of this update, I train up Cinderella to level 44. Luckily, I can train against Audino of much higher levels than her. After all, the Audino can’t touch her because of her Ghost type. As a result of this, training her doesn’t take too long. During training, she evolves into Lampent :lampent: at level 41 and I immediately evolve her into Chandelure :chandelure: using a Dusk Stone. Normally, I like to keep my Pokemon in their second stage for a while. At this point in the game however, danger lurks around every corner, so I’m not messing around anymore.

After training, I defeat the remaining trainers in Village Bridge. Afterwards, I head on to Route 11. As I make my way to Opelucid City, Virizion jumps in my way from a cliff and as I’m leading with Cinderella anyway, I decide I might as well defeat it for the fun of it. Rather unsurprisingly, Fire Blast makes short work of Virizion. Before making my way into Opelucid City itself, I get my encounter there, a male Gligar. I try to catch him with Basalt, but Gligar is knocked out because Basalt’s Lava Plume is a critical hit. *Sigh*. Oh well, I guess we have enough male Pokemon in the PC anyway.

I have more luck on Route 9, where I catch a male Pawniard :pawniard:, which I name Sabre, after a type of sword. The battles on Route 9 go by without too much trouble, except for one scary moment where the Krookodile of a pair of Hooligans knocks Basalt’s HP bar to its red region with Dig. In the Shopping Mall on Route 9, I buy some X Items, which have saved the day earlier in this playthrough, as well as the TM for Giga Impact, which may prove useful on Faline as a last resort later in this playthrough.

I head over to the Opelucid Gym, where I beat Drayden’s Gym trainers with Syrio as practice for the real thing. It’s reassuring to see Blizzard one-shot most of the dragons in the Gym. Before taking on Drayden, though, I decide to make my way back to Driftveil City and the PWT to get rid of Strength on Bronx and replace it with Rock Slide. I also stock up on Moomoo Milk while I’m there; four dozen should be enough for the remainder of the journey. Finally, I stop by Undella Bay to get my encounter there before I head on back to the Opelucid Gym. I find a female Wailmer :wailmer: – finally, another female –in a spot of rippling water. I catch her and name her Anne, after the luxury cruise ship in the Generation 1 games. Once she evolves, she’ll be about the same size anyway.

As I’m about to challenge Drayden, I get a little worried about Blizzard’s PP. I’m also a bit hesitant about using Cava, as I believe his Druddigon has Revenge and his Flygon is definitely not Cava’s cup of tea. Therefore, I decide to teach Icy Wind to Syrio as well at the Move Tutor in Lentimas Town. After all, it’s better to spend some shards than to lose one of my partners!
After that, I train everyone up to level 47 and go on to challenge Drayden.

Boss Battle: Gym Leader Drayden
I lead with Syrio against Drayden, after equipping him with the Expert Belt to boost his super effective Ice attacks. I recalled Drayden leading with his Druddigon, which is indeed the case.

vs.

I start with Blizzard, confident that Syrio would outspeed the Druddigon. Syrio succeeds in moving first and takes out the Druddigon with one magnificent Blizzard.

vs.

Next up is Flygon, which I tackle with Syrio as well. Flygon’s quadruple weakness to Ice should allow me to take it out with the less powerful, but more accurate Icy Wind. Icy Wind does take out Flygon, but not before it gets an Earth Power off on Syrio, taking out 1/3 of his HP.

vs.

Finally, Drayden sends out his ace, Haxorus. Syrio has taken quite a bit of damage, but I’m hesitant to keep him in and heal him, afraid that Drayden will make use of the situation by setting up Dragon Dance. Therefore, I decide to switch to Cava, as I’m pretty sure Haxorus has no tricks up its sleeve for Steel types. However, I do think it has Dragon Tail, so instead of setting up Swords Dance, I decide to hit it with Earthquake right away to prevent Cava from being sent out without doing any damage.
Haxorus decides to go for Dragon Dance instead, being dealt about 60% of damage by Cava’s Earthquake shortly after. However, it eats its Sitrus Berry, healing back up to about 40% of its health. It will come down to the wire if the next Earthquake will be enough to take it out!
Haxorus, apparently intent on not doing any damage to Cava, goes for another Dragon Dance, which it comes to regret as it faints to Cava’s next Earthquake. The Legend Badge is ours!

Pair 1:

Syrio the Samurott
Level: 48
Moveset:
  • Icy Wind
  • Surf
  • Encore
  • Blizzard

Cava the Excadrill
Level: 47
Moveset:
  • X-Scissor
  • Swords Dance
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
Pair 2:

Bronx the Scrafty
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Rock Slide
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Cinderella the Chandelure
Item: Spell Tag
Moveset:
  • Shadow Ball
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Flame Burst
  • Fire Blast
Pair 3:

Faline the Sawsbuck
Moveset:
  • Horn Leech
  • Return
  • Jump Kick
  • Charm

Basalt the Camerupt
Item: Soft Sand
Moveset:
  • Earth Power
  • Fire Blast
  • Lava Plume
  • Rock Slide

And on that bombshell, it's time to leave things off! Thank you for reading this update!

