Wedlocke [FINALE] Calaf's Pokemon White 2 Wedlocke Challenge

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Welcome back to the next update of this challenge! Last time, we beat Marlon, so now it's time to kick some Plasma ass. Will the team survive the resulting fights?
___

Update 12: The Plasma Gauntlet

After defeating Marlon, Hugh sends us to Route 22 to look for Team Plasma. Here, Colress gives us his trademarked machine. I head over to the Seaside Cave south of Humilau City, where we use the machine to wake up a Crustle :crustle: blocking the path. Since we're probably not gonna find a Tynamo here, I decide the Crustle is probably as good an encounter as we're gonna get, so I catch it in a Quick Ball. I name the guy Alhambra, after the famous fortress in Granada.

Afterwards, we reach the Plasma Frigate, but we can't seem to enter it. However, Marlon is a lad and lowers the boarding plank for us, allowing Hugh and I to enter. On the Plasma Frigate, we battle a small army of grunts without any difficulties. Then, as we have found the keycard and password and have proceeded to the inner part of the ship, we reach the tank where Kyurem is held and sage Zinzolin challenges us to a double battle with a grunt, for which Hugh shows up to help us.

vs.
As we enter the double battle, I figure it is time to make use of Basalt's newest move: Eruption. After all, it hits both of the opponents. However, Hugh's Serperior takes out Zinzolin's Cryogonal preemptively with Leaf Blade, so Basalt only takes out the grunt's Liepard after sustaining minor damage from its Slash.

vs.
On this turn, roughly the same thing happens. Serperior destroys the second Cryogonal and Basalt takes out Watchog, which had targeted Serperior.

vs.
At this point, I think I've got this battle in the bag. After all, there's no way either of the opponents will survive an Eruption, right? Right? Wrong. Before Basalt can move, Zinzolin's Weavile scores a critical hit with Night Slash and knocks out Basalt from nearly full health. Meanwhile, Serperior deals 75% damage to Weavile, but takes some heavy damage from Scolipede's Steamroller.

vs.
I send out Faline next and desperately try to keep her alive. I target Scolipede with Return, thinking Serperior will knock Weavile out, but Serperior is taken out by Ice Shard before it can. Scolipede takes just over half of Faline's health with Steamroller.

vs.
I heal Faline back up to full health, but a combined Ice Shard and Steamroller takes her down to 4 hit points. Meanwhile, Hugh's Unfezant charges up Razor Wind. AAARGH, WHYYYY? JUST TAKE ONE OUT! If any of them scores a crit, Faline is most certainly dead. I heal her up again and she gets knocked down once more. Thankfully though, Hugh scores a double critical hit with Razor Wind, taking both opponents out. Phew, maybe it wasn't such a bad move after all. And so, we've defeated Zinzolin, but at a great cost.

After this battle, we get booted off the Frigate by the Shadow Triad. Now, we have to pursue Team Plasma to the Giant Chasm, but first, I have to say goodbye to Basalt and train up a new team member. I choose Caruso the Lapras :lapras: as Faline's new partner and train him up about 20 levels so he's on par with the rest of the team again. Then, I head over to the Giant Chasm. We first catch a new encounter here, a male Piloswine :piloswine:. Since his Pokedex entry says he can find truffles in frozen ground, I name him Gourmet. We then head on to defeat Team Plasma.

We make it back onto the Plasma Frigate, where we defeat another small army of grunts and solve a puzzle to open a barrier blocking the way. As I head on to defeat Colress, Zinzolin ambushes us for another battle. Damn it, would he leave us alone already?! Thankfully, we are leading with Bronx :scrafty: this time. Bronx easily takes out both Cryogonals with Brick Break, while they attempt to set up screens. Zinzolin's Weavile then gets another crit with Slash, but it only does just over half, allowing Bronx to take it out.
With Zinzolin defeated, we can head on to challenge Colress. I lead against him with my trusty Excadrill :excadrill: Cava.

vs.
Colress leads with his Magneton. I set up Swords Dance once, while Magneton does about 20% with Flash Cannon. Cava then uses Earthquake, but Magneton's Sturdy triggers, while Magneton does another 20% with Flash Cannon. We both heal our mons. Two more EQs take Magneton out, but he scores a crit Flash Cannon, leaving Cava at 60% HP.

vs.
Next up is Magnezone, which gets knocked down to 1 HP thanks to Sturdy with Earthquake, while it does about 30% of Cava's HP with Flash Cannon. Magnezone hits a little harder than I'd like it to, so I take it out instead of healing.

vs.
Beheeyem gets sent out next, but it's easily taken out by Cava's X-Scissor.

vs.
Then, Colress sends out Klinklang, which has an Air Balloon. Therefore, I heal Cava first. Meanwhile, Klinklang uses Shift Gear.
I pop its balloon with X-Scissor while Klinklang sets up some more. In fact, Klinklang is hell-bent on setting up apparently, because he uses Shift Gear again, which is a mistake as it's easily taken out by Cava's Earthquake.

vs.
Finally, Colress sends out Metang, but it's no match for Cava's boosted Earthquake.

After we defeated Colress, he's all like 'welp, I don't really care what happens anymore' and lets us continue to Ghetsis' control room. Here, Ghetsis delivers a speech about how he wants to rule the Unova regio and then takes off, leaving the Shadow Triad to take us out. Luckily, Bronx :scrafty: instantly destroys all their Pokemon with Brick Break, aside from Accelgor :accelgor:, which is taken out by Cinderella :chandelure:. Before taking on Ghetsis, I make a short trip back to Driftveil City to teach Bronx Crunch in preparation for Ghetsis' Cofagrigus.
We then make it back and go outside of the Frigate and into the inner cave of the Chasm. Here, Ghetsis summons Kyurem and threatens to have it freeze us in order to lure N and his Reshiram to come to our rescue. When does, Ghetsis uses the DNA Splicers to have Kyurem absorb Reshiram and become Kyurem-White.

vs.
I lead with Bronx against Kyurem. Now, the big question here is, can Kyurem survive a Hi Jump Kick from Scrafty? Turns out that he can, but only by a sliver of health. He doesn't do much damage in return though with Slash. Therefore, he tries his luck with Ice Burn, but is taken out with Brick Break on the charging turn.

Ghetsis gets kinda triggered that we took out Kyurem so easily after he went through all the trouble of preparing it, so he tries to destroy us himself and challenges us to a battle.

vs.
Ghetsis sends out Cofagrigus first. Bronx uses Crunch and takes Cofagrigus down to 30%, while Cofagrigus poisons Bronx with Toxic.
Cofagrigus manages to stall two turns with Protect. I decide to heal Bronx first, but as it turns out, I forgot to buy Full Restores, so I just use an Antidote before taking out Cofagrigus with Crunch.

vs.
Next up is Ghetsis' Seismitoad, so I send out Cinderella. She easily dispatches Seismitoad with Energy Ball.

vs.
Drapion comes out next, so I switch back to Bronx. After Drapion uses Earthquake, Bronx is at about 30% HP. Drapion is also left at about 30% after
enduring a Hi Jump Kick. I heal Bronx up with a Hyper Potion. Drapion gets two more Earthquakes off, leaving Bronx at 60% HP, before being taken out with Brick Break.

vs.
Ghetsis sends out Toxicroak, which takes half of Cinderella health with Sucker Punch before being taken out with Psychic.

vs.
Next up is Eelektross. I fear this thing may have Aqua Tail, so I switch to Bronx. Hi Jump Kick takes Eelektross down to 80%, while Eelektross
retaliates with Thunderbolt, which takes about 20%. I decide this would be the best time to heal in preparation for Ghetsis' Hydreigon, so I use
my final healing item for this pair. And that's the point where Eelektross suddenly goes for Acrobatics, taking me right back down to 40%. Dangit!
Bronx does take out Eelektross on the next turn with Brick Break and gets the Moxie boost.

vs.
As Ghetsis sends out his ace, Hydreigon, I'm out of healing items for this pair, so I just hope for the best and go for Brick Break, but Hydreigon's Dragon Rush takes Bronx out from his remaining health. At this point, I know Cinderella is already dead, as she can't touch Hydreigon. Indeed, Hydreigon takes her out with Crunch, taking out the pair.

vs.
If I recall correctly, his Hydreigon doesn't have Fire Blast or Earth Power, so I send in Cava to finish the job. However, Hydreigon gets two flinches
in a row with Dragon Rush, leaving Cava in knock-out range. After I heal Cava up, the next Dragon Rush misses and Cava takes out the foul beast with X-Scissor.

And so, we've finally defeated Team Plasma. However, it cost me half my team in one episode. For the next episode, we'll have to choose another pair to replace poor Bronx and Cinderella.

That leaves me with a question for you guys: which Pokemon do you think would make the best additions to the team for the Elite Four and Champion?

Thanks for reading along and I'll see you on the next update!
___
Pair 1:

Syrio the Samurott
Level: 53
Nature: Modest
Ability: Torrent
Item: Silk Scarf
Moveset:
  • Icy Wind
  • Surf
  • Encore
  • Return

Cava the Excadrill
Level: 54
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Rush
Item: Soft Sand
Moveset:
  • X-Scissor
  • Swords Dance
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
Pair 2:

Faline the Sawsbuck
Nature: Bashful
Ability: Serene Grace
Item: Expert Belt
Moveset:
  • Horn Leech
  • Return
  • Jump Kick
  • Charm

Caruso the Lapras
Ability: Shell Armor
Item: Shell Bell
Moveset:
  • Hydro Pump
  • Surf
  • Psychic
  • Ice Beam
Roquefort the Rattata (male) :rattata:
Cheops the Yamask (male) :yamask:
Aztec the Sigilyph (male) :sigilyph:
Cashmere the Minccino (male) :minccino:
Percival the Karrablast (male) :karrablast:
Albus the Ducklett (male) :ducklett:
Spark the Joltik (male) :joltik:
Halite the Boldore (male) :boldore:
Kaa the Seviper (male) :seviper:
Mario the Banette (male) :banette:
Barracuda the Basculin (male) :basculinblue:
Perfume the Roselia (male) :roselia:
Sabre the Pawniard (male) :pawniard:
Buoy the Marill (male) :marill:
Kite the Mantyke (male) :mantyke:
Alhambra the Crustle (male) :crustle:
Gourmet the Piloswine (male) :piloswine:

Marlene the Petilil (female) :petilil:
Jam the Frillish (female) :frillishf:
Mulan the Mienfoo (female) :mienfoo:
Anne the Wailmer (female) :wailmer:
Magenta the Corsola (female) :corsola:
___

Number of deaths: 8

Juno the Leavanny
Caught: Route 20 (level 3)
Perished: Route 6 (level 29), to a critical hit Ember from a trainer’s Castform
Nature: Bold
Ability: Swarm
Final Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Caught: Route 19 (level 4)
Perished: Relic Passage (level 32), to a critical hit Air Slash from a trainer’s Swoobat.
Nature: Timid
Ability: Limber
Final Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

Nuclea the Duosion
Caught: Route 16 (level 21)
Perished: Reversal Mountain (level 40), to a Flare Blitz from a trainer’s Darmanitan.
Nature: Gentle
Ability: Overcoat
Final Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psychic
  • Energy Ball
  • Charm

Horus the Lucario
Caught: Floccesy Ranch (level 5)
Perished: Reversal Mountain (level 40), to a Flare Blitz from a trainer’s Darmanitan.
Nature: Docile
Ability: Steadfast
Final Moveset:
  • Shadow Claw
  • Bone Rush
  • Swords Dance
  • Force Palm

Ether the Weezing
Caught: Virbank Complex (level 11)
Perished: Village Bridge (level 44), to a critical hit Flamethrower in sunlight from a trainer’s Magby.
Nature: Naïve
Ability: Levitate
Final Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Venoshock
  • Shadow Ball

Basalt the Camerupt
Caught: Reversal Mountain (level 33)
Perished: Plasma Frigate (level 52), to a critical hit Night Slash from Zinzolin's Weavile.
Nature: Naive
Ability: Magma Armor
Final Moveset:
  • Earth Power
  • Fire Blast
  • Eruption
  • Rock Slide

Bronx the Scrafty
Caught: Route 4 (level 17)
Perished: Giant Chasm (level 56), to Dragon Rush from Ghetsis' Hydreigon
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Moxie
Final Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Crunch
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Cinderella the Chandelure
Caught: Celestial Tower (level 27)
Perished: Giant Chasm (level 54), to Crunch from Ghetsis' Hydreigon
Ability: Flash Fire
Final Moveset:
  • Shadow Ball
  • Energy Ball
  • Psychic
  • Fire Blast

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
So many deaths. Oof.

I think Cheops the Yamask and Mulan the Mienfoo would make a nice final pair.

Cheops' ghost typing will be useful against Caitlin and even Shauntal although you're also risking taking super effective damage then. It gives you a fighting immunity as well which should definitely help out against Marshall. (Especially considering you have 3 fighting weaknesses right now)

Meanwhile Mulan can help against Grimsley while also covering up for Cheops' dark weaknesses.

Neither of them are amazing against the Champion, but you have a Lapras which should help you out slaying those dragons.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Kaori: That's a great suggestion! I went with that for my (hopefully) final pair.

While I was fairly set on using Mulan :mienfoo:, I was a bit on the fence for the male half of the pair. Since Bronx was my solution to both Shauntal and Caitlin, I was considering Sabre :pawniard: as an addition as well. I really need to find something against the major Fighting weakness my team has though, so I decided against that idea. Then, I considered Spark :joltik: for a brief moment, as Galvantula and Mienshao covers each others weaknesses almost perfectly, but using two relatively frail Pokemon in one pair is generally a bad idea in a Wedlocke. Therefore, Cheops is probably my best bet in the long run.

___

Update 13: The Road to Victory
Thanks to Audino and the great level curve for wild Pokemon in these games, I finished training up the new pair in a few hours. Then, I entered Route 23 and caught my encounter, a male Gligar :gligar: I named Glide. I then moved on along Route 23 towards the badge check gates. Here, N was waiting and gifted me the HM for Waterfall, which I taught to Caruso for now. After reaching the checkpoint past the badge gates, I healed up once more and then went on through Victory Road.

Oof, lemme tell you a little about Victory Road. I didn't remember it as being overly difficult, but then again, I had never played a Wedlocke through it. Man, is this place tough in Black & White 2. All the Ace Trainers and Veterans there have such strong Pokemon, all fully-evolved and armed to the teeth with TMs. My Pokemon nearly died so many times in here. I won't give a full account of all these trainer battles, as it would take way too long, but here's a quick top 3 scary situations while I was in here:
  1. Caruso :lapras: had to survive a Superpower from a Darmanitan :darmanitan:.
  2. In the same trainer battle, I had to rely on a high roll to have Faline :sawsbucksummer: take out a Tangrowth :tangrowth: with Megahorn, as the first Megahorn had only done slightly less than half and Tangrowth's Sludge Bomb did a solid 70% to Faline.
  3. Cheops :cofagrigus: had to take out a Sigilyph and a Crobat in a row, while the former hit very hard with Psychic and the latter had Shadow Ball, as if this is gen 3.
I had planned on fighting most trainers in here, but after a while, I decided that it was just too dangerous and went on to find the fastest route to the end, while dodging as many trainers as I could. Finally, I reached the top, where Hugh showed up as the final hurdle before the Pokemon League.

vs.
Hugh leads with Unfezant, while I send out Cheops. His Unfezant goes for Swagger and although I attempt to go for Will-O-Wisp, Cheops immediately hits itself in confusion. Luckily, his Attack stat is virtually nonexistent, so it doesn't do much damage. On the next turn, Unfezant deals very little damage with Aerial Ace and triggers Mummy. Cheops already breaks out of confusion, but misses Will-O-Wisp. Both sides continue to be blind, as Cheops misses Will-O-Wisp once more, while Unfezant misses Swagger twice. Over the next few turns, Cheops steadily chips down Unfezant, while coming out with about 75% HP thanks to his Leftovers, which negated Unfezant's attacks and the confusion damage nicely.

vs.
Next up is Simisear, which worries me a little. I had expected Simipour and taught Cheops Energy Ball in preparation, but I forgot Hugh deviates from the elemental monkey pattern of Black and White. Still, Cheops Special Defense is alright, so I keep him in. Simisear's Flamethrower leaves Cheops at about 30% health after Leftovers. Cheops hits Simisear for about 40% of its HP with Shadow Ball, but lowers its SpD, leaving it in knock-out range. I heal up Cheops, hoping he will have more than 50% of his health after Flamethrower. Thankfully, this is the case and he endures the next hit of Flamethrower, which allows him to take out Simisear with Shadow Ball.

vs.
Then, Hugh sends out Bouffalant, so I bring in Mulan, who successfully OHKOes the buffalo with Hi Jump Kick.

vs.
Finally, Serperior comes out. It goes for Leaf Blade immediately, taking about 60% of Mulan's health. Mulan retaliates with Acrobatics though,
which gets boosted by her Flying Gem and gets a critical hit to boot, destroying Serperior in one blow.

And so, we've reached the final challenge without any more casualties. The next update will follow soon, probably within few days, but I have to train up the team first, get rid of those pesky HM moves and think of a strategy. Thanks for reading along for now!
___
Pair 1:

Syrio the Samurott
Level: 57
Item: Silk Scarf
Moveset:
  • Icy Wind
  • Surf
  • Encore
  • Return

Cava the Excadrill
Item: Soft Sand
Moveset:
  • X-Scissor
  • Swords Dance
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
Pair 2:

Faline the Sawsbuck
Level: 56
Moveset:
  • Horn Leech
  • Return
  • Jump Kick
  • Megahorn

Caruso the Lapras
Item: Shell Bell
Moveset:
  • Waterfall
  • Surf
  • Psychic
  • Ice Beam
Pair 3:

Cheops the Cofagrigus
Nature: Careful
Item: Leftovers
Moveset:
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Shadow Ball
  • Psychic
  • Energy Ball

Mulan the Mienshao
Nature: Lonely
Item: none
Moveset:
  • Acrobatics
  • Strength
  • Hi Jump Kick
  • Drain Punch
Roquefort the Rattata (male) :rattata:
Aztec the Sigilyph (male) :sigilyph:
Cashmere the Minccino (male) :minccino:
Percival the Karrablast (male) :karrablast:
Albus the Ducklett (male) :ducklett:
Spark the Joltik (male) :joltik:
Halite the Boldore (male) :boldore:
Kaa the Seviper (male) :seviper:
Mario the Banette (male) :banette:
Barracuda the Basculin (male) :basculinblue:
Perfume the Roselia (male) :roselia:
Sabre the Pawniard (male) :pawniard:
Buoy the Marill (male) :marill:
Kite the Mantyke (male) :mantyke:
Alhambra the Crustle (male) :crustle:
Gourmet the Piloswine (male) :piloswine:
Glide the Gligar (male) :gligar:

Marlene the Petilil (female) :petilil:
Jam the Frillish (female) :frillishf:
Anne the Wailmer (female) :wailmer:
Magenta the Corsola (female) :corsola:
___

Juno the Leavanny
Final Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Perished: Relic Passage (level 32), to a critical hit Air Slash from a trainer’s Swoobat.
Final Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

Nuclea the Duosion
Final Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psychic
  • Energy Ball
  • Charm

Horus the Lucario
Final Moveset:
  • Shadow Claw
  • Bone Rush
  • Swords Dance
  • Force Palm

Ether the Weezing
Perished: Village Bridge (level 44), to a critical hit Flamethrower in sunlight from a trainer’s Magby.
Final Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Venoshock
  • Shadow Ball

Basalt the Camerupt
Perished: Plasma Frigate (level 52), to a critical hit Night Slash from Zinzolin's Weavile.
Final Moveset:
  • Earth Power
  • Fire Blast
  • Eruption
  • Rock Slide

Bronx the Scrafty
Final Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Crunch
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Final Moveset:
  • Shadow Ball
  • Energy Ball
  • Psychic
  • Fire Blast

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Alright, folks! After making some preparations, we're ready for the final challenge of this run! Before we get into the battles, let's have a look at the final team for this challenge!

Pair 1:

Syrio the Samurott
Level: 59
207/141/125/162/94/114
Moveset:
  • Ice Beam
  • Surf
  • Superpower
  • Megahorn
Surf forms the core of Syrio's moveset, being powerful and reliable STAB. Icy Wind has been replaced with Ice Beam, which can be used to take down Iris' dragons. Syrio has Megahorn to serve as a backup for Caitlin. Superpower has been added in case of a matchup against Iris' Lapras. The equipped Expert Belt maximizes the damage output of Syrio's diverse movepool.

Cava the Excadrill
213/195/98/68/96/123
Item: Soft Sand / Chesto Berry (against Caitlin)
Moveset:
  • X-Scissor
  • Swords Dance
  • Iron Head
  • Earthquake
Cava has Swords Dance to boost her attacks to outrageous heights. Earthquake is her main STAB attack, being extremely powerful and reliable. X-Scissor makes Cava the best answer to Caitlin. I replaced Rock Slide with Iron Head to have a more reliable answer to Iris' Archeops if needed. Rock Slide can be substituted for X-Scissor as needed. Cava has been equipped with a Soft Sand to boost her damage output under all circumstances.

Pair 2:

Faline the Sawsbuck
178/133/107/83/94/129
Item: Big Root
Moveset:
  • Horn Leech
  • Return
  • Jump Kick
  • Megahorn
At first instance, I don't plan on using this pair, but Faline has a powerful and diverse movepool for if she's needed after all. Horn Leech works very well in conjunction with Faline's Big Root and can be used to take out diverse threats, such as Shauntal's Golurk and Iris' Lapras. Jump Kick can be used against Grimsley and Iris' Aggron. Megahorn deals heavy damage to most of Caitlin's Pokemon. Return serves as powerful STAB to hit everything else.

Caruso the Lapras
247/109/111/114/126/93
Item: Leftovers
Moveset:
  • Thunderbolt
  • Surf
  • Psychic
  • Ice Beam
Like his partner Faline, Caruso has been equipped to serve as a fallback to diverse threats. Thunderbolt can be used to take on Iris' Lapras. STAB Ice Beam deals heavy damage to Iris' dragons. Psychic can be used to deal with Marshal. Surf serves as a reliable STAB alternative for everything else. Caruso's Leftovers capitalize off of his enormous HP stat.

Pair 3:

Cheops the Cofagrigus
162/72/206/108/144/55
Item: Rocky Helmet
Moveset:
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Haze
  • Pain Split
  • Hex
As Cheops' Special Attack is very underwhelming, I've opted for a somewhat unconventional stalling set. Cheops will be used against physical threats on Marshal's and Iris' teams. Will-O-Wisp is used to cripple the opponent, which boosts the power of Hex and makes up for Cheops' lackluster power. Pain Split works well with Cheops' relatively low HP stat and is such much needed extra recovery for this set, as I'm playing with an item limit. Haze is used as the final move of this set to prevent Pokemon from using Cheops as setup fodder. Cheops is equipped with a Rocky Helmet to maximize chip damage against the physical threats he will face.

Mulan the Mienshao
179/176/70/119/86/144
Item: Expert Belt / none (against Marshal)
Moveset:
  • Acrobatics
  • Retaliate
  • Hi Jump Kick
  • Drain Punch
Acrobatics is very powerful if Mulan isn't holding an item and is used against Marshal. Hi Jump Kick is very powerful STAB and the best option against most opponents. Drain Punch is used as an alternative with perfect accuracy if less power is needed. Retaliate rounds off Mulan's moveset for lack of better coverage options.

___

Now, without further ado, it's time to challenge the Elite four.

vs.
Marshal leads with his Throh and I counter with Mulan. I go for Acrobatics, taking 80% of Throh's health. Throh, in return, deals 5% with Rock Tomb
but lowers Mulan's speed. Marshal uses a Full Restore, but Mulan strikes with Acrobatics again, knocking Throh out with a critical hit.

vs.
Next, Marshal sends out his own Mienshao. I switch to Cheops. Cheops attempts to burn Mienshao, but it uses Bounce, dodging Cheops' Will-O-Wisp. Cheops dodges Mienshao's Bounce, but misses his attack, allowing Mienshao to jump up again unimpeded. The next Bounce hits for about 10%, but Mienshao gets damaged equally thanks to Cheops' Rocky Helmet and gets burned to boot. After enduring the next Bounce, which leaves Cheops at 70% HP, he takes out the Mienshao with Hex.

vs.
Sawk comes out next. It goes for a super-effective attack in Payback, but it only deals about 20% damage due to Sawk being faster. Unfortunately though, Will-o-Wisp misses again. Sawk knocks Cheops down some more, but he recovers back up to almost half his health thanks to Pain Split, which leaves Sawk at half its health as well. Sawk then knocks Cheops into the red, while Cheops burns Sawk, leaving it in the red as well. This time, it's time to go for the first healing item of the match. After Sawk deals about 20% damage, it dies to burn damage.

vs.
Finally, Conkeldurr is up. I go for the same strategy and burn Conkeldurr, while it sets up Bulk Up. Contrary to my expectations though, it still hits very hard with Stone Edge after the burn, taking Cofagrigus to the red zone. I had thought Conkeldurr didn't have Guts, but at this point I wonder if I was wrong. Cheops retaliates with Hex, but after the Sitrus Berry, Conkeldurr is only at about 70% HP. I heal up Cheops with a Full Restore, but he gets knocked to slightly less than half again. I use my final healing item to heal Cheops up once more and thankfully, the next Stone Edge misses. This allows Cheops to take out Conkeldurr with Hex and burn damage after enduring one more Stone Edge.

One Elite Four down!

NOTE: I checked Bulbapedia after the battle and apparently, Conkeldurr doesn't have Guts after all. He just heckin strong.

vs.
Next up is Grimsley, who is my favorite of any Elite Four (shocker, I know). I lead with Mulan against him, while he leads with his Liepard. Liepard gets off a Fake Out, but fails to outspeed my Mienshao on the next turn and falls to Mulan's Drain Punch. Bisharp gets sent out next and quickly suffers the same fate, with his quadruple weakness to Mulan's Drain Punch. Krookodile gets sent out next and Intimidates Mulan, but the debuff isn't enough to prevent Hi Jump Kick from taking it out. Finally, Scrafty is up and I decide to just plow through and go for Hi Jump Kick again, which takes it out.

Two down, two to go!

vs.
I lead with Cava against Caitlin's Musharna. Because I remember the trick up Caitlin's sleeve, I equipped Cava with a Chesto Berry. As we start
the battle, Musharna goes for Yawn twice and Cava falls asleep, but wakes up immediately due to her Chesto Berry. This allows her to set up
Swords Dance twice. The 3x Attack boost allows Cava to sweep Caitlin's entire team easily with X-Scissor, with the exception of Sigilyph,
which is OHKO'ed with a STAB Iron Head instead.

And so, Cava brings the tally to three!

vs.
Last up is Shauntal, the Ghost-type-using novelist. I lead with Cava against Shauntal's Cofagrigus. I expect it to burn Cava, but I don't think it can hurt her much otherwise. Therefore, I let Cava set up Swords Dance once and incur the burn. As Cava goes for Swords Dance again, Cofagrigus does only about 20% with Shadow Ball, but lowers Cava's Special Defense. After going for Swords Dance once more, I heal Cava with a Full Restore and subsequently take out Cofagrigus with one Earthquake.

vs.
Next up is Chandelure, which is a big mistake on Shauntal's part, as Cava outspeeds and OHKOes it with Earthquake.

vs.
At this point, Golurk comes out. I had planned to switch to Syrio at this point, but I wonder if Cava couldn't take it out with Earthquake.
Part of me wants to risk it, as it would make knocking out her final Pokemon, which I think is Drifblim, considerably easier.
Especially considering I made a mistake, I realize at this point. I had wanted to swap out X-Scissor for Rock Slide to deal with Drifblim.
Furthermore, if I remember wrong and her last Pokemon is Jellicent, I'm in a world of pain if I ditch Cava's boost. Therefore, I YOLO it, as the
kids say these days and keep Cava in against Golurk. Thankfully, Golurk falls in one hit of Earthquake, maybe thanks to the critical hit Cava scored.

vs.
Shauntal's final Pokemon is indeed Drifblim, which is outsped and OHKO'ed by Cava's heavily boosted Iron Head.

With all Elite Four defeated, only the Champion remains! This final battle will probably be the toughest we've faced so far, so it deserves its own update. I'll see you next time for the final update!

___

Juno the Leavanny
Final Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Final Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

Nuclea the Duosion
Final Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psychic
  • Energy Ball
  • Charm

Horus the Lucario
Final Moveset:
  • Shadow Claw
  • Bone Rush
  • Swords Dance
  • Force Palm

Ether the Weezing
Final Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Venoshock
  • Shadow Ball

Basalt the Camerupt
Final Moveset:
  • Earth Power
  • Fire Blast
  • Eruption
  • Rock Slide

Bronx the Scrafty
Final Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Crunch
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Final Moveset:
  • Shadow Ball
  • Energy Ball
  • Psychic
  • Fire Blast

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Welcome to the final update for this run! After a long journey, it's finally time for the final battle, which will most likely be the toughest battle yet. It's time to challenge the Champion, Iris!

___

Vs. Champion Iris
vs.
I lead with Mulan against Iris' Hydreigon. Mulan outspeeds the foul beast and knocks it out in one blow with Hi Jump Kick, preventing a similar
scenario as the one that happened in Giant Chasm.

vs.
Next up is Druddigon, so it's time for Cheops to shine! I burn it with Will-O-Wisp, expecting the Druddigon to be a physical build, when it hits
Cheops with Flamethrower. Definitely wasn't expecting that one. Thankfully, it only does about 25%, so we should be fine. The next Flamethrower takes Cheops down to about 50% health, while Cheops' Hex and burn damage take Druddigon to 40% of its HP. I figure I can take one more Flamethrower and take Druddigon out with Hex, which will prevent Iris' Full Restore from triggering. However, at this point, Cheops gets hit by a critical hit Flamethrower and is knocked out. Sigh Crits always happens at the worst times.

vs.
At this point, Mulan will have to avenge her way through Iris' entire team. I don't know if she'll make it, but we'll just have to try. At least
she's able to avenge her beloved Cheops by taking out the damn Druddigon with Drain Punch.

vs.
Iris sends out Aggron next. I assume it has Sturdy, but I go for Hi Jump Kick just in case. To my surprise, Aggron doesn't have Sturdy at all and is defeated by Mulan's attack. Just a dumb move on the AI's part, I guess.

vs.
The fourth Pokemon Iris sends out is Archeops. I guess this is where Mulan will meet her demise. Right? Wrong! Mulan outspeeds the Archeops and OHKOes it with Hi Jump Kick, thanks to the opponent's shabby Defense.

vs.
Next up is Iris' ace, Haxorus. Hi Jump Kick knocks Haxorus down to 20% HP, while the opponent Dragon Dances. Iris uses a Full Restore, but
Mulan knocks Haxorus back down. Then, however, Haxorus goes for Earthquake and scores a critical hit, knocking Mulan out. And so, Mulan's incredible redemption arc was cut short. To think she was only one Drain Punch away from avenging her partner through Iris' entire team. Rest in piece, my beloved Mienshao.

vs.
I send out Caruso, who takes Haxorus' Earthquake like a champ and knocks it out. Finally, Iris' Lapras is up. Caruso does have Thunderbolt to deal with it, but I presume Iris' Lapras does as well and Caruso is only at about 60% health. Therefore, I decide it's best to switch out to Faline.

vs.
Faline takes about 50% of Lapras' health with Horn Leech, but gets hit with Ice Beam in return. I watch in anguish as her health bar keeps on dropping, but thankfully, it finally stops at 28 of 178 HP. Avenging her fallen teammates, Faline knocks out Lapras with a second Horn Leech.

___

And so, we've finally beaten this challenge! It's been a long journey and there have certainly been some heartbreaking deaths, but in the end, the team pulled through!

Thanks for reading along and until another challenge!

___

Syrio the Samurott
Met: Aspertia City (level 5)
Partner(s):
Persia, Cava
Final Moveset:
  • Ice Beam
  • Surf
  • Superpower
  • Megahorn

Cava the Excadrill
Level: 61
Caught: Relic Passage (level 27)
Partner(s): Syrio
Final Moveset:
  • X-Scissor
  • Swords Dance
  • Iron Head
  • Earthquake

Faline the Sawsbuck
Met: Route 6 (level 30)
Partner(s):
Basalt, Caruso
Final Moveset:
  • Horn Leech
  • Return
  • Jump Kick
  • Megahorn

Caruso the Lapras
Caught: Village Bridge (level 33)
Partner(s): Faline
Final Moveset:
  • Thunderbolt
  • Surf
  • Psychic
  • Ice Beam

Total number of deaths: 10

Juno the Leavanny
Partner(s): Horus
Final Moveset:
  • Razor Leaf
  • Protect
  • Bug Bite
  • Return

Persia the Liepard
Partner(s): Syrio
Final Moveset:
  • Return
  • Thunder Wave
  • Snarl
  • Seed Bomb

Nuclea the Duosion
Partner(s): Horus
Final Moveset:
  • Thunder Wave
  • Psychic
  • Energy Ball
  • Charm

Horus the Lucario
Partner(s): Juno, Nuclea
Final Moveset:
  • Shadow Claw
  • Bone Rush
  • Swords Dance
  • Force Palm

Ether the Weezing
Partner(s): Bronx
Final Moveset:
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Venoshock
  • Shadow Ball

Basalt the Camerupt
Partner(s): Faline
Final Moveset:
  • Earth Power
  • Fire Blast
  • Eruption
  • Rock Slide

Bronx the Scrafty
Partner(s): Ether, Cinderella
Final Moveset:
  • Brick Break
  • Crunch
  • Payback
  • Hi Jump Kick

Partner(s): Bronx
Final Moveset:
  • Shadow Ball
  • Energy Ball
  • Psychic
  • Fire Blast

Cheops the Cofagrigus
Caught: Relic Castle (level 20)
Perished: Pokemon League (level 59), to a critical hit Flamethrower from Iris' Druddigon
Partner(s): Mulan
Ability: Mummy
Final Moveset:
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Haze
  • Pain Split
  • Hex

Mulan the Mienshao
Caught: Route 14 (level 35)
Perished: Pokemon League (level 61), to a critical hit Earthquake from Iris' Haxorus
Partner(s): Cheops
Ability: Regenerator
Final Moveset:
  • Acrobatics
  • Retaliate
  • Hi Jump Kick
  • Drain Punch

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Shoutout to Mulan for a great battle! Two crit deaths againt the champ though... hurts.

Congrats on finishing the challenge!