Perfume the Roselia (male) :Roselia:
Sabre the Pawniard (male) :pawniard:
Anne the Wailmer (female) :wailmer:

Juno the Leavanny
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

Nuclea the Duosion
Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psychic
  • Energy Ball
  • Charm

Horus the Lucario
Moveset:
  • Shadow Claw
  • Bone Rush
  • Swords Dance
  • Force Palm

Ether the Weezing
Perished: Village Bridge (level 44), to a critical hit Flamethrower in sunlight from a trainer’s Magby.
Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Venoshock
  • Shadow Ball

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Whoa! What's this? Could it be the revival of an ancient challenge? Yup, that's right! After a four-and-a-half month hiatus, this challenge is finally back on track! When I started this challenge, I said I'd finish it, so finish it I will!

___

Okay, so where were we in the story? I left off the last update after I defeated Drayden. However, I continued playing up until Humilau City before I got distracted by the Nuzlocke Hunger Games and Marriplays. After we defeated Drayden, Team Plasma came along and froze Opelucid City. Drayden and I then teamed up to defeat Zinzolin and some Team Plasma goons and even though we succeeded, Team Plasma still stole the DNA Splicers because Drayden was all like 'Oh, they're gone, guess I'll take the DNA Splicers out of their perfectly safe hiding place for no reason at all'. So, we just headed on over to Humilau City for the next Gym because Team Plasma vanished into thin air.

As we arrived in Humilau City, I decided it would be best to do some training first and get a few encounters as well. I first got my encounters on Route 21, which was a male Mantyke :mantyke: I named Kite, and in Humilau City, which was a female Corsola :corsola: I named Magenta. Then, we headed over to Route 22, where I got my guaranteed Marill :marill: encounter. I caught a male Marill and named him Buoy. Catching a Marill here was part of a long con. After all, because I already have a Marill and a Basculin, I can now get a Lapras in Village Bridge by surfing in rippling water spots thanks to Dupes Clause.

So, I headed over to Village Bridge and tried finding a Lapras. After about 45 minutes of searching and 39 rippling spots (a long con indeed), I find a male Lapras :lapras:. Because I think the Lapras here have Perish Song and they're also pretty hard to catch, I decide to just throw my Master Ball at it. I name our new addition Caruso, after the famous tenor.

Caruso the Lapras joins the reserves!
Somehow, I simultaneously hope and don't hope that I'll get to use him on the team.

Afterwards, I take out the trainers in the Humilau Gym with Faline which, despite a few scary encounters against a Walrein and a Pelipper, goes without any trouble. I then train the rest of the team up to level 51 against wild Audino, after which I challenge the final Gym Leader in the game, Marlon!

vs.
I lead with Faline against Marlon's Carracosta. If I recall correctly, his Carracosta has Sturdy, so I go for Return first to break it and avoid Marlon's healing items. Return deals about 10%, while Carracosta goes for Crunch in return, which deals about 25% to Faline. I had feared Shell Smash, but now that he hasn't gone for it, Faline safely takes out Carracosta with Horn Leech, recovering all her HP in the process.

vs.
Marlon sends out Wailord next, which is knocked down to about 10% of its health with Horn Leech. Meanwhile, Marlon decides it would be wise to go for Amnesia against a Sawsbuck. Marlon then heals Wailord with a Hyper Potion, but Horn Leech knocks it right back down and then takes it out on the next turn.

vs.
Finally, Jellicent comes out. Faline knocks it down to about 10% with Horn Leech, but its Sitrus Berry heals it. However, Jellicent's Cursed Body activates, disabling Faline's Horn Leech. What's more, Jellicent goes for Scald, which leaves Faline with a burn. While I heal my Sawsbuck's burn, Jellicent recovers, getting back up to about 90% HP. I stall a turn with Return, while Jellicent goes for Scald again, which doesn't get the burn this time. I heal Faline with a Moomoo Milk and Jellicent's Scald fails to burn Faline again. Finally, Horn Leech is disabled no more and takes out the Jellicent, earning us the Wave Badge!

TO BE CONTINUED...
___

Pair 1:

Syrio the Samurott
Level: 51
Moveset:
  • Icy Wind
  • Surf
  • Encore
  • Return

Cava the Excadrill
Item: Soft Sand
Moveset:
  • X-Scissor
  • Swords Dance
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
Pair 2:

Bronx the Scrafty
Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Rock Slide
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Cinderella the Chandelure
Moveset:
  • Shadow Ball
  • Energy Ball
  • Flame Burst
  • Fire Blast
Pair 3:

Faline the Sawsbuck
Level: 52
Moveset:
  • Horn Leech
  • Return
  • Jump Kick
  • Charm

Basalt the Camerupt
Item: Quick Claw
Moveset:
  • Earth Power
  • Fire Blast
  • Lava Plume
  • Rock Slide
Halite the Boldore (male) :boldore:
Perfume the Roselia (male) :roselia:
Sabre the Pawniard (male) :pawniard:
Anne the Wailmer (female) :wailmer:
Buoy the Marill (male) :marill:
Magenta the Corsola (female) :corsola:
Kite the Mantyke (male) :mantyke:
Caruso the Lapras (male) :lapras:
___

Juno the Leavanny
Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

Nuclea the Duosion
Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psychic
  • Energy Ball
  • Charm

Horus the Lucario
Moveset:
  • Shadow Claw
  • Bone Rush
  • Swords Dance
  • Force Palm

Ether the Weezing
Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Venoshock
  • Shadow Ball

Last edited: